PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : The Official PEI Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

mylesmalley
Oct 13, 2009, 1:55 AM
gotta say, i'm a bit jealous. Charlottetown really seems to have their stuff together when it comes to building up and dense.

MonctonRad
Oct 13, 2009, 3:06 AM
More Charlottetown Construction Photos:

Fitzroy Street 8 storey office tower nearing completion.

http://www.capitalhonda.com\const\chfit.jpg

That is all for now.

:tup:

I was a little confused by this perspective until I realized that you were shooting up the alleyway behind the Jean Camfield Federal Building. This is an interesting shot, it makes Charlottetown seem pretty dense.

I agree with Myles, the vast majority of new construction in Charlottetown is concentrated in the downtown core which will contribute quite positively to the overall density of the city. Here in Moncton on the other hand, construction is scattered all over the metro area and the downtown so far has benefitted only slightly. Good job Charlottetown!!

BTW, is the whole bypass (including Riverside Drive) being four laned? are they finally going to complete the western portion of the bypass or will it continue to end abruptly at Upton road? Enquiring minds want to know......

MTLskyline
Oct 13, 2009, 3:19 AM
I can't see the photos.

Lamespotting
Oct 13, 2009, 12:53 PM
I can't see the photos.

The URLs are malformed, but Google Chrome seems to be able to correct them. The problem is that the "\" character is used instead of "/" in image URLs.

braymondg
Oct 13, 2009, 10:54 PM
MTLskyline,

Sorry about the \. I've been too long in the computer business and it extends itself well back into the days of DOS. I'll try to use the / from now on.

MonctonRad,

Yes, that was taken behind the Jean Canfield building. Nice perspective I thought. I just pulled over on Euston St. in front of the new Invesco building and took a quick shot with the cell phone camera.

As for the bypass, it is only being made 4 lanes up to the Malpeque Rd. (Sears Corner) from the St. Peters Rd intersection. It's to bad they won't do the whole thing. Also, Riverside Drive from the Hospital to the bridge is going to be widened, and so is University Ave from the Ch'town Mall corner to the University. I hate it when they do things a piece at a time. I guess it all comes down to money.

Myles,

The development in the center of the city is changing this city in a big way, especially in the last 10 years. I heard that a developer is interested in a 6 storey building at the corner of University and Euston, in front of the Inn on the Hill. This is just rumored however.

Did you have a chance to figure out the map issue and the pixels? Any software you can suggest PC wise that would match the Mac Pixel layout.

braymondg
Oct 13, 2009, 11:11 PM
Charlottetown Spring 2008

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/chtown2.jpg

braymondg
Oct 13, 2009, 11:14 PM
MonctonRad,

You had asked me sometime ago if the Fitzroy building would be attached to the Queen Parkade and I can tell you that they are. I was in the Parkade last week and I checked to see if there was a connection between the two.

mylesmalley
Oct 13, 2009, 11:54 PM
I'm sorry I haven't been terribly attentive, but I've been sidetracked more than a few times by school and other things in the last few weeks.

Sort answer: Pixels are pixels :P. You can't have anything but a whole-number of pixels because a display can't show half of one for example. The measurements you've been giving me are likely in cm or inches or something, which i can't work with easily.

The map of the city I've provided has dimensions:
width:2436px
height:2467px

The coordinates i need have to be in pixels in this order:

pixels away from the left-hand side of the image
pixels away from the top of the image.

In other words, for a point to go at the very top-left of the page, the coords should be 0,0. the bottom-right would be 2436,2467. Dead centre would be 1218,1234 (note that you can't have half a pixel so you have to round up or down).

I don't use photoshop or paint shop pro, but I'm positive there is a way you can get it to tell you those coordinates, although they might give them in a different order. some experimenting might be in order.

Also, just out of curiosity, if you could provide me with the coordinates of the centre of the exhibition track the same way you did before, i might be able to figure out how the program you're using is calculating things.

MonctonRad
Oct 14, 2009, 12:58 AM
MonctonRad,

Yes, that was taken behind the Jean Canfield building. Nice perspective I thought. I just pulled over on Euston St. in front of the new Invesco building and took a quick shot with the cell phone camera.

As for the bypass, it is only being made 4 lanes up to the Malpeque Rd. (Sears Corner) from the St. Peters Rd intersection. It's to bad they won't do the whole thing. Also, Riverside Drive from the Hospital to the bridge is going to be widened, and so is University Ave from the Ch'town Mall corner to the University. I hate it when they do things a piece at a time. I guess it all comes down to money.

Thanks for the info........

How are they going to deal with that overpass over the bypass highway at Oak Drive, there is no way that overpass structure is long enough to allow for four laning underneath.....

Also, you didn't mention whether they are going to complete the western portion of the bypass, beyond Upton Road. I have variously heard that the bypass could join the existing TCH either on that island in the middle of the North River or continue further west, beyond Cornwall and join the TCH there. Do you have any information?

Finally, I'm really glad they are finally widening University Avenue from UPEI to the Charlottetown Mall. That quite literally should have been done 25-30 years ago. :tup:

braymondg
Oct 15, 2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the info........

How are they going to deal with that overpass over the bypass highway at Oak Drive, there is no way that overpass structure is long enough to allow for four laning underneath.....

Also, you didn't mention whether they are going to complete the western portion of the bypass, beyond Upton Road. I have variously heard that the bypass could join the existing TCH either on that island in the middle of the North River or continue further west, beyond Cornwall and join the TCH there. Do you have any information?

Finally, I'm really glad they are finally widening University Avenue from UPEI to the Charlottetown Mall. That quite literally should have been done 25-30 years ago. :tup:

MonctonRad,

The overpass is staying and is to be extended. There was talk to remove it but there was a large outcry from those that use it so the government had to change their decision. It came down to emergency access to the area so they had to take that into consideration.

All the talk of widening the bypass has overtaken extending the bypass.
Talk on the western section of the bypass from Malpeque Rd and around Cornwall has
all but disappeared off the planet. Nothing has been mentioned of it for quite sometime. I'm not sure of the layout but if they were going to use Poplar Island it would be nearly impossible due to the extensive development of the island. I heard that there would be a whole new bridge but this is now questioned if the highway is even going to proceed west to the river. The new Bioscience park ($30 million development)will stand right in the way of the intersection. Since there hasn't been much talk about it lately, I can't say for sure what the route will be. I will be the first to let you know though.

As for widening University, it will surely help that bottleneck of traffic.

The way they do things here with highways is ridiculous. I wish they would hire engineers
from NS or NB to design and build the bypass.
You've heard Paris called "the city of lights". Well, I call Charlottetown "the city of traffic lights". It seems to be the solution when you have two roads meet.

braymondg
Oct 15, 2009, 12:57 AM
I'm sorry I haven't been terribly attentive, but I've been sidetracked more than a few times by school and other things in the last few weeks.

Sort answer: Pixels are pixels :P. You can't have anything but a whole-number of pixels because a display can't show half of one for example. The measurements you've been giving me are likely in cm or inches or something, which i can't work with easily.

The map of the city I've provided has dimensions:
width:2436px
height:2467px

The coordinates i need have to be in pixels in this order:

pixels away from the left-hand side of the image
pixels away from the top of the image.

In other words, for a point to go at the very top-left of the page, the coords should be 0,0. the bottom-right would be 2436,2467. Dead centre would be 1218,1234 (note that you can't have half a pixel so you have to round up or down).

I don't use photoshop or paint shop pro, but I'm positive there is a way you can get it to tell you those coordinates, although they might give them in a different order. some experimenting might be in order.

Also, just out of curiosity, if you could provide me with the coordinates of the centre of the exhibition track the same way you did before, i might be able to figure out how the program you're using is calculating things.

Mylesmalley,

I'll work on it to see if I can find a compatible graphics program over the next few days. I took tomorrow and Friday off so I'll have a look.

braymondg
Oct 15, 2009, 11:17 PM
Mylesmalley,

I just emailed you new coordinates for Ch'town, created with a MAC/PC compatible graphics program.
I think we may have it this time because you can actually select "px" and the "y" coordinate are different than the other programs I've tried.

