PDA

View Full Version : Historical Winnipeg discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

myuglyface
May 10, 2010, 5:48 PM
[QUOTE=1ajs;4831464]agg i need a proper scanner
What is that Something College to the left?

1ajs
May 10, 2010, 5:59 PM
think it says press

flatlander
May 10, 2010, 6:36 PM
Is that the old fire hall that sat where Old Market Square now exists?

1ajs
May 10, 2010, 6:48 PM
no were seeing a building at king and william the firehall was at banatyn and king

Andy6
May 11, 2010, 2:07 AM
think it says press

Probably Success College, which was a commercial college (where you'd go to learn to be a secretary, etc.) and later became Success-Angus Commercial College (wasn't that Gary Filmon's family business, come to think of it?)

1ajs
May 11, 2010, 7:07 AM
interesting

i need to find my magninfying glass and see what the sign on the right says

Xtoval
May 13, 2010, 6:23 AM
As much as I am repulsed by the old city hall (perhaps a curiosity that would have attracted tourists to Minnedosa or Winkler) I agree that the new city hall, despite Andy's protestations of its modernist cred, is a cold, banal, possibly carcinogenic building. But let's not get nostalgic about a building that was never much to begin with.

1ajs
May 13, 2010, 1:40 PM
the court yard is wat makes ou city hall and the clock it once had hopfully they fix it

rgalston
May 15, 2010, 5:42 AM
Here's a photo looking down Rupert Street to the Hydro plant, 1962. The larger portion of the Smart-Bag Co. building can be seen in the left background.

These two ancient little holdouts probably didn't survive too far after this photo was taken. I'd guess they date back to the 1870s, or built as temporary dwellings during the boom of the early '80s. In the '00s they would have housed a newly-arrived Anglo/Scot laborer and his family, and in the '10s and '20s a Chinese laundry.

http://wbi.lib.umanitoba.ca/WinnipegBuildings/wb-images/large/WHSPSSD-50b.jpg

Winnipegger@Heart
May 15, 2010, 12:52 PM
Great find--thanks for sharing...I never, ever get tired of seeing pics of our city from back in the day.

1ajs
May 24, 2010, 6:48 PM
logan and main 1950
http://i.ebayimg.com/11/%21Btq2Dg%21CGk%7E$%28KGrHqYH-DIEvy1BY6,CBL88-c%21+jQ%7E%7E_3.JPG

1ajs
Jun 24, 2010, 3:36 AM
diging around nfb found a film called jews of winnipeg from 1973 has some footage of the old imigration hall next to cpr inside it looks like it wa vacant for quite some time
http://www.nfb.ca/film/jews_of_winnipeg/ also theres obviously lots of other historic info in this film from 1973

bryanscott
Jun 24, 2010, 3:09 PM
On the the subject of NFB films, I caught "The McIntyre Block" (1977) at Cinemateque a few weeks ago. Brilliant and quirky film about the quirky tenants of the McIntyre Block in its last days of operation. I didn't even know it existed, but I'm very glad I saw it.

rgalston
Jun 25, 2010, 1:41 AM
I posted a number of color photos (http://riseandsprawl.blogspot.com/2010/06/winnipeg-in-color-1962.html) I found at the U of M's Winnipeg Building Index (http://wbi.lib.umanitoba.ca/WinnipegBuildings/). They are all from 1962. Someone, I'm guessing from the Faculty of Architecture, was smart to document old buildings and places in the city that were quickly disappearing by '62 (ie, the old Rosh Pina Synagogue at Martha and Henry Ave.

Some of these photos would have been posted on this thread, but most wouldn't have.

Here is Academy Road, looking west from Waterloo St.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Fta5SQvT4nc/TCOFdb24ztI/AAAAAAAAA3w/7-Zoq7tg8x8/s1600/BOTNC-50%5B1%5D.jpg

eman
Jun 25, 2010, 2:14 AM
Is that a Safeway store on Academy where 7/11 and Domo are now?

Kinguni
Jun 25, 2010, 2:44 AM
Is that a Safeway store on Academy where 7/11 and Domo are now?

