PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : CHICAGO | 560 N. Fairbanks | 787' Official / 752' Roof | 58 FLOORS | NEVER BUILT

Pages : [1] 2

Steely Dan
Oct 25, 2006, 2:11 AM
here's another big one for chicago. the title and the rendering pretty much say it all for now, but there's a bunch more info in the Newcityskyline story linked below.

Learn more about the building (http://www.newcityskyline.com/50-storyOnFairbanks.html)

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1779/560northfairbanksjz7.jpg

http://www.newcityskyline.com/lastscanC_op_247x600.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/Marino33/lastscanB.jpg
Image provided by BVictor

VivaLFuego
Oct 25, 2006, 2:22 AM
Curious to see a more detailed rendering. This seems to follow a very common Chicago form these days, with a 50-100ft parking podium then a slender tower with balconies. The article suggests some metal columns with glass curtainwall, so maybe we'll get something in the vein of Trump (the 20th floor setback certainly harkens to it). The screen and spire on top are curious, could be elegant or could just be tacky like those atrocious spires on Grand Plaza.

As spoiled as we are in Chicago, I still will gladly take another 787 footer :) why not add just 13 more feet to the spire for a round 800?

spyguy
Oct 25, 2006, 2:22 AM
Mandarin Oriental Jr.

JMH_Architecture
Oct 25, 2006, 2:30 AM
Mandarin Oriental Jr.Funny that what I thought come to find out it's the same architect

Rocket1
Oct 25, 2006, 2:31 AM
If I have my bearings right, this building will go between 600 N Fairbanks and the Fairbanks at City Front Plaza.

Isn't there a parking lot at the site right now?

Nowhereman1280
Oct 25, 2006, 2:41 AM
^ Yes, I looked at the street adresses while I was down there the other day and it looks like 560 is a parking lot, I checked it on Google maps and it showed up as the parking lot in question as well.

HK Chicago
Oct 25, 2006, 2:46 AM
Good location... always nice to add to the sig.

Rocket1
Oct 25, 2006, 2:48 AM
The article at NewCitySkyline also says there's a "Diggitys hot dog stand" in addition to the parking lot.

I've been by the site a number of times before, and can't remember a hot dog stand for the life of me.

Guess my memory's even worse than I thought. :)

Nowhereman1280
Oct 25, 2006, 2:57 AM
I just looked closer on google earth and there is definately some sort of small square structure in the northwest corner of the parking lot that could definately be a hotdog stand.

Chi_Coruscant
Oct 25, 2006, 3:07 AM
MO Jr. will be standing opposite Helmut Jahn-designed glass tower at 600 N Fairbanks. In few years, the Streeterville area will be as dense as Times Square.

nicopico
Oct 25, 2006, 3:23 AM
Score another one for the Second City. I moved away two years ago and can't wait to see all this construction when I go back.

Rocket1
Oct 25, 2006, 3:29 AM
The article mentions that the hotel will be "5 star".

Should folks be concerned that too many luxury hotels might be in current development?

Luxury hotels are part of:

Trump
Waterview
Elysian
Aqua
Mandarian Oriental
Intercontinental

and now 560 N Fairbanks.

Are there really that many additional visitors to Chicago looking to spend $500+/night on a hotel room?

Dale
Oct 25, 2006, 3:41 AM
Another week, another 787-footer.

*yawns*

forumly_chgoman
Oct 25, 2006, 4:11 AM
yeah I've been wondering for years when that lot and hot-dog stand would be bought / forced out......I like the building too bad about the hot dog stands there are not enough "joints" DT as it is

forumly_chgoman
Oct 25, 2006, 4:12 AM
yeah I've been wondering for years when that lot and hot-dog stand would be bought / forced out......I like the building too bad about the hot dog stands there are not enough "joints" DT as it is

SamInTheLoop
Oct 25, 2006, 4:26 AM

Should folks be concerned that too many luxury hotels might be in current development?

