PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Sacramento Restaurants, Nightlife and Entertainment

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

sugit
Oct 31, 2008, 12:25 AM
In addition to Burgers and Brew, Magpie Catering is opening a specialty market, cafe, & kitchen in the 14th and R project.

They'll be offering gourmet deli sandwiches, salads, pastas, special ingredient mixes, constantly changing produce and such, catering services, take home ready made gourmet dinners, dressings, etc.

I've heard it described as a David Berkley kinda place.

Here's a look at the two logo's

http://www.magpiecaterers.com/
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/7269/22650725kd8.png

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2902/16352844em2.png

Yogi916
Nov 1, 2008, 4:14 PM
more good news on other Tenants at 14th & R Street coming soon, stay tuned...

reggiesquared
Nov 4, 2008, 7:13 PM
http://www.mejortequila.com/one/images/mejor-tequila.gif

My real name is Angel Penilla, COO- Mejor Tequila Company LLC. I believe you guys will be excited to find out that we have decided to launch our new line of luxury tequilas in Sacramento along with San Francisco. I have been living in Sacramento since 1999, since then I have seen the transformation this city has experienced. Having grown up in and around the bay area and Monterey bay areas, I can safely say Sacramento is turning into a top tier culinary and entertainment city. The amount of buzz and civic pride surrounding new openings of restaurants, lunges, clubs, bars and development specifically downtown and midtown is extremely interesting and I can see why large companies often choose Sacramento as a test market. It's citizens are early adopters and many are influencers. Word about new happenings spreads virally which makes Sacramento perfect for launching our long awaited new luxury tequila. Currently in production, we are estimating arrival of our product in early July. We are very interested in spreading the word in Sacramento and teaming up with restaurants, bars, clubs, lunges and events, not only to showcase our new product but also provide an avenue to educate the general public about what super premium tequila is all about. Strong parallels between wine and tequila can be found and we want to be the company to turn more people into tequila connoisseurs. Mejor Tequila will be great for Sacramento and Sacramento will be great for Mejor. Being able to launch in LA or SD, We have decidedly chosen Sacramento and SF as a catalyst to build interest in all of California. It is time for the rest of California to take notice, Sacramento is full of innovators, innovative ideas and contrary to popular belief, emerging as a trend setter not a trend follower. For more information visit our myspace page as our web page is under construction.

http://www.myspace.com/mejor_tc

feel free add yourself to our friends list!

Thanks guys! :cheers:

"reggiesquared"

Angel Penilla, COO
Mejor Tequila Company, LLC

Just wanted to let you guys know some of our VIP retailers are starting to carry mejor. We are adding retailers every day! Please visit Azul in the MARRS building in Midtown, Blue Cue, Patron Bar and Grill and others listed on our website!

Check out our website often as we will be posting new places around town to sample mejor!

www.mejortequila.com

Cheers! :cheers:

TowerDistrict
Nov 4, 2008, 9:20 PM
Good to hear. I'll give it a try real soon.

Very nice work on the website, by the way.

sugit
Nov 4, 2008, 10:38 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know some of our VIP retailers are starting to carry mejor. We are adding retailers every day! Please visit Azul in the MARRS building in Midtown, Blue Cue, Patron Bar and Grill and others listed on our website!

Check out our website often as we will be posting new places around town to sample mejor!

www.mejortequila.com

Cheers! :cheers:

Thanks for the info, reggiesquared. I was just thinking about your product a couple days ago while drinking some margaritas. I tried to find a retail outlet that would sell you product, but couldn't find anything on your website. (i.e. Safeway)

Is that still in the works?

reggiesquared
Nov 11, 2008, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the info, reggiesquared. I was just thinking about your product a couple days ago while drinking some margaritas. I tried to find a retail outlet that would sell you product, but couldn't find anything on your website. (i.e. Safeway)

Is that still in the works?

Yes, right now we are only selling to on-sale places such as bars, clubs and restaurants. Off-sale is in the works but could materialize quite soon. Our website will have all that info soon!

Regarding a couple posts up: Thanks for the website kudos!

:cheers:

Grimnebulin
Nov 13, 2008, 8:35 PM
FWIW - Grange Restaurant in the Citizen Hotel should have a soft opening within a week...website's in process...www.grangesacramento.com

sugit
Nov 13, 2008, 10:30 PM
I can't wait for Grange to open. From what I have read, the Chef is awesome.

I'm also really looking forward to Magpie. I traded emails with the owner a couple weeks ago.

The market portion will be kitchen cooking components both prepared in our kitchen and elsewhere…things like au jus and soup stocks, herbs, olives, salt cured lemons, crostini, farmstead cheeses, cured meats, etc. The café portion will be baked goods like scones, muffins, breakfast breads, cookies and tarts; a cold case with salads, sandwiches, etc.; a small beer and wine bar; and coffee. I think that’s it in a nutshell! So, less of a grocery store and more of a café and pantry in a way.

http://www.sacbee.com/shallit/story/1393539.html

Filling up
By Bob Shallit
bshallit@sacbee.com
Published: Thursday, Nov. 13, 2008 | Page 1B

A cafe and catering company specializing in organic fare is going into the condo-retail complex at 14th and R streets in downtown Sacramento.

Magpie Caterers, now on Del Paso Boulevard, will relocate in February to the 95-year-old former Wonder Bread plant, where it will open a restaurant and specialty market.

Magpie will offer sit-down service and take-home meals – primarily made with local, organic produce and meats, says Ed Roehr, who owns the business with Janel Inouye.

The new Magpie Caterers – Market & Cafe also will sell gourmet cooking ingredients, like soup bases, sauces and herb mixes.

"I think we'll be a good complement to the other businesses on the block," Roehr says, including a Cafe Bernardo and the R15 bar.

Soon to arrive at the former Wonder Bread site: a Burgers and Brew outlet by the owners of Crepeville restaurants and a "speak-easy-style" bar and restaurant, says Bay Miry, an official with the project's builder, D&S Development.

Miry also reports that buyers have "reserved" nine of the 12 condos on the site's second floor. The units should be ready for occupancy in three months, he says.

Surefiresacto
Nov 19, 2008, 6:02 PM
Sacramento Business Journal - by Mark Anderson Staff writer
Tuesday, November 18, 2008

With its move to a new location at 621 Capitol Mall, the Sacramento Morton’s, The Steakhouse will become one of the few restaurants in the chain of 80 Morton’s that serves lunch. The lunch service starts Wednesday. Just a dozen Morton’s locations serve lunch.

Morton’s has been in Sacramento for 15 years, but with its move to the base of the U.S. Bank Tower, the restaurant had to nearly double its employees to 84 people to add the lunch service. The restaurant got applications from more than 1,000 people for nearly 40 positions, said Neil Swinney, general manager.

Morton’s will serve lunch weekdays in its main dining room, in its new bar called 12-21 and on its open outdoor patio on Capitol Mall.

Even though the restaurant’s move was literally only a few blocks, the move out of the retail environment of the downtown mall and into the ground floor of a new office tower makes a tremendous difference, said Tom Baldwin, chairman, chief executive and president of Morton’s (NYSE: MRT), who is here this week for the launch of the new Morton’s location.

Even before the doors were open to the restaurant, Baldwin and Swinney were looking at some potential remodeling. The new restaurant has some empty wall space, which could be used for more private wine lockers. The lockers have been sold out and there has been a waiting list since the restaurant opened. Baldwin said he sees space for about eight more of the lockers to the right of the front door. Swinney sees room for perhaps 12 more lockers between the restaurant and the bar.

The dining room of the new restaurant features a floor-to-ceiling glass wine case, which is kept between 55 degrees and 58 degrees. Wine is a serious business at the Sacramento location, Baldwin said, because the customers here are sophisticated about their wines. That might be why six of the 85 certified sommeliers in the company work in the Sacramento restaurant.

Sachornet
Dec 8, 2008, 10:36 PM
more good news on other Tenants at 14th & R Street coming soon, stay tuned...

Here's some more info from Bob Shallit about the speakeasy style restaurant and bar that will be going in at the old Wonderbread bakery at 14th and R.

http://www.sacbee.com/latest/story/1458432.html

Yogi - Is there anymore retail space available at this complex? I can't wait to check out the 3 tenants that have already signed on.

Yogi916
Dec 9, 2008, 1:21 AM
Indeed more retail coming.

Owners of Burgers & Brew are going to do a late night Dessert Dinner and Yogurt place next door to Burgers & Brew.

Working with a couple potentials for something unique and hopefully open late in the one small pace remaining...know more soon...

Yogi916
Dec 9, 2008, 6:51 PM
Story on "The Shady Lady" coming soon to the 14&R Project on CBS local news last night.

Link is below:

http://www.cbs13.com/video/?id=43553@kovr.dayport.com

goldcntry
Dec 9, 2008, 11:10 PM
"The Shady Lady" was also in the Bee today, below the fold of Section B...

innov8
Dec 10, 2008, 1:46 AM
Three Monkey's Restaurant on K Street looks to be closed. They have a sign
on the door saying "Closed for Maintenance", but it's been over two weeks
since the sign went up. From what I understand, business has sucked in the
last few months and the owners are also pissed because the city promised them
lots of improvements on the 700 and 800 block of K Street and nothing has
happen in the year they have been open. Oh wait, a new fence is going up
around the hole on K & 8th with photos of the city :tup:

econgrad
Dec 10, 2008, 3:13 AM
^ Was that the place with the early Jazz? I went once and I really liked it but yeah, its been closed. That's the place right?

