View Full Version : Hilton Hotel, Des Moines

Des Moineser
Mar 26, 2007, 8:12 PM
Official sources: KCCI-TV8, Des Moines Register, Des Moines Business Record
Unofficial sources:

Building Name: Downtown Hilton
Native Name: Hilton
Other Names:
Address: Corner of Fifth Ave. and Crocker St. (Possibly 439 Crocker)
City: Des Moines
Postal Code: 50309
State/Province: Iowa
Official Building Website URL: None at this time
Skyscrapers.com (Emporis.info) URL: None
Architect: Mortensen
Interesting Facts/Records (in own words): Convention hotel to be attached to the Iowa Events Center (IEC)

Heights--

PLEASE PROVIDE SOURCES FOR HEIGHTS, OTHERWISE WE WILL ASSUME THEY ARE ESTIMATES.
- antenna:
- spire:
- roof: ~220ft
- top floor:
- other heights:

Current Building Status (Built, Proposed, Canceled, Destroyed, etc...): Proposed

Construction Dates--
- started: 2008 or 2009
- finished:
- destroyed:

Above ground floors: 16
Below ground floors: Possibly 1-2 parking
Floor-to-floor height:
Gross Floor area:
Elevator count: ~4
Unit count: 425

Structure Type(s): Highrise
Building Use(s): Hotel
Building Style(s): Modern
Building Materials: Concrete, Brick
------------------------

LMich
Mar 26, 2007, 11:37 PM
Do you have a link to a news article or news story for this? Those sources aren't detailed enough. We need at least a date.

Des Moineser
Mar 28, 2007, 1:44 AM
Hilton hotel recommended for Events Center (March 9th)

A Minnesota-based developer's plans to build a 425-room Hilton hotel has been approved by a selection committee appointed to evaluate three proposals for a hotel near the Iowa Events Center.

This morning, the selection committee recommended that the Polk County Board of Supervisors proceed with negotiations with Mortensen Development Inc. for a 16-story, 294,000-square-foot hotel, which would be built north of Veterans Memorial Auditorium and south of Crocker Street. The estimated cost for the hotel is $92 million. Mortensen's plans call for part of the cost to be paid by some form of subsidy.

-Des Moines Business Record

Link to full story: http://www.businessrecord.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=3502&SectionID=51&SubSectionID=89&S=1

-------------------------------

Panel Announces Hotel Developer
Group Choose Minneapolis Company For Its Flexibility

POSTED: 12:16 pm CST March 9, 2007
UPDATED: 12:42 pm CST March 9, 2007

Email This Story | Print This Story

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Members of the events center hotel search committee announced Friday morning that the Mortensen Walsh Bishop Group out of Minneapolis won them over.

Plans call for a hotel to be built on the north side of Veterans Auditorium in the area that is now set aside for special parking. The hotel would face south toward the main entrance to the venue.

Committee members heard presentations on Thursday from three developers.

NewsChannel 8 found out that the hotel will likely be a Hilton. The recommended proposal calls for 16 stories filled with 425 rooms, a restaurant, a bar and event rooms. The total cost is estimated to be $92 million.

Global Spectrum, the company that runs the Iowa Events Center, would get first dibs on 85 percent of the rooms for a couple of years after the hotel's opening. That was a big draw for the committee.

A spokesman said they were also impressed with the developer's flexibility.

Greg Edwards of the Convention and Visitors Bureau said that the panel asked the candidates what would they do if the county decided to add on to the plan and he said the Minneapolis-based company replied they it would work with them regardless.

There are still questions to be answered such as how much, if any, public money will have to go into the project.

The hotel's impact on earnings at Hy-Vee Hall and the Convention Center complex will also have to be examined. Organizers said it could hurt them.

The Polk County Board of Supervisors will meet on Monday to talk about the project in greater detail

KCCI-TV8

The date is most likely 2009, there are still financing issues to clear up first.

LMich
Mar 28, 2007, 1:58 AM
Can you divide this a bit better? I'm trying to figure out where one begins and the other ends. What is the date of the Business Reigster story? Please provide some links, if you can.

Really, I'm not trying to be difficult, but look at how others post their sources.

Des Moineser
Mar 29, 2007, 2:25 AM
LMich, the Business Record story is from March 9th. Besides, the KCCI story says March 9th too, soo... Isn't that enough? I've posted sources. They haven't announced a ground-breaking date yet because financing and some other things aren't finished. That's why it's proposed. This is as detailed as I can be because these are the details that have been announced.

What more do you want me to do to prove this is proposed? Why would I lie?
Heck,

http://www.pbase.com/image/75431891.jpg

There's a rendering.

What more do you want?

LMich
Mar 29, 2007, 2:51 AM
I want links to these articles. It has nothing to do about believing or not believing you. This is policy, and it shouldn't be that difficult, as everyone else manages to get by with it.

I'll add it, but if the links are available, we ask that you include them.

Des Moineser
Apr 14, 2007, 3:09 AM
Links were not available to any specific news site. They were instead pulled down onto Development sites. I'm sorry if I got frustrated, it's just that I posted it a little late to get you actual article links.