PDA

View Full Version : The Official PEI Project Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

ErickMontreal
Feb 26, 2009, 5:55 PM
With all those projects, Charlottetown will overcome Moncton in term of height, I mean nothing more than 8-story (Blue Cross) has been proposed and built in Moncton since the last 20 years.

Great job Charlottetown !

braymondg
Mar 6, 2009, 3:35 PM
Grafton underground tunnel closer to reality

Charlottetown is one step closer to having an underground pedway running under Grafton Street.
A public meeting on the project was held Wednesday night, phase one in the approval process for the Grafton Street Pedestrian Concourse.
The $2-million tunnel would be built under Grafton Street, linking the Confederation Court Mall and Confederation Centre. Developer Homburg Investments also plans to use elevators and escalators to make the underground link fully accessible.
Cliff Campbell of Homburg said the tunnel would help sell Charlottetown as a conference destination.
Heritage activist Catherine Hennessey was one of the residents offering comments on the project. She said sending people underground would take away from the character of the city.
"I really do believe it's time we looked at our city in a different way and enriched the ambiance of downtown and stopped hiding in tunnels," said Hennessey.
Next, the planning board will make a decision on the project. If the recommendation is to proceed, it will go to city council for final approval.
Construction could be completed by early next year.

:tup:

MonctonRad
Mar 6, 2009, 4:40 PM
:previous:

Personally, in January or February I wouldn't mind "hiding in a tunnel". :jester:

Jringe01
Mar 9, 2009, 6:42 AM
I loved reading about all the new devlopment in Charlottetown. Although I've never been there it sure seems like an interesting city to visit

It just goes to show that even with the overall economy in a slump, business doesn't just come to a screeching halt. Eventually companies will have to start competing again in order to survive and when they do we'll be on our way back up.

Is there any word on the redevlopment of the waterfront mall in Summerside?

braymondg
Mar 9, 2009, 1:52 PM
Jringe01, There hasn't been anything said about the Waterfront Mall
for a very long time. I've seen reports on TV about making the Mall more vibrant to attract tenants but nothing on the expansion. I think the expansion project has either been put on hold or even scraped for that matter. If I hear anything we'll let you know.

And yes, Charlottetown is a nice place to live and visit. It just needs to do something about the empty businesses downtown but that will come as the city takes steps to force the landlords to do something. I don't mean to imply that this is a major problem but it's where these vacant buildings are located. Right in the middle of downtown, where major new construction is taking place right now. If these empty properties were elsewhere, there probably be nothing much said about them. But when a developer comes along and wants to spend $50million on buildings, alot will be said and has been.

braymondg
Mar 10, 2009, 1:19 PM
Charlottetown City Council has voted in favour of building a pedway under Grafton Street linking the Confederation Court Mall and the Confederation Centre of the Arts.
There was little opposition to the plan during a public meeting last week, so councillors voted Monday night to support the $2 million tunnel project.
Mall owners Homburg, the company behind the project, said it would increase the number of conferences coming to the city......

braymondg
Mar 10, 2009, 2:24 PM
City rejects Condo Development
Request to build 22-unit condominium at 41 and 49-51 Richmond Street with the following variances:
Increase permitted density by 22 % from 18 units to 22;
Increase in height from 39.1 ft. (12 metres) up to 58 ft. (17.8 metres);
Reduce front yard setback on Rochford Street from 7.7 feet (2.3 metres) to 0;
Reduction in rear yard setback from 19.7 ft (6.0 metres) to 0;
Increase flankage yard setback on Richmond Street from 0 to 20 ft. (6 metres);
Consolidate lots.
REJECTED

------------------------------------

The condo development is coming fast and furious. Developers are realizing how nice a setting Charlottetown and it's harbour has. This is one in many attempts to develop condos in the downtown area in the past year. They have to have balance and not reject everything because the primary objective is to revitalize the downtown by having people live there.
To bad but they saw it not fit for this one. I think it may have been the setback which would mean being very close to single residences in the area.

Cheers
:(

jmweb
Mar 11, 2009, 4:55 AM
I typically follow the development going on in Charlottetown, here's a shot I took of the one on Fitzroy st that I blogged about a while ago...
http://john.morriscode.ca/images/downtown-revitilization.jpg

MonctonRad
Mar 11, 2009, 1:09 PM
It seems that Charlottetown may be the most active city in the Maritimes right now in terms of downtown development projects.

BTW, welcome jmweb, it's good to have some increased interest in SSP from the Island.

Jringe01
Mar 12, 2009, 5:45 AM
City rejects Condo Development
Request to build 22-unit condominium at 41 and 49-51 Richmond Street with the following variances:
Increase permitted density by 22 % from 18 units to 22;
Increase in height from 39.1 ft. (12 metres) up to 58 ft. (17.8 metres);
Reduce front yard setback on Rochford Street from 7.7 feet (2.3 metres) to 0;
Reduction in rear yard setback from 19.7 ft (6.0 metres) to 0;
Increase flankage yard setback on Richmond Street from 0 to 20 ft. (6 metres);
Consolidate lots.
REJECTED

------------------------------------

The condo development is coming fast and furious. Developers are realizing how nice a setting Charlottetown and it's harbour has. This is one in many attempts to develop condos in the downtown area in the past year. They have to have balance and not reject everything because the primary objective is to revitalize the downtown by having people live there.
To bad but they saw it not fit for this one. I think it may have been the setback which would mean being very close to single residences in the area.

Cheers
:(

Geeze... :( That's too bad. I hope the devloper comes back with another proposal.

braymondg
Mar 14, 2009, 2:07 PM
Jringe01, Apparently O'Halleron developers are doing just that, going back to the drawing board.

More to follow on that I'm sure.

braymondg
Mar 14, 2009, 2:10 PM
New convention centre on the Charlottetown waterfront

The provincial government is said to be in negotiations with Ottawa to build a convention centre on Lower Queen Street, across from the Delta Prince Edward.
The proposal, The Guardian learned last April, would see a 25,000 square foot convention centre built on land that now houses the Canadian Coast Guard and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.
Charlottetown Mayor Clifford Lee says he fully supports the construction of a convention centre. He said it would be a tremendous asset to the city and the province.

More on that.....

braymondg
Mar 14, 2009, 2:19 PM
Here is the latest on the Fitzroy St. Building..

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/fitzroy6.jpg

MonctonRad
Mar 14, 2009, 9:25 PM
New convention centre on the Charlottetown waterfront

The provincial government is said to be in negotiations with Ottawa to build a convention centre on Lower Queen Street, across from the Delta Prince Edward.
The proposal, The Guardian learned last April, would see a 25,000 square foot convention centre built on land that now houses the Canadian Coast Guard and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.
Charlottetown Mayor Clifford Lee says he fully supports the construction of a convention centre. He said it would be a tremendous asset to the city and the province.

