PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Colorado Front Range Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99

Front_Range_Guy
Jan 18, 2008, 3:12 AM
Hey, front range guy! I know how you're sick of Colorado Springs, but I'm finally starting to fill in some of the drawings. I have the AFA Chapel already up and the Plaza of the Rockies will soon be on there as well.

Cool. I'll check it out.

Top Of The Park
Jan 18, 2008, 5:44 AM
PM me FRG if you like. I see you have gotten tired of the area.

Front_Range_Guy
Jan 18, 2008, 6:03 AM
PM me FRG if you like. I see you have gotten tired of the area.

Thanks...

Really it's just a combination of long-standing frustration, and the fact that my daily schedule has changed in such a way that I'm more directly exposed to... these people... and a friend of mine has recently gone over the deep end with the libertarian crap and I'm just fed up with all of it now. I'm SOOOoooOOOooo tired of listening to him bitch about "fucking marxists."

It doesn't have to be a bad thing though... if anything it's motivated me to work harder at work and think about going back to school so I can get out of here.

If they all move here... I can move somewhere else and not have to worry about them following me...

Top Of The Park
Jan 18, 2008, 2:47 PM
Thanks...

Really it's just a combination of long-standing frustration, and the fact that my daily schedule has changed in such a way that I'm more directly exposed to... these people... and a friend of mine has recently gone over the deep end with the libertarian crap and I'm just fed up with all of it now. I'm SOOOoooOOOooo tired of listening to him bitch about "fucking marxists."

It doesn't have to be a bad thing though... if anything it's motivated me to work harder at work and think about going back to school so I can get out of here.

If they all move here... I can move somewhere else and not have to worry about them following me...

I can certainly understand. Be cool.

Front_Range_Guy
Jan 18, 2008, 8:05 PM
I can certainly understand. Be cool.

Right. The sig is funny though. Even if I do calm down at some point, I'll probably keep it for the amusement of all who read it.

:whip:

P.S. - I hope I don't calm down. I need to stay motivated.

pablosan
Jan 19, 2008, 1:26 AM
Maybe in 100 years CS will get it right, maybe.

Top Of The Park
Jan 19, 2008, 1:35 AM

double

Top Of The Park
Jan 19, 2008, 1:37 AM

MickeyMouse religiousland is too entrenched. Look who we elect down here....:hell: Lamborn. Give me a break :hell: We have a city council which lost its way and couldn't find it's way back with bread crumbs....let alone run the city and its transportation system which is 25 years out of date.

Front_Range_Guy
Jan 21, 2008, 12:44 PM
So TOTP. Is Manitou Springs really the oasis that it's said to be... or is it just hype. It seems like the town is becoming less... weird... I guess... as downtown re-development moves forward and the city starts to gentrify. I don't spend much time in Manitou. I know they've been lauded for their success in downtown re-development. What are your thoughts?

Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs are the only two municipalities that actually merge together in this "metro area." It's interesting they are regarded as polar opposites...

As far as Colorado Springs goes...

Instead of getting angry, it's probably best to stop and look at history...

This city was never intended to be a large city. It's probably grown larger than anyone ever imagined it would. First and foremost, Colorado Springs was designed as a resort get away for a rich military general. The gold rush in Cripple Creek fueled growth in Colorado Springs for a short time. It gave us the Mining Exchange Building and The Exchange Bank Building. Cripple Creek benefited more from that boom than Colorado Springs did though. I believe Cripple Creek was home to some 50,000 people at one point before the city burned down Chicago style. Colorado Springs as it is today was first and foremost built by the military and there is a military culture... and there has to be a military culture. A strong military is a necessary evil... The evangelicals don't really bother me as much as the old retired military who don't feel they should have to pay taxes, and the current military who know they won't be here for very long, have no stake in the community, and have no desire to pay high taxes to improve it. So... Colorado Springs is what it is. It's a military town. That's it's fate. Who am I to challenge that. I'm told Fort Carson is the base of choice in the army, and clearly Washington likes Colorado Springs as a military hub... if Colorado Springs ever becomes a large city, it will be built on a foundation of military and federal jobs... military will always play a large role, religion will always play a large role... it could perhaps become a "Washington of the west." It will never be what I want it to be, and I probably should get over it now. The culture of military and religion that exist here are not my thing. I really don't have a right to try to force the large military and christian community to change their lifestyle. At the same time, I deserve to live in an environment I feel comfortable in... so I guess I probably will have to leave at some point.

Top Of The Park
Jan 21, 2008, 5:29 PM
Manitou Springs is so very unique. To be honest, I don't live right in Manitou, but to the south, but I love the place and feel it must have been a special place to the native Americans. The little town is more ecclectic and interesting than even Estes Park, another facinating place.

I think the military really keeps the city of Colorado Springs thriving. I am not opposed to it and it wouldn't matter if I was. I guess we should be happy to have 3 bases and the Air Force Academy close by. I am suprised that there aren't more federal offices here. There seem to be two kinds of military retirees here. Career people with pretty good pensions...and then a number of short stint people, who kind of just hang around floundering after their service.

What puzzles me is the number of pretty big houses in the city. I can understand the old money people around the Broadmoor and up the hill, but the number of fairly pricey houses to the north and east, kind of blows me away, as there doesn't seem to be the number of jobs here associated with the income needed to afford them. Also, the big church business and associated companies on the international scope, kind of amazes me too. Its clear many of the people buy into the older version of the American Dream, which may be modifying itself soon, due to the economy.

I remember as a kid seeing department stores and a vibrant downtown here. Yet, unlike some, I really love the small town in a bigger city. I like the downtown here, but it makes me sad when we loose places like Michelle's. I keep watching these proposals, hoping for some kind of project to spur more development. I think the Cooper building may help.

I can see where a bigger city is bekoning you. I think Denver, at some point, would be a good fit. Too bad right now we are in a downcycle, but that should change.

Front_Range_Guy
Jan 22, 2008, 1:18 PM
I went to Nosh for the first time yesterday. That was a fairly pleasant experience. Especially looking out over the pioneers museum with the snow coming down.

The lack of high paying jobs is my biggest concern when looking at the future of downtown. Who the hell is going to buy these $400,000.00 lofts when the largest private employer here is Wal Mart?

The city isn't willing to do what it needs to do to attract the high paying jobs... so I guess that's the end of it.

The Dirt
Jan 22, 2008, 7:06 PM
I'm trying to draw the Antlers Hilton in CS, but I don't have any clear photos of the front entrance and the bottom 3 floors. Can anyone post these so I finish up the drawing? Thank you!

Front_Range_Guy
Jan 23, 2008, 7:30 PM
I tried google images. You're right, it's hard to find any pictures that clearly show the bottom floors. Unfortunately, I don't think I have one either. I will look around later, though...

The Dirt
Jan 24, 2008, 6:06 AM
I'm thinking that the windows look pretty much the same and there's probably a 2 window wide entrance with some sort of awning above it. I guess if no one can scrounge up some pictures I'll probably just resort to guessing.

Front_Range_Guy
Jan 24, 2008, 6:13 PM
Apparent fallout from the recent brawl...

JANUARY 24, 2008
Club chameleon
The Vue will be born again, again

BY J. ADRIAN STANLEY

The Vue, with its stylish decor, made an immediate impression when it opened in 2005 (above), but the sign will be changing soon at the Tejon Street club.
File Photo

In the early hours of Sunday, Jan. 13, an estimated 30 to 40 patrons of downtown's Vue nightclub erupted into a fight. When police arrived, they also had to disperse an uncooperative crowd of 200 to 300 people outside the club.

It won't happen again. At least not at the Vue.

Owners Sam and Kathy Guadagnoli closed the Vue for good on Jan. 14, though Sam Guadagnoli will not say whether the recent violence led to the closing. A peek through the popular club's windows this week reveals remodeling already in progress.

So what's next? Sam Guadagnoli says interested parties have jointly decided not to release details for two weeks.

"I want to tell you," he says. "I want to tell you all about it. I want to tell you how exciting it is."

Guadagnoli's lips may be sealed, but not everyone is holding his tongue.

City Councilman Jerry Heimlicher says he heard the club would become a new incarnation of Cowboys, the Guadagnolis' popular country-western bar, which has long been located on Palmer Park Boulevard.

Police Cmdr. Kurt Pillard seems equally unaware of the Guadagnolis' cloak of secrecy.

"It's my understanding," he says, "that what used to be the Vue will be renovated, and what used to be Cowboys will be renovated, and they'll flip-flop."

Back in 2006, Sam Guadagnoli told then-Gazette reporter Jim Bainbridge that he was scouting East Woodmen Road, Black Forest, Falcon and downtown for another Cowboys site.

"We definitely want to open a second Cowboys," Sam Guadagnoli said at the time.

The Guadagnolis, who count Rum Bay, Blondie's, the Red Martini and Sam's World's Smallest Bar among other holdings, also are part of the team developing downtown's planned 22-story Cooper Tower. They're known for frequent changes to their establishments.

The Vue opened in 2005 and featured clubs within clubs — each themed with modern, Las Vegas-inspired decor. At the time, the Guadagnolis were funneling millions downtown to create the Vue, open Blondie's (and another bar that since has been sold), and make changes to many of their other bars, largely to accommodate smokers displaced by the state ban.

Such large-scale investments were nothing new for the Guadagnolis, who also dumped big bucks into the Vue's predecessor, the industrial-style Tequila's, which lasted about five years.
_
J. Adrian Stanley

The frequent changes don't appear to be the result of flawed business models; any observer could tell you the Guadagnolis' clubs pull in the crowds. In fact, if anything, they may be too good at doing that.

Pillard says that in 2007, the Vue, Rum Bay and Eden (which is not owned by the Guadagnolis and is now 13 Pure) likely made more calls to police than any other businesses in the Gold Hill police district: 270, 309 and 207, respectively. That puts a lot of stress on the department, Pillard says. Because of that, he's been meeting regularly since 2006 with downtown club owners.

Pillard says he wants better lighting, earlier closures of bars and clubs, and an ordinance that requires bar owners to mop their patrons' vomit off the sidewalk. He also wants bar owners to let police know about crime trends.