Trump
Waterview
Elysian
Aqua
Mandarian Oriental
Intercontinental

and now 560 N Fairbanks.

Are there really that many additional visitors to Chicago looking to spend $500+/night on a hotel room?

Don't forget Canyon Ranch Living - that hotel will no doubt be 5-star as well. And actually, Intercontinental, if it happens will probably be many years off - but at any rate, the current plan calls for a net reduction in number of hotel rooms...

BVictor1
Oct 25, 2006, 4:28 AM
Correct. The building will go between the Fairbanks and 600 N. Fairbanks, on the west side of Fairbanks Ct. Their is a hotdog stand there "Hot Diggity Dog", their pretty good too, but progress is progress. Gonna have a nice little canyon there.

honte
Oct 25, 2006, 6:04 AM
** Removed for copyright infringement **

-Dylan Leblanc

Via Chicago
Oct 25, 2006, 6:05 AM
Mandarin Oriental Jr.

My very first thought.

Via Chicago
Oct 25, 2006, 6:07 AM

-Dylan Leblanc

Chicago3rd
Oct 25, 2006, 12:13 PM

Trump
Waterview
Elysian
Aqua
Mandarian Oriental
Intercontinental

and now 560 N Fairbanks.

http://wilsnodgrass.smugmug.com/photos/61747038-L.jpg
Here is the parking lot. I have a diggity dog somewhere just need to find it...if you look real close along the top of the cars in the parking lot you can see a one story building with a little read roof....that is it. This is looking West across Fairbanks.

And 355 will start soon.

No concern. It is all variable and market driven. Chicago is huge. The baby boom retirement "just" started. Baby boomers weren't just 1 or 2 years...it is like 15 years...and they are all going into the same...time to leave the old homested mood. It could slow down. But we are looking at buildings that will not become to market for 2-3 years.....

If the banking industry is really this stupid, as some think, then we will have a huge crash like the 1930's. But I doubt it.

SamInTheLoop
Oct 25, 2006, 12:20 PM
And 355 will start soon.

No concern. It is all variable and market driven. Chicago is huge. The baby boom retirement "just" started. Baby boomers weren't just 1 or 2 years...it is like 15 years...and they are all going into the same...time to leave the old homested mood. It could slow down. But we are looking at buildings that will not become to market for 2-3 years.....

If the banking industry is really this stupid, as some think, then we will have a huge crash like the 1930's. But I doubt it.

Sorry - having a brain freeze. What's 355?

kayosthery
Oct 25, 2006, 12:39 PM
Sorry - having a brain freeze. What's 355?

The Streeter II I believe.

NYguy
Oct 25, 2006, 1:06 PM

-Dylan Leblanc

PansitPinoy
Oct 25, 2006, 1:21 PM
Nice, another 700 almost 800 foot tall tower!

SamInTheLoop
Oct 25, 2006, 1:29 PM
The Streeter II I believe.

Gotcha. Do you know if Walsh is building that one as well? Will it be rental like the first Streeter? I'm assuming so, given all of the other condo competition in the pipeline and comparatively less rental competition...

SamInTheLoop
Oct 25, 2006, 1:32 PM

-Dylan Leblanc

honte
Oct 25, 2006, 2:04 PM
Yes, that's true (it's certainly happened before ;) ). But you have to wonder, with so many amazing opportunities for expression, why would SCB want to repeat the same ideas so much? Their firm may have to wait another 30 years to see this kind of activity.

2PRUROCKS!
Oct 25, 2006, 2:55 PM
It looks alright but it definatly looks like a hybrid of MO and the Heritage. It appeares to share the convex taller portion and concaved lower half of the Heritage. IMO these curves will look much better with a glass curtain wall than painted concrete.

Steely Dan
Oct 25, 2006, 3:23 PM
^ i agree. this one looks like a new and improved heritage. very similar massing, just with an all glass curtain wall. too bad they couldn't have given us this one facing grant/millennium instead of the heritage. not that the heritage is terrible or anything, this one just looks better.

the urban politician
Oct 25, 2006, 3:49 PM
This building, as the article says, will have 300-320 below-grade parking spaces with 370 hotel+residential units.