Majin
Dec 10, 2008, 5:18 AM
Damn that was short lived. Sad because that place was pretty good for the price not to mention right across the street from my apartment.

urban_encounter
Dec 11, 2008, 2:43 AM
Three Monkey's Restaurant on K Street looks to be closed. They have a sign
on the door saying "Closed for Maintenance", but it's been over two weeks
since the sign went up. From what I understand, business has sucked in the
last few months and the owners are also pissed because the city promised them
lots of improvements on the 700 and 800 block of K Street and nothing has
happen in the year they have been open. Oh wait, a new fence is going up
around the hole on K & 8th with photos of the city :tup:

K street will never reach its full potential. There is little momentum and by the time something else opens there is a business going under..

BrianSac
Dec 11, 2008, 2:49 PM
K street will never reach its full potential. There is little momentum and by the time something else opens there is a business going under..

Kinda makes me wonder about the success of the Cosmopolitian and the new theatre.

Same goes for the Citizen Hotel. The K street mall, J Street(near the hotel) are run down and the retail choices are limited for the type of customers who will be staying at the Citizen.

On the other hand, since Sacramento has few choices for high-end hotels, The Citizen should do well because its the only game in town of its type.

Phillip
Dec 12, 2008, 12:44 AM
The economy is what it is and the hotel industry is affected. I hope the Citizen does well. Joie de Vivre's good reputation will help them, and also the Citizen's uniqueness factor. There's nothing else like it in Sacramento.

That said, the Citizen would probably do even better if it was a few blocks further east, at 15th or 16th and J instead of 10th. The Citizen location does feel a little isolated from "the action" and the walk up J Street past the Convention Center isn't especially scenic or interesting. I picture taxicabs sitting in front of the Citizen, ready to spirit visitors away.

When Citizen was conceived a lot more development was anticipated in the immediate area. Thankfully the Elks Building and McCormick and Schmick's are kattycorner from the Citizen. Those two have good synergy and will help each other.

If the old Senator Hotel at 11th and L hadn't already been converted to offices I think JDV might have put their boutique hotel there. Restoring an old hotel to contemporary standards probably would have cost a lot less than converting an office building did.

I hardly ever eat at "nice" restaurants but I intend to try the Grange soon. That will give me an excuse to see the hotel and be my way of saying "Thank you" to Joie de Vivre for bringing the Citizen to Sacramento.

innov8
Dec 12, 2008, 4:55 AM
^ Was that the place with the early Jazz? I went once and I really liked it but yeah, its been closed. That's the place right?

Three Monkey's right next to the ice skating rink and Starbucks... I not sure about the Jazz.

ozone
Dec 12, 2008, 6:09 AM
Look all this doom and gloom, the sky is falling, K Street will never make it - kind of stuff misses the point that 3M went under because they didn't have the right formula for that location, the kitchen was unundisciplined, and the menu was like "we have everything you could ever want to eat" thing-which I stay clear of. The only ones I knew who went there are true suburban TGIF types. Of course,the 3M owners are going to blame the City, or someone/something else-that's easier than blaming yourself for the failure. Downtown's La Bonne Soupe is on crummy ghetto block and yet there's always a line.

innov8
Dec 12, 2008, 6:23 AM
Have you been watching Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares to come to that conclusion ozone? :haha:

doriankage
Dec 12, 2008, 9:12 AM
By Bob Shallit
Published: Thursday, Dec. 11, 2008 | Page 6B

This sounds like fun and I wish I was there to experience this. However, I will be in Lisbon...
My only wish is that they would move the party from K to Capitol Mall. The mall is so under used and I think it would tie in nicely with the fireworks over the river.
I don't want this event to fail like everything else on K.

A New Year's Eve ball drop in downtown Sacramento? That's the plan hatched by a group of downtown business leaders who want to bring some Times Square glitz to the capital city, with a high-wattage display and a ball dropped from atop a former bank building at 930 K St.

"We're hoping to get a gigantic crowd out there," says Trevor Shults, the events and promotions manager for the Paragary Restaurant Group.

He and his boss, Randy Paragary, came up with the idea while walking downtown just weeks ago, he reports. "We were saying, 'Wouldn't it be great to get a Times Square-esque feel here?' "

They jumped on the concept, contacted other businesses and have already raised about $25,000 for the event, Shults says. The primary sponsors: Paragary, Wells Fargo Bank and eDaddyWarbucks Ltd.

At least one city street will be closed to accommodate the hoped-for crowds. The event, which is three weeks away, will start at 11 p.m., and include performances by cast members from the "Forever Plaid" musical on a stage at the northeast corner of 10th and K streets, he says.

As midnight nears, things will get spectacular, he promises, with a light show arranged by Avenue Illumination of Sacramento. Countdown numbers will be projected along the sides of buildings, lights will flash and the ball will be lowered until it reaches a giant 22,000-watt LED sign.

When it's switched on, spelling out "2009," it'll "scorch the street," Shults says.

He also says organizers have lined up a high-profile figure to lead the crowd in counting down the seconds to New Year's Day. Who? New Mayor Kevin Johnson.

ozone
Dec 12, 2008, 5:11 PM
Have you been watching Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares to come to that conclusion ozone? :haha:

Oh Ramsay is hard core. Actually I'm more of a fan of Anthony Bourdain but basically I'm just a lame foodie wannabe.

goldcntry
Dec 12, 2008, 9:19 PM
I gotta back Ozone on this one. 3M's menu was waaaaay too crazy for this environment. I'm constantly harping on my aunt because her diner's menu choices would cause an indecisive person to go into cardiac arrest, much like 3M's did. The place was neat, but a kitchen out of control will doom a business.

Phillip
Dec 13, 2008, 5:26 AM
Thankfully the Elks Building and McCormick and Schmick's are kattycorner from the Citizen. Those two have good synergy and will help each other.

No wait. Elks and Citizen aren't kattycorner. There's a whole block in between. It's that dark, desolate block of J Street with nothing open on either side of the street but the cigar/liquor store.

Maybe my mind was just wishing Elks and Citizen were kattycorner. Or I selectively blocked out the void between them, focusing on the positive. I was downtown tonight and they're a block apart, most definitely.

Bad enough I'm losing my memory; now I'm responding to my own posts.

Anyhow I walked past Grange tonight and through the windows it looked very busy, 7pm on a Friday night. I'll try it some time, but for lunch.

BrianSac
Dec 13, 2008, 7:40 AM
No wait. Elks and Citizen aren't kattycorner. There's a whole block in between. It's that dark, desolate block of J Street with nothing open on either side of the street but the cigar/liquor store.

Maybe my mind was just wishing Elks and Citizen were kattycorner. Or I selectively blocked out the void between them, focusing on the positive. I was downtown tonight and they're a block apart, most definitely.

Bad enough I'm losing my memory; now I'm responding to my own posts.

Anyhow I walked past Grange tonight and through the windows it looked very busy, 7pm on a Friday night. I'll try it some time, but for lunch.

Responding to your own posts---thats rich!

We tried to get a reservation for 7pm at the Grange but it was booked until 8:30., so we went to the Cosmopolitian instead. The food and service were great. I really liked the decor inside as well. Some great old photos of K Street before it was a pedestrian mall.

After a short walk, we then went to the Grange @ 8:30 for dessert. Food and Service were great. After dessert we went up to the roof to check out the view. :tup: I would recommend both places.

Sachornet
Dec 17, 2008, 12:18 AM
After a short walk, we then went to the Grange @ 8:30 for dessert. Food and Service were great. After dessert we went up to the roof to check out the view. :tup: I would recommend both places.

How do us common folk like me get to the roof top terrace to check out the view?

Cynikal
Dec 17, 2008, 12:53 AM
Depends on which roof. Did you go to the banquet room or the Governor's suite? Both are impressive but there are 7 floors between them.

I wish they would open up the banquet area for drinks when not booked. We need a rooftop bar in this town.

wburg
Dec 17, 2008, 2:53 AM
You can't necessarily get access to the rooftop terrace, but I think you can pretty much walk in, get in the elevator and go to the 14th floor: there is a little landing with windows with a nice view. There are a lot of buildings downtown where pretty much all you have to do is walk in like you know where you're going, hit the elevator and go look for views. It helps if you're dressed professionally.

BrianSac
Dec 17, 2008, 5:11 AM
Depends on which roof. Did you go to the banquet room or the Governor's suite? Both are impressive but there are 7 floors between them.

I wish they would open up the banquet area for drinks when not booked. We need a rooftop bar in this town.

We went up on the very top of the roof. We were with a contingent of people who along with the contractor of the remodel unlocked the door to the roof.

From the 14th floor you had to walk up several flights of stairs to the locked door to the roof. Great views on top, and great ornamentation on the top of the roof; three pointed crest type stone pieces surrounding the perimeter of the roof sort of acting like a guard-rail-stone fence preventing you from slipping off the roof. There were about 30 or so of the stone pieces, each one about 2 feet tall. Also, you could see looking slightly down at another part of the building that has a slanted A-frame type of roof with the a giant chimney flume coming through the roof. Gotham City like. Way cool!

