PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Denver...

BG918
Jan 29, 2007, 5:13 AM
Well I just got a summer internship at an architecture firm in downtown Denver (Humphries Poli). I'll be moving to the city in early May and will be there until I return to school in Oklahoma in late August. My office will be near the Golden Triangle (12th and Elati) and I would like to live close enough so that I could walk/bike to work each day. What neighborhoods should I look for apartments in close to south downtown? I'm only leasing/subletting for a summer, would it be wise to look around CU-Denver or Univ. of Denver where students may leave for the summer? Any info. would be appreciated!

wong21fr
Jan 29, 2007, 5:33 AM
You could check out the student residences at the Auraria Campus, though I think you may have to be a student at Auraria to live there.

Paulopolis
Jan 29, 2007, 5:56 AM
Capitol Hill is close to the Golden Triangle and fairly affordable. It's also one of the most diverse/urban neighborhoods in Denver.

Check out craigslist for short-term rental opportunities.

Good luck!

FrancoRey
Jan 29, 2007, 7:57 AM
Hey what are those 6-10 story complexes off of Speer and 11th-ish? You know, the ones right along the creek that are ugly as sin on the outside but decent on the inside...we talked about them in eariler forums and I know they are reasonable. Not sure how many are lease-able though. There are four separate buildings, I think, and they're red and cement colored.

bcp
Jan 29, 2007, 9:34 AM
parkway...but they've been condominiumized

glowrock
Jan 29, 2007, 12:03 PM
Only some of them have been condominiumized (is that a word? :)), bcp... Most of those buildings are still completely apartments.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Grateful Denver
Jan 30, 2007, 12:51 AM
definately still apartments
some of my friends live there
lots of kids
amazing views of downtown from the upper level patios, which incidentally is a great place to put a keg down

Chinagal
Feb 6, 2007, 3:13 AM
Not all of the Parkway has been converted to condos. That would probably be your best bet. Young, pool, close to work. etc.

Parkway Apartments
1150 Galapago St
Denver, CO 80204
(303) 595-9814

glowrock
Feb 6, 2007, 11:51 AM
Too bad the Parkway really needs a major interior facelift. Some of the buildings look like they haven't been renovated, original from the early 80's, or whenever the place was built...

Aaron (Glowrock)

wong21fr
Feb 6, 2007, 2:32 PM
I think of several buildings that could use a face-lift instead of the Parkways'. Come on, it's not even twenty years old yet.

joeindt
Feb 6, 2007, 3:02 PM
I've never been a fan of how it looks..

wong21fr
Feb 6, 2007, 3:14 PM
It's not all that bad: the towers are aligned such that you could punch 12th Ave through, knock down the fences, the town homes would have to go and that would be rebuilt, but the entire project doesn't need to be knocked down.

glowrock
Feb 6, 2007, 5:32 PM
I think of several buildings that could use a face-lift instead of the Parkways'. Come on, it's not even twenty years old yet.

Note I said INTERIOR facelift, not exterior facelift, wong... ;) A good friend of mine lives there, and yes, it could certainly use some extensive renovations...

Aaron (Glowrock)

i-215
Feb 7, 2007, 4:30 AM
Moving to Denver, huh?

I'm sooooooooooooooo sorry! Good luck though!

glowrock
Feb 7, 2007, 11:47 AM
Drunken post, eh, I-215?

Aaron (Glowrock)

blm3034L!fe
Feb 7, 2007, 1:52 PM
^ Has to be Glow...
or possibly a low IQ :shrug: J/K there U-tah. ;) :D

BroncoCSU05
Feb 7, 2007, 5:51 PM
having 6 mothers causes multiple personalities

InfillJunkie
Feb 7, 2007, 6:08 PM
U gotta remember thats the same guy that wants to lay down highway at every turn. Hehe...its probably the carbon monoxide fumes from his vehicles.

IdaBoi
Feb 7, 2007, 6:55 PM
Moving to Denver, huh?

U gotta remember thats the same guy that wants to lay down highway at every turn. Hehe...its probably the carbon monoxide fumes from his vehicles.

LOL. I love Denver, very cool place.
Maybe your Western neighbor has an inferiority complex.