Does the zoning for 1:1 parking not apply to hotel units? Just curious.

Either way, I'm certainly a fan of fewer parking spots

Rocket1
Oct 25, 2006, 4:14 PM
The article mentions that 560 N Fairbanks will include some retail.

I think it will be interesting to see how much retail growth develops along Fairbanks/Columbus in the next few years

Michigan Ave seems to be pretty saturated nowadays with retail, so its logical to assume that another North-South avenue might pick up some of the slack.

Fairbanks/Columbus seems a more natural locale for retail, IMHO, than some of the streets the City's been touting to the west.

Weren't State and/or LaSalle supposed to be growing into retail havens?

VivaLFuego
Oct 25, 2006, 4:27 PM
The article mentions that 560 N Fairbanks will include some retail.

I think it will be interesting to see how much retail growth develops along Fairbanks/Columbus in the next few years

Michigan Ave seems to be pretty saturated nowadays with retail, so its logical to assume that another North-South avenue might pick up some of the slack.

Fairbanks/Columbus seems a more natural locale for retail, IMHO, than some of the streets the City's been touting to the west.

Weren't State and/or LaSalle supposed to be growing into retail havens?
I would say state street is already there, LaSalle is just an interesting street, it gets lots of traffic but has several undeveloped lots, lots of development potential for the whole near north/river north area, west of dearborn and south of Chicago avenue. I wonder why development hasn't been faster; are landowners/developers holding out hope to put together some highrise proposals? why not fill in the underutilized lots with mid-rises as the current zoning mostly specifies?

Marvel 33
Oct 25, 2006, 4:55 PM

-Dylan Leblanc

Taft
Oct 25, 2006, 5:07 PM
I would say state street is already there, LaSalle is just an interesting street, it gets lots of traffic but has several undeveloped lots, lots of development potential for the whole near north/river north area, west of dearborn and south of Chicago avenue. I wonder why development hasn't been faster; are landowners/developers holding out hope to put together some highrise proposals? why not fill in the underutilized lots with mid-rises as the current zoning mostly specifies?

There are encouraging signs for that stretch of La Salle, though. The highrise at the corner of La Salle and Superior was topped out not too long ago. There seems to be some activity on the site of those horrible little one story, beige strips that currently house Fogo de Chao. The north building has been vacant for a while. Anyone know what's happening there? Finally, the furniture store adjascent to the Infinity dealer (around grand?) recently converted to a hip looking restaurant.

Plus, don't forget rock 'n rock MacDonalds. That hulk and the accompanying arena sized parking lot really class up that section of La Salle. ;)

I'd say that strech is poised for an upturn in sidewalk activity. Hopefully good construction and businesses keeps flowing.

Taft

Mr Roboto
Oct 25, 2006, 5:13 PM
^Thanks for all the info marvel. I definitely dig this building. I cant believe another 700+ footer. That area in streeterville is becoming dense as hell.

trvlr70
Oct 25, 2006, 5:49 PM
Wow....a rooftop pool over 700 ft above the ground? That will be another great Chicago first.

Sounds like a great place to party.

Alliance
Oct 25, 2006, 7:33 PM
Another week, another 787-footer.

*yawns*
:haha: One day this will stop and we will all cry.

detroitismylove
Oct 25, 2006, 8:02 PM
Will this delicious madness ever end?

i_am_hydrogen
Oct 25, 2006, 8:54 PM
That area in streeterville is becoming dense as hell.

Definitely. You've got 600 N. Fairbanks, Streeter, Streeter II, 550 St. Clair, Cityfront Plaza (potentially 3 buildings), Avenue East, even 600 N. LSD. Here's another elevation drawing.

http://www.newcityskyline.com/lastscanC_op_247x600.jpg

spyguy
Oct 25, 2006, 8:57 PM
Seeing the rendering makes a difference to me - the curving glass is pretty sleek.