Cynikal
Dec 17, 2008, 5:32 PM
Wow! Sounds like a great tour.

Surefiresacto
Dec 17, 2008, 6:50 PM
The Firehouse owner to open eatery at The Orleans in Old Sac
Friday, December 12, 2008

Lloyd Harvego, the developer of The Orleans in historic Old Sacramento, is going to open a restaurant on the ground floor of the building this summer.

He’s conducting focus groups to come up with the name and style of the restaurant.

It will be a mid-priced, tourist-friendly restaurant in the evenings and aim for a business lunch crowd during the week. It will have some wine and potentially other spirits, but beer will be the beverage of choice, with a handful of brews on tap and many boutique and international ales available. Harvego said he has absolutely no interest in brewing beer on the premises.

The emphasis on beer will help differentiate the new restaurant from Harvego’s other restaurant in Old Sacramento, The Firehouse, which has an enormous — and celebrated — wine cellar.

Harvego had planned to develop the $12 million Orleans project as an investment property. He completed the 24-unit upscale loft-style apartment complex in the summer, and wanted to lease the ground floor to a restaurateur.

But after months of not seeing eye-to-eye with potential restaurateurs, Harvego decided to open a restaurant.

Harvego knows a few things about restaurants. He used to tend bar at The Firehouse in the early 1960s before he became a full-time water engineer for the state. Eventually, he built his own international engineering and management company, Resource Management International, which had 400 employees by the time he sold it and retired to operate The Firehouse.

The Orleans was a hole in the ground in Old Sacramento for almost 80 years. A Gold Rush-era hotel called The Orleans stood on the spot at 1024 2nd St. before the turn of the 20th century. But the hotel fell on hard times and eventually became a paint warehouse, which then burned to the ground in the 1930s.

The Orleans is a replica of that hotel. The building has a restaurant space on the ground floor on 2nd Street, the main drag of Old Sacramento. The space includes a 6,300-square-foot interior with access to a 2,500-square-foot deck in the alley.

With approvals and construction, the restaurant could open by July, Harvego said.

doriankage
Dec 21, 2008, 12:22 PM
Friday, December 19, 2008
City hears residents’ complaints of too many bars

Residents of the booming restaurant scene in Sacramento are clamoring for some peace in their neighborhoods.

They are increasingly being bothered by late-night noise, scarce parking spaces and some instances of general bad behavior.

It’s perhaps an expected result of the city’s efforts to make downtown and midtown a hub of mixed-use planning, where restaurants and businesses mix with the residents. But some residents are fed up and think there might be too many bars and restaurants.

In response, the city last week hosted a 90-minute forum for midtown neighbors, who had a chance to complain about loud late-night strolls by drunken customers seeking their cars, people parking in driveways and the occasional noisy businesses.

The incidents are byproducts of a now-thriving district, something the city has been seeking for years, said City Councilman Steve Cohn, who has represented the neighborhood since 1994. The city is not going to change the zoning to limit restaurants and bars.

“This is midtown. It is mixed-use,” Cohn said. “We don’t want it to be like Granite Bay or Elk Grove, where all the restaurants are in one area and all the people live somewhere else.”

The city is trying to address the issues on several fronts. The Sacramento Police Department has an entertainment patrol — one sergeant and five patrol officers — who are tasked with monitoring restaurants, bars, clubs and performance venues. They measure the sound levels, and they patrol for problem customers in the neighborhood. The patrol started this fall.

“We’re going to work on solutions together,” said Rob Kerth, executive director of the Midtown Business Association. “The list of complaints is pretty short. It’s noise at closing time, the parking and some litter. We can figure out how to make that better.”

Art, music, fashion and dining are major industries that help the Sacramento economy and “they are industries that happen mostly at night. We don’t want to close this down,” Kerth said.

“Midtown is a great place to live because there is so much going on in it,” he said. Housing prices are down in most areas of Sacramento, but “the central city has not succumbed to falling housing prices. Clearly, it is a desirable place to be.”

Some city leaders and midtown stakeholders attended a conference of the Responsible Hospitality Institute this fall to see how other cities deal with mixed-use conflicts, Kerth said. In midtown and downtown, many of the complaints by neighbors could be solved by working with other businesses and offices in the area to allow their parking lots to be used at night.

“Success breeds challenges, and we are working on the challenges,” said Michael Ault, director of the Downtown Sacramento Partnership, a business improvement district in the central city.

“We’ve got to keep in mind it is an area where people are attracted to the businesses,” he said. “It is not reasonable to assume that people will be able to park in front of their homes every night in an area like this. That said, there has to be balance with the needs of the residents, and we know that.”

The city has worked to increase off-street parking in one part of midtown, taking control of the East End Garage — on 17th Street, between L Street and Capitol Avenue — after the state offices close down at night. The city offers parking for $2 for the evening.

“It is one of the best-kept secrets in town,” city spokeswoman Linda Tucker said. “We encourage the employers to tell their employees to park in the garages to open more spots on the streets.”

Kerth said if he can get permission to use a few more lots and garages, it would dramatically reduce the fight over parking between midtown residents and the folks who drive into the area.

At the forum, several central city residents said that a person could walk along the corridor of J, K, L and Capitol Mall and Capitol Avenue from Old Sacramento in the west to Alhambra Boulevard on the east, a span of 30 blocks, and hit at least one bar on every numbered street.

That fact probably won’t change, Cohn said, but there can be solutions to make sure it works better with the neighbors.

Hospitality owners realize the need to keep the peace between patrons and neighborhood residents, Kerth said. It is the occasional patron that acts badly.

But residents are not without power.

They have the ability to limit any new bars in restaurants. When a business seeks a liquor license, it has to send notices to its neighbors within 100 feet in any direction and publicly post a sign.

The most recent application for a liquor license in the area, the Old Soul at the Weatherstone, was turned down. Not only did neighbors oppose the license, but the area is considered “oversaturated” with alcohol-serving or -selling establishments.

Being considered “oversaturated” doesn’t mean a business cannot get a liquor license, it’s just a little more difficult. In the case of the Weatherstone, its application received two letters of protest from neighbors, said John Carr, spokesman with the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control. The Weatherstone is on the west side of 21st Street, which is commercial mixed-use. Across the street is residential.

“We know it is an issue,” Ault said of the challenges with mixed-use. “The last thing we want to do is get sideways with the residents.”

Majin
Dec 21, 2008, 10:03 PM
“This is midtown. It is mixed-use,” Cohn said. “We don’t want it to be like Granite Bay or Elk Grove, where all the restaurants are in one area and all the people live somewhere else.”

:tup: Deal with it or get the fuck out.

doriankage
Dec 22, 2008, 6:48 AM

:previous: My sentiments exactly!

wburg
Dec 22, 2008, 5:35 PM
It seems like "mixed use" pretty much means "bar" to a lot of folks...shouldn't it include other things?

econgrad
Dec 22, 2008, 6:30 PM
I never heard of such complaints in other cities....why here??

Yogi916
Dec 22, 2008, 11:14 PM
Tragic that Old Soul @ The Weatherstone was denied a Beer & Wine License. Opponents (some of whom live 15 or more blocks away and who apparently write letters of opposition for all requests for Beer & Wine in the grid no matter the proposed business) often used the following arguments:

1) Drew comparisons between Old Soul (with a few local/imported drafts and wine offerings and closing time of 11pm) to Benny's, Zebra Club, Torch Club, Press Club, etc with liquor licenses and open until 2am.

2) That businesses with beer/wine negatively impact property values in the surrounding areas.

LandofFrost
Dec 22, 2008, 11:58 PM
The owner of Old Soul is my next door neighbor. He thought that the liquor licence rejection (He wanted to be able to serve wine, and distill it's own infusions), was pretty random.

I hope the neighborhood will eventually change it's mind. Old Soul is a quality gig.

otnemarcaS
Dec 23, 2008, 1:44 AM
The 'damned if they do, damned if they don't' mentality in this city can be mind boggling sometimes. So midtown/downtown is getting a semblance of decent nightlife that has existed in many other large cities for years and some people want to slow the progress. Personally, I think MT/DT should DOUBLE the number of bars/nightclubs/restaurants in the central city to make it an even more vibrant entertainment destination.

otnemarcaS
Dec 23, 2008, 1:49 AM
Speaking of nightclub openings .....

Bob Shallit: New nightclub in race to open by New Year's Eve

By Bob Shallit
bshallit@sacbee.com
Published: Saturday, Dec. 20, 2008 | Page 6B

Mason Wong stood Thursday amid the construction chaos at his new downtown nightclub site.

Workers were installing wood paneling, applying stucco and sanding floor tiles at the Mix Downtown, set to open soon atop the art deco-inspired former Firestone building at 16th and L streets.

"You look at this now," Wong said, "and think, there's no way we'll get done (in time for a New Year's Eve opening). But we'll get there."

Truth is, getting the Mix finished by Dec. 31 is a challenge. But a tougher test may be keeping it open in this tumultuous economy.

Wong, a youthful-looking 48, acknowledges all this.

But he thinks the Mix will stand out from the crowded pack of downtown nightclubs scrambling for survival.

One distinction is its target market. His nearby Park Ultra Lounge attracts mainly twenty-somethings. As do most other downtown and midtown clubs.

"We're skewing slightly older here," he says. The music will be from the '70s and '80s. More disco than rap.

