PDA

View Full Version : SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161

Derek
Jul 1, 2008, 5:33 AM
I thought it was the city that placed a limit over all of downtown? Or is that just a myth?

bmfarley
Jul 1, 2008, 7:34 AM
No, it's not the FAA that sets the limit. However, the FAA tells the city the envelope they have to work with and conveys the implications if that envelope is encroached upon; smaller planes, lighter loads, ... things that the airport must do differently.

It behooves the city to not encroach upon FAA enverlope around Lindbergh... b/c it means restrictions on aircraft.

But, the city imposed 500ft mean elevation above seal level appears could be punched through in southeast downtown... imo. But, what building types would be feasible in SE downtown? It's kinda ghetto over there with Father Joes and whatnot.

Derek
Jul 1, 2008, 6:26 PM
Gentrification?

:D

bmfarley
Jul 1, 2008, 7:16 PM
Gentrification?

:D
Yeah, but a developer will be motivated to make money... a profit. I am not a developer, but I sense the market in SE Downtown San Diego is too challenged for a company to make a multi million dollar investment in a 500+ft tower there.

malsponger
Jul 1, 2008, 10:41 PM
Yeah, but a developer will be motivated to make money... a profit. I am not a developer, but I sense the market in SE Downtown San Diego is too challenged for a company to make a multi million dollar investment in a 500+ft tower there.

Agreed. 12th and Imperial is not a pretty place. I think Ballpark Village could greatly help this area though.

Mariobrotha
Jul 2, 2008, 2:42 AM
Hey guys,

After a few months of lurking, I finally registered for the message boards. I just recently began a new sales position at a real estate office downtown, and am looking forward to contributing any downtown development news-- as well as learning anything I can from the very knowledgeable bunch I now have the pleasure of corresponding with on this board.

bmfarley
Jul 2, 2008, 2:48 AM
Hey guys,

After a few months of lurking, I finally registered for the message boards. I just recently began a new sales position at a real estate office downtown, and looking forward to contributing any downtown development news, as well as learning anything I can from the very knowledgeable bunch I now have the pleasure of corresponding with on this board.
Congratulations... and good luck. For both.

IconRPCV
Jul 2, 2008, 7:49 PM
Looking at the original plans for the Diegan Hotel, one notices a really cool solar panel making a sloop on the top that makes the building really distinctive. It looks like that design feature is not going to get built. Yet another developer cheapening out and giving us a boring product.

BrandonJXN
Jul 3, 2008, 4:13 AM
Is the Allegro the slim tower with the crown?

Derek
Jul 3, 2008, 4:22 AM
Are you talking about this one?

http://www.92101urbanliving.com/img/gallery/177__thumb.jpg

That is Cortez Blu.

This is Allegro Tower.

http://images.apartments.com/propimages/102797/005/BL010164.JPG

PadreHomer
Jul 3, 2008, 4:28 AM
Whats going in at the site of the former Burger King?

Derek
Jul 3, 2008, 4:30 AM
This I think.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development%203/10th_and_B.jpg

BrandonJXN
Jul 3, 2008, 4:31 AM
Are you talking about this one?

http://www.92101urbanliving.com/img/gallery/177__thumb.jpg

Yep. Is that it?

Anyway, I've been visiting my grandmother's in La Mesa for the past week and since San Diego is my hometown, it's good to see lots of development. I love Lotus Thai but what's going up across the street from it? (I don't know the street name but the hole is near Farienheit).

And Rich's is the worst club ever. Anyone know of any laid back lounge type places in Hillcrest?

Derek
Jul 3, 2008, 4:34 AM
That's Cortez Blu. I don't know about the other project. :(

Strata? Or maybe Hotel Indigo?

BrandonJXN
Jul 3, 2008, 4:44 AM
What's wrong with Allegro? It's a nice building. Cortez Blu on the other hand looks crappy. Almost like a Dubai tower chopped in half.

Derek
Jul 3, 2008, 4:48 AM
Allegro doesn't bother me. The street you were talking about that Fahrenheit is on is called Island Street and the project you were referring to was more than likely either Strata or Hotel Indigo.

I researched it just for you. :ack:

Strata
http://www.ccdc.com/images/propertyImages/Strata_Final.jpg

Hotel Indigo
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development%203/01.jpg

BrandonJXN
Jul 3, 2008, 4:59 AM
Thanks. I asked because my cousin and I were eating on the paito at Lotus Thai and the crane was making alot of noise.

We need some of those buildings in LA. Sprout them up in South Park. I'm jealous of SD. Even though LA has a 54 story tower under construction (and a 800 foot tall tall tower most like next one to break ground), I like these mid rises alot. Even though the 500 foot tall height limit sucks as you can't really get too creative with things, I like it. And why doesn't Harbor Club light up anymore? SD's skyline is too dark. It needs color. The Hyatt Towers, OAP, and Harbor Club should all change color.

Derek
Jul 3, 2008, 5:00 AM
Harbor Club definitely needs some lights.

spoonman
Jul 3, 2008, 5:07 AM
I was down at the Hotel Solamar the other night and noticed that the Mariott on the adjacent corner is finally under construction. I wish the Renaissance would get going since it's been years since they cleared out Gran Havana. Poor Gran Havana...RIP:(

yerfdog
Jul 3, 2008, 5:36 AM
Whats going in at the site of the former Burger King?
Are you talking about the one that was somewhere around 10th Ave. and B Street? (I might have those streets way wrong, I haven't been in that area for downtown SD for years)

One time when I was a little kid I was eating there with my family, probably after visiting the zoo or something. Some mentally ill woman came rampaging into the store kind of yelling incoherently. After a few seconds she sat down at a table. I was furtively staring at her from a few tables over because that's what little kids do.