But realistically, Pillard doesn't think that arrests of bar-goers for assaults, rapes, theft, narcotics, drunk driving and even murders will go away. The crime comes with nightlife.

"I think that type of activity has been ingrained in law enforcement since the days of Wyatt Earp," Pillard says. "People go to bars, they drink to excess and they call the police."

— stanley@csindy.com

AND...

JANUARY 24, 2008
Saving South Nevada
Merchants group wants to bring new life to a hit-or-miss area

BY J. ADRIAN STANLEY

_
A change would do South Nevada good: Businessmen Bill Kenline and Lynn Karnes are part of a grassroots merchants group that wants to see the area improve with beautification, better lighting and less crime.
Photo by L’Aura Montgomery

The drivers, parked in a row, peer out the windows of their shiny SUVs and luxury sedans cautiously.

Outside, some tenants of the motel next door have spilled into the Continental Cleaners parking lot and are actively engaged in a screaming match. The dry cleaner's patrons, in their crisp designer clothes, bite their lips. They make a run for the store's doors.

No skirmish is going to keep them from that $1.60-a-garment dry cleaning.

But Lynn Karnes, owner of Continental Cleaners on South Nevada Avenue, is tired of the motel crowd giving his customers the willies.

"When the chief of police is a customer of mine, and he comes in and tells me that sometimes he's glad he has a gun when he comes here, that tells me we have a real problem here that needs to be solved," Karnes says.

He isn't alone. Small-business owners along the most depressed section of South Nevada Avenue are banding together. They have something in common: They see the promise of a clean, thriving business district where many others see little more than a vortex of criminal activity.

These hopeful business owners call themselves the South Nevada Merchants Association, and with the help of police, City Council and County Commissioners, they just might take back the neighborhood.

Step 1: Empower

Bill Kenline, co-owner of the area's Econo Lodge, is heading up the organization, which is concentrating on beautification, attracting new business and stopping crime. Kenline says people think South Nevada is worse than it is.

True, there's crime, but the cars in his parking lot don't get broken into. He sees panhandling, drug deals and prostitution, but he thinks that overall, the area's troubles have dissipated in recent years.

"I think the public perception is far worse than the reality is," Kenline says.

But word of mouth, true or not, can kill business. Kenline says he'll sometimes book rooms for out-of-towners, only to have them cancel when their Springs relatives tell them the area is sketchy. Other times, though, families will stay in his motel and come back the next year, saying they feel comfortable and love how close the motel is to area attractions.

Indeed, the area is near downtown and The Broadmoor, and is buffered by the fancy, revitalized Lowell neighborhood, the modernized Broadmoor Towne Center, tidy lower-to-middle-income neighborhoods, and even fancy restaurants like The Blue Star and Edelweiss.

"[Fixing the area] is not a big problem, because it's a small neighborhood," Kenline says. "If you look at Tejon Street a block away, it's a whole world apart."

One year after Kenline and a handful of local business owners organized, they have attracted 21 members and are collecting dues of $100 a year (with some giving more). One goal is putting flags on light poles as a way to spruce up the area aesthetically. The group already has a third of the money needed for that project, and is hoping the flags could appear in late spring.

After that, the group has much bigger goals. And the members already have some help.

Step 2: Make friends

One of their most ardent fans is City Councilor Jerry Heimlicher, who has been working with the group for about six months. He says banners won't do a lot of good if you don't tackle the root of the problem, namely a few ragtag motels that don't check prostitution, drug-dealing and violence on their property.

"It's kind of like, I don't want to say perfuming the pig," he says.

You can't make private business leave, Heimlicher says, but you can enforce nuisance laws (in response to constant 911 calls) and code enforcement. Also, you can take steps to beautify the area.

Heimlicher contacted County Commissioner Sallie Clark for assistance; Clark thinks she can help the group consider options such as creating a business improvement district, which would allow the area to raise its property taxes, then use the money for everything from better lighting and security cameras to new sidewalks to flowerbeds.

An urban-renewal or enterprise-zone classification, which can come if an area is classified by government as "slum and blight" or "economically distressed," could offer financial incentives to business. Clark says she'll present some of the options, and get the group in touch with people that can help.

"I think that the whole community should be participating in this," Clark says, explaining that the best kind of change comes from businesses taking ownership of their community. "It allows businesses already existing to expand and to grow and to make it more attractive to bring more businesses into the area."

— stanley@csindy.com

COMMENTS

Front_Range_Guy
Jan 26, 2008, 2:31 AM
I'm thinking that the windows look pretty much the same and there's probably a 2 window wide entrance with some sort of awning above it. I guess if no one can scrounge up some pictures I'll probably just resort to guessing.

I have a little time this evening so I'm going through my photo's. I don't think I'm going to find one... honestly, I hate the Antlers. I'm fairly forgiving of Colorado Springs less than inspiring architecture, but the Antlers makes me want to vomit, so I don't waste my time taking pictures of it. Anyway, if I find anything, I'll post it here.

Front_Range_Guy
Jan 26, 2008, 3:18 AM
Well... 38 pages of photos on photobucket, and this is the only one I have... sorry.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Chris80906/Rain057.jpg

For future reference: City Walk Downtown Lofts

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Chris80906/ColoradoSpringsNov4th06064.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Chris80906/cosupdate2.jpg

The Dirt
Jan 26, 2008, 6:10 AM
I've uploaded the Antler's diagram with what I guessed is the entrance, but thanks for the help anyway! So, that completes the Colorado Springs page for now. I'll make the requests to add more buildings. Any order I should do it in?

The Dirt
Jan 26, 2008, 6:12 AM
I have a little time this evening so I'm going through my photo's. I don't think I'm going to find one... honestly, I hate the Antlers. I'm fairly forgiving of Colorado Springs less than inspiring architecture, but the Antlers makes me want to vomit, so I don't waste my time taking pictures of it. Anyway, if I find anything, I'll post it here.

Yeah, the Antlers is a bit too pink for my taste. :yuck:

Front_Range_Guy
Jan 27, 2008, 10:25 PM
Drunk much?

From The Colorado Springs Police Blotter:

Incident Date January 27, 2008 Time 1:42:00 AM Division Gold Hill Shift III
Title Downtown Location 20 North Tejon Street
Summary On 01-27-08 at approximately 01:42 am, Officers were dispatched to 20 N. Tejon Street on a reported urgent assist with a peson who possibly fell from a balcony at Rum Bay. Officers arrived on scene and found that a 25 year old male had jumped off a second floor balcony landing on and injuring a 47 year old woman who was standing on the first floor of the bar. The woman was taken to Memorial Hospital to be treated for injuries sustained in this incident. The investigation is continuing with criminal charges pending the extent of injuries of the woman.

UPDATE: The victim was identified as Lorraine Aragon and she sustained neck and back injuries. The suspect, Jason Dizon, was also being treated for complaint of injuries and will be booked into CJC for assault and reckless endnagerment upon his release from the hospital.
Adults Arrested Jason Dizon DOB 08-23-82

Top Of The Park
Jan 27, 2008, 11:21 PM
I wish they'd left the old Antlers and just added a tower behind it

Front_Range_Guy
Jan 28, 2008, 12:02 PM
Yeah, that would have been better... I don't really know the history very well... I'm guessing the logic that saw the old Antlers torn down was the same logic they used when they tore down The Burns Opera House and countless other historic gems. Of course the original burned down, but the second Antlers was great too. I can't prove it, but I really think that pink thing that's there now is the second version of the new antlers. I swear I've seen an old picture pre-wells fargo tower in which the antlers was a squatty glass box. No one else seems to believe me, but surely I didn't make that up. Anyway... So far, none of the historic buildings that have been torn down over the decades have been replaced by anything that's made it worth it.

My bank's main branch is in Old Colorado City. Sometimes I wish I had held out a little longer until something in my price range came up for sale over there. Realistically though, everything over there in my price range was collapsing. LOL.

Want to see some pictures that make me sad?

From ghostdepot.com

This view would be from the Pioneers Museum, which was the El Paso County Courthouse at the time. You can see the Antlers towers in the background.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/co/elpaso/postcards/bevcsp.jpg

The old Antlers.

http://ghostdepot.com/rg/images/royal%20gorge%20route/antlers%20hotel%20hr.jpg

Looking west on Pikes Peak. At least we still have The Exchange National Bank Building in the left foreground. The 3-story white building in the center left is the opera house. My mom can remember when it was The Chief movie theater. She's described it as grand and elegant on the interior.

Those roots web (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/co/elpaso/postcards/anthot.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/co/elpaso/postcards/ppcs-elpaso.html&h=357&w=544&sz=58&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=oXsCLmtVwCAJIM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=133&prev=/images%3Fq%3DAntlers%2BHotel%2BColorado%2BSprings%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN) pics are actually pretty cool. I've never even heard of some of these places, like Deaconess Hospital.

From rootsweb.com

http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/co/elpaso/postcards/anthot.jpg

It's funny. This town has changed so much... and yet, so little.

Hey, Dirt, here's a pic of the current Antlers that shows the lower floors. (http://www.afmusic.org/images/AntlersHiltonHotel.jpg)

This 1882 drawing of Colorado Springs is cool too, You can easily pickout the larger landmarks, and I would assume the community in the background is Manitou. (http://filelibrary.myaasite.com/Content/11/11739/12644978.jpg)

Top Of The Park
Jan 28, 2008, 5:36 PM
...such a shame

blm3034L!fe
Jan 28, 2008, 8:21 PM
WOW that is impressive, poor Co-Springs I hope one day someone will be elected that will have vision and acknowledge the history and possible future potential of Co-Springs.

Front_Range_Guy
Jan 28, 2008, 9:24 PM
When it comes to tearing down historic gems for parking lots... Colorado Springs is no different from any other city, except for that Colorado Springs was so small that it's stock of important buildings was also very small... every loss was a HUGE loss... and that the conservative/military/christian culture trends heavily toward suburban development and ignoring of downtown... It really is more of a giant bedroom community. What Mesa is to Phoenix, only 70 miles removed from Denver. Never say never... but I'll be surprised if there is a major turn around in our life-time. The people who care REALLY CARE... but the number of people who care is also pretty small compared to those who just want to live in Briargate and shop at First and Main Town Center.