Give it a try!

braymondg
Oct 16, 2009, 1:55 PM
More Construction Charlottetown,

New photos of a sister complex being build by Hambly Rental Inc. on the east side of Charlottetown. I saw this listed on the Charlottetown City Permit page and thought I would take a look. I didn't realize it was that far along in construction until today. Here are photos of the building underway and it's sister complex that was built 5 years ago.

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/chhambly.jpg

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/chhambly2.jpg

--------------------

Holland College Progress,

Hard to see but there is one mother of a big hole here.

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/chholland2.jpg

The houses at the far side of this lot are being torn down today.

NLJP
Oct 18, 2009, 9:25 PM
I was a little confused by this perspective until I realized that you were shooting up the alleyway behind the Jean Camfield Federal Building. This is an interesting shot, it makes Charlottetown seem pretty dense.

I agree with Myles, the vast majority of new construction in Charlottetown is concentrated in the downtown core which will contribute quite positively to the overall density of the city. Here in Moncton on the other hand, construction is scattered all over the metro area and the downtown so far has benefitted only slightly. Good job Charlottetown!!

BTW, is the whole bypass (including Riverside Drive) being four laned? are they finally going to complete the western portion of the bypass or will it continue to end abruptly at Upton road? Enquiring minds want to know......
Yep, if only St. John's would follow suit...

braymondg
Nov 8, 2009, 1:21 AM
Charlottetown begins two road construction projects
The Guardian

Crews will begin laying the groundwork next week for two important traffic projects that will make Charlottetown an easier city to get around in.
The first phase of the University Avenue widening project starts Nov. 9 when contractors begin widening the section of University Avenue — between Browns Court and Enman Crescent — from two to four lanes.
“Making this stretch of University Avenue four lanes will certainly improve traffic flow to the downtown by reducing the bottleneck that now occurs,” said Terry Bernard, chair of the city’s Public Works Committee.
“We’re working with the contractors to minimize traffic delays during the construction period.”
For the next six weeks, crews will be placing and compacting fill on the west side of University Ave., moving pedestrians to the west side and infilling work on the east side.
Traffic flow will continue in both directions with small periods of one-way alternating, if it becomes necessary and flaggers will be posted at each end of the section to direct traffic.
They will let the materials “settle” throughout the winter and carry out the majority of the project in 2010.
This project will create dual-lane travel in each direction from Belvedere Avenue to Capital Drive. Crews will not only widen the road, but build turning lanes and make other changes to the existing right-of-way. Upgrades will be made to the University Avenue/Enman Crescent intersection for better left-turning, and sidewalks will be built on the west side of University Avenue from Belvedere Avenue to Enman Crescent. Crews will also review and upgrade traffic control signals at University Avenue and Belvedere and Belvedere and Mount Edward Road.
The city will release a formal design of the 2010 work plan in the spring.
Also beginning Monday, the city will lay the groundwork for a re-design of the intersection of Allen Street at Mt. Edward Road.
This upgrade of underground services will position the city for the intersection redesign which includes the new storm sewer system, sidewalks and street lighting.
The co-operation and understanding of the area businesses, residents and general public is greatly appreciated during these improvements.

:tup: It's about time

pei guy
Nov 10, 2009, 8:33 PM
Hi everybody! I'm from Montague and our new Department of Fisheries Building is coming good on Main Street. We also have a new dental clinic and law office going up on the waterfront.

MonctonRad
Nov 10, 2009, 11:46 PM
:previous:

Welcome pei guy, now we have an official Montague and eastern PEI reporter too. :)

josh_cat_eyes
Nov 17, 2009, 4:40 AM
On the PEI Government website, if you click on maps, and then use the mapguide tool, and you zoom in to the end of the bypass you can click on a setting that allows you to view the boundaries of the lots. If you follow the bypass across the river you can follow the route of the western bypass all the way past Cornwall to the TCH. It does not work if you have a macbook like myself though. I do believe that the town of Cornwall wants the bypass to go ahead ASAP, but at the time the Dept. of Transportation said that it's top priority was Route 2. I think now, their priority should become the ENTIRE bypass from the TCH past cornwall all of the way to the Hillsbourgh bridge.

braymondg
Nov 18, 2009, 12:31 AM
josh_cat_eyes

I agree! I don't think the problem is money. I've never seen the likes for cash floating around here. I wish they would do it and finish it. By the time they get it done, cars will be obsolete. :haha:

braymondg
Nov 18, 2009, 12:32 AM
Motorists could face delays with city construction projects
The Guardian

Motorists can expect delays this week as two major road construction projects are now underway in Charlottetown.
Heavy traffic congestion can be expected for the next month at the Mt. Edward Road/Allen St. intersection and on University Avenue from Enman Crescent South to MacKinnon Road near Brown’s Court.
Motorists can expect tie-ups in both areas.
Mt. Edward Road from Harley to Allen Street will be closed for the day today.
On University Avenue, crews have begun widening the section — between Browns Court and Enman Crescent – from two to four lanes.
“The co-operation and understanding of the area businesses, residents and general public is greatly appreciated during these improvements,” says a city news release.

:rolleyes:

braymondg
Nov 18, 2009, 12:49 AM
Two more roundabouts considered for Charlottetown
CBC News

Charlottetown's Riverside Drive could include two roundabouts as part of a major upgrade, says Transportation Minister Ron MacKinley.

MacKinley said some of the plans for Riverside Drive, a section of the Charlottetown bypass that runs from the Hillsborough Bridge to St. Peter's Road, are already set. It will be widened to four lanes with a berm down the middle.

"This is a very busy section of highway," MacKinley told CBC News Monday.

"There's 24,000 cars going by here a day and sometimes there's more in the summer."

Getting on Riverside Drive can be difficult, particularly at Exhibition Drive and by the energy-from-waste plant. Typically P.E.I. has used traffic lights at locations such as this, but MacKinley said putting two traffic lights so close together doesn't make sense.

"Islanders don't like signals. They're complaining to me about the bypass having too many signals, so we are exploring the idea of roundabouts," he said.

"[I] saw a lot of them when I was in California, saw them when I was in Ireland before, and we are looking at that possibility to see how it's going to work."

MacKinley said roundabouts are safer than intersections because the cars aren't going as fast if there is a collision.

The work on Riverside Drive is expected to begin this spring, with or without the roundabouts. The cost of the $6-million-plus project is being shared by the federal and provincial governments.

:koko:

MonctonRad
Nov 18, 2009, 12:56 AM

It's a bit late in the season to be starting this work don't you think.......It could snow almost anytime now. It could be an instant mudbog.

Also, what's the idea of blocking up both Mount Edward Road and University Avenue at the same time.......That seems like poor planning to me!!!

There will be a lot of traffic diverted to North River Road and perhaps Brackley Point Road......sounds like a nightmare to me!

mylesmalley
Nov 18, 2009, 1:01 AM
I don't know the specifics of this situation, but roundabouts in general are a good way to handle traffic. If they're properly designed, you don't even have to slow down much when using them. They can handle a lot of vehicles, and I'd argue are better to drive on, because you don't get nearly the frustration of a lighted intersection when traffic is heavy and you're forced to wait for a red light. That said, they aren't perfect. they really need to be large enough to handle the volume being put on them. Moreover, you can't have too many streets meeting at a small circle. The Armdale Rotary in Halifax is a pretty good example of that.

braymondg
Nov 18, 2009, 1:02 AM
Holland College Expansion Underway

The $40-million expansion of the Charlottetown campus of Holland College is well underway. The foundation is now being put in place. Demolition has been completed around the block and the City has approved the closure of Cumberland St. with the request that a pedestrian right of way be made to extend from Kent St. to Grafton St.

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/hc3.jpg

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/hcast2.jpg

braymondg
Nov 18, 2009, 1:19 AM
Hi All,

MonctonRad,
It's the worst time of the year.....well, they could have done it during the tourist season. They initially put it off due to the Canada Summer Games.
I think they left it too late.
As for the traffic....The road construction will be a nightmare. I live off North River Road and the traffic in the morning and evening is much worse.
At the University Ave location, it's just to widen the area between UPEI and Enman but it will interfere with traffic that's for sure. They plan on finishing it in the Spring. :rolleyes:
I was down Mt. Edward Rd to get my wife today and I said to her I might have to use North River Rd to get downtown to where she works. University is out, Mt Edward Rd is out, and it looks like St. Peters Rd will be clogged, Bypass is getting there but not quite done yet. It'll be fun!!

