PDA

View Full Version : Library Blocks vote

alphawolf
Jan 6, 2007, 4:32 AM
Which of the following designs would you prefer for this site.

1. Mark Rivers' plan (one 8 story 245,000sqft, 218 units)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f171/alphawolf256/Rivers.jpg

2. Hosac's plan (one 13 story & one 7 story with a combined 347,000sqft, 234 units combined)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f171/alphawolf256/Hosac.jpg

el conquistador
Jan 6, 2007, 4:34 AM
Tough call, but I almost prefer the Hosac plan just to add some more to the skyline.

alphawolf
Jan 6, 2007, 4:39 AM
Regardless of how plain Hosac's is I got to go with his taller and denser one.

Cottonwood
Jan 6, 2007, 4:41 AM
I like them both, but would have to see a more detailed rendering of the Hosac plan. I voted for the Rivers plan because I like the syle of the building.

To see renderings of the rest of the Library Blocks proposal will be exciting since it will involve so many new buildings.

SLC Projects
Jan 6, 2007, 5:09 AM
Nice rendings. But i would have to go with the 2nd one also since it's taller. I'm a sucker for taller buildings. :haha:

boi2socal
Jan 6, 2007, 7:38 AM
Come on! Hosac looks like the projects. I go with Rivers plan. Only if it comes out looking like that. Boise needs some building of interest not just height. I think Boise Place will take care of that for awhile.

Mr.Boisean
Jan 6, 2007, 9:48 AM
Honestly, this is way too tough to call based on these (very preliminary) renderings.

jedikermit
Jan 6, 2007, 4:07 PM
I like the height of the Hosac, but the buildings are too ugly...go with Rivers.

alphawolf
Jan 6, 2007, 5:34 PM
I think Rivers is going a little too "I'm too hip for you to understand, hence my multi-colored rectangles over multi-sized blue glass. God I need a latte.". Seriously, all it takes is some 3-D model of a rendering to make any project look appealing or real. Hosac should have had a better rendering though, but I'm sure in time he will.

nobody
Jan 6, 2007, 5:52 PM
I dig Rivers' proposal, would love to see it built. I agree that the Hosac's looks like the projects. I think we have enough nice tall building in the pipeline for now, it's cool to see something smaller with a lot of character.

Cottonwood
Jan 6, 2007, 5:54 PM
Hosac is a local company and has respect here in Boise as does Rivers.
It seemed like it took Hosac years to start construction on the the Royal Plaza as well as the condos on 13th. Boise should be grateful that Rivers fell in love with our city and that he has the "connections" to build fast. The Library Blocks will be awesome.

BoiseIdahoan
Jan 6, 2007, 7:58 PM
If Hosac tied in more of the 13th St. building designs, they would be more appealing. As they stand now they look like small windowed buildings of multiple shades of brown. Exactly what Boise is lacking. :slob: I am going to have to go with Rivers plan.

combusean
Jan 7, 2007, 3:32 AM
I really like the Rivers' plan ... it's an extremely rare example of a one of those ultra-modern new builds I don't find patently offensive. The site seems well balanced and clean even tho those featues seem rarely typical of the style.

It would not look out of place here, but I assume in Boise the architecture tends to drift towards brick (as opposed to concrete, steel glass, etc) and earthen-toned materials. Would this stick out like a sore thumb or balance the area out?

Boysee Boi
Jan 7, 2007, 5:16 AM
I like Rivers' proposal. It's got a 60's mod thing about it, kind of 007. Boise needs more creative architecture. I think at the moment it might be a little out of place, but if this is the style of architecture he has planned for the whole Library Blocks project, it could be a hip little district. From the renderings we've seen I think it ties in well with the new library he's going to build across the street.

Hosac's proposal looks like another brown box regardless of the height.

City Of Trees
Jan 7, 2007, 10:19 PM
That Rivers facade looks like something from the Epcot Center. :D

Either that, or the classic HBO intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nJTxA0yMGM

Cottonwood
Jan 8, 2007, 5:39 AM
Maybe somebody should tip off CCDC into looking at this "building vote".
Who knows, maybe they will feel pressure to award it to Hosac because Hosac kind of seems to think they deserve the project. It should go to Rivers.

mr condo
Jan 23, 2007, 4:52 AM
The Hosac that is doing Royal is different from the Hosac doing City Side and bidding on 9th St. Steve is doing CitySide, Bob is doing the Royal.

Brother developers.

Boisebro
Jan 23, 2007, 7:54 PM
hmmm... i totally missed this whole thread.

my take:

i like the design of rivers' proposal. but i like the density and height of hosac's. it'd be nice to see what rivers has in mind for the rest of the area... hopefully it will include one or two buildings of 12+ floors to break up the monotany of the south side.

i have to say, though, that i'm impressed with the comments from the CCDC on this. very encouraging that they didn't bring up the moronic "gee, it doesn't blend in" bullsheet that we've seen from them in the past.

nobody
Jan 23, 2007, 8:17 PM
New Story on IBR About this

Link (http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive.htm/2007/01/23/Hosac-objects-to-CCDC-design-evaluation-criteria)

Essentially: Hosac is pissed that the CCDC more or less knocked his design.

Rivers Vs. Hosac deathmatch at Taco Bell Arena Sunday!

el conquistador
Jan 23, 2007, 8:39 PM
New Story on IBR About this

Link (http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive.htm/2007/01/23/Hosac-objects-to-CCDC-design-evaluation-criteria)

Essentially: Hosac is pissed that the CCDC more or less knocked his design.

Rivers Vs. Hosac deathmatch at Taco Bell Arena Sunday!

Then come up with a more appealing design, Mr Hosac. :koko:

I am changing my vote to Mr. Rivers, time to start introducing some better architechtural features to downtown.

Cottonwood
Jan 23, 2007, 10:02 PM
Hosac does seem a little tiffed in the article. But they need to be more creative and edgy with their design. The other projects they are building downtown look nice, but this proposal looks boring. It is almost like they threw a mundane plan together because they thought they would win the bid.

Northernlad
Jan 24, 2007, 1:03 AM
I like Rivers plan the best.

DevdogAZ
Jan 24, 2007, 1:08 AM
While I'm always a fan of tall, the Rivers one is way better looking so that's what I'd vote for. If I could, I'd just take the Rivers design and add a couple more floors to it to get to the same number of units and density as the other one.