Yes it is.

trueviking
Jun 25, 2010, 3:20 AM
man, i live right there....i wish that safeway was still there...it would do really well there today.....i wonder if it was in the same building that the sev is in now....

rgalston
Jun 25, 2010, 3:27 AM
man, i live right there....i wish that safeway was still there...it would do really well there today.....i wonder if it was in the same building that the sev is in now....

I think Safeway (in Winnipeg at least) followed different generations of store templates. First there were the one-storey place, up to the sidewalk and with a sort of mansard roof (a few of those are still around). Then in the 1950s they went to a bigger store with a big parking lot. I think the photo shows a building up to the sidewalk.

On a side note, I think the polling company Angus (now Ipsos) Reid started out in the upstairs of that 7-11.

Winnipegger@Heart
Jun 26, 2010, 3:04 PM
Awnings make streets, and storefronts more inviting...I also miss the neon signs that used to adorn so many streetscapes.

Andy6
Jun 26, 2010, 3:54 PM
Also all the words that you see. It feels like the buildings are in conversation. It's mentally stimulating to look down the street. Even more so, because it's not the same chain-store signs you see in every city in the world.

drew
Jun 26, 2010, 3:59 PM
Even more so, because it's not the same chain-store signs you see in every city in the world.

^Shell, Safeway, TD bank, locally common Academy Florist...

Seems common enough to me

Andy6
Jun 26, 2010, 4:37 PM
That one shot happens to emphasize some non-local businesses, but even there the designs of the buildings and designs of the signs weren't nearly as standardized and bland as they are now. Compare ten main streets with a mix of local stores and TD Banks, Shells and Safeways in the 1950s with ten Power Centres or mall interiors today ... I would think that the 1950s streets would feel like ten different experiences while the Power Centres and malls would basically be the same thing over and over. By the time you saw the last one you'd be completely bored. It would be like torture. That's one reason why we often feel so disengaged from our surroundings today. There is nothing to catch our attention and draw us out of ourselves.

drew
Jun 26, 2010, 8:03 PM
^ I agree. This picture is probably rare in the sense that if anything, that particular stretch of Academy has LESS chain stores now than it did 50 years ago (ignoring 7-11 and Domo).

myuglyface
Jun 28, 2010, 4:00 AM
Awnings make streets, and storefronts more inviting...I also miss the neon signs that used to adorn so many streetscapes.

And British cars are another thing missing from these photos (for better or worse).

myuglyface
Jun 28, 2010, 4:04 AM
I have noticed some postings here include only a part of the page of a Winnipeg Free Press archive pdf. I can't figure out how to isolate a specific content on the page that is of interest. Any helpful tips?

Andy6
Jun 28, 2010, 4:15 AM
I have noticed some postings here include only a part of the page of a Winnipeg Free Press archive pdf. I can't figure out how to isolate a specific content on the page that is of interest. Any helpful tips?

Probably by saving the page on the hard drive and then editing it (cropping it) with Photoshop.

1ajs
Jun 28, 2010, 4:39 AM
taking screen shots of said pdf's and editing them in paint

Riverman
Jun 28, 2010, 2:04 PM
There was a Safeway store on north Main where the McDonalds is now. My folks called it the little Safeway and the one on Polson and Main the big Safeway.

Archiseek
Jun 29, 2010, 8:37 PM
Anyone know where this was and if it were even built?

1900 – National Trust Company, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Architect: George Gouinlock

http://two.archiseek.com/wp-content/gallery/canada-mb/0005.jpg

Andy6
Jun 30, 2010, 4:01 AM
Yes, it stood on the NE corner of Main and Pioneer (then known as Notre Dame Avenue East). It was realized in exactly the form depicted. As far as I know it lasted until around 1970 when it came down to make way for the Bestlands Building, which is now the smaller MTS building.

Archiseek
Jun 30, 2010, 1:05 PM
thanks andy

rgalston
Jul 1, 2010, 11:41 AM
The National Trust Building can be seen in the centre of this photo from the General Strike found here. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/streetcar356/4750583199/in/photostream/)

Xtoval
Jul 2, 2010, 6:01 PM
The gratifying thing about the Academy Road photo is how well that particular strip has fared over the years. Only further west have they built a small strip mall recessed from the street for parking. Locally-owned businesses still predominate. Obviously it helps to run through one of the city's wealthiest neighbourhoods.