SamInTheLoop
Oct 25, 2006, 10:34 PM

Trump
Waterview
Elysian
Aqua
Mandarian Oriental
Intercontinental

and now 560 N Fairbanks.

This got me thinking - it's not so much regular luxury hotel rooms that concern me. The downtown hotel market, including the luxury segment, is as strong as its ever been. I think that there is a window that's open right now that could accomodate a good deal of new supply in all of the moderate to super-luxury segments of the market. What continues to concern me, however, is that developers are continuing to view condo-hotels as viable in Chicago. I know I've mentioned this before, but condo-hotels are going to be a very thin market and IMO will only work in a few very select cases. Otherwise, some of these developers need to stop being so lazy and go to the capital markets for traditional hotel financing sources, which by the way are fairly abundant right now...

aaron38
Oct 25, 2006, 10:40 PM
Okay, here's something crazy to think about. This little proposal here, which just came out of nowhere, at 787 feet, if instantly built today, would be the 2nd tallest building built in Chicago in the last 15 years!!!

It's huge, it just edges out 300 N. LaSalle, and it almost feels as if it could just get lost in the shuffle...

the urban politician
Oct 25, 2006, 10:46 PM

-Dylan Leblanc

chicubs111
Oct 25, 2006, 11:10 PM
hmm...well...we will just have to wait and see. I think the big projects will go through..i dont care if the little ones are put on hold.

aaron38
Oct 26, 2006, 4:02 AM
I would actually be fine with a modest slowdown that relieved pressure a bit in cost areas. When things slow up, there's typically a flight to quality, an increased awareness of where the money's going rather than just throwing it at every fly-by-night proposal that shows up.

And I think a proposal like this represents some of that shift to quality from quantity. I think many of us skyscraper fans would happily trade three 400 footers for one 800 footer. Sure, a quantitative market analysis would show a 33% reduction in units marketed, and therefore a slowdown. But a qualitative analysis shows an extremely tall luxury condo building in the heart of a bustling city.

If the market setled down to a steady pace of 2 towers of this type per year, and little else, I would find it hard to be disapointed.

(Appologies for the analytical nature, that's what happens when you check in after working on a master's term paper)

Big building tall. Way cool!!! - Ah, better :)

budman
Oct 26, 2006, 3:59 PM

Trump
Waterview
Elysian
Aqua
Mandarian Oriental
Intercontinental

and now 560 N Fairbanks.

^I wouldn't put Aqua in the same group as the others (and has been mentioned, it looks like Intercontinental won't get built, at least for a loooooong time). Aqua is going to essentially be the Fairmont, with an increase in rates of about 25%. It might be nice, or even luxury, but not on par with true 5-star hotels at Trump, Waterview (Shangri-La) and the Mandarin. Also, the Elysian is a brand new brand...holding itself out as "5-star", but not so certified. Maybe it will, maybe it wont.

And this new tower looks pretty cool so far, but I would imagine the views at 550 St. Clair and 600 N. Fairbanks will be adversely impacted...

dagobert
Oct 26, 2006, 6:29 PM
The article at NewCitySkyline also says there's a "Diggitys hot dog stand" in addition to the parking lot.

I've been by the site a number of times before, and can't remember a hot dog stand for the life of me.

As others have pointed out there is indeed a hot dog stand. I ate there two times and the reason why I stopped the first time was due to the interesting name. Food isn't anything exciting, so I hope this projects goes through.
Across the street you can see the Helmut Jahn's 600 N. Fairbanks

Here is a picture from emporis:
http://img276.imageshack.us/img276/4027/hotdiggitydogssz4.th.jpg (http://img276.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hotdiggitydogssz4.jpg)

Norsider
Oct 26, 2006, 7:16 PM

Uh oh,

I'm thinking Honte might object to the defamation of one of our glorious city's frankfurterian icons.

forumly_chgoman
Oct 27, 2006, 5:12 AM
OK .,....honeymoon romance is over...chances of this being built???? Bets??

honte
Oct 27, 2006, 7:33 AM
Uh oh,

I'm thinking Honte might object to the defamation of one of our glorious city's frankfurterian icons.