The Dirt
Jan 29, 2008, 7:10 AM
Antlers that shows the lower floors. (http://www.afmusic.org/images/AntlersHiltonHotel.jpg)

Thanks, front range guy! You know, it looks like the lower floors in this picture aren't actually part of the Antlers. Am I right or is this just an optical illusion?

Front_Range_Guy
Jan 29, 2008, 1:56 PM
The Wells Fargo Tower, The Antlers Hilton, and The First Bank Building (Holly Sugar) all share an underground parking garage and are all connected at the ground level... along with a handful of other businesses. The complex is called "The Palmer Center."

Front_Range_Guy
Jan 29, 2008, 2:42 PM
Well, we're waking up to news of another unthinkably horrible crime this morning... This is getting old. What the fuck is wrong with people?

from 9news.com

COLORADO SPRINGS - Fire investigators have declared a Monday night deadly fire a homicide and are investigating the mother of the children involved.

At around 10 p.m. Monday, the Colorado Springs Police and Fire Department responded to a home on the 3200 block of Galena Court.

Responding officers were able to rescue five children from the home. According to police, a 1-year-old child died and four others were taken to Memorial Central with critical injuries. Police say two of those children were then airlifted to Children's Hospital but the hospital cannot confirm the information due to privacy laws. Police say the two other children may also be airlifted as well. The extent of their injuries is not know.

Police said the 25-year-old mother, Maria Joseph, was found about a block from the home and was taken to Penrose Main Hospital for non-life threatening injuries. Police also said they believe she was inside the house when the incident occurred but wandered away as officers began arriving.

The Violent Crimes Unit along with the Colorado Springs Fire Department are investigating and have declared this a homicide investigation. They say Joseph is under police guard with charges pending. Officials believe she will be charged with one count of murder, four counts of attempted murder and possibly arson charges.

(Copyright KUSA*TV, All Rights Reserved)

pablosan
Jan 29, 2008, 8:52 PM
Shameful, all the way around.

Top Of The Park
Jan 30, 2008, 12:20 AM
...and then remind myself we have 600K residents. I guess mathmatically we are going to have some bad examples of human beings mixed in. Sad.

Front_Range_Guy
Feb 1, 2008, 3:36 AM
I don't necessarily have a problem with the pedestrian bridge, but did they have to go out of their way to make it so hideous?

Pic and article from gazette.com

http://www.gazette.com/pictures/1201821726-bridgenew2.jpg

Nothing stands in way of Springs' first skybridge
Comments | Recommend
By RICH LADEN
THE GAZETTE
January 31, 2008 - 7:13PM

Minneapolis has had them for years, and they’re popular in Cincinnati, Seattle and Des Moines, Iowa.

Now, a Colorado Springs developer plans to build what could be the city’s first skybridge over a downtown street.

LandCo Equity Partners received City Planning Commission approval last month to build an open-air, pedestrian walkway across Colorado Avenue, about halfway between Nevada Avenue and Tejon Street. The bridge will link LandCo’s planned Stratton Pointe office building, at Colorado and Tejon, with a city parking garage that opened in October.

A deadline to appeal the Planning Commission’s decision passed this week with no challenges, which clears the way for LandCo to proceed, City Planning Director Bill Healy said.

LandCo envisioned a skybridge when it proposed in 2005 to gut the former Design Center furniture store building, add four floors and transform it into the six-story Stratton Pointe, company chairman Ray Marshall said.

Downtown’s top office buildings — such as the Wells Fargo Bank Tower, the FirstBank Building and the Plaza of the Rockies — have parking underground or next door; a skybridge to the city garage is needed to help Stratton Pointe lure tenants, he said.

“We believe we’re building the best Class A building in the city, and we have to have direct access to the building (from the parking garage) to do that,” Marshall said.

Three downtown buildings have skybridge connections to city parking garages, but those walkways are shorter, extend over alleys and are set back from streets.

Based on his work with historic images, Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum Director Matt Mayberry said he doubts downtown has ever had a skybridge crossing a city street.

As now designed, the skybridge would stretch 104 feet, and its 12-foot width would accommodate four people walking side-by-side. Its 24-foot height would allow vehicles — including semi-trailers — to easily pass underneath, city planners say.

The bridge’s decorative brickwork and pillars would match the character of the new parking garage. Light posts proposed for the skybridge — and shown on an architect’s computer-generated image — will be removed in favor of lights mounted along skybridge walls, said Dick Anderwald, the City Planning Department’s division manager.

Colorado Avenue provides a picture-postcard look at Pikes Peak for westbound motorists; wouldn’t the bridge hinder views?

Maybe, but any disruption would be temporary, unlike office buildings that permanently block views, Anderwald said. The City Planning staff recommended approval of the redesigned version of the skybridge.

The Downtown Partnership, the area’s leading advocacy group, opposed an initial design because it was little more than a steel walkway, said Beth Kosley, the partnership’s executive director. The group also complained its building-to-garage link would have kept shoppers and restaurant-goers off the street.

A redesign calls for the bridge to run from the parking garage’s fourth level to the third floor of the City Administration Building, and follow that building’s rounded corner to link to Stratton Pointe. The bridge no longer will cross Colorado diagonally, which will shorten its reach, Kosley said.

Also, a stairway will permit Colorado Avenue pedestrians to walk up to the bridge and over to the garage or allow Stratton Pointe tenants to exit the building and walk down to street level, she said.

The stairway was key to the Downtown Partnership’s support; some cities have torn them out because too many shoppers and diners bypass ground-level stores and restaurants, she said.

The Planning Commission heard at least one objection from a downtown businessman when it considered the project at a Jan. 17 special meeting.

Blake Wilson, co-owner of the Art Bank and Oriental Rug Center, questioned whether the public has had enough opportunity to view the skybridge plans.

He also said he feared the skybridge will set a precedent and suggested it will benefit only the developer and building tenants.

LandCo will pay construction, maintenance and liability costs associated with the skybridge, Healy said.

Stratton Pointe’s construction is expected to begin within a month and be finished 11 or 12 months later, Marshall said. The skybridge will be constructed as the building nears completion, he added.

bunt_q
Feb 1, 2008, 4:44 AM
Wow, that's bloody awful.

Top Of The Park
Feb 1, 2008, 4:52 AM
COS leadership brainset is 25-30 years in the past...one more thing to prove it.

FrancoRey
Feb 1, 2008, 6:53 AM
where's my freeway strait through downtown? :P

citycenter
Feb 1, 2008, 2:02 PM
Oh my God - It's blocking my view of Pikes Peak!!

Front_Range_Guy
Feb 1, 2008, 9:04 PM
This is a bit odd. (http://csbjblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/australian-football-coming-to-springs.html)

Front_Range_Guy
Feb 3, 2008, 10:32 PM
So... James Proby, of all people, is the general manager of the new 13 Pure (http://www.krdotv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7812208) nightclub where Eden used to be. James Proby?

Really?

I don't know why that surprises me. It does, though.

How was that for random?

live4rmthaBoxState
Feb 4, 2008, 5:30 PM
So... James Proby, of all people, is the general manager of the new 13 Pure (http://www.krdotv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7812208) nightclub where Eden used to be. James Proby?

Really?

I don't know why that surprises me. It does, though.

How was that for random?

Who is james proby? is that club still open, and do they still play hip hop or is it n up scale club now?

Top Of The Park
Feb 4, 2008, 5:49 PM
they showed the interior on the news the other night...lots of plastic. What a dump.

pablosan
Feb 4, 2008, 10:00 PM
That skybridge is aweful.

arkhitektor
Feb 5, 2008, 12:05 AM
Pardon a stupid question from an outsider:

I'm trying to learn more about Colorado Springs.

Is it a part of the Denver metro or does it pretty well function on its own?
Does anybody commute to Denver to work?
Is it in its own media market?

Just wondering. I realize that COS is designated as a seperate metro area, but here along the Wasatch Front, Provo-Orem, Salt Lake, and Ogden Clearfield are designated as 3 individual metros but in reality they function as one. Is it similer with Denver and Colorado City or are they too far apart to be considered together?

Top Of The Park
Feb 5, 2008, 12:35 AM
Although the Front Range as it is called, runs from Ft. Collins, Loveland, Longmont, Boulder, Denver Metro, Douglas County, Castle Rock, Colorado Springs and Pueblo...around 200 miles pretty much connected together, the fact is that Colorado Springs as well as Douglas County and Castle Rock are all pretty conservative (even ultra conservative say some due to the religious right's influence)...Denver is pretty much moderate to liberal.

COS or Colorado Springs has two AF bases and one of the largest Army bases around and Norad and The Air force Academy just north. Denver has The Federal Center and a ton of downtown Federal offices so there is plenty of commuting and not for that reason alone. Denver is pushing 3 million, COS is at 600K. Both have their own identities.

blm3034L!fe
Feb 5, 2008, 3:28 AM
^ I will add to this a bit, arkhitektor I know what you are talking about how Utah County and SL County are some-what now being connected with the developments at and near each county border. IMHO with the Narrowness and "small Canyon" feel there at Draper I don't see how it would be "Truely Connected" but I see the Utah'ns point, Ogden and what not is Choked off IMHO WAY before that by The Great Salt Lake. IMHO there is no "True Connection" Hell look at a map and one will see where I am coming from.

Anywhoo IMHO Ft Collins is still not truely Connected to the Metro Denver Area, neither is Co Springs. However from Downtown Denver each other metro is only 70/75 Miles away now if your talking metro area to metro area? I'd say Co Springs is about 25-30 Miles away and Ft Collins about 30-35 Miles away Metro wise.

The Denver area to give you an Idea of the land mass this City/Metro takes up, is made up of 7 Countys will surpass 3 - Million in the Metro area 2008 Population wise and the Loop or I-470. Is equivilant to a drive from I-15 from Provo to Downtown SLC out to Park City down through Heber and Provo Caynon then Back to I-15. Denvers Metro along the Front Range begins at Castle Rock and ends at Boulder/ Longmont.