More on that.....

What would happen to the Coast Guard Base? I'd hate to see it leave the city. There is a need for a Coast Guard presence in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

braymondg
Mar 16, 2009, 12:40 PM
Hi MonctonRad,

RE: New convention centre on the Charlottetown waterfront

Here is the full article which appeared in The Guardian newspaper
Sat, March 14th.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.cfm?sid=231730&sc=98

Cheers

MonctonRad
Mar 16, 2009, 1:36 PM
Thanks braymondg.

I must admit that I am a little dubious about this. I have always been fond of the CCG base on the waterfront. If it were to move, there wouldn't be much left of any form of a working waterfront in the city. Sure, there would be the odd potato boat, tanker and cruise ship but I think the overall character of the waterfront would be significantly impacted by this move.

I also am not sure about the need for a new convention facility for Charlottetown. It seems to me that the current facilities at the Delta hotel are large enough for most small to medium sized conventions. I imagine most larger conventions would bypass Charlottetown in any event. Logistical concerns over travel access to Charlottetown would be significant for a lot of convention planners. There are not that many flights into the Charlottetown Airport. This would tend to limit the marketability of PEI to most major convention business.

I think this is a bad idea.

kwajo
Mar 16, 2009, 1:41 PM
What would happen to the Coast Guard Base? I'd hate to see it leave the city. There is a need for a Coast Guard presence in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
You'd think it would be a good idea to have a Coast Guard base on the Bay of Fundy as well, but they're closing the one in Saint John too. Budget cuts strike again...

caveat.doctor
Mar 29, 2009, 11:49 PM
Fitzroy St as of yesterday 28 Mar:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3424/3396177901_cc474bfaeb_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3571/3396179507_3a78a3fb03_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3467/3396179113_64ac36c476_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3623/3396178321_a4a488fbd5_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3541/3396989660_2d60070c20_o.jpg

Looks like a neat project, instead of a flat slab they've put some effort into the facade. Kind of a neat streetscape, with the steel and solar panels of the government building, the triangular plaza, the new red brick and glass of this office building, and the Victorians that've been there all along. If they could fill in that carpark behind the Blood Donor Centre it would be even better!

Pretty sleek, that steel and solar panel set up:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3566/3396179971_fc2908a785_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3628/3396991158_2c3f7c3310_o.jpg

MonctonRad
Mar 30, 2009, 3:48 AM
This new Homburg building as well as the Jean Camfield Building and the PEI Technology Centre across the street are all very architecturally interesting buildings. Way to go Charlottetown!

braymondg
Apr 21, 2009, 5:35 PM
Convention centre moves closer to reality for city's waterfront
The Guardian

Plans for a multimillion-dollar convention centre on the Charlottetown waterfront have moved a step closer to reality.
Sheridan confirms the P.E.I. government has set aside $17 million of its own money for the convention centre. The province hopes that project will be cost-shared by the federal and municipal governments, which means the convention centre could carry a price tag of as much as $50 million.
The provincial government is said to be in negotiations with Ottawa to build the convention centre on Lower Queen Street, across from the Delta Prince Edward.
Sheridan confirmed the province wants to build the convention centre on the Charlottetown waterfront.
The proposal, The Guardian learned last April, would see a 25,000-square-foot convention centre built on land that now houses the Canadian Coast Guard and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.
“We’re now in discussions with the federal government with regards to a tourism and convention centre here in Prince Edward Island,” Premier Robert Ghiz said Thursday.

braymondg
Apr 21, 2009, 5:40 PM
Charlottetown waterfront condo project a go.

N.L. developer reaches deal with Charlottetown on waterfront condo project: A St. John’s, N.L., developer has reached a compromise with the City of Charlottetown to proceed with plans for a condominium/spa project on the waterfront. Council gave unanimous support at its regular monthly meeting this week for a project that will measure 40,000 square feet between the water and Founders’ Hall. “It’s going ahead and we finally came to a compromise. We’ve got a nice building design for the site,’’ Paul Madden, the developer behind the project, said. Council had rejected Madden’s proposal in December when the project called for an 81,000-square foot building. Madden’s project originally called for two buildings with a footprint of 12,000 square feet but measuring 81,000 square feet in total. Coun. Mitchell Tweel said he’s glad Madden was willing to come back with a new proposal. Madden expects to begin construction in June and be ready a year from then.

braymondg
Apr 21, 2009, 6:29 PM
Old Holmans Facade being Removed for New Hotel in Charlottetown.

Hi everyone,

Here is a photo out of todays paper of workers removing the slate facade off the old Holmans building. That building has been like this for decades. If you notice, look closely and you can see the beautiful stone work underneath
that old facade. I believe it's NS granite, similar to that on Province House. Now I could be wrong, and it could be Island stone but it's hard to tell because it is discoloured because of age and the elements.
I drove by today and even more is exposed and I thought how could anyone cover up such nice stone work. I'm glad to see that they are going to use the old facade as it will match the streetscape.
http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/facade.jpg

More to follow

Dmajackson
May 6, 2009, 1:45 AM
Sorry if this is outdated or double-posted but I found these renderings of the Confederation Court Mall tower (all from WHW Architects) (http://www.whwarchitects.com/projects/residential/confed_court_mall/main.html):

http://www.whwarchitects.com/projects/residential/confed_court_mall/1.jpg

http://www.whwarchitects.com/projects/residential/confed_court_mall/2.jpg

http://www.whwarchitects.com/projects/residential/confed_court_mall/3.jpg

http://www.whwarchitects.com/projects/residential/confed_court_mall/4.jpg

BTW what's the status on this project?

MonctonRad
May 6, 2009, 3:09 AM

Yup, not quite right........this rendering shows where the hotel was supposed to go, on a vacant lot on Queen Street, adjacent to the mall proper. I believe that the landowner of the lot became greedy so the developer (Homburg)elected to build the hotel on Grafton Street instead, incorporating the building into the old Holman's structure.

I personally think the hotel would have gone better in this location.......oh well.

Dmajackson
May 6, 2009, 1:29 PM
^^^

Ah okay thats what I was thinking might of happened. The site had some new and old renderings up so I wasn't sure on these ones. It's still nice to see what could of been so we can learn from such a silly mistake as being to greedy.

BTW the link for the photo credits has some other PEI projects on it (mainly Summerside and Charlottetown).

josh_cat_eyes
May 10, 2009, 4:41 PM
The "Gordie's Irving" in Summerside was recently branded as Circle K. The first Irving I have seen do that. I guess they are rebranding all Irving Mainway and Irving Blue Canoe in Atlantic Canada as Circle K.

theshark
May 11, 2009, 3:13 PM
Couche Tard(the parent company of Circle K) manages all the old Irving convenience store in Quebec and they are doing the same in the maritimes under the Cirlce K Brand

mylesmalley
May 11, 2009, 4:01 PM
I don't think they sold control of the Big Stop restaurants though, did they?

kirjtc2
May 11, 2009, 7:05 PM
No....Irving still runs the restaurants. I think the convenience store portions will still become Circle K, but I'm not sure.