1ajs
Jul 4, 2010, 4:33 PM
wow... theres some realy good footage here from the 20's 30's 50's
D2pl3tXVdVc

towards the end is some stufd from when the auditorium (provincial arhives building) was new and some realy nice clips of main st including north of the subway.

nice clip of the suds showing a hansome red brick building where theres a surface lot today (7:56 mark)

Andy6
Jul 4, 2010, 6:42 PM
Sure wish they could tear 80% of that down and replace it with a couple of lame-looking 30-storey prefab skyscrapers and 300 acres of parking lots.

Seriously ... that's a spectacular find, ajs! It's like a Google streetview of 1925. Interesting description of the route of the old #1 highway at the end. I couldn't make out the date on any of those licence plates. You can certainly see why the papers in those days were full of stories of pedestrians being injured and killed.

ScrappyPeg
Jul 4, 2010, 7:24 PM
You should also wonder why anyone enjoyed this city back in the day, without the drunks wandering about Main and Portage.

What is with that driver in the video, he seems to pass anyone in front of him - often do so in the oncoming traffic lane!

Andy6
Jul 4, 2010, 7:32 PM
Streets were still more like public squares then, with cars just making their way through whatever else was there in whatever way seemed best. For all of human history until about 15 years before that film was made, streets had existed for purposes that did not in any way involve motorized vehicles. That didn't change overnight. It was only a bit later that they became regulated into automobile-only throughways, with people, animals, carts etc. restricted to the sidewalks.

RTD
Jul 4, 2010, 8:27 PM
Sure wish they could tear 80% of that down and replace it with a couple of lame-looking 30-storey prefab skyscrapers and 300 acres of parking lots.

I'm sure if you had your way, you would tear down every building in Winnipeg post 1930, re-erect turn-of-the-century architecture, and actually try and shrink Winnipeg's population back down to 100,000..........or less. Seriously :rolleyes:

Andy6
Jul 4, 2010, 8:38 PM
I'm sure if you had your way, you would tear down every building in Winnipeg post 1930, re-erect turn-of-the-century architecture, and actually try and shrink Winnipeg's population back down to 100,000..........or less. Seriously :rolleyes:

Yes, the bottom 500,000 would be given one-way bus fare to Calgary.

RTD
Jul 4, 2010, 11:31 PM
Yes, the bottom 500,000 would be given one-way bus fare to Calgary.

Look, I really do appreciate your enthusiasm as well as others, for the past and how passtionate you are about it, but sometimes your "stuck in the past, lets keep Winnipeg small and in the 1910s" mentality is a real downer, pissing all over any new development in Winnipeg, saying how it's destroying the city. For crying out loud, come on buddy! Winnipeg is growing, thriving and becoming more competitive with larger centres, again! I love The Exchange and all the wonderful buildings showing off our past to all, but I also am excited for the future and what new developments are coming our way, and we have lots on the go now. Winnipeg is growing bigger and stronger all at a decent rate, and I love it!!!

rgalston
Jul 5, 2010, 4:08 AM
Look, I really do appreciate your enthusiasm as well as others, for the past and how passtionate you are about it, but sometimes your "stuck in the past, lets keep Winnipeg small and in the 1910s" mentality is a real downer, pissing all over any new development in Winnipeg, saying how it's destroying the city. For crying out loud, come on buddy! Winnipeg is growing, thriving and becoming more competitive with larger centres, again! I love The Exchange and all the wonderful buildings showing off our past to all, but I also am excited for the future and what new developments are coming our way, and we have lots on the go now. Winnipeg is growing bigger and stronger all at a decent rate, and I love it!!!

No one forces you to view the "Historical Winnipeg discussion" thread.

drew
Jul 5, 2010, 4:25 AM
That video is awesome 1ajs!

The guy driving the car in the beginning was a maniac, but who knew people were taping movies from moving cars in Winnipeg back in the day? Crazy.

It's certainly cool to see what Winnipeg was when it simply a two street town. Two street or not, it certainly seemed a lot more urban. The shots down Main made me want to cry - especially the old Royal Alex looming in the distance...

