PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Midtown Mile

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

zok
Apr 21, 2008, 3:39 PM
They indeed claim 140 taps and I only found a couple on their list that they were out of. The best for me was Lagunitas Hop Stoopid (more balanced than it sounds) but there are a number of rarities. Since it's a TM, it's non-smoking and it's by far the nicest of their stores I've visited. Great addition to the Midtown Mile!

Trivia: last night tried to figure out which corners along the MM have a building close to all four corners. 14th St and Peachtree Place were the only two we could come up with. Can that be right?

whats the crowd been like so far? I'm going to have to walk down and check it out.

jnihiser
Apr 21, 2008, 4:07 PM
whats the crowd been like so far? I'm going to have to walk down and check it out.

It was packed on Friday night. And.....There were families there.

And of course tons of Tech kids.

Robin22
Apr 23, 2008, 8:22 PM
It was packed on Friday night. And.....There were families there.

And of course tons of Tech kids.

I was there for lunch today at around 12:15-12:30 - the bar was almost full and there was a line for tables.

Very fast service (I had my lunch within 6 minutes at the bar) and the food was good. They have a beer list with 140 beers on tap with over 300 additional beers in bottles.

sabino86
Apr 24, 2008, 8:45 PM
Very fast service (I had my lunch within 6 minutes at the bar) and the food was good. They have a beer list with 140 beers on tap with over 300 additional beers in bottles.

I'll drink to that (Newcastle of course) :cheers:

chubbydecker
Apr 24, 2008, 9:54 PM
looked like the "KISS" boutique near the Vortex has closed... or maybe it was just boarded up from being robbed again by the blue jean bandit...

CenterSquare
Apr 25, 2008, 4:40 PM
I saw this news just posted today on the 1010 Midtown website.

Atlanta’s Retail Market Tops The List
Posted on Friday, April 25th, 2008
Women’s Wear Daily published an article ranking the top 10 U.S. metro areas in terms of their retail markets. Our wonderful city of Atlanta, which seems to top many national lists, is #4. And, even better, the Midtown Mile and 12th & Midtown projects were specifically cited as major contributing factors to Atlanta’s high placement. These projects have almost single-handedly made Atlanta one of the strongest retail markets in terms of future growth in the nation. The Midtown Mile, known as the “Rodeo Drive of Atlanta,”is going to be nothing but high-end retailer after high-end retailer at street level on Peachtree Street. Apparently tenants like Oscar de la Renta, Hermes and Bottega Veneta have already signed on to have locations on the Midtown Mile.

As for 12th & Midtown, it is basically the cornerstone project on the Midtown Mile. Offering residential, retail, office and hotel space, 12th & Midtown has it all. The residential development of this massive Atlanta project, which will change Atlanta’s retail economy indefinitely, is 1010 Midtown. Now offering pre-sales, this extraordinary community features new condos in Midtown with unique floorplans and breathtaking views. So, if you want to live in the middle of Atlanta’s new retail district that has given Atlanta the #4 strongest retail market in the nation, look no further than these luxurious condos at 1010 Midtown.

SAV
Apr 25, 2008, 5:08 PM
um, I Think They have the midtown Mile confused with SOB

GTviajero81
Apr 25, 2008, 5:18 PM
Wow, that's pretty sad that the writer of this article didn't do enough research about a city as large as ours on the disparity between SOB and MM.

tdawg
Apr 25, 2008, 5:40 PM
And it's strange that 1010 would post what they know to be an article chock full of errors.

ATLaffinity
Apr 25, 2008, 6:58 PM
there's no quote there.

sounds like the 1010 people just made that up. i'd be surprised if the WWD article wasn't talking about SOB.

The Midtown Mile, known as the “Rodeo Drive of Atlanta,”is going to be nothing but high-end retailer after high-end retailer at street level on Peachtree Street... anchored by Taco Mac.

sprtsluvr8
Apr 25, 2008, 8:34 PM
there's no quote there.

sounds like the 1010 people just made that up. i'd be surprised if the WWD article wasn't talking about SOB.

The Midtown Mile, known as the “Rodeo Drive of Atlanta,”is going to be nothing but high-end retailer after high-end retailer at street level on Peachtree Street... anchored by Taco Mac.

The article was definitely referring to the SOB, not Midtown. The description is all SOB...it certainly makes the article less than credible. :)

NativeAtlantan
Apr 25, 2008, 8:35 PM
tdawg, good point....looks like MM is trying to compete with SOB instead of going down a notch in target markets....