Irving receipts now have the Circle K logo on them, but the signs haven't gone up in Fredericton yet. Surprised Couche-Tard chose the Circle K banner and not Mac's, which they use in Ontario and the west.

mylesmalley
May 11, 2009, 7:54 PM
now if only they'd start stocking beer...

josh_cat_eyes
May 12, 2009, 2:29 AM
I just seen a new condo project in Summerside by Bayside Builders, who also built Harbor Terence in the former Journal Pioneer building, as well as the Suites on St. Stephen. Its called the Lofts. I seen the sign for it on the old Co-op farmers store across from the shipyard market. They appear to be fixing that build, which I hope is not where the condos are going. I couldn't find any more info, but if I do, I'll post it.

mylesmalley
May 14, 2009, 10:12 AM
Ont. company proposes $100M wind farm near Kinkora, P.E.I.
Published Thursday May 14th, 2009

A2

KINKORA, P.E.I. - An Ontario-based company is proposing to erect a $100-million wind farm. Prowind Canada Inc. has plans for a 50-megawatt, 25-turbine wind farm west of Kinkora, on farmland in Middleton.

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/666877

josh_cat_eyes
May 20, 2009, 2:20 AM
I just seen at the County Fair Mall in Summerside today, a sign advertising a Quizno's coming soon. It would be in spot 143 on the map.
http://www.crombiereit.com/uploaded/County%20Fair%20PEI%20fp.jpg

This is interesting, because when I think about it, the mall is the ONLY place in the city that a business could open. All the plazas and strip malls uptown are full. This begs the question, where the next one will be?

Also found some info on the new condo project: http://359water.blogspot.com/

MTLskyline
May 23, 2009, 4:49 AM
Just returned home from a trip to PEI and I have to say that the city appears to be booming! I'm particularly impressed with the proposed hotel over the Confederation Court Mall.

As well, the U/C Fitzroy office building can be seen for miles away (I could see it from Rocky Point).

braymondg
May 26, 2009, 2:27 AM
Stratford Towers Project Underway?

I was over to Stratford and I could see a lot of activity has started in the
vicinity of the proposed Stratford Towers Condo development.
Can anyone back this up?

Here is a rendering of the project
http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/stratfordtower.jpg
BG

josh_cat_eyes
May 31, 2009, 3:12 PM
This is the new condo project I was talking about. I have yet to see floor plans or any such thing.

Former feed building gets new lease on life
NANCY MACPHEE
The Journal Pioneer

SUMMERSIDE – The building may not be much to look at now.
But that will change this fall when the former west-end warehouse’s transformation into a million-dollar multi-unit condominium complex is complete.
Peter Brown and Mike Fraser are converting the old Co-op feed building at 359 Water St. into mid-scale condos and commercial space.
“We saw some value in adaptive reuse of the building,” said Brown.
The building’s been vacant Atlantic Co-op Country Store’s closure in July 2008.
The condo project received approval in April from the city’s planning board.
Since, the developers have stripped the structure to its “bones”.
The timber-framed two-and-a-half-storey building on the east corner of Water and Cedar streets is structurally sound, built around 1870 by local shipbuilders.
“We took off all of the additions that went up over the years,” said Brown. “We are going to retain in the interior, as much as we can, any of the exposed beams.”
The foundation, built to commercial standards in 1949, is also solid, he added.
Brown’s been involved with two other city condo projects.
Harbour Terrace, above the Journal Pioneer, was his first project and was more “upscale high-end” — in the $300,000 to $400,000 range per unit. The Suites on St. Stephen, across Second Street from Valu-foods, houses “entry-level” condos, at around $120,000 and up.
The Lofts at 359 Water is somewhere in between.
“We’re the only developers doing condominiums in Summerside. We have to provide a mid-range product, both in size and in price point,” said Brown. He sees the potential tenants as those in their 50s to early 60s.
“We see it as much more attractive to the local market who is ready to get rid of their house and the maintenance.”
At Harbour Terrace, four units are for sale while at Suites on St. Stephen, six units of the 12 units
have sold and two have offers pending.
Each 1,500-square-foot condo at Lofts of 359 Water starts at around $200,000.
When complete, the building will almost double in size to 7,500 square feet.
“We’ll be adding four dormers to the west. Then there will be a four-bay garage to the north,” explained Brown.
A single-bay garage will be added on the southeast section of the complex.
On the east, patios will face downtown with the front facing west.
The complex’s main floor will consist of residential and potential commercial space while the basement and top floor will house condos. In total, five condo units will be constructed.
It will include a geothermal heating system with compressors in each unit.
Already there’s interest in residential and commercial space.

Fire-ravaged diner to be rebuilt
Maid Marion’s to reopen Charlottetown restaurant, open Summerside location
DAVE STEWART
Transcontinental Media

A few months from now talk of the fire that destroyed a popular Charlottetown restaurant will give way to questions about the daily special.
Plans are already underway to rebuild Maid Marian’s Diner and the Sherwood Drug Mart following a devastating fire which gutted both businesses last week.
The investigation into what caused the fire is still ongoing.
Winston Bryan, the city’s fire inspector, said Thursday nothing has been ruled out and that they’re not certain when the investigation is going to be completed. He said exhibits have been sent to the RCMP crime lab for analysis.
Meanwhile, the owners of the diner are planning ahead.
“There will be a proposal for the two buildings,” Wendy Walker, co-owner of the restaurant with her husband, Peter, said Thursday. “When they’re done of their investigation they’ll be bulldozing the two places and I think they will be starting (construction) soon thereafter.”
Walker said they hope to reopen the restaurant in September or October. But Islanders won’t have to wait that long if they’re craving food off the Maid Marian’s Diner menu.
Mark McKenna, a friend of the Walker family, is getting set to open a Maid Marian’s Diner location in Summerside, in the same building which used to house Smitty’s. That restaurant, featuring the same name and same menu, should be ready to open in a few weeks.
Walker said when the Charlottetown location reopens, it will feature the same look but more seating.
Both the restaurant and drug store will be set back further on Brackley Point Road to create more room for parking.
She said most of the 42 employees at Maid Marian’s Diner have found work for the summer but plan on coming back when the restaurant reopens.
The Walkers were at their cottage in York when one of the waitresses called to say there was a fire. The restaurant owners got in their car and got to the scene as quickly as they could but weren’t prepared for what they saw.
She said they could see the black smoke rising into the sky from the North River Causeway. Twenty minutes after they got the call at their cottage, the fire was out of control and neither of the buildings could be saved.
“When we pulled down the street, it was like ‘Oh, my God’.”
“It was devastating, to say the least. I mean, you work 22 years and it’s gone in two hours. It started with 28 seats and over the years you’ve built it up to 110.”
In the immediate aftermath of the fire, the Walkers thought briefly that the fire was a sign that the diner was done for good. Then came the public reaction.
“Just look at the outpouring from people. We can’t close this place,” Wendy said.

