PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Midtown Mile

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

trainiac
Oct 5, 2007, 5:46 PM
But the signature upgrade will be the addition of a white-tablecloth restaurant in either the main lobby or on a parcel next to the tower at Peachtree Street and North Avenue.

This would make a huge difference. I've never liked that large plaza, and they'd have guaranteed Fox traffic. Half a block away, you know the Spotted Dog? If you only went when they first opened and haven't been back because the food was terrible and the beer list laughable.... try it again. They have a bunch of good micros on draft now and the food is way better. And they've got a pretty good patio too.

Fiorenza
Oct 5, 2007, 6:00 PM
That plaza would need a fundamental redesign.

jason21atl
Oct 5, 2007, 9:35 PM
I think it's great that they are talking about doing this. I love the idea of re-fitting retail at some of these older office buildings. First it was 999 Peachtree, then Colony Square (btw, anyone know when they are moving forward with those?) and now Bank of America Plaza. Very exciting stuff.

Terminus
Oct 5, 2007, 10:53 PM
I think it's great that they are talking about doing this. I love the idea of re-fitting retail at some of these older office buildings. First it was 999 Peachtree, then Colony Square (btw, anyone know when they are moving forward with those?) and now Bank of America Plaza. Very exciting stuff.

I've also heard that the Campanile building at Peachtree and 14th is going to be repositioned on the ground floor for retail.

smArTaLlone
Oct 6, 2007, 1:39 PM
^^ I hope that happens. I think retrofitting existing buildings will be crucial to having enough critical mass in the short term and that building is a prime candidate.

L.ARCH
Oct 8, 2007, 6:44 PM
I was thinking today about restaurants that would do well on the Mile. I know that many of you think that restaurants need to be on side streets but what do you think about a destination restaurant locating on Peachtree? Something like a 2nd Emeril's location or a new and improved Atlanta Fish Market?

atl2phx
Oct 8, 2007, 7:25 PM
I was thinking today about restaurants that would do well on the Mile. I know that many of you think that restaurants need to be on side streets but what do you think about a destination restaurant locating on Peachtree? Something like a 2nd Emeril's location or a new and improved Atlanta Fish Market?

well, if you listen to alot of forumers, there's not much place for restaurants on the MM. i happen to be a strong advocate that they should be there interspersed among the retail. i like the idea of an updated fish market. my choices would be:

houstons
ra sushi
brasserie la coze
murphys
rathburns steakhouse
taquera del sol
vini vidi vici
nan thai
watershed
soto soto
micks (yeah, thats right...MICKS!) :cool:

ChasAl
Oct 8, 2007, 7:59 PM
If you're talking about 'Destination' restaurants, I'd rather have restaurants that don't exist already....otherwise, I could just go to their existing destination.

sprtsluvr8
Oct 8, 2007, 8:22 PM
I think that restaurants like the old Harry's in a Hurry or Eatzi's would be a good addition...and some home-grown eateries - maybe a flagship Chik-fil-a? :) Or how about an urban, multi-story Home Depot?

I'm hoping that on some of the sidestreets and mixed throughout there are at least some everyday convenience-type stores...like mom-and-pop groceries or the style of a corner drug store. There should be an element of convenience for residents and not just destination eating and shopping.

gttx
Oct 8, 2007, 8:57 PM
An urban Home Depot? Are you kidding?

I can't imagine that a lot of those restaurants would ever look for locations on the Midtown Mile. Vini Vidi Vicci seems just fine in their 14th Street digs, there is a Mick's on Peachtree already (next to the Pleasant Pheasant), and there are 2 Chick-fil-As in the area (one at Colony Square and one in the AT&T complex).

A few of the other ones may do well, but you can only have so many restaurants. I feel like Midtown is pretty well saturated with dining choices already.

sprtsluvr8
Oct 8, 2007, 9:27 PM
An urban Home Depot? Are you kidding?

I can't imagine that a lot of those restaurants would ever look for locations on the Midtown Mile. Vini Vidi Vicci seems just fine in their 14th Street digs, there is a Mick's on Peachtree already (next to the Pleasant Pheasant), and there are 2 Chick-fil-As in the area (one at Colony Square and one in the AT&T complex).

A few of the other ones may do well, but you can only have so many restaurants. I feel like Midtown is pretty well saturated with dining choices already.

I have seen pictures of urban, multi-level Home Depot locations...they do exist. I'll see if I can find a picture of one.

