PDA

View Full Version : Calgary weather

Pages : [1] 2

freeweed
Mar 21, 2007, 2:38 PM
OK, all you weather statistics buffs:

With today's unexpected snow dump, I'm starting to wonder how this winter compares overall to a "normal" Calgary snow load. February seemed excessive for this city, and the numbers prove it: near record snowfall.

How does this winter compare to the record books overall? It seems like we've had near-continual snow since November. While I'm looking forward to some great conditions at Sunshine this weekend, I'm getting sick of shovelling my sidewalk every other day. :haha:

sync
Mar 21, 2007, 2:48 PM
don't shovel, it will all melt by noon anyway!

yeah, this is my 5th year in calgary, and i am still shocked by how fast things change here.

-10 to +15 in under 24 hours seems not uncommon for this time of year.

must suck to be a weatherman (person!) in this city. it seems nearly impossible to predict the weather here, especially in the spring/fall.

Calgarian
Mar 21, 2007, 2:53 PM
OK, all you weather statistics buffs:

With today's unexpected snow dump, I'm starting to wonder how this winter compares overall to a "normal" Calgary snow load. February seemed excessive for this city, and the numbers prove it: near record snowfall.

How does this winter compare to the record books overall? It seems like we've had near-continual snow since November. While I'm looking forward to some great conditions at Sunshine this weekend, I'm getting sick of shovelling my sidewalk every other day. :haha:

This is pretty much average, the last couple years (especially last year) were warmer and dryer than unual. March and April have lots of snow pretty much daily.

dubiousmike
Mar 21, 2007, 3:01 PM
I don't think this winter has been too bad overall in terms of temperature.

It's just this cycle we've going through the past month that's bugging me.

Snow! Slush! Snow! Slush! Snow! Slush!

It's the first day of spring, for shitsake, I want flowers and leaves and spandex clad girls jogging past my apartment.

Calgarian
Mar 21, 2007, 3:04 PM
I don't think this winter has been too bad overall in terms of temperature.

It's just this cycle we've going through the past month that's bugging me.

Snow! Slush! Snow! Slush! Snow! Slush!

It's the first day of spring, for shitsake, I want flowers and leaves and spandex clad girls jogging past my apartment.

here here :cheers:

Rusty van Reddick
Mar 21, 2007, 3:12 PM
It does not snow "pretty much daily" in March or April. April delivers the most snow on average but the average snow depth is actually near zero. This means that you get the occasional storm, and it melts. It typically snows only 7 days in an average April, 10 in March.

This winter was a bad winter. The deep, deep freeze in November, the number of periods when it snowed for days and days- this was bad. Not apocalyptic, but bad, and worse than average no matter how many people insist it wasn't.

Calgarian
Mar 21, 2007, 3:25 PM
It does not snow "pretty much daily" in March or April. April delivers the most snow on average but the average snow depth is actually near zero. This means that you get the occasional storm, and it melts. It typically snows only 7 days in an average April, 10 in March.

This winter was a bad winter. The deep, deep freeze in November, the number of periods when it snowed for days and days- this was bad. Not apocalyptic, but bad, and worse than average no matter how many people insist it wasn't.

When I said "pretty much daily" I meant to say, it is not uncommon to wake up to a light dusting of snow, with lots of snow a few times a week. This winter may have been colder than average, but it really wasn't bad. Try living in Winnipeg or Regina during the Winter. :haha:

Rusty van Reddick
Mar 21, 2007, 4:23 PM
When I said "pretty much daily" I meant to say, it is not uncommon to wake up to a light dusting of snow, with lots of snow a few times a week. This winter may have been colder than average, but it really wasn't bad. Try living in Winnipeg or Regina during the Winter. :haha:

I'll just try to imagine it.

You have to admit- November was a shocker- I had to wear thermals something like 4 days in a row, it snowed all during that arctic outbreak, and the streets were like glass- it was terrible. And we've had one stretch where it snowed 8 days almost nonstop in Feb...

Fiveway
Mar 21, 2007, 4:39 PM
At the same time, I can't recall a milder January. That's in 30 some years of living here.