So sorry to disappoint you.

Fluky's or Superdawg would be a different story though.

brian_b
Oct 27, 2006, 1:59 PM
I thought I heard that this site had environmental contamination. Anyone remember anything about it?

BVictor1
Oct 27, 2006, 2:32 PM
I thought I heard that this site had environmental contamination. Anyone remember anything about it?

I've heard that before as well, but just about every site in Streeterville has environmemtal concerns. Because of the Lindsay Light Company, much thorium was disposed in the area. but as you have seen, that hasn't stopped development.

Chicago3rd
Oct 27, 2006, 2:36 PM
Yes it is dirty. But it will be cleaned up once they start...which should be in the next month or so. Doesn't stop construction...has never. If done right things move along smoothly and it is taken care of.

bnk
Nov 5, 2006, 2:43 AM
Whats the latest?

spyguy
Nov 12, 2006, 12:44 AM
Graves Chicago
http://www.graveshotelsresorts.com/graves-chicago.asp

Located at Ohio and Fairbanks will feature 220 Luxury guest rooms, a fine dining restaurant, a full service spa and 300 condo units. Opening is scheduled for late 2009.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2834/graveschicago07qw9.jpg

Busy Bee
Nov 12, 2006, 12:53 AM
Delicious.

BVictor1
Nov 12, 2006, 1:04 AM
Graves Chicago

Located at Ohio and Fairbanks will feature 220 Luxury guest rooms, a fine dining restaurant, a full service spa and 300 condo units. Opening is scheduled for late 2009.

Mandarin's shorter, and much more visible sister. I do like the design, and this building will be more visible, because it's not in the shadows of other buildings like Mandarin is. This will be one of the taller buildings in south Streeterville.

I'm going to attempt to get a better rendering. Nice work SG

SamInTheLoop
Nov 12, 2006, 2:00 AM
^ Very nice. Yes, it looks like other SCB designs, but I am loving this one - I think it will be a worthy addition. Also, I hope Draper and Kramer are not planning the hotel rooms to be condos as well. That will improve the project's chances.

Wheelingman04
Nov 12, 2006, 6:13 AM
It looks like a pretty nice tower.

forumly_chgoman
Nov 12, 2006, 10:27 AM
Graves Chicago

2009??? they better giddy-up

bnk
Nov 12, 2006, 5:06 PM
The Graves 601 Minneapolis has the reputation of being one of the best if the best hotel in all of the Twin Cities. If built expect another top of the line lux hotel for chicago.

http://www.graveshotelsresorts.com/index.asp

pherek
Nov 22, 2006, 11:15 AM
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/4853/img1155xl7.jpg

SamInTheLoop
Dec 7, 2006, 1:03 AM
Looks like this one is going before the Plan Commission next Thursday, December 14!

spyguy
Dec 7, 2006, 1:37 AM
^Like you mentioned:

A proposed Residential-Business Planned Development Application submitted by Fairbanks Development Associates, L.L.C. for the property generally located at 530-548 North Fairbanks Court. The applicant proposes to construct a 58-story mixed-use building containing approximately 191 hotel rooms, 176 dwelling units, ground-floor retail, and 318 off-street parking spaces. (42nd Ward)

DANTHEDISCOMAN
Dec 7, 2006, 5:45 AM
Judging by that rendering and knowledge of the site it seems the tower is quite slender and would not need the small wester portion that Diggity Dogs occupies? I always hate to see these small joints that add character to this city get axed, too bad they can't build over and around it!:)

honte
Dec 7, 2006, 5:52 AM
^Like you mentioned:

A proposed Residential-Business Planned Development Application submitted by Fairbanks Development Associates, L.L.C. for the property generally located at 530-548 North Fairbanks Court. The applicant proposes to construct a 58-story mixed-use building containing approximately 191 hotel rooms, 176 dwelling units, ground-floor retail, and 318 off-street parking spaces. (42nd Ward)

Man, is today our lucky day for towers growing taller? What other good news could we possibly hear?