Wong hopes to lure a more sophisticated crowd with rotating cocktail themes, including martini nights, wine tastings and champagne specials.

His 8,000-square-foot space will also have an "older" feel, he says, with extensive use of "distressed" wood salvaged from area barns, then bleached for an ocean-weathered look.

Modern accents will include green and yellow leather seating and a LED-lit tower above the outdoor "small plates" dining area.

Of course, Wong has a name for the Mix's eclectic look.

"I call it California Malibu-y, hip casual."

wburg
Dec 23, 2008, 2:05 AM
Hm. According to the ABC website, the Old Soul license is still listed as pending:

http://www.abc.ca.gov/datport/LQSData.asp?ID=2029504856

so it hasn't actually been denied yet.

Phillip
Dec 23, 2008, 2:06 AM
I never heard of such complaints in other cities....why here??

I'm trying to think of a city that DOESN'T have these nightlife vs. neighbors conflicts. It happens anyplace where nightlife and residential exist in close proximity. Seattle, Portland, SF, LA, San Diego...it's an issue a whole lot of places. I can't remember it coming up in Fresno, where a lot of the clubs with loud music were in strip malls.

Yogi916
Dec 23, 2008, 2:26 AM
wburg, I believe what happened was the Old Soul request for Beer & Wine was indeed denied but then ABC higher ups decided to "reopen the case" after some media expousure and whatnot. And I believe the stage its at now is Old Soul waiting to hear from ABC on when their appeal hearing date will be.

Its been like a 8 or 9 month process for them so far...

econgrad
Dec 23, 2008, 10:14 PM
I'm trying to think of a city that DOESN'T have these nightlife vs. neighbors conflicts. It happens anyplace where nightlife and residential exist in close proximity. Seattle, Portland, SF, LA, San Diego...it's an issue a whole lot of places. I can't remember it coming up in Fresno, where a lot of the clubs with loud music were in strip malls.

I am not saying your wrong, but when I lived and went to college in SF, I never ever heard of any story like this. When I lived in Santa Monica, never ever heard of any either, nor in NYC when I lived there. My theory is cities grow into a 24/7 city and then residents get used to it and accept it as norm, maybe Sac needs more time, heck midtown is still a suburb anyway.

Phillip
Dec 23, 2008, 11:41 PM
I am not saying your wrong

You better not, lol!

I could Google up a bunch of stories from dift papers but it's not worth the time. It just seems obvious that anyplace where loud music is within earshot of people who are trying to sleep there will be conflicts.

A couple years ago there were problems between the Distillery on L Street and the St Anton apartments across the street. Do you know did that situation resolve? Part of the issue there was that people were renting St Anton apartments and didn't know there was loud music across the street. It's not something a leasing agent will voluntarily mention. And in daytime, leasing hours, the Distillery from the outside looks like a place for prime rib with your grandparents.

I've always thought the Railyards would be a good spot for a nightlife district, similar to Austin's Sixth Avenue. There's plenty of room there to put 8 or 10 clubs in close proximity, but totally segregated from the housing. Park once and walk from club to club. Maybe underneath the elevated portion of I-5.

wburg
Dec 24, 2008, 12:26 AM
The Distillery got a big fabric curtain for the window nearest the street, it muffles a lot of the sound, and Distillery staff do crowd control to limit outside noise. They're still doing live shows, though.

Philip, the Railyards is supposed to have housing in every neighborhood. The difference, though, is that in mid-rise/high-rise housing there is enough sound insulation to stop most street noise from getting through, even from a nightclub. If you're 8-10 stories up in a brand new building with insulation, street noise just isn't that big a deal. If you're in a 100 year old two-story wooden house with a 10 foot deep front yard, street noise is a considerably bigger deal.

While I'm sure Thomas Enterprises wants some nightlife component in the Railyards, I think their focus is going to be more towards retail. Besides, I don't see why we should have to wait another decade or so for them to build the neighborhood first.

Why not just put this "nightlife district" in a place that already has buildings, doesn't have a whole lot of residents, already has a couple of nightlife destinations, and seriously needs some evening foot traffic? Like, say, K Street?

K Street (outside of the Westfield part) is an abject failure as a retail shopping mall (although the Westfield part is, at best, feebly limping along.) This much is obvious. So why keep trying? If suburban soccer moms don't want to go there because parking's not so good and the neighborhood isn't as safe-appearing as Arden Fair or the Roseville Galleria, then stop trying to woo them in a failed effort.

I have gone clubbing in a few cities around the country, and almost universally, nightclubs tend to be in places where parking is crappy (either walking quite a few blocks or paying for parking is pretty standard) and the neighborhood generally isn't the best (ranges from kinda hinky to downright dangerous). Getting spare-changed while out on the town is pretty much expected. Most people who go to nightclubs expect that sort of thing--so why not put clubs in a neighborhood that works with that description?

We've already got an incubator of sorts along 10th Street. Things are already pretty busy there on weekends: between Temple Coffee, Parlare, the Cosmo/Social and Grange/Scandal, there is already a lot of foot traffic. Within a block in either direction is the Crest Theater, Pyramid, and Marilyn's. Throw a dance club and a couple of live music venues into some of those vacant storefronts and I'm willing to wager a few of those restaurants that close at 3 PM right now would start reopening in the evening to sop up some of the late-night traffic, and retailers who market to nightclub-goers would start sniffing around for vacant storefronts.

And because new buildings, as mentioned above, are relatively immune to noise problems, there's still the potential to put more residential into the K Street corridor.

ltsmotorsport
Dec 24, 2008, 5:47 AM

Exactly. Let's just hope the city doesn't pull another 'Thursday Night Market' on us. :rolleyes:

otnemarcaS
Dec 24, 2008, 8:03 AM
Wburg, I definitely agree with you on making K Street mall a nightlife destination. A few more restaurants, bars and nightclubs should be able to add life to that street. Also on K street is Cabana Room nightclub. It will be really good to have a live music venue or two on K street.

Since K street has failed to become Sacramento's version, albeit smaller, of Santa Monica's Third street promenade or Denver's 16th street, then maybe a nightclub district makes the most sense for that stretch.

FresnoFacts
Dec 24, 2008, 6:49 PM

It has been a problem in Fresno in the past. As clubs have opened in downtown Fresno the senior citizens living in buildings like Masten Towers have complained about the noise.

econgrad
Dec 24, 2008, 9:30 PM
The Distillery got a big fabric curtain for the window nearest the street, it muffles a lot of the sound, and Distillery staff do crowd control to limit outside noise. They're still doing live shows, though.

Philip, the Railyards is supposed to have housing in every neighborhood. The difference, though, is that in mid-rise/high-rise housing there is enough sound insulation to stop most street noise from getting through, even from a nightclub. If you're 8-10 stories up in a brand new building with insulation, street noise just isn't that big a deal. If you're in a 100 year old two-story wooden house with a 10 foot deep front yard, street noise is a considerably bigger deal.

While I'm sure Thomas Enterprises wants some nightlife component in the Railyards, I think their focus is going to be more towards retail. Besides, I don't see why we should have to wait another decade or so for them to build the neighborhood first.

Why not just put this "nightlife district" in a place that already has buildings, doesn't have a whole lot of residents, already has a couple of nightlife destinations, and seriously needs some evening foot traffic? Like, say, K Street?

K Street (outside of the Westfield part) is an abject failure as a retail shopping mall (although the Westfield part is, at best, feebly limping along.) This much is obvious. So why keep trying? If suburban soccer moms don't want to go there because parking's not so good and the neighborhood isn't as safe-appearing as Arden Fair or the Roseville Galleria, then stop trying to woo them in a failed effort.

I have gone clubbing in a few cities around the country, and almost universally, nightclubs tend to be in places where parking is crappy (either walking quite a few blocks or paying for parking is pretty standard) and the neighborhood generally isn't the best (ranges from kinda hinky to downright dangerous). Getting spare-changed while out on the town is pretty much expected. Most people who go to nightclubs expect that sort of thing--so why not put clubs in a neighborhood that works with that description?

We've already got an incubator of sorts along 10th Street. Things are already pretty busy there on weekends: between Temple Coffee, Parlare, the Cosmo/Social and Grange/Scandal, there is already a lot of foot traffic. Within a block in either direction is the Crest Theater, Pyramid, and Marilyn's. Throw a dance club and a couple of live music venues into some of those vacant storefronts and I'm willing to wager a few of those restaurants that close at 3 PM right now would start reopening in the evening to sop up some of the late-night traffic, and retailers who market to nightclub-goers would start sniffing around for vacant storefronts.

And because new buildings, as mentioned above, are relatively immune to noise problems, there's still the potential to put more residential into the K Street corridor.

K street is a great place for clubs, I agree completely. I am confused though, what about Old Sac? Isn't this the area for clubs and bars in Sac? I think we all agree Old Sac kind of sucks and is kind of dangerous sometimes as well, so would K street be better and why?

Philip: I found many similar stories as well, its just strange that I never heard of such complaints when I lived in other cities... Maybe diluted among other stories.

wburg
Dec 24, 2008, 10:17 PM
econgrad: Personally I don't think Old Sac sucks, and it's not at all dangerous (it still has some of the old rep but these days it's totally undeserved) but I don't think it is big enough to be the sole nightlife/entertainment destination for the whole Sacramento region. Because that's the idea--create a regional entertainment destination, not just a local one. Old Sacramento is only six blocks, and the majority of its attractions are not nightclubs.

