PDA

View Full Version : Aerial Los Angeles

Patrick
Dec 25, 2006, 9:43 PM
Ok, Windows Live Local's Bird's Eye Images are amazing, but you never really get to see the WHOLE thing.

These are stitched together Birds Eye View pictures of Los Angeles, I'll post a few at a time, since they take a while to put together.

I'll do more cities soon :)

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1513/picyr0.jpg

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/3377/picsc2.jpg

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/6104/pichj0.jpg

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7129/picyn0.jpg

http://img273.imageshack.us/img273/4880/picdf5.jpg

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3896/picfj5.jpg

LosAngelesSportsFan
Dec 26, 2006, 12:34 AM
very cool, and pretty recent too!

Jularc
Dec 26, 2006, 12:39 AM
Those are nice L.A. aerials!

very cool, and pretty recent too!

How recent is that do you think? Months ago or a year ago?

SunMonTueWedThuFriSa
Dec 26, 2006, 3:49 AM
Nice parking lots. However where you see parking lots, I see potential!

Urban Zombie
Dec 26, 2006, 3:52 AM
^Looks like they're filling in pretty quickly--thankfully!

zerokarma
Dec 26, 2006, 4:42 AM
Great pictures

ferneynism2
Dec 26, 2006, 6:28 AM
Nice Pix!!!

RAlossi
Dec 26, 2006, 3:35 PM
This was probably a year or so ago, maybe a bit more. You can tell because Vero on Wilshire is just rising, and so is the Visconti (?) on 3rd/Bixel. LA Live had just broken ground, and the Ambassador looks like it had just been demolished. (The Franklin Avenue blog had excellent coverage with photos of the last days of the Ambassador here: http://www.ambassadorhotel.blogspot.com/ )

Most of the parking lots in Downtown proper have plans for projects on them (or have already broken ground!). Though Bunker Hill does remind me of Downtown Houston (seriously though, it does) because of its relative lack of density in the scrapers. I mean the space between them, not the height. There's so much tower potential in the Bunker Hill area.

Nice to see that the FiDi has some decent, consistent density that kind of dissipates once you get to about 8th, but only getting denser as of late with all the South/LA Live projects!

P.S., the Convention Center should have solar panels on its roof. And they need to add a building or something along the western portion of the site to make it more interesting for convention-goers. As it is now, the view is pretty dreary between the Concourse and the 110.

Amanita
Dec 26, 2006, 3:59 PM
Love the pics, downtown LA is awesome:)

LosAngelesSportsFan
Dec 26, 2006, 8:03 PM
Those are nice L.A. aerials!

How recent is that do you think? Months ago or a year ago?

i would say about a year ago, judging by the LA Live site.

SunMonTueWedThuFriSa
Dec 26, 2006, 11:50 PM
Is it me or did PAtrick just become a moderator

Ex-Ithacan
Dec 27, 2006, 12:25 AM
Aerials are always fun. Thanks Patrick.

Patrick
Dec 27, 2006, 4:02 AM
Is it me or did PAtrick just become a moderator

Since when was I a moderator? But I think I should be on the SSP Approval Committee. After all, I am in 2nd place for Most Primary Drawings, Most Buildings by Illustrator, in 3rd place for most drawings. Last I remember I was the 3rd busiest editor, and I've been around SSP since 2002, but has been a lurker since the website was launched.

Jeeze I sound like a nerd, but you know, Just Sayin :P

I'll post more aerials soon, when I find the time :)

Orishas
Dec 27, 2006, 5:04 PM
parking lots, -,-

JRinSoCal
Dec 27, 2006, 5:20 PM
^Um yeah, every city has em.

And like AntonAusTirol said, they're filling up very quickly.

Quixote
Dec 27, 2006, 8:35 PM
parking lots, -,-

No, ya think?

Los Angeles still maintains its position as being the densest metro in the country.

Buck
Dec 27, 2006, 8:41 PM
Great shots. Downtown LA is very... clean.

Orishas
Dec 27, 2006, 9:57 PM
^Um yeah, every city has em.

And like AntonAusTirol said, they're filling up very quickly.

yeah but parking lots like these in the middle of the city is just ugly and should'nt exist. never seen that in any major european city.

Quixote
Dec 27, 2006, 10:18 PM
^European cities are not as car-oriented as LA. They were built ages ago using an entirely different model before the automobile even existed.

DJM19
Dec 27, 2006, 10:31 PM
yeah but parking lots like these in the middle of the city is just ugly and should'nt exist. never seen that in any major european city.

Europe and America are two different animals.