So, is does this explain the unusual height figures we had before, or does it mean that this building actually might get taller too?

forumly_chgoman
Dec 7, 2006, 6:01 AM
^^^Is there any general feeling how the palnning commision may rule on this proposal??

Nowhereman1280
Dec 7, 2006, 6:02 AM
Honte has a point, I didn't notice that the floor count went up by 8! That could be enough (assuming they don't just shrink the avg. floor height) to push this one (including that pole on top) over 800'!

VivaLFuego
Dec 8, 2006, 7:19 PM
When do they hope to begin sales?

forumly_chgoman
Dec 8, 2006, 7:33 PM
Yeah if they don't change the floor heights and assuming the original floor count was acccurate ----it was 50 right -- then this guy would be about 870ft tall

my gut say thought that the earlier floor count was in error and height will remain

Steely Dan
Dec 8, 2006, 7:36 PM
my gut say thought that the earlier floor count was in error and height will remain

yes, that is my gut inclination as well. that is why i changed the floor count in the title of this thread, but left the height figure alone.

honte
Dec 9, 2006, 2:19 PM
Mandarin Oriental is shrinking and this one is growing... good news for SCB. Pretty soon, they'll only have to design one building and just call it a twin-tower project.

Jaroslaw
Dec 10, 2006, 3:25 AM
Why does Graves describe 220 hotel rooms and 300 condos, and the plan commission specs are 191 and 176?

honte
Dec 10, 2006, 2:58 PM
yes, that is my gut inclination as well. that is why i changed the floor count in the title of this thread, but left the height figure alone.

Counting floors on the elevation on page 1, it certainly appears that the floor count always has been above 50. So, I think you made the right move.

Alliance
Jan 3, 2007, 5:17 PM
Did Fairbanks ever get before the comission (December 14th?)

how did that go?

BVictor1
Jan 3, 2007, 6:44 PM
Did Fairbanks ever get before the comission (December 14th?)

how did that go?

It was deferred until January

SamInTheLoop
Jan 18, 2007, 6:49 AM
Just a reminder - this proposal is scheduled to go before the Plan Commission today if anyone is planning to attend...

dboggie
Jan 19, 2007, 1:03 AM
Nice pics Bvic. One question though, the north face looks pretty narrow compared to the lot, is that accurate, or are they working around the hot dog stand? (probably wishful thinking)

BVictor1
Jan 19, 2007, 1:13 AM
Nice pics Bvic. One question though, the north face looks pretty narrow compared to the lot, is that accurate, or are they working around the hot dog stand? (probably wishful thinking)

the lot will be totally cleared, so if anyone on this forum is partial to that particular hotdog stand, I suggest you get a camera, cause they'll last longer.

BVictor1
Jan 19, 2007, 1:20 AM
Just a reminder - this proposal is scheduled to go before the Plan Commission today if anyone is planning to attend...

All of the highrises presented at the plan commission were approved today.

I took a photo of the rendering for the hotel/condo tower to be built at 560 North Fairbanks. As we already know it looks a lot like Mandarin, and it also looks like a glassier and less painted concrete version of the Heritage.

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/01/512255.jpg

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/01/512256.jpg

Steely Dan
Jan 19, 2007, 1:22 AM
HOT-DIGGITY-DOG!

;)

aaron38
Jan 19, 2007, 3:20 AM
I really like the way this one forms a nice little trio with the other two Fairbanks projects.
Approved is very good. Was there any timeframe given? I immagine they'll need to start pre-sales next, right?

