PDA

View Full Version : For those in Regina

Mayor Quimby
May 7, 2007, 4:21 AM
Found this googling my favourite Mayor and thought some would like to discuss this bloggers approach. He seems to have some good ideas.

Alternative City Budget (http://citizensfederation.blogspot.com/2007/04/alternative-city-budget.html#links)

Mayor Quimby
May 7, 2007, 6:41 AM
I'll start, any comments on:

Homeowners Grants- I like this idea.Especially for the geriatrics.

Commercial vs. Residential tax rates- I'm not sold on this one.

Amusement Tax- Maybe 5% would be better

Business Licences- I think its either raise these or commercial property taxes.

Marketing- He did cancel alot these , I would have culled a little but not as much.

Just so everyone knows,if you care, he ran for city council last election and proposed free municipal wireless, among others ideas. He wasn't taken seriously and finished last. If he was in my ward, I would have voted for him.

Mayor Quimby
May 7, 2007, 8:37 PM
Well, some agreement all around on this subject. It is certainly good to see that Migs, Chaps and ReginaGuy have come around to the proper outlook.

Migs
May 7, 2007, 11:07 PM
Well, some agreement all around on this subject. It is certainly good to see that Migs, Chaps and ReginaGuy have come around to the proper outlook.
Actually i think its moreso that nobody gives a fuck about your agenda. Now feel free to carry on talking to yourself..........:haha:

Mayor Quimby
May 7, 2007, 11:09 PM
Actually i think its moreso that nobody gives a fuck about your agenda. Now feel free to carry on talking to yourself..........:haha:

You have been so cordial lately but now, I have to report you again for swearing at me.

What agenda ? I never mentioned you know-who at all.

BrannyMuffin
May 8, 2007, 2:58 AM
I vaguely remember hearing about that guy...Some of what he says makes sense to me. I didn't really go through the blog you posted, though.

ReginaGuy
May 8, 2007, 3:54 AM

I really couldn't care less, this sort of thing doesn't interest me..

governorgeneral
May 8, 2007, 5:19 AM
Thanks for the link, it's nice to see some constructive debate like this. Interesting numbers and ideas, they seem to make sense given his intent: "reduced user fees for citizen access to public facilities and transit, while passing on the actual cost of development to the city capital and operating costs to the developers". If Reginans shared the same priorities, they would've voted for it.

Mayor Quimby
May 8, 2007, 5:23 AM
I vaguely remember hearing about that guy...Some of what he says makes sense to me. I didn't really go through the blog you posted, though.

I recommend you give it a read, leave him a comment. He is generally very helpful. I just thought since people have accused me of being negative, I would offer some information on what I believe is the right direction. Though I don't agree with everything, overall it is a good way forward. Maybe , he'll run again ?

He seems to be stealing my ideas, maybe he reads SSP ? :haha:

Mayor Quimby
May 8, 2007, 5:24 AM
Thanks for the link, it's nice to see some constructive debate like this. Interesting numbers and ideas, they seem to make sense given his intent: "reduced user fees for citizen access to public facilities and transit, while passing on the actual cost of development to the city capital and operating costs to the developers". If Reginans shared the same priorities, they would've voted for it.

As you know, I agree with those types of policies but is 15% too much to soon ? Would such a move cause capital flight ? I would have phased it in slower but the principal is what matters, right ?

governorgeneral
May 8, 2007, 5:35 AM
As you know, I agree with those types of policies but is 15% too much to soon ? Would such a move cause capital flight ? I would have phased it in slower but the principal is what matters, right ?

What 15% are you referring to?

Mayor Quimby
May 8, 2007, 5:38 AM
^^ Doesn't he want to increase development fees by 15% ?

governorgeneral
May 8, 2007, 5:56 AM
^^ Doesn't he want to increase development fees by 15% ?

Ah, didn't catch that detail under "Community Service Fees" when I skimmed it: "A 15% increase in fees for removal of junk, RRAP Inspection Fees, building permit fees, development application fees and sign permit fees."

I don't know if that would be "too much too soon". How much do those fees play into whether a potential developer builds or not? My (admittedly-naive and uneducated) thinking is that raising fees when the economy's booming and people are eager to develop is a good thing - generates more revenue, and helps to keep growth under control. The time to have low fees is when things are slow and you need to kick start the economy, isn't it?

