PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : English Language jobs in Montreal

miketoronto
Jan 4, 2007, 3:36 AM
I got a question for you Montreal/Quebec people.

Is it possible to find jobs in Montreal that are English language, and don't require you to know French????

My friend and I really want to learn French. We have started by taking a course here in Toronto at the college.

We are far from being able to converse fully in French yet. But we feel it would be better to just go somewhere like Montreal and surrounded ourselves in the language. But untill we fully know French, we would not be able to work in a French Language job.

So I was just wondering. Do places like the west island say have English only jobs?

Any info would be great.

Kilgore Trout
Jan 4, 2007, 4:30 AM
if you're here studying french you should be able to find at least an entry-level retail job. i know a number of people who speak pretty basic french who work in the service sector. keep in mind that in many downtown stores, especially around concordia, a large majority of customers speak english. not only that, but at many stores, most employees and managers are anglophone and the behind-the-counter business is done mostly in english.

of course, i don't meant to downplay the fact that you will be speaking a fair amount of french on the job --- but if you're studying french during the day, that only means you'll be fluent in far less time than if you stuck only to the classroom. finding a job while you study is actually the best thing you can do to improve your french.

malek
Jan 4, 2007, 2:33 PM
miketoronto in which sector do you plan working in?

miketoronto --> mikemontreal?

PhilippeMtl
Jan 4, 2007, 3:09 PM
I got a question for you Montreal/Quebec people.

Is it possible to find jobs in Montreal that are English language, and don't require you to know French????

My friend and I really want to learn French. We have started by taking a course here in Toronto at the college.

We are far from being able to converse fully in French yet. But we feel it would be better to just go somewhere like Montreal and surrounded ourselves in the language. But untill we fully know French, we would not be able to work in a French Language job.

So I was just wondering. Do places like the west island say have English only jobs?

Any info would be great.

I had a job (15$/h) when I was a student where french was not a necessity (some unilingual english speakers) so you can easily find this kind of place...

elsonic
Jan 4, 2007, 3:18 PM
if you work with the public (service or retail), you are required to speak a basic French, even if you work west of the West Island.

malek
Jan 4, 2007, 3:31 PM
If you don't mind working at call centers, you can easily find a job paying 13-14 $ and up.

harls
Jan 4, 2007, 4:22 PM
A forumer from Winnipeg (Pootkao) moved to Montreal last summer and didn't speak a lick of French.. he got a job at a restaurant on de la Montagne I believe.

When I moved to Montreal in 2001, I got a job where it was 50/50 French and English. I learned more French outside of work than at it.

Taller Better
Jan 5, 2007, 4:59 AM
If you are a person of even average intelligence, and have a will to succeed, you should be able to gain a working knowledge of French before you actually move to Montreal. It will require some work and will not just pop out of heaven, but at some point you will have to bite the bullet and study the language if you want to learn it properly, and sound like an intelligent person. If perchance you managed to find an English speaking job in an area that is predominantly English speaking, in Montreal, you will likely become ghettoized and not properly learn French. That can easily happen, and there are many people in Montreal who do not speak French. Did you know that Mordecai Richler was born, raised, and died in Montreal, and never learned French? Sad but true.

I say get a good Berlitz course, watch French language television, and converse as often as possible with friends who speak French. Or perhaps sign up for one of those French Immersion courses for adults in places like Trois Pistoles... if you leave it til you move to Montreal you will be limiting your opportunities.

miketoronto
Jan 5, 2007, 5:16 AM
That is true taller better.

My friend and I did take a french course in college(it just ended last month). Its just so hard though with it being only one day a week.

I am listening to French radio, but its just not sticking. I am picking up words here and there, but not a ton.

I guess it just takes time.

Kilgore Trout
Jan 5, 2007, 5:22 AM
If you are a person of even average intelligence, and have a will to succeed, you should be able to gain a working knowledge of French before you actually move to Montreal. It will require some work and will not just pop out of heaven, but at some point you will have to bite the bullet and study the language if you want to learn it properly, and sound like an intelligent person. If perchance you managed to find an English speaking job in an area that is predominantly English speaking, in Montreal, you will likely become ghettoized and not properly learn French. That can easily happen, and there are many people in Montreal who do not speak French. Did you know that Mordecai Richler was born, raised, and died in Montreal, and never learned French? Sad but true.

