PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

mikeohara
Oct 6, 2010, 12:54 PM
Personal note:

- I am very encouraged about the idea of incorporating a downtown terminal into the proposed arena/events centre. I remember that we raised this very possibility in our discussions on this subject on our very own forum here......perhaps they read it! :haha:

- With two universities and two community colleges in town (as well as the UNB Health Sciences campus at the Moncton Hospital), it probably shouldn't be surprising that there are 9,200 post secondary students in the metro area, especially if you included both full time and part time students. If you went further and expanded Codiac Transit into a truly regional transit service, also including places like Shediac and Sackville, then you could toss in Mt. A students as well and come up with a regional total of about 12,000 post secondary students. I really think that Codiac should do this. Regional transit to Shediac would be very popular with commuters and beach goers. Regional transit to Sackville would be popular with students and would greatly improve accessibility of Mt. A to the greater Moncton community.

In any event, this seems like a well thought out report.

Although they didn't mention it in the report, the new Codiac Transit garage and depot on Millenium Blvd. is nearing completion. :tup:

I for one can attest and am frustrated by the express routes in Moncton. Nothing is more frustrating than you are rushing to catch a bus, you are less than a minute from 'rounding the corner to the bus stop, and you see the #1 zoom by, followed less than 10 seconds later, by one of the Express buses - and neither bus is full! If either bus has more than 10 people each I'd be surprised.

Half the time you have it so that the one of the express busses and one of the full route buses (#1, or #2) leap frog each other around the route. The other half the time (usually during peak hours) most of the express busses some how end up clumped up at one end of the route instead of distributed evenly over it providing full coverage.

But I digress,

Every time I'm in the HRM I see how amazingly expansive their metro system is. It seems that no matter what far corner of the HRM you are in you'll find bus service. I really think Moncton needs to look at that.

In my observation what would be a great boost:

In the summer, a 3 time daily shuttle right to Parlee beach entrance (and maybe one more stop on the return leg into downtown Shediac)
2-3 time daily year round shuttle service to Sackville (MonctonRad's point)
This is more of an infrastructure thing, but Invest in eco buses, Fuel cell, electric etc.
Late night or 24 hour service on Core routes in Moncton (Im thinking one Mountain Rd route (1,2,Ex), Elmwood, Single to Dieppe, and a Single to Riverview, and possibly one of the routs that hits the hospitals.. (I know there are risks to that, but you can have a separate fare schedule to incorporate late night runs, and in case of security, you can staff a guard on the bus, and have a camera. ( the buses are already wired for internet, streaming a camera signal back to a monitoring station would not be far fetched))It seems to me, the biggest problem the City has, is that Moncton is expanding ALOT faster than its transport network can expand. Some extreme cases, areas that should have bus service (new areas) have to wait years before they see it, and even then the service is spotty. And areas like Dieppe, have almost no real bus coverage and they need to acknowledge that. The fact that we have no reliable shuttle service to the Airport in a 'major center' blows my mind.

pierremoncton
Oct 6, 2010, 1:04 PM
An article on Hall's Creek Villages (vision lands) in the T&T: http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/article/1250689

And the website is up: http://hallscreek.ca/

MonctonRad
Oct 6, 2010, 8:26 PM
Thanks for the links pierre.

For those amongst us who don't like clicking on links.........I will provide a few images (and comments).

According to the T&T, Hall's Creek Village is a $30M development that will occupy 264 acres out of 1500 acres in the Vision Lands.

This is the area to be developed:
http://hallscreek.ca/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/villages/hallscreek8-1web.jpg
The TCH is to the top of the image and McLaughlin Road is to the right.

Another view: The TCH is to the top right and Wheeler Blvd. is to the top left.
http://hallscreek.ca/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/villages/hallscreek8-2web.jpg
The development will be right behind Ecole Mascaret and Ecole Odysse

This is a typical residential area in the development:
http://hallscreek.ca/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/villages/hcv-cottage-option-v2-1-1.jpg
All the houses are semi-detached and border on a common area in the back.

This shows what the "common area" might look like - sort of a mini-playground area.
http://hallscreek.ca/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/villages/hcv-cottage-option-v2-3-1.jpg

This is an interesting concept for a residential development. Aside from the semi-detached nature of the houses, the development looks like it would be ultra-low density with abundant parkland. The concept of having an interconnected series of mini-villages is intriguing as is the accent on sustainable living and green development.

It will be interesting to see how well this is recieved. It is certainly a non traditional concept. I for one do not want the entire Vision Lands developed in this manner. It would be nice to have areas with higher density as well, especially closer to the Hall's Creek Marsh. Some taller apartment buildings and condos there would look nice as you drive by along Wheeler Blvd.

someone123
Oct 6, 2010, 10:15 PM
Every time I'm in the HRM I see how amazingly expansive their metro system is. It seems that no matter what far corner of the HRM you are in you'll find bus service. I really think Moncton needs to look at that.

Halifax Metro Transit has similar problems covering new development, particularly large subdivisions. Only about 3/4 of the population is served by buses. A very small number live near express buses/BRT or ferries.

Something else to keep in mind is that bus service is not very useful unless it is reasonably good. The twice-a-day milk runs are at best very slow and at worst useless if they don't line up with your schedule. Buses become really useful when there is a mix of express and regular service and frequencies are high enough that you don't really need to worry about schedules much.

In order to have good transit cities also need to fund their systems as a major service (think of how much is spent on public roads and private personal vehicles).

I would love to see the development of automated transit systems that can run small vehicles (electric buses or light rail on surface tracks) at high frequencies and are affordable for cities like Moncton.

JasonL-Moncton
Oct 7, 2010, 12:21 PM
Anyone know what they are building a wooden hut/shelter thingy for on St. George near that used car/boat lot? Drove by yesterday and it was there...

JL

acrew79
Oct 7, 2010, 12:54 PM
Chains expanding now that recession is over

A1By Jesse Robichaud
Times & Transcript Staff

Some of North America's hottest names in retail are headed to Metro Moncton in the next few months.

Eric Pelletier of Enterprise Greater Moncton says shoppers come to Metro Moncton from around the Maritimes, it's the first centre to attract big name stores and outlets, and he said there will soon be news of more exclusive retailers landing here.

"What has made the Greater Moncton region's success on the retail side is always adding new and unique retailers to the mix," said Pelletier, the agency's manager of investment attraction.

"Now that the playing field is getting a little bit more crowded with Saint John and Fredericton and even Halifax having some of the same retailers we have, we are always looking forward to bringing a unique experience to shoppers."

Pelletier and other representatives of Enterprise Greater Moncton are in Toronto this week selling the region's benefits to over 450 sought-after retailers at the National Convention for the International Council of Shopping Centers.

He said the effects of the recession seem to have receded and retailers are ready to spend money on expanding into new markets again.

And it seems Moncton is on their list.

"The feedback so far is very positive. What we are seeing is that retailers are starting back with their expansion plans that were put on ice a few years ago and I can see that having a direct benefit for Moncton," he said.

"We will have announcements in the next few months of either existing retailers in the region expanding their presence or new retailers."

Pelletier said expansion will notably be taking place at Champlain Place mall in Dieppe, as well as Uptown Dieppe and the Mapleton shopping area.

He can't say what names will be setting up shop in Moncton, but there is one name eager shoppers can cross off their shopping lists - at least for now.

"We're not talking to Ikea," he said with a laugh.

"That's one everybody would like to see but there's no interest (from Ikea) at this point."

So who is on the move to Moncton?

Pelletier said it is up to developers and retail chains to make the specific announcements, but he said Metro Moncton's shopping landscape will soon feature some new draws.

He said there is plenty of expansion in hardware construction stores, pharmacies, sporting goods stores and general merchandise stores, and that should reflect on the new retailers that will be expanding to Moncton in the near future.

Pelletier said Enterprise Greater Moncton targets retailers that are showing signs of expansion, and right now the list of expanding companies is growing.

"We go to retailers that we believe are in expansion mode and hence try to convince them to come to the Maritime provinces," said Pelletier.

"The way we position ourselves is that we have the biggest catchment area, we have the biggest retail sales per capita in the Maritimes, and we have some of the lowest costs per square foot in the Maritimes."

For retail chains thinking about extending their reach to the Maritimes, Moncton is the place they want to be, said Pelletier.

"In most cases people want to be in the Moncton area. It's not the question of one versus the other, it's a question of if we're going to the Maritimes Moncton is a place we want to be, it could be the first of could be the second."

He said Moncton's retail advantage is integrated with its other strengths as a regional centre for the Maritimes.

"It goes with everything else, we're the entertainment hub, we're the distribution and the retail hub, so if someone is planning a weekend somewhere they know there are a couple of niche stores and unique stores in the Greater Moncton area, it makes it easier to convince them to come and spend a weekend here."

He said retailers are also increasingly choosing Moncton as their distribution hub as they expand to other reaches of the Maritimes.

"Not only are we chasing retail opportunities, in many cases companies are expanding in the Maritimes and they also need a distribution location and we're very attractive on that side," said Pelletier, noting Moncton's central location and available space for distribution.