Archiseek
Jul 5, 2010, 4:13 PM
The National Trust Building can be seen in the centre of this photo from the General Strike found here. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/streetcar356/4750583199/in/photostream/)

ahhhh yes,..... thanks rob

myuglyface
Jul 5, 2010, 5:39 PM
wow... theres some realy good footage here from the 20's 30's 50's
D2pl3tXVdVc

nice clip of the suds showing a hansome red brick building where theres a surface lot today (7:56 mark)

Good stuff. I went to a showing a few years ago at the Archive's Building of what I think is this whole film (the part at the end of these clips) on a fairly big screen. They had just either found it/restored it. Of course it is not the Number 1 Transcanada of today. As I recall it went through Whitemouth?

myuglyface
Jul 5, 2010, 5:43 PM
taking screen shots of said pdf's and editing them in paint

Thanks to all, I think I am getting the hang of it just when my annual subscription to the Free Press archives ran out last week. I am pretty sure I will reup.

Andy6
Jul 5, 2010, 11:13 PM
Good stuff. I went to a showing a few years ago at the Archive's Building of what I think is this whole film (the part at the end of these clips) on a fairly big screen. They had just either found it/restored it. Of course it is not the Number 1 Transcanada of today. As I recall it went through Whitemouth?

Most of it is what is now Highway 44.

Bdog
Jul 6, 2010, 6:20 AM
That video is awesome 1ajs!

The guy driving the car in the beginning was a maniac, but who knew people were taping movies from moving cars in Winnipeg back in the day? Crazy.

It's certainly cool to see what Winnipeg was when it simply a two street town. Two street or not, it certainly seemed a lot more urban. The shots down Main made me want to cry - especially the old Royal Alex looming in the distance...

Walking in the Winnipeg of yesteryear was definitely some Frogger shit...

myuglyface
Jul 6, 2010, 4:23 PM
Streets were still more like public squares then, with cars just making their way through whatever else was there in whatever way seemed best. For all of human history until about 15 years before that film was made, streets had existed for purposes that did not in any way involve motorized vehicles. That didn't change overnight. It was only a bit later that they became regulated into automobile-only throughways, with people, animals, carts etc. restricted to the sidewalks.

"These horseless carriages are merely a fad blown about by the winds of human foolishness. I predict they will vanish in less than a year's time." - Archibald MacIvor; Harnessmaker - The Great West Saddlery Company

Biff
Jul 6, 2010, 6:09 PM
"These horseless carriages are merely a fad blown about by the winds of human foolishness. I predict they will vanish in less than a year's time." - Archibald MacIvor; Harnessmaker - The Great West Saddlery Company

That's how i feel about the Internet.

h0twired
Jul 6, 2010, 6:45 PM
That's how i feel about the Internet.

And in 100 years will look just as foolish.

Only The Lonely..
Jul 7, 2010, 2:15 AM
Myself, i'm hoping in 40 years time to walk in on a discussion and hear somebody say "Hey, remember phones?"

Biff
Jul 7, 2010, 1:19 PM
And in 100 years will look just as foolish.

It was a joke hOtwired.

1ajs
Jul 10, 2010, 5:20 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/21/%21Btfm,5gEGk%7E$%28KGrHqMOKjkEvOYsWMqGBL8L2myd3g%7E%7E_3.JPG

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/fxk19/k37116b.jpg

j.online
Jul 11, 2010, 5:15 PM
great photos!
do you know when that market square picture was taken? i'm curious when the market building was converted to civic offices. and the leland hotel's top 3 floors had already burnt down.

i also never quite realized that the old city hall was rivaling the royal bank tower in height. that must've been impressive to walk past everyday...

