PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : With Crime Down Overall, Erie Experiences 1st Homicide of 2007

pj3000
Mar 17, 2007, 4:54 PM
Crime, and especially, violent crime, has thankfully been down in the city of Erie for the past year, largely due to the new mayor and police chief's successful "Weed & Seed" programs in troubled areas of the city. Unfortunately, the relative peace was shattered with a young man's senseless murder the other night outside an eastside bar. I feel that what the victim's aunt said is especially meaningful and indicates what we all need to accept and remember... "because we all suffer when our children are killed prematurely and don't live their lives out". I only posted this because of the large response to the "Philadelphia: Murder City" thread in the city discussions section. Just to remind that everyone in a city is affected by these crimes, directly and indirectly.

http://geimg.sv.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=GE&Date=20070317&Category=NEWS02&ArtNo=703170351&Ref=AR&MaxW=580&title=1
Evidence markers cover the roadway and sidewalk in front of Lamas on East Avenue at the corner of E. 11th Street as Erie police investigate and mark the scene where a murder occurred. (Janet B. Campbell / Erie Times-News)

Jab to neck kills man
Police file charges less than 24 hours after fight outside tavern

BY JOHN GUERRIERO
john.guerriero@timesnews.com [more details] (http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/personalia?ID=jguerriero&category=CONTACT)

BY KARA RHODES
kara.rhodes@timesnews.com (john.guerriero@timesnews.com) [more details] (http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/personalia?ID=jguerriero&category=CONTACT)
Published: March 17. 2007 6:00AM

Davone A. Jones' rap music played over the loudspeakers inside an eastside tavern.

But the tragedy that developed outside Lamas at 1102 East Ave. put an end to the Erie man's life and what his aunt called "a bright future" in the music business.

Jones, 21, died from what Erie County Coroner Lyell Cook called "sharp force trauma" to the neck early Friday.

Erie County District Attorney Brad Foulk called it the county's first homicide of the year.

Police did not immediately recover the weapon, and Cook said he doesn't know if it was a knife, a broken glass bottle or some other object.

Hours after the fatal injury, Erie police charged Deandre D. Carr, 21, 1400 block of East 20th Street, with killing Jones and injuring Jones' brother, Oujacqwan Jones, 22, also of Erie.

Erie 3rd Ward District Judge Tom Carney arraigned Carr on charges of homicide, aggravated assault, recklessly endangering another person and possessing an instrument of crime. After the arraignment, at 8:30 p.m. Friday, Carney ordered the suspect held in the Erie County Prison until a county judge could set bond.

Police described a scene of separate fights involving 10 to 15 people outside the tavern about 1:30 a.m. Friday.

"It sounds like it was chaos," said Erie Police Lt. Dan Spizarny.

Erie Police Sgt. Keith Kaschalk was on routine patrol in the 1100 block of East Avenue when he saw the disturbance outside the bar, police said in a probable-cause affidavit that supports the filing of charges against Carr.

Kaschalk found Davone Jones lying in the street, "bleeding profusely" from the neck, the affidavit states.

Erie Police Detective Sgt. Jim Spagel and Detective Jon Peters interviewed Oujacqwan Jones, also known as Quan Jones, at the scene.

According to the affidavit, Quan Jones told police that he saw his brother and Carr arguing outside the bar. The affidavit does not say what they were arguing about.

Quan Jones saw Carr get out of a Lincoln Navigator and approach Davone Jones while holding something that appeared to have a black handle. Quan Jones saw Carr strike the left side of the victim's neck, the affadavit says.

http://geimg.sv.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=GE&Date=20070317&Category=NEWS02&ArtNo=703170351&Ref=V4&MaxW=240
(Chris Sigmund / Erie Times-News)

Zoom (http://javascript<b></b>:NewWindow(700,700,'/apps/pbcs.dll/misc?url=/mal/zoom.pbs&Site=GE&Date=20070317&Category=NEWS02&ArtNo=703170351&Ref=V4&NoCache=1');) | Buy this photo (http://photos.goerie.com/)

Quan Jones said he punched Carr, and Carr responded by cutting Quan Jones in the lower lip or upper chin area. The wound required sutures.

The affidavit also states that Kareem Thompson, who was working security early Friday, corroborated the account of Carr getting out of the vehicle and making "a swinging motion" at Davone Jones' neck or head area.

Thompson told police that he heard Davone Jones exclaim, "I'm cut," and saw him running around in a panic, the affidavit states.

Thompson grabbed Jones and saw that he was bleeding from the neck, according to the affidavit.

Thompson told police that Carr fled the scene as a passenger in the Navigator.

Foulk said the investigation is not complete and will continue today. Foulk and police declined to say whether the victim and Carr knew each other.

Jones was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at Hamot Medical Center.

Jones' aunt, Patsy Rosendary, cried Friday as she remembered her nephew, whom she described as having a good sense of humor and always smiling. She just saw him earlier this week.

Jones had two daughters and a fiancee, she said.

"I just can't believe my nephew is dead," she said. "It's like it's not real, that I'm dreaming. And then reality hits -- it's just horrible. Someone stuck a knife in his neck. Why would anyone be that angry?"

She said Jones' mother, Jackie, had been sedated after she fainted at the news of her son's death.

"He was a good father," she said. "I had a lot of respect for him. That's what makes this so hard."

Rosendary said Jones was a talented singer and had been working on recording and writing songs, including one about his children.

She said that her nephew sang in local clubs and was "a rising star" with "a bright future" in the music industry.

His voice, she said, "was a gift that God gave."

Rosendary gave thanks after Carr's arrest.

"I'm just grateful that God is working all things out not just for my family, but for the city of Erie, because we all suffer when our children are killed prematurely and don't live their lives out," she said.

Carr surrendered at the police station without incident a few hours before his arraignment, when District Judge Carney read the criminal complaints and explained the defendant's rights.

Carr shook his head from side to side, as if in disagreement, when the judge read the part about the object with the black handle.

Carr also asked the judge about Carr's own witnesses. The judge said Carr would be able to prepare a defense and call witnesses with the help of his attorney.

Police collected evidence at the scene Friday morning. When snow began to fall around 9 a.m., however, the signs of violence were covered with a blanket of snow.

Anyone with information about the case can call Erie Police at 870-1154 or 870-1159.

Ex-Ithacan
Mar 17, 2007, 9:38 PM
Very sad incident. Unfortunately, crap like that happens many times every day in the US. Hate to think people get numb to this type of thing, but I'm afraid many folks do. On the plus side, at least Erie is getting safer overall.