Calgarian
Mar 21, 2007, 5:23 PM

You have to admit- November was a shocker- I had to wear thermals something like 4 days in a row, it snowed all during that arctic outbreak, and the streets were like glass- it was terrible. And we've had one stretch where it snowed 8 days almost nonstop in Feb...

Yeah, It was pretty brutal. That's what those fools in Manitoba and Saskatchewan get for 4 months straight :haha: :haha: :haha:

Lets just hope spring arrives early like it did last summer. :yes:

freeweed
Mar 21, 2007, 5:24 PM

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid a "Calgary vs other prairie cities" style thread. This winter has still been far better than any I experienced in Winnipeg (duh) but that wasn't my question.

I'm trying to keep this focussed on comparing it to previous Calgary winters. Also trying to decide if I need to invest in more snow-clearing equipment. :haha:

Calgarian
Mar 21, 2007, 5:28 PM

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid a "Calgary vs other prairie cities" style thread. This winter has still been far better than any I experienced in Winnipeg (duh) but that wasn't my question.

I'm trying to keep this focussed on comparing it to previous Calgary winters. Also trying to decide if I need to invest in more snow-clearing equipment. :haha:

Other prarie cities are obviously colder, but at least they have some consistency, Calgary weather is Fucked!!!! :jester:

lubicon
Mar 21, 2007, 5:30 PM
This winter was different from others. Temperature wise it didn't seem too bad and we didn't get any big dumps of snow either yet there seemed to be more snow on the ground for a longer period of time this year. Don't know why, but it just seemed that way to me. Maybe we didn't get as many chinooks this year.

I'm almost 100% sure we will still get our usual spring blizzard that dumps 20,30, or even 40cm of snow on us too.

IntotheWest
Mar 21, 2007, 8:18 PM
Furry - you're right in that the winter started with a bang at the end of November...but in a "typical" winter, we go through two weeks worth of the "deep freeze"...in Calgary, that mean temps in the -20's, daytime highs no more than about -20, and a couple lows worth of -30c. This winter, that one week was pretty much it. February was below average by a couple degrees, but Dec and Jan were well above - which likely led to Feb feeling worse.

Regardless, this past winter ties 1986/87 as the second warmest on record in Canada (05/06 being the warmest)...all of Alberta was above average - and the Calgary area was well above.

If someone wants to post the graphs and pics from here, it may help:

http://www.msc-smc.ec.gc.ca/ccrm/bulletin/national_e.cfm

EDIT: Yes, I'm the biggest weather fact nut on here :-)

IntotheWest
Mar 21, 2007, 8:46 PM
^In addition, here's some quick snapshot stats...it's worth mentioning that Nov isn't part of the winter stats used in the EC diagrams (just in case that wasn't obvious).

Nov snowfall 28.4cm [average 16.4]
average high for month -0.9 [normal high 2.8c]
(1 day under -30c) -30.1c lowest temperature

Dec snowfall 8.2 cm [average 17.6]
average high for month 3.9c [normal high -1.3c]
lowest temperature -19.3c

Jan snowfall 12.2cm [average 17.7]
average high for month 2.5c [normal high -2.8c]
lowest temperature -26.1c

Feb snowfall 42.8cm [average 13.4]
average high for month -3.2c[normal high -0.1c]
lowest temperature -25c

Total snowfall average = 65.1 cm (including Nov)
Total snowfall this winter = 91.6 cm (including Nov)

sync
Mar 21, 2007, 9:03 PM
Feb snowfall 42.8cm [average 13.4]
average high for month -3.2c[normal high -0.1c]
lowest temperature -25c

yup, that sucked.

in february my girlfriend was in skoah @ chinook and i was chatting to one of the girls who works there (who had just moved from vancouver) - i had to reassure her several times that this much snow in february was not normal!

tuffyy
Mar 21, 2007, 11:35 PM
Did a little research and Calgary is Canada's sunniest city in the Winter months.
Yellowknife is the sunniest city overall year-round,But lets remember it doesnt really get dark in June/July up there...

Calgarian
Mar 22, 2007, 1:48 AM
Did a little research and Calgary is Canada's sunniest city in the Winter months.
Yellowknife is the sunniest city overall year-round,But lets remember it doesnt really get dark in June/July up there...