She snarled "What are you looking at, GOODIE TWO-SHOES?!?" and stormed out of the building while I cowered behind my mom. http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8804/iconlolns0.gif http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8804/iconlolns0.gif

Made such an impression on me I never went back there http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8804/iconlolns0.gif
I guess good riddance to that Burger King http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8804/iconlolns0.gif

kpexpress
Jul 3, 2008, 6:34 AM
Thanks. I asked because my cousin and I were eating on the paito at Lotus Thai and the crane was making alot of noise.

We need some of those buildings in LA. Sprout them up in South Park. I'm jealous of SD. Even though LA has a 54 story tower under construction (and a 800 foot tall tall tower most like next one to break ground), I like these mid rises alot. Even though the 500 foot tall height limit sucks as you can't really get too creative with things, I like it. And why doesn't Harbor Club light up anymore? SD's skyline is too dark. It needs color. The Hyatt Towers, OAP, and Harbor Club should all change color.

SD does need to light up the skyline more, especially with the harbor so close! How did Harbor Club used to light up? Never seen any pics of it.. can someone provide?

HurricaneHugo
Jul 3, 2008, 6:40 AM
^^ lol

Derek
Jul 3, 2008, 5:31 PM
SD does need to light up the skyline more, especially with the harbor so close! How did Harbor Club used to light up? Never seen any pics of it.. can someone provide?

Here's Harbor Club lit up in 1996.

http://flickr.com/photos/encouragement/135042638/

kpexpress
Jul 3, 2008, 5:47 PM
That's it? Lame. What is with this conservative town? LIght that shit and be proud of it man...

bushman61988
Jul 3, 2008, 5:55 PM

WOW, that lighting is absolutely beautiful! Why don't they do this anymore?! I hate this conservative city sometimes!

And by the way, the west side of Farenheit and the back side of Allegro Tower is absolutely hideous because of the EXPOSED CONCRETE...I know someone earlier thought it wasn't that bad but it is!

Derek
Jul 3, 2008, 6:02 PM
What's up with the exposed concrete on the back side of The Mark?

Oh, and I mentioned I didn't mind Allegro. It's not pretty but I don't think it's relatively hideous. Don't kill me. :tup:

malsponger
Jul 4, 2008, 1:02 AM
What's up with the exposed concrete on the back side of The Mark?

A lot of people like that look which is why architects and developers do it. It adds to the industrial/lofty feel the same way people like exposed bricks, ducts, pipes. I think its ok but it can definitely be over done as is the case with many new "trendy" urban residential areas and San Diego definitely falls into that category i'd say, specially East Village. There sure is quite a bit of overkill in SD though. Fahrenheit, The Mark, Doma, Aperture, Allegro, Smart Corner, even Diegan I think?

kpexpress
Jul 4, 2008, 4:49 AM
WOW, that lighting is absolutely beautiful! Why don't they do this anymore?! I hate this conservative city sometimes!

And by the way, the west side of Farenheit and the back side of Allegro Tower is absolutely hideous because of the EXPOSED CONCRETE...I know someone earlier thought it wasn't that bad but it is!

You "...hate this conservative city sometimes, but you go on to say that the exposed concrete look is absolutely hideous...." this is why I sometimes hate this conservative town. It is the edgiest-conservative town I have ever been to.

I love it

PadreHomer
Jul 5, 2008, 11:28 PM
Are you talking about the one that was somewhere around 10th Ave. and B Street? (I might have those streets way wrong, I haven't been in that area for downtown SD for years)

One time when I was a little kid I was eating there with my family, probably after visiting the zoo or something. Some mentally ill woman came rampaging into the store kind of yelling incoherently. After a few seconds she sat down at a table. I was furtively staring at her from a few tables over because that's what little kids do.

She snarled "What are you looking at, GOODIE TWO-SHOES?!?" and stormed out of the building while I cowered behind my mom. http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8804/iconlolns0.gif http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8804/iconlolns0.gif

Made such an impression on me I never went back there http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8804/iconlolns0.gif
I guess good riddance to that Burger King http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8804/iconlolns0.gif
Thats the one!

bmfarley
Jul 5, 2008, 11:44 PM
You "...hate this conservative city sometimes, but you go on to say that the exposed concrete look is absolutely hideous...." this is why I sometimes hate this conservative town. It is the edgiest-conservative town I have ever been to.

I love it
I believe the exposed concrete s in vogue because it is cheap. With little to do after the concrete has been poured and surface smoother.... that's it.

I do have a concern.... that in 10-30 years, those buildings willl look dated and detract from an area. A similrity could be the 30 years old 12-15 story towers, like Beech Tower.

yerfdog
Jul 6, 2008, 6:23 AM
Thats the one!

hahaha, glad to hear that it will be something else.

keg92101
Jul 6, 2008, 2:59 PM
I believe the exposed concrete s in vogue because it is cheap. With little to do after the concrete has been poured and surface smoother.... that's it.

I do have a concern.... that in 10-30 years, those buildings willl look dated and detract from an area. A similrity could be the 30 years old 12-15 story towers, like Beech Tower.

