PDA

View Full Version : Status of a Building

M. Klatt
Sep 17, 2003, 11:17 AM
What Status has this Building - now?

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=20221

It was planned,
construction started,
Half the way up they ran out of money ....
they stopped the construction ( it never reached the proposed height )

now the teeth of time do their job...

what is it? on-hold? built? cancelled? unconfirmed?

John Hinds
Sep 17, 2003, 11:35 AM
If they have plans to finish sometime in the future it should be Oh Hold.

But if they aren't ever going to finish it then you should draw it as it looks now (rename it to something like Unfinished TV Tower) and say that it is Built.

BTW why have you said it is a ride?

M. Klatt
Sep 17, 2003, 11:39 AM
just follow the Link i gave in the Building page ...

they climb on it and "Basejump" ... - i think this is a kind of "ride" - isn't it?

I don't think they will finish the Tower - but "on-hold" would not match with the definition of "on-hold" given by Dylan:

Status - Here is a description of each status:
- Built: construction has been finished and building has not been destroyed,
- Construction: building is presently under-construction,
- Proposed: building presently does not exist but its construction is actively being planned,
- On-hold: building was at one time proposed, but its construction is not actively being planned,
- Destroyed: building existed at one time but has been demolished,
- Cancelled: building was at one time proposed, but plans have been cancelled and building will never be built,
- Vision: building design was created by an architect as a vision for future design, no plans to be built,
- Fantasy: building design was created by one of our Illustrators, no plans of ever being built.

John Hinds
Sep 17, 2003, 12:13 PM
Unless someone has bought it and got a licence to legaly allow basejumping from it, it isn't an intended use of the structure soit shouldn't be counted.

You can basejump from anything but I don't think any structure has be built or is used just for basejumping.

And I think in that On Hold description Dylan is talking about buildings that haven't started construction at all. (Projects that ran out of money before construction even started, but the developer is still trying to find more money)

Jorge Cuitlahuac
Sep 18, 2003, 12:30 AM
I ever thought that "on-hold" is a structure/building in a status like this tower.

Kelvin
Sep 18, 2003, 1:04 AM
Again, perhaps we need "Abondoned", sorry I mean "Abandoned".

This would be for structures which have started construction but not been completed and are without the foreseeable resources in which to complete them.

Born Pure Philly
Sep 18, 2003, 1:13 AM
can we add condemned to the list too?

Jorge Cuitlahuac
Sep 18, 2003, 1:18 AM
I disagree, even with the word Kelvin, by example:

Here in ZM Guadalajara there are a mega temple (http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=19744) and a big sculpture (http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=8175) that are "on hold". And they are guarded by polices all the day.

Kelvin
Sep 18, 2003, 2:43 AM
There would still be an "On Hold" category which can pertain to structures either due to start construction or under construction, but experience unexpected delay in completion for what ever reason. It could be labour strikes, financial shortcoming, etc. As long as there is reasonable expection that construction will commence or will commence again, then it's "On Hold"

If however, the there is no reason to expect that construction will ever be complete, then it is well and truely "Abandoned".

"Cancelled" should only be for those projects which never got started in the first place.

M. Klatt
Sep 27, 2003, 7:55 PM
so what is this russian TV Tower :???:

cancelled as TV Tower?
built as ruin?

john doe
Sep 29, 2003, 3:03 AM
I think we need an 'abandoned' catagory.

john doe
Sep 29, 2003, 3:03 AM
I think we need an 'abandoned ruin' catagory. or

John Hinds
Sep 29, 2003, 9:22 AM
You could upload it twice.
Once as a ruin, and once as a cancelled Tv Tower.

Jorge Cuitlahuac
Sep 30, 2003, 12:59 AM
:hmmm: Why not "Ruin" as a status; between "Built" and "Destroyed".

Kelvin
Sep 30, 2003, 2:24 AM
Technically almost all buildings are somewhere between "built" (following construction) and "destroyed" (prior to demolition) ;)

Dylan Leblanc
Sep 30, 2003, 2:46 AM
The dificulty of adding all these extra status types to the database right now is that they will interfear with some of the existing categories. I can't really add anything until I do a bit of an overhaul of this sub-system.

But, when I do get around to doing this it is good to know of all possibilities. So continue :)

fever
Sep 30, 2003, 3:09 AM
How about using the term 'vacant' to describe all buildings that aren't occupied, completed, actively under construction, about to continue construction, or slated for demolition, but that remain structurally sound (ie. not ruins). 'Abandoned' implies that the status is more or less permanent. 'Vacant' seems more general, to me at least.

Jorge Cuitlahuac
Oct 1, 2003, 12:21 AM
Technically almost all buildings are somewhere between "built" (following construction) and "destroyed" (prior to demolition) ;)

True :crazy:,...

Now I don't know how to define "ruin". :P