That's why i like it here, I could never live in Vancouver where it rains for 4 months straight.

freeweed
Mar 22, 2007, 4:18 AM
IntotheWest, thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

See? Sometimes being lazy DOES work. :D

IntotheWest
Mar 22, 2007, 4:22 AM
^yeah, I'm obsessed with weather facts...and proving it's not that bad here ;-)

shreddog
Mar 22, 2007, 2:48 PM
For what it’s worth, I always track the awakening of my herb garden in the Spring which is in a sheltered, sunny spot. I always capture the date when we cut the first Chives (at 15cms) and Taragon (also 15 cms) to celebrate the end of winter

In 2004
Chives – Mar 14
Taragon – Mar 19

In 2005
Chives – Mar 16
Taragon – Mar 25

In 2006
Chives – Mar 12
Taragon – Mar 19

In 2007
Chives – Mar 14
Taragon – Mar 19

So at least for the last 4 yours, the plants have thought that the late winter, early spring season was pretty much the same.

And as for that November cold snap, it really didn't feel that out of the ordinary - which is really a sad thing to say!

bigcanuck
Mar 22, 2007, 2:52 PM
For what it’s worth, I always track the awakening of my herb garden in the Spring which is in a sheltered, sunny spot. I always capture the date when we cut the first Chives (at 15cms) and Taragon (also 15 cms) to celebrate the end of winter

In 2004
Chives – Mar 14
Taragon – Mar 19

In 2005
Chives – Mar 16
Taragon – Mar 25

In 2006
Chives – Mar 12
Taragon – Mar 19

In 2007
Chives – Mar 14
Taragon – Mar 19

So at least for the last 4 yours, the plants have thought that the late winter, early spring season was pretty much the same.

And as for that November cold snap, it really didn't feel that out of the ordinary - which is really a sad thing to say!

This sounds like a clip out of An Inconvenient Truth...

IntotheWest
Mar 22, 2007, 4:47 PM
^there are a couple benefits to "Climate Change" for Canada - a longer growing season is one of them :-)

Shreddog - Cool info, thanks! I've been thinking of keeping similar info on when some of our perrenials start popping up...most of our ground cover started showing new growth in the first week of March, and all our trees showed some buds by around March 11th...which seems earlier, but not too sure. The only measure I really have right now is when my Prickley Pear Cactus in a planter on my deck (which, BTW, as a "zone 5" cactus should NOT be able to survive in a container in Calgary) will flower...I'd have to check last year's date, but typically mid-June.

shreddog
Mar 22, 2007, 6:16 PM
As I said, the herb garden is in a special spot - sheltered, south facing with a stone wall behind it. Gets very warm, very fast. Plus both chives and taragon are early risers so these are always the first that are ready. However, by first week of April most of the other hardy perenial herbs are harvestable.

Most of the rest of the garden stuff also seems on par with previous years. I find logs like this best to track the climate since my memory is so bad and can be skewed by a cold snap or two.

IntotheWest
Mar 22, 2007, 7:24 PM
^Well, it's been shown that the growing season in Calgary's area has increased up to 10 days a year since the mid-90's...so, your log will eventually show the same.

My backyard is south facing (and well sheltered), so it too is generally warmer than most - hence the ground cover and flowers starting to poke through in early March. The Prickly Pear Cactus is also well protected and on a concrete-made deck with tons of light - but also can get 5-10c warmer than recorded at YYC on almost any sunny day.

shreddog
Mar 22, 2007, 8:30 PM
^Well, it's been shown that the growing season in Calgary's area has increased up to 10 days a year since the mid-90's...so, your log will eventually show the same.
Just curious, what is you source for this? I'm a member of the Calgary Horticultural Society and while we all like to brag about the zone 6a/6b plants we can coax to survive, to my knowledge no one has spoken about that much of a change in the growing season. People do speak of minor changes due microclimate establishments in their yards, but I am not aware of anything on a macro scale. Not saying that it ain’t happening, just that I haven’t heard about it.

Unfortunately I moved houses in 02, so my logs from ’94 are of limited value. But I don’t remember there being much change in the length of season over those 8 years.

That said, Calgary being Calgary, there is nothing typical or average about our growing season!!!

