PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

NBNYer
Dec 1, 2010, 5:05 AM
Just to put the consulate wars to bed, here is the complete list for Atlantic Canada:

So, since Moncton has more consulates than Freddy and Saint John combined, this is still more proof that Moncton should in fact be the capital of New Brunswick. :tup:

So the consulate war was put to rest just in time for the revival of the Moncton Vs. SaintJohn/Frederiction war. :haha:

mylesmalley
Dec 1, 2010, 11:57 AM
So, since Moncton has more consulates than Freddy and Saint John combined, this is still more proof that Moncton should in fact be the capital of New Brunswick. :tup:

Another shot across the bow, eh?

MonctonRad
Dec 1, 2010, 12:11 PM
Another shot across the bow, eh?

I was only joking and I regretted making that offhanded comment as soon as I clicked on the "send" button,

It can be hard to convey humour in an internet post. You lose all those subtle nuances. :)

Finally, I'm willing to bet that this list of "consulates" includes all those honourary consuls I previously mentioned. When I saw the list, I recognized the name of the country that my wife's former boss was the honourary consul for. So, while some of these legations would be impressive offices in downtown buildings, complete with receptionists, national flags and perhaps armed guards (U.S. consulate in Halifax, French consulate in Moncton), the vast majority I'm sure are just basement offices in private homes with a fax machine.

mylesmalley
Dec 1, 2010, 12:49 PM
I was only joking and I regretted making that offhanded comment as soon as I clicked on the "send" button,

It can be hard to convey humour in an internet post. You lose all those subtle nuances. :)

We're just giving you a hard time :haha:

michael_d40
Dec 1, 2010, 1:18 PM
Just to put the consulate wars to bed, here is the complete list for Atlantic Canada:

Halifax (20) - Austria, Barbados, Belgium, Brazil, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Lebanon, Mexico. Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United States.

St. John's (10) - Denmark, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway.

Moncton (4) - Benin, France, Romania, Slovenia.

Fredericton (2) - Mali, Netherlands

Saint John (1) - Norway

Denmark
127 Prince William Street
P.O.Box 6639 Station A
Saint John, New Brunswick
E21 4S1

Finnish Consulate
61 King Street
Saint John, NB E2L 1G5

Iceland Consulate ,
3 Netherby Road
Saint John
New Brunswick
Canada
E2H 2Y4

So yes. MonctonRad. Give it a rest. That would be a tie. If your going to dig around for numbers. Get it right before the Moncton cheer leading begins.

MonctonRad
Dec 1, 2010, 2:07 PM
So yes. MonctonRad. Give it a rest. That would be a tie. If your going to dig around for numbers. Get it right before the Moncton cheer leading begins.

I've already issued my mea culpa michael and I should have known better. :)

It's interesting to see the distribution of consulates in the region. Saint John seems to specialize in Scandinavia. Moncton tends to favour nations associated with La Francophonie. I don't know why there is a Mali consulate in Freddy.:shrug:

Sunnybrae
Dec 1, 2010, 3:31 PM
Am I the only one surprised that the U.K. doesn't have a consulate in Atlantic Canada? :yes:

MonctonRad
Dec 1, 2010, 4:05 PM
Am I the only one surprised that the U.K. doesn't have a consulate in Atlantic Canada? :yes:

It's probably because the U.K., like the U.S.A. believes in "real" consulates rather than an informal network of "honourary" consuls lurking over their fax machines in their basement home offices. :haha:

It is somewhat surprising though................

We have to find something else to talk about. ;)

Taeolas
Dec 1, 2010, 4:07 PM

Actually it looks like there are 2 Atlantic locations (http://ukincanada.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/other-locations/), one in St John's, the other in Dartmouth. Though those are listed as Honorary Consulates.

JasonL-Moncton
Dec 1, 2010, 6:57 PM
Change of topic...Berry Mills/Horseman traffic lights lights get turned on tomorrow!

The parcel diagonally opposite the Shell/Tims is totally cleared and awaiting construction.

JL

BlackYear
Dec 2, 2010, 1:44 AM
Just a little history from my neighborhood, the France consulate was located in this building for many years, corner of Lutz & Victoria. It was always easily recognized by the French flag...back in the day!

The building on the left was the former Caisse Populaire, now located on St-George & Highfield.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/French.jpg

Credit to Google for the image.

brod3211
Dec 2, 2010, 4:34 AM
Hey, does anyone know if the city is going to do another Multicultural festival in 2011 summer ?

someone123
Dec 2, 2010, 6:22 AM
UK has honourary consulates in Halifax and St. John's.

acrew79
Dec 3, 2010, 1:37 PM
Was Driving down Mtn Road.. Noticed there is a FOR SALE sign in front of Bungays... Just wondering if anyone knows if they are closing or simply selling their building? :shrug:

It would be sad to see this Long Lasting business close..

Seems like Mountain Road is turning into "Main" Street.. Lots and lots of vacant spaces popping up..:gaah:

mylesmalley
Dec 3, 2010, 1:55 PM
That building has been for sale since at least this spring.

JasonL-Moncton
Dec 3, 2010, 4:50 PM
That building has been for sale since at least this spring.

Yup...he's been trying to sell that for a long time...I think the owner is retiring and wants to sell the 'business'.

JL

MonctonRad
Dec 3, 2010, 10:33 PM
Well, I decided to try out the new Scoudouc Industrial Park interchange on highway 15 today.

A very nicely designed interchange with an excellent access road to the industrial park. I think though that they should rename the park to the Scoudouc Industrial Wasteland. There are about a dozen old ramshackle industrial buildings in the park and I found the atmosphere of the place oddly reminiscent of Whitney Pier in industrial Cape Breton when I lived there briefly in the early 1980's.

I truly am not sure why the province chose to waste money on connecting this forlorn development to the divided highway. I suppose they are being proactive in the hopes that new industry will be drawn to the area but there is lots of free land still available in the Caledonia Industrial Park and both the Dieppe and Moncton Industrial Parks are undergoing major expansions. I'm not sure that this project was necessary.

The only way I think that this interchange is justifiable is if those rumours about the Wal Mart distribution centre are really true. I guess we'll find out next year.

Finally, The new interchange improves access for Scoudouc to the highway but why didn't they extend the new road westward to connect to the Shediac Road at Lakeville as well? That would have been really useful too and I betcha that the connector road wouldn't have to be any more than a km in length?

As usual, New Brunswick specializes in half measures...........

End of rant. :)

NBNYer
Dec 3, 2010, 11:13 PM
:previous:
I agree. I really question the wisdom of building that interchange given the fact that other sites I think could benefit more, like the airport. Even Insdustriel st. has been proposed. On the other hand, the fact they built it may give more validity to development rumors in the area....Maybe not Wal-Mart, as a spokesperson said that they had no plans, maybe something else big.:shrug:

I was wondering if they were gonna connect up to Shediac road...guess not, that's kinda disappointing.

MonctonRad
Dec 4, 2010, 3:23 PM
Well, I think that the mystery of what is being built at the southwest corner of the Berry Mills/Horsman intersection has been solved.........

There is a sign up on the lot now for Action Truck Caps and Accessories, a home grown Moncton success story with 29 retail locations in five provinces. They do a lot of their own manufacturing right here in Moncton. :tup:

There is a rendering of the new building on the sign, it looks quite large.

This will be the first new building in the Moncton Industrial Park West expansion.

I foresee that Berry Mills/Horsman is destined to become a major intersection.

macas539
Dec 5, 2010, 6:37 PM
Well, I think that the mystery of what is being built at the southwest corner of the Berry Mills/Horsman intersection has been solved.........

There is a sign up on the lot now for Action Truck Caps and Accessories, a home grown Moncton success story with 29 retail locations in five provinces. They do a lot of their own manufacturing right here in Moncton. :tup:

There is a rendering of the new building on the sign, it looks quite large.

This will be the first new building in the Moncton Industrial Park West expansion.

I foresee that Berry Mills/Horsman is destined to become a major intersection.

I can't believe how much this area is changing! I used to live in Steeves Mountain so I drove this road a lot. It's going from being almost a sort backwoods road to now being a major intersection.

I have been away from Moncton for a couple of years now and haven't seen what this area looks like in person, but I looked over the Moncton Industrial Park West plans and from what is being built in that area all I can say is it is definitely changing a lot! I never imagined that part of town would get so built up.

Does anyone have any current pictures of the intersection they could post? I would love to see what it looks like now with the new traffic lights and such!

Matt

MonctonRad
Dec 5, 2010, 11:15 PM
Sorry, no pics but Berry Mills is now five lanes at the intersection and there are two dedicated left turning lanes on Horsman leading to Berry Mills inbound. This is indeed a far cry from the rural intersection just last year.

Other news:

The structural steel for the new Saint Andrews Presbyterian Church on Hildegarde Drive is now mostly up. This will be a large and modern building and is being erected right next to the Hildegarde Fire Station. :tup:

macas539
Dec 6, 2010, 12:12 AM
Wow! Five lanes at the intersection, that is much larger than I imagined it would be. I can't wait until the next time I get the chance to visit home so I can see this for myself.