"They open up 10 stores in the Maritimes then say 'we need a distribution centre' and Moncton is well positioned for that."

Pelletier said talk of a new downtown Metro Events Centre could be another catalyst for retail development in the city core.

This is the third year that Enterprise Greater Moncton has participated in the major retail industry event, and Pelletier said it is easier to close deals each time.

He said Moncton's name recognition has grown each year.

David_99
Oct 7, 2010, 2:50 PM
Anyone know what they are building a wooden hut/shelter thingy for on St. George near that used car/boat lot? Drove by yesterday and it was there...

JL

They're putting brick down as well along the ground. That's a popular walk-way for the neibourhood behind there. They're just makin' 'er pretty.

MonctonRad
Oct 7, 2010, 3:12 PM
Historic Mount A library likely to be torn down
Published Thursday October 7th, 2010

Sackville architect says building is an important treasure that should be saved
by Alan Cochrane
Times & Transcript staff

SACKVILLE - The historic Memorial Library building on the campus of Mount Allison University will likely be torn down to make way for a new arts centre.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=599004&size=600x0
VIKTOR PIVOVAROV/TIMES & TRANSCRIPT
The historic Memorial Library building on the campus of Mount Allison University will likely be torn down to make way for a new arts centre.

Mount Allison spokesman Tony Frost said yesterday the university has decided to go ahead with plans to build a new centre for both fine arts and performing arts, but those plans won't include restoring or renovating the library building, which was constructed in 1927 as a memorial to the 73 students and alumni who died in the First World War.

Frost said the building will not be kept in its current form because the cost would add about $5 million to the arts centre project for a total of about $35 million. He said the university does not want to put that extra burden onto future students.

Robert Eaton, a retired architect who has done extensive research on the old library building and championed the cause of saving it, said yesterday he is very disappointed with the decision. He said it might be possible to salvage some of the old building to incorporate into the new centre, but that hardly appeases those who wanted to see it saved.

Eaton said the Memorial Library building is important to Mount Allison because it is an architectural treasure and has been an important part of campus life for decades. It was built in 1927 as a tribute to students and alumni lost during the First World War. It was used as a library and meeting place for many years, until it was replaced by the Ralph Pickard Bell Library in the 1970s. But it had a second life as the university's student centre and pub.

The Memorial Library building was designed by Andrew Randall Cobb, a U.S.-born architect who was educated in Canada, the United States and France. Cobb designed many other buildings in Atlantic Canada, including the historic Central United Church in Downtown Moncton which is now being renovated into the Moncton Peace Centre.

Eaton said a master plan done in 2002 wanted to use all or part of the old library and make it part of the new arts centre.

"They hired Canada's best architect who said that the memorial library was an important building and it would make a great part of the arts centre. The idea was to build the arts centre and use all or part of the old library and make it really interesting as they used part of the old and mixed it with the new, which is what people do today."

Eaton says the design of the Memorial Building "imparts a bold unadorned form with square-pitched roof and strong clean gables. It is built of rugged local red sandstone setting a standard for future university structures. On the upper floor running from one end to the other is the elegant reading room with an arc-vaulted ceiling and large airy windows."

Frost said the plan is to create a new arts centre that will incorporate fine arts and performing arts together under one roof. In the early states of the planning, it was thought that the old Memorial Library building could be incorporated into the new centre. However, he said there are significant structural and electrical issues that would cost too much to overcome. He said planners want to create a building with good acoustics, special lighting and high ceilings for performing arts, and the old building just didn't work with the plan.

At the moment, the old library building is not being used and the plaques paying tribute to students and alumni lost in the wars have been moved to the new student centre on campus where they are more visible.

"We respect memories, but the university needs to consider the needs of future students and we don't want to saddle them with increased costs," Frost said.

But Eaton says there are many other alternatives to the plan that could result in the old library being saved, along with a lot of money. He suggested various additions and renovations to existing buildings that would likely save millions of dollars.

"But they have blinders on. They have their mind set on building this big new building and they're not willing to look at the other alternatives so in the process they are destroying something that I think is valued by alumni," he said.

Personal note: I look at this building and can't help thinking that this will be the fate for Moncton High as well..........:(

BlackYear
Oct 7, 2010, 10:02 PM
They're putting brick down as well along the ground. That's a popular walk-way for the neibourhood behind there. They're just makin' 'er pretty.

I believe this is part of Moncton's Active Transportation plan to connect the whole city with trail systems. Which in my opinion, they're doing a fantastic job doing so. :banana:

http://www.moncton.ca/Assets/Residents+English/RPTC/Active+Living/Active+Transportation+ENG/AT+Plan.pdf

http://www.moncton.ca/Residents/Recreation_Parks_and_Culture/Active_Living/Active_Transportation.htm

I've definitely taken advantage of these new trail systems. I bought myself a sweet mt-bike last month with my poker winnings :) and I'm really enjoying these trails. Actually, I'm really impressed with the work they have done so far. :tup:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/random/sp1.jpg

pierremoncton
Oct 8, 2010, 2:06 AM
I've definitely taken advantage of these new trail systems. I bought myself a sweet mt-bike last month with my poker winnings :) and I'm really enjoying these trails. Actually, I'm really impressed with the work they have done so far. :tup:

I posted these a while back, which show current plans:

http://www.moncton.ca/Assets/Residents+English/RPTC/Active+Living/Active+Transportation+ENG/Active+Transportation+map.pdf

http://www.moncton.ca/Assets/Residents+English/RPTC/Active+Living/Active+Transportation+ENG/Implementation+Plan+-+Active+Transportation.pdf

I have reservations on certain choices that are being made, but I agree that Moncton is doing a good job, and I'm glad that they're making efforts and actually following through with real progress (the new bike lanes on Vaughan Harvey being an example).

Biking season is unfortunately already over for me. Maybe a couple more outings.

benvui
Oct 8, 2010, 12:48 PM
An update on Paul St and Highway 15: they have started paving sections of Paul street so there is finally a light at the end of the dust cloud!
Also as of this morning both directions are fully open on highway 15.
It has been a long summer for me as I work on Paul St. and live in Shediac so I'm very much looking forward to not having to deal with construction everyday, although I feel it'll probably be worth the wait (the Paul st. work anyway, I doubt I'll ever use the Scoudouc exit other than to see what is there).

Sunnybrae
Oct 8, 2010, 2:34 PM
It looks as if the Continental flight out of Moncton is safe for the time being.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/air-canada-ua-strike-transborder-deal/article1747578/

Revenue will be shared between the US/Canada routes so no reason for AC to want Conti out.

MonctonRad
Oct 8, 2010, 3:32 PM
It looks as if the Continental flight out of Moncton is safe for the time being.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/air-canada-ua-strike-transborder-deal/article1747578/

Revenue will be shared between the US/Canada routes so no reason for AC to want Conti out.

Good news..........I remain hopeful that Continental/United would consider a second cross border route to Boston. With the revenue sharing agreement in place, presumably Air Canada wouldn't stand in their way.

I flew out of GMIA (to Toronto) a couple of weeks ago and noted with interest the new full body scanner in the passenger screening area. It needs more utilization! :)

mylesmalley
Oct 8, 2010, 4:50 PM
More money for security theatre?

MonctonRad
Oct 8, 2010, 6:09 PM
More money for security theatre?

Given the rather truncated nature of this missive, I presume that you must be texting from a mobile device! :haha:

MonctonRad
Oct 8, 2010, 7:21 PM
Moncton High closed over safety concerns
Last Updated: Friday, October 8, 2010 | 3:40 PM AT
CBC News

Moncton High School will be closed to staff and students for the rest of the school year. (CBC)

Students and staff at Moncton High School are being moved for the remainder of the school year so officials can assess health and safety concerns at the 75-year-old facility.

Karen Branscombe, the district superintendent, announced on Friday that the city's largest high school would be closed to students and staff.

"We have had more than 240 work orders from this school in the last year and a half and a list of concerns that continues to grow," Branscombe said in a statement.

"Moving staff and students out will allow us to do a thorough assessment and properly address concerns. It's simply more efficient for both those doing the remediation and for those trying to teach and learn."

The school's 1,300 students will remain in the school until the end of the month, when the contingency plans come into force.

The students will be moved to various schools throughout Moncton in two phases.

Grade 11 and 12 students will be sent to Edith Cavell school at the end of October.

To make room for the incoming Moncton High School students, 235 kindergarten to Grade 8 students will transfer to Queen Elizabeth School.

2nd phase of move to begin Nov. 15
The second phase of the contingency plan will roll out on Nov. 15.

At that point, Grade 9 and 10 students will move into the new Northrop Frye School.

The students from Magnetic Hill and Evergreen Park schools, who were supposed to move into Northrop Frye in 2011, will remain at their school.

The school district said the students at Magnetic Hill and Evergreen Park schools "will readjust to operate as two separate schools with some slight changes to class make-up."

The school closed for six days in September after some steel pillars were discovered to be rusting away and work is still being done to deal with mould on the ceilings.

Several teachers later submitted a letter claiming the 75-year-old building is causing them health problems.

The school district, WorkSafeNB, the Department of Education and the Department of Health investigated the teachers' concerns.