braymondg
Jun 5, 2009, 2:30 AM
Holland College receives $17 million to build Centre for Applied Science and Technology
Thursday, June 4, 2009

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/hcast.jpg

Charlottetown, PE - Holland College will receive a total of $17 million, $8.5 million from the Knowledge Infrastructure Program (KIP), matched by $8.5 million from the Province, Minister of Industry Tony Clement and Premier Robert Ghiz jointly announced this morning. The funding will be used to improve program offerings, research, and collaboration capability in the area of science and technology through the construction of the new Centre for Applied Science and Technology at the Charlottetown Centre campus.

The centre will consist of a basement and three floors, totaling 55,300 square feet. Construction at the Charlottetown Centre site will begin as soon as the appropriate permits have been approved, and is expected to begin this summer. The new Centre for Applied Science and Technology will open in early 2011.

The growing science and technology cluster on PEI is quickly becoming a significant contributor to the Island economy, and is already demanding a job-ready, qualified workforce. The Center for Applied Science and Technology will provide the necessary infrastructure, teaching and research environment to build on the college's ability to provide hands-on training in applied technology that will help maintain the accelerated growth of the science and technology cluster in PEI.

The new centre will enable the college to double student intake in the Bioscience Technology, Environmental Applied Science Technology, and Wildlife Conservation Technology programs, as well as to increase intakes in Practical Nursing, and Paramedicine, and establish new programs in Heritage Retrofit and Renewable Energy Technology. In total, the expansion of facilities through today's announcement will enable 280 additional students per year to access even greater opportunities for advanced skills development.

MonctonRad
Jun 5, 2009, 3:56 AM

Great stuff! Charlottetown is really hopping.

Where on the Holland College campus will this be built?

braymondg
Jun 7, 2009, 1:30 AM
MonctonRad,

Either across Grafton St from the Glendenning residence or in the Kent St parking lot across from Montgomery Hall. They really didn't make that clear.
More to follow on that.

braymondg
Jun 7, 2009, 1:33 AM
:tup: Business to get shot in arm with BioCommons Park
TERESA WRIGHT
The Guardian

The P.E.I. government has confirmed it will soon break ground on the long-awaited $30-million BioCommons Research Park.
As part of Thursday’s slew of infrastructure announcements, just under $3 million in funding from the federal and provincial governments was dedicated for the BioCommons Park.
This is not nearly enough to finish the project, but enough to get it started. On Friday, government officials told The Guardian construction on the park will soon be getting underway, with further details to be announced soon.
The big question mark has been the location — as of now, no one is quite sure where it will go. It is widely expected the park will be located near UPEI.
But details about this megaproject have been delayed for many months. Government has long been promising to release details of the project since it was first announced last year.
Treasurer Wes Sheridan recently said in his budget address the location would be announced during the spring sitting of the legislature, but that did not happen.
Premier Robert Ghiz was unavailable for comment Friday, but he did say in the legislature recently the delay has been in trying to strike a deal to purchase the land.
“We’re ready to make our announcement,” Ghiz said last month in the legislature.
“We’re in the process of finalizing a land acquisition right now.”
Officials in the premier’s office told The Guardian Friday final negotiations are almost complete and a detailed announcement on the plans, finances and work schedule will be announced “in the near future.”
Initially announced as a cornerstone of its ‘Island Prosperity Strategy,’ government has described the BioCommons as the Slemon Park of the bioscience sector, acting as an anchor for the research and business hub.
Plans for the facility indicated it would provide turnkey incubation facilities for private-sector firms wanting to commercialize their ideas.
Ghiz said there are currently 27 bioscience companies in the province employing over 1,000 people.
Once the BioCommons finally breaks ground, the number of job opportunities is expected to rise. It is expected to make up for the capital city’s loss of over 150 jobs through the relocation of the Department of Education to Summerside and the Department of Fisheries to Montague.
“I believe (the BioCommons) will add numerous jobs to our bioscience sector here in the province of Prince Edward Island over the next number of years so that we can create long-term sustainable year-round jobs here,” Ghiz said in the legislature.

braymondg
Jun 7, 2009, 2:05 AM
http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/fitzroy11.jpg

Fitzroy St. facing towards the corner of University and Fitzroy Street.

Note the brown building on the corner. Formerly the old Playhouse, now a new
Irish pub called The Triangle. My wife and I were there yesterday and it's completely renovated and a very nice spot. I took these two shots last evening with my cell phone.

I can't believe the construction here in Charlottetown. It just keeps coming, almost a new thing everyday.

MonctonRad
Jun 7, 2009, 2:26 AM

Is that the Old Triangle? They have locations in both Moncton and Halifax. Of course it could be Triangles......but that's the gay bar here in Moncton. :haha: :haha: :haha:

braymondg
Jun 8, 2009, 12:37 PM
MonctonRad,

Sorry, "THE OLD TRIANGLE". It's part of a chain I guess but from an architectural perspective, I'm glad to see that building fixed up so nice to blend in with the new buildings around it.

Dmajackson
Jun 8, 2009, 7:24 PM
MonctonRad,

Sorry, "THE OLD TRIANGLE". It's part of a chain I guess but from an architectural perspective, I'm glad to see that building fixed up so nice to blend in with the new buildings around it.

There's a gorgeous Old Triangle here in Hali in one of the rebuilt heritage buildings on Bedford Row.

Fitsroy is looking good :tup:

jmweb
Jun 16, 2009, 3:18 AM
Yes, lots of things are finally happening here.

braymondg
Jun 23, 2009, 1:25 AM
Here are a couple of photos ,

Fitzroy St building, Coming along nicely.

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/fitzroy14.jpg

And the Hotel on Grafton St. Demolition has begun and the careful removal of the old stone facade.