Thanks for the info.

mylesmalley
Dec 6, 2010, 1:42 AM
Unfortunately, they didn't widen Berry Mills beyond that intersection. At least not yet. Having two turn lanes off Horseman is great, but their value is moot when you still have to merge once you're on Berry Mills.

macas539
Dec 6, 2010, 4:08 AM
Unfortunately, they didn't widen Berry Mills beyond that intersection. At least not yet. Having two turn lanes off Horseman is great, but their value is moot when you still have to merge once you're on Berry Mills.

Well that seems kind of odd that they didn't widen it all the way up to Edinburgh. I know that intersection could desperately use a dedicated right turn lane. When I lived in Moncton I know it always got really backed up there with cars slowing down to turn right, especially in the mornings.

Do you think they just ran out of time to finish widening it or are they waiting to see if the traffic demand will warrant further widening?

MonctonRad
Dec 6, 2010, 4:40 AM
Well that seems kind of odd that they didn't widen it all the way up to Edinburgh. I know that intersection could desperately use a dedicated right turn lane. When I lived in Moncton I know it always got really backed up there with cars slowing down to turn right, especially in the mornings.

Do you think they just ran out of time to finish widening it or are they waiting to see if the traffic demand will warrant further widening?

The demand absolutely warranted widening Berry Mills to four lanes all the way from Horsman to Edinburgh, especially given the congestion during the morning rush.

It's just another example of poor planning and false economy on the part of the government.

A couple of other examples over the last number of years:
- the continual (and annoying) rejigging of the traffic patterns in the Mapleton/Trinity area over the last 10 years rather than just doing it right the first time. They finally have it right now but I bet you that by trying to do it cheap, it probably ended up costing three times more than it should have. :hell:
- The Scoudouc Industrial Park interchange. Why didn't they extend the connector westward to the Shediac Road? You know they eventually will, but by dragging their feet, it will increase the overall cost.

In general, if a job is worth doing, it's worth doing right!! :yes:

macas539
Dec 6, 2010, 5:38 AM
A couple of more things,

There is another example of poor planning in New Brunswick. I was reading an article (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/12/04/nb-alwards-caucus-divided-on-river-restoration.html) from CBC today in regards to David Alward's new PC government being split on the decision to restore the Petitcodiac River.

There is talk in the article from the Premier about not removing the causeway to build a new bridge. He mentioned that there will be budget cuts so this project may not get funded.

When I read this article it really saddened me to no end! I have heard from family that the river is making a strong comeback since the gates were opened. I have always been on the side for restoring the river, to hear they are even thinking of stopping after all this work to get to this stage just breaks my heart. I hope that they will definitely keep going and that the public who are for the restoration will have their say on the issue.

I think that it would be a poor decision to throw all of the progress away considering the former Liberal government already spent $20 million on the first phase of the restoration to get the gates open in the first place. The people in charge of all of the planning in NB really can't seem to make up their minds on these major issues.

Second topic,
A couple of other examples over the last number of years:
- the continual (and annoying) rejigging of the traffic patterns in the Mapleton/Trinity area over the last 10 years rather than just doing it right the first time. They finally have it right now but I bet you that by trying to do it cheap, it probably ended up costing three times more than it should have.

Just out of curiosity, what have they done to redo the traffic patterns in that area? I was never aware that there was even an issue with them in the past.

mylesmalley
Dec 6, 2010, 11:56 AM
Trinity Drive was realigned several times to add or remove lanes. Mapleton Road was widened in sections, so it was like driving an obstacle course for three years, and ramp access from Wheeler onto Mapleton has been reconfigured.

MonctonRad
Dec 6, 2010, 12:14 PM
Trinity Drive was realigned several times to add or remove lanes. Mapleton Road was widened in sections, so it was like driving an obstacle course for three years, and ramp access from Wheeler onto Mapleton has been reconfigured.

And before that, they redesigned the Trinity/Mountain Road intersection and realligned the on/off ramps at Wheeler/Mountain (both separate projects).

Each time they did something, they sought the cheapest solution and it (predictably) failed. There was lots of tearing up and rebuilding.

If it's worth doing, its worth doing right (the first time)!!! :hell:

macas539
Dec 6, 2010, 3:29 PM
And before that, they redesigned the Trinity/Mountain Road intersection and realligned the on/off ramps at Wheeler/Mountain (both separate projects).

Each time they did something, they sought the cheapest solution and it (predictably) failed. There was lots of tearing up and rebuilding.

If it's worth doing, its worth doing right (the first time)!!! :hell:

I remember that realignment now. You know I never did get the point of that one traffic light they added when you're northbound on Mountain just after the off ramp of Wheeler to Mountain. Hopefully you can picture where I'm talking about...

That light, in my opinion, never did do anything as every time I ever saw it (during rush hour or not) it always stayed green while the main intersection of Trinity/Mountain road would go to red.

I think that light was designed to keep Mountain Rd. traffic from blocking vehicles exiting Wheeler when the main intersection was red, but if it never changes I don't see how it can do that.

Perhaps it does change and I just never happened to be there at the right times? It just always made me wonder every time I was there, because cars would always be blocking that off ramp.

acrew79
Dec 6, 2010, 5:35 PM
I believe we have had numerous discussions about that offramp. :) Im in complete agreement with you. The Light is useless. ( although it doesnt turn red at rush hour)

IMO. Remove the offramp, get rid of that extra light.. and if People want to go towards Magnetic Hill or East they can do so at the Light At trinity..

No reason why the exit sign at mapleton cannot ssay.. MOUNTAIN ROAD via TRINITY .. THIS EXIT ONLY.

and the bonus.. the city would save money on Plowing and the traffic issues might smooth out ( a bit) .. and we get people forced to drive through trinity which creates the possibility of them stopping to shop. :)

on the flip side.. it will increase traffic on trinity.

mylesmalley
Dec 6, 2010, 7:07 PM
I lost the map I made :(

I honestly think you could clear up most of the congestion at that intersection by taking out the offramp to Mountain from westbound Wheeler and replacing it with a loop on the other side of Mountain that ends at the Trinity Dr/Mountain intersection. That way, people on Wheeler heading to Trinity Drive can get off directly at either Mapleton or Mountain, and never have to be on Mountain other than to cross an intersection. Unfortunately, that'd probably require widening the westbound Wheeler overpass to 3 lanes at Mountain. Since it takes, on average, about 60 years to get a bridge built here, I wouldn't hold my breath.

JasonL-Moncton
Dec 6, 2010, 8:12 PM
:previous: totally agree...that just is the 'logical' progression for an offramp there right into a traffic lit intersection on Mtn. Rd....but you know what they do with 'logic' in planning around here.

JL

porchmouse
Dec 6, 2010, 11:52 PM
My mother sent me some info on a new group that she found on Facebook called "Old Photos of New Brunswick Canada."

For anyone on Facebook, you can search the group and join for updates. For any non-Facebookers, you should be able to click the link below and view the photos, as the group appears to be public. Lots of great old Moncton photos. Thought I would post as this may be of interest to some of you. Cheers,

Porchmouse

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=32971326677

BlackYear
Dec 7, 2010, 1:34 AM
My mother sent me some info on a new group that she found on Facebook called "Old Photos of New Brunswick Canada."

For anyone on Facebook, you can search the group and join for updates. For any non-Facebookers, you should be able to click the link below and view the photos, as the group appears to be public. Lots of great old Moncton photos. Thought I would post as this may be of interest to some of you. Cheers,

Porchmouse

OMG...I'm blown away by these photos. What an amazing collection of photos. :worship:

macas539
Dec 7, 2010, 1:45 AM

Porchmouse

These pictures are an amazing look back into the history of Moncton! I have never seen so many old pictures of Moncton before. It was very interesting to see them! Thank you for sharing the link :)

mmmatt
Dec 7, 2010, 6:10 PM
Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet but there is some kind of large development going on now on Champlain st. near where I work @ fedex...it is directly beside the runway light towers on the south side of the street.

Most likely a warehouse of some kind.

Sony500
Dec 9, 2010, 3:07 AM
The light at the off ramp does turn red when the ramp is really really really backed up. I myself have seen it red. In my opinion, it doesn't turn red often enough.

MonctonRad
Dec 9, 2010, 9:01 PM
Requoted (and abbreviated) from the Fredericton thread.

Building slump part of natural cycle - city
Published Thursday December 9th, 2010
D1
By STEPHEN LLEWELLYN
llewellyn.stephen@dailygleaner.com

The construction of new homes was down across New Brunswick in November compared to the same month last year, according to CMHC.

During the month of November there were a total of 211 starts recorded in the province. There were 249 starts for the same period in 2009, a drop of 15.3 per cent.

There were 111 single starts in provincial urban centres with a population of 50,000 or more this year. Last year there were 138 units, a drop of 19.6 per cent.

Multiple starts in main provincial urban centres were also lower in November, with a 10 per cent decline to 100 units.

"The year-over-year decline in total starts for the month of November was mainly the result of fewer single-detached starts in both Fredericton and Saint John," said Claude Gautreau, CMHC's senior market analyst for New Brunswick, in a release.

