PDA

View Full Version : B.C. Highway Closure Raises Questions About Vancouver 2010 Games

SpongeG
Feb 7, 2007, 6:46 AM
It was closed sunday due to the landslide and closed again monday due to a bad accident

The highway between Vancouver and Whistler, where some of the venues for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games will be held was closed again briefly Monday raising questions about what will happen if the route gets blocked during the 2010 Games.

CP reports that the Sea to Sky Highway, that was closed most of the day Sunday following a rock slide, was closed because of an accident between an empty bus and a logging truck near Whistler.

Wayne Keiser, responsible for transportation and logistics of the Vancouver 2010 committee, said officials are looking at contingency plans which could include ensuring competition schedules are flexible and coming up with alternate ways to get spectators between venues in the two jurisdictions. He added the $600 million upgrade to the highway will go a long way to easing concerns about a repeat of the closures.

Keiser said, “we’re confident that the extensive widening, realignment and safety measures included in the…highway improvement project will greatly reduce the chances of disruptions at Games time”.

http://www.gamesbids.com/cgi-bin/news/viewnews.cgi?category=1&id=1170784316

mr.x
Feb 7, 2007, 7:07 AM
i don't think there's anything to worry about. from what i know, the landslide and car crash are located at places where improvements have either just started or have not yet been made. the landslide probably wouldn't happen once the retaining walls are in place, and the car crash wouldn't have occurred when the concrete road barriers are also in place.

Coldrsx
Feb 7, 2007, 7:15 AM
as if some roads to past winter olympics didnt have 1 or 2 lanes along mountains with risks of landslides etc.

mitigate risks and move on.

mr.x
Feb 7, 2007, 7:29 AM
as if some roads to past winter olympics didnt have 1 or 2 lanes along mountains with risks of landslides etc.

mitigate risks and move on.

yea, true. the media was complaining about how there was this one two-lane highway to a resort for the Torino Olympics, and how narrow the lanes were.....one side was mountain and the other side was cliff (i think). They had video of trucks screeching at sharp turns and only a few inches apart from other vehicles.

Dalreg
Feb 7, 2007, 10:39 AM
We will hear about this for the next three years. Everytime something occurs which may affect the Olympics it will make the news. Just wait until a killer whale shows up dead along the waterfront! Then the shit will hit the fan, as everyone knows anything that happens in Vancouver is the fault of the 2010 Games.

SpongeG
Feb 7, 2007, 11:07 AM
can we blame the lack of office space on the olympics too?

or that its taken umpteen years for H&M to reach the city?

Dalreg
Feb 8, 2007, 10:16 AM
We can try.

SpongeG
Feb 8, 2007, 10:27 PM
haha

i wonder if in the future they will ever go through with that planned route from coquitlam to whistler

East Van
Feb 9, 2007, 1:26 AM
that would be a nice drive.

SpongeG
Feb 9, 2007, 8:48 AM
i think the option was to builf the new route or upgrade the sea to sky and they chose to upgrade

cornholio
Feb 9, 2007, 9:00 AM
^The new route was going to cost over 3 billion dollars so they scraped it. Though it would of included a conection from Gaglardi to Barnet highway and a bridge over indian arm to anmore and belcara which would of been nice.

Also there are plans to pave the road going along Harison lake from Harison hot springs to Mt Currie/Pemberton. Last I heared it should be done within 5 years or so but i realy have no idea whats going on now. Personaly i like the road unpaved so all the hot springs and other cool places remain free of hordes of city folk.

renthefinn
Feb 9, 2007, 10:26 AM
More Routes leads to sprawl

SpongeG
Feb 9, 2007, 9:42 PM
ok already the rumour going around is that the olympics will be cancelled if there is one more sldie - :haha:

my friend was like - i heard that the olympic comittee said if there is one more slide they may consider moving the games

i was just like oh yah - rollseyes

mr.x
Feb 10, 2007, 12:44 AM
^ LOL. the only thing that may stop the Games from happening in Vancouver is a major earthquake.

SpongeG
Feb 10, 2007, 2:00 AM
i know

i don't know where he heard that one but thats what some people are going around saying now