Maybe do something like a graduated fee schedule: the first x number of permits go at a discount rate, and later ones more expensive. Issue permits in "quotas" of types of desired developments: downtown infill, strip malls, big box centres, etc.

BrannyMuffin
May 8, 2007, 6:03 AM
I haven't had time to read the whole thing...I looked through it a bit. One thing I have a problem with is raising fees/taxes for businesses. Most of the companies it would affect can afford an increase...but will they go for it, or simply stay away?

Mayor Quimby
May 8, 2007, 6:31 AM
I haven't had time to read the whole thing...I looked through it a bit. One thing I have a problem with is raising fees/taxes for businesses. Most of the companies it would affect can afford an increase...but will they go for it, or simply stay away?

I'm torn on the whole area, I agree with GG that they should pay there share and know that a hot economy will attract investment regardless of costs. The downside is if Regina is the only city to move this way, we could be used as an example for everyone else and see a massive exodus.

governorgeneral
May 8, 2007, 7:18 AM
I'm torn on the whole area, I agree with GG that they should pay there share and know that a hot economy will attract investment regardless of costs. The downside is if Regina is the only city to move this way, we could be used as an example for everyone else and see a massive exodus.

One way to find out, I guess - go ahead and raise it, and see what happens. Now's the time to do it, when the economy is strong, not when it's weak. That is, if this is what Reginans actually want. If they did, then they would've voted for this other candidate with this alternate budget.

The City of Edmonton's property tax survey (http://www.edalliance.ca/news/print.asp?newsID=63) (referenced in the link you gave us) says a lot of cities shift their taxes away from residential property and towards business than Regina does. Residential tax makes up 63% of the tax burden in Regina, vs 27 in Toronto, 45 in Montreal, 46 in Victoria, 47 in Saint John, 48 in Burnaby and Vancouver, 50 in Calgary, 53 in St John's, 54 in Ottawa and Halifax, 55 in Edmonton, 57 in Grande Prairie and Winnipeg, 59 in Fredericton.

That's a pretty diverse group of cities with totally different industries and populations, but all pretty good and prosperous places (they all beat Regina in Canadian Business' Canada's Best Places to Live (http://www.canadianbusiness.com/rankings/bestplacestolive/list.jsp?pageID=list&type=city&listType=economic&year=2007&page=1&customView=&customCols=&content=) (except Grande Prairie and Saint John))... maybe taxing like they do would be a good thing. If Reginans shared the same priorities, I mean.

Mayor Quimby
May 8, 2007, 8:48 PM
One way to find out, I guess - go ahead and raise it, and see what happens. Now's the time to do it, when the economy is strong, not when it's weak. That is, if this is what Reginans actually want. If they did, then they would've voted for this other candidate with this alternate budget.

The City of Edmonton's property tax survey (http://www.edalliance.ca/news/print.asp?newsID=63) (referenced in the link you gave us) says a lot of cities shift their taxes away from residential property and towards business than Regina does. Residential tax makes up 63% of the tax burden in Regina, vs 27 in Toronto, 45 in Montreal, 46 in Victoria, 47 in Saint John, 48 in Burnaby and Vancouver, 50 in Calgary, 53 in St John's, 54 in Ottawa and Halifax, 55 in Edmonton, 57 in Grande Prairie and Winnipeg, 59 in Fredericton.

That's a pretty diverse group of cities with totally different industries and populations, but all pretty good and prosperous places (they all beat Regina in Canadian Business' Canada's Best Places to Live (http://www.canadianbusiness.com/rankings/bestplacestolive/list.jsp?pageID=list&type=city&listType=economic&year=2007&page=1&customView=&customCols=&content=) (except Grande Prairie and Saint John))... maybe taxing like they do would be a good thing. If Reginans shared the same priorities, I mean.

I agree to a point, but Saskatoon is going the other way and is Regina's main competitor. That point was also a major area of "discussion" in the last election and the pro-developer side won , even though it was only 29.75% of eligible voters agreed.

Mr. Moats has watered it down to 60/40 split and his budget moves 1% for 2007 with 60/40 being the goal.

governorgeneral
May 9, 2007, 1:54 AM
Saskatoon is going the other way and is Regina's main competitor. That point was also a major area of "discussion" in the last election and the pro-developer side won

I don't know... maybe for business looking to expand into Saskatchewan, S'toon really is Regina's competition. But as for where Regina has been losing residents to, I think it's to those other cities like Toronto and Vancouver and Calgary and Edmonton, not S'toon. Other than ppl who went to U of S I don't know any Reginans who chose to move to S'toon. It wasn't high on my list personally... How many ppl does Regina lose to S'toon anyway?