A group of 30 parents met on Thursday and expressed concern over what they believe was too much secrecy surrounding the future of the school, which first opened in 1935.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/10/08/nb-moncton-high-closed-247.html#ixzz11nSeV03D

mylesmalley
Oct 8, 2010, 10:49 PM
Given the rather truncated nature of this missive, I presume that you must be texting from a mobile device! :haha:

In a sense :haha:

By that, I meant that those machines are very expensive, but really don't do much other than offer the appearance of security (hence, security theatre), especially if they're only used on occasion. And they're only as good as the rest of an airport's security and procedures.

Mind you, airport security is well out of this forum's (and my) bailiwick. So that's all I have to say on that.

StormShadow
Oct 8, 2010, 11:54 PM
Moncton High closed over safety concerns
Last Updated: Friday, October 8, 2010 | 3:40 PM AT
CBC News

Moncton High School will be closed to staff and students for the rest of the school year. (CBC)

Students and staff at Moncton High School are being moved for the remainder of the school year so officials can assess health and safety concerns at the 75-year-old facility.

Karen Branscombe, the district superintendent, announced on Friday that the city's largest high school would be closed to students and staff.

"We have had more than 240 work orders from this school in the last year and a half and a list of concerns that continues to grow," Branscombe said in a statement.

"Moving staff and students out will allow us to do a thorough assessment and properly address concerns. It's simply more efficient for both those doing the remediation and for those trying to teach and learn."

The school's 1,300 students will remain in the school until the end of the month, when the contingency plans come into force.

The students will be moved to various schools throughout Moncton in two phases.

Grade 11 and 12 students will be sent to Edith Cavell school at the end of October.

To make room for the incoming Moncton High School students, 235 kindergarten to Grade 8 students will transfer to Queen Elizabeth School.

2nd phase of move to begin Nov. 15
The second phase of the contingency plan will roll out on Nov. 15.

At that point, Grade 9 and 10 students will move into the new Northrop Frye School.

The students from Magnetic Hill and Evergreen Park schools, who were supposed to move into Northrop Frye in 2011, will remain at their school.

The school district said the students at Magnetic Hill and Evergreen Park schools "will readjust to operate as two separate schools with some slight changes to class make-up."

The school closed for six days in September after some steel pillars were discovered to be rusting away and work is still being done to deal with mould on the ceilings.

Several teachers later submitted a letter claiming the 75-year-old building is causing them health problems.

The school district, WorkSafeNB, the Department of Education and the Department of Health investigated the teachers' concerns.

A group of 30 parents met on Thursday and expressed concern over what they believe was too much secrecy surrounding the future of the school, which first opened in 1935.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/10/08/nb-moncton-high-closed-247.html#ixzz11nSeV03D

MHS poses such a threat to the staff and students, yet they won't all be out until the middle of November? That doesn't pass the smell test.

The problems that have been noted have everything to do with poor maintenance, and not necessarily with the age of the building. Steel columns don't just rust through overnight. How frustrating this must be to the community. There are campuses all across the country older than this that have never been even close to this shape.

It sounds like for whatever reason, the powers that be are trying to scare everyone into demolishing it. Lame.

mylesmalley
Oct 9, 2010, 12:35 AM
I'm not saying the teachers/students are wrong, but problems tend to get overstated when everyone jumps on the bandwagon. My understanding is that a bunch of testing has been done and that the building is technically safe. I really can't see the District trying to perpetrate a conspiracy to undermine everyone's health.

They probably decided that the easiest course of action was to cut their losses and move everybody elsewhere until the myriad issues with MHS could be resolved. As for doing that right away... I shudder to think of the logistics of moving 1400 or so students from two schools, plus opening a new school early, all the new bus routes, etc.

As for lack of maintenance... yes, this is a real shame and probably largely avoidable. However school boards aren't in the business of school upkeep. Maintenance is usually the first thing to get deferred when other expenses eat up tight budgets. I recall reading somewhere that UNB Fredericton has something like 50-100 million in deferred maintenance alone! When you consider the shear number of buildings the district runs, it's really no surprise.

Not to mention, it's politically more popular to build new gyms or IT infrastructure than to spend on 'cosmetic' improvements like removing asbestos.

bam63
Oct 9, 2010, 4:20 PM
Was just passing through downtown and noticed a !!!TOWER CRANE!!going up at the Peacecenter.:cheers: :banana:

porchmouse
Oct 9, 2010, 4:53 PM
Hello,

Been meaning to join the fun for months and finally took some pics today so here we go...love this forum and am happy to finally add my 2 cents.

Northrop Frye School - opening sooner than anticipated due to the closure of MHS.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4103/5064752847_34d3a931f2.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4133/5064752843_91766b091a.jpg

New Roundabout at the corner of Horseman Road and Ryan Road.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5064752833_e78c8a3e2a.jpg

New Shell/Tim Hortons at the corner of Berry Mills Road and Horseman Road.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5064752825_1418792e5f.jpg

New RBC branch under construction at the corner of Mountain Road and Gorge Road.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/5065354952_59c43b3fd7.jpg

Cheers! Thanks!

NBNYer
Oct 9, 2010, 5:58 PM
Welcome and thanks for posting those pics! Well appreciated by out-of-towners.

to display an image, frame your link with

MonctonRad
Oct 9, 2010, 9:18 PM
Will you help save the YWCA building?
Published Friday October 8th, 2010

Historic Peters House up for sale in hope a buyer can preserve it

On the one hand, this is yet another dreadful piece of news for those worried about Moncton's threatened heritage buildings.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=599967&size=600x0
RON WARD/TIMES & TRANSCRIPT
The Moncton YWCA board of directors voted unanimously to place its current facility, at 35 Highfield St., up for sale.

On the other hand, this is the sort of opportunity that comes along only once in a century - or at least once every 90 years or so - for the right buyer.

The Moncton YWCA has made the heartbreaking decision to sell the beautiful downtown heritage property they've called home since 1920, saying they can no longer expend the resources keeping up the 105-year-old building.

The building is a beauty, boasts an excellent location and even has its own ample parking, but it needs some love and a bit of money to keep it up.

The YWCA has the love, but not the money.

And as executive director Jewell Mitchell said yesterday, "even if we could raise $200,000 to fix up the building, should that be the sort of fundraising we should be devoting our attention to?

"Though we love this building, we had to take a hard look at our mandate," she said, saying any money raised and any efforts made by the YWCA's three-person staff must be focussed on the programs and services it offers to Metro Moncton women and girls, not maintaining an aging building.

Mitchell said selling is absolutely not something they're jumping into.

The decision to sell has been in the works for about a year, and that follows years more of serious discussions about what to do with the building.

There's been no decision on where the YWCA would move to once the building sells, but Mitchell said the organization has been looking at some options.

While it will be difficult to see the YWCA leave after almost a decade, "we think it's in the best interest of both the building and the YWCA," to sell it to a lawyer or doctor or other professional looking for a convenient downtown office. It's not a massive building in need of millions of dollars in repairs like Moncton High School or Assumption Cathedral, but it does need work beyond the reach of a non-profit organization which must squeeze every penny.

Having said that, the YWCA just gave it a new roof a couple of years back and other work has been done over the years. Anyone who has ever been in the building will also tell you it has beautiful features you just can't find anymore.

It's been the YWCA's only home in Moncton and they are only the building's second owners.

The Peters House, as it is also known, is a designated Moncton heritage property because of its unique Queen Anne architecture, its association with Moncton businessman Alfred E. Peters and its association with the YWCA.

Designed by R.A. Frechet, New Brunswick's first registered architect, its impressive architectural features include a large "beehive" turret, intricate brickwork and red granite pillars.

It was built over two years from 1903 to 1905, and features numerous intricately cut brass doorknobs, plates and hinges throughout, the unique stamp of its original owner, wealthy manufacturing entrepreneur Alfred. E. Peters, whose turn-of-the-century business ventures included the Peters Combination Lock Company.

The flat red bricks of the exterior are the same as were used in construction of the old CNR train station which once stood a block away at the foot of Highfield Street. The entrance steps and window sills are red sandstone quarried in Sackville. The outer entry porch is set off by two substantial, round rose-coloured granite pillars.

Inside, rich woodwork of carved oak and ornamental cherrywood, much of it never having seen a coat of paint in all of its 105 years, generously frame the large windows, tall doorways and five ornate fireplaces.

Stained glass of intense cobalt blues and burgundy reds and acid-etched transom windows add to the building's charm.

"We are hoping someone who can be a good steward will buy the building," Mitchell said.

Personal note - This is a wonderful building that helps to define Highfield Street near Main Street. It must be saved because of it's architectural merit!!

While I am not a radical preservationist, there are certainly building of architectural or historic merit that must be saved for future generations to appreciate. Moncton High and the YWCA Building are two of them........