On a year-to-date basis in New Brunswick, multiple starts are up 32 per cent to 1,550 units.

"Year-to-date multiple starts, particularly in the greater-Moncton area, continue to bolster total residential construction activity in New Brunswick," said Gautreau.

Moncton had 39 single family residential starts in November compared to 38 for the previous year, an increase of 2.6 per cent.

The hub city had 94 multiple starts versus 83 in 2009, an increase of 13.3 per cent.

Saint John had 25 single starts in November, compared to 40 last year, a drop of 37 per cent. The port city had two multiples versus 14 last year, a decrease of 85.7 per cent.

For the year to date ending in November, Moncton had 1,314 total residential starts compared to 884 in 2009, up 48.6 per cent.

Saint John had 626 starts compared to 625 last year, an increase of 0.2 per cent.

MonctonRad
Dec 9, 2010, 11:34 PM
Abridged from today's T&T

Moncton shows positive hiring forecast

Survey shows there will be job opportunities in the new year
By Craig Babstock
Times & Transcript Staff

Manpower Inc. released the results of its employment outlook survey for the first quarter of 2011. Employers were asked about their hiring plans from January through March.

The survey showed 26 per cent of employers plan to hire for the upcoming quarter, while 10 per cent anticipate cutbacks and 64 per cent plan to maintain current staffing levels. Once the 10 per cent is taken off the 26 per cent, Manpower calculates the net employment outlook as 16 per cent of local employers adding staff in the first quarter.

"It is a 12 percentage point increase from the outlook reported during the same time last year indicating a favourable hiring climate for the first quarter of 2011," says Mindy Stoltz, of Manpower's Moncton office.

The survey results for Moncton reveal a more positive hiring forecast than the surveys conducted in Fredericton and Saint John. Fredericton has a good net employment outlook with 13 per cent of employers saying they will hire in the first quarter, while in Saint John the net employment outlook was dim, with 13 per cent of employers saying they plan to cut staff.

When informed of the survey results, Greater Moncton Chamber of Commerce chairman Brian Jamieson said they sound similar to surveys done among the chamber's more than 800 members.

"Members were certainly anticipating that kind of demand," he says. Jamieson said one problem local businesses are having is that they require very specialized employees for many jobs and workers who can handle such jobs can't be found around here, so they end up hiring workers from outside the region. But the fact that there's a demand for workers shows Moncton is doing "a little better than average."

Jamieson says he speaks with his counterparts in other provinces and the outlook is not so good.

"In Ontario and western Canada they've had some hard quarters, while we're at an all-time high for membership," says the chairman.

Andreea Bourgeois, the director of provincial affairs for the N.B. chapter of the Canadian Federation of Independent Businesses, says she didn't expect to see such a positive result in the hiring survey.

"I think it's extremely optimistic and I'm a little bit surprised," she says. The federation has done hiring surveys and Bourgeois says the results are similar to the Manpower outlook, just not as positive. She says the hiring trend is heading in the right direction. It's better than last year, but not back to where it was a few years ago, before the global recession.

MonctonRad
Dec 9, 2010, 11:45 PM
Maple Leaf jobs moving to Moncton

About 40 new jobs expected to be created
by alan cochrane
Times & transcript staff

The closure of a Maple Leaf Foods plant in Nova Scotia early in the new year will mean the layoff of approximately 280 people in the small town of Berwick, N.S., and about 40 new jobs in Moncton.

Maple Leaf said yesterday that the 40 new jobs at the Moncton plant on Edinburgh Drive could be filled by employees laid off from the plant in Berwick.

But Berwick Mayor John Prall doubts whether the laid off employees would move to Moncton.

"It's quite a blow to our community," Prall said yesterday. "First they closed down the slaughterhouse, which was about 50 jobs, and now they're closing the processing plant which is about 370 jobs. It will have a big impact on this area because a lot of them live outside the town. It will also affect our town budget because the property tax from the plants represent about 15 to 18 per cent of our income."

Berwick is a small town of about 2,500 people, which is located in the Annapolis Valley and calls itself the Apple Capital of Nova Scotia.

Last month, Maple Leaf announced it will close the 200,000 square-foot facility, which employs approximately 280 people. The plant produces bacon, ham, sliced meats, sausage and deli products under the Larsen and private label brands. The company plans to wind down operations beginning in April and close the facility by the end of the month. Production will be consolidated at Maple Leaf's prepared meats facilities in New Brunswick and Ontario. Maple Leaf says it will continue to produce products under the Larsen brand and meet its ongoing customer requirements to supply the Atlantic Canada market.

Michael McCain, president and CEO of Maple Leaf Foods, said the company would work to find alternative uses for the plant that would provide jobs to the laid-off workers. Affected employees will receive severance packages that go beyond provincial labour requirements, as well as personal counselling and ongoing outplacement services and workshops. They will also be encouraged to seek employment across Maple Leaf's facilities.

Personal note - While the "theft" of 40 jobs from the small Annapolis Valley town of Berwick is nothing to be celebrated (they need the jobs more than us), I think one positive note to be taken from this is that this may be viewed as a positive sign for the future of the Maple Leaf processing plant here in Moncton. There have been some concerns expressed in the past that our own plant might be on the chopping block, but that is hard to imagine if they are curently in the process of expanding their operations here.

David_99
Dec 10, 2010, 1:15 AM
Maple Leaf jobs moving to Moncton

About 40 new jobs expected to be created

I guess it's a trade-off. Transcontinental Printing Moncton will be closing next week, laying off 40 employees. The plant is "merging" with Dartmouth. :(

MonctonRad
Dec 11, 2010, 2:38 AM

Airline sees bright future in Metro
Published Friday December 10th, 2010

Porter Airlines says N.B. has potential for expanded service
BY BRENT MAZEROLLE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

Six months after it first landed in Moncton, it appears Porter Airlines has been good for the Greater Moncton International Airport, and the Greater Moncton International Airport has been good for Porter.

The Moncton airport expects to record a 7.5 per cent growth in passengers this year, nearly reversing the airport's fortunes which saw passenger numbers drop 10 per cent in 2009.

A part of that has been the arrival of Porter, whose president told a national newspaper this week that based on the company's good experience with Atlantic Canada, New Brunswick is one of the spots shortlisted for future service growth.

However, Robert Deluce stopped well short of making any commitments and Porter spokesman Brad Cicero said yesterday, "we're considering a lot of locations."

Cicero did, however, echo the company CEO in saying Atlantic Canada generally has been a good expansion for the company, and that the Moncton service has performed well among the three cities served by Porter (Halifax and St. John's are the other two).

While New Brunswick could see more flights once the company takes possession of four more Bombardier Q-400 aircraft in the spring to add to their existing fleet of 20, the company is also looking at three Ontario cities, not to mention Philadelphia.

Rob Robichaud, general manager of the Greater Moncton International Airport, said talk of Porter expansion could mean one of two things - either more flights out of Moncton, or flights to one of New Brunswick's other airports.

Though he of course hopes his airport will land the increased business, "at the end of the day, if it's good for New Brunswick, it's good for all of us," he said.

Robichaud has reason to hope Porter's business decision, should it be to expand New Brunswick service, will be to build on its Moncton base. The current off-season schedule includes four weekly flights between Moncton and Toronto with stops in Ottawa.

From comfortable, well-appointed airport lounges to free in-flight wine, beer and premium snacks aboard modern turboprop aircraft that cruise at speeds comparable with jets, Porter has offered a service that has captured a niche in the airline market.

Personal note - It's too bad that the Porter president wasn't more specific about his expansion plans. This will raise expectations and will only breed resentment if he ultimately chooses one NB city over another. I would be happy if he expanded to Saint John or Freddy, just so long as he boosts service frequency here in Moncton. I'm sorry, a four times weekly service in the off season just doesn't cut it. I was in Toronto earlier in the fall and if Porter had had a daily service I would have tried them. Instead, I chose Air Canada because of their service frequency. It does make a difference.

MonctonRad
Dec 11, 2010, 2:38 PM
Crandall plans development
Published Saturday December 11th, 2010

VIKTOR PIVOVAROV/TIMES & TRANSCR
architects four limited

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=646235&size=600x0

Ed Barrett, campaign chairman, speaks at Crandall University yesterday during a ceremony to officially launch phase II of construction of an apartment complex on campus. Below, an artist's rendering of what the complex will look like.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=646236&size=600x0

So, with the completion of their new academic building, this will be phase two of their expansion project. Phase three will be the eventual construction of a campus athletic complex and rink.

ps - It should be noted that the existing university residence is pictured towards the left in the architectural rendition. The two residences therefore will be side by side.

MonctonRad
Dec 13, 2010, 3:38 PM

Malley Industries moves into new plant
Published Monday December 13th, 2010

Expansion triples the size of specialty vehicle manufacturer
by James Foster
Times & transcript staff

What began as a small family business in 1979 is now the first tenant in the expanded section of the Dieppe Industrial Park, with Malley Industries this morning starting their first full day in premises that are triple the size of their former plant.