I say get a good Berlitz course, watch French language television, and converse as often as possible with friends who speak French. Or perhaps sign up for one of those French Immersion courses for adults in places like Trois Pistoles... if you leave it til you move to Montreal you will be limiting your opportunities.

nobody will learn french simply by living in montreal, but i was under the impression that mike's intention would be to study french here. if that's the case, i can't see how studying french in toronto would be even half as effective as studying french in montreal.

i agree that the key, of course, is to actually study the language and not simply try to absorb it.

malek
Jan 5, 2007, 5:25 AM
watch the news on radio canada, at least you'll have an idea of what they're talking about.

you can also check french websites like www.cyberpresse.ca or www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles

niwell
Jan 5, 2007, 8:00 AM
If you don't mind working at call centers, you can easily find a job paying 13-14 $ and up.

True. I've had a number of anglo friends and aquaintances get jobs at call centres. Not the best work, but better then nothing.

Kilgore Trout
Jan 5, 2007, 8:12 AM
the trick is finding a job in a reputable call centre. i've had friends work at places like the toys-r-us customer service centre but also in boiler rooms where they swindled americans into buying overpriced crap.

MolsonExport
Jan 5, 2007, 2:23 PM
There are jobs-a-plenty in the hospitality industry in Montreal (hotels, restaurants, and bars), even for English-only speakers. Knowledge of French (Even if somewhat 'halting') is always a tremendous asset (and to be truthful, essential for about 80% of the jobs in the city). The fortunate thing is that, if you work at it, a basic command of the French language can be had in a rather short period of time (witness Harls!). The problem about Montreal, is that it is (downtown, and Western areas) just as English as French, so it is easy to get off remaining unilingually English. Try to immerse yourself as much as possible in the French-Canadian (or Quebecois) culture...it is a wonderful experience. Hang out on Rue St. Denis (instead of Crescent Street); spend the day in Vieux-Montreal (instead of the shopping areas off of Rue Ste. Catherine). Get an apartment in the Plateau-Mont-Royale, instead of NDG (Notre-Dame-de-Grace...which, despite the French name, is one of the most 'English' places in Canada).

Taller Better
Jan 5, 2007, 3:26 PM
But beware the trap of ghettoizing yourself in an English enclave. I have friends from Italy and Poland, who when they moved to Canada refused to live in either the Italian quarter, or the Polish area of Toronto as they did not want to rely on that crutch. The fastest way to learn it is by being forced to use French on a daily basis, along with your language studies. The desire to learn a language comes from within. If you really want to learn the language, you will get a good basis of it here in Toronto before you move. Your life will be much, much simpler if you do it that way! There are lots of free courses available for learning French. I took some once and they really helped. High School French was not much of a help because at that time I didn't have any desire to really learn it.

harls
Jan 5, 2007, 3:52 PM
^ Agreed. Put yourself into a majority french speaking neighbourhood if you want to learn it fast. The first place I lived in Montreal was the Latin Quarter, and it was great. Moving to the West Island or parts of NDG wouldn't help you out at all because you'd be more inclined to use english.. overhearing it in coffeeshops, at the checkout counter, etc. I had a friend that moved to NDG from Winnipeg because she was 'too afraid' to move into a part of the city where 'no-one spoke english'. To me, that's just plain silly.

habsfan
Jan 5, 2007, 4:45 PM
talking about pootkao, where is he? anyone heard from him lately?

Kilgore Trout
Jan 5, 2007, 5:11 PM
talking about pootkao, where is he? anyone heard from him lately?

last i heard he had temporarily moved back to winnipeg to produce an album or something...

But beware the trap of ghettoizing yourself in an English enclave.

yeah, living in NDG or snowdon or westmount wouldn't do mike much good. but honestly, most of the central neighbourhoods -- downtown, the mcgill ghetto, the western plateau and mile end -- are really very anglophone. i often hear more english on the 80 bus than french.

pretty much anything east of st. denis is where you would want to live if you want to truly immerse yourself in french.