BlackYear
Oct 9, 2010, 10:53 PM
Welcome aboard Porchmouse. Are you the same @porchmouse on Twitter? If so, :notacrook: If not, :notacrook:

MonctonRad
Oct 10, 2010, 2:13 AM
Yes, welcome Porchmouse, always happy to see a new forumer, especially one with photography skills! (sooner or later I'm going to have to get one of those fancy digital photography machines myself). :D

Also, one other piece of news - the NB Liquor Commission is planning on building a new store over in the Dieppe Blvd. area, presumably somewhere nearby the existing Co-op supermarket and the planned Rona home improvement centre. It should be open sometime in 2011.

Glad to hear about the new tower crane downtown at the Peace Centre. :tup:

David_99
Oct 10, 2010, 3:10 AM
Welcome Porchmouse!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54689801@N04/5064752843/in/photostream/

Eek, imagine MHS being torn down and replaced by something like this? Moncton High would go from looking like a medieval prison to a modern prison! :slob:

mylesmalley
Oct 10, 2010, 3:18 AM
No kidding...

The province must hire the same architects for their jails and schools. The new addition to École St. Anne in Fredericton could easily become the new Fredericton Lockup by throwing up some concertina wire and a spotlight or two.

I really hope Moncton High gets repaired. But I'm getting the feeling that the annoucement that it isn't worth it will be coming sooner rather than later.

mylesmalley
Oct 10, 2010, 3:18 AM
Also, welcome Porchmouse!

MonctonRad
Oct 10, 2010, 2:30 PM
Eek, imagine MHS being torn down and replaced by something like this? Moncton High would go from looking like a medieval prison to a modern prison! :slob:

Great quote........:tup:

Maybe we should forward sentiments like this to District 2 head office and to the Department of Education.

porchmouse
Oct 10, 2010, 5:27 PM

JL

Here's a pic from yesterday referring to the above. Looks like an entrance to the trail they are extending.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/5067891149_a790960e31.jpg

JasonL-Moncton
Oct 11, 2010, 2:23 AM
That's some pretty fancy stone work (and not cheap) for the entrance to a "path"...why the 'hut'?

JL

MonctonRad
Oct 11, 2010, 3:06 AM
:previous:

I presume it's just a shelter. They have shelters like that every 500M or so on the main trail here in the northwest end of the city. Some of them have picnic tables in them. There are also park benches at even intervals on the trail system as well.

The city is investing lots of money in the urban trail system. :tup:

mylesmalley
Oct 11, 2010, 3:56 PM
It'd be a terrible shame to lose the YWCA building. It'd make a great law office or something. Unfortunately, while the building might not be expensive, the cost of bringing it up to code is probably prohibitive.

David_99
Oct 12, 2010, 3:29 PM
With the increase in NB Unemployment, Moncton 's still looking pretty good.

http://www.cbc.ca/nb/features/unemployment/images/unemployment_2010_aug-oct.png

http://www.cbc.ca/nb/features/unemployment/

MonctonRad
Oct 12, 2010, 8:42 PM

Yes, (relatively) good news for Moncton but bad news for NB in general.......

Premier Alward will be between a rock and a hard place in terms of determining government priorities in the upcoming year. The deficit is ballooning, unemployment is rising and federal stimulus funding is vanishing.

This does not bode well for major infrastructure projects in Moncton like the new proposed downtown arena/events centre. :(

pierremoncton
Oct 13, 2010, 1:13 AM
Along with the roundabout pictures, a video (starting at around 0:35): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Whv7jWAVQ

Dieppe, take note: this is how it works.

MonctonRad
Oct 14, 2010, 2:17 AM
Dieppe hears plan
Published Wednesday October 13th, 2010

(Former) Primrose Lane trailer park development plans discussed at last night's meeting
By Yvon Gauvin
Times & Transcript staff

The sad saga of tiny Primrose Lane trailer park, nestled adjacent to the Dieppe marsh and bordered by Amirault Street and Chartersville Road, is nearing the end as a proposed major residential development plan moves closer to fruition.

A public presentation outlining the proposed rezoning of the former trailer park lands to build three-storey multi-unit residential complexes and a future commercial enterprise was heard at last night's Dieppe city council monthly meeting in city hall. The proposal calls for rezoning the land into three parcels to allow a highway commercial business along Amirault Street, two 24-unit and one 12-unit residential buildings and a large chunk of land abutting the marsh area from residential to conservation to protect the nearby wetlands.

At last month's council meeting, the city moved to remove Primrose Lane from its list of city streets, allowing it to become a private access road to the proposed development.

No details were given as to the identity of the developer or the estimated cost of the project at the meeting.

The park was home to close to two dozen trailers when it was forced to close after a septic system leak in the spring of 2009 that contaminated several yards, ditches and wetland with raw sewage. The park owner eventually opted to close the park after cleanup work, forcing residents to move. It was a hardship for some, who noted they had neither the money to remove the trailer or the land to move it to. The park was closed by the end of last year and some of the trailers that remained on the land mysteriously caught fire or were demolished.

The province was satisfied that the land was cleaned up, and the land was eventually sold to developers.

The next step in the process is public objections to the proposed development plan. Anyone with objections or supporting the proposal is invited to write the city expressing their views within the next 30 days.

MonctonRad
Oct 14, 2010, 2:19 AM
Downtown Moncton's New Tower Crane

Peace Centre Work Continues

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=601465&size=600x0

A crane is set up downtown on Saturday at the construction site of a peace centre that will house a number of local community non-profit groups under one roof in a $13.5M four storey office building, incorporating an atrium and performance space connected to Central United Church.

ErickMontreal
Oct 15, 2010, 12:38 AM
I do not know if it has been mentioned here but Montréal-based Linen Chest will set up shop in Champlain Place in the new addition being built next to Sport Chek.

http://www.linenchest.com/ecommerce/control/setSessionLocale/main?locale=fr_CA&CURRENT_CATALOG_ID=Main%20Catalog

MonctonRad
Oct 15, 2010, 12:48 AM
I do not know if it has been mentioned here but Montréal-based Linen Chest will set up shop in Champlain Place in the new addition being built next to Sport Chek.

http://www.linenchest.com/ecommerce/control/setSessionLocale/main?locale=fr_CA&CURRENT_CATALOG_ID=Main%20Catalog

Thanks Erick, we knew the type of store moving into the addition to Champlain, but assumed it was going to be Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Linen Chest looks like a good store too. Champlain is acquiring quite a stable of Quebec based chains.........this is good. It helps to keep the mall a little unique in the Maritimes. :tup:

MonctonRad
Oct 15, 2010, 1:17 AM
On a related note, if Linen Chest is opening at Champlain, then this keeps open the possibility that Bed, Bath & Beyond could join The Brick and Best Buy as anchors of a resurrected Mapleton Power Centre.

Sony500
Oct 15, 2010, 3:47 PM
Do we know for sure that its just one store being built? Or is there going to be more than one store in the expansion?

MonctonRad
Oct 15, 2010, 3:55 PM
Do we know for sure that its just one store being built? Or is there going to be more than one store in the expansion?

I am about 99% certain that it is a single store expansion with a separate outside entrance.

Steelcowboy
Oct 15, 2010, 6:00 PM
Is that Mapleton Power Center a dead issue? I have never seen a construction project start and go bankrupt like that and with no one stepping in to purchase it...in a prime shopping area.

MonctonRad
Oct 15, 2010, 6:16 PM
Is that Mapleton Power Center a dead issue? I have never seen a construction project start and go bankrupt like that and with no one stepping in to purchase it...in a prime shopping area.

I don't think anyone on the forum knows the status of this development for sure.

In a nutshell, the developers had at least a dozen (probably more) tenants lined up but the project was delayed by all the roadwork on Mapleton Road and then the recession hit.............those were strikes one and two. Strike three was the difficult and very steep terrain that the development was being built on. This further delayed the project and increased construction costs.

The combination of escalating costs, construction delays, the recession and prospective tenants either drifting off to other locations in the city or delaying expansion plans into the city probably led to a financing crisis and the whole thing ground to an abrupt halt.

Retailers however are beginning to look at expansion again and notable retailers such as The Brick and Best Buy most definitely want to establish a presence in the city. If you throw in the fact that construction on Mapleton Road is finally finished and I think you may see some movement on this site in the 2011 construction season.

All this of course is dependent on whether or not the developers are able to secure financing.........

BlackYear
Oct 15, 2010, 7:52 PM
Mapleton Power Center issue.

What about that corner location and possible land issue? I'm not an expert in this area, but could the project have been placed on hold because of a possible problem with that extremely deep run off and not having enough support land next to the newly developed 4 lane Mapleton road?

Did they construct that 1/2 finished corner building too close and or too deep into that corner?

To me, it looks like a future landslide disaster in the making.

mylesmalley
Oct 15, 2010, 8:27 PM
That's a pretty substantial retaining wall up there.

MonctonRad
Oct 15, 2010, 8:58 PM
Dieppe holds grand opening for new facility
Published Friday October 15th, 2010

Large crowd comes out to celebrate the city's new arts and culture centre
By Yvon Gauvin
Times & Transcript staff

It was a proud moment last night when Dieppe's arts patrons and city's elite joined to applaud the grand opening of Dieppe's Arts and Culture Centre, an impressive building and architectural gem celebrating the arts and artists.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=604731&size=600x0
Dance students attend a class at the Academy of Classical Ballet and Modern Dances during the official opening of the Dieppe Arts and Culture Centre last night.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=604732&size=600x0
People participate in creating a collective art piece with artist Reg Noel during the official opening of the Dieppe Arts and Culture Centre last night.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=604733&size=600x0
GREG AGNEW/TIMES & TRANSCRIPT
Louis Doucet , chairman of the board of directors, explains the high-tech aspects of the music theatre.