CenterSquare
Apr 26, 2008, 1:21 AM
I thought the news sounded like SOB too. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that thought the 1010 news update was a little off.
By the way... I was at Taco Mac tonight and the place is doing gang busters. Its a rarity to see people waiting to be seated on the MM. They didn't seem to be hurting Vortex or Gordon Biersch either.
The now closed Sweet Lowdown is opening soon as another restaurant called Artistry. Their banner says Food, Art, Music. Got to have a gimick.

SAV
Apr 26, 2008, 2:03 PM
Is Atlanta really #4 in terms of retail

john3eblover
Apr 26, 2008, 3:20 PM
I highly doubt it

Trae
Apr 26, 2008, 3:28 PM
Is Atlanta really #4 in terms of retail
Doubt it.

BabydaddyATL
Apr 26, 2008, 3:36 PM
Atlanta is #4 in terms of retail growth. Remember Atlanta was the fastest growing metro in the country from 2000 - 2006. Atlanta is #1 for growth in high income families.

ATLaffinity
Apr 26, 2008, 5:47 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if ATL punches above its weight in retail.

we're pretty much the only game in the whole region so retail concentrates here.

jobe
Apr 27, 2008, 3:16 AM
there's no quote there.

By placing that on their site, it looks like 1010 is trying to pass it off as legit, even though it clearly isn't. How very odd of them.

smArTaLlone
May 25, 2008, 9:51 PM
apple to AS would be a disaster for the Midtown Mile.

anyone heard any news about the new Whole Foods location? they were asking for people to be surveyed a couple of months ago.

the obvious location to me is north midtown. Whole Foods (like Apple) would ignite the MM.

I think Apple is one store that could give a Peachtree shopping district some traction but not the only one.

Maybe this is overly optimistic but they did say they needed 10 retailers to fill Phase I while there are 14 spaces, not including the bank.

"Gouffon said she needs about 10 retailers to fill Phase I of 12th & Midtown, which includes 50,000 square feet of retail. She's also looking for a flagship tenant for a 30,000-square-foot build-out in 999 Peachtree that could be up to three stories tall."

The 999 Peachtree build-out sounds like an ideal location for an Apple store like the one in Boston.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2287/2490246681_a8e5d9ab30_b.jpg

ATLaffinity
May 26, 2008, 5:55 PM
I think Apple is one store that could give a Peachtree shopping district some traction but not the only one.

Maybe this is overly optimistic but they did say they needed 10 retailers to fill Phase I while there are 14 spaces, not including the bank.

"Gouffon said she needs about 10 retailers to fill Phase I of 12th & Midtown, which includes 50,000 square feet of retail. She's also looking for a flagship tenant for a 30,000-square-foot build-out in 999 Peachtree that could be up to three stories tall."

The 999 Peachtree build-out sounds like an ideal location for an Apple store like the one in Boston.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2287/2490246681_a8e5d9ab30_b.jpg

i agree with your 999 thoughts. especially since they get to build it out. the glass facade you showed would look great on 999.

but i still think Apple is the only retail store that would also act as a destination and increase foot traffic. you could put Tiffany, Cartier and Gucci next to each other on the MM and it wouldn't draw many people.

Fiorenza
May 26, 2008, 7:09 PM
This is the sort of nice security that's needed by Atlanta-area dress shops and jeans shops (compliments of poster TinChelseaNYC):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2301/2523425382_240616476a_b.jpg

sprtsluvr8
May 26, 2008, 7:26 PM
This is the sort of nice security that's needed by Atlanta-area dress shops and jeans shops (compliments of poster TinChelseaNYC):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2301/2523425382_240616476a_b.jpg

They have that kind of security throughout the Downtown retail areas, but I think there is a stigma associated with security gates. Many people see them and think "dangerous area", much like the stigma of burglar bars in residential areas. If they could be designed to be less noticeable or at least more attractive I think they would be more popular and accepted.

joey
May 26, 2008, 7:42 PM
Well, on newer buildings, they could be located behind the façade, either in front of or behind the glass, depending on how recessed the glazing is from the front.

Andrea
May 26, 2008, 9:24 PM
but i still think Apple is the only retail store that would also act as a destination and increase foot traffic. you could put Tiffany, Cartier and Gucci next to each other on the MM and it wouldn't draw many people.

It's totally crazy that Midtown is such an Apple kind of place, yet the company keeps sticking its stores in much smaller and less sophisticated cities like Jacksonville, Birmingham and Louisville (sorry, no offense intended), and in malls way out in Buford. What's their strategy?

smArTaLlone
May 27, 2008, 7:43 PM
Well, on newer buildings, they could be located behind the façade, either in front of or behind the glass, depending on how recessed the glazing is from the front.