IntotheWest
Mar 22, 2007, 9:11 PM
Well, I won't pretend to be an expert from a plant perspective...my source is from Alberta Govt Agriculture site - and is based on the 1990 EC 30-year data, and the current (2000) EC 30-year data:

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/sag6449?opendocument

I guess it's really 5-10 days - not specifically "10 days" as I mentioned.

I can tell you as well, that based on the data from 1981 to 2007 (so far...and only a couple years to go until the new averages are calculated), the averages have changed again by a few degrees over the winter months - this will again lengthen the growing season by at least a couple days.

As far as coaxing zone 6 plants...don't think I've done that. I've played it safe with Zone 5. However, USDA classifies the Prickly Pear as "Zone 5", yet it is native to southern AB ;-)

Jay in Cowtown
Mar 23, 2007, 12:12 AM
Calgary's weather plays headgames with you like that girlfriend from High School.

freeweed
Mar 23, 2007, 4:07 AM
Calgary's weather plays headgames with you like that girlfriend from High School.

I only wish.

Instead of spring break blowjobs, we get spring break snowjobs.

Boris2k7
Mar 25, 2007, 3:41 PM
Gah, it's fucking snowing again. Oh well, at least it's big, flaky snow. Looks kinda cool.

IntotheWest
Mar 25, 2007, 5:55 PM
^Yeah - March on average receives the most snowfall, and April is actually just behind Jan/Dec...but on "average" more than Feb (not this year :-).

At least it was still 4c out though (about average).

Regina is 17c right now - going to 20c! Lucky them.

Rusty van Reddick
Mar 25, 2007, 6:04 PM
April has the most snow on average in Calgary. Look it up.

And right now- forecast shows snow for 7 days straight first week of April- my snow shovelling guy charges $15 a shovel in April, which cost me 0$ last year- erk- hope this forecast is wrong. I'd shovel myself but I'm, you know, lazy.

IntotheWest
Mar 25, 2007, 7:37 PM
^Nov 16.4cm
Dec 17.6cm
Jan 17.7cm
Feb 13.4cm
Mar 21.9cm
Apr 15.4cm

Based on EC's 30-year "Normals" 1971-2000. However, "Normal" rarely applies in Calgary.

Rusty van Reddick
Mar 25, 2007, 10:27 PM
^Nov 16.4cm
Dec 17.6cm
Jan 17.7cm
Feb 13.4cm
Mar 21.9cm
Apr 15.4cm

Based on EC's 30-year "Normals" 1971-2000. However, "Normal" rarely applies in Calgary.

Where are you getting this? Check

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/stats/pages/C02082.htm?CAAB0049

March 19, April 20. April gets the most snow on average. December is tied with March.

IntotheWest
Mar 25, 2007, 11:44 PM
^ Furry, I get it from EC directly, or for more updated stats, my own Excel spreadsheet (I told ya, I'm a weather nut ;-)

I never would trust Weathernetwork for weather stats...if you look at the bottom of the page you're looking at it mentions it uses the stats from "1961 to 1990" - this is Environment Canada's OLD stats, 30 year rolling average...updated every 10 years. So, the current values on Environment Canada's website directly are for 1971-2000:

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climate_normals/results_e.html?Province=ALL&StationName=calgary&SearchType=BeginsWith&LocateBy=Province&Proximity=25&ProximityFrom=City&StationNumber=&IDType=MSC&CityName=&ParkName=&LatitudeDegrees=&LatitudeMinutes=&LongitudeDegrees=&LongitudeMinutes=&NormalsClass=A&SelNormals=&StnId=2205&

Rusty van Reddick
Mar 26, 2007, 2:21 AM
^ Furry, I get it from EC directly, or for more updated stats, my own Excel spreadsheet (I told ya, I'm a weather nut ;-)

I never would trust Weathernetwork for weather stats...if you look at the bottom of the page you're looking at it mentions it uses the stats from "1961 to 1990" - this is Environment Canada's OLD stats, 30 year rolling average...updated every 10 years. So, the current values on Environment Canada's website directly are for 1971-2000:

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climate_normals/results_e.html?Province=ALL&StationName=calgary&SearchType=BeginsWith&LocateBy=Province&Proximity=25&ProximityFrom=City&StationNumber=&IDType=MSC&CityName=&ParkName=&LatitudeDegrees=&LatitudeMinutes=&LongitudeDegrees=&LongitudeMinutes=&NormalsClass=A&SelNormals=&StnId=2205&

ah- I've been pwned. :)

freeweed
Mar 26, 2007, 2:22 AM
Yeah, the Weather Network has prettier graphics, but their forecasts and historic figures are... interesting.