Now mind you that is only the 470 Loop I mentioned Castle Rock, Boulder and Longmont are all part of the metro area as well, but they are beyond the belt route, Hell Aurora is now 1-2 Miles beyond the belt route freeway.

The difference is Utah / Wastach front is PACKED between two Mountain Ranges One very beautiful and one that looks like Dukey IMHO however that is why in Utah you now have that feeling where Ogden / SLC / Provo-Orem are all one Metro. with 40 Miles between each of your City's.

Compaired to 70 Miles between Ft Collins-Greeley-Loveland / Denver / Colorado Springs-Pueblo Big difference in Population, Land and Distance between the Metro Area's of the 2 States. The other thing is there is nothing to stop the Sprawl and or growth here. Utah eventually will have to figure something else out I'm affraid? :(

I think the growth will eventually be concentrated south, like St George. And the Wasatch front will be limited or else will find small valleys in the south west of the Wasatch Front in the Crappy dune looking Mountain ranges that are full of Sage. Good luck with that! LOL Sorry couldn't resist, but hell look at the Front Range here all we have out east is Plains? Not really exciting either, but it doesn't stop the growth from going out there. But the western pockets will be the future growth spots for the Wastach front in another 20 years or so I'm sure. Here it will simply continue to grow until the day comes where one could say that yes the metro area of Denver extends to both Colorado Springs and Ft Collins. PLEASE GOD NO!!! :yuck:

The Dirt
Feb 5, 2008, 4:13 AM
My two cents: COS and Denver pretty much are two separate metro areas. There is a clear population, cultural, and political divide between the two. I would say that Ft. Collins and the northern Front Range is more integrated into the Denver metro area than COS.

By the way, I'm always surprised to see so many Russian people on SSP... and in Utah? I guess I don't come from a typical Russian area myself.

Top Of The Park
Feb 5, 2008, 4:32 AM
....all you have to do is drive south from Denver to COS and you realize its pretty much civilization the whole way. I make the drive a couple times a week. Ft collins is headed that way too with all the new housing developments along the way. Are they still seperate? Yes. Just like Westminster, Broomfield etc going almost to Boulder, but Boulder will stay it's own city too.

Front_Range_Guy
Feb 5, 2008, 12:56 PM
Pardon a stupid question from an outsider:

I'm trying to learn more about Colorado Springs.

Is it a part of the Denver metro or does it pretty well function on its own?
Does anybody commute to Denver to work?
Is it in its own media market?

Just wondering. I realize that COS is designated as a seperate metro area, but here along the Wasatch Front, Provo-Orem, Salt Lake, and Ogden Clearfield are designated as 3 individual metros but in reality they function as one. Is it similer with Denver and Colorado City or are they too far apart to be considered together?

1) They are seperate metro area's.
2) Yes. People commute to Denver to work. People from Denver also commute here to work, and plenty of people travel back and forth between Colorado Springs and Pueblo for work as well.
3) Colorado Springs is it's own media market. Yes. Denver is # 18, Colorado Springs is # 93.
4) The two metro area's are essentially divided by 70 miles worth of mountain ridge, and are absolutely too far apart to be considered one. Really, though, there's only about 30-miles of nothingness between Castle Rock and Colorado Springs. The rest is pretty developed. The stretch between Monument Hill and Castle Rock will stay relatively untouched because of the Greenland Open Space.

Important things to consider: Colorado Springs economy is overwhelmingly dominated by the military and Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is this towns largest private employer. If you are not military, there's really no good reason to consider a move here, unless you are a devout evangelical who is looking for a strong religious community to join, or an outdoors enthusiast who likes climbing red rocks and doesn't give 2 shits about politics. Commuting to Denver is more than doable, obviously Denver's job prospects are incredible, but the drive uses a lot of gas and the weather get's nasty on the ridge between the two cities during the winter. Pueblo is even more economically depressed than Colorado Springs is. Liberals who's priorities go beyond politics can find happiness here, especially if they focus on the small area's of downtown, the west side, and Manitou Springs that are sane... but in general, it's a frustrating place to live if you aren't a conservative. For now, my family and my career are more important to me than being in a place where everyone agree's with me... though as recent weeks have shown, it does really wear me down sometimes.

Giovoni
Feb 7, 2008, 5:30 AM
I honestly don't know where you guys find these people .. not that I think unmarried teen moms should get awards but what's next.. stoning them again? I still think Boulder is just as embarrasing from the left.. but it's more of a collective thing.. no one up there endulges us often enough with priceless quotes to giggle at.

Lawmaker says unmarried teen parents are 'sluts'
By Ed Sealover, The Gazette
Originally published 10:12 p.m., February 6, 2008
Updated 10:12 p.m., February 6, 2008
A Colorado Springs lawmaker referred Wednesday to unmarried, pregnant teenagers and the fathers as "sluts," who should be made to feel ashamed for their lack of morals.

Rep. Larry Liston's remarks were made during a discussion of Colorado's high teen pregnancy rate with health care professionals at a Republican legislative caucus lunch.

"In my parents' day and age, they were sent away, they were shunned they were called what they are. There was at least a sense of shame," Liston said of unmarried teen parents. "There's no sense of shame today. Society condones it . . . I think it's wrong. They're sluts. And I don't mean just the women. I mean the men too."

Rep. Stella Garza Hicks, a Colorado Springs Republican who was at the meeting, said afterward she was "disturbed" and "offended" by his use of the term 'sluts' to refer to young people who have to live with a mistake they've made.

Front_Range_Guy
Feb 7, 2008, 1:39 PM
:previous:

Also from the only in Colorado Springs file, this article appeared in today's New York Times.

Speakers at Academy Said to Make False Claims

By NEIL MacFARQUHAR
Published: February 7, 2008

The Air Force Academy was criticized by Muslim and religious freedom organizations for playing host on Wednesday to three speakers who critics say are evangelical Christians falsely claiming to be former Muslim terrorists.

The three men were invited as part of a weeklong conference on terrorism organized by cadets at the academy’s Colorado Springs campus under the auspices of the political science department.

The three will be paid a total of $13,000 for their appearance, some of it from private donors, said Maj. Brett Ashworth, a spokesman for the academy.

The three were invited because “they offered a unique perspective from inside terrorism,” Major Ashworth said. The conference is to result in a report on methods to combat terrorism that will be sent to the Pentagon, members of Congress and other influential officials, he added.

Members of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, a group suing the federal government to combat what it calls creeping evangelism in the armed forces, said it was typical of the Air Force Academy to invite born-again Christians to address cadets on terrorism rather than experts who could teach students about the Middle East.

“This stuff going on at the academy today is part of the endemic evangelical infiltration that continues,” said David Antoon, a 1970 academy graduate and a foundation member.

The three men were invited to talk about being recruited and trained as terrorists, not religion, although one of them, Zak Anani, did tell students that converting to Christianity from Islam saved his life, said John Van Winkle, another spokesman for the academy.

Muslim organizations objected to the fact that no other perspective about Islam was offered, saying that the three speakers — Mr. Anani, Kamal Saleem and Walid Shoebat — habitually paint Muslims as inherently violent. All were born in the Middle East but Mr. Saleem and Mr. Shoebat are now American citizens, while Mr. Anani has Canadian citizenship.

“Their entire world view is based on the idea that Islam is evil,” said Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on Islamic American Relations. “We want to provide a balancing perspective to their hate speech.”

Academic professors and others who have heard the three men speak in the United States and Canada said some of their stories border on the fantastic, like Mr. Saleem’s account of how, as a child, he infiltrated Israel to plant bombs via a network of tunnels underneath the Golan Heights. No such incidents have been reported, the academic experts said. They also question how three middle-aged men who claim they were recruited as teenagers or younger could have been steeped in the violent religious ideology that only became prevalent in the late 1980s.

Prof. Douglas Howard, who teaches the history of the modern Middle East at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Mich., heard Mr. Saleem speak last November at the college and said he thought the three were connected to several major Christian evangelical organizations.

“It was just an old time gospel hour — ‘Jesus can change your life, he changed mine,’ ” Mr. Howard said. “That is mixed in with ‘Watch out America, wake up America, the danger of Islam is here.’ ”

Mr. Howard said his doubts about their authenticity grew after stories like the Golan Heights saga as well as something on Mr. Saleem’s Web site along the lines that he was descended from the grand wazir of Islam. “The grand wazir of Islam is a nonsensical term,” Mr. Howard said.

Keith Davies, the director of the Walid Shoebat Foundation, which organizes their appearances, said critics tried to undermine the speakers’ reputation because “they can’t argue with the message.”

Arab-American civil rights organizations question why, at a time when the United States government has vigorously moved to jail or at least deport anyone with a known terrorist connection, the three men, if they are telling the truth, are allowed to circulate freely. A spokesman for the F.B.I. said there were no warrants for their arrest.

citycenter
Feb 7, 2008, 3:06 PM
Are they building something on academy grounds or is this just a political story?

Front_Range_Guy
Feb 8, 2008, 1:24 PM
Yeah... the last two were political stories. With Beedy, Bruce, Rivera, Dobson, Liston, and more... we're really building up a dream team here, aren't we. :yuck:

You can click the video link here (http://www.krdo.com/global/story.asp?s=7841552) to see how some of the tv media have covered this...

Front_Range_Guy
Feb 8, 2008, 6:16 PM
Here's a strange, assumption filled article from the independent. If Routon actually KNOWS something... he should come out and say it. If he's been told to sit on it, he should just sit on it. At this point it just sounds like he's connecting the dots in his mind and making huge assumptions.

FEBRUARY 7, 2008
USOC: city's new magnet

By RALPH ROUTON
Finally, slowly, quietly, the pieces have been falling into place.

The deal isn't completely done, but the U.S. Olympic Committee, from all indications, has locked in on a new site for its headquarters in Colorado Springs.

The result, probably finished sometime in early 2009, will create a new focal point for the city, at an intersection sure to become an instant downtown magnet:

Tejon and Colorado.

Actually, the office-building project now known as Stratton Pointe (formerly the Design Center), is located at 27 S. Tejon St., according to the tax assessor's information.

