PDA

View Full Version : I-185 Extension from Columbus,GA to Monticello, FL ??

16click
Dec 7, 2006, 5:10 AM
I found this in my hometown newspaper. Southwest Georgia is considering a proposal to the state of Georgia for the extension of I-185 which currently ends at Ft. Benning in Columbus, GA to Albany, Camilla, and Thomasville GA connecting with I-10 in Monticello, FL. Hope this happens in the near future to cut my travel time from Thomasville to Atlanta. I guess we can expect to hear more of this in the future. http://www.timesenterprise.com/local/local_story_333004246.html

i-215
Dec 7, 2006, 5:43 AM
Looks good! I'd say it'd be good for growth in the area. Let the pavement roll!

Newnan_Eric
Dec 7, 2006, 3:38 PM
As good as this road would be for bringing more development to these areas, I don't really see that it is needed. Hwy 280/520 and Hwy 300 are already excellent 4-lane roads that are little used. There just isn't that much demand for it.

I would think it would make more sense to extend I-185 on a more Southwestern route through Eufala and Dothan and connect to I-10 over in the panhandle. This would ease congestion for those traveling to Panama City, Destin, and other redneck riviera locales.

(BTW, I can sympathize with your desire to create an easier route to Atlanta, but this project smells of pork.)

BnaBreaker
Dec 7, 2006, 5:14 PM
Ohhh south, when will you learn? :(

DBR96A
Dec 9, 2006, 7:14 AM
I'd like to see I-175 built from Corrdele to Albany and Thomasville, and end at I-10 in Tallahassee.

As for I-185, cross it into Alabama, and take it down to Dothan and then into Florida, where it would end near Panama City. To me, there's no excuse for Panama City Beach or Myrtle Beach not to have direct Interstate access.

Another project I'd like to see: I-785 (the upgrading of GA 316). My proposal is as follows...

- Controlled-access for its entire length
- Four lanes in each direction between I-85 and Harbins Road (near Dacula)
- Three lanes in each direction between Harbins Road and the Oconee Connector
- Four lanes in each direction between the Oconee Connector and the Athens Perimeter
- New "flyover" interchange between I-785 and the Athens Perimeter
- Three lanes in each direction on the Athens Perimeter between I-785 and U.S. 78 "east" (Lexington Road)

I even have the exit guide outlined...

I-785 EASTBOUND

EXIT 0 - Boggs Road
EXIT 2 - Sugarloaf Parkway
(Discover Mills)
EXIT 4 - Riverside Drive
EXIT 5 - GA 120: Duluth/Lawrenceville
EXIT 7 - To GA 20/GA 124: Collins Hill Road/Buford
(Mall of Georgia)
EXIT 9 - Cedars Road
EXIT 11 - U.S. 29 South/GA 8 West: Dacula/Lawrenceville
EXIT 13 - Harbins Road/Dacula
EXIT 15 - Drowning Creek Road
EXIT 17 - Kilcrease Road
(Auburn/Carl)
EXIT 18 - Patrick Mill Road
EXIT 20 - GA 81: Winder/Loganville
(Fort Yargo State Park)
EXIT 22 - GA 11: Winder/Monroe
EXIT 25 - GA 53: Winder/Watkinsville
EXIT 29 - GA 211 North: Statham
EXIT 31 - Craft Road
EXIT 33 - McNutt Creek Road/Bogart
EXIT 35 - Business U.S. 78 East/U.S. 78 West/GA 10: Bogart/Monroe
EXIT 37 - Jimmy Daniel Road
EXIT 38 - Oconee Connector/Watkinsville
EXIT 39 - U.S. 29 North/U.S. 78 East/Loop GA 10/GA 8 East (ATHENS PERIMETER): Athens/University of Georgia
(To U.S. 129/U.S. 441/GA 15)
(Epps Bridge Parkway: USE THRU LANES)

