PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Provo MSA Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32

SLC Projects
Feb 22, 2015, 6:59 AM
Guys, I did say BESIDES the office park at Thankgiving Point. I agree that area was a waste.

Highrise_Mike
Feb 22, 2015, 12:21 PM
Why do you say that TDR's could be problematic in the future? I was close to presenting a full TDR program in Payson prior to getting laid off. I was going to include several areas that were agricultural uses currently outside the city boundaries but within the Annexation Policy Plan boundary, as an incentive to annex into Payson as opposed to staying in the county or annexing into neighboring cities.

I think TDR are a critical component to a more sustainable future here in Utah. When I was researching TDR's I was appalled that only two cities in all of Utah had a TDR ordinance at the time, WVC and Mapelton, and only Mapleton had actually designated any sending and receiving areas.

I totally agree with you on the benefits of TRD and we have looked into an ordinance for Lehi. The reason I would say it could be problematic is more of a property rights issue. Some land owners may feel they have the right to develop their own property even if a TRD is imposed on the property. Who is to say 100 years down the road the future City Council couldnt approve a project on a property where the development rights were transferred. I have seen agreements made with developers and the City change and things get approved that didnt follow an agreement or area plan. I think if there is a way to do a TRD on a property and 100% ensure that it doesnt get developed in the future, then I am all for it. Dont get me wrong, Im not a downer on TRD! Im also not as well educated on it as you and I could be wrong with these concerns. I think preserving agricultural land is important and also allowing clustering of densities so the city is more compact and walkable. I know its different but the urban growth boundary in Portland has been effective in preventing further sprawl but there has been a lot of fight back there from the land owners which has made it very controversial.

Did you used to work as a planner for Payson?

Future Mayor
Feb 22, 2015, 8:38 PM
I totally agree with you on the benefits of TRD and we have looked into an ordinance for Lehi. The reason I would say it could be problematic is more of a property rights issue. Some land owners may feel they have the right to develop their own property even if a TRD is imposed on the property. Who is to say 100 years down the road the future City Council couldnt approve a project on a property where the development rights were transferred. I have seen agreements made with developers and the City change and things get approved that didnt follow an agreement or area plan. I think if there is a way to do a TRD on a property and 100% ensure that it doesnt get developed in the future, then I am all for it. Dont get me wrong, Im not a downer on TRD! Im also not as well educated on it as you and I could be wrong with these concerns. I think preserving agricultural land is important and also allowing clustering of densities so the city is more compact and walkable. I know its different but the urban growth boundary in Portland has been effective in preventing further sprawl but there has been a lot of fight back there from the land owners which has made it very controversial.

Did you used to work as a planner for Payson?

Yes I did, for a year and a half until the economy got the best of the city's budget.

TDR's are a bit complicated, but I will do my best to explain it in a condensed version.

Areas that a city wouldn't mind staying agricultural they can designate as sending sites, and areas that they to possibly be more dense they designate as receiving sites. Both areas are still planned as if both would develop in a typical way, if they were to develop without using any TDR. Let's say the sending site, if developed would be 1/2 acre lots and the receiving site is zoned 1/4 acre lots.

The sending site property owner doesn't have to stay agricultural, but the TDR allows them a way to get the money they would have received if they did develop. If they choose to stay agricultural they can sell off all of their development rights or a portion of them, developing some of their property and leaving some as agricultural. They of course have to find an interested developer that wants to increase the densities in the 1/4 acre receiving site areas.

If the land owner does sell their development rights and the receiving site now becomes 1/8 acres. There are no longer development rights to that agricultural land. All land includes a bundle of rights, water, air, mineral, and development (some cites and states are different with water, and mineral, but for the most part that is what is attached to all property) The TDR allows the development rights for the property to be severed and sold and attached to another piece of property. So even if a future City Council decided that they wanted that agricultural area to be developed that property no longer has development rights attached to it, and thus CANNOT be developed.

There is an orchard north of Payson (Allred Orchads) and a horse ranch south of Payson (Taylor Ranch) that the Planning Department, Planning Commission and City Council were ready to designate as TDR sending areas, if those property owners were willing to annex into Payson City. There were a few areas under consideration for designation as TDR receiving sites, particularly the future Front Runner Station Area.

I think this is a very valuable tool a city has to allow for growth while still maintaining some of it's agricultural nature. It also allows property owner to cash in on the value of development on their land while still being able to leave it as agricultural. In Utah County, a land owner can request their land be put into Greenbelt status, which will allow them to retain lower property taxes, so they can continue to farm but not have to pay the high taxes associated with nearby development.

Mapleton used TDR's to preserve property on it's high benches. Those were the sending sites and in town were the receiving sites. I believe that a transaction has occurred in Mapleton, and now that area in the foothills will be preserved as open space, and the land owner still got the value as if it had been developed.

There you go everybody a brief lesson on how TDR's work. Yes that was the condensed version. lol

Highrise_Mike
Feb 23, 2015, 6:44 AM
Yes I did, for a year and a half until the economy got the best of the city's budget.

TDR's are a bit complicated, but I will do my best to explain it in a condensed version.

Areas that a city wouldn't mind staying agricultural they can designate as sending sites, and areas that they to possibly be more dense they designate as receiving sites. Both areas are still planned as if both would develop in a typical way, if they were to develop without using any TDR. Let's say the sending site, if developed would be 1/2 acre lots and the receiving site is zoned 1/4 acre lots.

The sending site property owner doesn't have to stay agricultural, but the TDR allows them a way to get the money they would have received if they did develop. If they choose to stay agricultural they can sell off all of their development rights or a portion of them, developing some of their property and leaving some as agricultural. They of course have to find an interested developer that wants to increase the densities in the 1/4 acre receiving site areas.

If the land owner does sell their development rights and the receiving site now becomes 1/8 acres. There are no longer development rights to that agricultural land. All land includes a bundle of rights, water, air, mineral, and development (some cites and states are different with water, and mineral, but for the most part that is what is attached to all property) The TDR allows the development rights for the property to be severed and sold and attached to another piece of property. So even if a future City Council decided that they wanted that agricultural area to be developed that property no longer has development rights attached to it, and thus CANNOT be developed.

There is an orchard north of Payson (Allred Orchads) and a horse ranch south of Payson (Taylor Ranch) that the Planning Department, Planning Commission and City Council were ready to designate as TDR sending areas, if those property owners were willing to annex into Payson City. There were a few areas under consideration for designation as TDR receiving sites, particularly the future Front Runner Station Area.

I think this is a very valuable tool a city has to allow for growth while still maintaining some of it's agricultural nature. It also allows property owner to cash in on the value of development on their land while still being able to leave it as agricultural. In Utah County, a land owner can request their land be put into Greenbelt status, which will allow them to retain lower property taxes, so they can continue to farm but not have to pay the high taxes associated with nearby development.

Mapleton used TDR's to preserve property on it's high benches. Those were the sending sites and in town were the receiving sites. I believe that a transaction has occurred in Mapleton, and now that area in the foothills will be preserved as open space, and the land owner still got the value as if it had been developed.

There you go everybody a brief lesson on how TDR's work. Yes that was the condensed version. lol

Thanks for sharing! It sounds like only when interested land owners choose to sell their development rights to a developer would this ever take place. That makes a lot more sense than forcing some properties to be sending sites. It makes sense to that in Payson the orchards could be sending sites since they would continue their agricultural use without the development rights.

Sorry to keep asking questions, but when a property sells it's development rights, do they maintain their water rights or would they have to come up with additional water shares because they sold their existing shares with the development rights? In a situation where some development rights are transferred, the City would have to make sure they have water shares dedicated for the receiving site and the sending site would need some shares to continue an agricultural use.

Anyway I guess my questions might be better asked off of the forum since this is about development and skyscrapers! At whatever point Lehi looks into adopting a TDR ordinance, I may have to refer to you for some additional questions.

Wasatch_One
Mar 5, 2015, 4:40 PM
...rendering of the new Vivint Solar (company soon to be renamed as part of their IPO) HQ south of the Thanksgiving Pt Megaplex (West side of I-15). Had solid earnings yesterday(s) and their stock is up like 21% today alone...

http://photos.prnewswire.com/featured/prnthumbnew/20150227/178477

SLC Projects
Mar 5, 2015, 6:12 PM

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/TSTAT%204%20Elevations.jpg

Are these two the same development with two different renderings or two different developments? Those are both south of TGP.

Wasatch_One
Mar 5, 2015, 6:23 PM

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/TSTAT%204%20Elevations.jpg

Are these two the same development with two different renderings or two different developments? Those are both south of TGP.

Im wondering if the one stamped with Lehi City's approval is the most up to date, if in fact that is the new Vivint Solar rendering as well.

Deek1978
Mar 5, 2015, 7:35 PM
Something is being built in Spanish Fork, west of the new Nebo Credit Union.... between Nebo CU and Costco's gas station....

Tygr, a little help? Can I find this out on www.spanishfork.org?

*edit* okay, i just did a little exploring and it looks like it's just more stores for lease...