Exposed concrete dated? I guess you've never been to the Salk.

kpexpress
Jul 6, 2008, 7:49 PM
^^ exactly what I was thinking

keg92101
Jul 7, 2008, 7:26 PM

Also, Do you know how much MORE expensive it is to do an exposed concrete wall rather than a stucco wall? Believe me, Developers don't just do concrete because it is cheap. It is MUCH more expensive than metal stud, wood, or Pre-Fab stucco panels.

malsponger
Jul 7, 2008, 7:34 PM
Also, Do you know how much MORE expensive it is to do an exposed concrete wall rather than a stucco wall? Believe me, Developers don't just do concrete because it is cheap. It is MUCH more expensive than metal stud, wood, or Pre-Fab stucco panels.

Yup and a much higher quality wall.

SDCAL
Jul 7, 2008, 10:29 PM
I like the exposed concrete look. It's simple and industrial and I think it will remain more timely than alot of the ugly crap you see on alot some of these buildings

As someone mentioned above, look at the Salk. This is a world-renowned piece of architecture that uses alot of exposed concrete. It's beautiful

I think the fahreheight building also won an "orchid" award if I'm not mistaken. I think the concrete side looks nicer than the orange tin side

SDCAL
Jul 7, 2008, 10:36 PM

They did that during the republican Convention, probably because it was a high-profile event and there were national media attention focused on downtown and the convention center

Of course this cheap conservative cowtown would not continue this once the media left

keg92101
Jul 8, 2008, 6:27 AM
I like the exposed concrete look. It's simple and industrial and I think it will remain more timely than alot of the ugly crap you see on alot some of these buildings

As someone mentioned above, look at the Salk. This is a world-renowned piece of architecture that uses alot of exposed concrete. It's beautiful

I think the fahreheight building also won an "orchid" award if I'm not mistaken. I think the concrete side looks nicer than the orange tin side

Damn Straight my Building won the Orchid!!!

bmfarley
Jul 10, 2008, 4:34 AM
Cosmo Square.. an olde that is still around?

cosmo square is still a go....... but not for 6 months.. it will be a parking lot for this summer, but should see some action this fall...

The giant Grigio Is also it going to get a roof top club, I can't think of the clubs name in LA , something like the "Orient" (think of the standard in LA). anyways my friends are stoked because the "orient?" is a great club

Anyone have any updates to add. I know the 6 month period has not concluded, but at one point litigation was being discussied ont he parcel... making the developer declare bankruptcy and such.

keg92101
Jul 10, 2008, 6:00 AM

Anyone have any updates to add. I know the 6 month period has not concluded, but at one point litigation was being discussied ont he parcel... making the developer declare bankruptcy and such.

Wine Steals is coming to East Village. The old Kvass rehab in the Legend...

malsponger
Jul 11, 2008, 6:10 PM
New downtown Hilton in Salt Lake City?

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/5117/ufo003tp7.jpg

Derek
Jul 11, 2008, 9:59 PM
:cucumber:

Salt Lake City?

sandiegodweller
Jul 12, 2008, 12:30 AM

The next hearing is July 17th.

bmfarley
Jul 12, 2008, 1:35 AM
New downtown Hilton in Salt Lake City?

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/5117/ufo003tp7.jpg
I see the similarity.

Where's the boiler room? I couldn't resist... bad joke.

But, yes, it's shorter and looks very similar. Just not the roof line/facade.

HurricaneHugo
Jul 12, 2008, 8:33 AM
I have no idea what's going on...

Marina_Guy
Jul 13, 2008, 2:18 AM
I see the similarity.

Where's the boiler room? I couldn't resist... bad joke.

But, yes, it's shorter and looks very similar. Just not the roof line/facade.

I agree as UGLY as the San Diego version. BTW the lovely 'top' they put on the SD version does not even cover the mechanical equipment. Can't wait to see the dirt streaks develop all over this one. And since when did the sign ordinance get amended to allow HILTON signs and logos on all four sides of this hideous piece of architecture?

bmfarley
Jul 13, 2008, 2:58 AM
...And since when did the sign ordinance get amended to allow HILTON signs and logos on all four sides of this hideous piece of architecture?

Who's sign ordinance is it? Keep in mind, was a Port District property.... which if it was a city ordinance, may not apply to them.

Marina_Guy
Jul 13, 2008, 4:31 AM
Who's sign ordinance is it? Keep in mind, was a Port District property.... which if it was a city ordinance, may not apply to them.

Agree. I don't know if the Port has one. I guess the Hyatt and Marriott have better taste. (not that those properties are on my favorite list)

PadreHomer
Jul 13, 2008, 7:57 PM
I agree as UGLY as the San Diego version. BTW the lovely 'top' they put on the SD version does not even cover the mechanical equipment. Can't wait to see the dirt streaks develop all over this one. And since when did the sign ordinance get amended to allow HILTON signs and logos on all four sides of this hideous piece of architecture?
Hate.

bmfarley
Jul 14, 2008, 1:30 AM
Hate.
I am oay with it. And, I am sure once other buildings go up around it, that it'll be diluted to the point that few will think about it.

Btw, are there any updated images of the twin tower design of the Hyatt or Hilton being desinged for Park & Imperial?

keg92101
Jul 15, 2008, 1:17 AM
While walking the dog over to City Dog for a haircut, I noticed that the old VOA's signs are down, there is a note that they've moved to 16th St, and the doors & windows are all boarded up. Maybe that means that the TJ Law School is about to start construction!