Most of them have already done this.

civilexpert
Jun 5, 2008, 2:35 PM
I highly doubt the developers have added more parking than required for their buidings. I wonder where all the midtown mile weekenders from the suburbs will park? Bank of America or bellsouth maybe?

www.civiltips.com (http://www.civiltips.com)

dirtybird
Jun 27, 2008, 4:38 AM
Got a "Notice of Public Hearing" in the mail today:

"An Ordinance by Zoning Committee granting a special use permit for the transfer of excess development density from property located at 990 Peachtree Street (sending parcel), to property located at 1138 Peachtree Street (receiving parcel)."

I guess the Mandarin Oriental project is starting to move forward?

sabino86
Jul 1, 2008, 5:02 PM

"An Ordinance by Zoning Committee granting a special use permit for the transfer of excess development density from property located at 990 Peachtree Street (sending parcel), to property located at 1138 Peachtree Street (receiving parcel)."

:fingerscrossed:

gttx
Jul 1, 2008, 7:24 PM

When is the hearing?

dirtybird
Jul 2, 2008, 8:03 PM
When is the hearing?

I threw away the mail but I think it said July 10th, either 6pm or 9pm?

Is a hearing pretty much the beginning step of the project (unless, of course, the density transfer is denied)?

trainiac
Jul 14, 2008, 5:21 PM
Saw some workers today inside the former French Kiss store near 8th St but didn't see any indication of what's going in there.

Took a look inside Artistry, they've done a nice job with the new interior. Curious to see how the upstairs turned out. Couldn't find anybody to take a look at the menu, so still no clue what they do yet.

Has anyone heard any rumors or hints or anything about what might be going into Viewpoint? How about a Hallmark store? Or a someplace with a great magazine selection (still missing Joe Muggs)? How about a Cook's Warehouse or Williams-Sonoma?

chubbydecker
Jul 14, 2008, 8:27 PM
Has anyone heard any rumors or hints or anything about what might be going into Viewpoint? How about a Hallmark store? Or a someplace with a great magazine selection (still missing Joe Muggs)? How about a Cook's Warehouse or Williams-Sonoma?

The former Backstreet site hosting a Williams-Sonoma store... now that would be depressing:yuck:

RobMidtowner
Jul 15, 2008, 6:13 PM
:previous: I like the idea of a Williams Sonoma there because of all the specialty foods they sell. Midtown is really lacking in specialty grocery stores.

SteveD
Jul 16, 2008, 2:27 AM
Jeez...I went into the Cook's Warehouse in Decatur last week. $250 pots?? No sir, not for me. Who spends $250 on a pot? And it was on sale!

Terminus
Jul 16, 2008, 12:32 PM
Jeez...I went into the Cook's Warehouse in Decatur last week. $250 pots?? No sir, not for me. Who spends $250 on a pot? And it was on sale!

I did, even as a relatively broke recent college grad. My parents taught me early that for pots and knives you buy something quality that last a lifetime.

All Clad is the way to go :)

echinatl
Jul 16, 2008, 12:59 PM

You get what you pay for!

Andrea
Jul 16, 2008, 3:31 PM
They're not fancy but I'm a big fan of the commercial vendors like Restaurant Depot (http://restaurantdepot1-px.rtrk.com/Home.asp) and Atlanta Fixture (http://www.atlantafixture.com/homepage.aspx). You can get professional grade stuff for a fraction of what consumer retailers charge.

SteveD
Jul 16, 2008, 11:59 PM
of course you can. I can get a quality pot that will last a lifetime for 1/10th that. Of course, if you want to spend $250 on a pot, go for it.

Harry Cane
Jul 17, 2008, 12:05 PM
Well, from the today's AJC.

The first of the 1010 retail tenants have been announced. Four different restaurants have signed on:

Ri Ra Irish Pub
RA Sushi
Piola Italian
Noon Midtown--soups, salads, sandwiches

More retail tenants expected to be announced in the next few months. They will be similar to the eateries in that they will be trendy and new to Atlanta.

ATLaffinity
Jul 17, 2008, 12:33 PM

The first of the 1010 retail tenants have been announced. Four different restaurants have signed on:

Ri Ra Irish Pub
RA Sushi
Piola Italian

More retail tenants expected to be announced in the next few months. They will be similar to the eateries in that they will be trendy and new to Atlanta.

i hope the retail holds a little more excitement. 1010 is supposed to be this high-end building. at least they price their units that way.

i'm glad to see these places coming but if the retail ends up being like Williams Sonoma, Ann Taylor and Guess, then there's no point in having a "Midtown Mile". that's pretty much what we'd get without a joint effort among all these properties.