Just don't be surprised if that mailing address changes at some point, given the USOC's flair for the dramatic, and the precedent of its changing the current complex address from 1750 E. Boulder St. to 1 Olympic Plaza.

No problem. Let the Olympic folks have whatever street address they want — as long as it's followed by Colorado Springs. Heck, while we're at it, why not convince the Postal Service to give 'em their own ZIP code?

We've been alluding to most of this for months, and more often than not, the hints from various sources have been strongly optimistic. However, between some of those updates, we're hearing now, the outcome was anything but certain.

At this point, it isn't about breaking news anymore. In fact, just last week a Gazette story mentioned the Tejon site as possibly being the USOC's new home.

Let's take that a few steps further here. If the Olympic Committee stays — and we're not hearing anything to the contrary now — that will be the location.

The earlier coverage brought up a skybridge over Colorado Avenue, connecting the Stratton Pointe building — which would become the latest incarnation of Olympic House — to the city's spacious new parking garage.

That skybridge, which will be the first one crossing an actual thoroughfare in Colorado Springs, offers far more potential than simply serving as a convenient, covered walkway. Designed, constructed and spruced up properly, it could (or will, if you prefer) become a striking landmark, identifying the Olympic presence to residents and visitors alike. There are ways to make such a structure stand out impressively without overdoing it, and the guess here is that the right people are way ahead of us on that part.

That doesn't even count for the building itself, or the top of it. One can only imagine the project's architects would relish — and be inspired by — the task of incorporating the Olympic rings in some appropriate, highly visible manner.

Colorado Springs has more reason to feel pride in the USOC and the Olympic movement than in any of the city's other "worldly" possessions (in other words, those not considered natural wonders). With the USOC's headquarters in such a prime location, it should inspire those involved with other aspects of downtown to press forward, no matter what the economic climate might be.

This also will open up more room for much-needed expansion inside the current Olympic Complex, with additional living and training facilities for the athletes coming as soon as possible.

No, it's not official yet. As one source was saying last week, the different parties are "still in the final stages of the pre-nup agreement." After it's done, when the Olympic people are ready, we'll have the grand announcement with more details.

Here's all we need to know for now: Everybody will win.

First, of course, the USOC will win (not to mention its staff members who, from all reports, weren't excited about possibly leaving). If the Olympic Committee was to keep its headquarters here, the idea of moving downtown was perfect for all involved, starting with the exposure in a high-traffic area. It'll also make for increased competition among restaurants and other businesses, and it should enhance the chances for another high-quality hotel nearby.

What was all that talk about the USOC looking at other cities? It wasn't just talk. It was real, and someday the details will come out that if the Springs' leaders hadn't pushed as hard as possible, we could've suffered a sad, painful defeat.

Instead, the Olympic presence appears on the threshold of assuming an even more prominent place in the city's consciousness for years to come.

And if you want to call it the best thing that ever has happened to downtown Colorado Springs, go right ahead.

TheMetaphysicist
Feb 9, 2008, 4:43 AM
whoa, if this is actually genuine, this is wonderful news for downtown. Please, please be true!

Front_Range_Guy
Feb 9, 2008, 6:45 PM
whoa, if this is actually genuine, this is wonderful news for downtown. Please, please be true!

We can only hope. We're overdue for some good news. We'll see... I don't exactly regard Routon an expert. We all know Chicago and Denver are very interested... I guess this is a time for cautious optimism.

In the mean time... another rough night in the ole' town...

From KRDO.COM (http://www.krdo.com)

http://krdo.images.worldnow.com/images/7847180_BG1.jpg

2 Dead, 2 Others Injured in Springs Shooting

COLORADO SPRINGS - Colorado Springs Police confirm two people are dead following shootings on the city's southeast side. A total of four people were shot. Police say one was dead on arrival at the Whitney Young Manor Apartments at 2133 Delta Drive. Another person was transported to the hospital where the person died.

Apparently two victims were found at the Sonic Drive in at 2032 South Academy Blvd. No names have been released of the victims who died, nor are there updated conditions on the other two people who were shot.

Police now say the shootings happened after or during a house party that was being held at the apartment complex.

NEWSCHANNEL 13 is following this developing story and will report any new details in this report on krdo.com.

When I left work it sounded like a man who was shot at another incident around 5:30 this morning had also died. 3 murders in 1 night is a bit much.

Top Of The Park
Feb 9, 2008, 8:02 PM
southeast COS is starting to remind me of parts of Aurora

Boiseguy
Feb 10, 2008, 12:47 AM
I honestly don't know where you guys find these people .. not that I think unmarried teen moms should get awards but what's next.. stoning them again? I still think Boulder is just as embarrasing from the left.. but it's more of a collective thing.. no one up there endulges us often enough with priceless quotes to giggle at.

Lawmaker says unmarried teen parents are 'sluts'
By Ed Sealover, The Gazette
Originally published 10:12 p.m., February 6, 2008
Updated 10:12 p.m., February 6, 2008
A Colorado Springs lawmaker referred Wednesday to unmarried, pregnant teenagers and the fathers as "sluts," who should be made to feel ashamed for their lack of morals.

Rep. Larry Liston's remarks were made during a discussion of Colorado's high teen pregnancy rate with health care professionals at a Republican legislative caucus lunch.

"In my parents' day and age, they were sent away, they were shunned they were called what they are. There was at least a sense of shame," Liston said of unmarried teen parents. "There's no sense of shame today. Society condones it . . . I think it's wrong. They're sluts. And I don't mean just the women. I mean the men too."

Rep. Stella Garza Hicks, a Colorado Springs Republican who was at the meeting, said afterward she was "disturbed" and "offended" by his use of the term 'sluts' to refer to young people who have to live with a mistake they've made.

who hasn't been called a slut once or twice... or 50 times?.. whatever...:shrug:...lol

Front_Range_Guy
Feb 11, 2008, 8:16 PM
I was downtown today for the first time in a couple of week's. On Wednesday I will be signing an employment contract that pretty much ties me to this place for another three years... So... I'm renewing my efforts to buy downtown whenever possible. I need a watch. So I went to this watch place. They are closed for the next week starting today. Greeeaaatttt.... it alway's seems to work that way with me and downtown. On the plus side, I've recently started taking an interest in wine and there is a place that seems pretty cool called Vintage Wine and Spirits at 9 S. Tejon. The service was great. I'll be a repeat customer. Yay. I finally bought something downtown after trying for over a year.

I also stopped at Centennial Hall and changed my party affiliation from Independent to Democratic. Based on social issues alone, I can't imagine a circumstance under which I would ever vote for a Republican... so why not? Yes... they did give me a little shit for becoming a Democrat in oh so Republican El Paso County. It was all in good fun though.

A few things I noticed...
A lot of progress has been made on Bancorp Plaza, there is some serious work going on inside the old Design Center building. They've completely torn it up inside, and whatever they are doing, there is some serious wind blowing plastic out of the top floor windows. The sign has also been taken down finally... oh... and there isn't shit happening at the Cooper Tower site. Not that I expected there to be...

That concludes the story of my day downtown.

pablosan
Feb 11, 2008, 9:10 PM
Congrats on the three year extension.

Top Of The Park
Feb 11, 2008, 9:49 PM
Yes congrats.....probably not a bad idea to be tied up for 3 years and let this real/or imagined recession run its course. Its funny how even a perception can become a reality.

Say have you ever tried any Palisade Colorado wines? We discovered this tart cherry wine (not too sweet) bottled by Colorado Cellars. It usually goes for under $10 a bottle at Cheers...kind of hard to find around town. We discovered it at the Manitou Springs Wine festival last year.

Front_Range_Guy
Feb 12, 2008, 11:35 AM
:previous:

No... but I've really only started drinking wine in the last couple of months. It sounds good... I know they bottle on the Western Slope and in the Canon City area. I'll have to keep an eye out... Maybe next time I'm in Vintage I'll find out what Colorado wines they carry.

Front_Range_Guy
Feb 12, 2008, 1:35 PM
Noel Black's piece on homelessness (http://www.newspeakblog.com/the_blog/2008/02/noels-story-fro.html#more)from this month's issue of Newspeak! is worth the read if you have a few minutes. I have mixed feelings about the homeless, and while compelling, this article has done little to solidify my opinion. Still, it's solid journalism and really... when it comes to this topic, I think compassion and an understanding of the fact that "it could be me" probably is the best way to approach it. There's alway's this nagging feeling... they COULD do something about if they wanted to... but who am I judge? I'm just grateful I'm not in that situation... it sounds terrible.

GreatMuta
Feb 13, 2008, 11:02 AM
It's good to see them starting on Stratton Pointe. I've always thought the Design Center was one of the ugliest buildings downtown. Should be a huge improvement. I wonder when it will be completed. I wish I could join the wine discussion but I don't know much about wines. I've always been more of a cognac/brandy/whisky person. Good article on the homeless. I don't notice too many in CO Springs but everytime I go to Denver I see quite a few homeless folks. It would be tough especially in winter.

Front_Range_Guy
Feb 14, 2008, 6:23 AM
from gazette.com (http://www.gazette.com)

Special district may finance downtown redevelopment

By WAYNE HEILMAN
THE GAZETTE

A major downtown property owner hopes to use a special district to help finance redevelopment of five downtown buildings, including one being eyed by the U.S. Olympic Committee for its headquarters.

The Colorado Springs City Council on Tuesday approved the creation of four districts for LandCo Equity Partners, including one for the five properties.

Such districts are common financing tools for new development, but are rarely used to renovate older downtown properties. The districts could issue up to $112 million in bonds that would be repaid by property taxes on land or buildings in the district.

Developers have used special districts to finance public improvements because they are less costly than bank loans, can finance improvements local governments can’t afford and can easily bypass state revenue limits, said Pete Susemihl, a Colorado Springs attorney who is setting up the districts.

The buildings in the downtown district include the proposed Stratton Pointe project, an office building at 19 N. Tejon St., the historic Mining Exchange Building and two adjacent buildings. The other districts include a planned shopping center and a housing development on Powers Boulevard and nine retail and office properties scattered around the city. All are owned or being acquired by partnerships LandCo controls.