I personally don't have a problem with roundabouts but it's not myself I have to worry about. People can't merge here. It will be very interesting to say the least.

MonctonRad
Nov 18, 2009, 4:40 AM

I think roundabouts are OK in general but I'm not sure that they would be a good idea on Riverside Drive.........This is part of the city bypass and a lot of tourists will be taken by surprise by this.

The two large traffic circles here in Moncton took some getting used to. The Hall's Creek Circle is OK because it's diameter is large enough that you can enter the circle at speed and it is able to handle large traffic volumes. The other traffic circle at the causeway is an entirely different matter......at rush hour, traffic entering from Wheeler Blvd. can be backed up at least 1/2 km (if not further).

I think roundabouts on Riverside Dr. would be asking for trouble.

Dmajackson
Nov 18, 2009, 5:35 AM
Here in the 'Fax the Armdale Roundabout seems to work really well lately. Accidents are down dramatically since the conversion and you don't always have to stop getting into the circle (dependant on what road you're on).

Of course some people still don't know that looking is mandatory before entering the circle ... oh well its like the Windsor St Exchange (you have one hand on the horn and one on the wheel).

The 'Fax is actually in the process right now of installing three more roundabouts with at least another under consideration.

MonctonRad
Nov 18, 2009, 12:08 PM
There are two new roundabouts in the works here in Moncton too.

I am not opposed to roundabouts, but they are not appropriate in all locations.

I remember once driving in Scotland (outside of Perth), and coming across a junction between two high speed divided motorways. They met at one huge roundabout!! It was pretty hairy....

mylesmalley
Nov 18, 2009, 2:28 PM
The Brits have them down to a science. This one is outside of Swindon and is called the Magic Roundabout. It's actually one large cirtcle surrounded by five smaller ones. The graph is in german, but you still get the idea of the craziness.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/Swindon_Magic_Roundabout_db.png

braymondg
Nov 19, 2009, 7:35 PM
The Brits have them down to a science. This one is outside of Swindon and is called the Magic Roundabout. It's actually one large cirtcle surrounded by five smaller ones. The graph is in german, but you still get the idea of the craziness.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/Swindon_Magic_Roundabout_db.png

PERFECT!!!

Just what we need on Riverside drive. I would love to see the look on my wife's face going through this one.
Eyes would be closed and she would be holding on for dear life!! :haha:

braymondg
Nov 19, 2009, 7:36 PM
Work on new Stratford school on schedule
The Guardian

Construction of a new school in Stratford is on schedule and will be completed next fall, Education Minister Gerard Greenan says.
The province is building a new school for grades four to six in Stratford because the current school, Glen Stewart Elementary, is bursting at the seems.
Site work has been completed for the school, which will be built next to Glen Stewart.
“Phase two we’ve done the foundation, the walls are going up and there’s steel arriving next week for the roof,” said Greenan.
“The whole project is on schedule and will be completed by September 2010 for the children.

braymondg
Nov 19, 2009, 7:47 PM
Holland College Receives $4.7million loan

Holland College has received a $4.7 million loan to begin the extension to Glendenning Hall. This will allow the expansion to begin immediately. Originally the expansion was to take place later but this loan has moved the start date up. Construction on this a building and the Applied Sciences building will be ongoing at the same time.

You can see the Glendenning Hall just to the right of the Applied Science Building in this rendering.
http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/hcast2.jpg

braymondg
Nov 20, 2009, 5:29 PM
Developer set to deliver on New Hotel
The Guardian

Island developer Tim Banks says Charlottetown needs a “branded’’ hotel and he is ready to deliver.
“I’ve lined up a few people that are in that industry — investor types — they see a market opportunity in Charlottetown,’’ the APM president told The Guardian on Thursday.
Banks is aiming for spring construction with the hotel opening in 2011.
He envisions an 80- to 100-room hotel in either the downtown core or near the Sears department store located on the outskirts of the city.
Banks says so-called branded or loyalty hotels like Hampton Inn or Radisson Hotels are “popping up all over the place’’ in neighbouring cities like Moncton, Saint John and Halifax.
He called the Homburg hotel that is currently being constructed at the Confederation Court Mall “more of a boutique type hotel’’ and says it is time to make room for a branded hotel in the capital city.
“If our tourism product doesn’t freshen up, we are going to fall by the wayside,’’ he said. “Essentially, that is where the marketplace has gone.’’
Banks says he is not getting into the hotel business. He is just paving the way.
“We’re just co-developing here,’’ he said. “We’re helping some well-heeled investors put together a deal. We will not be operating it.’’
Banks says while “it’s a sluggish economy and money is tight,’’ he feels the time is right to build a brand hotel in Charlottetown.
On his blog Wednesday, Banks noted hotels like Courtyard by Marriott and Four Points Sheraton have loyalty programs that tourists “we need’’ can’t use in Charlottetown.
“All these new enterprises bring jobs and investments to the Island and gives potential visitors more choices and it also forces existing operators to reinvest in freshening up their facilities and programs all of which is good for the end users and our tourist industry,’’ writes Banks in his blog.
Local businessman Kevin Murphy, chair of the Tourism Advisory Council, says the city has long been in need of hotel development.
“That has been a weakness in our product in Charlottetown,’’ he said. “From an industry perspective, I always welcome new product and competition.’’
Murphy says the competition from new hotels — Banks’, Holmburg’s and potentially others — should provide impetus to other accommodation businesses to upgrade their product.
He stressed, though, the tourism market needs to grow or the city will be left simply cutting up the accommodation pie into thinner slices.

pei guy
Nov 20, 2009, 8:29 PM
That's great that Ch'town is getting two new hotels. It will hopefully bring more tourists and new businesses to downtown or out near Sears. Hopefully it will be closer to downtown than that though. Oh, and hopefully they both stay hotels: Montague only has B & Bs, because our three-storey, 40-room hotel was turned into a senior's complex. :koko: Can't wait to see the design and/or render of the 'branded hotel.' :)

pei guy
Nov 22, 2009, 1:13 AM
Montague Canadian Tire:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/Montague.png
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/Montague1.png
Progress on this is coming pretty good. So far, only the Service Canada building has been finished, it has been for a few months now. Canadian Tire is going to start construction soon, I think. At the other end of Montague, there's the newly finished Wellness Centre, a complex with a new rink, walking track, meeting rooms and a huge new library. There's also a state-of-the-art high school under construction to replace the old one downtown. I'll have some pictures up soon. :tup:

braymondg
Nov 23, 2009, 7:12 PM
Nice to see Montague having a fair share of the construction business. I haven't been to Montague for some time but I'll have to take a look at all this the next time I'm there.

Keep em coming PEI_Guy!!

I'm surprised Canadian Tire didn't think on putting a store in Stratford. I see Stats Canada puts the population at 7083 in 2006. This being 2009 and the home building going on there is fast and furious, the population could now be pushing 8000. Nice to see the East get it first though. All that will make Montague the place to be in Eastern PEI.

josh_cat_eyes
Nov 26, 2009, 10:20 PM
The only place I'd like to see a roundabout on riverside drive is at the end of the bridge.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/josh_cat_eyes/HillsbourghBridgeRoundabout.png

MTLskyline
Nov 27, 2009, 2:03 AM
^ I think that would be awfully chaotic, especially right off the bridge. IMO, Roundabouts cause more accidents then they prevent.

pei guy
Nov 27, 2009, 2:20 AM
http://www.dailybusinessbuzz.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/pebldgsketchjuly14.jpg
This is the render of the new Govt. Building on Main Street of Montague. It's almost finished. :tup:

pei guy
Dec 1, 2009, 7:31 PM
Nice to see Montague having a fair share of the construction business. I haven't been to Montague for some time but I'll have to take a look at all this the next time I'm there.

Keep em coming PEI_Guy!!