AtlMidtowner
Jul 17, 2008, 12:43 PM
i hope the retail holds a little more excitement. 1010 is supposed to be this high-end building. at least they price their units that way.

i'm glad to see these places coming but if the retail ends up being like Williams Sonoma, Ann Taylor and Guess, then there's no point in having a "Midtown Mile". that's pretty much what we'd get without a joint effort among all these properties.

1010 is NOT high end. The prices are $300-$600 per square foot. Mandarin Oriental (if it every gets off the ground), and the Museum Tower will be the midtown high-end condos, but 1010 is not even as expensive as the planned Trump Tower or the LUXE. Its obviously more expensive the the mid-rises or the older highrises.

Its disappointing to see nothing but restaurants opening up. I dont believe there are enough people living here to sustain so many restaurants!

Tombstoner
Jul 17, 2008, 12:45 PM
of course you can. I can get a quality pot that will last a lifetime for 1/10th that. Of course, if you want to spend $250 on a pot, go for it.

I do not assume that expensive = quality, but with pots, quality does indeed count and you cannot get a quality pot for $25. As a young man (a child, really ;)) I paid about $200 for a set of three German-made enamelled pots 25 years ago (a fortune to me then) and apart from the one that my first wife took with her (:hell:) they are still in great shape (and they get a LOT of use). Conversely, I've gone through lots of nice-but-cheaper stuff in those 25 years. It's not a question of whether a pot will physically exist for a lifetime, but the way the pot will cook. Most pots are crap in 10 years.

ATLaffinity
Jul 17, 2008, 12:53 PM
1010 is NOT high end. The prices are $300-$600 per square foot. Mandarin Oriental (if it every gets off the ground), and the Museum Tower will be the midtown high-end condos, but 1010 is not even as expensive as the planned Trump Tower or the LUXE. Its obviously more expensive the the mid-rises or the older highrises.

Its disappointing to see nothing but restaurants opening up. I dont believe there are enough people living here to sustain so many restaurants!

ok, "higher" end. even $300sf is really high in the midtown market. 1010 is situating themselves as highed end than ViewPoint, Spire, Metroplis, etc. MO and One Museum (we have a Museum Tower :) ) will certainly be the luxury properties but they aren't here.

the restaurants aren't very exciting, but the place will have a lot of residents so maybe they will do well.

AtlMidtowner
Jul 17, 2008, 1:04 PM
ok, "higher" end. even $300sf is really high in the midtown market. 1010 is situating themselves as highed end than ViewPoint, Spire, Metroplis, etc. MO and One Museum (we have a Museum Tower :) ) will certainly be the luxury properties but they aren't here.

the restaurants aren't very exciting, but the place will have a lot of residents so maybe they will do well.

I guess, at this point, it is higher end for Midtown compared to the existing buildings, as the truly high-end Midtown highrises are still dirt pits and parking lots.

I am not doubting that 1010 is more than most of the condos in Midtown, but high-end means high-end, and in Atlanta, high end condos such as the Sovereign, The Mansion, the St. Regis in Buckhead, and the planned the Museum Tower and the Mandarin Oriental, have prices and expected price of $900-$1200 per square foot, or 2-3 times the price of 1010. The target market for 1010 is still the 25-40 professionals, not the weathly.

I hope lots of restaurants survive in Midtown. I prefer to be able to walk.

Andrea
Jul 17, 2008, 1:09 PM
I do not assume that expensive = quality, but with pots, quality does indeed count and you cannot get a quality pot for $25. As a young man (a child, really ;)) I paid about $200 for a set of three German-made enamelled pots 25 years ago (a fortune to me then) and apart from the one that my first wife took with her (:hell:) they are still in great shape (and they get a LOT of use). Conversely, I've gone through lots of nice-but-cheaper stuff in those 25 years. It's not a question of whether a pot will physically exist for a lifetime, but the way the pot will cook. Most pots are crap in 10 years.

I completely agree. Although I still have my Great-Grandma's cornbread skillet, which is going strong after 120 years.

joey
Jul 17, 2008, 1:22 PM

Ri Ra Irish Pub

I don't know that Ri Ra is particularly trendy. It's more known up here as the place that doesn't card 18-year-olds.

atl2phx
Jul 17, 2008, 1:56 PM

RA Sushi

ra sushi might be one of the best fits yet for dining/bar to hit the MM.

they're a well managed, trendy, affordable and mainstream sushi resturaunt and bar.

i'm not suprised they chose 1010 to launch their first atlanta/southeast location.

kamden99
Jul 17, 2008, 2:49 PM
I was talking to my wife the other day about the need for more restaurants within walking distance (nothing against the Vortex and F2O)...now I'll have 4 more options!! It totally makes since to have the restaurants fronting Crescent with the Peachtree retail reserved for shopping, etc.

I'm most excited about the Irish pub...can't wait! :tup: Hopefully, the sushi place will be more successful than the one that was on the ground level of Spire. That place didn't last very long, and is now kind of an eye sore on the building.

BTW - I'm going to the newly opened Steamhouse Lounge tonight (in the former Element space at 11th/W.Peachtree)...hope it's as good as the original version in Buckhead.

trainiac
Jul 17, 2008, 5:42 PM
I'm most excited about the Irish pub...can't wait! :tup: Hopefully, the sushi place will be more successful than the one that was on the ground level of Spire. That place didn't last very long, and is now kind of an eye sore on the building.

That place was *terrible*

BTW - I'm going to the newly opened Steamhouse Lounge tonight (in the former Element space at 11th/W.Peachtree)...hope it's as good as the original version in Buckhead.

You'll have to let us know. Hopefully they'll have a nice big patio like the old one. That was about the only place I liked to hang out in Buckhead after John Harvard's and the Beer Garten closed.

hokiehigh
Jul 17, 2008, 5:49 PM
The original Ri Ra in Uptown Charlotte is actually really nice/fun. It's pretty much the same as Fado's.

dirtybird
Jul 17, 2008, 6:40 PM
...I'm going to the newly opened Steamhouse Lounge tonight (in the former Element space at 11th/W.Peachtree)...hope it's as good as the original version in Buckhead.

I think the quality is a little better than the original. Upstairs patio is awesome.

AtlMidtowner
Jul 18, 2008, 12:40 AM

Ri Ra Irish Pub
RA Sushi
Piola Italian

Also in the article, the Selig leasing agent said the retail side will NOT be mass-marketed retail type stores!! Wonder exacted what that was intended to mean!

kamden99
Jul 18, 2008, 12:50 AM
I think the quality is a little better than the original. Upstairs patio is awesome.

What an excellent addition to the neighborhood! My wife and I had a great time (I got the Frogmore Skillet...good stuff!) and will definitely be going back. We ate inside, but the patio is definitely the place to be!

After years of turnover, I think this building finally has itself a keeper! :cheers:

Fiorenza
Jul 18, 2008, 12:56 AM
the Selig leasing agent said the retail side will NOT be mass-marketed retail type stores

It'll be fun being there, when there's a there there.

Harry Cane
Jul 18, 2008, 12:48 PM
Also in the article, the Selig leasing agent said the retail side will NOT be mass-marketed retail type stores!! Wonder exacted what that was intended to mean!

Yeah, I wonder what that means too. Is it because they want to create a one-of-a-kind retail area with local stores, or more likely, with stores not yet in the Atlanta area, or is it because they haven't been able to sign on national retailers like Gap or Williams Sonoma?

If they're holding out for the Louis Vuittons of the world they might have a long wait, although I'd like to be proven wrong.

Atlantan26
Jul 18, 2008, 2:13 PM
i think what selig is referring to is that you will see no "gap" or "banana republic" and more stores like you find on robertson in LA. Maybe we'll get a Fred Segal! ;)

AtlMidtowner
Jul 19, 2008, 6:02 PM
i think what selig is referring to is that you will see no "gap" or "banana republic" and more stores like you find on robertson in LA. Maybe we'll get a Fred Segal! ;)

I hope the retail doesnt look like the retail at Aqua!! Have their been any succesful retail stores so far on Midtown Mile? Really worries me!!!:(

I look forward to having a real live, work, play AND SHOP neighborhood. We still have to drive 2-5 miles for real shopping.

phantom
Jul 21, 2008, 5:47 PM
Saw some workers today inside the former French Kiss store near 8th St but didn't see any indication of what's going in there.

I note they've a new sign up at the former French Kiss: "Runway". I assume that means it'll be another clothier.

I hope whoever moves into the former Spotted Dog can make a better go of it. The space is gorgeous & excellently placed, but the food was no better than "bleah", and the beer selection pretty small. I only just noticed it was closed (& for sale) this weekend, and I live 1/2 block away!

kamden99
Jul 21, 2008, 9:52 PM
I note they've a new sign up at the former French Kiss: "Runway". I assume that means it'll be another clothier.

I hope whoever moves into the former Spotted Dog can make a better go of it. The space is gorgeous & excellently placed, but the food was no better than "bleah", and the beer selection pretty small. I only just noticed it was closed (& for sale) this weekend, and I live 1/2 block away!

With the economy the way it is right now, if you're serving mediocre food, you're not going to stay in business quite as long as you would have a few years ago...while it sucks to have some vacant spaces around town, I imagine those spaces will fill in soon enough.