Malley Industries has moved into a new 90,000-square-foot facility just past the airport in Dieppe, almost tripling the size of their former location. "You come to a point in your business when you can't grow because you're out of physical space," Terry Malley, president and CEO said earlier this year.

"As we are now at capacity, it is hard for us to take in new business and take it to the next level. So basically, you grow or you die, or you start going backwards. For us, it's time to grow."

And that's exactly what they've done, moving from their 30,000-square-foot plant in the established section of the Dieppe Industrial Park to a glistening new 90,000-square-foot facility at 1100 Aviation Blvd., just northeast of the Greater Moncton International Airport terminal building.

Malley Industries is a manufacturer and distributor of speciality vehicles including advanced life-support ambulances, custom commercial vehicles and components, rescue units, specialized police and emergency vehicles, mobile shelters, laboratories and command posts. They are one of Canada's largest vehicle adaptive mobility equipment dealers and installers, specializing in lowered-floor, raised-roof/raised-door conversions, high-tech driving aids and wheelchair lift installations.

Their vehicles and components are highly sought after across Canada, the United States, Mexico, the European Union and the Caribbean.

They produce close to 1,000 conversions per year and now their new facility will allow them to grow even more, including entering the plastics and moulding field and growing their increasingly important non-automotive business. As one of New Brunswick's major exporters, they'll specifically be targeting new markets both in Canada and beyond now that they finally have room to grow in a big way.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=647134&size=600x0

Hey Myles, I beat you to it! :haha: Congratulations on the big move. How many employees do you have BTW?

JasonL-Moncton
Dec 13, 2010, 6:20 PM
Sorry...but could Crandall build more "drab" and "uninspired" buildings than that?

Those a boring looking buildings for a University...they look more like low-income housing.

JL

mylesmalley
Dec 13, 2010, 7:17 PM

Malley Industries moves into new plant
Published Monday December 13th, 2010

Expansion triples the size of specialty vehicle manufacturer
by James Foster
Times & transcript staff

What began as a small family business in 1979 is now the first tenant in the expanded section of the Dieppe Industrial Park, with Malley Industries this morning starting their first full day in premises that are triple the size of their former plant.

Malley Industries has moved into a new 90,000-square-foot facility just past the airport in Dieppe, almost tripling the size of their former location. "You come to a point in your business when you can't grow because you're out of physical space," Terry Malley, president and CEO said earlier this year.

"As we are now at capacity, it is hard for us to take in new business and take it to the next level. So basically, you grow or you die, or you start going backwards. For us, it's time to grow."

And that's exactly what they've done, moving from their 30,000-square-foot plant in the established section of the Dieppe Industrial Park to a glistening new 90,000-square-foot facility at 1100 Aviation Blvd., just northeast of the Greater Moncton International Airport terminal building.

Malley Industries is a manufacturer and distributor of speciality vehicles including advanced life-support ambulances, custom commercial vehicles and components, rescue units, specialized police and emergency vehicles, mobile shelters, laboratories and command posts. They are one of Canada's largest vehicle adaptive mobility equipment dealers and installers, specializing in lowered-floor, raised-roof/raised-door conversions, high-tech driving aids and wheelchair lift installations.

Their vehicles and components are highly sought after across Canada, the United States, Mexico, the European Union and the Caribbean.

They produce close to 1,000 conversions per year and now their new facility will allow them to grow even more, including entering the plastics and moulding field and growing their increasingly important non-automotive business. As one of New Brunswick's major exporters, they'll specifically be targeting new markets both in Canada and beyond now that they finally have room to grow in a big way.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=647134&size=600x0

Hey Myles, I beat you to it! :haha: Congratulations on the big move. How many employees do you have BTW?

At the moment, around 65.

Once the dust settles a bit and we clean up, I'll post some photos for everyone. The building is still very much under construction, even though we're all moved in!

MonctonRad
Dec 13, 2010, 7:31 PM
Sorry...but could Crandall build more "drab" and "uninspired" buildings than that?

Those a boring looking buildings for a University...they look more like low-income housing.

JL

I don't disagree with you.......

The two academic buildings on campus are quite nice but the existing residence and the new residence that will soon be under construction are rather uninspired. At the very least, they should have a completely brick facade like the academic buildings.

Here's a good photo of the new academic building (with the original academic/administration building in the background)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs696.snc4/63604_10150343434935287_346965125286_16178303_440674_n.jpg

On second thought, I was just doing some more poking about on the Crandall Facebook page and have decided that the new residence isn't so bad. I initially was under the impression that there was going to be vinyl siding on the new building but it appears from these new renderings that it will be some form of panelling as well as brick. The new residence apparently will be built in two phases.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs712.snc4/63251_10150346346275287_346965125286_16216328_2488174_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1362.snc4/163450_10150346355805287_346965125286_16216384_7383577_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs692.snc4/63251_10150346346295287_346965125286_16216332_4228153_n.jpg

This is a campus map showing where the new building will be situated:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs712.snc4/63251_10150346346280287_346965125286_16216329_4153780_n.jpg

BTW, they have finally changed the highway signs on the TCH to "Crandall University" from Atlantic Baptist University.

stephan.richard
Dec 14, 2010, 10:43 AM
I hear a rumor somwhere thet Robert Irving Purchased the half empty Highfiled Square can someone confirm this and if it is true it means we are getting closer to a new Downtown Events Center..

MonctonRad
Dec 15, 2010, 1:47 AM
I hear a rumor somwhere thet Robert Irving Purchased the half empty Highfiled Square can someone confirm this and if it is true it means we are getting closer to a new Downtown Events Center..

We heard that rumour at least a year ago. I don't know if there is any substance to it..........probably not.

I am beginning to despair that we have missed our opportunity for the events centre. The federal stimulus money is gone and now the Alward government is slashing $300M from their capital projects budget. The cupboard is unfortunately quite bare.........:(

On a brighter note, there are strong hints that the Alward government will approve emergency funding to do the forklift upgrade to Moncton High School ( ie- keep the facade and the auditorium and rebuild the rest). :tup:

MonctonRad
Dec 15, 2010, 1:59 AM
Riverview business to hire 125 staff
Published Tuesday December 14th, 2010

Aditya Birla Minacs to increase contact centre staff to more than 600
Times & transcript staff

Aditya Birla Minacs, a global business solutions company, plans to hire about 125 people for its Riverview contact centre next month to meet the demands of a large contract.

"We are looking to add 125 new people by the end of January, and we hope that by offering a $500 signing bonus, we will be able to entice more people to join our growing team," company spokesman Blake P. Willardsen said in a news release.

"We plan to increase the employee base at our Riverview centre to more than 600 by early next year up from the current 400 employees. The excellent talent pool in the Greater Moncton area, the co-operation of our business development partners, and our client's constant support has consistently enabled Minacs to deliver a superior solution."

To support this rapid recruitment effort, the Riverview centre will host a job fair on Thursday, from 3 p.m. until 7 p.m. at 720 Coverdale Rd. in Riverview.

Aditya Birla Minacs will be offering all new hires a signing bonus of $500.

Company officials said more details about the jobs will be made public during the open house on Thursday.

Personal note:

Moncton - the Lahore of Atlantic Canada. :haha:

I guess we shouldn't sneeze at new jobs but I imagine that these may be short term contract positions, not like some of the more stable customer contact jobs available in the city at places like the Exxon, RBC, UPS or Fairmont call centres.

I think we can do better.......

JasonL-Moncton
Dec 15, 2010, 1:45 PM
I am beginning to despair that we have missed our opportunity for the events centre. The federal stimulus money is gone and now the Alward government is slashing $300M from their capital projects budget. The cupboard is unfortunately quite bare.........:(

On a brighter note, there are strong hints that the Alward government will approve emergency funding to do the forklift upgrade to Moncton High School ( ie- keep the facade and the auditorium and rebuild the rest). :tup:

I just hope they keep going on the 'river fix' as well...it would be sad to stop now with what's already been achieved.

JL

Steelcowboy
Dec 15, 2010, 7:28 PM
I agree with you JL, I hope they leave the rive the way it is, what would be the next step for the "river fix"?

Steelcowboy:)

NBNYer
Dec 15, 2010, 8:08 PM
I agree with you JL, I hope they leave the rive the way it is, what would be the next step for the "river fix"?

Steelcowboy:)

I think he meant he wants to see continued work and restoration for the river, not leave it as is now. Next step would be to remove part of the causeway to build a real bridge and allow for improved water flow, as it was prior to the construction of the "dam".

MonctonRad
Dec 16, 2010, 4:10 AM
School repairs promised for Moncton, Campbellton
Last Updated: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 | 6:19 PM AT
CBC News

Education Minister Jody Carr promised to set aside almost $20 million to rebuild or replace schools in Campbellton and Moncton in his budget estimates on Wednesday.

Moncton High School and Polyvalente Roland-Pépin had to be closed earlier this fall after health and safety concerns arose.

Carr told the legislature his department has $98.3 million to upgrade and build new schools, which he said was the largest capital budget ever for the department.

The education minister said $10 million has been set aside to start working on a new school to replace Moncton High.