Jularc
Jan 19, 2007, 3:56 AM
Wow nice addition to your amazing skyline! I am glad it got approved! :tup:

Chitown
Jan 19, 2007, 4:24 AM
It's funny; I drove through Indy after Christmas, and I checked the "skyscrapers" there after I got back on skyscraperpage, and it's amusing how many of these projects would be the defining building in that city. Despite it's pathetic skyline, Indy actually has a pretty large population. It goes to remind you just to what degree Chicago kicks ass.

i_am_hydrogen
Jan 19, 2007, 4:29 AM
Is this one 58 or 50 stories? Emporis has it listed as 50.

JMininger
Jan 19, 2007, 5:38 AM
It's funny; I drove through Indy after Christmas, and I checked the "skyscrapers" there after I got back on skyscraperpage, and it's amusing how many of these projects would be the defining building in that city. Despite it's pathetic skyline, Indy actually has a pretty large population. It goes to remind you just to what degree Chicago kicks ass.

Tell me about it. Naptown has only 3 towers over 500' and 2 of them are just barely. There is nothing substantial on the horizon and the last major highrise was built 16 years ago. Major projects are publicly funded or are related to public projects (hotels for new stadium). The population is misleading though ... although there are nearly 800,000 in the city proper, making it one of the larger cities in the country (12th,13th something like that), the metro only has roughly 2 million, placing it much farther down the list. Chicago is a rare breed indeed with a skyline that belies its population (see any number of larger cities in the world). For an architecture fan or just a fan of big cities, Chicago is special.

An aside ... I do have to give Indy credit, the downtown is small but it is a nice place. Much more street life going on down there than many larger cities ... see Dallas where I lived for 8 years before moving to Indy. My wife who grew up in NYC has worked in both downtown Dallas and Indy and prefers downtown Indy by wide margin. Even the decrepit areas immediately outside of downtown are experiencing gentrification and infilling much like a lot of older cities. Hang outside of St. Elmos Steakhouse downtown Sunday night if the Colts beat the Pats and wait for Payton and company to make their customary appearance ... there will be some street life.

Alliance
Jan 19, 2007, 7:24 AM
HOT-DIGGITY-DOG!

;)

Couldn't have said it better.

Chicago Shawn
Jan 19, 2007, 7:30 AM
This project has an FAR of 19.95, pretty small site. These developers went all out to grab the density bounses including:

-Widened sidewalks, I believe the Fairbanks walk will be 15' wide, which is awesome.
-Underground Parking
-Upper level setbacks
-Green Roofs
-$1 Million Contribution to Affordable Housing Trust Fund
-$1.6 Million contribution to Chicago Public Schools capitol improvements trust fund

That last one is a new density bonus recently added to the zoning code.

Chicago Shawn
Jan 19, 2007, 7:43 AM
Is this one 58 or 50 stories? Emporis has it listed as 50.

Thanks for the note, its 58 stories and Emporis has been updated. :)

DePaul Bunyan
Jan 19, 2007, 7:56 AM
All of the highrises presented at the plan commission were approved today.

I took a photo of the rendering for the hotel/condo tower to be built at 560 North Fairbanks. As we already know it looks a lot like Mandarin, and it also looks like a glassier and less painted concrete version of the Heritage.

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/01/512255.jpg

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/01/512256.jpg

You know, it actually reminds me of Aqua in a way. It's almost perfectly aligned north south, and it's a similar distance from the river as well. The side that's facing the lake is wavy. If the materials they use on the exterior are halfway decent this one could be a real stunner. I really don't mind the pedestal bases, as long as they're setbacked and proportional to the rest of the building. Yes, it limits what you can do design wise, but just be glad that we're getting quality stuff like Mandarin and this project and not something like Water Tower Place.

Mr Roboto
Jan 19, 2007, 3:31 PM
This project has an FAR of 19.95, pretty small site. These developers went all out to grab the density bounses including:

-Widened sidewalks, I believe the Fairbanks walk will be 15' wide, which is awesome.
-Underground Parking
-Upper level setbacks
-Green Roofs
-$1 Million Contribution to Affordable Housing Trust Fund
-$1.6 Million contribution to Chicago Public Schools capitol improvements trust fund

That last one is a new density bonus recently added to the zoning code.