Derek
Jul 15, 2008, 2:33 AM
That would be exciting. :D

keg92101
Jul 15, 2008, 3:02 AM
That would be exciting. :D

I'm just stoked that we won't hear the sirens every hour from the medics rushing over there!

HurricaneHugo
Jul 15, 2008, 4:54 AM
what building is going up at the former st paul's site on market and 16th?

i was gonna make a donation and then i was like wtf is this?

sandiegodweller
Jul 15, 2008, 8:43 PM

Update:

The hearing is at 2:00 Wednesday, July 16th

02:00 PM 0.00 1.00 0.00
1 - 08-01803-JM Ch 11 SIMPLON BALLPARK LLC
1) DEBTOR'S OPPOSITION TO MOTION FOR RELIEF FROM STAY, RS #JAD-1
(REAL PROPERTY BOUNDED BY J STREET, ISLAND STREET, 7TH AND
8TH AVENUES, CITY OF SAN DIEGO CA) FILED BY JEFFRY A. DAVIS ON
BEHALF OF SDG-LEFT FIELD, LLC (fr 6/25)
2) SCRIPPS INVESTMENT & LOAN, INC.'S OPPOSITION MOTION FOR RELIEF
FROM STAY, RS #JAD-1 (REAL PROPERTY BOUNDED BY J STREET,
ISLAND STREET, 7TH AND 8TH AVENUES, CITY OF SAN DIEGO CA) FILED
BY JEFFRY A. DAVIS ON BEHALF OF SDG-LEFT FIELD, LLC
(fr 6/25)
3) MOTION TO INCUR POST-PETITION SECURED DEBT AND FOR
CONDITIONAL DISMISSAL OF CH 11 PROCEEDING FILED BY THOMAS C
NELSON ON BEHALF OF SIMPLON BALLPARK LLC (fr 6/25)
US TRUSTEE: United States Trustee
ATTORNEY: Thomas C Nelson (Simplon Ballpark LLC)
ATTORNEY: Jeffry A. Davis (SDG-Left Field, LLC)
ATTORNEY: George A. Foster (Edward Young, Ghayda Young)
ATTORNEY: Robert P. Goe (Strategic Land Advisors, Inc.)
ATTORNEY: Scott A. Schaelen (Nasland Engineering)
ATTORNEY: Adam M. Starr (Kohn Pederson Fox Associates PC)
ATTORNEY: James Jaconette (James I. Jaconette)
ATTORNEY: Geoffrey E. Marr (Plaza Del Sol RET)
ATTORNEY: George B. Blackmar (A Street Associates, LLC)
ATTORNEY: David A. Ortiz (Tiffany L. Carroll)
ATTORNEY: Victor A. Vilaplana (& Loan, Inc. Scripps Investment)
ATTORNEY: Judith A. Descalso (Ash & State LLC)
OTHER: Ash & State LLC

HurricaneHugo
Jul 16, 2008, 5:23 AM
anybody know what project is going up north of Washington between goldfinch and falcon streets?

it's a big hole, but the crane isn't too big

bmfarley
Jul 16, 2008, 5:39 AM
anybody know what project is going up north of Washington between goldfinch and falcon streets?

it's a big hole, but the crane isn't too bigI don't know, but I found it coincidental that I have drive along Washington and wondered the same thing so much that I passed by it today. No signs, darn it.

It appears from teh holes I saw through the fence that the sub level is now built up to about ground level... from what could tell.

HurricaneHugo
Jul 16, 2008, 7:15 AM
i almost crashed my bus rubbernecking :D

sandiego_urban
Jul 16, 2008, 10:57 PM

it's a big hole, but the crane isn't too big
Did you all forget about the Paseo de Mission Hills project?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development%203/5150_paseo-washington-small.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development%203/8974_paseo_002.jpg
http://www.clbpartners.com/projects/detail.php?type=state&list=5&id=11

It looks like the same developer has a proposal for the St. Paul's church, across from Balboa Park . Who knows if and when this project will ever be built?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development%203/02-1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development%203/01-2.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development%203/03-1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development%203/04-1.gif
http://www.clbpartners.com/projects/detail.php?type=state&list=5&id=14

sandiego_urban
Jul 16, 2008, 11:35 PM
Some renderings of Lane Field that I've never seen before from the Port of SD's website.

In the status section of the link below (don't know if it's current or final), it mentions that one tower will be 275' and the other 200', which is shorter than the original proposal at 400' and 350', respectively. I guess it's not a bad thing since they are situated right along the water. The overall design still leaves much to be desired, though.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development%203/lane1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development%203/lane2.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development%203/lane3.jpg
http://www.portofsandiego.org/lane-field/195-lane-field/648-overview.html

Here's a link to a TOD development for East Village at Commercial and 22nd that looks pretty cool, called Comm22 - http://www.comm22.com/

It's amazing that this project was able to break ground recently -

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development%203/ten_fifty_b_2.jpg

Ten Fifty B
1050 B Street
San Diego, CA 92101

Expected Completion - Spring 2010

Located in downtown San Diego's East Village neighborhood on the north side of B Street, between 10th & 11th Avenues. Ten Fifty B will be a 23 story (236') high rise mixed-use project with 229 Studios, 1, 2 & 3 bedroom units and approximately 14,000 square feet of retail space on the north side of B Street.

