PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Just a single Portland pan

MitchE
Feb 24, 2007, 5:59 PM
http://www.sinecosine.org/forums/PittockPan.jpg

ikcyzrteip
Feb 24, 2007, 6:22 PM
What's the name of the mountain in the background?

der Reisender
Feb 24, 2007, 6:28 PM
Mount Hood. Thats a great shot, where did you take it from MitchE? I'm counting two Union Stations in it though

MitchE
Feb 24, 2007, 6:33 PM
^ Pittock Mansion. Thanks der Reisender, I didn't see that error. I just fixed it.

wrendog
Feb 24, 2007, 7:22 PM
nice shot! too bad there is that tree in the way.. :)

Dougall5505
Feb 24, 2007, 7:27 PM
great pano it would be cool to see mount st helens in that shot also. or were the trees blocking that?

pwright1
Feb 24, 2007, 7:59 PM
What a great shot. Portland is such a great city. I love it. Anybody heading to Mt. Hood Jazz Festival this year?

excel
Feb 24, 2007, 8:07 PM
Wow great pano, Mount Hood is amazing in the background.

mthq
Feb 24, 2007, 8:44 PM
amazing pano.

mSeattle
Feb 24, 2007, 9:16 PM
That is one sweet pan!

MitchE
Feb 24, 2007, 10:56 PM
great pano it would be cool to see mount st helens in that shot also. or were the trees blocking that?

The trees were blocking it.

samne
Feb 24, 2007, 11:02 PM
Mt. Hood rocks and so does the pano!

Ex-Ithacan
Feb 24, 2007, 11:25 PM
Panorific. Is the big new development along the river to the very right of the pic?

MitchE
Feb 25, 2007, 12:30 AM
^ I assume you're referring to the South Waterfront. Yes that's it. You can just barely make out the tram tower too.

JuanCarlos
Feb 25, 2007, 5:16 AM
One of my fav American cities. Great pano! :tup:

Ex-Ithacan
Feb 25, 2007, 2:48 PM
^ I assume you're referring to the South Waterfront. Yes that's it. You can just barely make out the tram tower too.

That's the one, thanks Mitch.:)

PacificNW
Feb 25, 2007, 6:12 PM
For those not familiar with Mt. Hood...I understand it is the most climbed mountain in the U.S. and ranks 2nd in the world. Mt. Fuji ranks first.

Drew-Ski
Feb 25, 2007, 7:41 PM
One of the reasons I can't wait to move back!!!!!!!:banana:

Black Box
Feb 25, 2007, 9:03 PM
Hello Portland! Gorgeous!

mello
Feb 25, 2007, 9:15 PM
Interesting to compare this to that huge Miami pano. Miami is impressive due to the huge amount of residential towers, this one blows you away because of the natural setting. It would be great if the two cities could begin to acquire properties of the other. I understand that the "inner areas" of Portland have had a lot of residential developement but most of it hasn't been in the form of towers i'm assuming.

How many residential units have been built in "downtown Portland" since say 2000? From this shot it looks like there is a good amount of density in say 5 to 7 floor buildings that look to be residential down in the core of Portland.

Miami almost seems to be not very well *planned* plus so many of their towers are built on speculative terms to inverstors. In Portland am I correct if I assume most of the people buying the new units built are planning to live in them?

fangorangutang
Feb 25, 2007, 9:23 PM
Excellent pano! Portland looks beautiful. One minor issue, there's that mountain that I-84 or 205 go around right befor the airport, it looks like the very right part of it is floating in midair ;) Right above the Lloyd district in this pic.

sirsimon
Feb 25, 2007, 10:17 PM
Awesome - looks great.

ltsmotorsport
Feb 25, 2007, 10:39 PM
Great vantage point. Now go chop that tree down!

;)

Derek
Feb 25, 2007, 11:28 PM
sweet pano!

der Reisender
Feb 26, 2007, 12:35 AM
mello, for downtown portland (inc. the pearl), there have been probably 5-6,000 units built or currently u/c since 2000. most of our inner city infill is 3-4 story kind of stuff. everything i hear is that we have a good rate of people who buy new condos actually living in them, and the foot traffic beneath them confirms that anecdotally. i wouldn't mind a few bigger towers like miami is putting up though

mello
Feb 26, 2007, 1:01 AM
So 6000 units for downtown. What about within a 3 mile radius? Would that number jump up a lot or has most of the stuff been right *in* downtown? I know that San Diego County usually pumps out about 11 thousand residential units a year. What is growth in the Portland Metro like. Do they match that amount.