IdahoMountainBoy
Feb 7, 2007, 11:56 PM
:previous: Haha..yeah, i've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't count the number of reasons I chose DU over U of U and Colorado over Utah. Denver is a fun, albeit slightly polluted city (sorry guys, today is pretty damn bad)

CRAZYTIM
Feb 8, 2007, 1:50 AM
i-215 West Side Pride. WOW, this guy lives in hole.:cheers:

blm3034L!fe
Feb 8, 2007, 2:28 AM
:previous: Haha..yeah, i've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't count the number of reasons I chose DU over U of U and Colorado over Utah. Denver is a fun, albeit slightly polluted city (sorry guys, today is pretty damn bad)

Your a genius my man, It's really a no brainer IMHO I have spent much time in both States/Citys and hands down easy call; DENVER COLORADO BABY!!! :yes: :tup: :whip:

i-215 West Side Pride. WOW, this guy lives in hole.

My friend you have no idea, Seriously the hole you speak of? I'll give you one guess of what's in it...

vertex
Feb 8, 2007, 2:42 AM
This thread is gonna end well...:cool:

BroncoCSU05
Feb 8, 2007, 5:21 PM
Doughnuts!!

mttop
Feb 8, 2007, 5:24 PM
Moving to Denver, huh?

:koko: Where does this guy live?

BroncoCSU05
Feb 8, 2007, 5:32 PM
^ ever tried looking up where I-215 is??

glowrock
Feb 8, 2007, 6:08 PM
There are several of I-215's, but this one's the one in SLC, right? :)

Other I-215's include San Bernardino/Riverside in CA, and of course Las Vegas...

Aaron (Glowrock)

SLCforme
Feb 8, 2007, 6:26 PM
I think he's in Utah and I also think he was just messing around, but I can't vouch for him. I'm new to this forum so I don't know anyone yet, but I have to say that from the little time I have spent in Denver, I really liked it. I think it's a great town and definitely has SLC beat for nightlife, not to mention alcohol laws. SLC definitely has it's strong points, namely quicker access to the outdoors, but Denver certainly isn't hurting in that area either.
Some people have this sort of ego that thier city is the best and have to dog on other cities. I don't really understand it. There's good and bad to every city, and if one city was really better in every way then everyone would want to live there, and that's obviously not the case.
It seems like some people in SLC and Boise also have a bit of a rivalry too. Just doesn't make sense, they're both nice places. I actully haven't visited a mountain states city I didn't like, which I can't say for all the cities I've visited east of the mississippi.
Let's just toast to the fact that here in the West we have micro-brews to enjoy, mountains to roam in, and cool small to mid-sized cities to play in. :cheers:

BG918
Feb 9, 2007, 2:07 AM
Parkway seems to be my best bet, but there's also Uptown Village and Uptown Square that are a little more expensive and further away from 12th and Elati but also nicer. I'm just hoping they have furnished studio or 1 bedroom units for 3 month leases. I'm also checking craigslist, hoping that maybe someone in a LoDo loft needs a roommate... :)

CoVol
Feb 9, 2007, 2:30 AM
Hi BG918,

If you haven't already, you should check out http://www.livedowntowndenver.com/.

It's a great resource for searching for downtown housing.

Best of luck and we'll be glad to have you. :cheers:

blm3034L!fe
Feb 9, 2007, 2:48 AM
I think he's in Utah and I also think he was just messing around, but I can't vouch for him. I'm new to this forum so I don't know anyone yet, but I have to say that from the little time I have spent in Denver, I really liked it. I think it's a great town and definitely has SLC beat for nightlife, not to mention alcohol laws. SLC definitely has it's strong points, namely quicker access to the outdoors, but Denver certainly isn't hurting in that area either.
Some people have this sort of ego that thier city is the best and have to dog on other cities. I don't really understand it. There's good and bad to every city, and if one city was really better in every way then everyone would want to live there, and that's obviously not the case.
It seems like some people in SLC and Boise also have a bit of a rivalry too. Just doesn't make sense, they're both nice places. I actully haven't visited a mountain states city I didn't like, which I can't say for all the cities I've visited east of the mississippi.
Let's just toast to the fact that here in the West we have micro-brews to enjoy, mountains to roam in, and cool small to mid-sized cities to play in. :cheers:

Amen to that brother, and welcome SLC4U. ;) SLC isnt bad at all imho, anywhere else along the wasatch front and it's almost like going to another country or something? I find it very strange, and by no means normal... :(

InfillJunkie
Feb 9, 2007, 5:07 PM
PLEASE DISREGARD EVERYTHING BLM WROTE ABOUT ABOUT SLC. hehe

blm3034L!fe
Feb 12, 2007, 12:47 AM
PLEASE DISREGARD EVERYTHING BLM WROTE ABOUT ABOUT SLC. hehe

:haha: :D ;)