1ajs
Jul 11, 2010, 5:20 PM
no idea when it was shot will probly know when that post card gets here

Winnipegger@Heart
Jul 11, 2010, 9:16 PM
If only the original city hall, and market were still standing...although I had no idea the modernization it underwent, losing most of its grandeur...

http://uniter.ca/images/articles/64-s-4-comments-A-Lost_Winnipeg-Market_Square-credit-photographer_unknown.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Fta5SQvT4nc/R0z1U0OtEiI/AAAAAAAAAKg/-iqz4qisA9I/s400/Winnipeg-CityHall7.jpg

1ajs
Jul 11, 2010, 10:54 PM
also the royal bank building has windows added and vults added and fire escape and signs changed around kinda neat to see how things change over time

Winnipegger@Heart
Jul 12, 2010, 1:51 AM
The Leland was somewhat stupid-looking, but a restored Leland would be nice too.

http://www.manitobaphotos.com/Postcards/p126.jpg

Andy6
Jul 12, 2010, 1:56 AM
great photos!
do you know when that market square picture was taken? i'm curious when the market building was converted to civic offices. and the leland hotel's top 3 floors had already burnt down...

The Leland fire was in 1913, I believe. I would guess that that postcard is from the early to mid 1920s ... maybe 1923 or 1924, somewhere in there.

h0twired
Jul 12, 2010, 1:17 PM
Someone should really restore Old Market Square and build a building on the property.

Anyone interested in starting the Friends of Old Market Square on Facebook?

So sad that the original building is no longer there.

:poke:

1ajs
Jul 19, 2010, 1:18 AM
http://mypage.iu.edu/%7Ejlyle/winnipeg_fire.jpg

Andy6
Jul 19, 2010, 3:01 AM
Wow ... that was quick!

1ajs
Jul 19, 2010, 3:07 AM
what was???

Andy6
Jul 19, 2010, 3:32 AM
How fast it went up there after the auction ended. Anyway, I've got a pretty good collection of early Winnipeg fire postcards now. That's just the second showing a fire actually in progress, though. I will do a better scan for pointdouglas.com.

RTD
Jul 19, 2010, 3:41 AM
How long did you stay to watch the fire consume the building, Andy? ;)

rgalston
Jul 21, 2010, 3:28 PM
Shameless self promotion: A new blog where I will blab endlessly (http://pointdouglas.blogspot.com/) about Point Douglas History.

First post about John Higgins, and his residence on South Point Douglas riverbank, Roseville Cottage, built 1875.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hKOLMz0ZxgA/TEcExWkTQ7I/AAAAAAAAAAU/JbhicJezK6g/s1600/J.+Higgins+Roseville+Cottage+c1880+%28mba%29.jpg

1ajs
Jul 21, 2010, 9:03 PM
kool plops a link to it on my site

anyhow
http://pointdouglas.com/plugins/p17_image_gallery/images/1541.jpg

1ajs
Jul 21, 2010, 9:14 PM
interesting shows the bay window on my house in 1905 thats now gone but still presint in my baement as a closit and earlyer stages of additions the rear
and shorter in height interesting...
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hKOLMz0ZxgA/TEc6xV3k_GI/AAAAAAAAAAk/-YYfzCmurLY/s1600/Hallet+67-81,+1905+fire+ins.JPG

http://www.pointdouglas.com/plugins/p17_image_gallery/images/1468.jpg

1ajs
Jul 23, 2010, 2:55 PM
so from what i can tell home sweet home woulda looked simlar to this origonaly

http://centersandsquares.com/files/2009/03/agassiz-orange-mansard-cropped-300x290.jpg

rgalston
Jul 23, 2010, 7:04 PM
so from what i can tell home sweet home woulda looked simlar to this origonaly

http://centersandsquares.com/files/2009/03/agassiz-orange-mansard-cropped-300x290.jpg

Did your house have a mansard roof originally?

1ajs
Jul 23, 2010, 11:38 PM
not sure but from what i am reading on that fire map it probly did as it used to have one of those bay windows witch is still presint in my foundation as a closit plus my house is now taller and the lack of detail trim on the 2nd floor in the 1914 pic ....

and i continue to hunt for more things on this house as time goes tells an interesting story well to me at least as i love reading buildings as i go through them

1ajs
Jul 24, 2010, 10:37 PM
little find from today (i should realy pick up a scaner)
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4098/4824579307_d5a61ee112_b.jpg

1ajs
Jul 25, 2010, 7:06 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4827328179_68b9dfac55_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4116/4828009168_bd9236d187_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4828009438_06c993debe_b.jpg

Winnipegger@Heart
Jul 29, 2010, 1:05 PM
This is really depressing, but...OMFG, just imagine this still existing, restored:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2511/3887316502_44d3a3e73a_b.jpg

j.online
Jul 29, 2010, 6:47 PM
i believe this entire stretch was lost to the trizec tower, now 360 main. i'm still waiting for tower #2 to replace the streetscape/skyline lost Crown Realty...