Unit Count & Size
229 Units
Studios, 1, 2 & 3 Bedroom Units

sandiego_urban
Jul 16, 2008, 11:40 PM
Wine Steals is coming to East Village. The old Kvass rehab in the Legend...
If it becomes anything like Hillcrest location, EV will be happening every night of the week. :)

bmfarley
Jul 17, 2008, 4:11 AM
It looks like the same developer has a proposal for the St. Paul's church, across from Balboa Park . Who knows if and when this project will ever be built?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development%203/02-1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development%203/01-2.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development%203/03-1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/downtown%20development%203/04-1.gif
http://www.clbpartners.com/projects/detail.php?type=state&list=5&id=14

Sweet, but that church is already there. It looks like the illustrations are trying to show how the proposed buildings that are flanking the church are respecting it.

Looks sweet if you ask me. I think 6th Avenue across from Balboa Park is an excellent place for high rises.... as long as they are not in Lindbergh's flight path.

Derek
Jul 17, 2008, 6:22 AM
I love the way the St. Paul's Cathedral area looks in those renderings.

ChargerFan
Jul 17, 2008, 6:31 AM
i like those lane fields renderings but they could use a little height. has there been any progress on lane field or the nbc lot? i cant wait till these projects are completed it will bring a great new look feeling to the waterfront. :tup:

HurricaneHugo
Jul 17, 2008, 8:17 AM
That St. Paul's project is looking good! :)

Jobohimself
Jul 17, 2008, 8:44 AM
Electra is finally lit up. It looks great in the skyline with its lighting scheme.

kpexpress
Jul 18, 2008, 5:25 AM
^^^can someone please post a pic?

HurricaneHugo
Jul 18, 2008, 8:27 AM
Electra is finally lit up. It looks great in the skyline with its lighting scheme.

Take a picture damnit!

I need a new wallpaper!

Jobohimself
Jul 18, 2008, 12:24 PM
^^^can someone please post a pic?

I am having trouble with photobucket, so visit my deviantArt: http://moscademantequilla.deviantart.com/art/Perpetual-Change-92051934

the lighting changes colours and is LED. Sorry for the image quality, it was a bit foggy. Click on the image to fullview.

Derek
Jul 18, 2008, 6:25 PM
That looks nice! :)

What's up with the Grande View Towers? How come one top is blue and one is white?

sandiego_urban
Jul 18, 2008, 6:34 PM
I am having trouble with photobucket, so visit my deviantArt: http://moscademantequilla.deviantart.com/art/Perpetual-Change-92051934

the lighting changes colours and is LED. Sorry for the image quality, it was a bit foggy. Click on the image to fullview.
That's a great shot from Coronado. I saw it last night but only from the Marina area. I do like that it changes colors, but now we have 4 "cubes" (Legend, The Grande twins) in the skyline. Oh well, better than nothing, I guess.

On another note, Sapphire is helping to fill in the gaps! :)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Downtown%20Shots/Perpetual_Change_by_MoscaDeMantequi.jpg

sandiego_urban
Jul 18, 2008, 6:43 PM
Sweet, but that church is already there. It looks like the illustrations are trying to show how the proposed buildings that are flanking the church are respecting it.

Looks sweet if you ask me. I think 6th Avenue across from Balboa Park is an excellent place for high rises.... as long as they are not in Lindbergh's flight path.
Yeah, I like the juxtaposition of the old church sitting next to a modern tower. And I also think that 6th Ave, along the western end of Balboa Park has potential to become a mini version of 5th Ave, along Central Park in NYC. :tup:

sandiego_urban
Jul 18, 2008, 7:20 PM
Yup, I think Electra's newly lit up crown pretty much completes our skylines resemblance to what you'd find in a drill bit case -

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Downtown%20Shots/74988px500.jpg

...and how can we forget about Emerald Shapery's homage to the Allen Wrench? Yes, all 8 of them! :D :D :D

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/Downtown%20Shots/fork_oil_17mmwrench.jpg

Jobohimself
Jul 18, 2008, 9:49 PM
I know this is a dead horse complaint, but EVERYTHING in San Diego county seems to be affected by air traffic or NIMBYs. As a photographer and lover of architecture, I'd love to see some 600-700 footers in San Diego, seeing as it has so much potential.

...But I guess that's why I'm moving back to San Francisco.

HurricaneHugo
Jul 19, 2008, 5:36 AM
Electra needs a bit more light.

Maybe a couple of vertical neon lights?

Derek
Jul 19, 2008, 6:43 AM
It's still better than Harbor Club. :ack:

BrandonJXN
Jul 19, 2008, 4:36 PM
Electra (and a majority of SD towers) should be lit up like Circle on Cavil in Gold Coast Austraila.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/239/img3274pslargeql5.jpg

CoastersBolts
Jul 20, 2008, 1:11 AM
I was driving through Liberty Station last night, and while looking at that incredible view it has of downtown, did not see Electra illuminated. Is it only lit up on that one side of the top? Or perhaps it's off and on at this point. What I was happy to find on my drive through that area was the awesome view right down the Lindbergh Field runway from the Ace Hardware parking lot. Wow.

OCtoSD
Jul 20, 2008, 7:30 PM
The columbia webcam has been out forever and I had been getting frustrated unable to see bayside or saphire's progress. Today I figured out you can get an awesome view of Banker's Hill, Little Italy, and Columbia from the Cortez Webcam if you rotate it. Its almost better than the Columbia webcam because it has a pano from far away and you can zoom to see close ups. So check it out. If I knew how to use that photobucket thing I would post screen shots.

malsponger
Jul 20, 2008, 9:48 PM
The columbia webcam has been out forever and I had been getting frustrated unable to see bayside or saphire's progress. Today I figured out you can get an awesome view of Banker's Hill, Little Italy, and Columbia from the Cortez Webcam if you rotate it. Its almost better than the Columbia webcam because it has a pano from far away and you can zoom to see close ups. So check it out. If I knew how to use that photobucket thing I would post screen shots.