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/grafton1.jpg

braymondg
Jul 9, 2009, 2:28 PM
No towers for Stratford :(

NATHAN ROCHFORD
The Guardian
http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/stratfordtower.jpg

Poor economic conditions have been blamed for a delay in the construction of Stratford Towers Condominiums.
With construction slated for a June start date, the $12-million project included four eight-storey towers to be built along the Stratford waterfront and was expected to be completed by fall 2010.
However, because of recent market conditions potential purchasers have decided against selling their existing properties, thus putting a halt on the project.
News of the delay, released in a press release by Stratford Towers Condominiums, came as a shock to Stratford Mayor Kevin Jenkins.
Jenkins said while the town had no financial investment in the project itself it was something council had approved and was looking forward to as part of the town’s plan to build up the waterfront.
“It would be a shame if it didn’t go ahead,” he said Wednesday after Stratford’s monthly meeting. “We’ve invested a substantial amount of time in building up the waterfront and developing it.”
Upon completion, the towers would house units which could be purchased for around $350,000 to $400,000 each, depending on the type. The towers would be the first high-rise residential complexes to be built on P.E.I.

MonctonRad
Jul 9, 2009, 10:46 PM

That's too bad, this would have made a very impressive addition to the skyline as viewed from the Charlottetown waterfront. :(

Perhaps the project will get resurrected after the recession is over........There are also a couple of large condo/apartment projects proposed here in Moncton which seem to be temporarily AWOL. Things may be different in another 12-18 months. :tup:

braymondg
Jul 21, 2009, 1:22 AM
Charlottetown Condo Development Begins

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/condo1.jpg

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/condo2.jpg

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/condo3.jpg

Workers have begun driving steel piles into the ground at this site.
Photos will follow.
What I don't understand is why they cancelled the Stratford Towers project across
the harbour and are going forward with this one. ??.

braymondg
Jul 24, 2009, 2:01 PM
Condo project finally begins

DAVE STEWART
The Guardian
http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/condos.jpg

It’s not quite as big as he wanted but Newfoundland and Labrador developer Paul Madden says he is happy his condominium project on Charlottetown’s waterfront is finally underway.
“We’re under construction,’’ Madden said in a telephone interview this week from St. John’s. “I’m glad it’s going ahead.’’
Madden went to the City of Charlottetown last year with a proposal to erect two buildings with a footprint of 12,000 square feet — measuring 81,000 square feet in total. Council rejected that idea, pointing out it approved in April 2006 rules for that exact location at the bottom of Prince Street that called for one 36,000-square-foot building.
Madden went back to the drawing board and complied.
It won’t be the 53 units he had planned. It will now come in at 21 units, featuring amenities such as a 5,000-square-foot spa and indoor parking.
He expects to have people living in the building by next May or June. Bill Chandler is the architect on the project, while Highfield Construction is handling the actual construction.
In a bit of a twist, the failure of the Stratford Towers project to go ahead might just benefit Madden.
Madden said the building will be heated with the help of P.E.I. Energy Systems, the site formerly known as the Trigen/Energy From Waste plant, and that could affect condo prices.

------

MonctonRad
Jul 24, 2009, 7:00 PM

I'm a little ticked that city council insisted that the project be downsized. That truly is thinking small. Charlottetown can do better than that.

By indoor parking, I presume they mean underground. They had better make sure the parking garage is completely waterproofed! The storm tides down there can get pretty high.........

braymondg
Jul 27, 2009, 4:58 PM
I'm disappointed they didn't go with a taller building. Apparently the city council had a lot of flak from the residences in the area. But yet,
they give the ok for Homburg to build a 10 floor building.
I was reading the Halifax thread and they can also get ther fair share of grief over there from a bunch of anti high rise/heritage misfits. If they live downtown one can expect developments like this. :koko:
They should have ok'ed the Stratford Towers on the Charlottetown side. HAHA!! Imagine the crying then.
These low level condo buildings prove no good for sales. The Northtumberland Condos on Pownal St is 5 stories and can barely see over the trees. They are having trouble selling those. If they would have allowed 12 stories, that would guarantee most with a commanding view of the harbour and city. Views sell, just look at Vancouver.

braymondg
Jul 31, 2009, 7:08 PM
Holland College announces ambitious $40-million expansion

The Guardian

Holland College has announced a $40-million plan that will transform the east end of Charlottetown.

Three new buildings will be constructed on a parcel of land adjacent to its existing Charlottetown centre. The province already announced plans for the Centre for Applied Science and Technology. Next to that will be the Centre for Community Engagement and a major expansion to Glendenning Hall, Holland College's residence. (See map below for details on where each building will be located.)

Premier Robert Ghiz and Holland College president Brian McMillan unveiled the plans today at a news conference.

The older wings of the Charlottetown Centre will also be renovated.

The province committed $8.5 million for the first phase of the expansion announced in early June which includes the construction of a $17 million Applied Science and Technology Centre for Holland College. It has now upped its contribution to $20-million, which Holland College hopes to match to make the $40-million project a reality.

Construction will begin as soon as the plan received the green light from the City of Charlottetown. But it will take two to four years to complete the entire plan.

Ghiz said the provincial government is proud to partner with Holland College to improve training and educational opportunities for Islanders.

“Our support for the expansion of Holland College reflects a strong commitment by government to strengthening post-secondary education on Prince Edward Island,” said Ghiz.

“This investment in the future growth of Holland College will mean new facilities and increased training capacity that will benefit all of Prince Edward Island for generations to come.”

“Holland College and the Government of Prince Edward Island have been strong educational and economic development partners for many years, working together to provide education and training to thousands of Islanders,” said McMillan.

“The new facilities and renovations included in the Campus Development Plan are absolutely vital to the College’s ability to ensure our students have access to new technologies delivered in state of the art facilities. The college is tremendously grateful for the support the government is showing in the work that we do.”

Allan Campbell, minister of Innovation and Advanced Learning, said government has been working closely with Holland College to develop programming that reflects the needs of the labour market.

“Government has been working successfully with Holland College to develop training programs that will prepare Islanders for the jobs that exist in today’s labour market,” said Campbell.

“Investing in post-secondary education is a key component of our economic strategy. We are working to ensure that all Islanders have the training and education they need to take advantage of the opportunities in today’s economy.”

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/college.jpg

MonctonRad
Jul 31, 2009, 8:57 PM

Great stuff........$40M is a huge amount of money for a province of only 140,000 people. This will double the size of Holland College and give the place a real "university campus" feel. It will probably be the finest community college campus in the entire region.

I see from the plans that they will be closing off one block of Cumberland Street. This shouldn't affect traffic flow too much as that section of the city is pretty quiet anyway.

MonctonRad
Aug 2, 2009, 2:56 PM
Here is the CBC.ca article on the Holland College expansion......

Holland College expansion to transform campus

A $40-million expansion of the Charlottetown campus of Holland College will transform two city blocks and accommodate hundreds of new students.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2009/07/31/pe-holland-college-green.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2009/07/31/pe-tp-holland-college-plans.jpg

"Today represents an historic date in the life of this great college," college president Brian MacMillan said at the announcement Friday.