I was kinda playing about Chik-fil-a, but it would be neat to see some Atlanta based retailers or restaurants investing in this Midtown concept...and not with a regular run-of-the-mill looking store front that you can find anywhere, but something eye-catching and unique. Maybe Peasant could have some variation on Mick's...or Metrotainment with another one, different from the Einstein's/Joe's/Cowtippers line...or even a perky Hooter's. :cheers:

sprtsluvr8
Oct 8, 2007, 9:32 PM
Found one on flickr...this one is in Chicago and has a couple of levels of parking on top behind the signage.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/32199176_dcb209578b.jpg?v=0

Check out the photo set on flickr titled "Urban Retail". There are some great pics of several different urban retail locations.

trnsplnt
Oct 8, 2007, 11:34 PM
I've always thought a flagship Waffle House would be nice. :banana:

sprtsluvr8
Oct 9, 2007, 1:53 AM
Okay...upscale and fancy.

atl2phx
Oct 9, 2007, 2:01 AM
Found one on flickr...this one is in Chicago and has a couple of levels of parking on top behind the signage.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/32199176_dcb209578b.jpg?v=0

Check out the photo set on flickr titled "Urban Retail". There are some great pics of several different urban retail locations.

this HD in NYC is very cool:

http://www.patkernighan.com/public_html/photos/Oct05/Home%20Depot.jpg

trainiac
Oct 9, 2007, 3:08 PM
I've always thought a flagship Waffle House would be nice. :banana:

Totally! This would be a great 24-hour restaurant on the MM. That diner on North is the only one now, isn't it?

Harry Cane
Oct 9, 2007, 6:37 PM
How 'bout a flagship Dunk n Dine? Maybe they could even have al fresco dining like the one on Cheshire Bridge! :D

smArTaLlone
Nov 5, 2007, 3:39 PM
I know there was some concern expressed about 12th & Midtown because of bland appearance of this image.

The images of the retail on the RJTR website (http://www.rjtplusr.com/rjtrport.htm) might be a little more encouraging.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3928/streetlevelmedva6.jpg

Andrea
Nov 5, 2007, 3:58 PM
I know there was some concern expressed about 12th & Midtown because of bland appearance of this image.

The images of the retail on the RJTR website (http://www.rjtplusr.com/rjtrport.htm) might be a little more encouraging.

Uh-oh. It's starting to look like Streets of Buckhead, with all these little faux thinga-majigs.

L.ARCH
Nov 6, 2007, 11:20 PM
Lutheran worshippers support mixed-used tower

By KEVIN DUFFY
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 11/06/07

A Midtown church and a developer have formed an unusual partnership to do a master plan for a key Peachtree Street location that would include building a mixed-use tower.

Congregants at Lutheran Church of the Redeemer voted Sunday to enter into an agreement with CRB Realty to sell more than an acre at 4th and Peachtree streets, just north of the Fox Theater.
Louie Favorite/AJC
(ENLARGE)
The Lutheran Church of the Redeemer has an agreement to sell land where a mixed-use tower will be built.

CRB plans to erect a highrise up to 40 stories tall with space for 40,000 square feet of retail, a boutique hotel, offices, and luxury apartments or condos.

CRB also will work with the church to fund an overall development plan for the entire 3-plus acres the church has owned along Peachtree. The planning will include the acreage CRB wants to buy on the north side of 4th, plus the land across the street where the church building is located.

Pastor Michael Foss said the church's support of vertical development means it's committed to having a significant profile in Midtown.

"Our mission to make disciples for Jesus Christ in the 21st century will be enhanced by this partnership, the dedicated planning and the opportunity to bolster our presence on Peachtree," Foss said.

He said the church can become a landmark even in a neighborhood of tall buildings. Look at the skating rink at Rockefeller Center in New York, Foss said.

"Rockefeller Center is surrounded by very high buildings," Foss said. "Regardless of the elevation of the buildings around us, we can create that sense of place with the church as its center."

More than 500 church members took part in the partnership vote, and nearly 89 percent supported the idea, Foss said.

CRB President Scott Brown said the opportunity to master plan a sizable tract "in the heart of the Midtown Mile — that's extra significant." CRB has been involved in the development of Atlantic Station.

Susan Mendheim, president and CEO of the Midtown Alliance, called the proposed mixed-use tower and master plan "a homerun for the Midtown Mile."

The Midtown Mile is 14 blocks along the Peachtree Street corridor from North Avenue to 15th Street targeted for 1 million square feet of street-level retail development.

Tom Ventulett, a founding partner of Thompson, Ventulett, Stainback and Associates (TVS), will work on the master plan based on input from the church and CRB.

The plan is expected to be completed in a year. After that, construction of the tower can begin, provided church members are still supportive. The building could be finished in the fall of 2010.

TVS designed the Woodruff Arts Center and Technology Square in Midtown, the Georgia Aquarium downtown, and helped develop Atlantic Station's master plan.

CRB will pay $13 million for the church land, Brown said. Total investment in the 625,000-square-foot tower will be in the range of $150 million, he said.

Conceptual plans call for 150,000 square feet of office space and 200-250 condos or apartments.

Foss said the church doesn't have firm expansion plans yet. But its wish list includes possibly building additional space for worship and other functions, or a preschool that could evolve into an elementary school.

About 3,000 people worship at the 55-year-old church building.