In the morning when the sun's coming out of the East you can actually pick up a ton of detail if you zoom in real close. I agree, it's a better camera but I do miss that One America Plaza view.

HurricaneHugo
Jul 21, 2008, 2:13 AM

Three things.

1) Moscademantequilla, lol.
2) Do you have a bigger version of the pic for BG uses?
3) What camera did you use?

SDCAL
Jul 21, 2008, 5:00 AM
i like those lane fields renderings but they could use a little height. has there been any progress on lane field or the nbc lot? i cant wait till these projects are completed it will bring a great new look feeling to the waterfront. :tup:

Look for Lane Field to get off the ground way before nbc

I think Lane Field has all approvals and is supposed to start later this year

Navy Broadway is a mess - - legal wranglings are ongoing and the UT had an article a week or two ago saying oponents won a landmark victory

part of the problem is it's a Manchester property. Manchester is an idiot. He gets invovled in big projects and when things don't go his way he just sues the city

bmfarley
Jul 21, 2008, 8:34 AM
The media is overblowing the NBC recent court decision as a huge setback. They are rather ignorant of the decision and its implications.

The Federal Judge ordered, basically, a mis-step was done involving public input under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA). Not enough time, or insufficient notice, or something like that... was not provided.

So, an additional opportunity was required by the judge.

What does it mean... it only depends on the input recieved. If it has merit, the Navy will address the comments... maybe even voluntarily change the design a bit... all depending on the merits of the comments.

But... NEPA does not require the project sponsor (the Navy/Manchester) to do a thing to the design. Nothing is mandated. NEPA is all about disclosure. .... making sure decisions are made in the light of day... that project sonsors and public are aware of the impacts. But, does not require mitigation measures.

So, to a large degree... the suit brought against the Navy/Manchester that resulted in the judges decision..... amounts to very little. In my view.. more time to look at ugly grey square buildings and expansive empty parking lots collecting litter.

malsponger
Jul 21, 2008, 5:11 PM
I'd love to see that area filled in. It's such prime real estate and is absolutely hideous right now with surface parking. My favorite area downtown is Columbia but it just drops off at PCH and becomes no man's land. I took a walk around the city yesterday and noticed the potential this city has.

Imagine this:
-NBC
-Lane Field
-First & Island.
-Train trench with a cap.
-Better looking trolleys
-Capped 5 connecting Balboa Park.
-Airport move to lift height limit.
-Empty area between core and 5 would become the new core with 700-900 ft buildings.

San Diego in 20 years? Maybe. I'm sure the energy crisis will bring back the notion of "centrally located" and reduce the US's tendency to sprawl. Walking around I noticed so many great potential lots that are just surface parking or some 2 story building next to a 20 story one. What an awesome city this would be if it filled in.

Jobohimself
Jul 21, 2008, 8:10 PM
Three things.

1) Moscademantequilla, lol.
2) Do you have a bigger version of the pic for BG uses?
3) What camera did you use?

1) I enjoy wordplay immensely. :)
2) No, only of my best stuff. I consider that pic merely a snapshot.
3) Nikon D80 and a Nikkor 18-135mm AF-S DX lens.

sandiego_urban
Jul 22, 2008, 12:36 AM
A few snaps from the webcams taken today. As someone mentioned, a couple of them seem to be out of commission for now -

Sapphire and Bayside
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/DT%20WebCam/1216627300201724.jpg

Father Joe's?
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/DT%20WebCam/fatherjoe-2.jpg

Cranes are up for both Strata and Hotel Indigo
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/DT%20WebCam/strata-2.jpg

Vantage Pointe is looking good from this angle.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/DT%20WebCam/vanty5.jpg

VP from Symphony Towers
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/DT%20WebCam/vanty1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/DT%20WebCam/vanty2.jpg

Hilton tower looks about done
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Jaygergon/DT%20WebCam/hilty-2.jpg

SDCAL
Jul 22, 2008, 1:36 AM
Update:

The hearing is at 2:00 Wednesday, July 16th

02:00 PM 0.00 1.00 0.00
1 - 08-01803-JM Ch 11 SIMPLON BALLPARK LLC
1) DEBTOR'S OPPOSITION TO MOTION FOR RELIEF FROM STAY, RS #JAD-1
(REAL PROPERTY BOUNDED BY J STREET, ISLAND STREET, 7TH AND
8TH AVENUES, CITY OF SAN DIEGO CA) FILED BY JEFFRY A. DAVIS ON
BEHALF OF SDG-LEFT FIELD, LLC (fr 6/25)
2) SCRIPPS INVESTMENT & LOAN, INC.'S OPPOSITION MOTION FOR RELIEF
FROM STAY, RS #JAD-1 (REAL PROPERTY BOUNDED BY J STREET,
ISLAND STREET, 7TH AND 8TH AVENUES, CITY OF SAN DIEGO CA) FILED
BY JEFFRY A. DAVIS ON BEHALF OF SDG-LEFT FIELD, LLC
(fr 6/25)
3) MOTION TO INCUR POST-PETITION SECURED DEBT AND FOR
CONDITIONAL DISMISSAL OF CH 11 PROCEEDING FILED BY THOMAS C
NELSON ON BEHALF OF SIMPLON BALLPARK LLC (fr 6/25)
US TRUSTEE: United States Trustee
ATTORNEY: Thomas C Nelson (Simplon Ballpark LLC)
ATTORNEY: Jeffry A. Davis (SDG-Left Field, LLC)
ATTORNEY: George A. Foster (Edward Young, Ghayda Young)
ATTORNEY: Robert P. Goe (Strategic Land Advisors, Inc.)
ATTORNEY: Scott A. Schaelen (Nasland Engineering)
ATTORNEY: Adam M. Starr (Kohn Pederson Fox Associates PC)
ATTORNEY: James Jaconette (James I. Jaconette)
ATTORNEY: Geoffrey E. Marr (Plaza Del Sol RET)
ATTORNEY: George B. Blackmar (A Street Associates, LLC)
ATTORNEY: David A. Ortiz (Tiffany L. Carroll)
ATTORNEY: Victor A. Vilaplana (& Loan, Inc. Scripps Investment)
ATTORNEY: Judith A. Descalso (Ash & State LLC)
OTHER: Ash & State LLC