I'm surprised Canadian Tire didn't think on putting a store in Stratford. I see Stats Canada puts the population at 7083 in 2006. This being 2009 and the home building going on there is fast and furious, the population could now be pushing 8000. Nice to see the East get it first though. All that will make Montague the place to be in Eastern PEI.

I don't think Canadian Tire wanted a store in Stratford because it would take a lot of customers away from the one in Ch'town. Also, Stratford has the huge Home Hardware, so there would be heavy competition.

Montague is a priority for them because people from down East don't like driving for 40 minutes to an hour just to buy something at Canadian Tire. This new store will have customers from Montague, Georgetown, Souris and Cardigan, to name a few, and right there is 15,000 people just around the four main towns. :tup:

braymondg
Dec 7, 2009, 1:48 AM
I don't think Canadian Tire wanted a store in Stratford because it would take a lot of customers away from the one in Ch'town. Also, Stratford has the huge Home Hardware, so there would be heavy competition.

Montague is a priority for them because people from down East don't like driving for 40 minutes to an hour just to buy something at Canadian Tire. This new store will have customers from Montague, Georgetown, Souris and Cardigan, to name a few, and right there is 15,000 people just around the four main towns. :tup:

It's nice to see this development taking place in Montague. Looks good!
Keep us informed how things are progressing and if you can post a picture that would be nice too.

josh_cat_eyes
Dec 7, 2009, 9:24 PM
Is it just me or is Canadian Tire entering the small markets. Montague, Shediac, Riverview. Are they marketing themselves like Sobeys now or something.

kirjtc2
Dec 8, 2009, 12:49 PM
Canadian Tire has had stores in small towns in Ontario for decades. They're just finally catching up here.

josh_cat_eyes
Dec 8, 2009, 4:14 PM
Canadian Tire has had stores in small towns in Ontario for decades. They're just finally catching up here.

Ahh...that makes sense...it always happens like that. We (Atlantic Canada) are always the last one to get anything!

braymondg
Dec 28, 2009, 1:49 AM
Holland College Expansion

Here is a photo of the steel going up for the new Holland College
expansion. At the end of this lot they have started digging the
foundation for the new residence.

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/hc5.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Homburg Hotel Construction Update

Homburg Hotel Construction

The construction on the Homburg Hotel continues, with the placement of the
bottom section for the crane. Installation of the crane should take place
in the coming weeks.

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/homburg5.jpg

---

braymondg
Jan 6, 2010, 1:02 PM
Montague mayor expects building boom to continue

The Guardian

MONTAGUE — Mayor Richard Collins expects the building boom in eastern P.E.I.’s largest town will continue in 2010 with an estimated $4 million-plus in construction.
Collin said he anticipates the arrival of a new Canadian Tire store valued at roughly $2.4 million and an estimated $2-million expansion to the intermediate high school.
“I expect Canadian Tire will be starting work early in the new year to get off to a good start,” he said in an interview with The Guardian.
“I think they’re getting ready to roll.”
Canadian Tire’s building permit was put on hold last year when the economic recession took hold and delayed plans.
The provisional building permit runs out soon and Collins expects construction starts will begin next to the Superstore and possibly include a Mark’s Work Wearhouse outlet.
Collins said the town will also be looking forward to the “immediate” expansion of the intermediate school with the relocation of Montague Regional High School to the edge of town.
“A new piece will be added to the intermediate school on
property formerly occupied by the old Midtown Motel,” he confirmed.
The intermediate school on Sackville Street will gain an industrial arts and music centre expansion this year as part of the relocation package.
The construction projects follow on the heels of the completion of the new regional high school, the new provincial Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development building and a new Cox and Palmer law office on the waterfront.

braymondg
Jan 6, 2010, 1:11 PM
If all goes according to plan, motorists will be driving in circles by July 1 at the intersection of Mount Edward Road and Allen Street.

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/roundabout.jpg

Work was recently completed on updating the underground storm water system to correct flooding problems at the intersection in the past, and work on a roundabout will begin this spring. This roundabout will keep traffic circulating at all times. As for pedestrians, this diagram indicates how people will be able to cross the street. There will be two crosswalks, one across Allen Street, the other across Mount Edward Road, indicated by the white dotted lines. Roundabouts are considered safer for pedestrians because it eliminates left-turning vehicles with drivers focused on oncoming traffic and not on those crossing the street.

It will be interesting! :rolleyes:

pei guy
Jan 8, 2010, 8:13 PM
Sorry about the lack of pictures everybody: i lost my camera charger :hell: , but when i get a new one i'll post some pics of the Cox & Palmer building (which will also house a dentist), the Fisheries building, the high school and Canadian Tire.

braymondg
Jan 12, 2010, 12:55 PM
New shopping centre proposed for Charlottetown

NIGEL ARMSTRONG
The Guardian

A public meeting will be held concerning two massive pieces of undeveloped land in Charlottetown that might be home for an equally massive shopping centre.

The issue of agricultural land to the north of the existing Charlottetown Mall was on the agenda at Monday’s monthly meeting of Charlottetown City Council. Plazacorp Retail Properties Limited is seeking to rezone two large parcels of farmland to C-3, shopping centre commercial.

http://www.capitalhonda.com/const/sc.jpg

Sources that asked not to be named have told The Guardian that Sobeys will move its West Royalty grocery store to the new development.

In Charlottetown, Plazacorp currently owns University Plaza which includes Smitty’s, Eastside Mario’s, Jumbo Video and others; Belvedere Plaza that includes the bigger Superstore, Indigo, Mark’s Work Wearhouse and others; UAS Plaza that houses Shoppers Drug Mart, Subway and TD Canada Trust across the road from the Charlottetown Mall; and Spring Park Plaza that includes the downtown Co-op grocery and Value Village.

josh_cat_eyes
Jan 12, 2010, 4:46 PM
New shopping centre proposed for Charlottetown

NIGEL ARMSTRONG
The Guardian

A public meeting will be held concerning two massive pieces of undeveloped land in Charlottetown that might be home for an equally massive shopping centre.

The issue of agricultural land to the north of the existing Charlottetown Mall was on the agenda at Monday’s monthly meeting of Charlottetown City Council. Plazacorp Retail Properties Limited is seeking to rezone two large parcels of farmland to C-3, shopping centre commercial.

Sources that asked not to be named have told The Guardian that Sobeys will move its West Royalty grocery store to the new development.

In Charlottetown, Plazacorp currently owns University Plaza which includes Smitty’s, Eastside Mario’s, Jumbo Video and others; Belvedere Plaza that includes the bigger Superstore, Indigo, Mark’s Work Wearhouse and others; UAS Plaza that houses Shoppers Drug Mart, Subway and TD Canada Trust across the road from the Charlottetown Mall; and Spring Park Plaza that includes the downtown Co-op grocery and Value Village.

That would be a HUGE investment. Perhaps could even get the Royalty Power Centre moving. I don't see what Crombie REIT doesn't buy something and put the sobeys in that though. They only own the County Fair Mall in Summerside and the Sobeys Plazza in Stratford. You'd think they would want to build something in Charlottetown. They only problem I have with the development is the size along with the size of the Royalty Power Centre. I don't know how many more big box retailers a city of Charlottetown's size can handle. A new Kent store is supposed to be built up in RPC but other than Kent the only other big box retailers Charlottetown doesn't have that I can think of is Best Buy, Costco, Princess Auto, Urban Planet?, Homesense? and maybe some smaller stores like American Eagle, West 49, HMV. Like not a very long list really.

kirjtc2
Jan 12, 2010, 5:48 PM
I'm with you. I really can't imagine them filling another power centre in Charlottetown without cannibalizing the existing ones.

Could they at least wait for the Sears one to even start to fill up? Looking at their site plan ( http://www.trinity-group.com/?q=node/378 ) it looks like they're trying to get Costco...that big one on the right is the shape of a typical Costco store.

braymondg
Jan 12, 2010, 7:24 PM
Well, they must think there is something there because did you notice the
size of the trade area they want to attract :

TRADE AREA
65,000 population in primary trade area.
135,000 population in secondary trade area.

(Stats Canada says the agglomerated population of Charlottetown is almost 60,000)

They want to penetrate the whole island and move alot of off island traffic and divert it to Charlottetown.
I think this is a good thing. Build it and they will come. We need the jobs!.

mylesmalley
Jan 12, 2010, 8:26 PM
Great if the city can attract that kind of investment, but that's a pretty massive mall for an area the size of Charlottetown.