"We are a growing, thriving church, and we're growing younger," Foss said. "We have a variety of dreams that we believe would be very positive for Midtown and for us."

smArTaLlone
Nov 7, 2007, 5:50 PM
:previous: Good deal

When looking at this picture, I though it would be difficult to completely bridge the skyline gap because there aren't many places for highrises between Ponce and 6th.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d124/tedmac278/IMG_2580.jpg

EuphoricOctopus
Nov 8, 2007, 12:17 AM
think before reply button...

jaypkatl
Nov 9, 2007, 1:39 AM
I think there is plenty of room - Just tear down the crappy places, build on the empty courtyards and tear down the churchs already (im sure im gonna catch hell for that last one!!)

djkix
Nov 17, 2007, 8:14 PM
aren't we limited by the infrastructure to pull off the midtown mile that some dream about? you go to 5th ave in ny, mag mile in chicago, there are many lanes on the road and the sidewalks are huuuuge. on peachtree, there are 4 lanes (and this is supposed to be atl's signature road?) and the sidewak spaces are already limited by decades of poor urban planning. i guess the narrow road makes it more intimate but what do you do about the sidewalks?

atl2phx
Nov 17, 2007, 9:42 PM
aren't we limited by the infrastructure to pull off the midtown mile that some dream about? you go to 5th ave in ny, mag mile in chicago, there are many lanes on the road and the sidewalks are huuuuge. on peachtree, there are 4 lanes (and this is supposed to be atl's signature road?) and the sidewak spaces are already limited by decades of poor urban planning. i guess the narrow road makes it more intimate but what do you do about the sidewalks?

agreed.

Andrea
Nov 17, 2007, 9:54 PM

True. Atlanta has very little pavement compared to other large cities, and the streets we do have a pretty puny. That's a significant limitation for things like light rail, too. It's an odd anomaly in that we are such a car town but I'm not sure there's anything to done about it at this point.

atl2phx
Nov 17, 2007, 10:48 PM
True. Atlanta has very little pavement compared to other large cities, and the streets we do have a pretty puny. That's a significant limitation for things like light rail, too. It's an odd anomaly in that we are such a car town but I'm not sure there's anything to done about it at this point.

this is where i think atlanta streetcar should target routes down secondary thoroughfares parallel to peachtree such as west peachtree, and/or spring, and/or juniper. they should leave peachtree alone.

leaving peachtree open for retail fed by footraffic from secondary streets would "spread the wealth" (so to speak) across midtown.

peachtree, as puny as it is, is to narrow to be everything for all of midtown.

CityFan
Nov 18, 2007, 5:35 AM
We can make it walk only street lined up with retail stores, restraurants, museums, entertaining centers, and movie theaters, etc. The width of the street is not an issue, IMO.

sprtsluvr8
Nov 18, 2007, 7:31 AM

I thought the puny streets problem was solved by building 20 lanes of connector-way through downtown? :)

Dragonheart8588
Nov 18, 2007, 3:13 PM
I just remember that Las Vegas has its own shopping destination Mile called Miracle Mile by Planet Hollywood.

Andrea
Nov 18, 2007, 3:20 PM
I thought the puny streets problem was solved by building 20 lanes of connector-way through downtown? :)

That's been the theory. And of course we've all seen how well that idea works.

:haha:

Of course in today's world the connector has come to function primarily as a way for suburbanites to bypass the city. In comparison to its competitors, I'd give it slightly higher marks than Spaghetti Junction and the 285/400 interchange. It's falling behind 75/285 and will probably be less effective than the revised 85/316 junction.

With regard to cities, however, I spent some time in the last few weeks in a nicely done mid-size city (New Haven) and in New York. It's really interesting to contrast the effects of having greater density, and more and larger urban streets. Both of those cities have a lot more pavement and as a result vehicular traffic moves much more smoothly. More significantly (in my mind), the pedestrian experience is also vastly enhanced. I think it underlines the fact that city transportation is about connectivity and interaction, whereas suburban transit like the connector is oriented toward bypassing civilization and moving motorized vehicles to distant locations.

Fiorenza
Nov 18, 2007, 5:33 PM
this is where i think atlanta streetcar should target routes down secondary thoroughfares parallel to peachtree such as west peachtree, and/or spring, and/or juniper. they should leave peachtree alone.

Couldn't agree more. if/when a trolley is developed, it should run north on West Peachtree and south on Juniper. Seems almost a no-brainer to do that.

tdawg
Nov 18, 2007, 10:44 PM
there's also a Miracle Mile in Coral Gables, FL.

MarketsWork
Nov 19, 2007, 4:42 AM
Couldn't agree more. if/when a trolley is developed, it should run north on West Peachtree and south on Juniper. Seems almost a no-brainer to do that.

I agree with you and atl2phx on this. The trolley would do more harm than good on Peachtree Street itself, where it would create more of a mess with two-way vehicular traffic. I believe your idea of idea one-way routes on West Peachtree and Juniper would work beautifully, with the added benefit of spreading denser development east and west of the Peachtree spine.

Fiorenza
Nov 19, 2007, 5:15 AM
Yes, putting a trolley directly on Peachtree Street would just kitsch it up. You really have to wonder why people can't visualize.

RobMidtowner
Nov 19, 2007, 2:45 PM
Either way would have the same impact...if traffic gets 'kitsched' up on Peachtree then people can drive on West Peachtree in Juniper instead. For the Midtown Mile to be successful, Peachtree needs to be pedestrian friendly...not a car dominated thru route. Besides, how is a streetcar on Peachtree different from buses already running on it?