so what happened

mongoXZ
Jul 22, 2008, 3:55 PM
I've been trying to post a webcam update but i dont know if the site/cams aren't working properly or if it's my computer. Thanks for the updates sd urban. It's hard to believe Father Joes project is that far along. Maybe we can put him in charge of those other stalled projects like the central library or Navy Complex lol.

bmfarley
Jul 22, 2008, 11:58 PM
The CCDC Community Advisory Committee meets tomorrow. On the agenda is an item speaking to building signage of the Ballpark Marriot undergoing desing... and which has been somewhat critized for its bulkiness and having faces with insufficient articulations. It lacked character.

Below is an image of an early version:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/SD%20Bldg%20Pics/Marriot2.jpg

Below is an image of what is going before the CCDC Community Advisory Committee.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/SD%20Bldg%20Pics/Marriot072308.jpg

I am unsure it goes as far as I'd like, but it appears much improved. Other opinions.

malsponger
Jul 23, 2008, 5:06 AM
Has anyone noticed that the top two tiers on Vatange Pointe are a floor or two off? Looks weird IMO on that type of building considering everything else seems to be symmetrical.

orchidsandonions
Jul 23, 2008, 3:57 PM
STOP AND SMELL THE SKYLINE – ORCHIDS & ONIONS 2008
It’s that time of year when San Diego is in full bloom. Help pick this year’s bunch of Orchids and Onions!
Nominate. Comment. Vote.

The San Diego Architectural Foundation is kicking off the 2008 Orchids & Onions program with the launch of a new Web site, www.orchidsandonions.org (http://orchidsandonions.org), designed to expand public participation in the program. The nomination period is now open.

You are now able to:
• Submit nominations on a year round basis
• Review all nominations
• Comment on all nominations

As in previous years, you will be able to cast ballots for the People’s Choice Orchid and Onion. Nominees will be posted on the Web site in October.

How to nominate
• To be eligible, the project must be in San Diego County and must not be a single-family residence.
• Projects in the planning stages will be considered if they have been subjected to public scrutiny.
• It is highly recommended that digital photos, illustrating the reason for the nomination, accompany submissions.
• Aug. 31 is the cut off date for nominations for the 2008 awards. Nominations received after this time will be considered for next year’s awards.
• Your name will not be made public on the nomination.

Nominations may be submitted in one of eight categories:
• Architecture
• Landscape architecture
• Urban design
• Public art
• Planning policies
• Sustainable design
• Historic preservation
• Interior design

After you have submitted your nomination, check out what other San Diegans have been nominating and join the conversation!

About Orchids & Onions

The objective of Orchids & Onions is to inspire excellence in every aspect of San Diego’s built environment. Interactive and community based, the program encourages all San Diegans to nominate the projects that make their heart soar and the ones that are plain eyesores.
A jury of design professionals and artists determine the official Orchids and Onions in categories such as architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, historic preservation, sustainable design and public art. The online People’s Choice Vote gauges San Diegans’ opinions about their city. The culmination is a fun-filled awards presentation, inspiring practical discourse on San Diego’s built environment.

Orchids and Onions is a fundraising program for the San Diego Architectural Foundation, a 501(c)3, nonprofit organization.

SDCAL
Jul 23, 2008, 10:05 PM
still not liking the marriott too much, plus it's hard to really compare the old and new images because they are from different vantage points. I'd be curious to see what the new images look like from a side view.

Please tell me they took the stone off the towers, that would look hideously tacky and an overly-obvious unimaginative try to get the towers to "match" the ballpark -

SDCAL
Jul 23, 2008, 10:15 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/images/080723bldggerding280.jpg

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/images/080723bldghines280.jpg

More Metro

City has proposals in hand for a new downtown City Hall

By Jeanette Steele
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

12:30 p.m. July 23, 2008

Two very different proposals for a new San Diego City Hall are now on the table.
One offers the city an iconic sail-like building with wind turbines at the top, council chambers atop a glass “mesa” and about 2 million square feet of private development on the surrounding blocks. The complex would generate its own energy through wind and solar panels.

The other: No private development, just a new city office building and a four-story glass City Hall where the council would meet in view of passersby on the street.

The two developers vying to rebuild San Diego's four-block Civic Center complex downtown will be unveiling their proposals at 1 p.m. Wednesday.

The smaller firm, Gerding Edlen of Portland, is the firm proposing the grander scale. Spokesman Tom Cody says his company thinks the mix of private offices, housing and possibly a hotel can be viable if it is built over seven to 12 years.