Highrise_Mike
Mar 6, 2015, 5:44 AM

These are actually two different projects located within the same area. The Vivnt Solar phase one is already under construction with much of the foundation work complete. The rendering with the Lehi stamp on it is another building part of the overall Thanksgiving Station project. It was just approved last Thursday and the developer is looking to start construction within the next few weeks. In the area there are 5 office buildings planned with some future retail pads as well. There are a couple parking structures proposed for these buildings but in my opinion there is still too much surface parking. Also I still wish we could get rid of the 5 floor height limit in Thanksgiving Point.

delts145
Mar 6, 2015, 4:11 PM
I'm really liking the look of this design and the materials used. Great use of glass, for taking in those spectacular surrounding mountain views. I would like to see a design like this added to Salt Lake's CBD, with a lot more height of course.

tygr
Mar 6, 2015, 9:32 PM
Something is being built in Spanish Fork, west of the new Nebo Credit Union.... between Nebo CU and Costco's gas station....

Tygr, a little help? Can I find this out on www.spanishfork.org?

*edit* okay, i just did a little exploring and it looks like it's just more stores for lease...

From what I understand, it is a three or four space pad. T-Mobile is confirmed and Massage Envy is possible, but nothing else. Still waiting for some nice sit down restaurants.

Last I heard, Cinemark will break ground by early April with an open date of November 1. They will be north west of Walmart, south west of the retention pond by SAPA and will face towards US-6.

JoAnn's opened today and it looks like there's already activity at their old building on Main St.

I've also seen mention in the Springville City minutes that Harbor Freight will be opening in Spanish Fork. Springville is in an absolute panic over all of SF's new development.

delts145
Mar 6, 2015, 11:53 PM
I guess Springville has good reason to be concerned, but it was pretty predictable that Spanish Fork would become the hub for Southern Utah County. I imagine with Spanish Fork finally developing a lot more retail options, there won't be the need for shoppers in Spanish Fork, Payson and surrounding communities to travel to Springville anymore. Provo/Orem would be the next alternative for the bigger city shopping options.

UncleBucket
Mar 8, 2015, 5:12 PM
Hey everyone!

I've been checking out this blog pretty regularly for a couple years, but I finally created a profile. I've driven around the new development in Vineyard recently and can't believe how many apartments and townhouses have gone up already. I'm excited for the new movie theater too, but was wondering if anyone has any information on any retail or restaurants going in? Just seems like a big theater in the middle of a giant sea of housing.

If anyone has any details, I'd love to hear more about the plans for this area. I'd also love to hear people's thoughts on this area.

Thanks!

Future Mayor
Mar 8, 2015, 10:03 PM
Highrise Mike:

I am curious to know what connectivity plans this new Thanksgiving Point Station development has to the actual Thankgiving Point Station. Is connectivity even an option, or is it just a nice play on words using that name? If it is an option is the connectivity a major part of the overall layout or is a simply a minor afterthought, like oh hey here's a standard weaving 3' sidewalk that eventually leads to the Station?

Uncle Bucket:

Welcome to the forum. The overall plan for vineyard is to have a pretty major commercial/retail node in the same area as the theaters. They will eventually come, but the rooftops have to be in place first before the retail. Things like a theater can attract from a little further out and can stand along for a while, but other types of retail and restaurants need a certain amount of rooftops within a certain distance before they will open their doors.

I don't know if you're familiar with the View 72 area in Midvale, but it developed in a similar way. Hundreds of apartments, condos and home were built first, then the retail started to come in, some office was then added, and some additional retail come to the area.

As for time frame, I would guess that once 3-4 apartments of housing developments are completed and several others are either in the works or announced that the retail will start to fill in around the movie theater.

Highrise_Mike
Mar 9, 2015, 4:09 AM
Highrise Mike:

I am curious to know what connectivity plans this new Thanksgiving Point Station development has to the actual Thankgiving Point Station. Is connectivity even an option, or is it just a nice play on words using that name? If it is an option is the connectivity a major part of the overall layout or is a simply a minor afterthought, like oh hey here's a standard weaving 3' sidewalk that eventually leads to the Station?

Uncle Bucket:

Welcome to the forum. The overall plan for vineyard is to have a pretty major commercial/retail node in the same area as the theaters. They will eventually come, but the rooftops have to be in place first before the retail. Things like a theater can attract from a little further out and can stand along for a while, but other types of retail and restaurants need a certain amount of rooftops within a certain distance before they will open their doors.

I don't know if you're familiar with the View 72 area in Midvale, but it developed in a similar way. Hundreds of apartments, condos and home were built first, then the retail started to come in, some office was then added, and some additional retail come to the area.

As for time frame, I would guess that once 3-4 apartments of housing developments are completed and several others are either in the works or announced that the retail will start to fill in around the movie theater.

Essentially, the developer is just using a play on words and calling the overall development Thanksgiving Station since is kind of near the FR station. I am pleased to say though that the 5 foot sidewalks are straight for this development with no meandering! As far as connecting to the Front Runner station, the City requires pedestrian circulation within the development with connections to the surrounding streets. Also there is already an existing buffered bike lane that runs up to the station along Ashton Blvd. This site is located almost a mile in walking distance from the station platform which is outside of the typical 1/4 to 1/2 mile walking radius, but I think biking over to this project from the station would be easy. We have had some contact with a bike share company which could help if there were bike share stations at the FR station and places like Adobe, Thanksgiving Park, and some other locations.

Another thing I want to share, is the potential on the property which is currently the Real Salt Lake practice field across the street from the FR station. There have been a couple of groups that have thrown around the TOD idea of some higher density housing with some possible ground office or retail space. A TOD doesn't work too well with just residential uses, but there is plenty of existing commercial space. I would definitely like to see some higher density residential and it would provide some diversity of uses in the area. The area is not the most walkable but a core of housing and more retail/restaurant uses could really help the station.

Highrise_Mike
Mar 9, 2015, 4:41 AM
Here is a Lehi update. I can't say I covered all the projects, but this covers a few of them.

This is the UCCU office building - it is at 6 above ground floors with one more to go although the parapet is quite tall to screen the mechanical penthouse.
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/03.08%202.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/03.08%202.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/03.08%206.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/03.08%206.jpg.html)

Here is the TSTAT 1 building with the concrete foundation work coming along. Notice in the background the newest addition of large electronic signs along I-15 for the new hospital.
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/03.08%2012.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/03.08%2012.jpg.html)

This is the new hospital which is expected to open this spring.
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/03.08%203.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/03.08%203.jpg.html)

This is the Perry 7 story office building. In the second picture, it shows how it will look from I-15. The 1st floor is hidden but construction is now to the 2nd floor.
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/03.08%209.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/03.08%209.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/03.08%208.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/03.08%208.jpg.html)

This is the Porsche/Audi dealer, which was supposed to be open in February. Clearly not quite there yet :)
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/03.08%205.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/03.08%205.jpg.html)

This is the nearly complete Mountain Pointe Office Plaza on Maple Loop.
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/03.08%201.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/03.08%201.jpg.html)

Last for now is the Hyatt Place hotel across from the Outlets.
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/03.08%2011.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/03.08%2011.jpg.html)

This is all for now, but I'm sure there will be more to come!

i-215
Mar 17, 2015, 8:36 PM
New Outback Steakhouse at Univ. Parkway and Orem State Street is now open. The old mini-mall one was demolished this morning. I don't have any Orem City Council connections, so I don't know if the property owner has renovation plans, as most of that shopping center is now empty.

http://i.imgur.com/e1rWlT0.jpg

Wasatch_One
Mar 18, 2015, 6:49 AM
New Outback Steakhouse at Univ. Parkway and Orem State Street is now open. The old mini-mall one was demolished this morning. I don't have any Orem City Council connections, so I don't know if the property owner has renovation plans, as most of that shopping center is now empty.

http://i.imgur.com/e1rWlT0.jpg

I believe that Pier 1 Imports is moving into the old Outback location and Nordstrom Rack is taking over the old Sears Outlet and combining spaces with the existing Pier 1 Imports location.

SLC Projects
Apr 19, 2015, 12:11 AM
Traverse Heights
http://cbcadvisors.com/pmail/fugal/traverse_heights/Traverse%20Heights%2011x17%20Flyer.pdf

4-6 story office building/s

javiniscool
Apr 19, 2015, 4:38 PM
At University Place formerly known as University Mall the new anchor RC Willey has opened their store. It's the second largest and is really nice. This is just part of work going on there . Definitely good to see something in the place of Nordstrom and get more foot traffic in the mall. I heard not sure but that Ashley furniture would be taking over the old location on univ. pkwy and main. Will be really interesting seeing how that area of Orem increases in density and how it will look as a mix use area over time .

I-15
Apr 23, 2015, 4:48 AM
Buffalo Wild Wings will also be going in front of the Ashley Furniture/Old RC Willey.

delts145
Apr 26, 2015, 11:56 AM
Looks like we have some exciting times coming up for Orem. Finally, Orem seems to be realizing State Streets potential.