Carr said after his speech that his preferred choice is rebuild Moncton High School with its existing tower and auditorium, a plan that was recommended by an external architectural consultant in November.

N.B. school upgrade projects in greater Moncton

- Moncton North: $1.9 million for planning a new K-8 (Ryan Street francophone) school

- École Sainte-Bernadette: $900,000 for design work for a new K-5 school (francophone)

- New Gunningsville (anglophone) school in Riverview: $1.8 million for design work for a new K-8 school

- New Moncton High School (anglophone): $10 million to start process to build a new school

Personal note - it's good to see that the new Gunningsville school and the new Moncton North francophone school have survived the bloodbath in the capital projects budget. I'm also glad to see that they have decided to do something definitive about the situation at Moncton High. I do hope that they rebuild on the present site, with as much of the original structure remaining as possible. I also hope that the new sections of the school will remain architecturally faithful to the present building.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/12/15/nb-carr-education-capital-budget-estimates-100.html#ixzz18CFzYQu9

JasonL-Moncton
Dec 16, 2010, 2:09 PM
I think he meant he wants to see continued work and restoration for the river, not leave it as is now. Next step would be to remove part of the causeway to build a real bridge and allow for improved water flow, as it was prior to the construction of the "dam".

That's exactly what I meant...not stop now...continue with the restoration begun by the Liberal's. Get rid of the causeway gates and a portion of the causeway and let the river truly restore itself.

Jason

kwajo
Dec 16, 2010, 2:18 PM
You guys are lucky that removal of the causeway and gates is even an option. If we got ripped out ours in Saint John, half of the city would flood twice a day :haha:

SC1986
Dec 16, 2010, 8:08 PM
seems like the building sumthing next to the new sobeys in riverview...maybe a liqour store :)

bam63
Dec 16, 2010, 9:45 PM
seems like the building sumthing next to the new sobeys in riverview...maybe a liqour store :)

Yes, construction has begun on the new liquor store. A strip mall is planned for summer 2011.:) :)

JasonL-Moncton
Dec 16, 2010, 10:46 PM
Someone on Twitter just posted that the conservatives have voted against restoring the Petitcodiac...

Trying to find more...I hope this isn't true...:slob:

Jason

Steelcowboy
Dec 17, 2010, 12:21 AM
Awesome, looking forward to a new look around the causeway. I drove by the Bell Aliant tower downtown and saw some scaffolding and plastic tarping around it anywone know what they're doing there?

Steelcowboy

mylesmalley
Dec 17, 2010, 1:07 AM
Awesome, looking forward to a new look around the causeway. I drove by the Bell Aliant tower downtown and saw some scaffolding and plastic tarping around it anywone know what they're doing there?

Steelcowboy

They're applying some kind of protective coating to extend it's lifespan.

MonctonRad
Dec 17, 2010, 2:38 AM
From time to time we have posted historical photos of Moncton in this thread. There is a treasure trove of old photos on the Facebook "Old Photos of New Brunswick" page. Here is a small sampling that I have taken the liberty to reproduce here.........

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1191.snc4/154381_10150327789280389_625950388_16134612_1379180_n.jpg
Corner of St. George & Highfield 1962

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1183.snc4/150550_467802009271_502774271_5713979_2350630_n.jpg
T. Eaton Co. warehouse c.1930

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1176.snc4/154823_467800224271_502774271_5713933_4355954_n.jpg
Moncton Tramways, Electricity & Gas Co. c.1913

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1337.snc4/162902_10150316459915389_625950388_15947568_3885269_n.jpg
Main Street c. 1918 (notice tram track)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1126.snc4/148824_10150316453210389_625950388_15947446_4971968_n.jpg
Traffic jam on Main Street (where Atlantic Lotto HQ is now) c.1950

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs487.ash2/76087_10150316450250389_625950388_15947400_854525_n.jpg
Looking north towards Main Street from the roof of the Eaton's Bldg. c.1960

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1202.snc4/155476_10150309700065389_625950388_15834636_6281248_n.jpg
Main at Lutz downtown (1950's). Looks pretty bustling before the era of Champlain Place.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs472.ash2/74567_10150304510325389_625950388_15759824_1677686_n.jpg
Downtown overlooking the Petitcodiac c.1954 (notice how wide the river is :( )

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs206.ash2/46942_10150243877755389_625950388_14628623_3100888_n.jpg
Humphrey's Mill (how Mill Road got it's name) 1934

mylesmalley
Dec 17, 2010, 3:35 AM
What is that red building that has since been replaced by the Crowne Plaza?

mylesmalley
Dec 17, 2010, 3:42 AM
Its funny, really. You look at those old photos of the city. Thanks to a few landmarks, you can generally figure out what you're looking at, but I think if you were somehow taken back in time, you'd have a terribly hard time recognizing Moncton from fifty years ago, let alone 1930. Obviously the river has played a major part in the change in appearance, but even the streetscape would be nearly unrecognizable. Vaughan Harvey and Highfield Square sit on what used to be tracks and a huge rail yard respectively. The Commons used to be another rail yard and massive maintenance facility. There used to be a second subway. The land between the main tracks and the river used to be a landfill. The land between Main and the river used to be almost completely built up... you could go on forever.

If you ever need a reason to justify taking pictures of buildings and landmarks, just think how valuable they'll be to people in half a century looking back at us!

mylesmalley
Dec 17, 2010, 11:45 AM
Well, there you have it, folks:

Tories defeat Petitcodiac River restoration vote

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/12/17/nb-alward-petitcodiac-river-532.html

The article says it's only symbolic and that the gates will be reopened in the spring, but you can rest assured that this is going to start the whole fight over again, and opponents are going to come out of the woodwork now that they know what kind of government they got elected.

Taeolas
Dec 17, 2010, 1:17 PM
Are the gates actually closed at the moment? From what a poster says on the CBC article, they say the gates are still open.

Getting rid of the causeway is a good idea, but if we can't really afford to get a new bridge built over it in the mean time, then leave the gates open (or take them out completely and sell for scrap), and build the bridge when we can afford it (or when the river has eroded the causeway away)

JasonL-Moncton
Dec 17, 2010, 1:50 PM
Well, there you have it, folks:

Tories defeat Petitcodiac River restoration vote

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/12/17/nb-alward-petitcodiac-river-532.html

The article says it's only symbolic and that the gates will be reopened in the spring, but you can rest assured that this is going to start the whole fight over again, and opponents are going to come out of the woodwork now that they know what kind of government they got elected.

Stupid Conservatives...their first major moronic blunder...this decision will bite them in the ass. Everyone has seen how the Petty has begun to repair itself, just by the gates opening, imagine what it would be capable of if the gates and part of the causeway weren't even there...I am so utterly disappointed by this.

Jason

pierremoncton
Dec 17, 2010, 3:52 PM
Stupid Conservatives...their first major moronic blunder...this decision will bite them in the ass. Everyone has seen how the Petty has begun to repair itself, just by the gates opening, imagine what it would be capable of if the gates and part of the causeway weren't even there...I am so utterly disappointed by this.

Jason

Consider writing to your MLA and copying the Premier's office and the Minister of Environment (Margaret-Ann Blaney). I am. It doesn't have to be long; they already have access to details. I'm just conveying my opinion briefly.

An email may not be worth as much as a letter or a call, but it's worth as much as an email from someone with a viewpoint opposing yours.

MLAs: http://www1.gnb.ca/legis/bios1/index-e.asp

BlackYear
Dec 17, 2010, 4:07 PM

Jason

I echo your thoughts. Looks like I'm going to write my first ever letter to my MLA - Sue Shultz.

BlackYear
Dec 17, 2010, 4:19 PM
Amazingly, I remember going to the following stores in the above photos.

- St George Foods Ltd
- Zellers on Main
- Woolworth on Main
- Eaton's warehouse

I'm 47 right now. I grew up downtown and I'm still living downtown.

I just hope I get to see the day when a new events centre and another 20 story building is built before the day I hit 80.

Lrdevlop
Dec 17, 2010, 9:55 PM
I don't know since when but I've noticed that Continental added a 2nd flight direct to NY! I'm suprised that it wasn't announced... Also, both flights are operated with 70 seats - Q400! :banana: :tup:

MonctonRad
Dec 17, 2010, 10:07 PM
I don't know since when but I've noticed that Continental added a 2nd flight direct to NY! I'm suprised that it wasn't announced... Also, both flights are operated with 70 seats - Q400! :banana: :tup:

They did the same thing last year, but it was only for the Christmas vacation period. It would be nice however if it were permanent. :tup:

Lrdevlop
Dec 18, 2010, 12:02 AM
It would be nice however if it were permanent. :tup:

I Agree!!! :haha: :tup:

MonctonRad
Dec 18, 2010, 3:24 PM
Abridged from today's T&T, a rare piece of investigative journalism by the local paper. link: http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/front/article/1357855

Moncton gives Crandall $750,000
Published Saturday December 18th, 2010

Decision to fund private university made behind closed doors
BY BRENT MAZEROLLE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

In the past few years, Moncton city council, led by Mayor George LeBlanc, has set a standard for exceedingly careful and public debate on how your tax dollars are spent that few municipalities in New Brunswick could match, never mind the provincial or federal governments.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=651359&size=800x0
VIKTOR PIVOVAROV/TIMES & TRANSCR
Crandall University will be getting $150,000 a year from the City of Moncton.