Plus, please keep in mind that K Street goes all the way to the river. Start the entertainment at K Street and Front, follow it under I-5, keep it going around the mall (or in it!) and out onto K from 7th-12th to the epicenter at 10th and K. If the streetcar goes in as planned, there will be a very handy public-transit link from Front and Capitol to the K Street Mall that goes all the way to 15th and K (and with expansions, farther east than that), running every 10-15 minutes.

Besides, part of the idea is to reactivate currently-vacant storefronts, and there are a lot more vacant storefronts in the K Street pedestrian mall area than in Old Sac, at least at street level.

Finally, if we do get enough critical mass to get people heading downtown for entertainment in big numbers, Old Sacramento's venues will benefit and more will open. Midtown's restaurants and cafes will benefit, as will the other nightclub epicenter around 20th and K.

econgrad
Dec 25, 2008, 9:32 PM
Well, we strongly disagree about Old Sac. Though your K street paragraph is a great idea, and we agree on the critical mass. We all have been agreeing for years we need more residents MT/DT to support everything as well. The plan for the street car, will it be running late? Will it be running during the late night life on K? I missed the info on this, I will search through the thread....

Majin
Dec 25, 2008, 9:42 PM
Are they still doing the ball drop on K street for new years? I was going to hit up tahoe but I ended up saying fuck it I'm keeping it sactown this year.

Sachornet
Jan 9, 2009, 6:18 PM
I thought Sacramento was reaching it's saturation point with clubs/lounges, but there might be another one coming to 10th street between J and K.

http://www.twinsoup.com/2009/01/sacramento-ruby-skye.html

sugit
Jan 9, 2009, 7:20 PM
That's cool. I always thought that building would make a bitchin' club.

BrianSac
Jan 10, 2009, 2:03 AM
That's cool. I always thought that building would make a bitchin' club.

Me too! It used to be a Wells Fargo and there was some awesome decorative tile and woodwork inside. Same era as the Citizen Hotel maybe a little earlier.

wburg
Jan 10, 2009, 2:51 AM
A little later, I think (1930s or 1940s) but yeah, it's a great building with a dramatic interior. Great spot for a nightclub, and yet another bright spot for what I hope will become a nightclub district along K Street.

That kind of went under the radar in Weintraub's predictions: in some ways there was "no action" on K Street (at least on the 700-800 block) but the continued success of the Crest, Parlare and Temple, and the opening of the Citizen/Grange/Scandal and Cosmopolitan/Cosmo/Social, are a really positive sign.

Because even in rough economic times, people want to be entertained, and they want to party. So maybe killing off the idea of K Street as a shopping center, and allowing it to flourish as a nightlife/entertainment district, is where things are headed. Eventually plus several thousand units of mid/high-rise housing, of course...

sugit
Jan 10, 2009, 7:01 AM
There is a BBQ spot opening at 24th and J "My BBQ Spot" Open until 2am on weekends. It's in the old Tamarind spot.

otnemarcaS
Jan 13, 2009, 4:00 AM
Spent many a weekends at Ruby Skye in San Francisco when I lived there. Should be great. While Bob Shallit predicts that several nightclubs will close in 2009, I don't really see that happening. Most Sacramento nightclubs, unlike many in SF, are not strictly 100% nightclubs. They usually sustain themselves with lunch/dinner offerings as regular restaurants too.

My only problem with all this nightclubs opening up is that most are upscale night clubs. This new place will now join Mix, Social and Tre that have opened in the last several months. Drink prices at many of the new places borders on ridiculous.

econgrad
Jan 13, 2009, 4:12 AM
Spent many a weekends at Ruby Skye in San Francisco when I lived there. Should be great. While Bob Shallit predicts that several nightclubs will close in 2009, I don't really see that happening. Most Sacramento nightclubs, unlike many in SF, are not strictly 100% nightclubs. They usually sustain themselves with lunch/dinner offerings as regular restaurants too.

My only problem with all this nightclubs opening up is that most are upscale night clubs. This new place will now join Mix, Social and Tre that have opened in the last several months. Drink prices at many of the new places borders on ridiculous.

Man, I completely agree with everything you stated here. I don't think any clubs are going to close either, maybe one but it seems that when one closes someone opens up a new one in the same location. How many times has that club on K street changed names? Buddha Bar to Cabana, and I think it was something else before that. I was out Saturday evening, and I know everyone says "Oh, it was second Saturday, that's why the streets and clubs where crowded." I do not believe that, we now have almost 2 million people living in the Sacramento area, and now the area is happening and there is a great nightlife and we have grown up. For some reason, especially for the people who have lived here for most of their lives, they still can't see it and make the same complaints about Sacramento that were valid to say 10 years ago. People who move here for the first time, love it and say its very cool and happening, I wish many of us would (not many of us on this forum but people I know and meet around town) realize how great this place is now and stop the San Francisco comparisons especially when it comes to nightlife. Thanks for reading my rant. :cool:

Edit: And if any of you have not been to the Citizen Hotel yet, go inside and have a drink and look around. Go to the 2nd floor lounge and order a "Juan and Only", from Juan the bartender if you are not driving. The Citizen is a great example of how grown up Sacramento is now.

sugit
Jan 13, 2009, 5:13 AM
Ruby Sky would be great. There is a need for a large dance club like that.

My only problem with all this nightclubs opening up is that most are upscale night clubs

Ditto. I love that we've seen more of those around Sac, but I'd like to see more of the Pub's and Shady Lady type places as well.

Something nice, but not "upscale" like The Park, Social or MIX. If Devere and The Shady Lady turn out like I think they will, I plan on making sure I spend my money there to support them and help show there is a market for something else other than just upscale "Ultra" lounges.

I walked by Devere's yesterday and I love the way it looks from the outside. (Open to the public on the 30th). The Shady Lady is also coming along nicely as well.

I love this line from the Devere's menu:
Desserts
You’re in a Pub! See our drink menu!

Taken from the website (http://www.deverespub.com/photos_view.php?id=3):
http://www.deverespub.com/photos_viewimage.php?id=8&type=large

http://www.deverespub.com/photos_viewimage.php?id=15&type=large

http://www.deverespub.com/photos_viewimage.php?id=13&type=large

http://www.deverespub.com/photos_viewimage.php?id=26&type=large

http://www.deverespub.com/photos_viewimage.php?id=25&type=large

Plus, with all the lounges, clubs and bars that are opening up, we've been starting to see many more late night food options.

otnemarcaS
Jan 13, 2009, 1:21 PM
I've also walked past Deveres on the way to Mix and The Grand. Certainly going to be a good place to go down a pint or so. I think Devere and Mix are both having a joint grand opening on Jan 22. Mix already had a soft opening on NYE. That block should be pretty hopping once all the other restaurants are completed and open.

innov8
Feb 22, 2009, 6:35 PM
Marcos Bretón: Eateries up in arms over proposed city subsidy
Sacramento Bee
Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009

History has known a "War of the Roses" and a "Battle of the Bulge."

In Sacramento, some of our city's finest restaurateurs are massing to block a group of hot new bars proposed for a depressed area of K Street Mall.

We'll call this "The Fight of the Foodies."

Involved is Mason Wong, owner of Mason's – which graces the corner of 15th and L streets. Next to him is Ernesto Jimenez, owner of Ernesto's and Zocalo – possibly the finest Mexican restaurant in the capital city.

And Randy Paragary – a Don Corleone to Sacramento food barons – is mixed up in all this, but his position seems to change daily.

Last week The Bee detailed the business angle of this brouhaha. The city is considering a $5.4 million subsidy to secure entertainment venues for a struggling area near the corner of 10th and K streets.

San Francisco nightclub owner George Karpaty is poised to move in. There is talk of a dance spot for the over-30 crowd, a high-end pizza place and a modern take on the "dive bar" concept.

Opponents object that in a perilous economy, the city will subsidize competition against them.

But this is about more than mere business.

"The city might damage hospitality offerings in other parts of town in favor of K Street," said Rob Kerth, executive director of the Midtown Business Association.

Ah, Sacramento politics. It always includes a neighborhood skirmish. In this case, midtown eateries (which have flourished while downtown has languished) are seemingly unmoved by a righteous push to clean up a blighted stretch of downtown.

A vibrant downtown Sacramento is in everyone's interest – that's what local pols always say.

This is headed for a City Council vote March 3. It will be interesting to see how Mayor Kevin Johnson handles the dispute.

Mason Wong was a big supporter of Johnson's mayoral campaign. Developer David Taylor – who would bring Karpaty to Sacramento – supported Johnson's opponent – former Mayor Heather Fargo.

"I don't like being in the middle of a controversy," Taylor said. "I don't like being the bad guy."

Taylor is not the bad guy, and the disgruntled restaurateurs have reasonable arguments. They've worked hard to make Sacramento better.

But you can't vote down needed development because you fear competition – that's un-American. And you can't approve Karpaty's bid, then prevent construction of other downtown bars and restaurants – another bad idea now kicking around City Hall.

So far, Mayor Johnson has been great at press conferences and CNN appearances.

However, on this issue, it's time for him to become a real leader and do what's right.