LandCo is renovating the North Tejon Street, Mining Exchange and adjacent buildings. It also plans to gut the former Design Center, add four floors and transform it into the six-story Stratton Pointe, which would include a skybridge to a nearby city parking garage.

The downtown district can use the money it raises to remodel the facades and make safety improvements to the downtown buildings, including adding fire sprinklers and elevators, as well as to redo sidewalks and landscaping, according to documents included in Tuesday’s council agenda.

The USOC is considering a move of its Colorado Springs headquarters from its training center near Union Boulevard and Boulder Street to Stratton Pointe, some businesspeople familiar with talks between city officials and the USOC said earlier this month.

LandCo Chairman Ray Marshall declined Wednesday to say what potential tenants are considering Stratton Pointe or talk about any of the districts.

City Councilman Jerry Heimlicher said Tuesday he is “hoping the whole issue (with USOC) will be done and finished by the end of this month.”

USOC spokesman Daryl Seibel said Wednesday that the group’s board of directors will discuss “the review of various proposals” USOC has received from the Springs and other cities for its headquarters at a regularly scheduled meeting Feb. 22 in Atlanta.

Seibel said he didn’t know whether USOC President Jim Scherr and consultant James Didion will be ready to recommend a proposal to the board. He declined to comment on whether the USOC is considering Stratton Pointe as a site for its headquarters.

The districts for the properties outside downtown are designed to finance public improvements such as utilities, traffic lights and parking.

The property at Barnes Road and Powers Boulevard is across from the city’s first Costco warehouse club, scheduled to open Wednesday.

Susemihl said the four districts can issue tax-exempt bonds at an interest rate of about 4 percent, which is about 2-3 percentage points less than LandCo would pay to borrow the same amount from a bank.

Although the districts could issue up to $112 million in bonds, the documents in the agenda estimate the cost of all improvements at $31.2 million. About $11 million would be used for redevelopment of the five downtown buildings, according to the council documents.

Susemihl said such districts often request a higher bonding ceiling than needed so they don’t have to seek another approval if they later want to issue more bonds.

The districts still must gain approval from a 4th Judicial District judge, and LandCo and its partners must vote to form the districts and issue the bonds in a mail-ballot election expected to be completed in mid-March, Susemihl said.

LandCo wants to get the districts created and bonds approved by mid-March, or under state law it will have to delay the elections six months, he said.

citycenter
Feb 14, 2008, 2:50 PM
colorado springs makes me sick.

bunt_q
Feb 14, 2008, 4:40 PM
Why's that? Everybody uses districts...

Front_Range_Guy
Feb 15, 2008, 6:22 AM
colorado springs makes me sick.

Why? Because a few people here are finally realizing that the free market alone isn't going to kick start development downtown?

Private investment will come... but only when the private sector is convinced the city is willing to invest in itself. That's true everywhere.

Also, Frontier announced new flights (http://www.gazette.com/articles/springs_33126___article.html/denver_frontier.html) from KCOS to KDEN today...

GreatMuta
Feb 21, 2008, 6:42 AM
Cowboy's club will replace The Vue, owner says
Comments 38 | Recommend 4
Owners will fill void with east-side club; they hope patrons behave better
By LANCE BENZEL
2008-02-19 19:09:00
THE GAZETTE
When a fight at the downtown dance club The Vue spilled outside and snowballed into something resembling a riot, the club’s operators say they recognized the need for change as well as anybody.

They shuttered the place the next day, on Jan. 14.

“We had a problem, and we took care of it,” said founder and former owner Sam Guadagnoli, who said he agrees with critics that patrons of the club at 25 N. Tejon St. had grown increasingly combative.

Now, in what he calls “the worst-kept secret” in downtown Colorado Springs, Guadagnoli is confirming plans to replace the controversial club with Cowboy’s Country and Western, a club he owns on the city’s east side.

A full-scale renovation began in January. Assuming the city clears the tavern for operation, it will open when the overhaul is complete, though recent work delays mean developers will likely miss a March 1 target date.

Guadagnoli and his business partner, Chuck Schafer, say they believe the club will attract a better-behaved group of patrons.

But will they get along with revelers from the pair’s other club, Rum Bay — especially at closing time, after the liquor’s been flowing?

Guadagnoli and Schafer say critics have already begun grumbling that the two groups will prove a combustible mix, especially after hours.

They say it’s a false assumption, given the diversity of the crowd at Rum Bay, whose network of connected dance clubs offers a variety of music, including country.

“I think it’s sad,” said Schafer, who added that he and Guadagnoli have as much stake in keeping their patrons safe as any business owner. “To say that it’s going to be an all-out problem . . . because one likes country and one likes dance music gives such a wrong impression.”

Police have fingered Rum Bay and The Vue as two of the main drivers behind the after-hours mayhem downtown.

Together, they accounted for about 580 calls for service in 2007, police said, well above the area’s next two top call-generators — the now closed Eden, with 207 calls, and The Ritz, with 153 calls.

Police Cmdr. Kurt Pillard identified the block containing the dance clubs as “the eye of the hurricane” in an interview last week with the Gazette.

He did not return phone messages Tuesday to ask about the potential effect of bringing Cowboy’s downtown.

The club operators dispute the numbers provided by police, saying that a detailed list of the calls shows that many occurred hours before either club opened, and sometimes on days when both clubs were closed.

“They use our place as a landmark” when writing reports, Guadagnoli said.

Guadagnoli and Schafer say that well before the Jan. 13 melee plans had been in the works to close The Vue and reopen after a renovation — with the intent of attracting a different crowd.

The men say they first approached the city liquor board with plans for an overhaul in November, though at that point they said they had envisioned a beach-themed club.

“You can’t just say that you’re going to be different,” said Vince Linden, the men’s attorney. “You’ve got to change the whole thing.”

Agreeing to close The Vue was only one of the changes they’ve made since the problems started. Guadagnoli sold The Vue to Schafer two years ago; the men co-own Rum Bay, and Schafer serves as the manager.

The pair agreed in January to halt an after-hours party that had thrived at The Vue for six or seven years, and they say they’re open to a plan that would charge tavern operators to hire off-duty police officers to patrol downtown.

Those were among the suggestions from the Downtown Business Improvement District, which participated in a yearlong review of complaints related to the downtown bar scene, including fights and early morning noise.

The group has also proposed creating a cabaret license that would mandate that bars close at 2 a.m. and prevent them from reopening for after-hours parties.

Helen Upton, chairwoman of the Downtown SAFE Committee, welcomed the prospect of expanding the entertainment options available downtown. Whether problems erupt at closing time will likely have more to do with how many people are filing outside than anything else, she said.

“If you want to ask what is the problem downtown, some of it is having more people downtown,” she said. “That’s a good thing, and that is a challenge.”

blm3034L!fe
Feb 21, 2008, 8:00 PM
^ My gawd how F-ing ridiculus!!!!

Let's hope half of these damn cry babies never go to a real City with REAL problems... :rolleyes:

Oh no they are partying to loud downtown, Oh look they are fighting OMG! What do we do? Help us someone please! Colorado Springs is full of heithans!!! (SP)?

Royboy
Feb 22, 2008, 12:29 AM
Hey Everybody,

Forgive me, but this is my first post. I totally understand some of the frustrations with our city, but this thread seems to have turned into the smear Colorado Springs page. Well, I for 1 love living here. I have found the people here to be great, for the most part. Yes, we are home to Doug Bruce, unfortunately, but we are also home to the most beautiful setting for a city in the USA (sorry Portland and Seattle, I am giving us bonus points for our climate!!) Instead of reading about how bad our city is, I think it important to look the positive....always. We potentially have a new ski area coming to Pikes Peak, a new downtown amateur sports stadium, new significant development on the N. Nevada corridor, at least one new high-rise in Cooper Tower (not to mention the development on Interquest), as well as a new airline in Frontier. This is, not to mention, in addition to the fact that it looks like the USOC is planning to stay, lured by our council, and making a MAJOR improvement to our downtown. We will have THE crown jewel of Colorado State Parks (Cheyenne Mountain), we have the coolest parks of any city in the US (Garden of the Gods, North Cheyenne Canyon, Pikes Peak). Our commute times on I-25 have decreased dramatically, and downtown will finally be able to start growing again (being shut off from I-25 was very difficult.) Our foreclosure rate is LOWER than Denver. Compare us to places that are really in a downturn....not too bad.

I would like to see downtown continue to develop in density. I'd also like to see Garden of the Gods Road full of jobs again. We'll see.

Believe it or not, I have not found COS to be intolerant at all, I have lived many places, and the people here are far more tolerant than, let's say, the South. Intolerance here runs just as deep on "both sides." I say this just as a point of, hopefully, reflection. Please accept it as such. Glass is half full or empty? Easily, it has to be half full.

Thanks.

TheMetaphysicist
Feb 22, 2008, 4:14 AM
Royboy, good post. I too am a prisoner of hope.

Front_Range_Guy
Feb 22, 2008, 6:38 AM
I used to be...

If you want to maintain your positive attitude, leave SSP right now and never come back.

(I didn't mean that in a "your not welcome here way", I meant it in a "I was happy before I found SSP too" way... thought I should clarify.)

Front_Range_Guy
Feb 22, 2008, 8:20 AM
On a less whiny note...

It looks like this weeks Independent (http://www.csindy.com/gyrobase/index)is dedicated to downtown. There are several articles which I haven't read yet... but are probably worth looking at.

PLANSIT
Feb 22, 2008, 2:01 PM
^^ Me too, I tried (and failed) to defend C. Springs when I first came here. I love that city, but it has a lot of problems that don't mesh with my found ideology.

Giovoni
Feb 22, 2008, 2:12 PM
Great post and welcome!

I went to CC and loved the college there... I completely agree that the glass is half full in COS.

It's just all the way full in Denver.