"This development plan is absolutely vital to the college's ability to respond to industry's increasing demand for training and innovation."

The changes include improvements to the Weymouth Street entrance and a major building on the block contained by Grafton, Kent, Weymouth and Edward streets.

A new science and technology centre has already been announced for this block. Announced Friday was an expansion to the campus residence and a Centre for Community Engagement, which will include the college's first full-size gymnasium.

"Our students will be able to use the recreational space in this new centre, to host maybe children or youth from the community, and we could run programs," said MacMillan.

"That would be a nice way for them to get their training skills but also allow us to give something back to the community."

The basketball team is also excited about the new gym.

"They'll have a place on campus that they can call their own. Probably make it a little easier for fans to attend," said Holland College Hurricanes coach George Morrison.

The new buildings and green space will go on what is now a parking lot, and about a dozen homes will be moved. But there are no major complaints from the residents. Mark Brown feels the $100,000 he got for his two-bedroom house was more than fair.

"Like a lottery win I guess. It was pretty exciting for everybody in the neighbourhood," said Brown.

The province is picking up $28.5 million of the $40-million cost. The rest will be raised from corporations, foundations and other levels of government.

Holland College turned away more than 800 applicants last year, and not because they weren't qualified. It simply lacked the space to take them in. MacMillan said the expansion should accommodate that demand.

If everything goes smoothly at city council for re-zoning the property, the college intends to start construction in September. The expansion should take about two years to complete.

braymondg
Aug 3, 2009, 11:59 AM
Monctonrad,

Nice to see this kind of construction. I'm a graduate of HC and UPEI.
It was my HC schooling that opened the doors for jobs including the one I have now.
There is a concern however. I know several people who work across the street from this and they tell me that the present parking lot they have, it's a hard time finding a place to park as it is. What is it going to be like when that parking lot disappears? Their concerns are warranted. Hopefully there is underground parking in the plan. However, I haven't seen any proposed.
It will all come out during the next City council meeting I'm sure.

MonctonRad
Aug 3, 2009, 2:28 PM
I'm an old UPEI grad too (before heading off to Dalhousie for my 2nd degree).

I'm glad to see the Holland College campus get this attention. I'm old enough to remember when this used to be Prince of Wales College; briefly a degree granting university in it's own right before the forced amalgamation with St. Dunstan's University to create UPEI in 1969. I have often thought that this campus has been somewhat neglected ever since. This injection of new investment into the campus is much needed and I really appreciate that the renderings show that the project will have considerable architectural integrity.

braymondg
Aug 5, 2009, 6:00 PM
Province issues tender for new Stratford school

The province issued a tender today for preliminary work on the new Grades 4 to 6 facility at Glen Stewart Elementary in Stratford.

The plan to build the new facility was announced in June by Premier Robert Ghiz following a recommendation from the Eastern School District.

The 54, 000 square foot facility will have capacity for 420 students and will ease demands for space at Glen Stewart.

“Our goal is to give Island students the best possible education,” says Premier Robert Ghiz. “This new facility will alleviate the pressing need for space, and it will provide an excellent environment for learning.”

The estimated cost of the new school is $8 million. The tender issued today includes site work and foundation construction. A second tender will be issued in early September for the rest of the building. Construction will be completed by the start of the 2010 school year.

“I am pleased to see the initial tendering of this important project,” says Education and Early Childhood Development Minister Gerard Greenan.

“This is an important first step in the construction of this new facility for the Grades 4 to 6 students at Glen Stewart School.”

mylesmalley
Aug 5, 2009, 6:29 PM
IF they were ambitious, they could put a couple levels of underground parking under the entire site, creating ample parking space while maximizing green space.

braymondg
Aug 12, 2009, 1:55 PM
mylesmalley,

Your right on the underground parking but there doesn't seem to any mention of it. I know the employees at Purity Dairy across the street are always having problems finding a place to park. During the summer, some park in the present parking lot but that will soon change.
I just don't know where the new students will park, not unless they enlarge the parking lot across from Glendenning Hall on Grafton St.
It will be interesting to see what city council will have to say and what the locals will have to say about it.

:rolleyes:

braymondg
Aug 12, 2009, 2:05 PM
Passmore/Queen St Townhouses a Go!

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/passmore.jpg

Demolition of the EM Kays building has taken place and construction is
to start this summer.

This is just around the corner from the new Federal Government building and
Invesco/Trimark building. This whole area is being transformed with new building
taking place. :tup:

MonctonRad
Aug 13, 2009, 2:47 AM
I think, pound for pound, that Charlottetown is quietly becoming the most dynamic city in the region in terms of new construction activity (given it's size)! :tup:

braymondg
Aug 13, 2009, 7:15 PM
MonctonRad,

I don't know what is happening elsewhere but If I had to list all of the construction here it would be huge. Everywhere I turn there is something taking place. Never seen the likes.

30 million for BioCenter, 40 million for Holland College, 54 million for Hospital expansions, 45 million for new Hotel, office building, etc., 6 million to widen University Ave to four lanes, 8 million to widen the bypass to 4 lanes,
condos on the waterfront, new convention centre proposed, and then there is all the small things like the townhouse previously mentioned, the list goes on.....
I had a look at the permit applications online and new homes everywhere.
100+ new home starts according to CMHC, It's wild over here.

Great for employment and business.

mylesmalley
Aug 13, 2009, 7:23 PM
If there's any interest from the Islanders on SPP, i can put together one of my project maps for Charlottetown. You can check out the ones I've got for SJ, Moncton and Freddy in my post signature.

MonctonRad
Aug 14, 2009, 1:36 AM
I was just over to Charlottetown today, I see that the Homburg office building on Fitzroy is darn near fully bricked in now, construction is going very fast! Similarly, the demolition of the old Holman's building for the new 10 storey hotel is also progressing quickly. BTW, BRaymondG, do you know what the branding of this hotel (Hilton, Marriott etc.) will be yet?

Also, the new Cows World Headquarters on the North River Causeway went up really fast and is now fully functional. I see that the building is in the shape of a large barn; somehow I'm not surprised. :haha: I guess that Cows took their cue for this project from the Ben & Jerry's World Headquarters in Vermont.

BRaymondG, you should really consider Myles offer of doing an interactive project map for Charlottetown. Check out his existing maps appended to his signature and see what you think. I imagine all he would need to make the map is the location and details of any project in Charlottetown that you think is important enough to be included. You should PM him to see what he needs.

Dmajackson
Aug 14, 2009, 2:24 AM
If there's any interest from the Islanders on SPP, i can put together one of my project maps for Charlottetown. You can check out the ones I've got for SJ, Moncton and Freddy in my post signature.