Sacramento needs more bars – more activity – downtown. These days, who doesn't need a drink?

http://www.sacbee.com/breton/story/1643330.html

sugit
Apr 4, 2009, 7:08 PM
Magpie Cafe and Market is open at 14th and R Street. I had lunch there yesterday...really really good food, and they have Monkey Knife Fight on tab!

Shady Lady I believe is opening this weekend and Burgers and Brew I think will open in the next week or so.

I had a chance to take a peek inside Burgers and Brew...ridiculous good beer selection. One of the best I've seen in Sac.

Lots of good beers on tap, tons of Belgian beers, lots of Japanese beers (I saw at least four styles of Hitachino) you don't find in many places. The prices were very fair as well. This place could be dangerous to me....

I have a feeling that block is going to be another cool hangout block in downtown.

arod74
Apr 6, 2009, 8:22 PM
Damn it! So many new places to grab a bite and beer and so little discetionary income. A good problem to have.

sugit
Apr 6, 2009, 8:52 PM
Shady Lady is opening this Thursday. Burgers and Brew for 2nd Saturday, maybe the day before.

goldcntry
Apr 7, 2009, 4:30 PM
Anyone been to Hot Italiano on 16th yet? I'm tempted the next time I visit Blood Source to walk across the street and grab a pie...

BrianSac
Apr 7, 2009, 5:09 PM
Anyone been to Hot Italiano on 16th yet? I'm tempted the next time I visit Blood Source to walk across the street and grab a pie...

I've been there, not bad, friendly staff. It's definitely worth a visit.

But, I didn't see Torani Italian Sodas on the menu for the alcoholically-challenged.

An Italian place in California should serve Torani I would think... being that its a Northern Cal/Italian family creation.

criminallawyer
Apr 16, 2009, 2:23 PM
Sacramento isn't known for its nightlife, but there are still plenty of fun places to go after dark. Many of the restaurants in Old Sacramento and the rest of the city have live entertainment at least twice a week. Where there is no live music, there's often a DJ, who may be playing anything from salsa to country and swing. (Many clubs feature a different kind of music each night.) Cover charges are generally nonexistent or very reasonable. Clubs usually close 1-2 am and many late-night establishments aren't open Sunday nights.

wburg
Apr 16, 2009, 3:52 PM
No live music? Normally there are many live shows every day of the week. In Old Sacramento alone there are a couple places to see live bands, whether it's the cover band on the Delta King or whatever touring show NorCal Wendy has booked at the Speakeasy Lounge, and that's just in a few square blocks.

Grimnebulin
Apr 16, 2009, 10:43 PM
Went to Burgers and Brew last night - had a great meal. Had the Jalapeno Bacon Cheeseburger and an Allegash Stout and Brother Thelonious Ale. Great food and beer selection...great add to the neighborhood.

Also checked out the Shady Lady last night - looks great inside, though they're still waiting to get their entertainment license so they can have live music on the nice stage they constructed.

Both are great additions to the neighborhood and I definitely plan on spending more time around this area now. :tup: :banana:

econgrad
Apr 16, 2009, 11:29 PM
No live music? Normally there are many live shows every day of the week. In Old Sacramento alone there are a couple places to see live bands, whether it's the cover band on the Delta King or whatever touring show NorCal Wendy has booked at the Speakeasy Lounge, and that's just in a few square blocks.

Please Wburg, PLEASE! Do not call that crap they played on the Delta King music! For the love of God! :yuck:
Wendy does not book at Speakeasy Lounge anymore, she books at a club in Citrus Heights called "The Fire Escape".

wburg
Apr 17, 2009, 5:07 AM
econgrad: Okay, I don't care for the Delta King's house band either, and didn't know Wendy wasn't booking the Speakeasy anymore...point being, "criminallawyer" seemed under the impression that there was no live music in Sacramento. I can't necessarily vouch for the quality of all the live music in Sacramento, but it certainly does exist. Maybe they didn't get out of Old Sacramento?

econgrad
Apr 17, 2009, 6:18 AM
econgrad: Okay, I don't care for the Delta King's house band either, and didn't know Wendy wasn't booking the Speakeasy anymore...point being, "criminallawyer" seemed under the impression that there was no live music in Sacramento. I can't necessarily vouch for the quality of all the live music in Sacramento, but it certainly does exist. Maybe they didn't get out of Old Sacramento?

Oh I agree! I was just joking with you in a friendly way..
:cheers:
The Wendy booking info was just info.

wburg
Apr 17, 2009, 2:30 PM
Right on then...the Fire Escape is a decent place to see bands, even if it is in a strip mall waaay out in the burbs. For a while there Wendy was booking some great shows in Old Sac. These days, there are so many great live shows going on in Midtown that I miss half of it, especially now that the gaggle of locals that went to SxSW are back home with extra buzz.

econgrad
Apr 19, 2009, 8:43 PM
Cheap local shows create priceless memories

The local music scene provides one of the most economical forms of entertainment in Sacramento. Times are tough; money is tight. Almost everyone is feeling the affects of this recession from the white-collar to the blue-collar worker. As the unemployment rate climbs and more businesses shut down or scale back every day, one constant remains: You can still catch great live music for $10 or less every weekend in Sacramento.

Attending a live show is a unique experience, one in which you are up-close and personal with the band, where you are part of a select few who get to be involved in local history witnessing a young band play its first show, a veteran band celebrate its 10th anniversary, or even a particularly talented band play its last local show before they go on a country-wide tour and gain national notoriety. For less than the cost of most movies, sporting events, dances, dinners, nights out bowling or mini golfing, you gain the bragging rights of, "I knew them when..."

Bragging rights aside, local bands play for bargain prices. On an average Friday night, the all-ages crowd has three solid options to serve their local music needs. Downtown at The Java Lounge, you can see four bands in an intimate setting for only $6. If your math skills are lacking, that's only $2 a band. Those seeking a larger venue with a more professional setup can head out to Orangevale, pay $10 and see Sacramento's better-known bands grace the stages of Club Retro or The Boardwalk.

The 21-plus crowd has more options with the many bars downtown such as Old Ironsides, The Distillery, The Blue Lamp, and Fox and Goose. Fox and Goose has shows for as low as $1 a band. In suburbia, there's The Fire Escape in Citrus Heights, with shows as low as $5, The Power House Pub in Folsom, host to KWOD's free shows on Wednesdays, as well as The Stag in Woodland and many small bars in Old Roseville. The options aren't endless, but they provide a solid selection from which to choose.

With the money you save from skipping that 3-D movie or game of glow bowling, you can buy a drink at the bar, a CD or T-shirt from the band, or save it for gas money. If you're looking to stretch your dollar, you should be looking for the next local show.

Admission to local music show: $8
Singing along to your favorite songs: Free
Listening as new songs are debuted: Free
Dancing with a bunch of sweaty strangers: Free
Getting that cute guy or girl's number: Free
Leaving with the memory of all the above: Priceless

Author: Laura Winn
Laura Winn is an Examiner from Sacramento. You can see Laura's articles on Laura's Home Page.

Surefiresacto
Apr 20, 2009, 4:02 PM
Downtown at The Java Lounge, you can see four bands in an intimate setting for only $6. If your math skills are lacking, that's only $2 a band.

Forgive me if my math skills are lacking, but I think that equates to $1.50 per band.

econgrad
Apr 20, 2009, 5:32 PM
Forgive me if my math skills are lacking, but I think that equates to $1.50 per band.

I didn't write that article!
:notacrook: :haha:

Surefiresacto
Apr 20, 2009, 8:19 PM
I didn't write that article!
:notacrook: :haha:

That makes it even funnier. :haha:

innov8
May 3, 2009, 4:27 AM
I don't understand how the Tower Café made the list?

Sacramento Finally Makes Zagat Survey
Sacramento’s dining scene finally received recognition from Zagat, who in
their 2009 America’s Top Restaurant’s Survey included the metro for the first time.

Among the Top 20 Restaurants listed by Zagat:
Biba Restaurant
Bidwell Street Bistro
Ella
Firehouse Restaurant
Frank Fat’s
Hawks
The Kitchen
Kru
La Bonne Soupe Café
Lemon Grass Restaurant
Mason’s
Mikuni
Mulvaney’s
Osteria Fasulo
Paragary’s
Tower Café
Tuli Bistro
The Waterboy
Zocalo

sugit
May 27, 2009, 3:25 PM
Per sactown mag month, Crush 29 from Roseville is opening a new location at 16th and K, which I assume is the ground floor of the office building on the SE corner that used to have the horse out front.

From it looks like they will enclose the open first floor to accommodate the new space, which looks pretty sharp from the rough renderings they have posted.

Cynikal
May 27, 2009, 4:16 PM
I don't understand how the Tower Café made the list?

Sacramento Finally Makes Zagat Survey
Sacramento’s dining scene finally received recognition from Zagat, who in
their 2009 America’s Top Restaurant’s Survey included the metro for the first time.

Among the Top 20 Restaurants listed by Zagat:
Biba Restaurant
Bidwell Street Bistro
Ella
Firehouse Restaurant
Frank Fat’s
Hawks
The Kitchen
Kru
La Bonne Soupe Café
Lemon Grass Restaurant
Mason’s
Mikuni
Mulvaney’s
Osteria Fasulo
Paragary’s
Tower Café
Tuli Bistro
The Waterboy
Zocalo

Clearly not in this order.