Unless the intention is to consolidate and get rid of some of the older retail stock in town?

MonctonRad
Jan 13, 2010, 12:17 AM
I remain absolutely stunned at the amount of development ongoing and planned in the greater Charlottetown area......

I grew up in the city in the '60s & '70s and pretty much nothing was built there during that time. What is going on there now is nothing less than astounding!!

I agree with Myles, the size of this proposed development site at the corner of the bypass and rte. 2 is huge. Perhaps kirjtc2 is correct and Costco may be the anchor for the development. With existing Costco stores in Halifax(2) and Moncton and new stores planned or under construction in Saint John and Fredericton, Charlottetown would likely be the next obvious market in the Maritimes to consider.

The market figures supplied by braymondg are interesting. As he says, they point to the inclusion of the entire provincial population. This would still be a lot less than the catchment areas for any of the mainland Maritime cities however, and I worry that the Island population will not be large enough to justify a development of this size.

In particular, there is a real worry that if this shopping development is built, that the downtown could become a ghost town. This would be quite sad as the downtown Charlottetown shopping experience is unique and is one of the main reasons why I still go over to the Island occasionally to look around. I would not be so attracted to go over there if the only choice was yet another "power centre" with the usual assortment of discount big box stores.

Charlottetown should be cautious about approving this project. I kinda agree with kirjtc2, perhaps it would be better if they filled up the Sears development first........I'm not saying that Costco shouldn't build over there but there might be enough land next to Sears to accomodate it. If so, then a whole new shopping centre might not be necessary.

mylesmalley
Jan 13, 2010, 2:15 AM
It's too late for Moncton. Run while you still can, Charlottetown...!

braymondg
Jan 13, 2010, 2:18 PM
I would like to point out the Stats Canada population figures do not tell the whole story. Remember that the population only shows permanent residences.
During the summer those figures will quadruple or more. The developers of these projects must analyze the figures and make a decision based on the those figures. And after seeing the frenzy this Christmas, I can say that if you don't have a shop open here, you are missing out because every store that I was in was packed with shoppers from early Nov til Boxing Day. So there must be some confidence in the economy here, on and off season.

As for the downtown, with 40,000+ people coming into the Charlottetown downtown and area from cruise ship traffic this summer, I believe they can hold their own. New hotels, new condos/apartments are solidifying a stronger population in the downtown and there are efforts to move this along. So Charlottetown is taking an aggressive attempt to make sure the downtown is alive and that shopping variety is available to all the citizens of the CMA and the island.
Why just across the bridge in Stratford, it's recognized as one of the fastest growing towns in Canada. The population is pushing 8000, if it hasn't already.
By 2020 it might surpass Summerside (15000) in population. New subdivisions, not homes, are popping up everywhere, even in the dead of winter. You really have to see it. You'd think they struck oil over here!

As MonctonRad said, changes are on the move, and Charlottetown is catching up quickly with other Maritime cities.
Bring her on!!

MonctonRad
Jan 13, 2010, 3:37 PM

Don't get me wrong braymondg, as an ex-Charlottetonian, I am as big a civic booster as you are!

My concerns for downtown Charlottetown are sincere. Big box developments elsewhere have generally not been kind to the urban cores. Downtown Moncton is a case in point.

Perhaps Charlottetown could be different. The fact that it is a capital city helps. Downtown Fredericton has escaped significant blight (so far) despite big box development. I wish you luck but you guys should still be cautious....

pei guy
Jan 14, 2010, 11:47 PM
Canada Tree taking root in Montague

STEVE SHARRATT
The Guardian

MONTAGUE — The Canada Tree has found a permanent home in eastern P.E.I.’s largest town.
But now the work begins as officials attempt to design a structure that will house and protect the 35-foot structure and find the funding to pay for it.
“We feel this is where the Canada Tree belongs and we felt Tyler would like it here on the Montague waterfront,” said Linda Aspin, mother of the late Tyler Aspin who designed the impressive Canada Tree as a millennium project that toured the nation.
The Tree was taken out of storage and raised on the waterfront here as a special display during the Canada Games.
“It’s getting to be an older Tree and the more it gets moved, the more fragile it becomes,” said Aspin.
“Our next adventure is to build a Tree House so the Canada Tree can be something for all to see.”
Town officials were delighted with the confirmation made at a news conference Tuesday morning when the Aspin family gathered to make the commitment.
The next step is to construct a permanent home that will protect the Canada Tree that will come down in the next few days and
be stored away until a protective structure is completed.
“We are talking with some designers and it won’t be an ordinary building,” said Coun. Janice Taylor.
“We’d like to carry on Tyler’s vision and build a structure comprising of different pieces of wood and materials from all parts of the country.”
Taylor said the Tree House could also be large enough to include a small area that would act as an interpretive centre and enable small gatherings for music and the arts.
“I think this Tree is bringing a real sense of community to this town,” said Taylor.
It’s certainly bringing in the visitors. Since being erected three weeks ago, an estimated 5,000 people have visited the site and Deputy Mayor David Mabon says the spinoff is wonderful.
“People are shopping here and eating in our restaurants,” he said. “It’s just wonderful to have our own attraction and one with such significance as well.”
Tyler attended Montague Regional High School and was a member of a P.E.I. Canada Games team.
He was 31 when he died in 2001 after completing the Tree.
The Aspin family, with son Jason and daughter Meigan, chose to make the announcement on the day the late artist would have turned 40.

braymondg
Jan 16, 2010, 1:21 AM
Charlottetown Update - Project Photos

Hillsborough Waterfront Condos

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/hills.jpg

----
Hillsborough Park Condos

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/hills1.jpg

----

Queen Elizabeth Hospital addition

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/hills2.jpg

----

Holland College Expansion

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/hills3.jpg

----

Parkside

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/hills4.jpg

----

MTLskyline
Jan 16, 2010, 3:59 AM
Thanks for the photos braymondg!

The construction of those condominium buildings strikes me as kind of shoddy. Don't they use cranes or even concrete? Sure, wood is fine for a house, but for a larger building, I'm not so sure.I was under the impression that nearly all condo and institutional buildings are have concrete frames (followed by the exterior material on top), even for low rises.

MonctonRad
Jan 16, 2010, 4:51 AM
Thanks for the photos braymondg!

The construction of those condominium buildings strikes me as kind of shoddy. Don't they use cranes or even concrete? Sure, wood is fine for a house, but for a larger building, I'm not so sure.I was under the impression that nearly all condo and institutional buildings are have concrete frames (followed by the exterior material on top), even for low rises.

Not in the Maritimes!! :(

braymondg
Jan 17, 2010, 2:57 AM
Crane ready for work
Construction of new hotel in Charlottetown

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/CRANE.jpg

A huge crane is used Saturday to hoist the jib to be attached to another even larger crane that will be used in the construction of the 10 storey hotel being built in downtown Charlottetown by Homburg Development. The tower crane is 64.6 meters (212 feet) high, but where the operator works it is 50.9 meters (167 feet) from the hook to the ground. The jib that was being hoisted to the crane weighs 20,000 pounds and that enables it to lift 15,400 pounds. The parts for the tower crane arrived Friday night and were unloaded from trucks and the construction began first thing Saturday morning. Grafton Street from Queen to University was closed except to the transit busses, but everything will be back to normal traffic first thing Monday morning.
16/01/10

MTLskyline
Jan 17, 2010, 6:52 AM
That Homburg project (over the Confederation Court Mall?) is going ahead then? Excellent news!