Lol we never did get the Halifax one online did we? :P

mylesmalley
Aug 14, 2009, 5:32 AM
Lol we never did get the Halifax one online did we? :P

I'm a busy guy, okay? :shrug:

I'll see what i can do for everybody. I've got a long weekend :D

braymondg
Aug 17, 2009, 2:01 PM
MonctonRad,

Not sure on the branding of the new hotel as yet but as soon as I find out I'll let you know.

As for Myles interactive map, it looks really neat.

BRaymondG, you should really consider Myles offer of doing an interactive project map for Charlottetown. Check out his existing maps appended to his signature and see what you think. I imagine all he would need to make the map is the location and details of any project in Charlottetown that you think is important enough to be included. You should PM him to see what he needs.

Sure thing. I can provide the necessary information if he wishes to create the map. I would do this myself but my time is limited.

braymondg
Aug 17, 2009, 2:16 PM
Major Summerside mall forced into receivership

As reported in the Guardian Saturday.

Tough economic times have caused the Oran Group to pull out of the Waterfront Mall and placing the prime downtown retail outlet into receivership.
“When Rick Fitzgerald (Oran Group) bought the mall three years ago, he came in here with a great vision,” Mundy said. “It was condos, that’s what he bought it for. After a frustrating year on his part, and almost a million dollars later, that fell apart and what he was left with was a mall with less than 30 per cent occupancy — a mall that continued to hemorrhage.”
Mundy said the focus then shifted from condos to filling the mall with businesses.

If you remember, here is the original article:

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/condss.jpg

:( for Summerside but I thought this might be to ambitious of a project for a
city of 16,000.

braymondg
Aug 17, 2009, 5:30 PM
Shoppers Drug Mart moving in downtown....around the corner.

Remember the original location for the new Hotel on Queen St. in Charlottetown and the problems between the land owner (Tweels) and Homburg, with Homburg finally moving around the corner on Grafton St.
All that :koko: and now we learn that Shoppers Drug Mart is moving into a new building at that Queen St. location.
Construction has already begun at this property.

Picture to follow.

braymondg
Aug 17, 2009, 5:34 PM
Fitzroy St Panoramic

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/fitz.jpg

New building nearing completion.

josh_cat_eyes
Aug 18, 2009, 4:45 AM
Major Summerside mall forced into receivership

As reported in the Guardian Saturday.

Tough economic times have caused the Oran Group to pull out of the Waterfront Mall and placing the prime downtown retail outlet into receivership.
“When Rick Fitzgerald (Oran Group) bought the mall three years ago, he came in here with a great vision,” Mundy said. “It was condos, that’s what he bought it for. After a frustrating year on his part, and almost a million dollars later, that fell apart and what he was left with was a mall with less than 30 per cent occupancy — a mall that continued to hemorrhage.”
Mundy said the focus then shifted from condos to filling the mall with businesses.

If you remember, here is the original article:

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/condss.jpg

:( for Summerside but I thought this might be to ambitious of a project for a
city of 16,000.
That mall is a joke anyway!!! The ONLY way it will ever become any good ever again is if RioCan, Crombie, Plazacorp or some other company like that buys it.

Smevo
Aug 18, 2009, 6:27 AM
As for Myles interactive map, it looks really neat.

Sure thing. I can provide the necessary information if he wishes to create the map. I would do this myself but my time is limited.

If you can plug away at stitching the map yourself, Myles can host it in such a way that you can turn edit mode on or off and put the points in yourself as you have the time, you just send him some code he copies and pastes and voila, point is created. I've done this with the two maps appended to my signature, and I'm planning to do a third map for the East CBRM (Glace Bay and New Waterford) when time permits. If you get it going, I think a Charlottetown interactive map would be great. :cheers:

braymondg
Aug 23, 2009, 5:26 PM
New Shoppers location and rendering

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/shoppers.jpg

Location, Queen St. Charlottetown

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/location.jpg

This is the location where the Homburg Hotel was to be built and is now being built on Grafton St.

Architype
Aug 23, 2009, 5:57 PM
^ It's funny how that rendering looks just like a fire hall; maybe there is a similarity between Shoppers and fire halls but I never noticed it before. ;)

braymondg
Aug 24, 2009, 1:42 AM
Kinda does look like a fire hall doesn't it!. At least they are trying to keep it like the rest of the streetscape on that side of Queen St.

braymondg
Aug 25, 2009, 1:48 PM
Charlottetown College expansion
Last Updated: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 | 8:11 AM AT
CBC News

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/map.jpg

The plan would close Grafton Lane, and Cumberland Street between Kent and Grafton streets. A planned expansion of the Charlottetown campus of Holland College could mean wiping a couple of streets off the map.

The college has already announced new buildings on land it owns between the existing student residence and its classrooms on Grafton Street. It means 14 houses will disappear.

On Monday, the college said it is also looking to close Grafton Lane and a section of Cumberland Street between Kent and Grafton streets.

"We have taken extra care in the design of the buildings and in the landscape design as well to make sure that this is a very attractive campus that will enhance the neighbourhood, and I think provide a beautiful initial impression for the historic city of Charlottetown," said Mike O'Grady, who is in charge of the expansion for the college.

The first public meeting on the plan was held Monday night. A second one will take place next month (Sept 15).

The college has indicated they have a plan for additional parking and foresee no issues with parking.
If all goes well at the meetings then building will begin immediately mid Sept.

--------

Losing a lane and a street won't hurt anyone. Nobody lives on these streets now anyway.

braymondg
Aug 25, 2009, 1:51 PM
Myles,

Explain to me how to insert the points on the map and I can pick at it.

Thanks
:)

mylesmalley
Aug 25, 2009, 2:18 PM
Myles,

Explain to me how to insert the points on the map and I can pick at it.

Thanks

Gotta get around to it first :p.

I'll get back to you ASAP.

mylesmalley
Aug 25, 2009, 2:21 PM
Do you want just charlottetown, or stratford and cornwall

braymondg
Aug 25, 2009, 4:47 PM
Charlottetown.

mylesmalley
Aug 26, 2009, 2:16 PM
Here you go!

http://marketingsociety.ca/maps/charlottetown/

By far the easiest thing for me would be if you have a photo editor that will give you coordinates in pixels. If that's the case, all you have to do is download the map file at http://marketingsociety.ca/maps/charlottetown/map.jpg . Once you have it, mark down the coordinates for each point and return them to me in this format:

@ Point Name
- Status
- Description
- left:XXXpx - top:XXXpx

I've set up a few status options:
completed - green
cancelled - red
on hold - orange
proposed - cyan
planning - cyan
construction - yellow

For example:

@ The Fictional Building Co
- construction
- Tallest building in the province
- left:490px - top:1010px

This would create a point at the given coordinates. It would be yellow.