JayM
Jul 30, 2010, 12:27 AM
i believe this entire stretch was lost to the trizec tower, now 360 main. i'm still waiting for tower #2 to replace the streetscape/skyline lost Crown Realty...

Do you think they will ever construct the second tower? I cant see it happening. Unless Scotiabank wants to fund it.

Winnipegger@Heart
Jul 30, 2010, 4:39 AM
The only possibility is GWL, unless it has found enough space elsewhere.

1ajs
Jul 30, 2010, 5:46 AM
the going rate per sqft is uneconomical for developers to make any profits on in their opion to build anything here at this time

JayM
Jul 30, 2010, 7:34 AM
Building a unfinished Cube for a stage seemed good enough according the Exchange District. Must be a new trend.

Have a vision. Make it look nice on paper. Show some Concepts. Then build fast with no concern. Also note that it cost alot of money to build it. Oh and then realize it was a bad idea.

Riverman
Jul 30, 2010, 2:33 PM
There was quite a good spot on the cube on CBC local news last night.The performers hate it, the stage sound is terrible and the audiences hate it. Time to tear it down and put up a stage stage!

1ajs
Jul 30, 2010, 3:20 PM
the issues it has are because its not finished yet......

h0twired
Jul 30, 2010, 3:37 PM
There was quite a good spot on the cube on CBC local news last night.The performers hate it, the stage sound is terrible and the audiences hate it. Time to tear it down and put up a stage stage!

Winnipeg hates anything new or different.

They could change the colour of the recycling bins from blue to green and you would hear about the strife it is causing Winnipeggers on CBC the next day.

DowntownWpg
Jul 30, 2010, 6:21 PM

Some bands/performers have nicknamed it "The Cheese Grater."

JayM
Jul 31, 2010, 8:37 AM
Some bands/performers have nicknamed it "The Cheese Grater."

:cheers: :banana: :previous:

1ajs
Jul 31, 2010, 4:44 PM
wait till after conert season over they will finish this beast and get the projection system setup......

roccerfeller
Jul 31, 2010, 6:19 PM
I think it looks cool

1ajs: Whats the deal with the going rate? How do these rates go up and down? What does Winnipeg need in order to get these towers going,

and has everyone been talking about the second tower that was supposed to be twins with the Richardson building?

1ajs
Jul 31, 2010, 8:04 PM
rihardson building twin what?

market rate is set by the vaancy rate and what people are willing to pay and some other factors such as the quality of rental you have amentiies location economy

RTD
Jul 31, 2010, 10:00 PM
and has everyone been talking about the second tower that was supposed to be twins with the Richardson building?

I think you mean either the Trizac or TD twin towers. I don't believe there was ever plans for a Richardson twin tower.

roccerfeller
Aug 1, 2010, 12:10 AM
Yes, I think I am confused.

On the previous page there was some chat about the "second tower" being constructed.

What are these Trizac or TD twin towers?

So 1ajs, I suppose that for these to be built and in demand, that would mean a diversified economy and low rates, but if Winnipeg has those two (does it?) I guess that means ppl are simply not willing to pay for the current prices?

trueviking
Aug 6, 2010, 4:33 PM
found this interesting...a study of downtown winnipeg in 1966....

the current downtown population is the same as it was in 1941 and double what it was in 1966.

the number of retail units in 1966 was 319...probably a lot more today....

shows how statistics can be skewed.

http://www.mts.net/~jjaworsk/metro/documents/downtownplan.html

1ajs
Aug 6, 2010, 9:07 PM
nice find there vike

burried in that study

" The most serious objection to our present practices, however, is that they are inefficient. They are very wasteful of land and very expensive. The widespread development of surface parking lots Downtown, although "economic" in the very narrowest sense of that term, is socially very costly. It maintains large areas of land in an undeveloped condition and provides no incentives for placing buildings on them. It may be argued that this is so only in a situation where the general level of development activity is low; where there is a high level of demand, surface parking is only a transitional use, and soon is replaced by structures of one kind or another. While there can be no quarrel with the validity of this observation, it is at the same time important to recognize the fact that the prevailing low level of development activity is to a very significant degree a reflection of our attitudes and policies toward the Downtown; changes in those attitudes and policies could produce changes in the utilization of Downtown land which would result in a much more satisfactory provision of parking facilities and a fuller use of the land now devoted to surface parking."