Orem's economic development is back at pre-recession levels

Genelle Pugmire DAILY HERALD

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/central/orem/orem-s-economic-development-is-back-at-pre-recession-levels/article_15239fa1-24dc-524b-a2e0-644b1971c06d.html

OREM -- Economic development in the city is coming along nicely, but when the State Street Master Plan is ready, city leaders are saying watch out.

“We’re going to see things pick up when the State Street Master Plan is completed,” said Ryan Clark, Orem's economic development manager. “We’re also seeing the effects of the catalyst of University Place.”

Steve Downs, city spokesman, said he hopes the State Street Master Plan will be adopted no later than July. Before then, residents will have at least two more chances to attend an open house on the plan and share their thoughts and ideas.

A State Street Master Plan open house is scheduled from 5:30 to 7 p.m. on April 2 at the SCERA Center for the Arts at 725 S. State St. Another open house will be held in June.

“Picture such a change from the State Street you see now,” Downs said.

Many developers aren’t waiting on State Street. There are a number of housing and business build-outs going on right now.

According to Clark, there are 885 units under construction, and many other developers have submitted site plans.

Two large projects are causing a lot of interest. They include the Wasatch project on Center Street, featuring townhomes and stacked apartments with two retail spaces right off Interstate 15, and the Parkway Lofts, featuring 332 apartments near the Utah Transit Authority intermodal hub on the west side of I-15 near Wolverine Crossing.

“Everything that dropped dead during the recession is back,” Clark said.

There is a 38,000-square-foot office building being built by an alarm security company at 450 North and 1500 West in the Bunker Business Park. The company is new to Orem and will offer several good-paying jobs.

Great Western Supply Store is also constructing its first location in Utah County, a 43,000-square-foot building in the business park.

“This shows the strength of our industrial growth,” Downs said.

“Orem can have a place for all sizes of companies -- for ones that are here and ones that are finding a place to grow here in Orem. Smith’s (at Center Street and State Street) will be doing a $4 million remodel in August.”

To help entice other businesses to Orem, the city has developed a video entitled “Your Place to Grow” that features several businesses in the area. The city's economic development department is designing new marketing materials, and the city is freshening up its branding.

For those who like the Corner Bakery establishments in Salt Lake City, get ready. One is opening on the last restaurant pad in front of Target and across from Taco Bell in the parking lot at Center Street and Orem Boulevard.

Outback Restaurant recently opened its new standalone restaurant in the parking lot at the University Crossings Plaza. That clears the path for Nordstrom Rack to begin its build-out in the plaza. The Mattress Firm has also opened its new store in the same plaza location.

RC Willey will open at University Place in April, making way for its old building at University Parkway and Main Street to transition into an Ashley Furniture store.

Construction will also be completed in the next couple of months on the new triple threat of Starbucks, Chipotle, and Potbelly Sandwich Shop in the south parking lot of University Place.

Clark said there is also going to be a lot of opportunity for retail on the west side of the city, including the building of Class A offices along I-15.

Future Mayor
Apr 26, 2015, 7:20 PM
I really would like to see State Street in Orem start to go vertical, just as with any other built out city, in order to grow they are are going to have to start doing just that. Cities and developers can only reface and rebuild existing strip malls so many times before they need to be completely re-imagined. If State does start to go vertical, I may have to stop referring to it as America's longest strip mall.

i-215
Apr 27, 2015, 3:57 AM
:previous:

Not yet. We tried that once and it still isn't going well.

There's only so much appetite for high-rise commercial and residential in Orem. Let's first let University Place succeed, then focus expanding outward within a walkable distance.

Haphazardly "building up" will damage U.P.'s potential for success, lead to parking-structure-serviced high rises that will increase car traffic along an already busy road. Let's wait until the BRT to finish, UP to build out phases 2 & 3, and maybe even get TRAX Lehi-Orem funded before we start talking building "up" in Orem.

bob rulz
Apr 27, 2015, 5:53 AM
Why wait for all of that first? Build up and the rest will come, not the other way around, if you ask me.

i-215
Apr 28, 2015, 7:01 PM

Because today's development would require 1.25 parking spaces per bedroom, simply to make it commercially viable. That permanently shapes the development to be auto-centric (everyone brings their car to a multi-level parking structure on site). And the worst kind of development, no less, because it generates a TON of traffic from single, densely-space points, which makes the VMT really awful nearby.

Density doesn't automatically make something "transit friendly" or "walkable." A reduction in parking does. But a parking reduction isn't possible until robust transit is available a few footsteps from your front door.

Lets focus on really beefing up density within walking distance of existing (or soon-to-be-built) transit systems, rather than having skyscraper sprawl that's served by cars (looking at you, Sandy!)

delts145
Apr 28, 2015, 9:39 PM
I-215, Excellent point. That was one of the biggest mistakes L.A. made in the recent past. It has taken some major effort and dollars to moderate the problem. Some improvement has been made, but at a cost that has been far more expensive than if they had followed a more logical approach. I think the evolutionary path you suggest is more sensible and less costly to the tax payer. For those of us who are indeed anxious, I think that the State Street plan combined with University Place and expected hyper growth of Utah Valley will speed things along very quickly anyway.

bob rulz
Apr 28, 2015, 10:50 PM
I think the BRT line they're planning on adding will certainly speed that along.

My point is that I don't think we should wait 20 years for the ~possibility~ that they could get TRAX. The problem with Sandy was not that they built it, it's that they built it wrong.

Walkability and transit go hand-in-hand. Yes, walkability is helped by transit, but transit makes little impact if a place isn't walkable. I'm not saying Orem should suddenly start building high-rise condos everywhere, but there's no need to wait for TRAX for SOME density to be added.

zach_hawkins55
Apr 29, 2015, 4:16 PM
Buffalo Wild Wings will also be going in front of the Ashley Furniture/Old RC Willey.

Where are you getting that information? It would be fantastic if a BWW were to come to Orem, but I don't want to get my hopes up :yes::yes:

LeVaJe
May 3, 2015, 8:56 PM
The Mountainland TransPlan40 (http://mountainland.org/mpp/projects/view/transplan40#) has been updated and is open for comments.

JMK
May 6, 2015, 8:29 PM
There is a video buzzing on the internet for a 'virtual entertainment center' that is supposed to come to Pleasant Grove

cML814JD09g

A Utah company plans to open a series of "virtual entertainment centers" for cutting-edge virtual reality game-playing.

The VOID, based in Lindon, announced Tuesday plans to open the first "virtual entertainment center," or VEC, sometime in early 2016 in a facility in Pleasant Grove.

The company will use proprietary hardware and software to "allow guests to truly live virtually any adventure," said James Jenson, The VOID's co-founder and chief technological officer, in a statement.

Added Ken Bretschneider, the company's CEO and other co-founder, "we are fulfilling a promise of what a virtual reality experience can and should be. Until now, we have only seen experiences like The VOID portrayed in science fiction films and novels."

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/cricket/2479636-155/the-void-virtual-entertainment-center-to

UrbanDesign
May 7, 2015, 3:20 AM
I will definitely have to check that out when it's open in 2016!

That's pretty awesome that Ken is involved as well. Maybe a floor of the AUC will house this 4D experience! Bringing it to SL County as their second location.

jtrent77
May 7, 2015, 5:50 PM
There is a video buzzing on the internet for a 'virtual entertainment center' that is supposed to come to Pleasant Grove

cML814JD09g

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/cricket/2479636-155/the-void-virtual-entertainment-center-to

http://fox13now.com/2015/05/06/evermore-is-nevermore-now-the-void-cutting-edge-virtual-entertainment-coming-to-utah/

Looks impressive, although it sounds like Evermore is on the back burner for now. Hopefully it comes off the back burner at some point, but got to admit that it makes me feel a little concerned that Evermore could be another knee boarding lake with building designed by Gehry at the point of the mountain in Lehi.

As far as The Void, let's hope that if it does get built that it becomes more than a short lived fad and that they can constantly change things up to keep it interesting.

TonyAnderson
May 11, 2015, 5:38 PM
How can Lehi sprawl when they are in the center of everything? Salt Lake City 40-ish miles north, Provo 40-ish miles south. I15, Frontrunner and future Trax all within a mile of each other. Besides the office park at Thankgiving point I have been impressed with most of the development taking place in that area. I love the Adobe campus. TSTAT Buildings look like it will be great. Love the height of the soon to be UCCU building.

So what you're saying is Lehi the epicenter of sprawl?

Stenar
May 11, 2015, 7:52 PM
How can Lehi sprawl when they are in the center of everything? Salt Lake City 40-ish miles north, Provo 40-ish miles south. I15, Frontrunner and future Trax all within a mile of each other. Besides the office park at Thankgiving point I have been impressed with most of the development taking place in that area. I love the Adobe campus. TSTAT Buildings look like it will be great. Love the height of the soon to be UCCU building.

40 miles?? SLC is 28 miles north of Lehi and Provo is less than 17 miles south.

You're thinking of SLC, which is in the center of everything, 40-ish miles between Ogden and Provo. ;)

Jumpur
May 12, 2015, 7:43 PM
So I haven't posted in, what, 5 years? But have always been a lurker. Just figured I would finally say something because I have information that it seems no one else does.