Front_Range_Guy
Feb 22, 2008, 3:22 PM
I'm generally not a Tosches fan, but this column made me laugh...

from The Colorado Springs Independent:

FEBRUARY 21, 2008
Focusing on evolution

By RICH TOSCHES

As you know, I've been a staunch defender of Focus on the Family ever since the devoted members of the respected religious group arrived in our town on their broomsticks.
They came from California to Colorado Springs, lured by the open spaces, the gigantic tax breaks approved by the geniuses who run our village and, most of all, by messages from God himself — sacred guidance delivered to them via the incessant sound of barking dogs that only they can hear.

Just last week, for example, the group's Order of the Holy Knights responded to a clear message from the Lord by voting unanimously to hate all left-handed dwarfs named Roger. (Footnote: They rescinded the vote 20 minutes later when they discovered the "message from the Savior" was actually a beagle chasing a cat through the Focus parking lot.)

Now, Focus is under attack again. This time, the criticism stems from last week's decision by its charismatic leader, the Rev. Jim Jones, I mean Jim Dobson, to endorse Mike Huckabee for the Republican presidential nomination. Huckabee, by the way, will speak in our village on Friday, Feb. 22, at a private event at The Broadmoor. And right here, I'd like to be the first to say "Welcome!"

Anyway, the former Arkansas governor — whose own family tree didn't exactly develop deep roots, if you know what I mean — doesn't believe in evolution.

Dobson also has his doubts. From his CitizenLink Web site: "... naturalistic evolution — which boils down to the claim that all living things, including humans, are a product of undirected, natural processes. Intelligent design challenges that claim."

Loyal followers see this so-called "intelligent design" when they enter the $55 million Focus on the Family palace in our village and marvel at how the lavish marble staircase takes them both up from the lobby and, later, back down.

Dobson, you might recall, refused to endorse likely Republican nominee John McCain and said he might not vote at all in the November election. That stunning announcement caused many of the independent-thinking Focus on the Family loyalists to become nervous, wander away from the flock and get attacked by wolves.

Sean Essex, in a letter to the Denver Post, said Dobson and his followers "are acting like spoiled children who don't get their way." Dobson responded by throwing his Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers sippy cup across the room, soaking Tigger with apple juice.

The endorsement of Huckleberry, I mean Huckabee, has brought heavy criticism from the crazy people who believe in ridiculous things like fossil evidence and molecular biology instead of the more likely scenario involving God clapping his hands and creating humans "on the third day." (Executives at The Broadmoor, where Huckabee will be part of the Leadership Program of the Rockies, believe God used Day Four to create their hotel. And, apparently, Days Five and Six to surround it with the prison-like fence to keep most of us the hell out.)

Dedicated Post letter-to-the-editor writer Jim Balcerovich reacted this way: "The "I'll take my ball and go home' attitude Dobson and others like him have when they don't get their way ... shows they are an embarrassment to our party."

In a terse rebuttal, Dobson denied being an embarrassment and added that he and other evangelicals don't even use the word "balls" because it sounds dirty. The exception, obviously, is their colleague Ted Haggard, who uses the word like it's going out of style.

In light of all the criticism of Dobson for his sharing Huckabee's view that evolution is a myth, I feel the need to defend the Focus folks just as I always have. Frankly, that's what friends are for. So I stand tall today and, with a great sense of pride and in an unwavering voice, I say this:

If you ever get a chance to see Mr. Huckabee, or to sit and listen to Focus on the Family executives, or to get a good look at their devoted followers, well, you'll have your doubts about evolution, too.

Listen to Rich Tosches on MY99.9 Thursdays at 8 a.m. Reach him at rangerrich@csindy.com.

Top Of The Park
Feb 22, 2008, 3:43 PM
There are so many interesting places in COS to eat, hike or check out, that I am not very critical of it anymore. Like the italian restaurant at the train station...what a nice little gem. COS is what it is. If I had to put a knock on it I would say we have the world's dumbest drivers and traffic signal light retardation...but I have factored that in.

Front_Range_Guy
Feb 24, 2008, 7:11 AM
Democrats Have Record Turnout At County Convention (http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/15907317.html)

Front_Range_Guy
Feb 29, 2008, 4:35 PM
At the end of the day, I don't believe Colorado Springs as a whole wants to be a city... and I don't believe it's right for the minority here to impose progress on an unwilling populous. Colorado Springs is what Palmer wanted it to be... and he never intended for it to be a major city.

It's pointless, that's all.

Front_Range_Guy
Feb 29, 2008, 6:05 PM
From Newspeak! (the space that used to house Bijou Gardens, right across Bijou from the stately, spacious Newspeak offices, has put up a sign declaring the impending arrival of Athan's Downtown Market.)

the space that used to house Bijou Gardens, right across Bijou from the stately, spacious Newspeak offices, has put up a sign declaring the impending arrival of Athan's Downtown Market.

the sign says they'll have "organic snacks" in addition to cigarettes, cigars, magazines and other sundries.

http://www.newspeakblog.com/the_blog/images/2008/02/28/100_3287.jpg

Front_Range_Guy
Mar 1, 2008, 9:55 PM
Going through the ole' photobucket account, looking for a new avatar... It's not all bad.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Chris80906/August27th2007002-1.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Chris80906/Loathing38waitor-1.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Chris80906/Loathing34treluna.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Chris80906/RRextra.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Chris80906/RR19.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Chris80906/RR8.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Chris80906/WorkHail2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Chris80906/May10pic55statue.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Chris80906/cosupdate12.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Chris80906/cosupdate10rubbish.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Chris80906/MonParkFixed5.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/Chris80906/Downtown7.jpg
;)

It's been a long winter.

TheMetaphysicist
Mar 1, 2008, 10:03 PM
"stay south of fillmore" - I like it.

It truly is ridiculous how much more desirable the south side is than the north side (in my opinion). Why would anyone travel to the north side? a mall? they had to?

TheMetaphysicist
Mar 1, 2008, 10:04 PM
oh, and is the picture of the rock and pond at red rocks, because that is really awesome

Front_Range_Guy
Mar 1, 2008, 10:10 PM
Yeah, that's Red Rock Canyon here in The Springs. Not Red Rocks in Denver. I'm assuming you meant Red Rock Canyon. I can't wait until all of the ice melts and I can start going up there again...

I rarely venture north of Cimarron. Generally if I'm headed any further north than Uintah, it's because I have a specific mission or am headed to Denver. It's awful up there. Especially Northeast around Woodmen & Powers.

Front_Range_Guy
Mar 6, 2008, 7:14 PM
This article from The Colorado Springs Independent

Dusting off Gold Hill Mesa

By RICH TOSCHES

Over the past year, I've spent many days wandering through a wonderful new housing development springing up on our west side, a project approved by the deep thinkers on our City Council (proud motto: "More Property Tax Money Means More Shrimp at Our Christmas Party").

The development eventually will have more than 1,200 houses, and it's built on ground that was once the home to the nation's largest gold and silver mill. In the soil are an estimated 14 million tons of deadly contaminants.

But I am not afraid. And so I frequently go to check on the progress of the development and its spiffy new homes — holding my notebook in my left hand, my pen in my right hand, and shielding my eyes from the sun with this brand-new hand at the end of the arm that has grown out of my back.

Welcome to Arsenic Acres.

Not that arsenic is the worst thing in the soil.

Here's what the National Safety Council says about lead, the other big treat under the new homes: "[Lead] can contaminate household dust as well as bare soil around the house, where children may play. ... All it takes is the lead dust equivalent of a single grain of salt for a child to register an elevated blood lead level."

On a more positive note, there's no Neighborhood Watch group as effective as one made up of concerned citizens with four or five eyes.

Here's more useful information from that Safety Council report: "A dog that rolls around in lead-contaminated bare soil may end up transporting some of that lead into the home."

The report didn't mention the effects on the dogs themselves. But the other day I saw a cute beagle-mix pooch that seemed healthy. He was very friendly, and I bent down and scratched him in that sensitive area that all dogs have, just above his mane. He responded with a wag of his tail and a loud moo.

Arsenic Acres — the developer and people who've bought homes call it Gold Hill Mesa — was once the Golden Cycle Mill. It opened in 1908, closed in 1949 and at its peak processed 800 tons of gold-rich ore every day from the gold mines of Cripple Creek. The process left millions of tons of arsenic and lead, natural elements separated from the gold. Cyanide was also used and it, too, remains in the soil.

But developer Bob Willard covered the 210-acre site with about four feet of new soil. And plastic tarps. State and local officials say that was good enough.

And then the California-based John Laing Homes started building homes under the actual banner of "More Thought Per Square Foot," a motto that narrowly beat out several other fine suggestions including, "Wow! Look at the Size of Our Kids' Heads!"

The sales office boasts 12 home models, now priced from about $290,000 to $375,000, depending on your "wish list." The choices include one called the Colorado Railroad exterior, named because of the "choo-choo" noise and deafening whistle your cat will emit about a month after he rolls in the dirt. Another model is called Story Book exterior, with the main theme being the always-popular Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale, "The Little Mermaid (And How She Got Her Tail)."

State health officials insist that everything will be so much better after all the houses are built and the dirt is covered with asphalt, concrete sidewalks and grassy yards. In the meantime, a two-year contract to water the dirt regularly had cut down on the flying dust — until the contract recently ran out.

Soon thereafter, on Sunday, Feb. 24, heavy winds swept across the area, creating a scene that made The Grapes of Wrath seem like a gentle breeze. Huge, angry clouds of red dust blew across the development and down onto the city below, enough that one nearby resident told the Gazette it was comparable to the always-pleasant sensation of being "sand-blasted in the eyeballs."

The water-spraying truck was back on Feb. 27 and Mark Walker, a state public health official, assured the Westside Pioneer that the single incident wouldn't be harmful, but that there would be danger from "a 30-year exposure." And that's supposed to make everyone feel better, as they wash their clothes and cars for the fifth time trying to remove all the dust.

There are also two ponds in the development built to catch the toxic drainage water. The ponds have been fenced to keep the kids out, although people say before the fences, little Billy Schmidlap became something of a neighborhood celebrity when he went down with his fishing rod and caught a 6,000-pound perch. He eventually dragged it up onto the shore, using one hand to grab its antlers while using the other to grab its breasts.