On average we usually take anything they say past about 5 days, invert it compared to normal, and that's how the weather actually is. They're currently forecasting 8 or 9 sold days of snow to start April. Um, yeah.

IntotheWest
Mar 26, 2007, 2:54 AM
Okay - Furry, I didn't think I'd see you use "pwned"...I'm still a little confused over that term myself (or it's origins anyway). ;)

Wooster
Mar 26, 2007, 4:01 AM
^ a misspelling of 'owned' in a video game that nerds latched on to as hilarious.

Rusty van Reddick
Mar 26, 2007, 4:03 AM
^ a misspelling of 'owned' in a video game that nerds latched on to as hilarious.

^as with "teh." Used to demean idiotic viewpoints, as in "I don't want to catch teh gay!"

IntotheWest
Mar 26, 2007, 3:44 PM
That is interesting...

bigcanuck
Mar 26, 2007, 4:27 PM
I'm still trying to figure out w00t...

IntotheWest
Mar 26, 2007, 4:38 PM
^quickly googled, and it looks like another vid-game term? "We Own Other Team"?

sync
Mar 26, 2007, 8:03 PM
13375p34k (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet)

Calgarian
Mar 26, 2007, 9:01 PM
I hear we are in for about 15cm tonight.

mersar
Mar 27, 2007, 12:04 AM
Yep.

City of Calgary
3:28 PM MDT Monday 26 March 2007
Snowfall warning for
City of Calgary upgraded from winter storm watch
Heavy snowfall is expected to develop overnight along the southern foothills.

A system from the pacific will move inland and develop over Idaho tonight. The system will spread precipitation into Alberta overnight and reach as far north as Fort Chipewyan by Tuesday night. Across the southwestern foothills and portions of south central Alberta snow is expected to fall. Current indications show that the largest amounts will occur near Calgary and along the foothills. Snowfall amounts of 10 to 15 centimetres are expected in Calgary and along the foothills west of Calgary. This snow should taper off late in the day Tuesday.

Wet snow is still expected in central Alberta with accumulations near 5 to 8 centimetres. Snow is expected to develop early Tuesday through central Alberta. The snow should taper off Tuesday evening.

jeffwhit
Mar 27, 2007, 1:13 AM
April has the most snow on average in Calgary. Look it up.

And right now- forecast shows snow for 7 days straight first week of April- my snow shovelling guy charges $15 a shovel in April, which cost me 0$ last year- erk- hope this forecast is wrong. I'd shovel myself but I'm, you know, lazy.

It's facts like this that make me think Calgary is stupid :(

Rob D
Mar 27, 2007, 2:40 AM
Okay - Furry, I didn't think I'd see you use "pwned"...I'm still a little confused over that term myself (or it's origins anyway). ;)

Check this site out:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

Type in the word/term/phrase you're wondering about and there's a good chance of finding someone's explanation or interpretation of it.

Thinner6
Mar 27, 2007, 3:39 AM
Apparently tomorrow it's supposed to snow and then clear up in no time...

mersar
Mar 27, 2007, 3:43 AM
And the best news is that most of the snow will melt as it lands, or turn to rain on the way down.

At least the city is ready, they had an interview with someone from Roads on 660 tonight and they said they'd already put all the plows on standby, and they will have full crews on the road before the snow starts.

freeweed
Mar 27, 2007, 3:58 AM
^quickly googled, and it looks like another vid-game term? "We Own Other Team"?

That is what is known as a backronym (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backronym).

W00t comes from w00, which is leetspeak for woo, as in woo-hoo! (excited exclamation). People were saying w00t online long before online multiplayer games even existed.

Yes, sadly enough I've been around long enough to remember before any of this stuff got started. Not sure if I should put :D or :( after that sentence. :haha:

"pwned" is definitely a gamer term - it came years after people were regularly saying "owned".

Speaking of weather, skiing at Sunshine is AMAZING when there are hardly any clouds. You can see for miles and miles up there. No powder, but the view more than makes up for it. :tup:

IntotheWest
Mar 27, 2007, 5:10 PM
^You know, I've played vids since Pong-days, and been "programming" for about 20 years - I've never seen or heard those "leet" terms. Now that I have, I'm starting to think I've spent too much time on here.

dubiousmike
Mar 27, 2007, 5:19 PM
Whoever is in charge of Calgary's weather, I hope they get stabbed.

sync
Mar 27, 2007, 5:26 PM
^You know, I've played vids since Pong-days, and been "programming" for about 20 years - I've never seen or heard those "leet" terms. Now that I have, I'm starting to think I've spent too much time on here.

a lot of these terms were popularized by online deathmatch games like doom and later quake.

pwn j00!

mersar
Mar 27, 2007, 5:50 PM
Whoever is in charge of Calgary's weather, I hope they get stabbed.

I agree.

I managed to make it to work this morning just in time, it was just starting to snow by the time I got to the parking lot at McMahon, and by the time I stepped off the bus and ran into Cragie Hall it was coming down pretty good. Glad I didn't need to drive through it when it was really coming down. A few people who came in shortly after that I saw looked like snowmen, and it doesn't look much better last I looked outside.

Rusty van Reddick
Mar 27, 2007, 5:51 PM
Mersar, you come in 5 days a week?

mersar
Mar 27, 2007, 5:53 PM
Yep. Work in the morning then classes then work again in the afternoon.

Rusty van Reddick
Mar 27, 2007, 5:58 PM
Yep. Work in the morning then classes then work again in the afternoon.

As they say in Kentucky- bless your heart.

freeweed
Mar 27, 2007, 6:39 PM

It's all about how much time you spend on IRC or online gaming areas. And these days, how many of your idiot friends use text messaging on cellphones. :haha:

IntotheWest
Mar 27, 2007, 7:05 PM
^I don't know anyone that uses a cell phone to "text"...just talk. Some days I'm really ready to throw all my tech gadgets out the window...

freeweed
Mar 27, 2007, 8:07 PM
I wish I could say the same. The worst part about it is, these are co-workers.

Bloody kids today. Get off my damn lawn!

DizzyEdge
Mar 27, 2007, 10:59 PM

The key isn't to have been a computer geek, the key is to have been an online (bbs/net) computer geek.

Jay in Cowtown
Apr 5, 2007, 1:12 AM
If it don't stop snowing soon... I'm gonna have to get a prescription for Prozac!

KrisYYC
Apr 5, 2007, 7:31 AM
If it don't stop snowing soon... I'm gonna have to get a prescription for Prozac!

Me too, and it's so much worse when you have to work outside all day too. My wrists are half cut...

Rusty van Reddick
Apr 5, 2007, 5:21 PM
The Weather Network predicted this a couple weeks ago and some of you guys thought they were ridiculous- it was for 7 straight snow days first week of April, and as of today, forecast shows snow thru tomorrow- that's six straight, with nary a break.

sync
Apr 5, 2007, 6:11 PM
The Weather Network predicted this a couple weeks ago and some of you guys thought they were ridiculous- it was for 7 straight snow days first week of April, and as of today, forecast shows snow thru tomorrow- that's six straight, with nary a break.

just proves they are only right when predicting terrible weather!

Rusty van Reddick
Apr 5, 2007, 9:08 PM
just proves they are only right when predicting terrible weather!

OMG, have you actually noticed this? Back in 03 (was it 03?) when we had that horrible March that was the coldest since 1899 (remember -20 on the first day of spring?), they were SPOT ON the whole time with the horrible weather predictions, but every prediction of a break was completely wrong- not that it was only the weather net but it just seems that bad weather is easier to predict!

IntotheWest
Apr 6, 2007, 3:14 AM
^I believe it was 02....-6.9c average for a high in March...that's actually the worst average high for any winter month in years - I would guess at least a decade.

These past few days have been brutal - despite the nice March (average high of a very pleasant +7.9c) we had this year...how quickly bad weather will erase the memory of recent "nice" weather.

sync
Apr 6, 2007, 5:35 PM
how much longer can this go on?

i can't take it!

DLLB
Apr 6, 2007, 7:29 PM
This has been a very long winter/spring. It's almost 6 months since we had the first significant snow fall and cold weather.

Jay in Cowtown
Apr 6, 2007, 7:52 PM
This has been a very long winter/spring. It's almost 6 months since we had the first significant snow fall and cold weather.

Back on Sept 12 last year I was sitting in a bar on the Riverwalk in San Antonio in 95 degree weather when my phone rang and my dad told me it was supposed to snow in Calgary that week... sure as shit, when I got off the plane two days later, the ground was white. The poplar trees on top of Scott Lake Hill on Trans Canada are all broke in half from the 3 1/2 feet of snow that fell that weekend.

Slug
Apr 15, 2009, 8:40 PM
Snow in the backyard is almost gone now, the snowbank in the shade was ~ 6 ft high a month ago. I think I just jinxed it.

lubicon
Apr 15, 2009, 9:20 PM
OMG, have you actually noticed this? Back in 03 (was it 03?) when we had that horrible March that was the coldest since 1899 (remember -20 on the first day of spring?), they were SPOT ON the whole time with the horrible weather predictions, but every prediction of a break was completely wrong- not that it was only the weather net but it just seems that bad weather is easier to predict!

^I believe it was 02....-6.9c average for a high in March...that's actually the worst average high for any winter month in years - I would guess at least a decade.

These past few days have been brutal - despite the nice March (average high of a very pleasant +7.9c) we had this year...how quickly bad weather will erase the memory of recent "nice" weather.

I recall my kid's first birthdays - March 15, 2001 and it was at least -30° so that might be the year you are thinking of (??).

Since I moved here in 1997 I can also recall major snowfalls around the middle of May (1997) and in late April (probably 2001 or 2002).

freeweed
Apr 16, 2009, 12:36 AM
Since I moved here in 1997 I can also recall major snowfalls around the middle of May (1997) and in late April (probably 2001 or 2002).

Last year we had a huge snow dump in the last part of April. Somewhere around the 22nd if memory serves.

Slug
Jun 4, 2009, 9:19 PM
Snoooooooooooo!

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff340/memisanc/Snooooooooooooooo.jpg

Haven't seen this here before in June. Hopefully the forecast is wrong.

lineman
Jun 5, 2009, 4:25 AM
Wet snow? Yeah it's happened. Thank goodness I have the next three days off, but so much for mountain biking.

Yume-sama
Jun 5, 2009, 7:13 PM
:) My new neighbors who moved in down the street today said they drove through snow in Red Deer this morning.

Luckily none of that here, though it is COLD. :yuck:

Slug
Jun 5, 2009, 8:57 PM
I saw a few hefty flakes at the end of this last shower. Its coming.

Jimby
Jun 6, 2009, 11:13 PM
a sudden brief hailstorm this afternoon

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3592/3601256709_5921ed4440_b.jpg

pallo
Jun 7, 2009, 5:28 AM
Here is a pic from the summer snowfall that hit Calgary yesterday

http://i40.tinypic.com/ok7ktu.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/y1ba8.jpg

:crazy:

:D

You people are the luckiest people on earth in my opinion to have cold weather all year around! I only wish i lived there, so i wouldn't have to put up with the awful hot weather in summer

frinkprof
Jul 6, 2009, 9:55 PM
Nevermind.

You Need A Thneed
Jul 6, 2009, 9:58 PM
but there's always rain during Stampede, so that's not late.

frinkprof
Jul 6, 2009, 10:17 PM
Nevermind.

mersar
Jul 6, 2009, 10:30 PM
Yep, they sure have. We had a good frost on Canada Day out in Cochrane

freeweed
Jul 7, 2009, 12:33 AM
Still seems late to be getting the first (I think) substantial downpours of the year.

Certainly the first up here in the NW. We've had no significant rain going on 2 months now. That snow in June was IT for precipitation. Lawns out here come in 2 states right now - bright green and a $200 water bill per month, or just about dead. I've given up; no way am I wasting that much water just to simulate a golf course. I'd have to water at least an hour every single night to keep my lawn green, the water table is so low.

I haven't lived here long, but the grass looks to me as dry as it usually gets in mid or late August, maybe even September. Young trees are all showing signs of severe dehydration.

This isn't Stampede rain, which while often substantial aren't torrential. This is MONJUNE, finally! Think back to every time the city closes roads for flooding and storm drains are full. It's always in June sometime.

I'm looking forward to a wet week, much as it sucks for Stampede. The southern parts of the province really needed this.

freeweed
Oct 13, 2009, 8:13 PM
Bump!

(I notice these threads die if we don't occasionally do this; because of the new Local format no one can ever find them)

PS: someone start a ski/snowboard thread, that one's long disappeared.

frinkprof
Oct 13, 2009, 8:22 PM
Nevermind.

korzym
Dec 4, 2009, 5:16 PM
hopefully you guys snap some action shots of today's conditions!

http://65.104.36.247/default.asp?display=cams&area=calgary&TextOnly=

frinkprof
Dec 4, 2009, 5:30 PM
Nevermind.

earl69
Dec 4, 2009, 5:34 PM
hopefully you guys snap some action shots of today's conditions!

http://65.104.36.247/default.asp?display=cams&area=calgary&TextOnly=

It's NASTY out there.... I just got back to downtown from Silverado in the deep SW. Drive safe everyone!

Surrealplaces
Dec 4, 2009, 5:37 PM
Nasty, sums it up!

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7310/image120409002a.jpg

Surrealplaces
Dec 4, 2009, 5:40 PM
Today's weather :)

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7310/image120409002a.jpg

freeweed
Dec 4, 2009, 5:52 PM
You can tell we've had an exceptionally nice winter so far. Yeah, it's bad out, but come on - this is nothing for Calgary. Yet I'm already hearing reports of businesses telling their employees "go home early if you feel unsafe".

Not that I disagree with that idea; I think all of us living in winter climates should do this when a storm rolls in, if nothing else it helps cut down on the 5pm gridlock.

But still - this is peanuts for us.

freeweed
Dec 4, 2009, 5:53 PM
Seems like everything is about a month late this year. Spring snowfall in early June, now the rain that usually comes in June is coming in early July.

Heh. This was at the top of the page. Even winter is a month late this year.

CorporateWhore
Dec 4, 2009, 6:11 PM
Damn, after looking at that photo, I'm not sure I want to come home for Xmas this year.

Stang
Dec 4, 2009, 6:23 PM
You can tell we've had an exceptionally nice winter so far. Yeah, it's bad out, but come on - this is nothing for Calgary. Yet I'm already hearing reports of businesses telling their employees "go home early if you feel unsafe".

Not that I disagree with that idea; I think all of us living in winter climates should do this when a storm rolls in, if nothing else it helps cut down on the 5pm gridlock.

But still - this is peanuts for us.

You mean we get winter? In Calgary? It seems that people are becoming more and more ignorant to that fact.

I can't wait for the complaining (mostly in the media) to start about snow removal. "I don't care if we got 20 centimetres of snow in 24 hours - my cul-de-sac is still covered in snow!! This is unacceptable!"

Cowtown_Tim
Dec 4, 2009, 6:49 PM
Damn, after looking at that photo, I'm not sure I want to come home for Xmas this year.

This weather must look like your worst nightmare right now - that is unless you're a Rider's fan, then the 13th fan is worst nightmare ;)

Surrealplaces
Dec 4, 2009, 7:15 PM
Well thanks to the nasty weather I'm out of here in about 20 minutes :D A company memo was sent out telling everyone in the Calgary area to go home.

Getting out at 430pm...lucky guy!

Bigtime
Dec 4, 2009, 7:18 PM
Well thanks to the nasty weather I'm out of here in about 20 minutes :D A company memo was sent out telling everyone in the Calgary area to go home.

...and yet us retail chumps have to keep working away!

Funny enough we actually have had quite a few customers in today. Some even buying exterior lumber, what's up with that?

bigcanuck
Dec 4, 2009, 7:48 PM

Ditto - we're shutting down at 2:30pm today.