My family, on the side of other careers, also builds and sells houses every now and then and currently are working on a project in Pleasant Grove. When we went into the city office to submit our plans for the subdivision, I asked them about Evermore and if there was any recent progress. Apparently (and I didn't know that this went on anyway as I was out of state for a few months), the owners held a test Halloween event last Fall on their property in PG. Anyone know anything about that? The lady at the office said they held the event, it was enormously popular, and it became apparent to the owners even more so that the 40 something acres they own won't be large enough for the theme park and, mainly, its parking lot. They are now in the process of finding new land elsewhere and will, I guess, sell the land in PG. From what she said, the project will still happen, it just won't be in Pleasant Grove anymore. Hopefully we'll hear more news about the relocation soon.

Wasatch_One
May 13, 2015, 1:17 AM
So I haven't posted in, what, 5 years? But have always been a lurker. Just figured I would finally say something because I have information that it seems no one else does.

My family, on the side of other careers, also builds and sells houses every now and then and currently are working on a project in Pleasant Grove. When we went into the city office to submit our plans for the subdivision, I asked them about Evermore and if there was any recent progress. Apparently (and I didn't know that this went on anyway as I was out of state for a few months), the owners held a test Halloween event last Fall on their property in PG. Anyone know anything about that? The lady at the office said they held the event, it was enormously popular, and it became apparent to the owners even more so that the 40 something acres they own won't be large enough for the theme park and, mainly, its parking lot. They are now in the process of finding new land elsewhere and will, I guess, sell the land in PG. From what she said, the project will still happen, it just won't be in Pleasant Grove anymore. Hopefully we'll hear more news about the relocation soon.

I drive by the area frequently and noticed recently that 40 acres are up for sale where they wanted to build Evermore...

DCRes
May 13, 2015, 3:13 PM
I bet if someone were to PM Ken and ask for an update on Evermore he would be willing to let us know what the latest is. He has been very upfront about the progress of AUC in Salt Lake.

JMK
May 13, 2015, 7:40 PM
Demolition begins at Mervyns in Orem

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=34618460

Tuesday, construction crews began to tear down the old Mervyns store as part of the redevelopment of University Mall, later to be renamed University Place to represent the project's goal of becoming the new city center of Orem.

"Sometimes you have to tear things down to make them better," said Rob Kallas, the mall's manager, as part of a small ceremony.

Members of the large crowd at the event included city officials, city royalty, mall employees on break, families with their children, and mall patrons who once shopped at the former chain store.

"I am excited by the turnout. I think the crowd enjoys the destruction because it is something they can visualize, and it's better than shovels," Kallas said later regarding the ceremony.

Several people lounged on lawn chairs, blankets and cars in the blustering wind as they ate their lunches and listened to the remarks given prior the destruction.

"So the wind is blowing, and Mervyns is blowing away, and a new chapter is coming forth," Orem Mayor Richard Brunst said.

Brunst continued his remarks by highlighting the amenities that will be replacing the building, which hosted Mervyns for about 30 years. The mayor mainly focused on the new park that will be "unlike anything you have seen before," he said.

Plans for the park include a large lawn with several water features, seating areas, a large screen to project movies, and a stage for events. There will also be a drop-off zone for vehicles and an area for food trucks to park.

LeVaJe
May 14, 2015, 5:38 PM
The latest on Evermore Park can be found on their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/evermorepark). Evermore Park is delayed until a new location is acquired. In the meantime, they are working on The Void, as seen above.

i-215
May 14, 2015, 7:41 PM

I got torn apart last year when I said Evermore Park was just a crazy pipe dream that would never get built.

So now it's gone from an "idea with land," to just an "idea."

Yeah. That doesn't bode well.

delts145
Jun 8, 2015, 11:07 AM
Knowing Ken, the Evermore Park will take on an added element of Virtual Entertainment, hence the delay. The old piece of land couldn't accommodate the expanded vision. If the Virtual Entertainment plans meet expectations, then it will be incorporated into Evermore. Could be that Evermore and Void will share the same campus?

delts145
Jun 8, 2015, 11:48 AM
Northwest Utah County cities outpace Orem and Provo on growth

Cathy Allred, Daily Herald

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/north/eagle-mountain/northwest-utah-county-cities-outpace-orem-and-provo-on-growth/article_8ecc912d-2ee2-586e-a94b-0c6c9b649726.html

A trio of northwest Utah County cities are on track to pass the populations of Orem and Provo in 2050 by more than 52,000 people.

“Orem and Provo have a limited supply of buildable land available, so much of their future growth will occur with infill and redevelopment projects,” said Steve Mumford, Eagle Mountain planning director.

In other words, if Orem and Provo hope to keep pace with their neighbors to the north, they will need to build up rather than build out, and soon.

Owen Jackson, public relations and economic development manager for Saratoga Springs, said the growth in his city, as well as in Eagle Mountain and Lehi, helps Utah County and the state as a whole.

Other city administrators agreed.

“A rising tide lifts all ships, and we are excited about the growth in north Utah County,” said Robert Ranc, assistant to the city administrator for Lehi.

For many years, American Fork (population estimate 28,000), Lehi (54,000) and Pleasant Grove (36,000) were called the Tri-Cities area. The use of that term is changing.

With the growth explosion in the new millennium, the term “tri-cities,” when now used in reference to north Utah County, refers to the northwest powerhouse of growth.

“Eagle Mountain, Saratoga Springs and Lehi are the new epicenter of growth along the Wasatch Front, and will most definitely be a center of employment, residential growth, entertainment and shopping in the coming future,” Mumford said...Read More - http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/north/eagle-mountain/northwest-utah-county-cities-outpace-orem-and-provo-on-growth/article_8ecc912d-2ee2-586e-a94b-0c6c9b649726.html

delts145
Jun 19, 2015, 5:10 PM
ZYTO breaks ground for new international headquarters in Utah

http://www.heraldextra.com/business/local/local-biz-condos-opening-bank-ipo-utah-film-industry-zyto/article_7189e018-633e-5880-931a-fdfac93678da.html

ZYTO Corp, a rapidly growing biocommunication tech company in Utah, broke ground on a new international headquarters building June 16. The office complex will be located at 1172 West 700 North in Lindon. The new, innovative headquarters will house approximately 350 employees, a gym, clinic, and the ZYTO Café featuring an exclusive gluten free menu open to the public.

ZYTO, recently named one of the Salt Lake Tribune's Top Workplaces in Utah, currently has more than 70 employees and is preparing for continued growth and expansion into the global market. The new headquarters will help further these goals as ZYTO continues to expand employment opportunities for local, skilled professionals.

"This construction represents a significant milestone in the growth and expansion of ZYTO. We are pleased to be a part of the Utah County community," said Vaughn R Cook, CEO.

ZYTO is a global technology company that develops and produces software and integrated hardware products that have been specifically designed to provide insight into personal health and wellness decisions.

i-215
Jun 24, 2015, 12:42 AM
http://i.imgur.com/gQZtsfy.jpg

Too good to be true? There's reason to believe that an overpass at University Parkway and State Street near the mall may happen sooner than later.

http://www.roadguyrob.com/future-of-university-parkway-in-orem-utah/

goldcntry
Jun 24, 2015, 2:18 PM
Nice stand-in of the Bangerter/7800 So bridge... :D

i-215
Jun 24, 2015, 9:38 PM

Thanks. Was the closest guess as to what it might look like.

s.p.hansen
Jul 19, 2015, 3:31 PM
Lehi's Tech Company [Adobe] Say Utah Owes It Better Highway, train line

Lehi and its high-tech firms want to jump to the front of the line for transportation projects, arguing the state is reneging on promised work used to lure companies there.

They warn that Utah will lose many new, big employers without improvements.

At issue: a $450 million upgrade to the Interstate 15 corridor through Lehi, including rebuilding a congested interchange with State Road 92 at Thanksgiving Point and adding a "flyover" bridge nearby to improve access across the freeway.

The Utah Transportation Commission, which prioritizes highway projects statewide, currently has that work slated to occur in about five years.

Lehi, developers and their local legislators are urging state lawmakers to start the project next year instead — and borrow the money via bonding if necessary. Otherwise, they say, some major high-tech companies won't come to its "silicon slopes," while congestion forces others to delay expansion.

"We don't want 'silicon slopes' to become 'silicon slow,' " Nathan Ricks, managing partner of Thanksgiving Park Development, told the Legislature's Transportation Interim Committee.

That committee — co-chaired by Sen. Al Jackson, R-Highland — heard arguments this week that the state made and broke promises to improve transportation to attract big companies such as Adobe. State officials deny that.

Promises, promises? • As an example, Rep. Jacob Anderegg, R-Lehi, said, "Part of the incentive package that was put together for Adobe included the commitment that the TRAX lines would be completed to their front door sometime around 2018."

The Utah Transit Authority has plans to extend light rail to Adobe someday, but not that soon. Anderegg said Utah economic officials similarly pledged to upgrade the freeway sooner than is now planned.

He said Adobe officials "put off the second phase of their construction, bringing an additional 800 to 1,400 jobs to Utah because of the perception of a failure" to keep promises.