MitchE
Feb 26, 2007, 2:18 AM
mello, for downtown portland (inc. the pearl), there have been probably 5-6,000 units built or currently u/c since 2000.

Are you sure that's right? According to Metro (http://www.metro-region.org/library_docs/maps_data/pop&hhestct.xls), census tracts 47-58 (Downtown-NW-pearl-SoWa) 1,466 units were built between 2000-2004. It doesn't seem like there has been a 3x increase in units since then...but perhaps.

Mello, There were about 4,000 units built between 2000 and 2004 in a 'rough' 3 mile radius around downtown.

San Diego County is pretty large and encompasses most of the metro San Deigo area... so an equivalent area for Portland would be the tri-county area of Multnomah, Clackamas and Washington counties. There were 89,978 units built between 2000 and 2004. So that's about 22,500 a year.

mello
Feb 26, 2007, 3:44 AM
Damn!!!! 22,000 per year. That is a lot g. Well I wasn't counting all of the units that are built in South West Riverside county that is part of the SD metro area. That area probably has been pumping out 6,000 units a year. Wow PDX is growing hella fast. I love Portland but why do they refuse to build some nice 40 floor thin condo towers like SD and Vancouver. Lets step it up Portland. The skyline is looking a tad bit dated. It is still nice but needs some fresh material.

I was wondering the other day how many housing units LA and Orange county combined were pumping out in the crazy growth days from 1955 to 1985! Wow could you imagine those numbers? It must have been in the 150K to 200K range

der Reisender
Feb 26, 2007, 3:48 AM
MitchE, i got my numbers by counting units on the maps for the River District (http://pdc.us/pubs/inv_detail.asp?id=180&ty=14) and South Park Blocks (http://pdc.us/pdf/ura/south_park_blocks/project_map.pdf) URAs on the PDC website, plus the future load from projects like the Strand, Metropolitan and Benson, which aren't on those maps yet.

However, if these numbers are off by that much it'd be good to know.

fangorangutang
Feb 26, 2007, 7:45 AM
You can google Central City Plan, I think that has the overall goals for increase in units and population in downtown and surrounding areas, including the Lloyd and Central Eastside (I think, I could be wrong).

westsider
Feb 27, 2007, 7:59 AM
Don't be shocked if next time you are up there that tree is gone. ;)

oliveurban
Feb 27, 2007, 8:07 AM
Very nice.

MitchE
Feb 28, 2007, 12:41 AM
Don't be shocked if next time you are up there that tree is gone. ;)

Don't forget your chainsaw. The tree is bigger than it seems.;)

dharper6
Feb 28, 2007, 3:10 AM
What a great town. I love it. I'd move there in a minute if the weather was always as nice as it is in late summer.

MarkDaMan
Feb 28, 2007, 4:23 PM
I love Portland but why do they refuse to build some nice 40 floor thin condo towers like SD and Vancouver. Lets step it up Portland.

actually right between Big Pink and the Wells Fargo (the two tall towers on each end of the CBD) will rise the 410' Park Avenue West Tower. The design is amazing. There is also another RFP issued for a tower one block from Park Ave which could test Portland's height limits, that has intense bidding by almost all major Portland developers. There are also several 325' towers proposed.

DubbaG
Feb 28, 2007, 6:23 PM
Ryan!!! How the hell ya been dude? You're welcome in SF any time buddy. I miss Portland soooo much, but I love it here too. You still stayin in SE?

That pano is sick, I love the view from Pittock. Looks like one of those ridiculously clear, cold days.

Wheelingman04
Mar 1, 2007, 4:05 AM
That is one of the most scenic city in the country.

westsider
Mar 1, 2007, 8:35 AM
Growing up and living here my whole life I never thought of portland as anything extraordinary, but when I go visit other areas of the country I'm struck by how ugly things can seem. To me, portland is one of just a handful of citys that are truley pretty.