It was a long time coming, said Dieppe Mayor Jean LeBlanc as he and Louis Doucet, president of the centre's board of directors, performed the traditional ribbon cutting before 150-plus patrons and well-wishers at the centre adjacent to Dieppe City Hall.

It's a great day for Dieppe, a day long awaited, echoed Doucet who paid tribute to the many people and organizations involved in making this dream a reality.

It took seven years to realize the project, although an art and culture centre had been on Dieppe's wish list for many years prior.

The centre is a focal point for art and culture in the city and a drawing card for local artists, a place to encourage artistic creativity and the arts locally, said Doucet.

"It's a new phase in Dieppe's cultural life," he said. "Hopefully, it will become a gathering place that will assure an expanded cultural and Francophone vitality in the community."

The centre boast a 224-seat concert hall with some of the best acoustics in the region and space dedicated for various disciplines such as music, dance, pottery, ceramics, painting and sculpture, a gallery for art exhibitions, a conference room, a multi-functional area and a photography area as well as an outdoor stage.

The centre also houses an academy for classical and modern dance, a school of music, a book salon, a radio station and a private fine arts photography studio.

Doucet thanked the city, Heritage Canada and Wellness, Culture and Sport New Brunswick for helping realize this dream.

Several elected officials including past mayors, current and past members of Dieppe council and MLAs as well as Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe MP Brian Murphy were among those attending the grant opening festivities. Also in attendance were former mayor Achille Maillet, former MLA Clarence Cormier, MLA Roger Melanson and Moncton Deputy-Mayor Paulette Thériault. Paul Landry, representing Heritage Canada and Rebecca Chassée on behalf of Trevor Holder, Minister of Wellness, Culture and Sport, also addressed the gathering. Landry reminded those in attendance that it was 30 years ago that Dieppe held its first art exhibition in the then town hall.

The director of the centre is Rachel Dugas, while the master of ceremonies for the evening was Isabelle Robichaud.

The city has come a long way over the past decades with much of the credit for the successes due to social dynamics of the people and the cultivation of pride in their community, said long-time Dieppe councillor Jean Gaudet. Many people and organizations worked hard to achieve this success, he added.

Today, the city has a modern new city hall, spacious library, arts and culture centre and the 1604 complex to boast about, as well as claim to being the second fastest-growing community in Canada, said the councillor.

The evening included unveiling of the exhibition by Marie Ulmer entitled "Mémoire de l'ombre."

Later exhibitions will include those of artists Georges Goguen in December, Claude Gauvin in February and Mathieu Léger in August.

Today at 8 p.m. is a taste of local foods, part of the Dieppe Harvest Festival this weekend. Tomorrow, it's Art Richard and his Family Show at 1:30 p.m. and Daniel Léger and Arizona at 8 p.m.

mylesmalley
Oct 18, 2010, 2:06 AM
Saw a presentation for the Peace Centre yesterday. Gotta say, I like everything about this project. It's a tremendous bit of infill on an otherwise useless lot, it'll really bring the downtown feel further up from Main, it's got good height for the area, and it makes perfect sense for so many not-for-profits to be under one roof.

The final plans I saw have four floors of office space with a half-sunk floor of parking underneath that's open to the air. The project director said the city si trying to find developers to put up a parking structure in behind.

theshark
Oct 18, 2010, 4:38 PM
did I hear both Infill and Moncton in the same sentence???? :banana:

Dmajackson
Oct 18, 2010, 5:02 PM
This is very preliminary right now however I think its worth mentioning.

The Halifax forum is planning to hold a forum meet during the holiday season sometime before Christmas Eve (on or around the 22nd-23rd). If it ends up happening all forumers (Halifax and other areas) will be welcome to attend. If you might be in the Halifax area around that time just speak up here or in the Halifax forum and I'll make ure your input is considered.

Oh and unfortunately there's already a few fistfights planned so we might not be able to have a "physically debate" with you guys over who should get the CFL team. :P

mylesmalley
Oct 18, 2010, 5:27 PM
I might see about making a trip down.

MonctonRad
Oct 18, 2010, 11:37 PM
Saw a presentation for the Peace Centre yesterday. Gotta say, I like everything about this project. It's a tremendous bit of infill on an otherwise useless lot, it'll really bring the downtown feel further up from Main, it's got good height for the area, and it makes perfect sense for so many not-for-profits to be under one roof.

The final plans I saw have four floors of office space with a half-sunk floor of parking underneath that's open to the air. The project director said the city si trying to find developers to put up a parking structure in behind.

I agree, this is the sort of infill project the city really needs in order to build some density north of Main Street. A building does not have to be overly tall to qualify as quality infill, 4-6 stories will do quite nicely thank you very much!

I am also glad to here that the city is exploring the possibility of a parking garage in behind the Peace Centre. There will be a performance space in the Peace Centre and with the Capitol and Empress Theatres next door and with all the restaurants on Robinson Court, this is the perfect location for a parking structure.:tup:

NBNYer
Oct 18, 2010, 11:54 PM
I am also glad to here that the city is exploring the possibility of a parking garage in behind the Peace Centre. There will be a performance space in the Peace Centre and with the Capitol and Empress Theatres next door and with all the restaurants on Robinson Court, this is the perfect location for a parking structure.:tup:

Seems like that parking structure is already included in one of the renderings. I thought it was included in this development.

MonctonRad
Oct 19, 2010, 12:01 AM
Seems like that parking structure is already included in one of the renderings. I thought it was included in this development.

Not included, no..........there will be parking underneath the Peace Centre. I think what Myles is talking about is different.

mylesmalley
Oct 19, 2010, 12:41 AM
Actually, an early rendering did have what looked like a little one in behind. I got the impression that the one being suggested will be a proper size. You've got a fair bit of land to work with there, and an ideal location.

mylesmalley
Oct 19, 2010, 12:44 AM
did I hear both Infill and Moncton in the same sentence???? :banana:

Crazy, I know!

That said, Moncton downtown has actually seen some pretty significant development in the in-fill department. There are three or four multi-story apartment buildings going up in old parking lots U/C as we speak. Every year we get another 5 or six. The area around St George and Queen is especially looking up.

theshark
Oct 19, 2010, 2:16 AM
:previous: That is good, it is exactly what Moncton needs, people living downtown!! The you will see that string of empty store front diseapear.

Especially that big one in front of the Marriot, next to Pastalli.

mylesmalley
Oct 19, 2010, 2:44 AM
Not sure what to make of that particular building. With the exception of the Pump House, they seem to have a tough time keeping tenants in there.

theshark
Oct 19, 2010, 3:05 AM
Well you definatelly want to make something appealing...A store that is of quality, not too expensive, and that has a variety but still has to be a speciallity store to drive people to go there.... maybe 2 stores, 8000 to 12000 sf seems a lot for a starters unless it is a franchise of some sort.

Think about it within a 100 meters you have 2 major office building, several restaurants and a never ending turnover of clients accross the street that most of them will inevitably see your store front. So unless your store makes a very bad impression, you are almost bound for a little sucess.

I was around last week and while walking into Pastalli, I saw 2 guy's that had real estate agent printed all over them hanging around the building. Maybe something is in the works already.

JasonL-Moncton
Oct 19, 2010, 12:19 PM
Not sure what to make of that particular building. With the exception of the Pump House, they seem to have a tough time keeping tenants in there.

The Main St. portion of that building is 'astronomically' expensive and the guy that owns it apparently won't lower it just to get a tenant...but it has sat empty for 2+ years so I don't know how that's smart either.

It's a wicked location...

JL

MonctonRad
Oct 19, 2010, 11:56 PM
UdeM's indecision on sewer line 'unacceptable'

Moncton councillor angry over university's lack of response on sewer line project
Last Updated: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 | 7:55 AM AT
CBC News

Seven years of delay is causing some Moncton city councillors to grow frustrated by a perceived lack of cooperation from the University of Moncton over the location of a major sewer line.

The city wants to put a sewer line through a northern part of the campus but the university's administration still hasn't made a decision on the so-called vision lands project.

A Moncton developer is looking to build a subdivision of solar and geothermal-heated homes with more than a third of the space being left as natural woods or paths.

'At a time where we desperately need their cooperation we're still not getting any satisfactory answers. I find that totally unacceptable and I'm getting very upset'
— Coun. Pierre BoudreauBut the project is stalled because the city can't get permission to put a major sewer line through some of the university property, which is next to the proposed subdivision.

Coun. Pierre Boudreau is one of the Moncton politicians who is expressing his frustration about the delay.

"I know the process of decision making in those large institutions take time but I think we're on the verge of the ridiculousness," Boudreau said.

Boudreau said the university needs to be a closer partner with the city.

He said the city donated $2 million to the university's last fundraising campaign and now the councillor said he wants the university to move a little faster.