And so the building continues, and people keep buying the homes, and just west of downtown, atop a mountain of funny dirt, a nice, old-fashioned neighborhood continues to grow.

What will not grow, however, are any types of fruit or vegetables. Homeowners must sign a legal notice promising not to grow anything that could be eaten, especially deep-rooted things such as fruit trees. You know, just in case — and it's so unlikely, it's hardly worth mentioning — the cyanide, arsenic or lead seeps through the sheet of plastic.

Because what you definitely don't want in your idyllic neighborhood is to find grandma curled up at night under a shawl, reading her new book by the bright light coming out of her homemade apple pie.

Listen to Rich Tosches each Thursday at 8 a.m. on MY99.9. He can be reached at rangerrich@csindy.com.

The "Cowboy's" sign is up on the old Vue building. I have to admit... my stomach turns when I see it. The reaction from downtown regulars seems to be mostly negative... Logically this makes no sense... but I think there is this underlying fear that this is some sort of conspiracy to bring suburban cowboy wanna-be conservatives into downtown. I have visions of drunk people in Cowboy hats walking around the corner to The Underground to beat up gay people. Maybe I'm paranoid... but from what I've read, I'm not the only one who feels this way. Downtown is our little oasis.. and it's being invaded.

Finally, when I was downtown yesterday I noticed signage on The Alamo Corporate Center. I guess we can call it The Compass Bank Building now. The military contractor Booz Allen Hamilton bought the signage rights for South Tower at the Plaza of the Rockies earlier this year. There is a sign advertising a new sandwich shop opening in the space where The Original Soup Man was. I don't think that business even made it a year. At least someone else is going to give it a go. The Old Heidelberg Deli is closing. The owner is retiring to Florida. I never went there, but it sounds like it had some dedicated customers who are pissed off that they decided to shut it down rather than sell it. Bancorp Plaza is coming along nicely. If I ever find myself and my camera downtown at the same time, I will take a picture. Newsblab.com recently featured photo's from inside the old Design Center Building where Stratton Pointe will be constructed. I'm guessing Cornerstone is probably nearly finished. It's scheduled to open this summer. Alright... that's it.

The Dirt
Mar 7, 2008, 4:43 AM
Interesting read... Nice to know that at least this kind of stuff comes out and gets published rather than being stuck in some filing cabinet for the next 20 years.

GreatMuta
Mar 18, 2008, 7:05 AM
Liquor stores likely to open on Sundays after July 1
Comments 4 | Recommend 1
By Michael Davidson
March 17, 2008 - 7:47PM
THE GAZETTE

DENVER - House Minority Leader Mike May knows what an emergency is, even if some people don't.

"I know at Sunday afternoon dinner at my house, and suddenly you don't have a decent bottle of wine, there are some angry people. It is an emergency," the Parker Republican said Monday.

That shouldn't be a problem after July 1 when it appears that liquor stores will be allowed to open on Sundays.

The measure was debated on the House floor Monday, and it will go to the governor's desk for approval once it passes a final procedural vote. The Senate has already approved the bill and Gov. Bill Ritter has voiced no opposition.

House leadership said it was a coincidence that the bill was debated on St. Patrick's Day - a day known for carousing - but lawmakers repeatedly joked about the appropriateness. They also testified to their desire to enact the bill quickly.

The bill's prime sponsor, Sen. Jennifer Veiga, D-Denver, initially asked that it take effect Nov. 1, but House sponsor Rep. Cheri Jahn, D-Wheat Ridge, moved the date forward so it would be in effect for the July Fourth weekend.

The move was opposed by Rep. Douglas Bruce, R-Colorado Springs, who asked what emergency would merit changing the date. Lawmakers quickly rejected his proposal to change the effective date back to Nov. 1.

The bill was opposed by some small liquor store owners, who said Sunday was the only day they could take off.

Sunday liquor sales have been banned in Colorado since Prohibition ended in 1933.
:cheers:

Front_Range_Guy
Mar 18, 2008, 1:13 PM
Sounds good to me. Sunday is my Friday. It would be nice to be able to stop at the liquor store after work. This is one of those outdated laws that needs to go.

GreatMuta
Mar 18, 2008, 11:09 PM
Sounds good to me too. :cheers: There's been many times I've wanted to go pick up some stuff on Sundays. I didn't even know they were talking about doing this. :jester:

Front_Range_Guy
Mar 21, 2008, 1:26 PM
A little south side news.

If the rendering is true to life, this is going to be one FUGLY (http://csbj.com/story.cfm?ID=19707)suburban office park.

*BUMP* :rolleyes:

Front_Range_Guy
Mar 24, 2008, 4:34 PM
Newsblab.com (http://www.newsblab.com/) has photos of Tejon Street being shut down and a large object being lifted onto the roof of the Plaza of the Rockies North Tower. They are moderately interesting. Right now you have to scroll down to the bottom of the page... but later today you'll probably have to click the "previous stories" link to view them.

I would assume some signage is going up on the north tower. Over the past couple of months Nor'wood has managed to get signage up on the south tower (Booz Allen Hamilton) and on the Alamo building across the street (Compass Bank.) In a weird way, it does help the skyline out at night a little bit.

pablosan
Mar 24, 2008, 4:52 PM
Signage does help at night, if done right.

GreatMuta
Mar 25, 2008, 4:43 AM
That's funny because I was just thinking about this a few days ago when I was looking at the newest signage (compass bank). I think it really does help a lot at night. The skyline has been too dark at night for years and this is a good change. Now if they would only keep the blue light on at night on top of the Wells Fargo building. Wells Fargo looks so much better lit up at night but they only keep it on from like 7:30 pm until 10:30 pm. :koko:

GreatMuta
Mar 26, 2008, 5:10 AM
There was two drive-by shootings a couple hours ago in Colorado Springs.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/police_34618___article.html/sokolik_wahsatch.html

Front_Range_Guy
Mar 26, 2008, 6:20 AM
That's funny because I was just thinking about this a few days ago when I was looking at the newest signage (compass bank). I think it really does help a lot at night. The skyline has been too dark at night for years and this is a good change. Now if they would only keep the blue light on at night on top of the Wells Fargo building. Wells Fargo looks so much better lit up at night but they only keep it on from like 7:30 pm until 10:30 pm. :koko:

Yeah... and really it's only been in the last year that the large, bright signs were put up on the 1st Bank Building. Before that, there were nights where you wouldn't have even known there was a building there.

Front_Range_Guy
Mar 28, 2008, 8:49 PM
from gazette.com

Much needed good news for downtown if true.

City, USOC close to agreement
By RICH LADEN and BRIAN GOMEZ
THE GAZETTE

An agreement that would keep the U.S. Olympic Committee headquartered in Colorado Springs is close to being finalized by city and USOC officials, and the Springs City Council plans to hold a special meeting Monday to formalize the deal, The Gazette has learned.

The meeting will take place at 12:45 p.m. in council chambers, and the topic will be the "United States Olympic Proposal," Sue Skiffington-Blumberg, the city's public communications director, said this morning.

In advance of Monday's meeting, city officials are expected to release documents that will outline their proposal to keep the USOC in the Springs, where it's been headquartered since 1978.

A source familiar with the discussions between the city, the USOC and private developer LandCo Equity Partners told The Gazette that city officials are prepared to approve an agreement that would bring the USOC headquarters to the proposed Stratton Pointe office building at Colorado Avenue and Tejon Street in downtown Colorado Springs.

That agreement would include millions of dollars worth of financial incentives for the USOC's new downtown offices, as well a major redevelopment of the Olympic Training Center in the Springs. The USOC's offices and the OTC currently are located on a 34-acre campus at Boulder Street and Union Boulevard in the center of town.

Whether the USOC has yet accepted the city's offer isn't clear. The USOC's board of directors, along with members of USOC management, met Thursday night via a conference call, USOC spokesman Darryl Seibel said this morning.
"We discussed the proposals and options that are before us, but the board did not formally accept a proposal, nor was it asked to do so (by USOC management)," Seibel said.

And yet, the USOC board's approval is expected to follow immediately after council members formally approve the deal Monday, the source familiar with the discussions told The Gazette.

An additional article at KRDO.COM (http://www.krdo.com/global/story.asp?s=8084858) goes into greater detail about the specifics of the package.

Even more interesting tidbits in this Indy article.
(http://www.csindy.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A24202)

Top Of The Park
Mar 28, 2008, 9:49 PM
I hope we can keep the headquarters here. Chicago acted like it was a foregone conclusion that they had it in their hip pocket.

Front_Range_Guy
Mar 29, 2008, 7:23 AM
Take a look at this. (http://www.newsblab.com/)

Top Of The Park
Mar 29, 2008, 8:08 AM
Take a look at this. (http://www.newsblab.com/)

Intersting sheet...I saved it to my bookmarks. Thanks

Front_Range_Guy
Mar 29, 2008, 3:24 PM
Intersting sheet...I saved it to my bookmarks. Thanks

Yeah. The guy who runs it actually does a pretty good job. I think he lurks here, actually...

If you click the link now, you'll have to scroll down some to see the render of Stratton Pointe with Olympic rings on it.

Front_Range_Guy
Mar 29, 2008, 3:30 PM
From what I've read, USOC would fully occupy and take ownership of the building. LandCo already had the building pretty well leased, which bodes well for their chances at finding tenents to fill the rest of their downtown property's. The deal also fills up the old gas building by ATB Park... having all of these new jobs downtown is bound to be good for the housing situation downtown as well... at very least increasing the occupancy rates of existing lofts that are on the market, if not increasing the chances that Cooper Tower will actually be built.

Now lets hope we don't all get a nasty dose of reality on Monday. In Colorado Springs, we're always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Doug Bruce isn't happy.

Royboy
Mar 30, 2008, 10:18 PM
Ok, let's give the mayor, the city council, and yes....the developer some credit here. PLEASE e-mail the mayor and support this ASAP....he will certainly take some heat for this. In spite of that, this is a great day for our city and the future of downtown Colorado Springs. I am pretty sure that the mayor put all of his eggs in the downtown site and turned away a SURE THING at Interquest..... For all of his faults, he does deserve credit for making downtown a priority in this situation.