PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Sioux Falls - Another Major Development

sodak
Mar 14, 2007, 11:07 PM
Water park planned for I-90/I-29 interchange
By Jill Callison
jcalliso@argusleader.com
Published: March 14, 2007
Construction is expected to start later this year on a water park and conference center at Interstates 90 and 29.

The $85 million Splash Resort and Conference Center with 400 guest rooms and a 50,000-square-foot enclosed water park should open in 2009.

Details of the 80-acre development, named Redstone Village, were released this morning at a press conference hosted by property owners Dr. Lloyd and Jayne Solberg.

They have owned the property, where a Quality Inn motel now stands, since the early 1980s.

“Many years ago I was struck with the thought, why is this not better utilized?” Lloyd Solberg said.

When Redstone Village is completed, it is expected to add as many as 6,000 retail, hospitality and office jobs.

The resort/conference center itself will add about 400 jobs to the area, said Eric Lund, of S & L Hospitality, a real estate development and management company. His former company, Great Wolf Resorts, operates indoor waterpark resorts.

“This will have a huge economic impact not just on the city of Sioux Falls but the state of South Dakota,” said Teri Ellis Schmidt, executive director of the Sioux Falls Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Pam Movalson, senior national market director for The Velmeir Cos., said retail space in Redstone Village will be presented at the two largest shopping center conventions.

Movalson would not disclose the retailers she has talked to about opening outlets in Redstone Village but said it includes stores that are not currently in Sioux Falls and some that might open a second or third store.

This is the third major retail/entertainment development announced in the past year. The other two are on the opposite side of the city near the new beltway being planned.

The two proposed for the East will eventually included around 2 million square feet of retail, office and hotels along with over 1,000 new housing units.

Ex-Ithacan
Mar 14, 2007, 11:21 PM
Cool, but whats spurring all the growth?

sodak
Mar 14, 2007, 11:40 PM
Mostly I think its playing catching up. Sioux Falls and the surrounding towns have added about 40,000 people over the last eight to ten years and other than an occasional big box, no significant retail growth has occurred.

Plus, the residential growth continues to accelerate. Some major job news has been announced over the past couple months, so all indications are for the trend to continue.

What's most exciting about these developments is that they are much better planned than the crap you would see even five years ago. Design is a major factor in them, with the City placing heavy emphasis on compact, mixed use growth.

Ex-Ithacan
Mar 14, 2007, 11:43 PM
Good news indeed. Look forward to some pics as these progress (hint-hint ;) )

Wolfmanfromsufu
Mar 29, 2007, 12:21 AM
When they were first talking about the development, they said they wanted to make a miniature Wisconsin Dells up in the Northwest part of town. I just hope they're not over doing it on retail development in Sioux Falls. There's already 2 major East side developments, A small lifestyle-like center near i29 and 26th st by the new Lowes, the Uptown at Falls park and other downtown development, and I swear about 10,000 mini malls going up everywhere. Only time will tell how well all these projects work.