"At a time where we desperately need their cooperation we're still not getting any satisfactory answers," Boudreau said.

"I find that totally unacceptable and I'm getting very upset."

Boudreau said the developer wants to start building in June.

He said if the university hasn't moved by then, its relationship with the city could be in trouble

Councillor Boudreau has obviously been given the job of being the "bad cop" with U de M over the Vision Lands issue. The city obviously wants U de M to become cooperative as soon as possible!:yes:

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/10/19/nb-university-moncton-sewer-637.html#ixzz12nyCYg71

MonctonRad
Oct 20, 2010, 1:01 AM
Dieppe sets record for September
Published Tuesday October 19th, 2010

The construction boom continues in Dieppe with the best September on record for building permit estimates. A total of 53 permits were issued by the city's building inspection department for $11,727,697 worth of construction. The next highest total was 71 permits worth $10,705,310 in September 2005.

"Excellent news," said Dieppe Mayor Jean LeBlanc after learning the final tally.

Most of the permits were for residential construction. The total number of units for the month is 140, more than three times the number (40) in September 2009 when the total value of permits was $5,632,937.40.

The total value of permits to date in 2010 is $62,075,932 compared to $56,518,431.20 over the same period last year.

A total of 522 permits, one more than in 2009, have been issued to date to create 537 units, compared to 392 last year.

The September figures include one modular home; 15 multiple dwellings totalling 128 units, and nine single-family houses.

There were 11 permits for commercial work totalling $559,037 and one for industrial work totalling $691,000.

A break-down to date in 2010 has 60 permits for commercial work worth $7,402,445; eight permits for demolition work worth $57,200; four permits for industrial work worth $4,670,000; one for institutional work worth $43,000, and 449 for residential housing worth $49,903,287.

benvui
Oct 20, 2010, 12:14 PM
Looks like the last piece of land where Beaver lumber once was is now set to be developed. This also eliminates one of the contenders for the downtown arena.
Its good to see this get developed. I wonder if it is going to use up some of Rogers parking lot and maybe include a parking structure. It will be interesting to see.

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/1270537

MonctonRad
Oct 20, 2010, 12:46 PM
Looks like the last piece of land where Beaver lumber once was is now set to be developed. This also eliminates one of the contenders for the downtown arena.
Its good to see this get developed. I wonder if it is going to use up some of Rogers parking lot and maybe include a parking structure. It will be interesting to see.

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/1270537

This is an intriguing development, especially since they are using terms like "mixed use" and "residential component". This is exactly what the downtown needs. I wonder how tall it will be?

Of course, with Verdiroc involved, I won't hold my breath until I see shovels hitting the ground! :haha:

David_99
Oct 20, 2010, 3:47 PM
Where exactly are they talking about? In this red area? or they would just re-configure the Rogers Parking area?

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/1023/beaverlumber.jpg

Take out the old Creek restaurant and that run down IOOB Pub behind Rogers and that'd be plenty of room for the Rogers parking. It'd free up a lot of space.

MonctonRad
Oct 20, 2010, 4:27 PM

I imagine so David. I can't imagine how this could be developed without encroaching on the Roger's parking lot.

This is the quote from the T&T article:

"While it was too early to talk about design details, given the need for council's approval, Champoux could say it would be configured in such a way that "it would not affect the parking allocation to Rogers.""

Note that Champoux said it would not affect the Roger's "parking allocation". This does not necessarily imply that the existing parking space would be preserved. Perhaps the city will find parking for the Rogers employees elsewhere in the downtown or perhaps a parking structure would be incorporated as part of the development. It will be interesting to see..........

This is a major positive development for the downtown. Combine this with the new provincial courthouse across the street and Assomption Blvd. will look decidedly different in a couple of years time.:tup:

David_99
Oct 20, 2010, 5:35 PM
Cool. I had just skimmed the article before reading it through. Didn't notice "allocation". Hopefully whatever they build will incorporate underground parking. I doubt they'll build Rogers a parking structure. They'll probably squeeze the Rogers parking around whatever they build until they run out of room.

They're also planning on developing the space next to the Court House where the jail's currently sitting. Assumption's going to look very different in a couple years!

MonctonRad
Oct 20, 2010, 5:47 PM
They're also planning on developing the space next to the Court House where the jail's currently sitting. Assumption's going to look very different in a couple years!

Do you know anything more specific about this? If this is going to be a significant structure then this will give a whole new face to the southern flank of downtown!

David_99
Oct 20, 2010, 5:58 PM
Do you know anything more specific about this? If this is going to be a significant structure then this will give a whole new face to the southern flank of downtown!

I just remember LeBlanc saying they "had plans" for that spot a few months back, in an article about the new Shediac Jail. I remember thinking "not another parking lot!". Hopefully another residential/commercial combo project.

mylesmalley
Oct 20, 2010, 10:21 PM
God forbid Rogers from ever giving up some of their precious sea of surface parking to some kind of actual development.

As for the argument that it's an acceptable compromise based on the number of jobs it has brought to downtown, that's silly. They could've built a building twice as tall and half as big and oriented adjacent to the street, with an equally large parking lot, and saved money by not buying as much land.

MonctonRad
Oct 20, 2010, 10:47 PM
Speaking of increased downtown densification.......

New apartment building slated
Published Wednesday October 20th, 2010

Council will hear public presentation in December
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

A public presentation will be scheduled for December to unveil details for a planned four-storey, 48-unit apartment building at the corner of Robinson Street and Mountain Road.

A developer wants to erect the building at 404-406 Robinson St. and requires a rezoning to do so. The current zoning only allows apartment buildings up to 24-units in ize.

This building would feature a brick and cladding exterior with 32 underground parking spots and 14 places to park above ground, which troubled some Moncton city councillors at Monday's meeting, who noted the number of parking spots leaves no parking for two tenants - perhaps more if some tenants have more than one car.

However, Bill Budd, director of the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission, noted the location of the building - bounded by major streets and on more than one transit route - means it is likely that not every resident will own a car. In fact, the location was chosen to cater to those who want to walk to work or to the downtown, or who prefer to use public transportation.

The lot would be fenced and treed and the building would feature balconies and all-in-all was "a great project for this area," according to Budd, who pointed out the 46 parking spots are in fact more than the number required by law.

Councillors were generally enthusiastic about the developers plans but had many questions which they opted to save for the public presentation two months from now.

MonctonRad
Oct 20, 2010, 10:55 PM
Lewis, Queen Streets to see improvements
Published Wednesday October 20th, 2010

Traffic improvements will affect entire downtown area, but not until 2012 at best
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

The City of Moncton has taken the final step needed to allow for the widening of Lewis Street, near Main Street.

As it exists now, the area is a narrow mishmash of busy streets which motorists use to get to and from Main Street, especially to head to and from east Main Street and Champlain Street in Dieppe. Over the years the city has acquired much of the land necessary to widen Lewis Street between Queen Street and Main Street, but one parcel has eluded it until this week when city council approved the purchase of the private parking lot at that intersection, a lot which lies on the south side of Queen Street, for $215,000.

"It's all about trying to manage that intersection a bit better," says the city's director of construction and design, Alcide Richard.

"Now, we'll be putting our thinking caps on."

No work is anticipated at the site until 2012, but so far plans call for realigning Queen and the Queen Street extension, which at present are just off-centre enough to make getting from one of those streets to the other, across Lewis Street, a tricky proposition during periods of high traffic volumes. It is anticipated Queen Street will veer slightly north and the extension slightly south so as to create a properly aligned intersection.

Lewis Street would be widened enough between Queen and Main streets to allow for a dedicated left-turning lane for traffic turning eastward on to Main Street. The effect of this move would also better align Lewis Street with Assomption Boulevard, in particular for traffic heading south on Lewis Street, directly across Main Street, and then on to Assomption Boulevard.

Both Queen and Lewis streets bear a lot of traffic at the best of times, but particularly so when Main Street is closed for special events when both streets end up with far more traffic than for which they were designed.

And Lewis Street is so narrow now that trucks and sometimes even cars are forced to drive perilously close to, and sometimes on, the sidewalk, when proceeding north on Lewis Street near Main Street.

If they are planning on widening and alligning Lewis Street so that it connects better with Assomption and Main, i guess that means that I'll lose my favourite parking lot downtown (the one on the corner right across from The Keg :(

mylesmalley
Oct 20, 2010, 10:55 PM
Excellent. Looks like next year might be better than this for new residential construction downtown!

It might not be 10 story towers, but the smattering of 4/5 story buildings springing up in the downtown area are starting to have a big impact on the city centre. You need only look at the huge improvements in the look and feel of St George to see what I mean.

theshark
Oct 20, 2010, 11:34 PM
Pinch me someone.... all this densification!!! and infill!!! Nice to see some hight on Mountain road... Hope it will be something like the 5 storey building they build a few years back.

Will have to go down more often to se all this stuff taking place

David_99
Oct 21, 2010, 11:30 AM
A public presentation will be scheduled for December to unveil details for a planned four-storey, 48-unit apartment building at the corner of Robinson Street and Mountain Road.