MTLskyline
Jan 17, 2010, 5:18 PM
This is going to look pretty good when it's done:

http://www.whwarchitects.com/projects/current/confed_court_mall/1.jpg

http://www.whwarchitects.com/projects/current/confed_court_mall/2.jpg

http://www.whwarchitects.com/projects/current/confed_court_mall/3.jpg

http://www.whwarchitects.com/projects/current/confed_court_mall/4.jpg

http://www.whwarchitects.com/projects/current/confed_court_mall/5.jpg

http://www.whwarchitects.com/projects/current/confed_court_mall/6.jpg

http://www.whwarchitects.com/projects/current/confed_court_mall/main.html

braymondg
Jan 18, 2010, 11:40 PM
http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/CRANE2.jpg

A worker reaches out to help guide the jib into place as the tower crane that will be used to build the new 10-storey hotel on Grafton Street in downtown Charlottetown was erected on the weekend. The work went ahead Saturday despite a steady snowfall. It will be on site for six to eight months. The workers are over 50 metres high. Grafton Street was closed to traffic between Queen Street and University Avenue, but reopened late Sunday afternoon.

braymondg
Jan 19, 2010, 3:05 AM
MTLSkyline,

The location of the hotel was changed because of a dispute with the Tweels which owned the Queen St location. That is where the rendering shows it to be that you posted. So Homburg had to move the location to the south side of the Court Mall block facing Grafton St.
The old Holman's building was demolished but the old stone facade was saved to be restored and then will be used in the new hotels facade.
Here is a rendering of the building, albeit not a very good one but it shows the old stone restored in the design and will compliment the streescape.

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/grafton.jpg

Here is a photo looking up Grafton St looking east.

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/115.jpg

The original location would have been left at the traffic light. Presently there is a new building being built in that location which will be a new Shoppers Drug Mart.

mylesmalley
Jan 19, 2010, 3:34 AM
Gotta say, I'm terribly jealous of the developer community you guys have.

braymondg
Jan 30, 2010, 12:02 AM
Proposed Hotel Revealed

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/hotelbanks.jpg

Tim Banks has revealed his new hotel for Charlottetown. The 120 room hotel
is to built at the corner of Queen and Water streets diagonally across from the Delta Hotel. The hotel will use some of the old Kays buildings facade and will rise 6 stories. The bottom four floors will be for the hotel and the fifth floor for apartments and the sixth floor for condos. Marriot and Hilton have expressed interest in branding the hotel.
The construction start date is proposed to be September 2010 and will move quickly in coordination with the building of the new convention centre near by.

pei guy
Jan 30, 2010, 1:47 AM
Proposed Hotel Revealed

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/hotelbanks.jpg

Tim Banks has revealed his new hotel for Charlottetown. The 120 room hotel
is to built at the corner of Queen and Water streets diagonally across from the Delta Hotel. The hotel will use some of the old Kays buildings facade and will rise 6 stories. The bottom four floors will be for the hotel and the fifth floor for apartments and the sixth floor for condos. Marriot and Hilton have expressed interest in branding the hotel.
The construction start date is proposed to be September 2010 and will move quickly in coordination with the building of the new convention centre near by.

This is great for that area of Charlottetown. It will really complement the historic buildings, but the height and design make it really.. well, cool!
I think six stories passes the height restrictions, but rules are made to be broken. I like how they're using the original facade, and can't wait to see some construction! :tup:

MonctonRad
Jan 30, 2010, 1:59 AM

Charlottetown has got to be the most active city in the Maritimes right now for development! :tup:

You guys should do a development compilation list. I did one for Charlottetown a while back when there were no locals keeping the thread active...........it needs to be updated.

BTW, where will the parking be for the new hotel?

MTLskyline
Jan 30, 2010, 2:02 AM
Let's just hope that the materials are going to be good quality. Hopefully the brick will be a little darker then what's in the photo. What is that beige material at the top? Hopefully not prefab concrete.

Design-wise, it's pretty good. It blends in well. It should make downtown Charlottetown much more dense.

braymondg
Feb 1, 2010, 12:08 AM
APM eyes new hotel for Charlottetown

The Guardian

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/tb.jpg

APM CEO Tim Banks holds an artist’s conception of his company’s proposed $22-million development project for downtown Charlottetown that would include a hotel, apartment and condominium units and commercial space.

--------------------------
APM has big plans for a downtown Charlottetown property that housed the Kays Brothers building for 45 years.
Tim Banks, CEO of the construction and property development company, is working to secure a deal to proceed with a $22-million project called the Welsh-Owen Hotel and Plaza Development.
Banks is looking to develop a 120-room hotel, a parking garage with about 63 spaces, 14 fully furnished apartment units and six condominium units.
The property, cornering Queen, Water and King streets, would also house a commercial tenant in a financial institution and likely continue to lease space to the Confederation Bridge.
“Our design here has been done to be consistent with what we believe is the Charlottetown heritage look,’’ said Banks.
“We’ve had a number of people review the plans, including (historian) Catherine Hennessey. We know at some particular point we’ll be going to a public meeting with respect to the property.’’
Banks says the development will be contingent on the province proceeding with a proposed convention centre in the area. Current costing of the project must also come within APM’s original “thumbnail budget.’’
And a detail must be finalized with the Charlottetown Area Development Corporation (CADC), which purchased the Kays Building on Queen Street last year for $750,000 after the wholesale company shut down.
“They’ve (CADC) given us the clear understanding that the property is available subject to them not losing money with respect to the agreement that we have with them,’’ said Banks.
“And the reason we are actually talking (to media) about it today is if somebody has a better idea (for developing the property) they should go to CADC because we are making them a proposal and we believe that our proposal is substantive in nature.
The four-storey building was constructed by a former premier in 1872 and has been home to four Island newspapers, a tobacco manufacturer and even an egg company.
Banks says if the project is given the green light, he will work to get a licensed agreement with a branded hotel group, hopefully Courtyard by Marriott.
He sees a branded hotel, which rewards repeat customers, as a tool that is missing in the capital city’s arsenal for attracting tourists and business visitors.
“I have been consistent and strong in saying that to strengthen tourism in Prince Edward Island, we have to give them a better product at a competitive price, and that is what we are trying to do here,’’ he said.
“Why we are so strong in bringing this product to market is because there has been a void in our market here in terms of a branded hotel.’’
Banks says he wants construction to begin in early September with the hotel opening on July 15, 2011.

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/tb2.jpg

MTLskyline
Feb 1, 2010, 2:30 AM
Quite well situated!

pei guy
Feb 1, 2010, 10:32 PM

Charlottetown has got to be the most active city in the Maritimes right now for development! :tup:

You guys should do a development compilation list. I did one for Charlottetown a while back when there were no locals keeping the thread active...........it needs to be updated.

BTW, where will the parking be for the new hotel?

MonctonRad, I think the parking will be underground, with an entrance right behind the hotel. You can see a car coming out of it in the render. BTW, I heard a rumor that the financial tenant on the ground floor will be H & R Block. :tup:

pei guy
Feb 6, 2010, 9:38 PM
I took some pics of the construction in Montague this morning... enjoy!

Cox & Palmer / Montague Dental Clinic on the waterfront:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peiguy/4335061181/http://www.flickr.com/photos/peiguy/4335079801/

Fisheries Building (just finished):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peiguy/4335821006/

Wellness Centre:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peiguy/4335096215/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peiguy/4335092149/

High School:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peiguy/4335087931/

sorry the pictures dont show up

braymondg
Feb 8, 2010, 12:36 AM
Holland College Expansion Progress

Work continues on the Holland College expansion. This first picture shows the preparation and installation of the footings for the addition to the Glendenning Hall residence.

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/hcsite.jpg

This picture shows the progress of the steel work on the Centre for Applied Science and Technology building. There is a large roof to be installed on top of this frame and will make the buidling rise about 5 stories.

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/hcsite2.jpg

pei guy
Feb 8, 2010, 12:56 AM
Nice pics braymondg! I was just wondering if someone can tell me how to post photos, because mine won't seem to show up... :shrug:

MonctonRad
Feb 8, 2010, 4:02 AM

@pei_guy:

You have to put your pictures on a photo hosting site like Flickr or Photobucket

When you have uploaded your picture onto the hosting site, locate your picture and then right-click on the image to display it's properties(URL). Copy the URL.

Paste the URL onto your post here at SSP. Enclose the URL between the bbCode symbols and .

For example, on one of BraymondG's images above, the property (URL) of the image is http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/hcsite2.jpg (I guess he uploaded his images to pei.sympatico.ca). You have to place this address between and to make the image appear in your post. :tup:

mylesmalley
Feb 9, 2010, 6:42 AM
Looks like just about all of the island is up on google street view now.

Architype
Feb 9, 2010, 8:33 AM
Nice pics braymondg! I was just wondering if someone can tell me how to post photos, because mine won't seem to show up... :shrug:

Maybe this will help. Right-click on your picture on Flickr (select "properties"; that will give you the url), and paste it into SSP using the tags, (including the ".jpg"). Here's one of your pics:

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4335079801_aa624c1b4e.jpg

pei guy
Feb 9, 2010, 12:43 PM
OK, thanks for the advice!
Cox & Palmer building:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4335061181_f6b7513bb0_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4335071255_4242ea143b_b.jpg

Fisheries Building:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4039/4335821006_be7741e95e_b.jpg

Wellness Centre:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2709/4335092149_d2005e5334_b.jpg

High School:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/4335087931_c79923e676_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/4335829580_14f81a29f9_b.jpg

braymondg
Feb 9, 2010, 6:23 PM
Hey! pei_guy,

Way to go! Thanks for the nice pics. Nice to see the building taking place in "Montague the Beautiful".

Oh! by the way. If you ever find your pics a little to big, and I find these are a good size, but if it's huge and you want to
downsize the images, download EZThumbs.

http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/

It's easy to use and it's free!! Gotta like that!
I use it all the time.

I don't know what your using now but the thing I like about EZThumbs is you can do a batch resize. Slick!

I also use Paint Shop Pro or if I can't use either, I will use Outlook Express and email them to myself.

pei guy
Feb 9, 2010, 7:37 PM
Thanks braymondg! A few days ago, I found this on the APM website. It's a planned office building for Water street, next to Founders' Hall:

http://www.apmgroup.com/images/Proposed%20Water%20St.%20Offices.jpg

I think it will look great. Pretty modern, but it will be good to have that on the waterfront. I hope they can make it a bit taller before they get permission from city council. 5 stories with that design would impact the skyline, but it would be even better if it was 8 stories or something. :tup:

josh_cat_eyes
Feb 10, 2010, 4:56 PM
Thanks braymondg! A few days ago, I found this on the APM website. It's a planned office building for Water street, next to Founders' Hall:

http://www.apmgroup.com/images/Proposed%20Water%20St.%20Offices.jpg

I think it will look great. Pretty modern, but it will be good to have that on the waterfront. I hope they can make it a bit taller before they get permission from city council. 5 stories with that design would impact the skyline, but it would be even better if it was 8 stories or something. :tup:

I believe that this was the original location that they wanted to build the APM office building. I don't think that building is going to get built anymore. Tim Banks is pretty good for building stuff ASAP (See new hotel downtown)

braymondg
Feb 10, 2010, 5:29 PM
pei_guy,

your welcome

and

I think josh_cat_eyes is right. The citizens of the Water street area put up a big stink about this building, so Mr. Banks had to find an alternate location. To blow off some steam and to spend that money that was burning a hole in his pocket, he built the APM building on Lwr Malpeque Rd next to the Hyundai dealership.
Now, I don't know if this is the building he intended for his new APM offices, which was supposed to be the building on Water St, but your right about it being a sharp building, and if it was 10 stories it would look like a nice one indeed. pity!!

:)

braymondg
Feb 11, 2010, 12:03 AM
pei_guy,

Here is the building I was referring too.

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/tb3.jpg

However, the building has several tenants and I don't think this was intended to be the new APM offices. There are 150 DVA employees, RCMP and Provincial IT workers located here.
So I think the actual HQ for APM has yet to be built.

braymondg
Feb 11, 2010, 12:03 AM
CHARLOTTETOWN, and most of the Island, is now on Google Maps Streetview. Try it!

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=2prince+st&sll=46.232969,-63.120593&sspn=0.009099,0.022638&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=2+Prince+St,+Charlottetown,+Queens+County,+Prince+Edward+Island&ll=46.237491,-63.120596&spn=0,359.977362&z=16&layer=c&cbll=46.232898,-63.120568&panoid=4fXuUKmoH4kUnG_cSkQ-cw&cbp=13,258.01,,0,-5.92

pei guy
Feb 11, 2010, 2:36 AM
pei_guy,

Here is the building I was referring too.

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/brian.gorveatt/public_html/images/tb3.jpg

However, the building has several tenants and I don't think this was intended to be the new APM offices. There are 150 DVA employees, RCMP and Provincial IT workers located here.
So I think the actual HQ for APM has yet to be built.

I didn't think the Lower Malpeque building was all their employees. The giant APM sign makes that very clear. :koko: I wonder where they'll build the HQ... that will be another project soon enough. I think the old Dominion building on Queen street (if renovated big-time) would make a good spot. But knowing them, it will be built on land that APM owns.

josh_cat_eyes
Feb 12, 2010, 12:41 AM
I didn't think the Lower Malpeque building was all their employees. The giant APM sign makes that very clear. :koko: I wonder where they'll build the HQ... that will be another project soon enough. I think the old Dominion building on Queen street (if renovated big-time) would make a good spot. But knowing them, it will be built on land that APM owns.

I thought that it was the HQ...but don't they just have like regional offices instead...?

braymondg
Feb 12, 2010, 6:43 PM
josh_cats_eyes,

I work within close proximity to this building. I know a few IT friends who work there, and they said the building has a lot of DVA
(150 employees), RCMP and their IT departments in the building. Ya know, this very well could then be a regional office, and thats all it would be considering the room that would be left for APM. I could be wrong, but they say it's is crammed to the limits. That's certainly evident with the amount of cars in the parking lot in the morning.

I'll try to find out more.

braymondg
Feb 18, 2010, 2:32 AM
Josh_cat_eyes,

I was right on the DVA and others. In fact, I always thought the building would be used exclusively for APM but that wasn't to be the case.

Here is exerpt from The Guardian, http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.cfm?sid=60428&sc=98

The Guardian has learned Veterans Affairs will relocate its information technology division from the Daniel J. MacDonald Building on Grafton Street to a new, three-and-a-half storey office building to be built in West Royalty. Up to 150 people could be relocated.
Another 50 workers in the record's division are also being moved.

Along with the RCMP and provincial workers it wouldn't leave APM much room for a regional office. Maybe they don't need much room but I don't see any indication they will be building a new building for an exclusive regional office any time soon.

Case closed, lol.

MTLskyline
Feb 19, 2010, 1:07 AM
I don't see this suburban sprawl as a good thing. Charlottetown should be trying to keep as many people as possible working downtown.

MonctonRad
Feb 19, 2010, 1:17 AM
I don't see this suburban sprawl as a good thing. Charlottetown should be trying to keep as many people as possible working downtown.

Yes, don't catch the Moncton disease. :(

pei guy
Feb 21, 2010, 2:56 AM
:previous: Haha! I hope not. But with all the new construction downtown, one office building in West Royalty probably won't change much. We should still be careful though, with retail development on University Ave from downtown all the way to Winsloe. :tup:

pei guy
Feb 23, 2010, 8:09 PM
I thought that now would be a good time to make a compilation of all the construction or planned buildings in Charlottetown. Here goes:
-10-storey Homburg hotel
-8-storey Fitzroy office building (opening any week now)
-3-storey Queen street townhouses (almost done)
-5-storey Richmond / Rochford street condos
-3-storey waterfront condos
-6-storey APM hotel/condos
-Holland College: Centre for Applied Sciences & Technology (5 stories), Glendenning Hall (3 stories), Centre for Community Engagement (2 stories, and if you're wondering it's a gym/athletics building)
-QEH expansion
-New shopping centre
-New Shoppers Drug Mart downtown
-Hillsborough Park condos
-Roundabouts/highway expansion
Any others? :tup:

braymondg
Feb 24, 2010, 7:32 PM
Riverside Drive plans unveiled

The Guardian

Plans for Riverside Drive in Charlottetown include four lanes, two modern roundabouts, a median along the whole length, no bicycles and uncertainly about a sidewalk, a public meeting heard Tuesday.