That's why you'll probably be surprised to learn that same council voted unanimously on Thursday to donate $750,000 to a private institution, and did so with no public debate.

In the midst of a week that saw councillors spend far more time - at least in public - debating whether they could afford $250,000 for a sidewalk plow, $8,000 to mow the sides of Wheeler Boulevard or $6,500 getting some more playground supervisors around the city next summer, they unanimously granted a request from Crandall University for funding of $150,000 per year over five years with no public discussion.

That doesn't sit well with prominent Moncton lawyer and social justice advocate Alison Ménard, for one, who questions why yet another level of government would choose to fund a private institution which she says does not respect either the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, or the New Brunswick Human Rights Act.

Both the federal and provincial governments have contributed millions of dollars to the university in recent years as well.

The university's statement of moral standards says "as a Christian community, Crandall University upholds Christian standards of behavior to which faculty and staff are required to conform. These standards derive not only from the Christian scriptures, but also from the culture of the supporting evangelical constituency."

Among the requirements of the university's code is that staff and students must be "sexually pure, refraining from such activities as adultery, fornication, homosexuality, and the use of pornographic materials."

Ménard says she supports Crandall University's religious freedom as a Christian institution to set such standards, but she says when an institution like Crandall receives public funds, "it's a fiction that it's not a public institution."

A public institution should respect both the federal Charter and the provincial human rights act, she says.

To put the Crandall funding in context, though it has not been well-publicized in recent years, the City of Moncton is currently in Year 8 of a 10-year agreement giving l'Université de Moncton $200,000 per year.

As well, the New Brunswick Community College has received city funding, though far less, $10,000 per year for the past five years.

As well, a written statement regarding the Crandall recommendation from the special private meeting includes the resolution, "that Moncton city council consider a long-term policy in the next year to address the intake, eligibility, return on investment, parameters, the awarding of consistency and management of any future long-term grants."

Another resolution, "that Moncton city council work together with Crandall University to encourage the provincial government to provide them regular funding for academic activities," suggests council doesn't want to make this sort of thing a habit.

To give council some benefit of the doubt on the matter of why this year's significant Crandall expenditure was approved without public debate, this council is actually renewing a five-year commitment of the previous council which expired this year. However, LeBlanc's council has sweetened the pot. The previous agreement saw the city give what was then called Atlantic Baptist University $100,000 per year over the course of five years.

Taking what council was probably thinking in approving the Crandall request, "probably" because no one has any idea what the thinking is when decisions are made behind closed doors, Ménard said, "I understand the rationale that the university's an economic generator in the community, but that doesn't make it right."

The university is indeed having an increasing impact in the community, both drawing students to the city and offering those local residents who speak English only a chance to earn a degree without having to leave the city, though it should be remembered that Mount Allison University is only a half-hour commute from Moncton.

The City of Moncton may gain another benefit. In granting the money, council resolved that it would "explore partnering with Crandall University regarding recreational activities and facilities that would serve the City of Moncton."

Lastly, for those wondering if the indirect benefits of supporting the two universities and the community college might be bolstered by the direct benefits of property taxes, the answer is that l'Université de Moncton and New Brunswick Community College pay reduced rates as public educational institutions. Crandall University, as a religious institution, is exempt from paying property tax.

Personal note: This is a difficult issue from a number of perspectives as there are many variables to consider in this equation.
- anglophone vs. francophone
- public vs. private
- secular vs. religious
- moral conservatism vs. liberal humanism
- equity for all vs. inclusiveness

I imagine that linguistic fairness loomed large in this decision, especially since the city was so generous to U de M. Crandall does play a certain role in increasing educational options for anglophones in the city. As the article points out, Mt. A is in easy commuting distance from the city but travel can be difficult in the winter and the distance to the university does constitute a form of economic hardship to commuting students. Also, Mt. A's mandate is more that of a small elite national institution rather than a typical urban university. Mt. A therefore does not entirely satisfy the higher educational needs of anglophones in Moncton. Crandall also has problems though. It's religious focal and moral conservatism are troubling. Course offerings are limited (although this may improve as the university grows) and the university's reputation has not yet been firmly established.

Menard has a point about whether public funds should be spent on a non-inclusive private university but I think you could argue that municipal funds should not be directed at funding capital projects at any university, public or private. This is a provincial (and to a lesser degree federal) responsibility.

What I think is going on here is that there is some acknowledgement on the part of all three levels of government that there is educational inequity in Moncton between anglophones and francophones and they feel a need to address this. The best way to do this would be by establishing a true Moncton campus of UNB, but given the expense of this, they have decided to compromise their principles and do the next best thing, which is to provide some level of funding to Crandall to act as a surrogate institution for the anglophone community in Moncton. Whether this is right or not is a debatable point........

MonctonRad
Dec 20, 2010, 3:29 PM
Moncton may join 2015 Women's World Cup bid
Last Updated: Monday, December 20, 2010 | 7:17 AM AT
CBC News

Moncton is discussing the possibility of joining Canada's 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup bid.

Moncton city councillors will decide Monday night whether it will attempt to become one of six host cities in Canada's bid to land FIFA's Women's World Cup in 2015.

Canada is making a pitch to host the international soccer event in 2015 and the bid committee is looking for six cities to host some of the games.

Shane Porter, the city's director of festivals and special events, is part of the team that tries to bring events to the southeastern New Brunswick city.

Porter said city council must decide whether it wants to be part of the competition to become a potential host city.

"There's significant dollars involved however the reach of a FIFA event and hosting a FIFA event when it comes to advertising, when it comes to putting our city on the map," Porter said.

"As far as global sporting is concerned it's a huge opportunity, but it is a lot of dollars."

It would cost Moncton $25,000 just to make a bid to host the games. And if the games were held in Moncton, it would cost another $250,000 and possibly another $2 million from the provincial government.

Porter said the city's politicians will have to decide if the high investment cost in trying to bring the event to Moncton is worth the possible long-term payoffs.

"This would be huge for us, huge for the country, for the province, for the city," Porter said.

Accepting bids

FIFA, soccer's international governing body, is accepting bid books from interested nations until mid-February for the 2015 Women's World Cup.

The country with the winning bid also earns the right to host the Under-20 Women's World Cup in 2014.

When Canada has held previous international sporting events, Atlantic Canada has been left on the sidelines.

When Canada hosted the U-19 Women's World Cup in 2002, matches were held in Burnaby, B.C., Victoria and Edmonton.

And when the men's U-20 World Cup in 2007, the host cities were Victoria, Burnaby, Edmonton, Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto.

When the Canadian Soccer Association announced it would make a bid for the 2015 Women's World Cup, it did not reveal which cities would be considered for the bid. Toronto and southern Ontario will host the Pan American Games in 2015.

Moncton events

Moncton has done its best to recruit major sporting and other cultural events in recent years.

The 2010 IAAF world junior track championships were hosted at the new University of Moncton stadium in July. (CBC)The southeastern New Brunswick city has invested in an outdoor concert venue so it could attract bands, such as the Rolling Stones and AC/DC.

The construction of a new stadium at the University of Moncton has also opened the door to landing high-profile sporting events.

Moncton hosted the 2010 IAAF world junior track championships, which brought thousands of young athletes and fans to the city.

And in September, the Toronto Argonauts and Edmonton Eskimos played a regular season CFL game in the city.

Moncton and the CFL are still in negotiations to bring back more regular season CFL matches.

Porter said Moncton could easily attract 20,000 fans and there could be up to nine games played in the city.

"With the new stadium on the [University of Moncton] campus that certainly helps our position in trying to go after some of these types of events," he said

Personal note - We'll be in tough against Halifax for this. Halifax is a sorely wounded animal right now after Moncton scoring with the IAAF World Junior Championships and the CFL Touchdown Atlantic football game. Hijacking the Uteck Bowl in 2011, 2013 and 2015 only added insult to injury. They are seriously looking at a new stadium down there now. A World Cup bid would put them in the running for some federal funding to help in the construction of this facility.

Moncton will have a tough fight on this one........

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/12/20/nb-moncton-fifa-world-cup-607.html#ixzz18fLMXPG5

JasonL-Moncton
Dec 20, 2010, 5:55 PM
Consider writing to your MLA and copying the Premier's office and the Minister of Environment (Margaret-Ann Blaney). I am. It doesn't have to be long; they already have access to details. I'm just conveying my opinion briefly.

An email may not be worth as much as a letter or a call, but it's worth as much as an email from someone with a viewpoint opposing yours.

MLAs: http://www1.gnb.ca/legis/bios1/index-e.asp

I think I may be writing my first letter to and MLA as well, and perhaps even the premier, because this just isn't right.