I-785 WESTBOUND

EXIT 38 - Oconee Connector/Watkinsville
EXIT 37 - Jimmy Daniel Road
EXIT 35 - U.S. 78 West/Business U.S. 78 East/GA 10: Monroe/Bogart
EXIT 33 - McNutt Creek Road/Bogart
EXIT 31 - Craft Road
EXIT 29 - GA 211 North: Statham
EXIT 25 - GA 53: Watkinsville/Winder
EXIT 22 - GA 11: Monroe/Winder
EXIT 20 - GA 81: Loganville/Winder
(Fort Yargo State Park)
EXIT 18 - Patrick Mill Road
EXIT 17 - Kilcrease Road
(Auburn/Carl)
EXIT 15 - Drowning Creek Road
EXIT 13 - Harbins Road/Dacula
EXIT 11 - U.S. 29 South/GA 8 West: Lawrenceville/Dacula
EXIT 9 - Cedars Road
EXIT 7 - GA 20/GA 124: Lawrenceville/Buford
(Mall of Georgia/Collins Hill Road)
EXIT 5 - GA 120: Lawrenceville/Duluth
EXIT 4 - Riverside Drive
EXIT 2 - Sugarloaf Parkway
(Discover Mills)
EXIT 0 - Boggs Road

All the Georgians in the hizzee let me know what you think. :)

atlantaguy
Dec 9, 2006, 2:31 PM
Ohhh south, when will you learn? :(

This isn't a southern thing. The two states you spend most of your time in are just as guilty of this crap.

zaphod
Dec 9, 2006, 4:12 PM
Neat, I used to live in thomasville
(okay to be honest I thought it was a dump lol)

Ohhh south, when will you learn?

what? most of those places are already oriented around major roads and areas that arent are well established, this would be a needed upgrade.

Anyways did they ever 4 lane 319 or whatever down to tallahasee yet? I remember it narrowing down right at the state line. Which was funny because the georgia was pretty rural but the florida side was starting to see some sprawl

BnaBreaker
Dec 9, 2006, 5:31 PM
This isn't a southern thing. The two states you spend most of your time in are just as guilty of this crap.

Easy tiger, I didn't say that it was. Both Georgia and Florida, which this thread focuses on, are in the south however.

village person
Dec 11, 2006, 4:05 PM
I really don't see the need for this. A north-south route that close to I-75? And it seems so... intra-state. Very few people would benefit from it, especially outside of GA or the FL panhandle.

I'd rather see these:

Montgomery--Dothan--Tallahassee (especially because of I-22: Memphis--Birmingham)
Meridian--Montgomery--Columbus--Macon--Augusta

16click
Dec 11, 2006, 5:57 PM
I really don't see the need for this. A north-south route that close to I-75? And it seems so... intra-state. Very few people would benefit from it, especially outside of GA or the FL panhandle.

It is intended to relieve traffic from the crowded I-75. I-75 encompasses at least six lanes throughout most of the state of Georgia. In places where there are four lanes they are being expanded to six (in South Georgia) so in the next year or two the whole interstate wil be six lanes throughout Georgia. I can't recall any states I've driven through with six lane roadways throughout the whole state. And don't forget that I-95 is crowded also especially during the summer with folks traveling to Florida.

Although it may not follow the intended route from Columbus to Monticello, I-185 needs to be extended for another North-South route to Florida.

village person
Dec 11, 2006, 11:29 PM
When I lived in Jacksonville, I had to use either 95 or 75 to get anywhere! They're not that bad. Who ever thought that with the ever-increasing use of the automobile that all rural interstates would remain 4 lanes? I think we'll see a lot more 6-lane rural interstates someday, and then it won't be a big deal. I don't think we should build parallel interstates just 30 miles apart! If we've reached that point, it's time to reconsider the interstate system.

Why Monticello? Why east of Tallahassee period? If it's just going to dump travelers onto I-10 and back to I-75, I don't see the point. And for the panhandle, it's almost as indirect as I-75. As others have said, a more SW direction would be better for traffic between Atlanta and the Redneck Riviera. So, if this is really about Columbus, Albany, and Thomasville, do they even generate enough traffic on I-75 to warrant such a route? Who would go over to I-75 to get from Columbus to Thomasville?

This is just very odd to me. 30 miles west of I-75. :shrug: