PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Atlanta Project Thread III

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Sedaded
Mar 26, 2007, 12:10 AM
Since the old one is well over 2,000 posts, I thought I'd start a new one.

It appears that Aqua has officially topped out. I wouldn't be surprised to see a little tree/flag waving around this week.

gttx
Mar 26, 2007, 12:50 AM
Since the old one is well over 2,000 posts, I thought I'd start a new one.

It appears that Aqua has officially topped out. I wouldn't be surprised to see a little tree/flag waving around this week.

Yeah - I've been trying to figure out what's going on top of the building...it appears that something is being built to mask the HVAC system.

Also, what will that huge concrete wall look like? (The one on the back of the building, not the base). I think it would be amazing if they somehow incorporated a water feature into it, thus living up to the name Aqua.

In other news, demolition at the Palomar site is underway and they've torn down about half of the old building there.

CityFan
Mar 26, 2007, 2:05 PM
ATLANTA'S BEST KNOWN STREET BECOMES A “GREAT STREET”

Today the Peachtree Corridor Task Force unveiled a bold new plan designed to transform the city's most well known thoroughfare into an international destination.

The Peachtree Corridor plan calls for dramatic changes to take place along more than 14 miles of roadway, from Club Drive and Peachtree Road to the north all the way down to Ft. McPherson. It also includes a “Downtown Loop” that connects Auburn and Edgewood Avenues to Peachtree in order to bring together many of Atlanta's most popular tourist attractions, including the Martin Luther King Historic Site and the BeltLine with Centennial Olympic Park, the Georgia World Congress Center, the Georgia Aquarium and the World of Coca-Cola.

One of the recommended changes would be to the name of the street itself with the plan calling for the entire stretch simply to be called “Peachtree” and extend all the way to Fort McPherson.

In addition to the name change, the plan calls for a return of streetcars to the city center for the first time in decades, wider sidewalks, bicycle lanes and new parks and public spaces featuring extensive landscaping and artwork,. It also calls for significant improvements to roads in the southern end of the project, as well as the creation of a large linear park in that area.

By the time of its completion, total capital expenditures on the project are projected to reach nearly one billion dollars and will be paid for using city, state, federal, corporate and philanthropic funds.

The Peachtree Corridor Task Force took about a year to come up with the plan. Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin unveiled the details of the report at a City Hall news conference Monday morning.

“Today, we mark the beginning of a public-private partnership that will transform Peachtree into one of the world's most dynamic and beautiful streets,” she said. “When finished, the project will link our city's people and commerce and provide a comprehensive plan for Atlanta's continued spectacular growth.”

The task force was co-chaired by Tom Bell, Chairman & CEO of Cousins Properties and Egbert Perry, Chairman & CEO of The Integral Group, and was comprised of individuals who represent constituencies along the Corridor.

“We have worked hard to bring together all elements of our community in an effort that truly represents the best in public-private partnerships,” said Mr. Bell. “We are enthusiastic about the work we've done and the recommendations we now turn over to the mayor and the city. When finished, Peachtree will serve as a magnet for our city filled with new amenities, housing opportunities and specific plans to prepare for and accommodate the inevitable growth of this vital corridor.”

Mr. Perry added, “Today marks the beginning of the effort to make this vision a reality. We look forward to the input from interested individuals as we work toward making this plan even better. We are convinced that this project will significantly improve the quality of life for our citizens, and enhance the environment for business people and commuters, while creating wonderful and memorable experiences for visitors to our great city. We are excited to bring them together in a new vision of urban life."

The task force report now goes before the public, government agencies and other interested parties for their input. A public hearing will be held on Saturday, May 5th at City Hall.

For additional details, visit www.peachtreecorridor.com.

micropundit
Mar 26, 2007, 8:03 PM
Published on: 03/26/07

A group of developers is building what it says will be an upscale hotel near Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

Choice Hotels International has contracted with CQ Capital Partners to build a Cambria Suites on Best Road. The hotel will have an indoor pool, a state-of-the-art fitness center, a restaurant and lounge. The guest rooms will be 25 percent larger than standard hotel rooms and have CD/DVD players.

WHAT IMPACT WILL IT HAVE?

The developers believe the 140-room hotel will be a sophisticated stopping point for international travelers. "We are eager to open and meet the needs of Atlanta's travelers who want more from a hotel," said William Edmundson, Cambria's vice president of brand management and strategy.

WHEN WILL IT BE DONE?

The hotel is scheduled to be built by late 2008.

— Eric Stirgus

ATLmangum
Mar 26, 2007, 8:19 PM
Published on: 03/26/07

A group of developers is building what it says will be an upscale hotel near Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

Choice Hotels International has contracted with CQ Capital Partners to build a Cambria Suites on Best Road. The hotel will have an indoor pool, a state-of-the-art fitness center, a restaurant and lounge. The guest rooms will be 25 percent larger than standard hotel rooms and have CD/DVD players.

WHAT IMPACT WILL IT HAVE?

The developers believe the 140-room hotel will be a sophisticated stopping point for international travelers. "We are eager to open and meet the needs of Atlanta's travelers who want more from a hotel," said William Edmundson, Cambria's vice president of brand management and strategy.

WHEN WILL IT BE DONE?

The hotel is scheduled to be built by late 2008.

— Eric Stirgus

Any idea on the height or how many stories?

I'm guessing no more than 6 or 7.

trainiac
Mar 28, 2007, 5:37 PM
I was over by Octane the other day... holy moly there's alot going on! Right there where Howell Mill splits off Marietta St, there's the new Italian grocery, then a bunch of units in a one story building that face the parking lot -- are those going to be residential or retail?

Then that old Spanish-looking building to the west: they were doing some demolition but it looked like maybe they'd be saving the facade. Anyone know what that's going to be?

So pretty much everything on the south side of Marietta St from Northside to the bridge over the tracks looks to be getting developed. Who'da thunk

RobMidtowner
Mar 28, 2007, 5:53 PM
Beltline anyone? :worship:

SwimAtl
Mar 28, 2007, 6:59 PM
if atl can pull off the beltline and the streetcar (heck, while i'm dreaming - throw in the Center for Civil & Human Rights and symphony hall) - the city will be forever changed - and it'll have a chance to become the great regional capital it should be.

cokezero
Mar 28, 2007, 7:19 PM
It appears as though the Novare Group has either revised their plans for the Roxy site or they have planned an additional phase for the site. They requested a new DRI Review today for a project named "Roxy Residential Tower" at Roswell Road and Irby Avenue. It is planned to have "250 High rise condo units; 32000 sf speciality retail; 10000 sf quality restaurant" and they list a planned completion date of 2009.

Novare's original Roxy project was planned to have 445 units with 85,000 sf of retail (55,000 sf new and 30,000 sf existing).

CityFan
Mar 28, 2007, 7:57 PM
if atl can pull off the beltline and the streetcar (heck, while i'm dreaming - throw in the Center for Civil & Human Rights and symphony hall) - the city will be forever changed - and it'll have a chance to become the great regional capital it should be.
I like your idea, but I am in favor of streetcar with different routes that better connect Atlanta instead of overlay with MARTA.

cokezero
Mar 29, 2007, 1:55 AM
Novare's website for ViewPoint is finally fully active tonight with floorplans and all! It appears to have a much greater percentage of 1 BR + Dens and 2 BR homes than any other Novare project at this pricepoint. Take a look, it's quite impressive.

ViewPoint (http://www.viewpointmidtown.com)

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6503/viewpointbx8.jpg

This is from their site - I believe it is the first official rendering of all three towers.

Tombstoner
Mar 29, 2007, 3:35 AM
:previous: Thanks for the heads-up on the website--it's very well done! I think Viewpoint looks okay, but with Spire right across the street, the 4 buildings together look a little monotonous to me.

john3eblover
Mar 29, 2007, 4:08 AM
:previous: Thanks for the heads-up on the website--it's very well done! I think Viewpoint looks okay, but with Spire right across the street, the 4 buildings together look a little monotonous to me.

But go to ANY modern city, especially ones that are as heralded on this site as Chicago, NYC, Boston, and lots of the condo buildings are inherently the same in the way they look. I think Atlanta needs buildings like these to fill in the gaps and provide a certain functionality. We have plenty of good looking office buildings to spice things up, but we need these monotonous (if you want to call them that) condo buildings to help things out. That being said, I think that rendering looks great, and if all 3 buildings are built, that area is going to be really cool.

Harry Cane
Mar 29, 2007, 11:44 AM
It appears as though the Novare Group has either revised their plans for the Roxy site or they have planned an additional phase for the site. They requested a new DRI Review today for a project named "Roxy Residential Tower" at Roswell Road and Irby Avenue. It is planned to have "250 High rise condo units; 32000 sf speciality retail; 10000 sf quality restaurant" and they list a planned completion date of 2009.

Novare's original Roxy project was planned to have 445 units with 85,000 sf of retail (55,000 sf new and 30,000 sf existing).

I seem to recall that after the original DRI was done, some sort of deal was reached with another developer who wanted to keep the Roxy theater intact. Novare sold part of the land to him for that purpose. That was probably what caused the scale back from the original plan.

Harry Cane
Mar 29, 2007, 11:45 AM

True. Wonder what the Hines development next to Bulldog's will look like. Maybe it'll be something totally different and will break up the monotony.

scania
Mar 29, 2007, 12:15 PM

Hopefully Novare will do a tower that's thin like Buckhead Grand or The Atlantic. No more towers that all remind me of the grid of the game Connect Four.

jobe
Mar 29, 2007, 12:50 PM
Damn, people in this forum like to whine a lot. I think we should start a new thread just for that so the rest of us can be spared.

mayhem
Mar 29, 2007, 1:16 PM
Damn, people in this forum like to whine a lot. I think we should start a new thread just for that so the rest of us can be spared.

:cheers:

inoppositelock
Mar 29, 2007, 1:23 PM

Hmmm...that sounds like a bit of whining in itself. How about you spare me.

MarketsWork
Mar 29, 2007, 1:35 PM

Well said, jobe! There seems to be no shortage of people who whine about what others build. Fortunately, there are those others who build things. May we always be blessed with the latter...
:cheers:

Andrea
Mar 29, 2007, 1:54 PM
Damn, people in this forum like to whine a lot.

Define whine.

Tombstoner
Mar 29, 2007, 2:12 PM
:previous: whine (n): something said that runs counter to what others think. It may sometimes be stupid or sometimes be intelligent, but it is always annoying to some people. (see "mindless boosterism").

ATLssMania
Mar 29, 2007, 2:21 PM
Novare's website for ViewPoint is finally fully active tonight with floorplans and all! It appears to have a much greater percentage of 1 BR + Dens and 2 BR homes than any other Novare project at this pricepoint. Take a look, it's quite impressive.

This is from their site - I believe it is the first official rendering of all three towers.

The rendering has blue glass when it will actually be silver. It also shows bare concrete. I think the silver glass and bare concrete will look sharp!

jobe
Mar 29, 2007, 2:29 PM
Hmmm...that sounds like a bit of whining in itself. How about you spare me.

Touche.

cokezero
Mar 29, 2007, 2:48 PM
The rendering has blue glass when it will actually be silver. It also shows bare concrete. I think the silver glass and bare concrete will look sharp!

The other thing I like about the main Peachtree tower is that the parking podium is set back from the street. With Novare's other two Peachtree towers, Spire and Metropolis, the parkig podium comes right out to the street and is directly above the retail space. At ViewPoint, it appears that the podium steps back after the first two floors of retail. The combination of the first two levels of the building being active uses and the set-back of the podium should make this a very approachable and pedestrian friendly building.

SteveD
Mar 29, 2007, 2:56 PM
The other thing I like about the main Peachtree tower is that the parking podium is set back from the street. With Novare's other two Peachtree towers, Spire and Metropolis, the parkig podium comes right out to the street and is directly above the retail space. At ViewPoint, it appears that the podium steps back after the first two floors of retail. The combination of the first two levels of the building being active uses and the set-back of the podium should make this a very approachable and pedestrian friendly building.

Cokezero..yes, I just noticed precisely that same thing, and went to the web cam to see if it was actually being built that way. My memory was telling me it wasn't, but it is! If you check out the webcam, you can see that it does indeed step back a bit after the first two retail levels...a nice touch. I think this gives added impetus too for the remaining towers to be built because it will leave the south elevation looking awkward until they are (at least the more southern of the two remaining).

jobe
Mar 29, 2007, 3:05 PM
I also noticed on the scale model in their sales center that the openings to the parking deck are covered with what appears to be the same glass as the rest of the tower. So that's definitely different than what they did at Spire. It looks cool. Looks more like a full building on top of retail, instead of retail with parking on top and the homes on top of that.

Andrea
Mar 29, 2007, 3:28 PM
:previous: whine (n): something said that runs counter to what others think. It may sometimes be stupid or sometimes be intelligent, but it is always annoying to some people. (see "mindless boosterism").

:haha:

UVAsuperman
Mar 29, 2007, 3:39 PM
I wonder if Novare has considered doing anything with the large open space of roof over the retail component along 6th street. Not sure if this is possible--but that would make a great patio/outdoor area for a restaurant or nightclub, in my opinion.

SteveD
Mar 29, 2007, 3:47 PM
I wonder if Novare has considered doing anything with the large open space of roof over the retail component along 6th street. Not sure if this is possible--but that would make a great patio/outdoor area for a restaurant or nightclub, in my opinion.

I bet it will serve that sort of function, but likely for resident use, not public.

mayhem
Mar 29, 2007, 4:41 PM

Steel is meant to do this on top of Plaza Midtown.

Also, J. Christopher's has been building out and the interior is starting to take shape. Something is being built in between Dressed and the theatre store. In addition, it seems that Fireside Pies has pulled out.

sunking1056
Mar 29, 2007, 5:24 PM
some sort of deal was reached with another developer who wanted to keep the Roxy theater intact

Does this mean they will just keep the facade of the Roxy or will it continue to be a functioning venue? Losing the Roxy would be a huge detriment to this area in my opinion...

mayhem
Mar 29, 2007, 5:30 PM
They're demolishing the Philly Boys building on the site of Aquarius!!!!!

Does this mean they will just keep the facade of the Roxy or will it continue to be a functioning venue? Losing the Roxy would be a huge detriment to this area in my opinion...

They always planned to keep the facade of The Roxy. This makes it sound like it will be a functioning venue.

ATLssMania
Mar 29, 2007, 5:35 PM
[QUOTE=mayhem;2728007]They're demolishing the Philly Boys building on the site of Aqua!!!!!

What is the Philly Boys building?

mayhem
Mar 29, 2007, 5:59 PM
Sorry, I made a typo. I meant on the site of Aquarius! It looks like they will be moving forward with their May groundbreaking!

Behind_Phips
Mar 30, 2007, 1:31 AM
New Phipps Plaza Tower - Buckhead

New Crescent Resources, LLC Tower behind Phipps Plaza

Go to:
http://www.skyscraper-digital.com/skyPortfolio.php

#10 under the Portfolio section

micropundit
Mar 30, 2007, 1:37 AM
^Looks good!

Sedaded
Mar 30, 2007, 2:16 AM

Go to:

Wish we could've had #5

scania
Mar 30, 2007, 3:22 AM

Go to:

Looks great!!

scania
Mar 30, 2007, 3:24 AM
Steel is meant to do this on top of Plaza Midtown.

Also, J. Christopher's has been building out and the interior is starting to take shape. Something is being built in between Dressed and the theatre store. In addition, it seems that Fireside Pies has pulled out.

I CAN'T WAIT until J. Christopher's is open.

SwimAtl
Mar 30, 2007, 3:40 AM
removed - wrong link

SwimAtl
Mar 30, 2007, 4:04 AM
good point cokezero...will the glass curtainwall be gray?? or more the blue in the rendering?

reggie
Mar 30, 2007, 4:05 AM
But go to ANY modern city, especially ones that are as heralded on this site as Chicago, NYC, Boston, and lots of the condo buildings are inherently the same in the way they look. I think Atlanta needs buildings like these to fill in the gaps and provide a certain functionality. We have plenty of good looking office buildings to spice things up, but we need these monotonous (if you want to call them that) condo buildings to help things out. That being said, I think that rendering looks great, and if all 3 buildings are built, that area is going to be really cool.

Agree wholeheartedly with your viewpoint (pun!). Those four similar buildings in a cluster screams density and big city. Yummy.

reggie
Mar 30, 2007, 4:08 AM

Amusingly, your own post is somewhat whiney. ;)

STrek777
Mar 30, 2007, 7:58 PM

Has anyone else noticed that under the area "floor plans and views" the building looks very different than in the rendering? :shrug:

micropundit
Mar 30, 2007, 8:37 PM
UPDATE Last updated: March 30, 2007 06:33am

By Melissa Kress

ATLANTA-Marking its entrance into the metro area, the Related Group of Miami is penciling the start for CityPlace Buckhead, a nine-tower condominium project. Work will begin on the first phase of the project in late summer, according to a company spokeswoman.

All total CityPlace Buckhead will contain 3,800 units. The towers will rise on 16 acres at the intersection of Roxboro and East Place Ferry roads. Arquitectonica has been tapped to design the project.

One CityPlace, phase one of the development, will feature a 29-story tower with 230 condos and 11 townhomes. One-bedroom units will range from 935 sf to 990 sf, two-bedroom units from 1,290 sf to 1,400 sf and three-bedroom units up to 1,900 sf, according to Related. The company puts unit prices starting in the $400,000s to more than $1 million for penthouses and townhouse units. Related executives are targeting 2009 for completion of One CityPlace.

The company adds the second phase will be 2:CP and will be geared toward first-time homebuyers with condos starting in the $200,000s. The spokeswoman tells GlobeSt.com CityPlace will also feature resident-focused retail, with such possible services as a coffee shop and dry cleaner.She adds there is no project timeline or estimated development cost. GlobeSt.com previously reported that local general contractors estimated the hard construction costs could be in the $250-million to $300-million range.

The Atlanta City Council approved rezoning for the development in September. At that time, Jorge M. Perez, president of Related, said in a statement, “This means that we can move forward with our vision for Atlanta. With the twin forces of rapid population growth and increased demand for in-town living in Atlanta, we are confident that there is a strong market of people who will want to call our condominiums home.”

reggie
Mar 31, 2007, 1:42 AM
Wish we could've had #5

Yes, that NASCAR building is far superior to the WOC. Having I.M. Pei involved, whether he actually designed it or not, seems to have made a difference. It's very Pei-ish.

ATLBlaxican
Mar 31, 2007, 6:53 AM
:previous: I don't like it, although ours wan't that impressive either!

Andrea
Mar 31, 2007, 3:24 PM
Yes, that NASCAR building is far superior to the WOC. Having I.M. Pei involved, whether he actually designed it or not, seems to have made a difference. It's very Pei-ish.

I'm still baffled that NASCAR put its museum in Charlotte. Stock car racing's roots are much more closely associated with Atlanta, not to mention the fact that they'd get a lot more visitors here.

Mayfd24
Mar 31, 2007, 4:11 PM
^Charlotte deserves it!!

Regardless of Georgia's legal issues it had! You can't compare the two in terms of relation to the sport! Charlotte takes the cake, having over 70 percent combined employment of all three major series within the area! And, even though it works for other sports, having it right next to Lowe's Motor Speedway is a huge plus!! The International Motor Sports Hall of Fame sits adjacent to Talladega Superspeedway and gives tours of the speedway. I personally wish it were in Atlanta... I dont like some of the stats that Charlotte used to lure it, saying that it was located in a 500 mile radius of half the total population in the US!!! That doesn't mean shit to a city who has the most-used airport in the world, and has much more interstate!!

Andrea
Mar 31, 2007, 4:46 PM
^Charlotte deserves it!!

Regardless of Georgia's legal issues it had! You can't compare the two in terms of relation to the sport! Charlotte takes the cake, ...

Oh, I would beg to differ. We're talking about a museum, and stock car racing's traditional roots are in Atlanta, not Charlotte.

Mayfd24
Mar 31, 2007, 6:42 PM
^ :hmmm:

Traditional roots?? Explain... Atlanta played a small role as far as what began in Daytona Beach. Trust me. Charlotte alone, not including Winston-Salem, Wilkes County (moonshine capital), and Rockingham, has the leverage. See for yourself (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASCAR#Early_stock_car_racing)

Andrea
Mar 31, 2007, 7:33 PM
Whoever wrote that must have been from North Carolina. Atlanta was known as the Indianapolis of the South in the old days, and Lakewood was the largest track in the South. Check out Neal Thompson's detailed book, Driving With The Devil (http://www.amazon.com/Driving-Devil-Southern-Moonshine-Detroit/dp/1400082250), to learn about how stock car racing got its start here. Red Vogt's garage was right down on Spring Street, and Raymond Parks' headquarters were over on Northside Drive at Hemphill. The top drivers all hailed from around these parts.

In the early days when you heard stock car racing you thought of Atlanta.

From the NASCAR website:

And as great of an example as (Junior) Johnson is as a bridge from bootlegging to NASCAR racing, he may not be as good an example as were the Fabulous Flock Brothers -- Bob, Fonty and Tim.

They were bootleggers. Actually their uncle Peachtree Williams was the bootlegger and the two older Flock boys -- Bob and Fonty -- were his drivers. They came from their home in Ft. Payne, Ala., to make moonshine runs in rural Georgia back during the prohibition era.

When they were not making runs they talked with other drivers about which car was the fastest. And that talk led to NASCAR ... if you follow the progression.

According to the story the drivers would find a pasture field somewhere and drive around in circles -- about a half mile circle -- until they had worn out a path in the grass. Then they would race.

The Flocks were among the instigators of this racing. And the racing grew by word of mouth as a small crowd got a little larger and larger until some entrepreneurial people started building race tracks. It is from those tracks that NASCAR grew.

The Flock family as a whole was a very interesting family. There were eight children born to Lee and Maudie Flock and many of them were colorful, to say the least.

Carl, the oldest boy, was a speedboat racer. Reo, one of the girls, was a wing-walking daredevil. She also was a stunt parachutist. Another sister, Ethel, was a race car driver with more than 100 races. She had one Grand National (the precursor of NASCAR's Winston Cup) start and finished 11th.

Then there was the trio of Flock boys that actually made it onto the NASCAR circuit -- Bob, Fonty and Tim.

Bob, the oldest, and Fonty got into racing first. They were competitors in the 'moonshine' races held in pastures in Georgia, which probably was the genesis of what is now NASCAR. They both drove those circuits in the years before NASCAR came along in 1949.

http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/headlines/cup/01/10/daytona.countdown.ga/index.html

Georgia played a big part in NASCAR's success, right from the start. Dawson County native Raymond Parks and Atlanta garage owner Louis "Red" Vogt had prominent roles in the formation of Bill France's new sanctioning body.

Parks, who owned cars driven by France in the '40s, provided financial assistance -- and was the owner for the 1949 Strictly Stock championship won by Red Byron. Vogt, who was Parks' chief mechanic and car designer, reportedly came up with the phrase "National Association for Stock Car Automobile Racing" during that famous 1947 meeting in France's Daytona Beach garage.

jcathens
Mar 31, 2007, 7:44 PM
I too, think its stupid that museum is getting built in Charlotte. It would have way more visitors in Atlanta or Daytona. The only time its going to reach its full potential is during the races. Atlanta and Daytona both have much higher tourist traffic, not to mention just more traffic in general. Charlotte must have really wanted it.
Isn't it being payed for completely by the tax payers?

sprtsluvr8
Mar 31, 2007, 10:10 PM
Not to belittle Charlotte being awarded the museum, but I can't stand NASCAR or any kind of auto racing. It's tied with golf as the slowest, most boring sport known to man. :) Give me the Final Four over the Redneck Mu-zeum any day...

Atlanta didn't need it really, though it would have been a big draw for some good 'ole county folk to visit Atlanta. A city is always glad to add another big name attraction to its tourism list, but Charlotte needed it more. Atlanta has so much already...

SAV
Mar 31, 2007, 10:22 PM
Whoever wrote that must have been from North Carolina. Atlanta was known as the Indianapolis of the South in the old days,

Oh please!!!!!!!!!! give me a break with the whole Atlanta being the so and so of the south. first its the New York of the South, then its the L.A. of the South, and now it is or use to be the Indianapolis of the South. I mean, Im always on Atlanta side but that "insert word here" of the South phrase is getting lame and redundant.

And please Let that NASCAR crap go. Its over. Charlotte won. I don't know anyone, who knows someone, who knows somebody else thats acually pissed about not getting the Museum.

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sprtsluvr8
Mar 31, 2007, 10:32 PM
I've never heard that one either, but I'm pretty sure Andrea isn't sitting there making it up. It sounds like she knows of what she types...why are people so quick to doubt what is posted here? I mean...if you don't have some factual information that disputes what someone posts, there really is no basis for for attempting to refute his/her statements.

SAV
Mar 31, 2007, 10:43 PM
I've never heard that one either, but I'm pretty sure Andrea isn't sitting there making it up. It sounds like she knows of what she types...why are people so quick to doubt what is posted here? I mean...if you don't have some factual information that disputes what someone posts, there really is no basis for for attempting to refute his/her statements.

Im not saying that she is wrong. I believe her. Im just tired of hearing "Atlanta is the so an so of the South" Its lame. And if I thought she was wrong I'm not about to do 3 hours of internet research and post a damn article just to prove someone on a forum wrong.......I have better things to do.

SteveD
Mar 31, 2007, 10:46 PM
Im not saying that she is wrong. I believe her. Im just tired of hearing "Atlanta is the so an so of the South" Its lame. And if I thought she was wrong I'm not about to do 3 hours of internet research and post a damn article just to prove someone on a forum wrong.......I have better things to do.

Sorry you're getting tired of hearing "Atlanta is the so and so of the South", but, Atlanta IS the so and so of the South. :cheers:

john3eblover
Mar 31, 2007, 11:55 PM
maybe you shouldn't be reading the "Atlanta Project Thread" if you don't like hearing stuff about Atlanta...

Andrea
Apr 1, 2007, 12:08 AM

Hey, I didn't make it up. This is a quote from NASCAR's own website:

"Lakewood Speedway, Atlanta. Originally built in 1915 as part of the Southeastern Fair, the one-mile dirt track hosted its first auto race in 1917 when a match race between Ralph DePalma and Barney Oldfield drew a crowd estimated at 15,000. Known as the Indianapolis of the South, Lakewood primarly hosted open-wheel Indy cars throughout the '20s and '30s, with crowds of up to 30,000."

Trae
Apr 1, 2007, 12:24 AM
I didn't know that about Atlanta (that it was that important to NASCAR).

Andrea
Apr 1, 2007, 2:01 AM
I didn't know that about Atlanta (that it was that important to NASCAR).

With our sleek skyscapers on Peachtree and our gigantic suburbs, it's easy to forget that not too long ago Atlanta was a hardworking Southern industrial town. It was built as much on textile mills, brickyards, factories, railroads and trucking as it was on commerce and mercantilism. People came here from the country in droves when the farms went broke in the 1920's and the Depression hit in the 30's. It would be a mistake to think that Atlanta was too polished or somehow "above" car racing. It was in our blood from the beginning.

SAV
Apr 1, 2007, 2:35 PM
maybe you shouldn't be reading the "Atlanta Project Thread" if you don't like hearing stuff about Atlanta...

Wow. I love how everyone is taking what I said out of context and making it seem like Im attacking Atlanta. Im rooting for Atlanta too.

Did I say I dont like to hear stuff about Atlanta, no. I enjoy hearing new projects about Atlanta. Thats probably why Im on this forum. What I said was the Atlanta is the whatever of the south phrases are getting lame. I mean, there is a thread on here about Atlanta being the King of the south. Just stop.

And Andrea I believe what you are saying is a fact. I was not doubting you or trying to be rude or anything like that.

sprtsluvr8
Apr 1, 2007, 3:10 PM
I wouldn't come out with the negative post next time if you don't want those kinds of responses to it. Using bold font, ending sentences with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, responding with words like "lame" "crap" and "give me a break" - these are interpreted to be negative and will usually result in at least one similar response. Maybe just try to type in a calm, less aggressive tone. :)

gttx
Apr 1, 2007, 3:17 PM
I'm officially done with this forum.

Trae
Apr 1, 2007, 3:34 PM
Well, if you want a friendly Atlanta site, where no one bashes Atlanta, and Atlanta is the centerpiece of the place, call my way. ;)

SAV
Apr 1, 2007, 3:45 PM
I wouldn't come out with the negative post next time if you don't want those kinds of responses to it. Using bold font, ending sentences with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, responding with words like "lame" "crap" and "give me a break" - these are interpreted to be negative and will usually result in at least one similar response. Maybe just try to type in a calm, less aggressive tone. :)

But thats what Im talking about. I never said anything negative about Atlanta. Yall act like I dissed Atlanta. The responces to my post were irrelevant.

And I wasn't regretting what I said. I was regretting that Andrea and others though I was calling her a liar when I wasn't at all.

And I thinks its better for me to type in bold and use words like crap and lame instead of cursing non-stop like I usually do. Either way, this is an internet forum. Not a board meeting.

:cheers: but all is well:cheers: Im still a cool bitch:cheers:

Andrea
Apr 1, 2007, 5:22 PM
But thats what Im talking about. I never said anything negative about Atlanta. Yall act like I dissed Atlanta. The responces to my post were irrelevant.

And I wasn't regretting what I said. I was regretting that Andrea and others though I was calling her a liar when I wasn't at all.

And I thinks its better for me to type in bold and use words like crap and lame instead of cursing non-stop like I usually do. Either way, this is an internet forum. Not a board meeting.

SAV, I didn't think you were calling me a liar and I wasn't offended in the least! I think you made a very valid point -- we Atlantans are probably just a little too thin-skinned as a result of our working class roots and always being regarded as second-class wannabes. We should learn to get over ourselves and just be what we are, for better or worse.

And yes, you are cool, but I wouldn't put the B word on the end.

gttx
Apr 2, 2007, 3:49 AM
A pretty good article about the new French American Brasserie at Allen Plaza:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2007/03/26/focus5.html?b=1174881600^1435858

They've finished the main entrance to the restaurant and it looks amazing. Definitely setting a new standard for in-town restaurants.

sprtsluvr8
Apr 2, 2007, 3:10 PM

I never accused you of bad-mouthing Atlanta...that wasn't the point. I was referring to the way you presented your earlier post, but apparently you aren't accepting of criticism. I could care less about your opinion of Atlanta because I wasn't promoting or defending it. In reading your posts I just thought you could use some communication advice.

akiatl261
Apr 2, 2007, 3:38 PM
A pretty good article about the new French American Brasserie at Allen Plaza:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2007/03/26/focus5.html?b=1174881600^1435858

They've finished the main entrance to the restaurant and it looks amazing. Definitely setting a new standard for in-town restaurants.

It looks very nice gttx. I cant wait to try FAB out. It will truely add a new dimension to downtown Dining. :)

Andrea
Apr 2, 2007, 8:08 PM
The good, the bad and the ugly of Atlanta parking garages:

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/saporta/stories/2007/04/01/0402metsaport.html

ThrashATL
Apr 3, 2007, 12:30 AM
This Roswell project is getting huge... Roswell will need to do something, Alpharetta will do it if not and Roswell will lose out entirely.

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/04/27/38/image_5238274.jpg

slinkster65
Apr 3, 2007, 4:41 AM
Please, no more people around me! I am a stones throw from Roswell...

It is a nice design, but I already have to deal with enough traffic.

mayhem
Apr 3, 2007, 4:52 AM
A project like this will lead the way to urbanizing the metro areas so that sitting in your car for 4 hours a day isn't your second occupation.

cokezero
Apr 3, 2007, 5:01 AM
Please, no more people around me! I am a stones throw from Roswell...

It is a nice design, but I already have to deal with enough traffic.

You should read a book titled "Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream" by Andres Duany, Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, and Jeff Speck.

cabasse
Apr 3, 2007, 5:22 AM
^hawgwash!

he got there first!

(one of those suburban "haters") ;)

actually, i definitely have to second what mayhem stated; won't that possible future marta extension run right through this?

Andrea
Apr 3, 2007, 11:34 AM
I could see plans like this Roswell development being the wave of the future in Atlanta. Instead of trying to create one big central city and complex transportation systems, maybe we will grow by just creating lots of smaller urban areas. That is, instead of trying to drag people to the city, bring the amenities of the city to the people.

That might work here since we are such a low density area and because 90+% of the population seems pretty well wedded to the burbs. Not only are the vast majority of the people located there, so are most of the jobs.

ThrashATL
Apr 3, 2007, 11:56 AM
I could see plans like this Roswell development being the wave of the future in Atlanta. Instead of trying to create one big central city and complex transportation systems, maybe we will grow by just creating lots of smaller urban areas. That is, instead of trying to drag people to the city, bring the amenities of the city to the people.

That might work here since we are such a low density area and because 90+% of the population seems pretty well wedded to the burbs. Not only are the vast majority of the people located there, so are most of the jobs.

I'm not wedded to the burbs, I'm wedded to our .75 acre lot and cheap taxes...

RobMidtowner
Apr 3, 2007, 1:25 PM
...won't that possible future marta extension run right through this?

That is of course if MARTA's dedicated 1% sales tax gets approved and even then is still several years off from being completed with no guarantee that a station will be located near this development. I'm just trying to think realistically about this project before I develop an opinion.

daharris80
Apr 3, 2007, 1:30 PM
This Roswell project is getting huge... Roswell will need to do something, Alpharetta will do it if not and Roswell will lose out entirely.

I think Alpharetta already beat you to it. Although it is smaller, they have an urbanization plan (http://www.alpharetta.ga.us/index.php?p=320&t=Alpharetta%20City%20Center):

http://www.alpharetta.ga.us/files/images/City%20Center/city-center-Main_medium.jpg

Wave of the future? Isn't that what has been happening for the past 30 years. That's exactly what the Perimeter Center and the Cumberland Districts are. For this to occur, however, suburban sprawl must have already occurred. Instead of seeing these as new developments (along with some plans in Gwinnett County) I see them as natural extensions of sprawl. I'm not saying sprawl is good, only that when you have a suburban county or two getting close to 1 million residents, its hard not to look at the area and see future urban development.

Andrea
Apr 3, 2007, 1:40 PM
Wave of the future? Isn't that what has been happening for the past 30 years. That's exactly what the Perimeter Center and the Cumberland Districts are. For this to occur, however, suburban sprawl must have already occurred. Instead of seeing these as new developments (along with some plans in Gwinnett County) I see them as natural extensions of sprawl. I'm not saying sprawl is good, only that when you have a suburban county or two getting close to 1 million residents, its hard not to look at the area and see future urban development.

Well, yeah, but I'm thinking smaller scale than gigantic edge cities like Perimeter and Cumberland. Something more along the lines of Atlantic Station and this Roswell development, which can be "fitted into" an already developed suburban area. I like what they're doing in Smyrna, for instance, and of course Decatur is arguably the most livable part of Atlanta.

Terminus
Apr 3, 2007, 1:42 PM
A suburba/exurban city center that is really urbanizing TODAY is Downtown Woodstock. It's absolutely amazing what is happening there.

cokezero
Apr 3, 2007, 1:54 PM
A suburba/exurban city center that is really urbanizing TODAY is Downtown Woodstock. It's absolutely amazing what is happening there.

I 100% fully agree with him there. Check out "Downtown Woodstock" on the website of a builder/developer named Hedgewood Homes to get a general idea of what is going on there. Also check out the DRI Reviews for "Breezy Hill Farm" and "Woodstock West" on the ARC's website.

the local
Apr 3, 2007, 11:04 PM
How do people feel about edge cities in general? (Perimeter Center, I-75 and I-285, etc) Do you think that they add more to the city as a whole than they take away from the center? I can look at this in two ways, one way is that the removal of density from the center makes it harder for a strong urban environment to exist in the urban core. The second way it to think of an edge city in the same way that Jane Jacobs speaks of urban amenities such as parks and cultural venues, that their density should be spread around to strengthen the whole. While this is a tangent from her concept, in the case of Atlanta, where edge cities are common would this be considered valid?

ATLBlaxican
Apr 4, 2007, 3:37 AM
How much taller is Aqua than Plaza Midtown, because from the highway Aqua appears to tower over PM. Is the elevation really that dramatic or is it just that much taller???

dante2308
Apr 4, 2007, 4:33 AM
Huge Roswell project faces hurdles

By PAUL KAPLAN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 04/01/07

Charlie Brown retired three years ago at 65 and installed his son Scott as head of his development company in Atlanta.

The time off didn't last long. Brown got a call 2 1/2 years ago from an outfit that owns 107 prized acres along Ga. 400 at the Chattahoochee River. It wanted to take down an old apartment complex in Roswell and do something big with the land.

Brown knows big — he was a driving force behind Atlantic Station in Midtown Atlanta — and the plan he came up with was the $2.1 billion Roswell East mixed-use development. It would be the biggest project ever built on the Northside.

"I've come back off the bench," Brown said.

But not everyone in the crowd is cheering. Roswell East has touched off a communitywide debate over what sort of development is appropriate in the suburbs, and at what level of density.

Brown wants to build a mini-city anchored by 19 mid-rise and high-rise buildings. That density is needed to incorporate the level of green space and open space that suburbanites demand, Brown says.

Roswell has no high-rises, however, and four members of the six-member City Council have expressed deep reservations about the level of density Brown is proposing. If those four vote no, Brown's plan is dead.

One conspiracy theory making the rounds is that Brown and Mayor Jere Wood will delay the City Council's consideration of the mixed-use community until after the November elections.

Two of the council members who have taken shots at Roswell East are up for re-election. If voters replace them with new council members who support Brown's project, Wood will have enough support to push it through — or so the thinking goes.

Is Brown planning such a delay?

"Absolutely not," he said. "We want the present council to make a decision on this. We're talking about May or June."

Whenever Brown brings his project forward, it will be a defining moment for the city and its leaders.

"This year is a crossroads, and people are going to have to decide which way they want to go," said City Councilman David Tolleson. "It's being exacerbated by the fact that it's an election year. That's really what's driving the rhetoric. Where we will go as a city will be decided in November."

Brown said that as the community gets all the facts about his project, the support will grow, and the elected leaders will follow.

Brown needs at least a 3-3 split on the council to allow Mayor Wood — one of the project's strongest supporters — to break the tie and approve Roswell East.

But Wood said it would be a mistake to assume Brown has his vote. Wood is a big proponent of mixed-use development, and he has called Brown a "visionary," but Wood also is a savvy politician.

He loves being mayor, and he won't risk it all if he senses that the community does not support the project.

"Charlie has my support of the project, but he doesn't have my vote yet," Wood said. "That's conditioned on community support, and I don't know where they stand yet."

Wood also says he won't vote for Roswell East unless the project is built in conjunction with a major overhaul of the interchange at Ga. 400 and Holcomb Bridge Road.

That will cost millions and is not on the Atlanta Regional Commission's list of priority road projects.

Brown said he hopes to get the mayor's and council's support for his project when there's an "indication" the road money could be coming.

That's not good enough, Wood said. "I can't support his project unless I have a commitment for the money. That doesn't mean money in the bank, but I need a funding mechanism. A possibility is not going to get it."

Wood is trying to get the money from every source possible — the city, the state and the federal government.

But he has no illusions about getting the project done completely with outside funding. He said Roswell may have to help pay for it, and Brown's team could have to pony up, too.

Brown thinks Wood will get the road money. "It's possible because the lead is being taken by the local government, and because it affects the region," Brown said, ticking off six counties whose residents use the intersecting roads — Fulton, Gwinnett, Cobb, Cherokee, Forsyth and DeKalb.

"That interchange serves more people with less capacity than any road around," Brown said.

Wood chuckled when he heard that Brown wants to bring his plan to the City Council within a month or two. He doesn't think it's remotely possible before late summer, and maybe not until much further out than that.

"Right now I don't have a plan that I know will work, and I don't have funding," Wood said. "I'm confident we can find the funding if we have the political will. But it may take years, and if it takes years, we may lose the project."

Brown shrugs at the thought of Roswell East going down the tubes — and himself going back into retirement.

"Win some, lose some," he said. "That's the way it is."

austin356
Apr 4, 2007, 5:22 AM
How much would it cost, minus ROW, for a interchange to be added on the southside at riverside rd?

gttx
Apr 4, 2007, 12:26 PM
How much taller is Aqua than Plaza Midtown, because from the highway Aqua appears to tower over PM. Is the elevation really that dramatic or is it just that much taller???

6 floors, plus it's up a little bit higher.

RobMidtowner
Apr 4, 2007, 12:47 PM
How much would it cost, minus ROW, for a interchange to be added on the southside at riverside rd?

There can't be an interchange there because it's too close to the Holcomb Bridge Road Interchange (~0.9 miles). This is GDOT's policy (corresponding to federal guidelines) on interchange spacing:

a. Minimum spacing of one (1) mile in urban areas with an average spacing of two (2) miles, or

b. Minimum spacing of two (2) miles in suburban areas with an average spacing of four (4) miles, or

c. Minimum spacing of two (2) miles in rural areas with an average spacing of eight (8) miles.

ThrashATL
Apr 4, 2007, 12:52 PM
There can't be an interchange there because it's too close to the Holcomb Bridge Road Interchange (~0.9 miles). This is GDOT's policy (corresponding to federal guidelines) on interchange spacing:

a. Minimum spacing of one (1) mile in urban areas with an average spacing of two (2) miles, or

b. Minimum spacing of two (2) miles in suburban areas with an average spacing of four (4) miles, or

c. Minimum spacing of two (2) miles in rural areas with an average spacing of eight (8) miles.

They could do a Steve Reynolds Blvd style interchange there, northbound offramp, southbound onramp to 400, without impeding Holcomb Br.

RobMidtowner
Apr 4, 2007, 1:02 PM
They could do a Steve Reynolds Blvd style interchange there, northbound offramp, southbound onramp to 400, without impeding Holcomb Br.

Doubt it would happen since it clearly violates standards. Btw, a "Steve Reynolds Blvd style" interchange is called a half-diamond interchange. ;)

cactuspunk
Apr 4, 2007, 1:37 PM
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner

Doubt it would happen since it clearly violates standards. Btw, a "Steve Reynolds Blvd style" interchange is called a half-diamond interchange. ;)

Now you got me curious about this minimum spacing requirement. What about Howell Mill Rd & Northside Dr and all the interchanges on the downtown connector?

RobMidtowner
Apr 4, 2007, 2:13 PM
Now you got me curious about this minimum spacing requirement. What about Howell Mill Rd & Northside Dr and all the interchanges on the downtown connector?

I'm not sure when this policy was adopted but it's clearly violated in the places you mention. Now you know why traffic is so bad there. ;)

gttx
Apr 4, 2007, 2:19 PM
For those of you who have been upset by the dearth of project announcements in the past few weeks, you may want to check this out:

http://midtownatlanta.org/net/content/page.aspx?listid=20941&s=50234.0.53.35

These are the minutes from the Midtown Neighbor's Association's monthly land use meeting (which was held on March 26). Item B in the minutes is particularly interesting...

Did anyone actually go to this meeting? I'd like to know if anyone saw a rendering...

scania
Apr 4, 2007, 2:44 PM
6 floors, plus it's up a little bit higher.

No. Aqua is 25 floors and it doesn't have a 13th floor. PM is 20 floors and it does have a 13th floor. Aqua is on a higher eleavtion.

joey
Apr 4, 2007, 2:48 PM
I'm not sure when this policy was adopted but it's clearly violated in the places you mention. Now you know why traffic is so bad there. ;)

With the use of collector-distributor roads, I'm pretty sure interchanges can be built closer together.

RobMidtowner
Apr 4, 2007, 3:01 PM
With the use of collector-distributor roads, I'm pretty sure interchanges can be built closer together.

Yes, you're correct. Here's what the policy says about that:

"In urban or suburban areas with high-density development and/or complex transportation features, use of grade-separated ramps or collector-distributor roads may be considered to manage safety and other operational difficulties associated with proposed interchanges not meeting the minimum spacing guideline."

Although I still think the Roswell development will have opposition since an interchange at Riverside Road is not part of ARC's RTP.

smArTaLlone
Apr 4, 2007, 3:09 PM
For those of you who have been upset by the dearth of project announcements in the past few weeks, you may want to check this out:

http://midtownatlanta.org/net/content/page.aspx?listid=20941&s=50234.0.53.35

These are the minutes from the Midtown Neighbor's Association's monthly land use meeting (which was held on March 26). Item B in the minutes is particularly interesting...

Did anyone actually go to this meeting? I'd like to know if anyone saw a rendering...

54 floors? That going to be a really slim, tall tower. Nice!