Anderegg and Lehi Mayor Bert Wilson said they know of two Fortune 50 companies that looked at coming to Lehi, but are now stepping back.

"It is quite literally because they have had discussions with Adobe," Anderegg said, "and they have had conversations with a few others" who say transportation commitments were broken.

Salt Lake Tribune
http://www.sltrib.com/news/2738453-155/lehis-high-tech-company-says-utah-owes

s.p.hansen
Jul 19, 2015, 3:51 PM
I love this story for 2 reasons:

1. It shows the hypocrisy of Adobe.

We have tech companies like Amazon reinvesting in major cities like downtown Seattle (an entire new amazon corporate office campus in 3 skyscrapers) or San Francisco, even downtown Salt Lake City (on a small scale). You even have companies like Overstock building their new corporate hq next to trax in Salt Lake County, so you know, they can be close to Trax.

Adobe chose Lehi so they could pay their people a little less if they wanted to. They went the least expensive route and they want the highest level of public investment. News flash Adobe, that level of investment is already in Salt Lake a County, you made your choice!

2. This is a wake up call to the tax payers and leaders of Utah County. If you want to stay the job engine of the state, you'd better make investments to retain that edge. Your days of bitching about big government for a few more cents spent on transit and transportation infrastructure needed to be over when you got Adobe a few years ago.

Makid
Jul 19, 2015, 11:14 PM
2. This is a wake up call to the tax payers and leaders of Utah County. If you want to stay the job engine of the state, you'd better make investments to retain that edge. Your days of bitching about big government for a few more cents spent on transit and transportation infrastructure needed to be over when you got Adobe a few years ago.

Utah County is only now up to .55% tax for transit. They can add another.2% I think before they are maxed, not counting the additional .25% that the state allowed this past session.

They could match SL County for funding transit if they wanted. This would increase revenue enough to provide better bus service as well as move Trax to Lehi from 2030/2035 to 2020/2025.

If they want to start construction by 2018, they will need to get started on the EIS for the Utah County portion of the line by the end of this year. SL County side is already complete.

Frontrunner enhancements will help more in the short term than Trax will with transit in the area.

All companies there should get together and work with UTA to offer a shuttle service from the Frontrunner station to the various offices. Run it all day from 5:30/6:00 am until 10:30/11:00pm.

This shuttle would be on top of the services that are already in the area. Hours could possible be expanded if the companies or Lehi wanted to invest further.

Wasatch_One
Jul 20, 2015, 5:26 AM
I love this story for 2 reasons:

1. It shows the hypocrisy of Adobe.

We have tech companies like Amazon reinvesting in major cities like downtown Seattle (an entire new amazon corporate office campus in 3 skyscrapers) or San Francisco, even downtown Salt Lake City (on a small scale). You even have companies like Overstock building their new corporate hq next to trax in Salt Lake County, so you know, they can be close to Trax.

Adobe chose Lehi so they could pay their people a little less if they wanted to. They went the least expensive route and they want the highest level of public investment. News flash Adobe, that level of investment is already in Salt Lake a County, you made your choice!

You're actually wrong on most of this. I worked for Adobe/Omniture from 2007-2014 so I am pretty aware of the reasoning behind the placement of the campus. The decision was made because roughly 2/3 of the employees at the time were in Utah County and SL County/everywhere else made up about 35-40%.

Adobe obviously wanted to tap into the SL metro employee pool, but stayed loyal to their existing employee base at the time. They also wanted to be between the two main higher education areas in the state. It had nothing to do with paying people less. To Adobe, anywhere in Utah is cheap compared to their HQ in San Jose. And I would venture to say that the Thanksgiving Point area probably is equally if not better paid than most anywhere in SL County. When I left about a year ago, I would guess the employee count was probably closer to 50/50 Utah County/SL County and that is probably what Adobe wanted when they planned the location.

Also, I do remember during the planning stages back in 2010-11 that the facilities teams mentioning the close proximity (immediately east of the campus) to the future TRAX stop via the Draper extension. so I am guessing that was part of the package. There are also continual UTA busses that Adobe has contracted to pick up and drop off people at the frontrunner station during the morning and afternoon, so current and future transit option also played heavily into the location planning.

jtrent77
Jul 20, 2015, 11:48 AM
You're actually wrong on most of this. I worked for Adobe/Omniture from 2007-2014 so I am pretty aware of the reasoning behind the placement of the campus. The decision was made because roughly 2/3 of the employees at the time were in Utah County and SL County/everywhere else made up about 35-40%.

Adobe obviously wanted to tap into the SL metro employee pool, but stayed loyal to their existing employee base at the time. They also wanted to be between the two main higher education areas in the state. It had nothing to do with paying people less. To Adobe, anywhere in Utah is cheap compared to their HQ in San Jose. And I would venture to say that the Thanksgiving Point area probably is equally if not better paid than most anywhere in SL County. When I left about a year ago, I would guess the employee count was probably closer to 50/50 Utah County/SL County and that is probably what Adobe wanted when they planned the location.

Also, I do remember during the planning stages back in 2010-11 that the facilities teams mentioning the close proximity (immediately east of the campus) to the future TRAX stop via the Draper extension. so I am guessing that was part of the package. There are also continual UTA busses that Adobe has contracted to pick up and drop off people at the frontrunner station during the morning and afternoon, so current and future transit option also played heavily into the location planning.

You must be wrong about this, as the forummers here always know all the details before jumping to hasty conclusions.

Wasatch_One
Jul 20, 2015, 3:31 PM
You must be wrong about this, as the forummers here always know all the details before jumping to hasty conclusions.

haha, we're all know-it-alls here.

Future Mayor
Jul 20, 2015, 7:44 PM
While I can understand the reasoning of trying to be loyal to the Omniture routes and locating conveniently to those people and the existing employees, it seems a bit short sighted to me.

Yes a large number of employees when the were planning on building the new Adobe campus where in Utah County, but things change rapidly. Wasatch has left, my Brother in Law has left, also was with Omniture at the time of the acquisition, and many other have probably left as well. Yes it's warm and fuzzy to locate nearby, but who cares, the founder and CEO of Omniture at the time of acquisition lived in Davis County. With a name like Adobe people will come to you, and being in a downtown would have actually made them getting to you that much easier.

Short sighted, planning on their part, shouldn't be the States problem. Yes there are plans for Trax expansion from Draper, but funding changes and plans change. So rather than be short sighted, and build in hopes of things to come, build where services already exist.

Wasatch_One
Jul 20, 2015, 10:08 PM
the founder and CEO of Omniture at the time of acquisition lived in Davis County.

Actually both co-founders lived in Provo at the time... same neighborhood even.

s.p.hansen
Jul 21, 2015, 9:33 AM

While your insider point of view is fun, it doesn't change the fact that you're lazy on the legal side of it. Google GOED tax incentives. Adobe agreed to create 927 jobs by 2030 and those jobs have to pay at least 125% above the county average. This is worth a 40 million dollar tax credit. This was the agreement. Adobe chose Lehi because the county average wage is lower than salt lake county. Sorry but Adobe looks really silly after this article.

wrendog
Jul 22, 2015, 12:33 AM
Was back in Utah for the first time in a year and was surprised at all the new construction in Lehi/Thanksgiving Point area. Even some buildings taller than the usual 4-5 stories.

Wasatch_One
Jul 22, 2015, 4:19 AM
While your insider point of view is fun, it doesn't change the fact that you're lazy on the legal side of it. Google GOED tax incentives. Adobe agreed to create 927 jobs by 2030 and those jobs have to pay at least 125% above the county average. This is worth a 40 million dollar tax credit. This was the agreement. Adobe chose Lehi because the county average wage is lower than salt lake county. Sorry but Adobe looks really silly after this article.

I think the only one lazy here was the individual that threw out a ton of speculative (mis)points which were proven incorrect, and responded in a defensive tone... Who looks silly now?

I really don't know what point you were trying to make with your last comment but it's apparent you don't know all that much about the situation so let me "learn you" some of the facts.

I am fully aware of the tax incentives that were provided to Adobe and pretty much every other business looking to expand and create jobs in the state. Adobe completed phase 1 of its Lehi campus in 2012 with two future phases to come. The current building was near capacity when I left last summer at roughly 900-1K employees. Phase 2 & 3 will nearly triple the square footage and each phase, I was told, will add about 800 jobs each for a buildout of ~2500.

Because of the large potential employee base, transportation was a big part of the incentive negotiation and I think it actually shocked some people at the time of the announcement that the campus was "that far north" of the then Orem HQ and they would need to commute. We were hearing at the time that it basically came down to two locations... Draper, just around the Point of the Mtn, or Lehi. I honestly thought it was going to be in Draper and was actually a bit surprised it ended up in Lehi.

125% of the county average is probably in the $65-$70K/yr. range. I don't know of many people that make less than that there other than college interns and potentially some contracted, non-Adobe employees working at the facility, with many of the Adobe workers making 2, 3, 400%+ the county average. It would be interesting to better understand how the state calculates this requirement if it's more of an average across all jobs or a median point or something.