If Cousins ever gets around to developing The Premiere at Fox Plaza, that part of the Midtown Mile will get going (and you can bet that the old Spotted Dog location will get snatched up soon thereafter). Until then, we'll just have to endure some empty buildings and vacant grassy lots. :yuck:

Beehan
Jul 22, 2008, 5:09 AM

I get the impression that many Atlantans eat out... a LOT. True? My realtor was saying that's all people do, is eat out, like all.. the.. time!

Andrea
Jul 22, 2008, 12:52 PM
I get the impression that many Atlantans eat out... a LOT. True? My realtor was saying that's all people do, is eat out, like all.. the.. time!

Not me or my friends. We're a bunch of homebodies.

echinatl
Jul 22, 2008, 2:03 PM
The food at spotted dog was TERRIBLE. I went there about 8 times and kept giving them chances and it was consistently bad. The focus for me though was always drinking, and it was a cool place to hang out at.

Me and my friends eat out often, at least 2 times a week.

shanthemanatl
Jul 22, 2008, 3:40 PM

I believe I have read, Beehan, that Atlantans do eat out more (per capita) than any other city in the country.

trainiac
Jul 22, 2008, 8:22 PM
OK, this is just a little south of the Midtown Mile, but The Reynolds (corner of Linden & Peachtree) is finally getting its first restaurant. The Dogwood is doing their soft opening this weekend

http://www.dogwoodrestaurant.com/

kamden99
Jul 22, 2008, 11:53 PM
is going to be a clothing store. They have begun doing interior work to get it ready for a Fall/Winter opening. I hope it does well.

For those not familiar with the location, 805 Peachtree is a block south of ViewPoint. The retail in question is between SPACE and Ligne Roset, two very modern furniture stores.

Beehan
Jul 24, 2008, 6:29 AM
I believe I have read, Beehan, that Atlantans do eat out more (per capita) than any other city in the country.

Ah well, that's much better than, say, having the most air conditioners per capita than any other city (I'm lookin at YOU, Houston!).

jpk1292000
Jul 24, 2008, 12:00 PM
I think a Crate and Barrel 2 (http://www.cb2.com/) would be perfect for the Midtown Mile. It's hip, urban and it's a store that doesn't exist anywhere else in the Atlanta area so it would be a destination store more than a store like a Banana Republic that has 10 stores in metro Atlanta already. I think that the key to Midtown Mile's success lies in having a substantial number of stores that are unique to Atlanta or flagships of stores that are unique to Atlanta...like a fancy Apple store that is way hipper than any in the malls.

ATLaffinity
Jul 24, 2008, 2:58 PM
so is that Michael (Woodfire) Touhy's brother who's opening Dogwood?

what clothing store is going in the Kartell location?

smArTaLlone
Jul 24, 2008, 3:20 PM
I think a Crate and Barrel 2 (http://www.cb2.com/) would be perfect for the Midtown Mile. It's hip, urban and it's a store that doesn't exist anywhere else in the Atlanta area so it would be a destination store more than a store like a Banana Republic that has 10 stores in metro Atlanta already. I think that the key to Midtown Mile's success lies in having a substantial number of stores that are unique to Atlanta or flagships of stores that are unique to Atlanta...like a fancy Apple store that is way hipper than any in the malls.

I've heard Room & Board compared to them. Hopefully Room & Board will wind up somewhere on Peachtree just to begin to build some retail synergy.

Also at the opening of the Perimeter location, Zara indicated that they were looking at opening a third Atlanta location. :fingerscrossed:

Harry Cane
Jul 24, 2008, 8:01 PM
Zara is already open at Perimeter? Wow, that was fast.

I have to admit, I had my doubts about how they would do in Atlanta. I wasn't sure the luxury wing of Lenox was the right place for them to be.

smArTaLlone
Jul 24, 2008, 9:01 PM
Zara is already open at Perimeter? Wow, that was fast.

I have to admit, I had my doubts about how they would do in Atlanta. I wasn't sure the luxury wing of Lenox was the right place for them to be.

I meant when they announced the Perimeter store.

Btw I noticed something called Suite Atlanta going in the Metropolis building. Anyone know what that is?

dirtybird
Jul 25, 2008, 2:48 PM
Btw I noticed something called Suite Atlanta going in the Metropolis building. Anyone know what that is?

Where did you see that?

joey
Jul 25, 2008, 4:27 PM
I just read an interesting paper entitled "Close Encounters with Buildings" from 2004, discussing how to build new or adapt old buildings that were designed with "35-mph architecture" into having "3-mph architecture."