Biff
Aug 11, 2010, 4:56 PM
Winnipeg Free Press
Posted: 11/08/2010 11:31 AM

Winnipeg’s Warehouse District has made the Top 10 — but it’s not a list you want to be on.

The area, which includes the Exchange District National Historic Site, is one of the country’s Top 10 Endangered Places as designated today by the national Heritage Canada Foundation.

In a statement, the foundation says the area is in danger because of "unchecked demolition and unsympathetic replacement buildings."

Other architectural and heritage sites on the list include Kitsilano Senior Secondary School in Vancouver, Lansdowne Park in Ottawa and the Porter/McKinley block — home to one of the last remaining intact opera houses in Ontario — in Ridgetown.

The Heritage Canada Foundation is a national non-profit organization whose mandate is to promote the preservation of the country’s historic buildings and places.

rgalston
Aug 11, 2010, 5:32 PM
Winnipeg Free Press
Posted: 11/08/2010 11:31 AM

Winnipeg’s Warehouse District has made the Top 10 — but it’s not a list you want to be on.

The area, which includes the Exchange District National Historic Site, is one of the country’s Top 10 Endangered Places as designated today by the national Heritage Canada Foundation.

In a statement, the foundation says the area is in danger because of "unchecked demolition and unsympathetic replacement buildings."

Other architectural and heritage sites on the list include Kitsilano Senior Secondary School in Vancouver, Lansdowne Park in Ottawa and the Porter/McKinley block — home to one of the last remaining intact opera houses in Ontario — in Ridgetown.

The Heritage Canada Foundation is a national non-profit organization whose mandate is to promote the preservation of the country’s historic buildings and places.

I'm in contact with a former Winnipegger in that office, and they have been dismayed over the last couple of years at what is happening in Winnipeg, in the Exchange and on Main Street. They see Winnipeg as a place that could go from the envy of Canadian heritage, to a national laughing stock.

But, hey, at least the city's heritage community "saved" the gravel lot behind Upper Fort Garry.

Wpg_Guy
Aug 11, 2010, 5:52 PM
Ross McGowan is seriously delusional, Sport Mantioba turned out just great with it's with one heritage structure gone and it's soon to be parking lot.

Heritage Warehouses Not In Jeopardy - CentreVenture

CJOB News Team reporting
8/11/2010

Heritage Canada has placed Winnipeg's warehouse district on its top ten most endangered places list.
Spokesperson Carolyn Quinn tells CJOB.. a dangerous precedent is being set:
But Ross McGowan of CentreVenture calls that a cheap shot, and irresponsible:
McGowan says the Sport Manitoba project is a great example of heritage warehouses being put to good use

rgalston
Aug 11, 2010, 8:36 PM
McGowan says the Sport Manitoba project is a great example of heritage warehouses being put to good use

"Put to good use," I guess, is South Drive-ese for "demolish for parking."

trueviking
Aug 12, 2010, 2:15 AM
http://www.centreventure.com/contact_us.php

someone send him a photo of the smart bag company building on its way down....is he stupid or just a liar.

1ajs
Aug 12, 2010, 4:39 AM
couple people were telling me they were emptying their mouse traps on sport manitoba gravel lot as a protest

JayM
Aug 12, 2010, 4:52 AM
couple people were telling me they were emptying their mouse traps on sport manitoba gravel lot as a protest

lol, thats a good one.

h0twired
Aug 12, 2010, 5:25 AM

Got a rodent problem in Point Douglas?

1ajs
Aug 12, 2010, 2:16 PM
Got a rodent problem in Point Douglas?
the cats arounnd the hood tend to keep them in check