Anyway, since relocating there, I would guess they have already created ~200 additional positions so they're well on their way (being three years in out of the 28 year timeframe required by the incentive) to meeting the goal.

Wasatch_One
Jul 22, 2015, 4:30 AM
Was back in Utah for the first time in a year and was surprised at all the new construction in Lehi/Thanksgiving Point area. Even some buildings taller than the usual 4-5 stories.

I drive by it probably once a day and it pretty much blows my mind every time I do seeing all the office space. It sounds pretty unreal that more office sq. footage is currently being constructed at Thxgiving Poing than all of SL County combined!

Side note, did you all hear that Vivint Solar (now separate from Vivint since going public) was just acquired by SunEdison yesterday for $2.2B... their stock went up something like 44% yesterday alone. I wonder what that means for their current HQ under construction south of the Megaplex theatre at Thxgiving Pt.

airhero
Jul 22, 2015, 3:53 PM
While development in Lehi is great, I don't understand the praise for all the buildings going up. How is Lehi any different from the Sandy office parks that are always getting harped on? There's no logical street layout. Every finished building (apart from Adobe's) is plain or unattractive and surrounded by parking lots, and the renderings I've seen for these new buildings don't impress. It's just another Sandy, but with tech companies.

jedikermit
Jul 22, 2015, 4:26 PM
While development in Lehi is great, I don't understand the praise for all the buildings going up. How is Lehi any different from the Sandy office parks that are always getting harped on? There's no logical street layout. Every finished building (apart from Adobe's) is plain or unattractive and surrounded by parking lots, and the renderings I've seen for these new buildings don't impress. It's just another Sandy, but with tech companies.

Hate hate hate what's happened to the Lehi area. It's all new and shiny and new and shiny, but (with few exceptions) uninspired and without the infrastructure to support what's going in. And yeah, it's just more industrial parks. Perfect example of "lure them in, take their money, let them do whatever they want, because they gave us money." And the seas of beige stucco housing around them are just as offensive. I'm not anti-development of the area, I'm anti-how they've done it.

UrbanDesign
Jul 23, 2015, 3:44 AM
Wish I'd invested in Vivint Solar two days ago!

Highrise_Mike
Aug 3, 2015, 3:29 AM
Whether you like it or not, here is a Lehi update! Sorry I take lots of pics when I'm out :)

Vivnt Solar Building (I assume solar city will take over?)
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%201.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%201.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%207.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%207.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%205.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%205.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%208.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%208.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%2010.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%2010.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%2011.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%2011.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%2012.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%2012.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%2013.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%2013.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%2018.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%2018.jpg.html)

Younique Building
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%2023.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%2023.jpg.html)

UCCU
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%2024.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%2024.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%2027.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%2027.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%2027.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%2027.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%2033.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%2033.jpg.html)

Perry Office Building
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%2043.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%2043.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%2045.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%2045.jpg.html)

Ancestry
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%2046.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%2046.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%2047.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%2047.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%2049.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%2049.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%2051.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%2051.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/08.02%2052.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/08.02%2052.jpg.html)

Makid
Aug 3, 2015, 12:09 PM
Nice pictures Mike.

I don't mind you taking lots of pictures. It is nice to see the various angles of the new construction happening there.

I did have to make 1 correction though:

Vivnt Solar Building (I assume solar city will take over?)

Vivint was bought by SunEdison, not SolarCity.

Outside of that, I would expect SunEdison to take over as well as expand. This is based on the GOED incentive for another 3,000+ employees in Utah County for Vivint Solar.

SolarCity will be hiring 4,000+ employees in Salt Lake City.

This is fairly big news as 7,000+ green energy jobs will be happening in the next couple of years.

TonyAnderson
Aug 3, 2015, 5:37 PM
I drive by it probably once a day and it pretty much blows my mind every time I do seeing all the office space. It sounds pretty unreal that more office sq. footage is currently being constructed at Thxgiving Poing than all of SL County combined!

Side note, did you all hear that Vivint Solar (now separate from Vivint since going public) was just acquired by SunEdison yesterday for $2.2B... their stock went up something like 44% yesterday alone. I wonder what that means for their current HQ under construction south of the Megaplex theatre at Thxgiving Pt.

Any numbers on that? Would be hard to do considering 111, Overstock headquarters (Bingam Junction in general), InContact in Sandy, 4-5 buildings in Vista Station in Draper alone, etc. going on right now.

Eh, guess it seems likely actually.

s.p.hansen
Aug 3, 2015, 5:42 PM
Any numbers on that? Would be hard to do considering 111, Overstock headquarters (Bingam Junction in general), InContact in Sandy, 4-5 buildings in Vista Station in Draper alone, etc. going on right now.

"Lehi has as much growth right now as we have in all of Salt Lake County," she said. It has 1.5 million square feet of commercial space under construction with 11 new buildings, compared with 1.4 million square feet of similar construction underway in all of Salt Lake County.
http://www.sltrib.com/home/2738453-155/lehis-high-tech-company-says-utah-owes?page=2

Stenar
Aug 4, 2015, 11:12 PM

Those first 3 projects are 1.1 million sf alone, so I doubt Lehi has more than SL County.

Also, 400,000 sf currently under construction at Vista Station (more to come).

Stenar
Aug 5, 2015, 7:58 PM
Hate hate hate what's happened to the Lehi area. It's all new and shiny and new and shiny, but (with few exceptions) uninspired and without the infrastructure to support what's going in. And yeah, it's just more industrial parks. Perfect example of "lure them in, take their money, let them do whatever they want, because they gave us money." And the seas of beige stucco housing around them are just as offensive. I'm not anti-development of the area, I'm anti-how they've done it.

I couldn't agree more with you and airhero. A lot of crap being built in Lehi.

Rep. Anderegg seems confused (via the previously mentioned SL Tribune article about Lehi infrastructure). He seems to think "Silicon Slopes" is the same as Lehi, when it's actually the entire Wasatch Front.

s.p.hansen
Aug 5, 2015, 8:21 PM

Utah County seems to have made it very clear what their priorities are. For now, they want wide roads and little planning. We have a lost generation in Utah County and Southern Salt Lake County where people want to be identical to their mom and dad; they want the commute and they want the cheap house. The trend of young people in Utah rushing to the suburbs doesn't match the national trends. Granted we see a counter culture to that in some of the cool developments in downtown Provo, Ogden, and mostly with what's going on in SLC, but we're really behind the times in general with all this stucco and all this cheap sprawl.

javiniscool
Aug 26, 2015, 12:59 AM
Here are a few shots I got yesterday at University Place

The new Office Building
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/javinishot/August%202015/IMG_3655_zps93eklxui.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/javinishot/media/August%202015/IMG_3655_zps93eklxui.jpg.html)

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/javinishot/August%202015/IMG_3656_zpsaaln7e84.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/javinishot/media/August%202015/IMG_3656_zpsaaln7e84.jpg.html)

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/javinishot/August%202015/IMG_3651_zpskrrajbb9.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/javinishot/media/August%202015/IMG_3651_zpskrrajbb9.jpg.html)

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/javinishot/August%202015/IMG_3650_zpsrslf089a.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/javinishot/media/August%202015/IMG_3650_zpsrslf089a.jpg.html)

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/javinishot/August%202015/IMG_3649_zpsjdobh7uy.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/javinishot/media/August%202015/IMG_3649_zpsjdobh7uy.jpg.html)

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/javinishot/August%202015/IMG_3648_zpsdql2mnvu.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/javinishot/media/August%202015/IMG_3648_zpsdql2mnvu.jpg.html)

Residences at University Place
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/javinishot/August%202015/IMG_3653_zpsrtertzvq.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/javinishot/media/August%202015/IMG_3653_zpsrtertzvq.jpg.html)

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/javinishot/August%202015/IMG_3654_zpsvp7qaakg.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/javinishot/media/August%202015/IMG_3654_zpsvp7qaakg.jpg.html)

Where Mervyn's was
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/javinishot/August%202015/IMG_3652_zps64wpzk8g.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/javinishot/media/August%202015/IMG_3652_zps64wpzk8g.jpg.html)

poodledoodledude
Sep 1, 2015, 8:24 PM
speaking of orem, the planning commission just approved buildings up to 180 feet (16-18 stories) on 1200 north and 1200 west near the freeway. neighbors arent that happy.

buildings of this height need to be in downtown provo or SLC...not along the freeway next to a residential neighborhood, IMO. the buildings are all glass and stucco/stone.

ive seen the renderings. picture the new NuSkin building on 200 west and 100 south times 10....UGLY......

city council is waiting on their approval 2 weeks to get the neighborhood together and discuss.

Wasatch_One
Oct 5, 2015, 4:23 PM
I think this slipped through the cracks from back in June.

Orem is doing their best to create some semblance of a downtown:

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=34989775&nid=148

https://img.ksl.com/slc/2562/256261/25626180.jpg?filter=ksl/pgallery

http://img.ksl.com/slc/2562/256261/25626179.jpg

https://img.ksl.com/slc/2562/256261/25626183.jpg?filter=ksl/pgallery

delts145
Oct 6, 2015, 11:55 AM
speaking of orem, the planning commission just approved buildings up to 180 feet (16-18 stories) on 1200 north and 1200 west near the freeway. neighbors arent that happy.

buildings of this height need to be in downtown provo or SLC...not along the freeway next to a residential neighborhood, IMO. the buildings are all glass and stucco/stone.

ive seen the renderings. picture the new NuSkin building on 200 west and 100 south times 10....UGLY......

city council is waiting on their approval 2 weeks to get the neighborhood together and discuss.