SunMonTueWedThuFriSa
Dec 27, 2006, 10:35 PM
note: i'd say 10% of those parking lots are marked for proposed development with a 1 in 100 chance of being built. you LA forumers need to stop leaving the wrong impression to impress other forumers here. "most dense metro" is such a decieving statistic.

JRinSoCal
Dec 27, 2006, 10:52 PM
^Well forgive us LA forumers for being so optimistic about our city.

A significant amount of deadzone parking lots have already been developed or are currently in the construction process. Nobody said it would happen over night. But it IS happening.

dktshb
Dec 27, 2006, 11:21 PM
note: i'd say 10% of those parking lots are marked for proposed development with a 1 in 100 chance of being built. you LA forumers need to stop leaving the wrong impression to impress other forumers here. "most dense metro" is such a decieving statistic.
How is that deceiving when it's true? :rolleyes: Yep there are areas of parking lots which are :yuck: just like in most US cities. Probably a little harder to find in Manhattan and SF but you don't have to look hard in any other US city. Most of LA is built out though so I think the odds are a little better that more of those parking lots will fill up than you indicate. Only a few blocks southeast of where these photos are taken is LA's historic core which is pretty dense.

Great pictures.

Quixote
Dec 28, 2006, 2:19 AM
"most dense metro" is such a decieving statistic.

WRONG! You need to educate yourself before you speak. LA REALLY IS the densest metro in the US. It's a fact. Perception vs. Reality; they're two very different things. Look at the freakin' facts!

excel
Dec 28, 2006, 2:37 AM
Nice arials

UncleRando
Dec 28, 2006, 4:41 AM
Great shots. Downtown LA is very... clean.

"You know, they say the smog is what gives LA its beautiful sunsets."

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

SunMonTueWedThuFriSa
Dec 28, 2006, 4:44 AM
WRONG! You need to educate yourself before you speak. LA REALLY IS the densest metro in the US. It's a fact. Perception vs. Reality; they're two very different things. Look at the freakin' facts!

I never said it wasn't the most dense metro. When I say deceptive is because boosters like to bring up that fact to give the wrongful impression to others that LA is more like Tokyo and less like Houston when it the truth is the other way around.

mSeattle
Dec 28, 2006, 4:58 AM
Nice aerials.

Buckeye Native 001
Dec 28, 2006, 8:08 AM
Its not smog, its the marine layer goddammit!

;)

dktshb
Dec 28, 2006, 3:19 PM
I never said it wasn't the most dense metro. When I say deceptive is because boosters like to bring up that fact to give the wrongful impression to others that LA is more like Tokyo and less like Houston when it the truth is the other way around.

Dude: Los Angeles is its own entity not anything like either of those cities. You seem to be the one drawing comparrisons. Let it go and just enjoy the pictures or start a thread on the city discussion forum about how the World has a misconception about LA because of the LA area forumers.

ferneynism2
Dec 29, 2006, 2:49 AM

^^ You don't have too rude about it!!!! :hell:

Quixote
Dec 29, 2006, 2:56 AM
^Ahh Ferney, I was hoping you would just stay at SSC. Oh well...

P.S., you spelled Angeleno wrong. ;)

Complex01
Dec 29, 2006, 5:36 PM
Very nice. I will be seeing that this weekend. I am heading to LA for New Years, how fun. Cant wait...

:cheers:

panapty
Dec 29, 2006, 6:47 PM
hey , great, great, great :tup:

jessie_sanchez
Dec 29, 2006, 6:59 PM
Very nice. I will be seeing that this weekend. I am heading to LA for New Years, how fun. Cant wait...

:cheers:

Hate to say it, but the New Year's scene in LA isn't all that. It's very low key compared to other cities.

Vegas on the other hand...well...it ranked higher than Times Square as the place to be for New Year's.

JRinSoCal
Dec 29, 2006, 8:07 PM
^That's something I've never been able to understand about LA. For a city that loves to party so much and calls itself the entertainment capital, you would think LA would have a New Year's event that on par with Times Squares. We are so good at televising world class celebrations from around the world yet we as a world class city can't come up with our very own. And don't even get me started on the 2000 Hollywood sign lighting cus that shit was just embarrassing!

DJM19
Dec 29, 2006, 11:04 PM
LA is more of a throw-your-own-party town. There are tons of parties, go to any bar or club and it will be packed.

Visiteur
Dec 29, 2006, 11:33 PM
Whenever I look at pictures like these, I always wonder if that'swhat the next version of simcity is going to look like:P .

Alibaba
Dec 30, 2006, 1:39 AM
very nice... come to aust to take some photos like that...

thanks for sharing... yeah it looks very clean...