JL

David_99
Dec 21, 2010, 3:42 PM
Progress being made on metro events centre
BY BRENT MAZEROLLE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

The City of Moncton is making strides towards building a downtown metro events centre, city council heard last night.

Kevin Silliker, the city's director of business development, briefed council last night on all that has happened since a committee of citizens and councillors last spring determined the goal of a multi-use centre that would spur downtown development was something worth pursuing for the city.

The committee recommendation was contingent on a suitable business plan, suitable funding from the provincial and federal governments and a suitable major tenant agreement.

Since then, city staff met with the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency and were advised to start the federal funding request through the agency P3 Canada.

The application was made and has passed through the preliminary assessments, Silliker said.

Officials from P3 Canada were in the city in October and offered further advice on how the city should proceed with meeting the requirements for federal funding.

Grant Thornton was then hired to prepare the very specific business proposals required by the federal government.

"In January and February, we will finalize the inputs for the P3 business case," Silliker said.

"This project is on time for the federal government."

Ward 3 Councillor Brian Hicks likely spoke for everyone when he suggested the time for studying was long over and now is the time for action, but council heard that like it or not, the further study must be done to secure federal partnership.

Meanwhile, Silliker told council, "Downtown Moncton Centre-Ville Incorporated is going to contribute in a meaningful way" if the City of Moncton proceeds with the project, and a contract is currently being drafted to that effect.

As well, he and Mayor George LeBlanc both told council there has been private-sector interest in potential partnerships expressed from across the country.

Silliker said staff will be back to council in March with Grant Thornton's finalized business plan.

Then it goes to P3 Canada, who will review it in April.

The city expects to hear back from P3 Canada by the end of June.

It was last June that another requirement was met, a suitable contract and Memorandum of Understanding with the Moncton Wildcats, who will be the building's major tenant.

As for the provincial funding, the mayor and city manager Jacques Dubé have met with Premier David Alward and other members of his new government.

LeBlanc said last night he believed he had the province's support on the project, not to mention the support of the citizens of Moncton.

riverviewer
Dec 21, 2010, 8:59 PM
It may have been mentioned previously, but I don't recall it. So I'll ask....

What's going on the foundation that has been poured in front of the Future Inn on Mapleton?

mylesmalley
Dec 21, 2010, 9:10 PM
It may have been mentioned previously, but I don't recall it. So I'll ask....

What's going on the foundation that has been poured in front of the Future Inn on Mapleton?

3-story medical building. Pretty sharp looking design, too IMHO.

MonctonRad
Dec 21, 2010, 11:20 PM
Progress being made on metro events centre
BY BRENT MAZEROLLE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

The City of Moncton is making strides towards building a downtown metro events centre, city council heard last night.

Good news! :tup:

city staff met with the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency and were advised to start the federal funding request through the agency P3 Canada.

The application was made and has passed through the preliminary assessments, Silliker said.

Officials from P3 Canada were in the city in October and offered further advice on how the city should proceed with meeting the requirements for federal funding.

Grant Thornton was then hired to prepare the very specific business proposals required by the federal government.

"In January and February, we will finalize the inputs for the P3 business case," Silliker said.

"This project is on time for the federal government."

So, this is anticipated to be a public/private partnership (P3) then, I wonder who the interested private parties are......:cool:

Ward 3 Councillor Brian Hicks likely spoke for everyone when he suggested the time for studying was long over and now is the time for action, but council heard that like it or not, the further study must be done to secure federal partnership.

I agree with Hicks, this has been studied to death!! :hell:

Mayor George LeBlanc told council there has been private-sector interest in potential partnerships expressed from across the country.

Across the country eh.....hmmmmm, as long as Verdiroc is not involved! :yes:

Silliker said staff will be back to council in March with Grant Thornton's finalized business plan.

Then it goes to P3 Canada, who will review it in April.

The city expects to hear back from P3 Canada by the end of June.

sigh!! :slob:

As for the provincial funding, the mayor and city manager Jacques Dubé have met with Premier David Alward and other members of his new government.

LeBlanc said last night he believed he had the province's support on the project, not to mention the support of the citizens of Moncton.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

At this rate though, the project won't be finished until 2015 at the earliest!! :shrug:

David_99
Dec 21, 2010, 11:28 PM
At this rate though, the project won't be finished until 2015 at the earliest!! :shrug:

2015 could be a big year!

Utech Bowl
Arena downtown?
Women's Soccer Championships?
CFL Expansion Franchise?
Flying Deloreans!?!

JasonL-Moncton
Dec 22, 2010, 1:43 PM
2015 could be a big year!

Utech Bowl
Arena downtown?
Women's Soccer Championships?
CFL Expansion Franchise?
Flying Deloreans!?!

HA HA :tup:

MonctonRad
Dec 22, 2010, 5:02 PM
Council moves on MHS
Published Wednesday December 22nd, 2010

Also resolve to act on request to make Treitz Haus a designated heritage property
BY BRENT MAZEROLLE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

Moncton city council has unanimously thrown its support behind a consultant's plan to preserve at least parts of Moncton High School. The 75-year-old school was shut down last month amidst concerns about the condition of the building, necessitating the emergency relocation of about 1,300 students.

Since then, Education Minister Jody Carr has announced $10 million toward the replacement of the school. Meanwhile, a team of expert consultants hired by the School District 2 District Education Council has recommended preserving the Church Street facade of the building, as well as the tower front entrance of the building and the school's auditorium. At the request of the city's Heritage Preservation Review board, Mayor George LeBlanc will send a letter to Premier David Alward and Education Minister Jody Carr asking them to adopt the consultants' recommendation.

Chairwoman Bev Barrett recalled a previous provincial government failed to respect the city's wishes on the preservation of the now demolished Peters Lock factory that once stood next to the school. Indeed, she said, the province failed to even create the plaque and park commemorating the heritage site. It is now a parking lot.

"Every time I drive by, I admire the $400,000 'park,'" added Ward 2 Councillor Merrill Henderson.

Meanwhile, council also unanimously endorsed a request from the heritage board to add the city-owned Treitz Haus to the city's list of designated heritage properties, which surprisingly, wasn't already on the list.

The Treitz Haus, half of which is used as a tourist information centre at Bore Park on Moncton's riverfront, is believed to be the city's oldest building, dating to circa 1769

This is the best hope we have to preserve as much of the facade and the historic character of this building as possible, so I think we should all get on board with this proposal.

Also, I can't believe that council is just getting around now to designating the Treitz House as a heritiage property! I mean, how many buildings predating the Revolutionary War are there in the entire Maritime region! There can't be any more than a small handfull!

David_99
Dec 22, 2010, 8:19 PM
...School District 2 District Education Council has recommended preserving the Church Street facade of the building, as well as the tower front entrance of the building and the school's auditorium.

Why is the Gymnasium never mentioned as being kept? Is it not a "newer" addition to the 75yo old building?

MonctonRad
Dec 22, 2010, 8:40 PM
Why is the Gymnasium never mentioned as being kept? Is it not a "newer" addition to the 75yo old building?

I have often wondered the very same thing and I don't know the answer to this.......:sly:

JasonL-Moncton
Dec 23, 2010, 1:39 PM
:previous: I think they are only mentioning the "old" things they are trying to save as that is what most people care about.

JL

MonctonRad
Dec 24, 2010, 2:31 PM
New year big for events centre: Mayor
Published Friday December 24th, 2010

It's make or break time for Moncton's big project, says George LeBlanc
by brent mazerolle
Times & transcript staff

Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc says 2011 will be a big year for the pursuit of a multi-use downtown events centre in the city.

First of all, March is make or break time for the whole project. That's when Grant Thornton, who have been hired to do a formal business plan necessary to receive funding, will present their findings.

If Grant Thornton were to say there was not a sound business case, that is an obvious deal breaker for the project.

"It all boils down to an acceptable business plan," the mayor says.

Assuming, though, that a sound business case is made, then the city will take that plan to the other levels of government.

"We have to have the business plan by March 31. Frankly it'll be good for us, but the fact is neither the federal government or the province will give us any money without one."

The federal funding being sought right now is through the P3 Canada program, which has a maximum of $20 million.

Because that will not represent a third of the expected $80 million plus price tag, Ward 2 Councillor Nancy Hoar suggested at this week's meeting of council that meant the project was essentially dead.

The three-way funding, as well as a long-term agreement with an anchor tenant, in this case the Moncton Wildcats, and the business plan were all the criteria for moving forward set by the Downtown Centre Task Force of citizens, councillors and city staff last year.

The mayor says he will nevertheless be looking for the political will to fund the project in one-third shares among the three levels of government.

"If it's not available under the P3 program, then we will be making a special ask," he said. "Certainly, the federal government can decide if and how they wish to fund this, but to my mind, all options are still on the table."

If that one-third share should not materialize, he suggests there can be funding from other sources, especially private investments.

"Even if we're not, but close, and we can find other ways to cover the costs, then it's still workable," he said.

"It's way too early and premature for anyone to be giving up on this concept. It's a very significant, important project to the city and it deserves to be given a chance. I haven't given up on this at all."

First of all, "one of the most important pieces of the puzzle was securing the long-term deal with the Wildcats, which we have done," LeBlanc said.