Andrea
Nov 19, 2007, 3:48 PM
It looks like Houston's drivers are not doing a particularly great job of yielding to their light rail system through downtown. I wonder if Atlanta's drivers (who are of course well-known for their courteous and non-aggressive nature) would do much better?

http://www.actionamerica.org/houston/wham-tora-3.pdf

http://www.lightrailnow.org/features/f_hou_2005-01.htm

ATLaffinity
Nov 19, 2007, 4:35 PM
Either way would have the same impact...if traffic gets 'kitsched' up on Peachtree then people can drive on West Peachtree in Juniper instead. For the Midtown Mile to be successful, Peachtree needs to be pedestrian friendly...not a car dominated thru route. Besides, how is a streetcar on Peachtree different from buses already running on it?

Totally agree. Shouldn't W Peach and Juniper be the car routes?

also, what's kitschy about the streetcar? The Tech "trolley" is kitschy b/c it's not a trolley. isn't the streetcar going to be a streetcar??? it's not going to be on wheels with a Rice-a-Roni ad the back.

trainiac
Nov 19, 2007, 4:37 PM
I agree with you and atl2phx on this. The trolley would do more harm than good on Peachtree Street itself, where it would create more of a mess with two-way vehicular traffic. I believe your idea of idea one-way routes on West Peachtree and Juniper would work beautifully, with the added benefit of spreading denser development east and west of the Peachtree spine.

I like a few things about this: you wouldn't have to build passenger islands in the middle of the street since the doors would always be along the sidewalk closest to Peachtree; it would certainly help spur development along both streets and hopefully make each a little more pedestrian friendly.

The biggest problem I see is the nature of Peachtree being on a ridge -- could you imagine being a tourist on the northbound (W.Ptree) line and getting off at say 7th or 8th and trying to walk up that hill to Cypress and still be a block away from the Midtown Mile? That's probably the most drastic grade but there are a few others around that come to mind.

Somebody posted downthread about drivers not yielding to light rail in Houston.... yeah, that's gonna be a problem anywhere we put it. That and double-parking. Atlantans love to double park.

cabasse
Nov 19, 2007, 5:53 PM
i personally think it's a tremendous waste of resources constructing atlanta's first modern streetcar down the same corridor already served by its single n/s route. an absolutely tremendous waste of resources, time and energy that could be devoted towards helping to create more e/w density that i'd love to see develop.

i think the midtown mile's success wholly depends on the quality of future retail as well as the way consumers in the city respond, not whether or not they can ride a streetcar between shoppes.

:2cents:

sprtsluvr8
Nov 19, 2007, 8:26 PM
Totally agree. Shouldn't W Peach and Juniper be the car routes?

also, what's kitschy about the streetcar? The Tech "trolley" is kitschy b/c it's not a trolley. isn't the streetcar going to be a streetcar??? it's not going to be on wheels with a Rice-a-Roni ad the back.

The MARTA stations throughout Midtown are not ON Peachtree Street...Civic Center, North Ave and Arts Center stations are located on West Peachtree St. and Midtown station is between West Peachtree and Peachtree Streets. West Peachtree, Juniper, Piedmont, and Spring are all one-way, multi-lane streets that are much easier and quicker to get around on...Peachtree is not built the same way. I agree, the others should be the main car routes through Midtown.

The point of the streetcar idea is to make Peachtree Street THE street in Atlanta...with a unique shopping area and unique transportation.

L.ARCH
Nov 25, 2007, 4:34 PM
Does anyone know why they haven't made any announcements regarding future tenants?

It seems strange with this downturn in the market, and developers giving more and more incentives, that they would be flaunting everything they got. It would defiantly create more buzz and perhaps more potential buyers.

The Streets of Buckhead continue to make announcements and it makes the development appear to be more successful. Any thoughts?

coyotetrickster
Nov 25, 2007, 10:56 PM
Yes, putting a trolley directly on Peachtree Street would just kitsch it up. You really have to wonder why people can't visualize.

Fiorenza, as a former Atlantan, I visit this page to check on the old homestead and for the last few posts I've noticed a rather negative, disregard for urban transit that seems informed mostly by what I would venture are your own issues. A trolley would not kitsch up peachtree. Market St. here in SF is actually very enhanced by our F-line trolley and it complements our BART and MUNI subway stations. In my reading of the city's plan (Read Mayor Franklin), it is a surface light rail (and yes, those drivers on Peachtree in a hurry to get wherever will be slowed down waiting for riders to embark and disembark, pity that.) It won't kitsch up Peachtree if the cars are well-designed (I won't talk about SF's Pininfarina designed Breda cars as an example). There is great potential in the effort to knit midtown together with Midtown Mile as the nexus, and yes, some retailers will loose their shirts (that's capitalism), others will succeed. Eventually, population density will increase to the point it will support the immediate retail. That might be later than sooner, but it will happen. Oil is not going down in price and fuel cells are still an iffy distribution problem. Demand from China and India's middle class, already double the size of the entire U.S. population, are joining, if not already joined, the mobile class. You'll be surprised how much infill can happen with gas at $4 to $5 per gallon.

Andrea
Nov 25, 2007, 11:14 PM
You'll be surprised how much infill can happen with gas at $4 to $5 per gallon.

I think gas will have to go higher than that to get Alantans out of their cars. If they'll pay $3 a gallon they'll pay $6.

One of the things I've wondered about is this, however. Clearly gas prices are going to get higher and higher and commutes will take longer and longer. But instead of causing a mass movement of residents back to town, isn't it just as likely that many businesses will simply relocate further out in order to be closer to their workers?

MarketsWork
Nov 25, 2007, 11:39 PM
I believe it's likely that both will happen. Jobs are already clustering in outlying "mini-cities" all over metro Atlanta, close to where the workers live. I believe many aspects of that trend are positive, in that some of these mini-cities look quite balanced and livable. And I suspect this trend will continue.

However, I also believe a combination of factors will make intown living more attractive to a growing number of Atlantans. Increasing congestion, commute times and fuel prices in the once-open suburbs will take away much of the appeal that the suburbs once offered. I don't expect a huge migration of suburbanites to the city, but I do expect that future residents will face a more balanced choice of where to live, and all that the city offers will begin to look better and better.

So my opinion is that BOTH will happen, and that's a good thing.

Trae
Nov 26, 2007, 1:07 AM
I think gas will have to go higher than that to get Alantans out of their cars. If they'll pay $3 a gallon they'll pay $6.

One of the things I've wondered about is this, however. Clearly gas prices are going to get higher and higher and commutes will take longer and longer. But instead of causing a mass movement of residents back to town, isn't it just as likely that many businesses will simply relocate further out in order to be closer to their workers?

That may happen, too. Businesses live in the inner city to be with their workers out in the boonies. Also, it is like people slowly adapt to the gas prices. Yeah they get high, but overtime, you get use to it and pay the price anyway. Just three-four years ago, and HEB in Houston (similar to Publix) had gas for 99 cents a gallon.

Chris Creech
Nov 27, 2007, 5:01 AM

People also see gas prices as something that goes up, but generally comes back down. They are willing to ride out high prices to an extent, then they seem to adjust to them. Then they do come down (but not to the previous level).

However, as we're maxing out on production levels, and working with limited oil supplies, and people start seeing gas as something that's just going to keep getting more and more expensive, and on an ever increasing bell curve. Then they will start making more long term decisions on transporation.

They'll start not just worrying about paying an extra nickle or two for their next tank.

littlepnut
Jan 15, 2008, 3:34 AM
Does anybody think a Apple Store would be going into the Midtown Mile I mean that would be Totally Awesome if that did happen or Like a Williams Sonoma. But does anyone have any ideas about what kind of stores would be going in there??????? :shrug:

CityFan
Jan 15, 2008, 7:35 PM
To attract visitors, Midtown must have a lot of things that set apart from others. Only shops won't be enough to bring people into midtown. It has to make it worth a while for people travel in from out of town. Face the reality: you've got Lenox and Phipps plaza a few miles away on MARTA line. Why do people have to come to Midtown for shopping? To me, nothing in stores is unique. It's just individial's preference. What it makes Midtown unique is its location and surroundings, such as tourist attraction. Without this, Midtown doesn't have its advantage. Atlanta doesn't have water front with a nice view like Florida beaches. All you can do is wandering around or go to musiums, which cost much money and people can't afford going there frequetly. Midtown must figure out something unique in attracting people, IMO, such as a free ride around downtown and midtown for sightseeing with unique vehicles representing Atlanta.

catlike
Jan 15, 2008, 7:44 PM
First and foremost, Midtown is a neighborhood. Shops may not attract visitors, but the residents need shops for their daily needs. While Lenox is served by the Marta, much of the surrounding area is not served in an efficient manner (yes, there is the Buc), but why should an area with the density of Midtown have to travel to buy a pair of socks? Midtown has the potential to provide residents with a carless living experience, and that is why the Midtown Mile is important, as far as I'm concerned.

RobMidtowner
Jan 15, 2008, 8:08 PM
^Exactly, and not to mention areas surrounding Midtown within a few miles. This will be more convenient than Lenox to a lot of people.

smArTaLlone
Jan 16, 2008, 2:49 PM
First and foremost, Midtown is a neighborhood. Shops may not attract visitors, but the residents need shops for their daily needs. While Lenox is served by the Marta, much of the surrounding area is not served in an efficient manner (yes, there is the Buc), but why should an area with the density of Midtown have to travel to buy a pair of socks? Midtown has the potential to provide residents with a carless living experience, and that is why the Midtown Mile is important, as far as I'm concerned.

:tup:

CityFan
Jan 16, 2008, 5:36 PM
If I am not wrong, people have been talking about shopping mecca. Midtown miles wants to have lots of high end flagships, not just for conveniece, the area poses to attract tourists. I hope we are thinking and talking about the same thing.

CityFan
Jan 16, 2008, 5:39 PM
Another thought is about Dillard's at Atlantic Station where is supposed to be part of midtown. I read some postings about it and am wondering how it's doing. IMO, it's partially mirroring the fate of like kind retailers in the area.

catlike
Jan 16, 2008, 7:13 PM
Another thought is about Dillard's at Atlantic Station where is supposed to be part of midtown. I read some postings about it and am wondering how it's doing. IMO, it's partially mirroring the fate of like kind retailers in the area.

Atlantic Station isn't part of Midtown (despite what realtors and developers would like you to think). It's technically part of Home Park, according to the Atlanta Development Authority.

I wouldn't consider that Dillards to be a fine example of what the area needs retailwise. It's a bad fit, so no wonder it doesn't do well. It screams suburban mall anchor and doesn't have the commanding presence that an urban department store should have. And maybe it's just me, but I don't get the same vibe when I'm walking into Dillards that I get when I walk into Macy's. The clothing selection (especially the men's) just seems blah. I've found some bargains there, but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice for a department store.

catlike
Jan 16, 2008, 7:25 PM
If I am not wrong, people have been talking about shopping mecca. Midtown miles wants to have lots of high end flagships, not just for conveniece, the area poses to attract tourists. I hope we are thinking and talking about the same thing.

We're talking about the same thing, but I think the approach we're taking is different. The mayor can throw around "world-class shopping" all she wants, but the fact of the matter is, there's a generous supply of income waiting to be spent on an everyday basis that trucks itself up to Lenox and beyond. I'm skeptical, but if she can attract high-end flagship stores to set up shop in an area with little existing retail, good for her. Now she needs to whip out that magic wand again and get us some transportation dollars. :haha:

littlepnut
Jan 17, 2008, 4:31 AM
You know this might sound rude but i have heard that there were going to be shops like HIGH RETAIL SHOPS is that true

RobMidtowner
Jan 17, 2008, 1:53 PM
^That's not rude at all. :cheers:

The Midtown Mile is being sold as "High-end" and "World Class" but the jury is still out.

catlike
Jan 17, 2008, 2:53 PM
You know this might sound rude but i have heard that there were going to be shops like HIGH RETAIL SHOPS is that true

No, you're not being rude. I just don't see how (outside of, say, Dubai), an area is just going to suddenly foster high-end retail out of nowhere. Shopping districts grow and develop over time. Lenox is still the choicest area for high-end retail because it has proven itself. We'll see, though. I can't wait until there's a confirmed tenant for these projects and not just rumors.

littlepnut
Jan 17, 2008, 4:18 PM
ok but would this attract like the high class people i mean i know i am being a little bit rude but some high class people can be rude sometimes and some of them will admit it and some won't but i really do think it would be awesome for that but also the 1010 midtown looks really cool i have seen some pics maybe like a while back but does anyone have some updated ones?????

ThrashATL
Jan 17, 2008, 5:17 PM
ok but would this attract like the high class people i mean i know i am being a little bit rude but some high class people can be rude sometimes and some of them will admit it and some won't but i really do think it would be awesome for that but also the 1010 midtown looks really cool i have seen some pics maybe like a while back but does anyone have some updated ones?????

Don't take this as rude but you are the MASTER of run-on sentences!

scania
Jan 17, 2008, 9:42 PM
:previous:
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
Dude, you could've at least answered the kids question.

ATLaffinity
Jan 18, 2008, 3:52 PM
1. Apple is expected to go in either Viewpoint or 1010

2. Why would high end retail in Midtown be so odd??? It's not being forced. There's a ton of $$$ intown. Certainly the area is growing like mad. It's not like they are trying to force the Midtown Mile onto some low-rent neighborhood.

atl2phx
Jan 18, 2008, 4:01 PM
1. Apple is expected to go in either Viewpoint or 1010

2. Why would high end retail in Midtown be so odd??? It's not being forced. There's a ton of $$$ intown. Certainly the area is growing like mad. It's not like they are trying to force the Midtown Mile onto some low-rent neighborhood.

agreed.

additionally, there are several blocks of side streets on both sides of peachtree capable of absorbing tons of additional retail. IMHO, it's these streets (spring, w. peach, juniper, piedmont, ponce, 3rd through 14th) that are better targets for those neighborhood sustaining retail establishments that catlike refered to in earlier posts.

i don't see an issue with going for the top tier retailers for the MM portion of peachtree - a good strategy i think.

dirtybird
Jan 18, 2008, 4:53 PM
IMHO, it's these streets (spring, w. peach, juniper, piedmont, ponce, 3rd through 14th) that are better targets for those neighborhood sustaining retail establishments that catlike refered to in earlier posts.

I would love to see a multi-story movie theater on Juniper or West Peachtree.

midtowngt
Jan 18, 2008, 5:46 PM
agreed.

additionally, there are several blocks of side streets on both sides of peachtree capable of absorbing tons of additional retail. IMHO, it's these streets (spring, w. peach, juniper, piedmont, ponce, 3rd through 14th) that are better targets for those neighborhood sustaining retail establishments that catlike refered to in earlier posts.

i don't see an issue with going for the top tier retailers for the MM portion of peachtree - a good strategy i think.

Look at the renderings for the realignment of 990 Peachtree...that glass box is just begging for a big apple logo hanging in the front. The corner of Peachtree and 10th seems like it would be a great location for an Apple Store. If you look at the "flagship" stores they desgin they all have very striking architecture and tend to be extremely visible...they kind of have a thing for the "floating" glass box also.

Andrea
Jan 18, 2008, 7:25 PM
:koko: Look at the renderings for the realignment of 990 Peachtree...that glass box is just begging for a big apple logo hanging in the front. The corner of Peachtree and 10th seems like it would be a great location for an Apple Store.

I just think in the overall scheme of things it will be better for Midtown people to go to Perimeter Mall or Lenox for their Apple needs. If you give them an Apple store in midtown, they're just going to be hanging out there at all hours of the day and night when they should be working or studying. Keeping the store a little further away makes it more likely that they won't go to the store unless they actually want to buy something.

Moreover, there's also an Apple store at Discover Mall in Suwanee. How many of these things do we need?

sunking1056
Jan 18, 2008, 7:30 PM
Moreover, there's also an Apple store at Discover Mall in Suwanee. How many of these things do we need?

A lot if they keep selling 20,000 iPhones a day!

Sorry, I don't want to start that discussion up again :)

midtowngt
Jan 18, 2008, 7:40 PM
:koko:

I just think in the overall scheme of things it will be better for Midtown people to go to Perimeter Mall or Lenox for their Apple needs. If you give them an Apple store in midtown, they're just going to be hanging out there at all hours of the day and night when they should be working or studying. Keeping the store a little further away makes it more likely that they won't go to the store unless they actually want to buy something.

I would have to disagree completely with you. They are looking for high end retail for Peachtree. The Apple Store is high end retail that the people in the surrounding area can afford. Not to mention their stores just look great. This would look amazing on the corner of Peachtree and 10th St.

http://www.ingens.it/blog/uploaded_images/bigapple-744772.jpg

I'm not sure if you guys know this, but the Apple Store at Lenox Mall is always in the top busiest stores in the country (not including the flagship stores).

BTW Andrea I am not really sure what you are trying to say about the people in Midtown. What is wrong with visiting an Apple Store. Isn't building a store where your customers are the general idea of retail?

Curious Atlantan
Jan 18, 2008, 7:55 PM

They should not go to Perimeter Mall or Lenox. They should go to the Midtown Mile. Isn't the whole idea to bring street level retail to Atlanta??

echinatl
Jan 18, 2008, 8:01 PM

Grandma... is that you?

mayhem
Jan 18, 2008, 8:11 PM
Andrea's post is:

http://cyberthugs.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/ludacris.jpg

Andrea
Jan 18, 2008, 8:22 PM
If you young folks have enough to be fiddling around in an Apple store it sounds like you have enough time for a part time job. Back in my day we were expected to make ourselves useful.

Behind_Phips
Jan 18, 2008, 8:26 PM
If you young folks have enough to be fiddling around in an Apple store it sounds like you have enough time for a part time job. Back in my day we were expected to make ourselves useful.

Hey Granny,

A lot has changed in a 100 years. We young folks believe the government should support us. :tup:

midtowngt
Jan 18, 2008, 8:38 PM

I guess this is where us "young" people differ in opinion.

I work to live....not the other way around.

Behind_Phips
Jan 18, 2008, 8:44 PM
I guess this is where us "young" people differ in opinion.

I work to live....not the other way around.

midtowngt -

Don't mind Andrea. The change of weather is probably causing Andrea's bursitis to flair up. She gets grouchy anytime the cold weather comes.

Dragonheart8588
Jan 18, 2008, 8:48 PM
midtowngt -

Don't mind Andrea. The change of weather is probably causing Andrea's bursitis to flair up. She gets grouchy anytime the cold weather comes.

I just learn of a new medical oddity, bursitis. Thanks to BP. :P

Trae
Jan 18, 2008, 8:48 PM
midtowngt -

Come on now.

Behind_Phips
Jan 18, 2008, 8:52 PM
I just learn of a new medical oddity, bursitis. Thanks to BP. :P

Hey Drangonheart -

Ya, you better watch out for the bursitis, it'll getcha every time. :whip:

Behind_Phips
Jan 18, 2008, 8:54 PM
Come on now.

Don't shoot the messenger Trae. Clearly Andrea is grouchy, just read her posts.

mayhem
Jan 18, 2008, 8:57 PM

What difference does it make if it's an Apple store or any another type of retail? I can only hope that this is sarcastic.

littlepnut
Jan 18, 2008, 9:12 PM
I would love to see a multi-story movie theater on Juniper or West Peachtree.

I totally agree with you on that!!! It would be awesome if that happened but isn't there going to be one in Midtown Mile????? :shrug:

Behind_Phips
Jan 18, 2008, 9:17 PM
I totally agree with you on that!!! It would be awesome if that happened but isn't there going to be one in Midtown Mile????? :shrug:

Not me, look at Atlantic Station on a weekend night. Movie theaters bring out the young punks.

Terminus
Jan 18, 2008, 10:37 PM

No. Movie theaters are very hard to make work from a real estate perspective. I think Atlantic Station is the Downtown/Midtown theater for a long time to come.

Neosoul
Jan 19, 2008, 12:55 AM
No. Movie theaters are very hard to make work from a real estate perspective.

why is that? just curious.

littlepnut
Jan 19, 2008, 2:01 AM
No. Movie theaters are very hard to make work from a real estate perspective. I think Atlantic Station is the Downtown/Midtown theater for a long time to come.

yeah why is that

Fiorenza
Jan 19, 2008, 3:21 AM
for one thing, I don't think too many people go to movies anymore. Like Terminus said, movies don't work very well because they don't return a good revenue yield per foot, especially considering all the required parking. They also tend to attract a lot of younger people who just "hang out" - and don't spend money.

Andrea
Jan 19, 2008, 3:45 AM
My thoughts exactly. If these young people are so bound and determined to "hang out" (and apparently they have plenty of time and money to do so), then why can't they at least do it at one of the malls where we have security to keep an eye on them?

Fiorenza
Jan 19, 2008, 3:57 AM
Or they could stay home and read some great literature.

Dragonheart8588
Jan 19, 2008, 4:11 AM
Or they could stay home and read some great literature.

I agree with you guys but I honestly believe that it is the older generation that failed the younger ones.

Fiorenza
Jan 19, 2008, 5:11 AM
Yes, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

sunking1056
Jan 19, 2008, 6:25 AM
My thoughts exactly. If these young people are so bound and determined to "hang out" (and apparently they have plenty of time and money to do so), then why can't they at least do it at one of the malls where we have security to keep an eye on them?

Andrea, have you actually gone crazy? What happened to the pleasant, reasonable Andrea we all used to know? :(

Andrea
Jan 19, 2008, 9:41 AM
Andrea, have you actually gone crazy? What happened to the pleasant, reasonable Andrea we all used to know? :(

Oh, dear, another one of my clumsy attempts at humor gone awry. :(

I'm genuinely sorry, everyone, I thought you all knew I was kidding. I have a lot of respect for all of you and would of course be delighted to see an Apple store open in midtown.

Fiorenza
Jan 19, 2008, 2:19 PM
Seriously, those youth who "hang out" around theatres, malls, etc. will never gain the knowledge and discipline to become successful in today's technological, knowledge-based economy. Many become leeches on the body politic.

Andrea
Jan 19, 2008, 3:16 PM
Seriously, those youth who "hang out" around theatres, malls, etc. will never gain the knowledge and discipline to become successful in today's technological, knowledge-based economy. Many become leeches on the body politic.

Fiorenza, are you telling me you didn't hang out when you were young? Heavens, I still like to hang out and do it at every opportunity!

scania
Jan 19, 2008, 3:46 PM
I would have to disagree completely with you. They are looking for high end retail for Peachtree. The Apple Store is high end retail that the people in the surrounding area can afford. Not to mention their stores just look great. This would look amazing on the corner of Peachtree and 10th St.

http://www.ingens.it/blog/uploaded_images/bigapple-744772.jpg

I'm not sure if you guys know this, but the Apple Store at Lenox Mall is always in the top busiest stores in the country (not including the flagship stores).

BTW Andrea I am not really sure what you are trying to say about the people in Midtown. What is wrong with visiting an Apple Store. Isn't building a store where your customers are the general idea of retail?

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
Would it not be better that Atlanta has the top Apple Store in the country, or 3 Apple Stores within a 20 mile radius? Speaking from experience, I have an Apple computer, ipod, and the new itouch. I was heading to Saks when I purchased the computer, Gucci and Bloomingdale's when I purchased the ipod, and I had a friend to go and pick up the itouch for me. Keep in mind, I live in Midtown and I feel there's no reason that we need an Apple store in Midtown, not saying it wouldn't be nice to have. Some of you make it seem as if the future of the MM starts with an Apple store...Give me a break.

ATLaffinity
Jan 19, 2008, 3:53 PM
scania, i won't rehash pages of debate but Apple is the premier retail destination in the world and so it might be nice to have one. seems like a no-brainer to me. or maybe we'll just get a Chess King and that will be the same.

Trae
Jan 19, 2008, 4:16 PM
Fiorenza, are you telling me you didn't hang out when you were young? Heavens, I still like to hang out and do it at every opportunity!

Fiorenza was a lonely boy. :yes:

littlepnut
Jan 19, 2008, 5:17 PM
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
Would it not be better that Atlanta has the top Apple Store in the country, or 3 Apple Stores within a 20 mile radius? Speaking from experience, I have an Apple computer, ipod, and the new itouch. I was heading to Saks when I purchased the computer, Gucci and Bloomingdale's when I purchased the ipod, and I had a friend to go and pick up the itouch for me. Keep in mind, I live in Midtown and I feel there's no reason that we need an Apple store in Midtown, not saying it wouldn't be nice to have. Some of you make it seem as if the future of the MM starts with an Apple store...Give me a break.

Well you know that the Barnes and Noble at Tech Square sells apple stuff too and its in Midtown...

Fiorenza
Jan 19, 2008, 5:24 PM
Trae -- I hung out with Manuela and her five daughters.