Thank god. This empty lot's been a bit of an eye sore.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/792/robmount1.jpg

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1492/robmount2.jpg

Nashe
Oct 21, 2010, 1:36 PM
Municipal parking lots behind Capitol Theatre will be sold if the right project comes along
BY BRENT MAZEROLLE, TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

The pieces are coming together for downtown Moncton, thanks to some city council creativity.

The City of Moncton will ask for expressions of interest in two downtown lots, one on McMonagle Lane and the other behind the Capitol Theatre. Pointing to aerial maps that show the stark differences between Moncton's barren city centre filled with parking lots and the lovely downtowns of Fredericton and Charlottetown, the City of Moncton's Ben Champoux, the director of community business development, went public with some new ideas for increasing density in downtown this week.

Champoux joined Mayor George LeBlanc, three city councillors and city manager Jacques Dubé at Downtown Moncton Centre-Ville Incorporated's annual fall business meeting Tuesday morning at the Moncton Press Club.

Among those ideas, the city is expected to put out a call later this fall for expressions of interest from private developers who might want to build on two city-owned parking lots - the ones behind the Capitol Theatre and Robinson Court.

The catch, besides needing to come up with plans acceptable to Moncton city council, is that the developers must include parking structures that match the number of spaces that would be lost.

Champoux said 42 per cent of downtown Moncton is surface parking, which is both an aesthetic and an economic problem.

Not only do vast asphalt plains drain a downtown of any appeal, they represent the lowest use of land. Not only do they contribute the least possible amount to the city's tax base, in the case of the city-owned lots, the municipality is the one on the hook for the property tax bill each year.

To illustrate the economic value of development, beyond the obvious but less quantifiable value a dense streetscape brings, Champoux offered an interesting illustration.

"If our downtown, from King Street to the Subway and from Queen Street to the riverfront, all had the same density as the Blue Cross block, it would generate $20 million a year in extra property taxes for the city."

Fortunately, the current council is showing some vision when it comes to their parking lots behind the Capitol Theatre and thinking outside the box and the parking stall both.

There's also an important safeguard in issuing a call for expressions of interest rather than a request for proposals. Issuing a request for proposal can be seen as legally binding the city to accept one of the proposals. Calling for expressions of interest does not commit the city to anything.

While that means developers have to assume the risk of paying for development plans that might not be accepted, that isn't expected to be an impediment to serious developers.

Nor is the fact there's no sweetheart free land deal being offered to private interests. In the plan afoot, the city would sell the land at fair market value to the developer with the right plan.

"Developers say to us it's not that they want free land. They want access to key strategic land," Champoux explained. With key core land up for grabs, there's confidence the right developers can make the numbers work to everybody's advantage.

I like that idea. City has the land. City wants dense developments. "What can you do with this space?" is a great start.

Sony500
Oct 21, 2010, 2:12 PM
God forbid Rogers from ever giving up some of their precious sea of surface parking to some kind of actual development.

As for the argument that it's an acceptable compromise based on the number of jobs it has brought to downtown, that's silly. They could've built a building twice as tall and half as big and oriented adjacent to the street, with an equally large parking lot, and saved money by not buying as much land.

The city owns the parking lot at Rogers. I am wondering if that building wasn't built at that angle for a reason. Maybe they will realign Westmorland St. so that it runs closer to the building, and down through part of the existing parking lot. Then build something where the old street meets Assomption Blvd. That building would end up on the same land as the new court house without a street dividing it. Its so hard to say what they have in mind.

David_99
Oct 21, 2010, 2:54 PM
The city owns the parking lot at Rogers. I am wondering if that building wasn't built at that angle for a reason. Maybe they will realign Westmorland St. so that it runs closer to the building, and down through part of the existing parking lot. Then build something where the old street meets Assomption Blvd. That building would end up on the same land as the new court house without a street dividing it. Its so hard to say what they have in mind.

From an arial perspective, the Rogers building is aligned at the back with Lutz, while Westmorland is oddly angled to begin with as semi-V shaped. It's abnormal to align the back of a building, but at least they aligned to something!

Did I just defend Rogers? :slob:

I need a shower...

MonctonRad
Oct 21, 2010, 8:21 PM
@ Vorkuta:

I like this idea too. There is far too much surface parking in downtown Moncton. The lack of density south of Main Street really detracts from the ambience of the city.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of the surface parking in the city resides in private (rather than municipal) hands. These lots are poorly maintained and are patrolled by jack-booted hooligans with immobilization devices just waiting for unsuspecting out-of-towners to park in the wrong place. :hell:

There must be some form of municipal taxation reform that could be used to create a disincentive so that maintaining these lands in a semi-derelict manner becomes an unattractive option for the owners. Perhaps this could be used to help stimulate new development or the creation of enclosed parking structures.............

Sony500
Oct 22, 2010, 2:44 AM
From an arial perspective, the Rogers building is aligned at the back with Lutz, while Westmorland is oddly angled to begin with as semi-V shaped. It's abnormal to align the back of a building, but at least they aligned to something!

Did I just defend Rogers? :slob:

I need a shower...

Yes, the back of the building is aligned with Robinson St. so just maybe that is what they are going to do?

mylesmalley
Oct 22, 2010, 5:29 AM
But then the courthouse wouldn't be aligned with Westmoreland and Assumption!

I really can't see the city realigning Westmoreland. What exactly would they accomplish? Even if they did, there wouldn't be enough on the east side of the new street to put anything sizable. Not to mention how silly the courthouse would look if it was designed specifically to look right on a corner, but wasn't.

Sony500
Oct 22, 2010, 2:35 PM
I agree with you Myles, but there has to be a reason (except for the obvious ones) why they built Rogers building on that angle.

David_99
Oct 22, 2010, 3:30 PM
I agree with you Myles, but there has to be a reason (except for the obvious ones) why they built Rogers building on that angle.

The only other option I can see would the image on the right:

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/9458/westmorland.jpg

pierremoncton
Oct 22, 2010, 3:59 PM
Looks like there'll be a 3-storey condo building going up on Botsford St directly across from the Théâtre l'Escaouette at some point based on this listing I found on MLS:

http://images.realtor.ca/listing/reb45/medres/1/2104801_1.jpg?PhotoId=634232956570000000

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=10052893&PidKey=-265914473

Small other things: The apartment building on Beech St has been topped up at 4 floors for a couple of weeks. The one on Gould St is up to three.

And another note: I saw a news piece on the French CBC a couple of weeks ago regarding the cathedral. According to engineers, the building can withstand its current condition for another 6 or 7 years. My understanding is that if it's not repaired by that time, it may then have to be demolished.

Will Moncton High, the YWCA and the cathedral all meet the same fate as the Filles de Jésus building?

MonctonRad
Oct 22, 2010, 4:03 PM

The best explanation is that Rogers wanted to build as cheaply as possible. The structure that they put up is a typical suburban "box" type office building that would fit in very well in the Emmerson Business Park but does not belong in a downtown setting.:yuck:

Because of this, we have ended up with a bland rectangular box on an irregular shaped downtown lot. I doubt that there was any consideration given towards designing an interesting building that matched the footprint of the lot.

MonctonRad
Oct 23, 2010, 2:41 AM
Who owns Moncton's new state-of-art stadium?
Published Friday October 22nd, 2010

Councillor surprised to learn university holds deed to city-leased facility, naming rights
BY JESSE ROBICHAUD
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

In the rush and excitement to get ready for this summer's IAAF World Junior Championships and last month's CFL Touchdown Atlantic, it seems few people asked who actually owns the brand new stadium that has made those events possible.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=610085&size=600x0
GREG AGNEW/TIMES & TRANSCRIPT
Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium is owned by l'Université de Moncton, which leases it to the City of Moncton.

If the question had been asked, the answer may have surprised more than one, especially considering the millions of taxpayer dollars that were poured into the temporarily named Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium.

Some eyebrows were raised yesterday when the Times & Transcript reported Université de Moncton official Linda Schofield's statement that the university owns the field, and by extension, its naming rights.

It was even news to some city council members.

"If you can find a councillor who voted for this and knew the university would own this (stadium) I would be surprised," said Coun. Brian Hicks yesterday.

"I was quite surprised to see that statement in the paper today, especially the naming rights."

Hicks said council has been kept in the dark about much of the negotiations between the city and the university from the start. Hicks said that lack of information, and what he felt was a too small contribution from the university, are the reasons why he voted against the project to build the stadium on the university campus.

"Really, what did they give us? If they give us land but own the facility they haven't given us anything," he said.

"I just think city staff really got outmanoeuvred on this one."

Back to the question of ownership: can it be that the university truly does own the stadium, despite the $7.5 million in federal dollars, the $6.5 million in provincial dollars, and the $5 million in city dollars that were contributed to build the stadium on the university-owned land - valued at $3.5 million - that makes up UdeM's contribution to the project?

In strictly legal terms, yes, says Mayor George LeBlanc, who nevertheless contends the answer is more complicated than that.

"When you take a look at where the legal title to it is, that would be correct, the legal title is in the name of the university because it's located there," said LeBlanc.