If you haven't got an editor that will give you those coordinates, I can come up with something similar to the other project maps. But that's a hassle, and I'm lazy.

I'm trying out this new approach because it lets me store all the data in a plain text file, meaning a lot easier to keep track of and search through. The way I've done the ohter maps is... somewhat more cumbersome.

braymondg
Aug 27, 2009, 12:52 PM
Mylesmalley

Thanks for the info.
One question, do you recommend a particular graphics program?
Paint Shop Pro will show coordinates on the staus bar and I believe this is what your talking about
or will Photoshop be better.

Thanks

mylesmalley
Aug 27, 2009, 2:33 PM
I use a program called Pixelmator, but I'm on a mac. I don't think it much matters. PSP should work fine.

braymondg
Aug 27, 2009, 6:41 PM
Mylesmalley

I used Paint Shop Pro. Hopefully this works.
I have created a text file containing all the info.

Where do I send it?

mylesmalley
Aug 27, 2009, 8:06 PM
hmm. the point system works right. looks like PSP might be giving you the wrong numbers?

does it give you the distance from the left-side of the page and from the top? or bottom and right? like, where would point 0,0 be?

josh_cat_eyes
Aug 28, 2009, 2:43 AM
The map is all messed up. Non of the point are in the right place. Like there is one by the causeway in North River that says Sherwood Drug Store or something.

mylesmalley
Aug 28, 2009, 2:46 AM
Yeah, I know. Trying to figure that one out.

braymondg
Aug 28, 2009, 1:28 PM
mylesmalley

I just sent you a file to test using one location to see if the coordinate system in Fireworks is compatible.
It appears PSP uses a different system.

Try this and let me know and I will revise the list using Fireworks. I don't have Photoshop on this computer but something tells me Photoshop and Fireworks use the same XY coordinate system.

Will get it right one way or another!

braymondg
Aug 28, 2009, 1:57 PM
mylesmalley

In fireworks and PSP 0,0 is located in the top lefthand corner.
Where do I go to access the map to see the results of what I sent you so I can see how much it is off.

Thanks

braymondg
Aug 28, 2009, 2:22 PM
mylesmalley

I sent to you a text using Photoshop X,Y. These coordinates are no where near the PSP or Fireworks X,Y numbers.
Try that!

braymondg
Sep 1, 2009, 12:12 AM
Charlottetown Construction Updates

QE Hospital Ambulatory Care Expansion begins

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/215.jpg

Homburg Hotel Update

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/216.jpg

Confederation Mall Shopper Drug Mart Expansion

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/217.jpg

braymondg
Sep 3, 2009, 2:07 AM
mylesmalley,

I sent you the complete listing for Charlottetown with coordinates formatted
with Photoshop. The coordinates are different than PSP or Fireworks.
Hope this works.

josh_cat_eyes
Sep 8, 2009, 3:31 AM
Summerside construction updates:
The Credit Union Place is now 100% complete. The race track, turf field, pool and arena are all complete:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/HPIM1756.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/HPIM1754.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/HPIM1759.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/HPIM1750.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/HPIM1749.jpg
This is suposed to be a Panoramic view, but I don't know how to stitch it.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/HR011742.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/HR011743.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/HR011744.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/HR011745.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/HR011746.jpg
New condos on St. Steven Street:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/HPIM1594.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/HPIM1593.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/HPIM1597.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/HPIM1595.jpg
Shipyard Market on the west end:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/HPIM1601.jpg
Expanded & Renovated Micheals Pizza:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/HPIM1592.jpg
New Elm Street School Gym:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/HPIM1760.jpg

josh_cat_eyes
Sep 8, 2009, 3:56 AM
Now here is some contruction plans:
Royalty Power Centre:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/RoyaltyPowerCentrePlan.png
Former Summerside Holland Collage Site:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/FormerHollandCollageSiteDevelopment.png
Montague Canadian Tire:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/Montague.png
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/Montague1.png
Cornwall Business Park:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/Cornwall.png

billy1
Sep 9, 2009, 2:28 PM
josh_cat_eyes,

Where did you get all those site plans? In particular the Royalty Power Centre?

josh_cat_eyes
Sep 9, 2009, 4:28 PM
josh_cat_eyes,

Where did you get all those site plans? In particular the Royalty Power Centre?

APM's website. I downloaded some PDF files and then did a cropped print screen of the site plans.

thebrad
Sep 27, 2009, 3:11 AM
Hello PEI threaders,

I am currently living in Saint John and a member of the board there and am relocating to Charlottetown for work. Just thought I would give a greetings to all and look forward to being a contributor to the board.

~thebrad

PS,
Anyone know of an apartment for rent and will also allow a dog (greyhound)?

braymondg
Oct 12, 2009, 3:54 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm back after a short hiatus. This thread may have been quiet for awhile but that doesn't mean there hasn't been anything going on. There is loads of construction in the Charlottetown area. Here is a photo of the approved O'Halloran Condo development to take place at the corner of Richmond and Rochford Streets.

http://www.capitalhonda.com\const\rrcondos.jpg

There is also a large seniors apartment development being built in East Royalty area. This is a Birt R Associates project, and I've tried to get a rendering of that but their web page is under construction. I had to take a photo of the construction.

http://www.capitalhonda.com\const\chbirt.jpg

There is an expansion of the Kirkwood Mews plaza on University Ave and that is under way.

http://www.capitalhonda.com\const\chmews.jpg

New 50 unit apartment building on University Ave underway.

http://www.capitalhonda.com\const\chuniv.jpg

The bypass is being expanded to 4 lanes, and it's about time. University Ave from the University to the Mall is next.

http://www.capitalhonda.com\const\chtwin.jpg

That's it for now. To much to mention here at this time. More photos to follow on the Homburg Hotel, QEH expansion, Charlottetown Mall & National Bank building renovations, Shoppers Drug Mart expansion, etc.

braymondg
Oct 13, 2009, 1:49 AM
More Charlottetown Construction Photos:

Demolition of the old Holman's building is nearing completion. Also, the external siding is being removed from the National Bank tower which is part of the Mall renovations.

http://www.capitalhonda.com\const\chhotel.jpg

The $40 million expansion of the Holland College campus has begun. Work has been ongoing preparing the foundation.

http://www.capitalhonda.com\const\chholland.jpg

More Shoppers Drug Mart expansion.

http://www.capitalhonda.com\const\chshoppers.jpg

Waterfront Condos are well on the way. Foundation is finished and ready for
added floors.

http://www.capitalhonda.com\const\chwater.jpg

Sherwood Drug Mart expansion. Being rebuilt after a fire last spring.

http://www.capitalhonda.com\const\chdrug.jpg

Fitzroy Street 8 storey office tower nearing completion.

http://www.capitalhonda.com\const\chfit.jpg

That is all for now.