I can understand why the neighbors would be upset. I assume it's those neighbors who would have their views blocked, and those views are pretty spectacular. The fact is though, that commute time is significantly easier when the tower is adj. to the interchange. At least that would be the case with Orem. Really, the Univ. Parkway and 800 No. are the only viable gateways to Orem during volume traffic hours. I would prefer that towers be focused more around the new development intersection of the Parkway and State.

From what Wasatch One has posted, it would appear that Orem will have two more densely focused areas along State. I think Orem's BRT is hugely important, and couldn't be more critical at this time.

I-15
Oct 6, 2015, 3:47 PM
Here's an Fox13 article and video that shows some of the renderings of the 160 ft building in Orem. Would be located on 1200 N and 1200 W.

http://fox13now.com/2015/10/05/orem-resident-hopes-to-halt-high-rise-building-construction-with-petition/

i-215
Oct 6, 2015, 6:49 PM
Ugh, Orem? C'mon, guys!

Didn't you learn from your last fiasco with Midtown Village?

STOP :hell:
TRYING :hell:
TO :hell:
URBANIZE :hell:
ALONG :hell:
STATE :hell:
STREET ! :hell:

Focus on TOD around the the Frontrunner station.

http://i.imgur.com/xIxoR20.jpg

/end of rant

Orlando
Oct 9, 2015, 8:07 PM
I wish we had some overall urban development control board that would restrict this kind of tall development to just urban centers, ie. downtown Provo, Salt Lake City, etc. The Wasatch Front seems to have little to no controls in place for sprawl.

TonyAnderson
Oct 12, 2015, 3:12 AM
Ugh, Orem? C'mon, guys!

Didn't you learn from your last fiasco with Midtown Village?

STOP :hell:
TRYING :hell:
TO :hell:
URBANIZE :hell:
ALONG :hell:
STATE :hell:
STREET ! :hell:

Focus on TOD around the the Frontrunner station.

http://i.imgur.com/xIxoR20.jpg

/end of rant

They're really not trying to urbanize though. There's just trying to build big office buildings that will be used for one purpose on the cheapest, most convenient land they can. I really don't get why a company would want to build a large HQ in Orem.

s.p.hansen
Oct 12, 2015, 5:10 AM
They're really not trying to urbanize though. There's just trying to build big office buildings that will be used for one purpose on the cheapest, most convenient land they can. I really don't get why a company would want to build a large HQ in Orem.

Yeah, just to build on this, this seems less like new urbanism and more like realigning with the massive changes that have come to retail. Orem is clearly moving towards safer bets in retail and more office space so they're less dependent on retail.

Deek1978
Oct 12, 2015, 3:53 PM
Saw this on the Daily Herald's website this morning... article is from last week.

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/south/spanish-fork/spanish-fork-officials-planning-for-possible-hospital-in/article_52ef354f-975b-5bab-8bef-81c673eb23d7.html

i-215
Oct 12, 2015, 11:10 PM
They're really not trying to urbanize though. There's just trying to build big office buildings that will be used for one purpose on the cheapest, most convenient land they can.

Good point. Those buildings don't seem terribly tall and I bet Orem will make it meet 100% parking requirements (well, it has to -- there's no serious transit there to accommodate employees).

Worst of both worlds then: Increasing the land use intensity but servicing it entirely with cars. Isn't that basically what Los Angeles did decades ago with Century City, Universal City, Studio City, etc.? Pop up medium rises along major streets and provide no transit access.

Highrise_Mike
Oct 18, 2015, 5:15 AM
Here are a few quick cell phone shots from Lehi today.

These pics are of the 7-story Traverse Ridge Center up near SR-92. I like this building because it has a direct trail connection to the Rail Trail and the Murdock Canal Trail plus there are indoor bike lockers and showers for the employees. This building is also right night to the future Trax line that will someday extend down from Draper. I have heard rumors that the Trax line may come sooner than later as well... I would love to see that :)
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/IMG_3356.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/IMG_3356.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/IMG_3358.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/IMG_3358.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/IMG_3359.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/IMG_3359.jpg.html)

Here are a couple of the Ancestry.com building.
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/IMG_3357.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/IMG_3357.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/IMG_3360.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/IMG_3360.jpg.html)

Dan1977
Oct 20, 2015, 1:31 AM
Highrise Mike,

Thanks for posting the photos. I am curious about the rumor,

"I have heard rumors that the Trax line may come sooner than later as well... I would love to see that"

I live in Traverse Mountain so I would be excited to see the Trax line make its way into Lehi. Is there any timeline that you have heard about an extension to Lehi? I have seen the light rail into Utah County listed as a 2031-2040 phase.

I was hoping that the Lehi and all the big businesses going in near the point of the mountain could put pressure on UTA to implement that sooner.

Do you think it is still something that is at least 10 years away from happening?

s.p.hansen
Oct 20, 2015, 4:39 AM
I was hoping that the Lehi and all the big businesses going in near the point of the mountain could put pressure on UTA to implement that sooner.

Do you think it is still something that is at least 10 years away from happening?

It will happen as fast as Lehi or northern Utah County are willing to procure tax money to make it happen. Unless something radical changes at a federal level and a bunch of pork money or a massive federal grant lands in their lap (which is unlikely), it won't happen until the political will of the people makes it happen.

Salt Lake City has lobbied for regional transit for around two decades. Now that they have a solid regional system piped into Salt Lake City, the interest is in turning inwards to improving city transit. The candidate giving Becker run for his political life is basically representing a major faction in the city that actually wants to make sure no extra money than what is necessary flows into UTA for things that don't directly improve connectivity in the city (this is causing Becker to change his policy in order to survive). Therefore you won't be able to count of the lobbying power of Salt Lake City to help procure money to expand TRAX in Lehi.

That all being said, if Lehi had even an ounce of vision, they could probably tack on a little impact fee / increase property tax (one small enough not to hurt their development momentum) and basically use that to take out a bond to build their light rail extension. If Lehi and Draper could come together on something like this it seems like they could extend the TRAX very easily.

Future Mayor
Oct 20, 2015, 5:23 PM
Yes but Lehi tacking on a small transit impact fee would be foresight, and as we can tell by the road system at the Thanksgiving Point sprawltopia, Lehi doesn't have anything related to foresight and vision. Reactive vs proactive.

Yes there is a lot of office space in Lehi, but honestly, unless Lehi or the businesses themselves provide a shuttle, how many of those office buildings are within the ideal 1/4 mile and still doable but less ideal 1/2 mile walking distance from the eventual Trax station location? Maybe Adobe. Will that really provide all that much transit usage, if one or two buildings are within that distance? Is there a pedestrian plan being put in place to provide that 1/4 - 1/2 mile access to more buildings?

There is a huge daytime population at Thankgiving Point/Lehi, but it's not a transit friendly destination. I just don't see the ridership numbers materializing. My comments are simply based on observations and maybe I am way off or just simply have a huge hate for that type of development and sprawl.

Hatman
Oct 20, 2015, 7:57 PM
Thanksgiving point may not be ideal for transit, but something must be done, and if TRAX is going to go through the area anyway, it might as well go in sooner rather than later and nudge development in the right direction. I'm generally not a fan of forcing transit into an area where it isn't ideal, because I think it takes a lot more than a single investment in transit infrastructure to make a sprawly area better. But since UTA already owns the ROW and has plans for the extension, this could be an exception. A shuttle between the TRAX and FrontRunner stops could also circulate between the various offices. Bike infrastructure could help office workers use their bikes to get to the Trax stop. Extending TRAX straight on through the point and on to Lehi and American Fork will make it twice as useful as if it just connected to Draper (more than twice actually, but who's counting?).
Transit in this area faces an uphill battle, which is why the leaders seem content to delay this extension (the design work is has already been done all the way from the current End Of Line in Draper to the county line, it just needs to be funded and built). But it's a battle that should be fought, because in this location, transit stands a decent chance of making a significant difference if it uses every trick it has.

Highrise_Mike
Oct 22, 2015, 2:29 AM
I first must say that my information on the rumor may not be completely accurate but what I have heard is to bump up the timeline to extend the line to the Meadows area on the border of Lehi and American Fork to 2020-2025 instead of 2030-2040. This could change depending on funding, etc. but there is obviously pressure from the companies located at the point to extend Trax. Extending the line beyond American Fork would be something much more down the line as far as timing goes.

As far as the large roads in the area go, that ship sailed when the Thanksgiving Point area plan was approved 15 years ago and bonded for and built the existing roads. Really I-15, the Front Runner line, the Trax ROW, and SR-92 really disect the area which has implications that make it more difficult to improve the overall connectivity of the area. There is an overpass planned over I-15 to add a connection over I-15 about where the new hospital is located which may be built with the upcoming I-15 reconstruction project. Also an interchange location has been identified and may be included in the upcoming project north of Adobe near the property where the Frank Ghery project was proposed.