"That deal forms the foundation of our business plan, which is why it was so important to have that long-term deal. By doing so, we met one of the three criteria and we also strengthened the business case."

Meanwhile, the mayor said senior city staff have been meeting with senior staff of both other levels of government and a team approach working relationship has been formed.

"We've also worked out deals with both Downtown Moncton and the hoteliers to support this."

The city and its hoteliers want to institute a tourism levy of the sort hotel guests pay in just about every other part of North America.

"The hoteliers have agreed they will support the project through this but we will need enabling legislation from the provincial government for that."

He says the province has been receptive to the idea and the city is even offering its help in drafting the legislation.

Personal note - I'm glad to hear that there may be as much as $20M available through the federal P3 program but the cost of this project is now between $85M and $100M. Even at the lower end, assuming a three way federal/provincial/municipal split for funding, this leaves a shortfall of about $15M. This means that a substantial private investor will need to step forward to get this project done......

I like the mayor's optimism and enthusiasm and I'm sure that there will be some private involvement in this venture (especially if there is a hotel/convention space/retail component), but I'm concerned that this project potentially faces some insurmountable hurdles.....

mylesmalley
Dec 26, 2010, 4:36 AM
Merry Christmas, gentlemen.

I think I'm going to put together some kind of retrospective of the last year. We're fast approaching 8,000 posts and it would be nice to mark the occasion.

MonctonRad
Dec 26, 2010, 1:50 PM
Merry Christmas, gentlemen.

I think I'm going to put together some kind of retrospective of the last year. We're fast approaching 8,000 posts and it would be nice to mark the occasion.

That would be good Myles, yes 8,000 posts is difficult to believe!

It's taken the forum four years to reach this point so I think it's fair to say that we'll reach 10,000 posts in 12-18 months time. :)

Typically in SSP, they retire a thread when it reaches about 10,000 posts. Perhaps we should give some thought as to what should replace this thread when the time comes.......

Perhaps we should look at a Moncton sub-forum like they have in Halifax, with a number of different threads devoted to different topics, ie-
- Moncton downtown
- Dieppe
- Riverview
- Suburban developments
- Greater exurbia (including Sackville and Shediac)
- Transportation and infrastructure
- Retail news
- Sports and entertainment.

What does everyone think?

Merry Christmas to all et Bonne Annee a tous.

JHikka
Dec 26, 2010, 4:19 PM

I think the singular Moncton thread is fine as it is.

MonctonRad
Dec 26, 2010, 6:49 PM
I think the singular Moncton thread is fine as it is.

I sympathize with you Greg, and I'm not personally convinced that the creation of a Moncton sub-forum is absolutely necessary either.

The only real reason why I think this might be a good idea is that it would prevent "retiring" the thread every 4-5 years. If you had a sub-forum containing 6-8 threads, then such a move might not be necessary ever.

The bad side of having a civic sub-forum with many threads is that it can become confusing (especially for a casual user) to navigate. I find the Halifax forum confusing but the more time I spend there, the better it gets.

In any event, I'm not proposing anything labyrithine. A simple sub-forum split mostly along geographic lines I think would be OK. I can see seperate threads for infrastructure, retail and cultural issues too.

mylesmalley
Dec 26, 2010, 6:59 PM
That would be good Myles, yes 8,000 posts is difficult to believe!

It's taken the forum four years to reach this point so I think it's fair to say that we'll reach 10,000 posts in 12-18 months time. :)

Typically in SSP, they retire a thread when it reaches about 10,000 posts. Perhaps we should give some thought as to what should replace this thread when the time comes.......

Perhaps we should look at a Moncton sub-forum like they have in Halifax, with a number of different threads devoted to different topics, ie-
- Moncton downtown
- Dieppe
- Riverview
- Suburban developments
- Greater exurbia (including Sackville and Shediac)
- Transportation and infrastructure
- Retail news
- Sports and entertainment.

Merry Christmas to all et Bonne Annee a tous.

This topic originally came up a couple years ago when Halifax switched over to the SPP local format - although with some forum members pushing for Saint John to get the same treatment at the time. I was strongly opposed to it then, and I still am for a number of reasons.

Numbers-wise, neither SJ or Moncton really have the post volume to justify it. Moncton has averaged around 3-4 new posts a day since the page was created. Saint John a little bit less. Those are hardly unmanageable numbers.
We don't really have enough 'quality' projects to justify a pile of sub threads. Talking about three story apartment buildings and strip malls is fine in a singular thread - in fact it's important - but it would look pretty ridiculous. Even if we somehow managed to limit ourselves such as by following your list, then we'd run into the issue of the majority of pages lying dead for ages waiting for an update.
Breaking off would kill any inter-city posting. There are a couple (rare) exceptions of Haligonian forumers who occasionally post in the Atlantic Canadian threads. But not many. There's not a lot of activity in the Halifax forums from members elsewhere in Atlantic Canada. I don't want to see discussion being stifled or dying out because of a lack of involvement.
I don't remember if it was Toronto or Victoria that went the SPP Local route and ended up giving up on it because they didn't like the results. I'd take that as a cautionary tale. If the big guys can't make it work, we'd have a much tougher time.

I think the best course of action is to stick with what we've got, retire the thread at 10,000, and start with the Official Moncton Projects Thread vol. 2 :tup:

JHikka
Dec 26, 2010, 9:29 PM
Numbers-wise, neither SJ or Moncton really have the post volume to justify it.

Basically this is all we need for justification in regards to keeping it the way it is.

I personally quite enjoy the current format, and it makes it a bit easier to travel between Moncton/Saint John/St. John's/PEI. If we need other threads for the Rural or CFL discussions, then they are provided for and they're easy to find. As Myles says, there's a lot of intercity discussion. Because I can get to Fredericton in 45 minutes, or Moncton in 80, it's not as if it's difficult for me to go there and offer up my own opinion on their projects, or vice-versa.

You know, some people propose a united Atlantic Province and say that we should all be together in one province, and I think that the forum should be the same. Why segregate ourselves? :cheers:

MonctonRad
Dec 27, 2010, 3:07 PM
Numbers-wise, neither SJ or Moncton really have the post volume to justify it. Moncton has averaged around 3-4 new posts a day since the page was created. Saint John a little bit less. Those are hardly unmanageable numbers.

True enough, but if you look at posts per capita, the Moncton thread is just as active as the Halifax sub-forum. Halifax is three times the size of Moncton and has three times the number of posts! Actually, if you subtracted all the chatter recently on the "Halifax Stadium" thread, The Moncton thread might be more active on a per capita basis. :haha:

I was just putting this idea out there to see what people thought. I'm comfortable with the current situation. As I said, the main thing that upset me was the idea of "retiring" the thread at 10,000 posts; but that's just me - I hate throwing things out. :haha:

I agree, having singular threads for each city does make it easier to see what's going on elsewhere in the region. :tup:

mylesmalley
Dec 27, 2010, 4:57 PM
I think there's the issue of accessibility too. We don't want to intimidate new forum members (or new-to-us ones either) by hitting them with a pile of sub threads.

Also, I fear a situation like Smevo's. He does a fantastic job keeping the Sydney page alive and updated...but he's the only one who ever posts. I'd hate to see a Moncton Radiology Thread populated only by you, The Official Light Manufacturing in Eastern Dieppe Thread used only by me, etc.

riverviewer
Dec 27, 2010, 5:25 PM
As a resident of "Metro", I'm not fond splitting everything up by region. I enjoy the one-stop-shop for updates.

Why not extend the life of the thread by keeping this strictly to development of buildings. Have a separate sub-thread for roads and bridges and then another sub-thread for new businesses, mall updates and favorite pizza joints.

Maybe a moderator can send some conversations to a separate annex meeting room thread when participants get off topic but everyone is into having a long debate...Like this one...? :shrug:

mylesmalley
Dec 27, 2010, 6:00 PM
As a resident of "Metro", I'm not fond splitting everything up by region. I enjoy the one-stop-shop for updates.

Why not extend the life of the thread by keeping this strictly to development of buildings. Have a separate sub-thread for roads and bridges and then another sub-thread for new businesses, mall updates and favorite pizza joints.

Maybe a moderator can send some conversations to a separate annex meeting room thread when participants get off topic but everyone is into having a long debate...Like this one...? :shrug:

I suppose...
but if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

BlackYear
Dec 27, 2010, 9:17 PM
I don't like opening multiple threads either.

Why not just archive this thread, and create a new thread called "Moncton 2011", then next year with "Moncton 2012", etc.:tup:

someone123
Dec 27, 2010, 9:22 PM
As I said, the main thing that upset me was the idea of "retiring" the thread at 10,000 posts; but that's just me - I hate throwing things out. :haha:

Officially threads are supposed to be archived (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95) at 10,000. Not sure why that's the cutoff.

porchmouse
Dec 28, 2010, 11:37 PM
I don't like opening multiple threads either.

Why not just archive this thread, and create a new thread called "Moncton 2011", then next year with "Moncton 2012", etc.:tup:

Agreed. The year stamp works well.