However, he said the city has a 25-year lease for the facility, with the option to renew, and is also an equal partner with the university in a joint management committee that will run the facility and determine who spends money and who collects it when events are held there.

"But more importantly, I consider it to be a partnership of you take a look at the lease back and the fact that we have this joint management committee," said LeBlanc.

"I don't think the university would disagree with that."

LeBlanc said he expects the stadium to continue being a joint venture that will be run by the management committee.

He said he expects that level of co-operation to continue when it comes time to give the stadium a permanent name.

Hicks said he had no idea that Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium was a temporary name.

"I thought that was the name. It will be interesting to find out what the university wants to call it, considering they don't have any dollars in the project," he said.

LeBlanc said for events such as the IAAF World Junior Championships and the CFL Touchdown Atlantic, it is the city that pays the expenses and collects the revenues from the stadium.

Generally, he said it is the university that collects rental fees for events, but in the case of these two large events, no rental fee was charged, said LeBlanc.

The issue of ownership of the stadium came to light as university official Linda Schofield was expressing her surprise and disappointment at comments made by Coun. Pierre Boudreau this week.

Boudreau said he was upset that the university was being unco-operative in the city's attempts to obtain permission to pass a sewer line through a parcel of land owned by the university.

The city says the sewer line is needed for the development of a part of its Vision Lands, situated near the university.

Schofield said the negotiations have been moving forward, despite the complex issues attached to the sewer line file, and said the relationship between the city and the university is healthy.

Yesterday, LeBlanc said he is working with university president Yvon Fontaine to move the file forward.

"We recognize that the UdeM is a very important presence in the city in many ways," he said, noting that the university is one of the biggest employers in the city.

"Mr. Fontaine and I had a discussion about all of this just the other day and we discussed and we both agree the city and university need to work together to move this forward."

LeBlanc said the Vision Lands project is very important to the city, and he said the city understands that the university must consider its own future plans for development in the same vicinity.

A spokeswoman for UdeM, Thérèse Thériault, said the university had no further comment to offer yesterday.

Judging from U de M's response to Councillor Boudreau's comments re: the trunk sewer line through the campus (ie: a full page ad in today's T&T), it seems like he has struck a nerve.

All is not happy and well in civic/university relations these days....

And now the unexpected revelation that it is the university that has sole ownership and naming rights to the new stadium!

One has to wonder what this might mean down the road in terms of how this stadium may be used. Would the university really be open to allowing a new CFL franchise to use the facility? How would the university feel about rock concerts being held at the stadium? How available will the stadium be for the general community to use?

I am quite discomforted by the fact that the university holds the naming rights for the stadium. Something tells me that whatever they decide to name the stadium, that it won't be reflective of the overall nature and composition of the greater Moncton community. They wouldn't be interested in that. Why should they be? It's not in their mandate. U de M's mandate is to promote the French fact in greater Moncton and in New Brunswick. They probably would consider it an act of betrayal to choose a name that might be considered easily interpreted in both official languages.

I can forsee a name like "Le Stade Pere Monsignor Bouchard" or something like that..........

The city was hoodwinked and taken to the cleaners on this deal! :(

riverviewer
Oct 23, 2010, 11:20 AM
So the city is leasing the stadium indefinitely. The lease gives usage rights. I expect the lease gives rights to use for a CFL franchise. But there are benefits to leasing.

In 25 to 50 years, when the stadium is old and decrepit and requires millions to replace rusting infrastructure (think MHS)

The city walks away.

mylesmalley
Oct 23, 2010, 12:57 PM
I think you're going a bit far saying the city was hoodwinked. As riverviewer mentions, the city doesn't have the liability to repair it if they don't own after their lease expires. There are certain tax advantages to doing that as well.

....That said, considering the huge benefit that UdeM is getting (new facilities, shared revenues, free publicity, and being prominently displayed every time the stadium gets mentioned), and the fact that they didn't contribute to the cost of the project, letting the city name the place is the least they can do.

MonctonRad
Oct 23, 2010, 1:08 PM
Yes, I must admit that I didn't consider the liability of ongoing maintenance costs in my little tirade and perhaps a long term lease is in the best interests of the city.

I presume that the city's leasing costs are only nominal (eg - a dollar per year). I hope we are not paying a market value lease since we effectively paid for the place!

Naming rights is a major issue. The whole community has to be able to buy into this facility. If it becomes too closely associated with U de M that could be detrimental to our ability to market the facility appropriately. Also, if we did get a CFL team and a major corporate sponsor purchased the naming rights to the stadium then the money would flow into the university's coffers and not to the city.

I would have problems with that...........

brod3211
Oct 23, 2010, 8:52 PM
I was thinking what would be nice is if the city would talk to rogers and see about them possibly adding a third story or at least going and changing the outside to a nicer, all glass finish. Also by any chance does anyone have pictures of the Canadian tire and the apartments going up in Findlay park Riverview area.

riverviewer
Oct 23, 2010, 9:48 PM
by any chance does anyone have pictures of the Canadian tire and the apartments going up in Findlay park Riverview area.

Well since they are practically in my back yard, I just went out and snapped a couple of pics.

Canadian Tire

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/kylosaurus/riv_ct.jpg

Whitepine Apts

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/kylosaurus/riv_app.jpg

brod3211
Oct 24, 2010, 1:58 AM
Thanks, not bad, not a fan of the look of the apartments would of rather brick ....

drewber
Oct 24, 2010, 3:19 PM
Anyone have any information on if the Smitty's in Moncton is permanently closed or if they are just doing renovations? The sign on the building shows renovations but I called their number today and it says disconnected:shrug: Used to love going there for breakfast anytime of the day. Anyone with info pls let me know so I can pass it along to my friends who loved going as well.

MonctonRad
Oct 24, 2010, 4:27 PM
Anyone have any information on if the Smitty's in Moncton is permanently closed or if they are just doing renovations? The sign on the building shows renovations but I called their number today and it says disconnected:shrug: Used to love going there for breakfast anytime of the day. Anyone with info pls let me know so I can pass it along to my friends who loved going as well.

I don't know the answer to your question but I noticed the "closed for renovations" sign as well.

I thought it rather odd that they would be closed for renovations when they have only been open for a little over one year. Also, if they are "renovating", then why has there been so little (in fact no) activity on site since I noticed the sign. Where are all the contractors?

It wouldn't be the first time that the old "renovations" excuse has been used as a euphemism for "gone out of business". I have my suspicions..........

Was the restaurant busy drewber? I intended to go there sometime but never did.......

Sony500
Oct 24, 2010, 5:16 PM
The only other option I can see would the image on the right:

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/9458/westmorland.jpg

Might be a little difficult to move the whold building .
If they do the street alignment, this is what i would suspect they are going to do, the new building in brown.
http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y355/sony500ho/westmorland.jpg?t=1287940411

Taeolas
Oct 24, 2010, 7:52 PM
Is the Smittys chain having trouble? The one in Woodstock closed down a few months ago.(From what my mom said, it wasn't very surprising that it happened) The Fredericton Location seems to be doing well, but I haven't been in there in awhile.

MonctonRad
Oct 24, 2010, 11:17 PM
Codiac Transit's new bus maintenance depot and garage on Millenium Boulevard must be at least functional if not absolutely complete.......they are busy tearing down the old bus depot in front. It looks like a very nice (albeit industrial/institutional) building. It's quite large.:)

Also, the reconstruction of the west end of Millenium Boulevard (from the rail crossing to the entrance to the CN Sportsplex) is now complete. The roadway is widened and curbed and both a sidewalk and walking/biking trail have been installed. :tup:

JasonL-Moncton
Oct 25, 2010, 12:20 PM
Also, the reconstruction of the west end of Millenium Boulevard (from the rail crossing to the entrance to the CN Sportsplex) is now complete. The roadway is widened and curbed and both a sidewalk and walking/biking trail have been installed. :tup:

But...I still don't understand why they didn't widen the intersection with Killam and Millenium in front of the coliseum...it makes no sense whatsoever. :shrug:

JL

MonctonRad
Oct 25, 2010, 1:31 PM
But...I still don't understand why they didn't widen the intersection with Killam and Millenium in front of the coliseum...it makes no sense whatsoever. :shrug:

I suppose they just didn't budget for it..........

To be fair, Millenium was falling apart and has been much busier than it was designed for since the CN Sportsplex/4-Ice Centre was built. This was a priority. They also wanted to improve this corridor as it is being integrated into the city's trail system.

Meanwhile, the Millenium/Killam intersection at the coliseum is already signalized and has a turning lane. An upgrade here would not have been so much of a priority.

Finally, if they were going to widen the road across the railway track, I suppose this might have entailed some negotiations with CNR. At the very least, the warning lights would have to have been moved slightly.

I do know where you're coming from Jason and I can foresee this intersection getting upgraded in the future. Traffic here will only increase, especially with improvements elsewhere (Horsman and Berry Mills) making this a more viable alternative to Mountain Road in commuting downtown.

In many ways, Horsman/Berry Mills/Millenium/Vaughan Harvey will be a better alternative for commuters from the northwest end than Mountain/Vaughan Harvey. The city should plan for this eventuality.:yes: