PDA

View Full Version : Asian budget airline in long-haul move

Jonas
Jan 6, 2007, 8:08 PM
So it seems Europe and Asia are to become even closer. The first low-cost long-haul airline (Oasis Hong Kong) was launched a couple of months ago between London and HK. It seems another one is to follow shortly :tup:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6232101.stm

By Jonathan Kent
BBC News, Kuala Lumpur

Air Asia wants to bring the cost of long-haul flights down
The low-cost airline model which has revolutionised travel in Europe, the US and lately Asia may be about to go global.

The biggest no-frills carrier in the East - Air Asia - has announced the launch of a sister company to ferry travellers between its hubs in South East Asia and Europe, primarily the UK.

"We're going to really bring down costs on the long-haul product [in a way] that was never deemed feasible," Air Asia's chief executive Tony Fernandes told the BBC.

"I think that will allow us to offer fares to London from $80 to $450 (£41 to £231) return," he said.

'One class product'

Mr Fernandes announced on Friday that the carrier, which expects to carry some 18 million passengers around South-East Asia this year, would launch a new airline under its banner to do what many believe is unfeasible.

"It's going to be a one class product," explained Mr Fernandes.

"It may have some rows of seats that are nice but you pay for that."

"We're not going to have business class lounges and separate check-in counters, but some people may be prepared to pay a little more for extra legroom."

The first route is likely to be between Malaysia's under-utilised air hub outside Kuala Lumpur and the UK.

Expansion

Mr Fernandes says he is not wedded to the idea of flying to a London airport but would rather go for whichever offers the best deal. But from there he sees enormous room for expansion.

"I think there is huge potential in Europe, China, India, Australia, the Middle East, Japan, Korea and one day the US but that's not in out immediate plans."

Both regions have a diversity that appeals to tourists.

Asians are as enthralled by the prospect of strolling past Big Ben on a cold rainy day as Europeans are of sipping cocktails on white coral sand beaches in January.

The traffic will surely be two-way, he says.

The Air Asia announcement follows the launch a few weeks ago of a low-cost London to Hong Kong service by new operator Oasis.

However, the Malaysian based airline is already well established. When it launched in December 2001 it had three aircraft.

Now it has 50 and is waiting for another 85 units of the A320 model from Airbus.

Barriers

But what distinguishes Air Asia, beyond being a market leader, is its rather un-Asian combative approach.

When it started out, Air Asia found itself up against politicians who saw it as a threat to the country's flag carrier Malaysia Airlines.

Three years ago when it launched its first international service to Thailand's Phuket island, a former tourism minister told Mr Fernandes his firm should to stick to domestic services.

Barriers were put up. Malaysia's government would not give its blessing for the airline to fly Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok.

In response, the budget carrier simply set up a Thai arm and went into partnership with Shin Corporation, a company linked to the country's former Premier, Thaksin Shinawatra.

The Thai authorities subsequently approved the route. Now it flies all around South East Asia as well as to China.

Risk taking

Mr Fernandes assessment of the role of the entrepreneur in forging new markets is blunt: "It's about having balls".

He acknowledges that the new venture involves considerable risks.

There is a big difference between being prepared to save a few dollars on a three-hour trip across Europe or Asia and enduring 14 hours across eight time zones in a cramped seat, along with scores of other potentially grumpy and frustrated passengers.

Air Asia has created a new market and won a legion of fans in Asia.

But there have also been many complaints in the local media about delayed flights and other problems, that could be amplified on a long haul route.

Mr Fernandes remains undeterred: "We're making the hard decisions that many wouldn't have done, on the firm belief that people will be driven by low fares."

The success of the new venture will no doubt rest on how would-be passengers weigh convenience and comfort against price when flying half way round the world.

The rest of the industry will be taking note.

WonderlandPark
Jan 7, 2007, 2:22 AM
I really liked my experience flying Air Asia.

Leg 1 was KUL-REP on a middle age 737, service and Nasi Lemak were good (US$78 inc taxes/airport fees, return)
Leg 2 was REP-KUL on the same 737, but astonishingly, as soon as everyone was on board and seated, we simply departed--25 minutes EARLY! That was awesome.
Leg 3 was HKT-KUL on a week old A319, spanking new equipment and the same good Nasi Lemak (About $2 by the way) (fare was about US$50 inc taxes one way, booked 6 days ahead, so less discount)

At KUL they use an airport a ways away from the main international terminal. I made the 'mistake' of taking the speedy rail to that terminal, then had another 20 minute bus ride to the discount terminal. On the way back, enjoyed the $3.50 ride back to Sentral station via the Air Asia branded bus, skipping the main terminal.

WonderlandPark
Jan 7, 2007, 2:40 AM
And some photos:

http://www.pixelmap.com/images/Nav/HKT_KUL_036.jpg

http://www.pixelmap.com/images/Nav/HKT_KUL_035.jpg

http://www.pixelmap.com/images/Nav/HKT_KUL_037.jpg

http://www.pixelmap.com/images/Nav/HKT_KUL_038.jpg

http://www.pixelmap.com/images/Nav/HKT_KUL_003.jpg

Jonas
Jan 7, 2007, 1:02 PM
Thanks for your experiences, Wanderlandpark. I'll most probably be flying AirAsia from KL to Phuket (Thailand) later this year and I've already heard many positive voices bout this airline (then again I had some really good experinces with both Tiger and JetStar Asia which are also both low-cost). It seems in Asia low-cost flights doen't necessarily mean dull and unfriendly service sort of you get in RyanAir :rolleyes:

urbanflyer
Jan 7, 2007, 1:09 PM
Leg 2 was REP-KUL on the same 737, but astonishingly, as soon as everyone was on board and seated, we simply departed--25 minutes EARLY! That was awesome.

This simply wouldn't work in places like London. ATC clearance for departure routes is usually given within 5 minutes of a scheduled gate leave time so that kind of early departure would be impossible at a busier airport.

Interesting that Fernandes touts bringing down costs without any explanation as to how. Any big problem in Iran and oil prices are going through the roof again as well. No way a young airline like them has their fuel hedged already as they don't have the capital to do so.

Mercutio
Jan 8, 2007, 8:20 PM
Thanks for your experiences, Wanderlandpark. I'll most probably be flying AirAsia from KL to Phuket (Thailand) later this year and I've already heard many positive voices bout this airline (then again I had some really good experinces with both Tiger and JetStar Asia which are also both low-cost). It seems in Asia low-cost flights doen't necessarily mean dull and unfriendly service sort of you get in RyanAir :rolleyes:I actually think the service level is pretty similar on AirAsia and Ryanair - and Ryanair is far more punctual. ;)

Jonas
Jan 8, 2007, 10:37 PM
I actually think the service level is pretty similar on AirAsia and Ryanair - and Ryanair is far more punctual. ;)

Well I've been on RyanAir only once (or twice if we count a return flight as two) and the service sucked so badly that I would hardly consider flying with them again. Also if you read passenger responses at Skytrax website they are just crushing Ryanair about their horrible service. Anyway I'll try AirAsia myself and see. But I doubt it would be much worse than JetStar Asia (so far by far the best low-cos airline I've tried) or Tiger which are both much better than RyanAir from my personal experience (again, responses at Skytrax would support my point here ;)).

Mercutio
Jan 8, 2007, 10:56 PM
Well I've been on RyanAir only once (or twice if we count a return flight as two) and the service sucked so badly that I would hardly consider flying with them again. Also if you read passenger responses at Skytrax website they are just crushing Ryanair about their horrible service. Anyway I'll try AirAsia myself and see. But I doubt it would be much worse than JetStar Asia (so far by far the best low-cos airline I've tried) or Tiger which are both much better than RyanAir from my personal experience (again, responses at Skytrax would support my point here ;)).I have flown both airlines several times. What does AirAsia offer that Ryanair doesn't? In my experience nothing. Both are no-frills carriers where you have to pay extra for food and drink. Neither are prepared to pay for air bridges and neither offer in-flight entertainment (though on Ryanair you can pay extra for games consoles and will soon be able to use mobile phones). WonderlandPark was praising AirAsia's young fleet but Ryanair's fleet is actually much younger (Air Asia's fleet is dominated by ageing 737-300s that they purchased second hand - Ryanair's fleet is 100% brand new 737-800s - Ryanair has one of the youngest fleets in the world). Skytrax reviews reflect fashionable attitudes as much as anything. I mean it's fashionable to bash Ryanair in Europe wheras AirAsia is still enjoying the honeymoon popularity that Ryanair and other low cost European carriers themselves enjoyed a couple of years ago. There is also a cultural difference in terms of attitudes. Europeans are more prone to complaining than Asians. And the only vote that really matters is what passengers choose. British Airways was Skytrax best airline in 2006 and yet Ryanair has stolen a lot of traffic from BA and now carries more passengers per year (41 million to BA's 36 million). Ryanair is the world's fastest growing airline in terms of passenger numbers for a reason! And it's well known that AirAsia has poor punctuality wheras Ryanair is one of the most punctual airlines in the world. For instance in November 2006 (the latest month for which stats are available....) Ryanair flights were 90% on time compared to just 75% from AirAsia.