Cool. Thanks for the details a lot of people overlook. Not just a sweet building thats gonna look great, but making other very valuable contributions to the city. Glad they added the CPS bonus too. For this project it seems its all a win-win situation. Can't wait to see this baby go up.

aaron38
Jan 19, 2007, 5:15 PM
Wait, this has underground parking? So the pedistal is the hotel then, and not just a parking garage? Or is there still parking in there?
That's a pleasant surprised if all parking is indeed buried.

The wide sidewalks are nice too. I assume that means that a fair number of trees will be planted?

Chicago Shawn
Jan 19, 2007, 6:34 PM
Wait, this has underground parking? So the pedistal is the hotel then, and not just a parking garage? Or is there still parking in there?
That's a pleasant surprised if all parking is indeed buried.

The wide sidewalks are nice too. I assume that means that a fair number of trees will be planted?

I am quite sure all parking is underground, there are only 311 spaces, and yes there will be new trees and planter boxes on the widened sidewalks.

BVictor1
Jan 19, 2007, 6:47 PM
I am quite sure all parking is underground, there are only 311 spaces, and yes there will be new trees and planter boxes on the widened sidewalks.

Actually, there will be between 300-320 parking places, and only about 80 of them will be underground.

Tom In Chicago
Jan 19, 2007, 10:30 PM
That building is god-awful. . . send it up to Toronto. . . they'll be happy to have it. . .

Tom Servo
Jan 20, 2007, 2:51 AM
This one looked great untill I saw the base. WTH?

the urban politician
Jan 20, 2007, 3:41 AM
This one looked great untill I saw the base. WTH?

^ Well, from the rendering it appears that the 'ugly' part of the base will face an alley.

Tom Servo
Jan 20, 2007, 3:48 AM
Well... I shouldn't complain. At least this will look pretty good in the skyline. And at least it'll fill in an empty lot.

Chitown
Jan 20, 2007, 8:21 AM
Tell me about it. Naptown has only 3 towers over 500' and 2 of them are just barely. There is nothing substantial on the horizon and the last major highrise was built 16 years ago. Major projects are publicly funded or are related to public projects (hotels for new stadium).
Yeah, and from what I understand "the people" are pretty much taking it in the rear on that stadium.

The population is misleading though ... although there are nearly 800,000 in the city proper, making it one of the larger cities in the country (12th,13th something like that), the metro only has roughly 2 million, placing it much farther down the list. Chicago is a rare breed indeed with a skyline that belies its population (see any number of larger cities in the world). For an architecture fan or just a fan of big cities, Chicago is special.
Hey, 2 million is not something to laugh at! I mean, yeah, it's further down the list, but that's still a pretty freaking significant metropolitan area. It's amazing there isn't more large scale development than there is. To me, Indy is a fine example of the evil that is urban sprawl.

An aside ... I do have to give Indy credit, the downtown is small but it is a nice place. Much more street life going on down there than many larger cities ... see Dallas where I lived for 8 years before moving to Indy. My wife who grew up in NYC has worked in both downtown Dallas and Indy and prefers downtown Indy by wide margin. Even the decrepit areas immediately outside of downtown are experiencing gentrification and infilling much like a lot of older cities. Hang outside of St. Elmos Steakhouse downtown Sunday night if the Colts beat the Pats and wait for Payton and company to make their customary appearance ... there will be some street life.
Don't get me wrong, I like Indy a lot. My sister went to Butler, and currently resides on the East side; I've visited numerous times, and I find the downtown area to be quaint, for lack of a better term. It's just surprising it isn't more built up than it is. The great thing about Chicago is that it approaches the small-town feel of an Indy, while being a bona-fide 1st class metropolis. I consider myself lucky to be so close to Chicago; it's truly a first rate city.