As far as land use goes, our General Plan identifies several TOD locations that allow for higher densities and mixed use development and a TOD zone is already codified in the Development Code which shows the City is ready for that type of development when the Trax line comes and the market allows for it. The site where the whole Frank Ghery project was proposed still has 2500 residential units and mixed use zoning. This property is located right along the future Trax corridor and is well within 1/4 mile walkability radius. Other areas throughout Lehi allow for higher density along the corridor and the City is open to project proposals that may require changing the zoning code. Essentially the current zoning allows for land uses that can allow more intense uses along the corridor.

Some things that the City is doing that can extend the ridership capture of the future Trax stations and the Frontrunner station would be the requirements for bikes. Instead of a 1/4-1/2 mile radius for walking, bikes can have a radius of a mile or two which would really include a majority of the existing office buildings in the area. Any commercial development in Lehi requires bike parking and mid size and larger office buildings are required to provide indoor/secure bike parking. There are many existing trails and more planned trails in the area that connect with regional trails as well as a good network of bike lanes in the adopted bike/ped.

I don't agree that there is zero foresight in Lehi but I would say the City is in a highly reactive state at this point.

Highrise_Mike
Oct 25, 2015, 10:56 PM
There is some glass going up on the UCCU Building. This building is moving along slowly compared to the others in the area but this is probably my favorite building in Lehi at this point.

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/IMG_4621.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/IMG_4621.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/IMG_4625.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/IMG_4625.jpg.html)

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/mikeedwardwest/IMG_4626.jpg (http://s617.photobucket.com/user/mikeedwardwest/media/IMG_4626.jpg.html)

Tymtw12
Nov 4, 2015, 10:58 PM
Here's an Fox13 article and video that shows some of the renderings of the 160 ft building in Orem. Would be located on 1200 N and 1200 W.

http://fox13now.com/2015/10/05/orem-resident-hopes-to-halt-high-rise-building-construction-with-petition/

I heard this petition failed and they will break ground for the 9-story office building in January with construction estimated to finish in late 2016.

Here is a single rendering of the building that I was able to find from a KSL story last month.

http://img.ksl.com/slc/2572/257291/25729114.jpg

SLC Projects
Nov 5, 2015, 12:30 AM
Nice looking building. Shame it didn't go either downtown Provo or Lehi.

delts145
Nov 5, 2015, 2:14 AM
Agree Projects, that is a very handsome building. Will be pretty impressive from it's perch next to I-15, but yeah, would have been nice in Downtown Provo. I do understand though, that location is quite convenient for many of their employees.

delts145
Nov 9, 2015, 3:40 PM
Public invited to comment on AF's Main Street

Barbara Christiansen DAILY HERALD - http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/north/american-fork/public-invited-to-comment-on-af-s-main-street/article_de4aa454-48bb-56bb-9ea7-a41c4845e0b4.html

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/heraldextra.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/dc/4dc63934-035c-5873-9cc8-c0f0681d43f0/56259d913ca7e.image.jpg?resize=620%2C402

Future Mayor
Nov 9, 2015, 3:46 PM
Public invited to comment on AF's Main Street

Barbara Christiansen DAILY HERALD - http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/north/american-fork/public-invited-to-comment-on-af-s-main-street/article_de4aa454-48bb-56bb-9ea7-a41c4845e0b4.html

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/heraldextra.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/dc/4dc63934-035c-5873-9cc8-c0f0681d43f0/56259d913ca7e.image.jpg?resize=620%2C402

I like the pendant style and I'm glad that they are proposing some traffic calming on their Main St.

StevenF
Nov 9, 2015, 7:38 PM
I like the pendant style and I'm glad that they are proposing some traffic calming on their Main St.

I also prefer that light. I mainly like it because it is different than all the other cities in Utah, as it seems that most go for the Acorn style.

HellToSell
Nov 10, 2015, 4:17 AM
^^^ FINALLY! AF Mainstreet has been in serious need of an upgrade!

I'd love to see new business come to main street. I'd like to see new buildings with a classic/historic feel and get rid of some of the horrendus 1950's era buildings.

delts145
Nov 10, 2015, 1:39 PM
You and me both HellToSell. This is long overdue. Hopefully they will bring back in an authentic way some of the unique architecture lost to the wrecking ball. The original Chipman Sq. amongst others. Also, that whole Albertsons block needs to be re thought, and would like to see new development that includes residential. I think many would be prime to live on a charming walkable Main St. with convenient services at street level.

The Main Streets of Pleasant Grove, American Fork and Lehi have so much potential. Alpine is also another town that's long overdue for an authentic village development on it's Main thoroughfare. It has a few businesses here and there, but nothing covering enough contiguous street presence to give the feeling of a town center.

Stenar
Nov 10, 2015, 8:15 PM
...Alpine is also another town that's long overdue for an authentic village development on it's Main thoroughfare. It has a few businesses here and there, but nothing covering enough contiguous street presence to give the feeling of a town center.

Alpine doesn't want any businesses in the city proper. They're quite quirky that way.

Wasatch_One
Nov 10, 2015, 9:02 PM
Alpine doesn't want any businesses in the city proper. They're quite quirky that way.

This is where I live and I get so frustrated every time I roll into the round-a-bout with the Noah's Ark building greeting all visitors (and residents).

I would love for someone with vision to join the planning commission. Personally, I would love for them to expand Legacy Park (south of the City Hall) by buying up property to the east and putting a road through on 100 E between center st and 100 S. It would be cool to see some nice, higher-end apartments, condos, lofts or town homes (or a combination) on the streets surrounding this park. They need to take advantage of the grid in the city and stop building out stupid faux looking office bldgs on top of a big parking lot by the round-a-bout.

Residents in Alpine are an interesting bunch because they don't want apartments in their town creating higher density, yet they throw in a basement apartment in 80% of the homes, rent it out and clutter all of the neighborhoods with 3x the cars parked on the streets and deem that fine, since they're benefiting financially from it. If you're going to allow and even encourage apartments as part of primary dwellings, how about you actually use better planning and zone for nice developments in areas that can handle higher density in and around Main St. and grow some vibrancy in the "downtown" area as well.

I would love to see some mountain contemporary architecture go up with glass, metal and wood start popping up instead of these cheezy, kitschy "historic looking" pieces of garbage go up. Ezra Lee attempted with the new Pine Valley Real Estate office, but it just doesn't look like something timeless to me (maybe I'm alone on this one??)

Anyway, rant over.

Future Mayor
Nov 10, 2015, 9:07 PM
Sounds like you should pursue a Planning Commission seat.

I understand your frustration as I was offered the planning job there about 3 years ago, but I was told that the majority of the work would actually be more along the lines of Code Enforcement, rather than planning, because the residents don't really want anything to change from the way it is. I turned it down because of the lack of wanting anything besides the type of homes that are currently being built, geared toward a specific homogeneous demographic, and wanting zero no retail/commercial.

Get on the PC and make some waves.

delts145
Jan 15, 2016, 12:16 PM
I wish you would seek a seat dealing with Alpine Wasatch One. I grew up there, and I understand the mentality pretty well. The right project, with true authentic flavor would pass. It just needs someone with the right vision and tenacity. Unfortunately, too many of those projects fall short of desirable, and there are a few. For example, at the south entrance into town, that faux school house on the east side of the street, and the business park on the west side, like you mentioned. I don't know whether it's just unsophisticated taste or greedy development practices. I hate the finish look on that faux school.

In a Metro where gorgeous urban views are a dime a dozen Alpine stands out as one of the most beautiful. Even the LDS churches are way too cookie cutter and should have been given a particular flavor. Alpine needs a good dose of Midway and or Park City development appeal that is specific to it's historic identity. I remember a few years back when someone on the Highland Town Council complained pretty loudly about the non descript churches going up everywhere in Highland. It wasn't that this person was agnostic, not by a mile. She just wanted people and the LDS Church to give a little more thought to the historic and visual heritage of the community.

At this point Highland's Kountry Korner, Cedar Hills Center, and Lehi's northeast entrance has probably grabbed the majority of convenient services that Alpiners need, but there must be some kind of shops and offices that would serve Alpine better than what they have now. I mean, don't even get me talking about that business park over on the southeast entrance of town.

Ah, what the heck! Focus on downtown Lehi, Pleasant Grove and American Fork. Those places are at a point in maturity that they are anxiously looking to reestablish their Main Streets, and do it in an authentic way. The more historically charming the development the more they'll love it. We need some successful examples in Northern Utah County to point to, then you'll get enough people in Alpine wanting their own piece of the visually attractive and charming pie.

Liberty Wellsian
Jan 15, 2016, 7:09 PM
^^^ FINALLY! AF Mainstreet has been in serious need of an upgrade!

I'd love to see new business come to main street. I'd like to see new buildings with a classic/historic feel and get rid of some of the horrendus 1950's era buildings.

They need to rehab the old high school on church street.(They needed to 20 years ago)