A lot of what's suggested in the article is already in the Midtown zoning, though much of it is limited only to so-called "storefront streets," but it's an interesting read nonetheless. And a few of the before-and-afters show what kinds of changes can be made to Brutalist Pei-style buildings to preserve their general style while better engaging the street.

http://dau049.poliba.it/admin/doxer/doc/67_1164451995.pdf

It's worth a 5-minute skim.

trainiac
Jul 25, 2008, 7:23 PM
I just read an interesting paper entitled "Close Encounters with Buildings" from 2004, discussing how to build new or adapt old buildings that were designed with "35-mph architecture" into having "3-mph architecture."

A lot of what's suggested in the article is already in the Midtown zoning, though much of it is limited only to so-called "storefront streets," but it's an interesting read nonetheless. And a few of the before-and-afters show what kinds of changes can be made to Brutalist Pei-style buildings to preserve their general style while better engaging the street.

http://dau049.poliba.it/admin/doxer/doc/67_1164451995.pdf

It's worth a 5-minute skim.

Thanks for posting this. That facade map on page 11 looks like it would be an interesting project to do for downtown or midtown.

smArTaLlone
Jul 25, 2008, 7:36 PM
Where did you see that?

On the Shopping Center Group website.

The Business Chronicle reports that Equinox, a high-end fitness club out of NY, is close to signing a deal to locate in the Campanile building.

Atlantan26
Jul 25, 2008, 11:10 PM
On the Shopping Center Group website.

The Business Chronicle reports that Equinox, a high-end fitness club out of NY, is close to signing a deal to locate in the Campanile building.

hmm i wonder if it will go into the existing building or into the new build out they are planning. :rolleyes:

Fiorenza
Jul 25, 2008, 11:35 PM
Just what Midtown needs...another fitness club! :)

Andrea
Jul 26, 2008, 3:06 AM
Are there a bunch of them there already?

Fiorenza
Jul 26, 2008, 4:50 AM
There's one right across the street.

Andrea
Jul 26, 2008, 10:28 AM
Well, that hardly sounds like they're overrun.

tdawg
Jul 26, 2008, 10:58 AM
Equinox is not your typical fitness club. i belong here in NY and it would be great to be able to work out when visiting Atlanta.

LoveAtlanta
Jul 26, 2008, 9:03 PM
equinox is another club that wanst to take your money and they have fat executives who have 0 passion towards fitness.
equinox is same as every club they just put high end furniture and plasma tv everywhere

Beehan
Jul 27, 2008, 7:21 PM
Lol it's almost as if, when you go there, you don't have to work out at all! They should just throw in a baseball park-style concession stand and play movies all day :haha:

littlepnut
Jul 31, 2008, 1:45 PM
Hey was wondering if anyone knows any news of the Retail Tenants at 1010!!

smArTaLlone
Jul 31, 2008, 9:03 PM
Four restaurants have been announced for the Crescent frontage.

Ri Ra Irush Pub, RA Sushi, Piola and Noon Midtown

Here's what a forumer posted yesterday reguarding the Peachtree frontage.

On another note, 1010 is releasing its retail info Thursday night at a party in Seligs office building.

littlepnut
Jul 31, 2008, 11:10 PM
Ok but what about retail

Beehan
Aug 1, 2008, 2:48 PM

Any word from this alleged announcement at "a party in Seligs office building" on Thursday night?

Harry Cane
Aug 1, 2008, 5:22 PM
Strange that there's no press release or announcement on AJC or ABC.

Are we sure there was a party, or did we work ourselves up over a false rumor?

smArTaLlone
Aug 1, 2008, 8:15 PM
Obviously there was some misinterpretation of what was actually planned last night.

mayhem
Aug 6, 2008, 10:31 AM
Fresh 2 Order, Firehouse Subs, and Z Pizza have been doing pretty well from what I can tell. Twelve Boutique closed down recently and I must say GOOD RIDDANCE. We really don't need stores like that to keep an active mile going.

I eat out about 3 meals/day, 7 days a week.

echinatl
Aug 6, 2008, 1:56 PM

SOMEONE needs a nice set of pots and pans for xmas this year :yes:

sabino86
Aug 7, 2008, 1:53 AM

I'm usually stuck with mac & cheese and Bagel Bites. Gotta love that college student budget... :rolleyes:

mayhem
Aug 7, 2008, 7:56 PM
SOMEONE needs a nice set of pots and pans for xmas this year :yes:

I have a full set and a grille on the roof, it just ends up being cheaper for me to eat out cause I'd usually be cooking for one and I am in and out of town a lot. A lot of groceries I buy end up going bad.

dirtybird
Sep 5, 2008, 4:13 AM
Friday, September 5, 2008
Atlanta Business Chronicle - by Douglas Sams Staff Writer

InterContinental Hotels Group Plc will put a new hotel in the planned 1400 Peachtree project at Peachtree and 17th streets, giving momentum to what its developers call the northern Gateway to Midtown.