And to just throw it out there, La Bonne Soupe is amazing. Totally reminds of a place that I went to in Paris almost daily.

cozmoose
Jun 10, 2009, 7:30 AM
Not sure if this movie, "The Ugly Truth", is set in Sacramento but the trailer uses the Sac skyline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g5QNpucNMw

JeffZurn
Jun 10, 2009, 10:44 PM
^don't think I would ever watch a movie like this (until the wife rented it) but I will just to see how much Sacramento is showed.

Not sure if anybody watches the Mentalist, but I watch that for the same reason

Majin
Jun 11, 2009, 12:58 AM
Well I guess Sacramento joins the list of cities movies suposidly take place in but are actually filmed in LA. I'll care more when movies are actually filmed here.

wburg
Jun 11, 2009, 8:44 PM
Better than the other way around...East Sacramento was used as the intro/outro shot in American Beauty and was used as the background for 1960s Oakland in Panther, and in the 1920s/30s there was a whole spate of movies set supposedly on the Mississippi River but filmed in Sacramento (we were closer, had a river and riverboats.)

There are also a lot of local movie producers making homegrown movies here, like Monster From Bikini Beach. Lots of local talent in that one!

Majin
Jun 11, 2009, 9:47 PM
Better than the other way around...East Sacramento was used as the intro/outro shot in American Beauty and was used as the background for 1960s Oakland in Panther, and in the 1920s/30s there was a whole spate of movies set supposedly on the Mississippi River but filmed in Sacramento (we were closer, had a river and riverboats.)

There are also a lot of local movie producers making homegrown movies here, like Monster From Bikini Beach. Lots of local talent in that one!

Interesting, I had no idea (parts of) American Beauty was shot in East Sacramento, I'm going to have to watch that movie again. I forget, where was the movie suppose to have taken place?

Never seen or heard of Panther. What kind of background shot was used, the skyline? Can't imagine that since we pratically had no skyline in the 60's but then again I'm not sure Oakland did either.

wburg
Jun 12, 2009, 12:04 AM
Panther was about the Black Panther Party, and part was shot in Sacramento because of the Panthers' protests at the state capitol. I think they also used some shots of J Street to represent parts of Oakland, mostly establishing shots close to the street. They didn't use a skyline shot.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114084/

American Beauty didn't specify a town, it was just supposed to be a generic upper middle-class suburb. Most of the film was shot in Los Angeles, but if you watch the opening credits and final fade-out, it is recognizably East Sacramento (one can spot Sisters of Mercy Hospital in the shot.)

sugit
Oct 7, 2009, 8:10 PM
Looks like the Sacramento Comedy Spot is moving from Broadway over to the MARRS building. Great addition..IMO

Ryan@CU
Oct 7, 2009, 10:33 PM
From "The Ugly Truth"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/MagnaRyan/Picture2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/MagnaRyan/Picture3-1.jpg

From "XXX" with Vin Diesel
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/MagnaRyan/Sac-1.jpg

American Beauty
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/MagnaRyan/americanbeauty.jpg

Other movies:
"Phenomenon" - a good portion of it was shot in Auburn
"Lucky Numbers" - another Travolta film shot in downtown sac

Grimnebulin
Nov 16, 2009, 11:34 PM
Masque is re-opening soon (few weeks) as Sienna. Lighter cuisine and reconfigured bar space.

Also, two groups are looking at the old 55 Degrees space possibly - Ink and/or Taylor's from what I hear. Not sure why anyone would open in that space in this economy unless it's a screaming deal...

wburg
Dec 5, 2009, 6:45 PM
From today's Shallit column:

http://www.sacbee.com/shallit/story/2371816.html

Bob Shallit: Owners hope vegan cafe's a natural fit for Sacramento
ShareThis
Buzz up!
By Bob Shallit
bshallit@sacbee.com
Published: Saturday, Dec. 5, 2009 - 12:00 am | Page 2B

Sacramento's about to get its first vegan eatery.

No meat, no dairy, no honey. No animal products of any sort.

Just "delicious, heart-warming food," says Melissa Wilhelm, who's starting the business with husband Khy'em Amri in the former True Love Coffeehouse at 2315 K St.

The couple have been running a wholesale baking business for the past two years, delivering vegan goodies to Whole Foods, Java City and other spots.

But, Wilhelm says, "my dream was always to open a cafe."

The Sugar Plum Vegan Cafe will open in early February. The specialties of the house? Curry dishes, lasagna, potato pancakes – "home-style comfort foods with a little world fusion," says Amri.

Also planned: live music and other entertainment in the dining area and, upstairs, a small retail operation with clothing sales.

All vegan, of course.

Can Sacramento support a pure vegan eatery?

"We hope so," Wilhelm says, laughing. Her husband says business will grow as non-vegans visit and discard negative preconceptions.

His prediction: They'll experience "a revolution of the taste buds."

Monkey business

Speaking of eateries, we now have details about the new business taking over the former Three Monkeys space in downtown Sacramento.

Opening next month is Vivé Cocina Mexicana & Ultra Lounge – an upscale eatery by day that will become a dance spot on weekends, with Top 40 music on Fridays and Latin pop on Saturdays.

"People are going to have a really great time here, whether they're eating, drinking or dancing," says Fili Sainz, a longtime local DJ who's one of three partners in the business.

Gabriel Ochoa will head up the food side of the business and promises upscale cuisine comparable to Zócolo and Centro. Promotions for the venture will be handled by Felipe Olvera.

"There's really good chemistry," Sainz says of the partnership. "Everyone brings something different to the table."

Felipe Olvera is the same person who was getting ready to open a restaurant/nightclub at 21st and O (Antigua Cantina) but it looks like he found a better spot for it downtown--something to brighten up the 700 block of K Street at night. Apparently there is some sort of spa going into the building at 21st and N.

The news about 2315 K is kind of neat too, although I don't think they're the first vegan eatery--there have been quite a few vegetarian restaurants in town over the years (although they usually included cheese) and I think the Vietnamese place on Broadway and a raw-food place near the Co-Op are strictly vegan. Even the True Love was ovo-lacto vegetarian.

Surefiresacto
Oct 7, 2010, 5:21 PM
Congrats Temple!

Posted by Blair Anthony Robertson
October 6, 2010

Temple Coffee is adding to its reputation for superior coffee. The Sacramento coffee house and roaster, was recently awarded an astounding score of 97 by www.CoffeeReview.com for its heirloom coffee called Guatemala Hunapu Antigua Bourbon.

Big news? Actually, it's huge. Coffee Review has the most prestigious ratings in the industry and this is the highest score given any coffee in North America in 2010.

The news left Temple's owner, Sean Kohmescher, in disbelief when he first heard. When did it start to sink in? When the shop's website began getting hits from all over the country and Temple practically sold out its inventory of this particular bean to coffee lovers in New York, Virginian, Florida, and elsewhere.

Local coffee aficionados may be out of luck. Kohmescher said the Guatemala Hunapu is pretty much sold out at the Temple Shops on S Street in midtown and 10th Street downtown. But both shops held back enough to have special tastings this Saturday from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. You'll get 14 ounces made in a French press for $5.50.

I managed to nab a bag of whole beans online -- $15 for 12 ounces, plus $5.45 for shipping.

Ted Stachura, the assistant editor at Coffee Review, said he knew right away he was tasting something special. Coffee roasters and shops throughout North America routinely send beans to the Oakland-based Coffee Review for an assessment. A rating in the high 80s or low 90s can help sales significantly and bring prestige to a business.

Stachura and Kenneth Davids, the editor and well-known author of books on coffee, were the tasters.

"To me, it had a fruit quality to it that was very distinct and very pronounced, almost a black currant character," Stachura said by telephone. "We definitely both really liked this coffee and we knew it was way up there in the score. It's very unusual to give a coffee a 10 in the flavor category."

Temple has only been roasting its own beans since March. The roaster is Ed Whitman. Wonder what he will do for an encore. Congratulations to everyone involved.

wburg
Nov 5, 2010, 8:17 PM
Here's the scoop on the 700 block and its live music venue, from the Business Journal.

I'm a bit leery of some of their assumptions, like a grocery store requiring 5,000 "rooftops" and downtown Sacramento falling short of that. There are 17,000 people within one mile of Downtown Plaza, and another 17,000 in the other half of the central city, and currently 3 supermarkets, including the Safeway on Alhambra. There are also about 100,000 daytime employees, most of whom seem to spend a lot of time and money in the little convenience stores, sundry shops and liquor stores downtown, most of whom would patronize a full-service grocery store. Not to mention that 5000 rooftops in the suburbs adds up to around 1250 acres of quarter-acre suburban houses--or two square miles, equivalent to the western half of Sacramento's central city. Do they think that people in existing central city residential neighborhoods wouldn't patronize a downtown grocery store?

The news about the music venue is pretty exciting, though--and here is the picture someone asked for in another thread.

http://assets.bizjournals.com/sacramento/print-edition/2010/11/05/700-K-St.jpg
Developer proposes music venue to anchor K Street’s 700 block
Premium content from Sacramento Business Journal - by Michael Shaw
Date: Thursday, November 4, 2010, 6:30pm PDT
Related:
Retailing & Restaurants, Travel Industry
Enlarge Image
Rendering courtesy of D&S Development

The music venue on the 700 block of K Street will be on the former site of the Men’s Wearhouse.