The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal hosted the open meeting in Charlottetown to show plans for the proposed $5 million project.
Funding will be shared with the federal government with the hope that ground will be broken in May with work completed by Dec. 31 this year.
Riverside Drive runs from the west end of the Hillsborough Bridge along the water’s edge to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. It is part of the perimeter highway.
From the Sears intersection to the QEH the perimeter highway is now four lanes. This next phase completes that pattern to the bridge, says the department.
It decided that circular intersections are the best and safest option for roads that intersect Riverside Drive. The department does not like the term rotary intersection.
“A modern roundabout is different from a rotary,” said Darrell Evans with the provincial department.
These roundabouts will be two lanes and be some 60 meters in diameter, compared with the smaller roundabout in Summerside.
A roundabout reduces the opportunities for collision compared to a traffic-lighted intersection, said Evans. Any accidents that do happen are much less severe on a roundabout compared to traffic-light intersections, he said.
The province will purchase land wide enough to allow for sidewalks and it will drop the curb where pedestrian crossings are planned, but the city will be responsible for installing sidewalks, the meeting was told.
Charlottetown City Councillors Mitchell Tweel, Danny Redmond and Melissa Hilton were at the meeting but said funding for this sidewalk project is a matter for upcoming discussion at council.
A source at the meeting who asked not to be named said a sidewalk project for Riverside drive would likely cost about $250,000 and that federal programs are either closed or not available for projects that begin this summer.
No one at the meeting could say why the city was not running parallel applications for federal sidewalk funding to match the timeline of the Riverside Drive upgrade.
Redmond said the sidewalk should go ahead even without federal help. He and the other city councillors again stressed that the city’s budget process is still underway and Redmond is confident money for the sidewalk will be found.
“I agree 100 percent with the city councillors that the sidewalk is a great idea,” said cabinet minister Richard Brown, MLA for part of the Riverside Drive area. “I’m willing to work with the city in any way I can.”
Bicycling will not be in the picture for the road.
“Typically we don’t think cyclists should navigate roundabouts,” said Evans.
Not welcome on the four-lane road and not permitted on sidewalks, no other provisions for cyclists have been made.
“Unfortunately we are somewhat constrained in terms of land,” said Evans.
For businesses the roundabout offers an option not available with traffic lights.
It would not be safe for cars to try and turn left across two or three lanes of traffic into or out of a business, said Evans.
With a roundabout, vehicles can go past the destination, travel around the full circle of the next roundabout to end up driving on the opposite side of the median with a safe right turn into the business.
The roundabouts are now planned for just a bit south of the present intersection with Exhibition Drive, and a new configuration by the waste plant.
Garfield will be closed off but Walker Drive will be extended between the medial clinic and the liquor commission warehouse. Walker drive extension will become the new intersection wit Riverside Drive, lined up with the entrance to the waste plant.

braymondg
Feb 25, 2010, 1:09 AM
pei_guy,

A couple of more come to mind,

The BioScience Park to be built on the Upton property and the new Prince Edward Home at Beach Grove.

pei guy
Feb 25, 2010, 2:31 AM
Yeah, i forgot about those. The bioscience park will be great for that area of the city! I hope if it will have some interesting buildings...
Good to hear about the Riverside drive update, but I don't know if those roundabouts be too close together? Otherwise it sounds good. :tup:

josh_cat_eyes
Feb 25, 2010, 5:34 AM
Riverside Drive plans unveiled

The Guardian

Plans for Riverside Drive in Charlottetown include four lanes, two modern roundabouts, a median along the whole length, no bicycles and uncertainly about a sidewalk, a public meeting heard Tuesday.

The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal hosted the open meeting in Charlottetown to show plans for the proposed $5 million project.
Funding will be shared with the federal government with the hope that ground will be broken in May with work completed by Dec. 31 this year.
Riverside Drive runs from the west end of the Hillsborough Bridge along the water’s edge to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. It is part of the perimeter highway.
From the Sears intersection to the QEH the perimeter highway is now four lanes. This next phase completes that pattern to the bridge, says the department.
It decided that circular intersections are the best and safest option for roads that intersect Riverside Drive. The department does not like the term rotary intersection.
“A modern roundabout is different from a rotary,” said Darrell Evans with the provincial department.
These roundabouts will be two lanes and be some 60 meters in diameter, compared with the smaller roundabout in Summerside.
A roundabout reduces the opportunities for collision compared to a traffic-lighted intersection, said Evans. Any accidents that do happen are much less severe on a roundabout compared to traffic-light intersections, he said.
The province will purchase land wide enough to allow for sidewalks and it will drop the curb where pedestrian crossings are planned, but the city will be responsible for installing sidewalks, the meeting was told.
Charlottetown City Councillors Mitchell Tweel, Danny Redmond and Melissa Hilton were at the meeting but said funding for this sidewalk project is a matter for upcoming discussion at council.
A source at the meeting who asked not to be named said a sidewalk project for Riverside drive would likely cost about $250,000 and that federal programs are either closed or not available for projects that begin this summer.
No one at the meeting could say why the city was not running parallel applications for federal sidewalk funding to match the timeline of the Riverside Drive upgrade.
Redmond said the sidewalk should go ahead even without federal help. He and the other city councillors again stressed that the city’s budget process is still underway and Redmond is confident money for the sidewalk will be found.
“I agree 100 percent with the city councillors that the sidewalk is a great idea,” said cabinet minister Richard Brown, MLA for part of the Riverside Drive area. “I’m willing to work with the city in any way I can.”
Bicycling will not be in the picture for the road.
“Typically we don’t think cyclists should navigate roundabouts,” said Evans.
Not welcome on the four-lane road and not permitted on sidewalks, no other provisions for cyclists have been made.
“Unfortunately we are somewhat constrained in terms of land,” said Evans.
For businesses the roundabout offers an option not available with traffic lights.
It would not be safe for cars to try and turn left across two or three lanes of traffic into or out of a business, said Evans.
With a roundabout, vehicles can go past the destination, travel around the full circle of the next roundabout to end up driving on the opposite side of the median with a safe right turn into the business.
The roundabouts are now planned for just a bit south of the present intersection with Exhibition Drive, and a new configuration by the waste plant.
Garfield will be closed off but Walker Drive will be extended between the medial clinic and the liquor commission warehouse. Walker drive extension will become the new intersection wit Riverside Drive, lined up with the entrance to the waste plant.

I love it!!! I never thought I'd like it, but the thing the entire Charlottetown bypass needs is a median along the whole length of it. The area from the traffic lights at st.Peters Road to the overpass is divided and it actually becomes the first "4 lane divided highway" in PEI history. It makes me mad that they didn't keep it divided.

Also in terms of having roundabouts, they should add another one at the current set of lights at the bridge. Also, putting a median on the bridge would be a nice addition as well. Looking back, I'm not kind of thinking they should have put one at "Peter Pan" rather that a set of lights. They could have used the median too because like the article stated, you can pass the destination and then go around onto the other side of the median at the roundabout.

braymondg
Feb 26, 2010, 3:01 PM
josh_ca_eyes,

I agree that they should have done the Peter Pan corner better with a large roundabout. But the lights are there, and it obviously will be there for awhile, unfortunately. One big thing that I really think is lacking here in Charlottetown is adaquate signage. There are no large overhead signs to tell you where to go. Not that I need to be told where to go (lol) but if your someone from away it's a nightmare. Not everyone has GPS in their cars.

Prime example, North River Causeway coming into Charlottetown. There are six small signs telling you that the bypass, Charlottetown, Stratford, etc are ahead. This is a 4 lane highway and really who has time to read them all. Another is the Peter Pan intersection. Heading towards the city centre. There is a smal 24"x24" sign telling you the right lane to Charlottetown city centre, in fact it says "University Ave". How many times have I seen out of province cars turn right at the lights when they are supposed to use the merge lane before the intersection. That's because they missed the sign.
I can think of multiple places that require overhead signs. Is it because of funding or is it just poor planning, or what?
Go to Summerside and they have wonderful overhead signs telling you where to go, all over the place, and they don't have 1/5th the traffic we have. I hope this soon changes. As a tourist it must be confusing.

With all these ideas of roundabouts and road improvements in Charlottetown they had better make it easy to know where you are going or else you will driving around in circles for awhile.
All I'm really saying is, in all my travels, throughout Canada and the US, Charlottetown has the worst signage anywhere. I believe most would agree.

:(