Jonas
Jan 8, 2007, 11:23 PM
I'm not talking about such things as in-flight entertainment or food. BA's short haul flights in Europe don't offer either of that (except a little snack and a drink) but my experiences with them are simply great (I had 4 flights with BA from London to Vilnius and back). It's just the essential customer service which DOES make a very big difference: a smile, a positive attitude and the manners of how the crew communicates with the customers. All I'm saying is that these things were horrible when I flew with Ryanair and they were MUCH better in other cases I mentioned. Maybe it doesn't matter to some people but to me (and it seems most of the Skytrax respondents) it does. Simple as that. Then again, this is something very easy to fix and I believe the bosses of that company are aware of that.
Anyway, one thing which is great about RyanAir is that it pushed other companies to cut their prices which made traveling very affordable even with the traditional airlines which I'm more than happy to take advantage of :)

Mercutio
Jan 8, 2007, 11:36 PM
^ Well the worst experience I ever had on Ryanair was finding some crumbs on my seat. And I had a very good experience when a very pretty flight attendent flirted with me and gave me her telephone number. :) By contrast all of my AirAsia flights were late (though on one occasion that was a good thing because I was late myself.... ;) ) and one time I was shivering for the entire flight because they had turned the air conditioning up so high. When I asked for a blanket (twice....) they refused! By the time I arrived I was feeling ill. Is that the wonderful "service with a smile" you're talking about? ;)

Jonas
Jan 8, 2007, 11:59 PM
You must have caught a yellow fever during that flight, perhaps ;)

On my flight back from Frankfurt Hahn to Stansted (it was wintertime and I was wearing my coat) the stewardess (absolutely unpleasant and unsexy) told me (not asked but told in a rather unfriendly manner) to take my coat off and put it in the place above the seats (after trying to do so I realised that everything was so packed that even a finger wouldn't go into there). Then I explained that to her but I was only told once again to put my coat in an "appropriate" place (where the hell???). I ended up hiding it under the seat in front of me (happily I got away unnoticed... I dunno what would have happened otherwise). That seemed impossible to happen in any private company which deals with people but from that time I promised myself to keep away from them.

WonderlandPark
Jan 9, 2007, 2:39 AM
I agree that on long-haul flights some upgrades are in order, I really don't think people will put up with 10 hours staring at the seat in front of you. Some form of entertainment MUST be put on flights. Look at Jet Blue, discount airlines with great entertainment, families I know prefer to fly Jet Blue not because of fares, but because the Delta or United flight has nothing to keep the kids entertained. Air Asia will have to address that on long-haul routes. But for hops like 90 minutes, I don't mind no seervice and can do without in-flight entertainment. I have my mp3 player and a paperback and would really rather keep the money in my pocket. I am happy and grateful for Air Asia--sure Thai is nice, and I get a free soda on my hour flight--but it isn't hundreds of dollars more nice.

Long haul is another story, and I would spend extra, say $100+ on a round trip from LAX to KUL on Malaysian over a budget carrier. A flight that long means that meals, entertainment and large seat pitch, and that really matters when you are on a plane for 15 hours.

Mercutio
Jan 9, 2007, 1:36 PM
^ They probably will offer inflight entertainment and meals. Oasis Airlines (the low-cost longhaul carrier that recently started between London and Hong Kong) bought their 747-400s second hand from Singapore Airlines and so all passengers have seat back TVs. The screens are smaller than the latest and best, for instance the technology does not allow you to stop, pause, restart the films (instead they show on constant cycle), but at least they have them. Oasis also served two good meals on the flight. They may not be at the same level as the best European and Asian carriers but they're not all that far off, at least in economy class, and they're certainly better than weaker airlines such as China Eastern whose longhaul offering sucks (no seat back TVs and lousy meals).