Trying to grow through cheap development... business might get interested in Regina for lower development costs and taxes, but that doesn't address the quality of life draws other cities provide. Another "front" to have to compete on, and I think more important long-term.

I don't like calling one approach "pro-developer"... no one is "anti-developer", of course. Just different priorities. Eg, a while ago you said something or other about "3 Ts" of development - you didn't say what that was exactly, but I found a good article about What Really Drives Regional Economic Development? (http://creativeclass.typepad.com/thecreativityexchange/2006/11/what_really_dri.html) trying to figure it out.

I think what they're getting at is, tax cuts and cheap development will only go so far, if you can't make the city "desirable" to its own residents, and hold on to the city's young and creative talent to really sustain any growth. What those other cities are prioritising with their tax system and community service spending seem to follow that idea; maybe it could work in Regina too.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Vive la difference!

CCF
May 9, 2007, 2:13 AM
I'd say just the ones who go there for university...even then they leave for Alberta eventually.

Mayor Quimby
May 9, 2007, 2:51 AM
I don't know... maybe for business looking to expand into Saskatchewan, S'toon really is Regina's competition. But as for where Regina has been losing residents to, I think it's to those other cities like Toronto and Vancouver and Calgary and Edmonton, not S'toon. Other than ppl who went to U of S I don't know any Reginans who chose to move to S'toon. It wasn't high on my list personally... How many ppl does Regina lose to S'toon anyway?

Trying to grow through cheap development... business might get interested in Regina for lower development costs and taxes, but that doesn't address the quality of life draws other cities provide. Another "front" to have to compete on, and I think more important long-term.

I don't like calling one approach "pro-developer"... no one is "anti-developer", of course. Just different priorities. Eg, a while ago you said something or other about "3 Ts" of development - you didn't say what that was exactly, but I found a good article about What Really Drives Regional Economic Development? (http://creativeclass.typepad.com/thecreativityexchange/2006/11/what_really_dri.html) trying to figure it out.

I think what they're getting at is, tax cuts and cheap development will only go so far, if you can't make the city "desirable" to its own residents, and hold on to the city's young and creative talent to really sustain any growth. What those other cities are prioritising with their tax system and community service spending seem to follow that idea; maybe it could work in Regina too.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Vive la difference!

The 3 T's are via the research of Dr. Richard Florida, they are Technology, Talent and Tolerance. Every major city worldwide with a booming economy rates high on these three areas. Lots of Hi-tech firms and patents per capita for tech, producing or attracting the type of people that produce patents and hi-tech companies or can work at them and lastly tolerance, an atmosphere where all types can mingle without worrying about being discriminated against.
The last two lead to the first by offering a open environment with lots of amenities, you keep and attract talented people, who in turn then to produce or can work at high tech firms or research and development. Dr. Florida's research shows that these three are interconnected and a city needs all 3 to be successful on a global scale. He also found that large multi-national technology companies are not only willing to invest or develop an area for talent but tend to do regularly.

Pretty much, what your saying, I'll have to check your link.
Thanks.

newflyer
May 9, 2007, 3:00 AM
The 3 T's are via the research of Dr. Richard Florida, they are Technology, Talent and Tolerance. Every major city worldwide with a booming economy rates high on these three areas. Lots of Hi-tech firms and patents per capita for tech, producing or attracting the type of people that produce patents and hi-tech companies or can work at them and lastly tolerance, an atmosphere where all types can mingle without worrying about being discriminated against.
The last two lead to the first by offering a open environment with lots of amenities, you keep and attract talented people, who in turn then to produce or can work at high tech firms or research and development. Dr. Florida's research shows that these three are interconnected and a city needs all 3 to be successful on a global scale. He also found that large multi-national technology companies are not only willing to invest or develop an area for talent but tend to do regularly.

Pretty much, what your saying, I'll have to check your link.
Thanks.

I'd rather subscribe to the views of Alexander Hamilton.

Mayor Quimby
May 9, 2007, 3:08 AM
I'd rather subscribe to the views of Alexander Hamilton.

of the American School in economics ?

That's national macroeconomics, not regional.