A music venue for 500 people will anchor the revamped K Street Mall, say developers designing mixed-use projects on the corridor long considered ground zero for the rebirth of downtown Sacramento.

The multi-tiered concert space will sit on the corner of K and 7th streets, alongside local retailers and restaurants with a “Main Street” feel of second-story apartments inside K Street’s historic shops. That’s according to D&S Development, one of the partners negotiating with the city to remake the 700 block and enhance nightlife along the corridor.

The urban renewal can’t come soon enough for Sacramento, which will have invested more than $60 million in remaking two blocks of K Street if projects proposed there are built. While the city is looking to complete these deals, it also is examining the post-recession course for infill and redevelopment.

There has been $617 million invested in downtown over the past five years in 22 projects and all but five were to have been public-private partnerships. The K street projects on the 700 and 800 blocks also will be public-private partnerships that rely on subsidies.

“The project addresses a lot of the concerns about K Street,” said Bay Miry, a principal of D&S Development. “It has significant housing, diverse and predominantly local retail, and removes blight.”

The development team on the 800 block, headed by David S. Taylor Interests Inc., has not revealed more concrete plans than when it was selected to negotiate with the city in July.

At the time, it proposed 120 housing units, including renovation of the Bel-vue Hotel and 20,000 square feet of retail.

Signature projects such as these could be the last of their type for awhile.

In a meeting with the Urban Land Institute last week, Leslie Fritzsche, Sacramento’s downtown development manager, said the city will no longer focus on a few small areas or wait for big projects to arrive. At that same meeting, an executive from a major national firm described how redevelopment will be far more challenging in a post-recession world.

“Those days are over,” said Mike Daly, a senior vice president of development for Forest City Enterprises Inc., speaking of a time when developers fronted the funds for infrastructure improvements on big developments. “You need to get creative to bridge that gap.”

Forest City is a publicly traded real estate firm that has tackled some of the country’s largest projects, including building thousands of housing units at Denver’s decommissioned Stapleton Airport.

Daly said it takes 5,000 rooftops to create sufficient demand for one grocery store. Downtown housing falls far short of that.

Developer Kipp Blewett, part of the team that created The Citizen hotel, noted that if Sacramento had built all the high-rise condominium towers proposed prior to the recession and real estate crash, it still wouldn’t equal 5,000 rooftops.

Blewett, who had pitched a more ambitious concept for K Street, said downtown needs to concentrate on projects that make it a destination, such as The Railyards, a refurbished Downtown Plaza mall, a revamped J-K-L corridor and a new sports and entertainment complex.

“If we wait for housing, we’ll be waiting for the next 20 years,” he said.

Meanwhile, Fritzsche acknowledged the city needs to advance projects already under way, such as “The Warren” — a 117-condominium project with ground-floor retail on 16th Street proposed by Sacramento-based Nehemiah Community Reinvestment Fund and Em Johnson Interest of San Francisco. The project needs to pre-sell units to receive financing.

“I don’t think we do a good job of marketing and promoting,” Fritzsche said. “We don’t focus our attention as effectively as we can.”

On K Street, the D&S and Taylor projects will bring the first new housing to the urban core in years. Development teams expect to complete the deals in the spring and start construction immediately afterward.

After touring the buildings on the 700 block, D&S Development dropped the number of proposed apartments there from 136 to 125 and increased the retail space to about 60,000 square feet.

The team has a nonbinding letter of interest from the owners of the Shady Lady restaurant — Alex Origoni, Jason Boggs and Garret Van Vleck — to operate the 12,500-square-foot music venue proposed for the buildings now occupied by Men’s Wearhouse and Joe Sun. The venue would include a restaurant and bar.

The smaller Shady Lady has a stage for musical acts, and the owners are “plugged into the music scene,” Miry said.

He and his partners have identified users for about 70 percent of the retail space. They have nonbinding letters from local retail operators including De Vere’s Irish Pub, Kru and Red Lotus restaurants, and Tuli Bistro. Miry also plans to bring in a clothing boutique and a bakery/diner concept.

“We have found a significant amount of potential basement retail space where the original elevation of K Street was,” Miry said. “We have also found potential roof-top retail spaces.”

mshaw@bizjournals.com | 916-558-7861

Majin
Nov 5, 2010, 8:32 PM
Hes right, much more housing is needed downtown.

Majin
Nov 5, 2010, 8:32 PM
Also, instead of building condos, there needs to be focus on building more apartment buildings.

wburg
Nov 6, 2010, 4:00 AM
There does need to be a lot more housing in the downtown core--eventually, thousands of units. The several hundred units in the two K Street projects are a start. The point is that there are already many people living close to downtown, just not nearly enough in the CBD itself, and between the current population and the transient worker population (five times its size) there is almost certainly enough of a market for a downtown market. Given the way that money is working these days and in the near future, things like residential high-rise towers (rental or for sale) probably aren't going to happen soon, but there are a lot of opportunities to put housing into existing buildings.

In fact, once these projects get built, the most "blighted" spots in the central business district will be the vacant buildings where there are residential towers planned, on the 1000 block of J Street. Of course, the owners of those buildings could decide to fix them up and turn them into residential units--and if K Street's experiment is a success, they just might.

otnemarcaS
Dec 31, 2010, 7:44 AM
Can't wait for these venues to open. Will be a good addition to K street. With Social/Cosmo, Parlare Euro Lounge, Citizen's hotel, Pyramid, Ella, Marilyn's on K, that new tequilla/Mexican restaurant opening soon, Crest, Imax and others, that area may fast become core downtown's main entertainment district.

Watch out Midtown ... Downtown rising.

http://www.sacramentopress.com/uploads/images/prod/5fe6a905ea9946dcbf2624b2e3671930_s.jpghttp://www.sacramentopress.com/uploads/images/prod/88c5416d8ade4ccb867631ec25af483b_s.jpghttp://www.sacramentopress.com/uploads/images/prod/23dd91d53a8f4b9489598a31c0f6c62b_s.jpghttp://www.sacramentopress.com/uploads/images/prod/5cb1ae51969a4758ba46b8b212047cac_s.jpg

New faces on K Street
by Suzanne Hurt, published on December 16, 2010 at 6:35PM

Three new façades add a bit of “wow” to K Street Mall.

Work is close to wrapping up on San Francisco nightclub owner George Karpaty's new businesses, Dive Bar, District 30 and Pizza Rock. A month away from the expected openings, contractors applied some of the finishing touches to the exteriors Thursday.

The bar, club and restaurant technically occupy one building, owned by Sacramento developer David Taylor and CIM. But the exteriors were rebuilt to look like three distinct, separate spaces – from sleek contemporary to slightly edgy to quaint, Old World charm.

The façades are like book covers, designed to entice by giving just a taste of what's inside, said the project's architectural design manager, Michael Boskovich of RMB Architects in Sacramento.

"This is – in my opinion, as a longtime local, – a big step up, something that's hopefully very contagious and will have legs in Sacramento," he said. "That's one of the things I appreciate about George's group – stepping out and doing this and, of course, including us."

District 30 at 1022 K St. sports a contemporary, minimalist exterior to match the interior of the sleek, elegant over-30 dance club. Three sets of double glass doors were set in a frame of white, metal composite panels. A copper and bronze "District 30" sign sits beneath 20 gray panels that will feature changing collages of illuminated art once the business opens.

"The sign is very subtle. It's not as much attitude or in your face as Pizza Rock," Boskovich said.

Pizza Rock, with its red neon sign and laser-cut metal flames, seems to burst from between its two sister venues. Filigreed flowers, hearts, stars and butterflies – designed to look like tattoo art – soften the sign, inspired by tattoos worn by Pizza Rock co-owner Tony Gemignani's wife. LED backlights will be added to give the flame a shadow.

Gears were bolted onto the tan travertine tile exterior to emulate old earthquake ties used to reinforce buildings. The centerpiece for an outdoor seating area in front is a glass- and mesh wire-enclosed fireplace built into an industrial-looking copper cauldron made to look like it was reclaimed from a junkyard. Inside, the other side of the cauldron holds one of the restaurant's pizza ovens.

"It's meant to add to the ambiance out here," Boskovich said.

Dive Bar at 1016 K St. was given an Old World hotel feel, with a brick façade and copper-penny storefront. Three curtained, "second-story" windows add to the illusion.

Stockton muralist Carlos Lopez painted Dive Bar's sign to mimic old painted ads still found downtown, including next door at 1030 K St., which contains Ambrosia Cafe. Lopez also painted Pizza Rock's ceiling mural resembling Michelangelo's "The Creation of Adam" – with the hand of God holding out an electric guitar.

Pizza Rock is expected to open Jan. 14. Dive Bar and District 30 are slated to open Jan. 19. Hours will be 11 a.m. to midnight, Sunday through Tuesday, and 11 a.m. to 3 a.m. Wednesday through Saturday.

The building’s renovation added 15 to 20 feet in height to the exterior. Several one-of-a-kind features were designed to create the three distinct looks.

Boskovich, whose company does a lot of retail restaurant work, said he's eager to see more entrepreneurs use such creative, high-quality exteriors on new businesses.

"I'd like to do more like this in Sacramento," he said. "Sacramento's ready."

Sacramento Press Journal (http://www.sacramentopress.com/headline/42329/New_faces_on_K_Street)