Atlanta-based land investor Shailendra Group LLC and real estate investment firm Jamestown just hired world-renowned architectural firm Skidmore, Owings and Merrill LLP to design 1400 Peachtree.

Skidmore, Owings and Merrill’s designs have reshaped skylines from the East Coast to the Middle East, including Chicago’s Sears Tower, the tallest building in North America (see related story below).

Shailendra and Jamestown want 1400 Peachtree to be an architectural gem among Midtown’s signature buildings that already include Hines’ 1180 Peachtree and One Atlantic Center.

Shailendra and Jamestown teamed up in 2006 to announce 1400 Peachtree, a blend of class A offices, condos, upscale stores and a 225-room hotel.

Landing the InterContinental and picking Skidmore Owings & Merrill mark the first big news at 1400 Peachtree.

InterContinental, an elite player in luxury hospitality, should help city boosters create the proposed Midtown Mile, several blocks of upscale arts and shopping they hope one day rivals Chicago’s North Michigan Avenue.

“This is a chance for a high-end hotel group to take its brand even higher,” said Shailendra Group’s John Robbins, who oversees the development. “This is a big step because InterContinental is already a major player in the market.”

Atlanta-based InterContinental Hotels Group owns the InterContinental Buckhead, one of only three hotels in Atlanta that hold Five Diamond ratings. The others are Midtown’s Four Seasons Hotel Atlanta, The Ritz-Carlton Buckhead and The Ritz-Carlton Atlanta.

The InterContinental, rumored for months to be considering Midtown, would join one of Atlanta’s ritziest hotel markets. Its only rival is Buckhead, the city’s financial center.

For years, Midtown was only served by the Four Seasons Hotel Atlanta, but its luxury hotel market has blossomed.

W Atlanta Midtown opened this spring. Hotel Palomar Atlanta will open in 2009 and the Loews Atlanta Hotel in 2010.

The Mandarin Oriental Hotel, which could be a step up the luxury scale, is eyeing a site at 1138 Peachtree St. Atlanta Business Chronicle reported in April 2007 that Tivoli Properties Inc. is expected to develop the Mandarin.

Trump Towers has also considered adding a hotel to its project.

In landing InterContinental, Shailendra and Jamestown can now assemble the other essential pieces for its high-end mixed-use development: large corporate office tenants, upscale retail chains and boutiques and wealthy residents.

The progression of 1400 Peachtree is central to the development of Midtown, the city’s arts and entertainment district and home to its largest and most prestigious law firms.

Despite the economic slowdown and strict lending standards, Shailendra and Jamestown are expected to have the financial power to pull off the project. Jamestown invests German money in U.S. real estate and is a major player in New York. The developers may not break ground on 1400 Peachtree before 2010. They want to wrap up an initial concept for the project within 90 days.

At least two options are on the table: one tower that combines all facets of the development, including the hotel; and another design would call for two towers.

“At this point, we can only say that the design phase is under way,” Robbins said. “The phasing of the project is a long way from being determined.”

Reach Sams at dsams@bizjournals.com.

Harry Cane
Sep 5, 2008, 10:31 AM
Very good news indeed. Although I hope this is soon confirmed by the parties involved. As best as I can remember, they announced the Mandarin a few months ago (maybe even a year ago) and still, no word from Mandarin.

I always get this and the other 17th street project confused. Is this the one we saw renderings for that looked very 12th and Peachtree? I can't wait to see what the 'architectural gem' looks like.

gttx
Sep 5, 2008, 3:10 PM
Very good news indeed. Although I hope this is soon confirmed by the parties involved. As best as I can remember, they announced the Mandarin a few months ago (maybe even a year ago) and still, no word from Mandarin.

I always get this and the other 17th street project confused. Is this the one we saw renderings for that looked very 12th and Peachtree? I can't wait to see what the 'architectural gem' looks like.

Two things:
1) The Mandarin was originally announced in October or November of 2006 - yikes!
2) No renderings have yet been released for this project

DSGB
Sep 5, 2008, 4:40 PM
I have a feeling that this going to be the new tallest.

jpk1292000
Sep 5, 2008, 5:40 PM
I have a feeling that this going to be the new tallest.

I hope so, but it certainly won't be a new tallest if they break it into two buildings. My guess is that they won't, and it will be one building 50-55 stories tall, 700-800 feet. I'm dying to see the renderings when they're complete.

gttx
Sep 5, 2008, 6:37 PM
Too bad it will be another 90 days at least