“This is really about vibrancy. How to take this anchor of the city and leverage it into a more meaningful district,” Cody said.

International giant Hines Corp., based in Houston, is billing itself as the more conservative, low-risk bet for a city still struggling with its finances.

“It provides the city with the most certainty. They know what their costs are going to be,” said Paul Twardowski of Hines. “The city should not be entering risky ventures right now. The city should be taking conservative approaches to save money.”

No financial details were released, just artist renderings of buildings and site plans.

The chairman of the Centre City Development Corp., the nonprofit city agency overseeing the process, said he hopes the numbers can made public over the next week or so. They were held back so CCDC can request any revisions needed without one developer tipping its hand to the other.

Of the competitors, Hines is the known quantity in San Diego, as it served as developer on the downtown ballpark project for Padres owner John Moores.

Its resume boasts huge civic projects around the world. The Hines team includes big-name architects Pelli Clarke Pelli, but a Hines official says an iconic project isn't the goal here.

The underdog is Gerding Edlen, a newcomer to San Diego. Gerding bills itself as the company whose heart is “green.” A big dog in Portland, the firm has helped redraw that city's downtown waterfront, but San Diego would be among its largest projects.

AdvertisementMore than 3,200 city employees now work in 1 million square feet spread across eight downtown buildings, four of which the city owns.
City officials want to demolish the city-owned towers and construct enough office space, about 700,000 square feet, to house all downtown city workers there. It could save the city at least $13 million a year in leases.

Also, the city's buildings have maintenance problems, such as asbestos and seismic issues, that would cost $112 million to fix and bring up to date, the city estimates.

Mayor Jerry Sanders has said he does not want the Civic Center project to move forward if it costs the city more than the existing leases and maintenance would cost.

SDCAL
Jul 23, 2008, 10:18 PM
Here are the votes on the new city hall so-far

Results
Which proposal would you prefer?

The Gerding plan
73.5% (97)

The Hines plan
16.7% (22)

Leave it alone
9.8% (13)

I think I have to agree, even though it's hard to get a feel from a couple small renderings. I like the Gerding Plan (the first picture posted). It is whimsical and unique without being tacky and cheap looking. Very nice

bmfarley
Jul 23, 2008, 11:12 PM
Gerding Design
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/images/080723bldggerding280.jpg

Hines Design
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/images/080723bldghines280.jpg

Here's an update... Gerding taking it away. But, I want to see more design illustrations. The Gerding one likely generating much more interest because it has a much more exciting illustration.

From the Tribune poll at 4:11pm

Gerding
81.4% (284)

Hines
13.2% (46)

Do Nothings
5.4% (19)

A landslide so far!

sandiegodweller
Jul 24, 2008, 12:25 AM
Here's an update... Gerding taking it away. But, I want to see more design illustrations. The Gerding one likely generating much more interest because it has a much more exciting illustration.

From the Tribune poll at 4:11pm

Gerding
81.4% (284)

Hines
13.2% (46)

Do Nothings
5.4% (19)

A landslide so far!

Ballot Box planning has always been successful!

sandiego_urban
Jul 24, 2008, 12:38 AM
Count me in for the Gerding proposal. It surprises me that the Pelli-designed proposal from Hines looks soooo boring.

Now why couldn't we have gotten something more along the lines of the Gerding design for the much higher profile NBC and Lane Field proposals? At least it's something different and interesting to look at.

sandiego_urban
Jul 24, 2008, 12:48 AM
The CCDC Community Advisory Committee meets tomorrow. On the agenda is an item speaking to building signage of the Ballpark Marriot undergoing desing... and which has been somewhat critized for its bulkiness and having faces with insufficient articulations. It lacked character.

Below is an image of an early version:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/SD%20Bldg%20Pics/Marriot2.jpg

Below is an image of what is going before the CCDC Community Advisory Committee.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/farleybrandon/SD%20Bldg%20Pics/Marriot072308.jpg

I am unsure it goes as far as I'd like, but it appears much improved. Other opinions.

Ugh :yuck: ....is there even a difference between the two? I'm most concerned about the hideous solid sides on both towers in the earlier version, which isn't shown in the more recent one. I'm really hoping they eliminated that.

If you ask me, all they did was put lipstick on a pig to try and make it prettier. In the end, it's still a pig!!:D

Fusey
Jul 24, 2008, 1:07 AM
More city hall designs (from the Union-Tribune)

Gerding...

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/gallery1.5/albums/cityhalldesigns/SDC_03BStreet_DL3_edited_3_AH.jpg

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/gallery1.5/albums/cityhalldesigns/SDC_02Street_008_iR2.jpg

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/gallery1.5/albums/cityhalldesigns/SCD_042ndAve_010.jpg

Hines...

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/gallery1.5/albums/cityhalldesigns/Rendering_Plaza_View_toward_Tower_7_16_08.jpg

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/gallery1.5/albums/cityhalldesigns/Rendering_Plaza_View_toward_City_Hall_07_16_08.jpg

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/gallery1.5/albums/cityhalldesigns/Rendering_C_Street_7_15_08.jpg

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/gallery1.5/albums/cityhalldesigns/Rendering_Aerial_View_to_Plaza_from_tower_07_16_08.jpg

bmfarley
Jul 24, 2008, 1:20 AM
More illustrations of the Hines proposal still does not do it any justice in the polling. Gerding is still my preference.