PDA

View Full Version : SF: Partyers, Workers Rely on Night Owl Buses

fflint
Jun 4, 2007, 8:40 PM
Partyers, workers rely on Night Owl buses
Service that covers the wee hours is a lifeline for some, but fares can't keep up with costs

Jason B. Johnson
The San Francisco Chronicle
Monday, June 4, 2007

http://sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/06/04/ba_b5_nightowl_059_kk.jpg
Tim Davis drives a Night Owl bus for AC Transit between San Francisco and Richmond.

It's 3 a.m. on a Sunday, and Mark Jackson heaves his tired body into the nearest seat on an AC Transit bus, heading home to Oakland after working security at a downtown San Francisco nightclub.

Jackson smiles as another passenger boards singing a 1960s R&B tune.

"You singing that Jackie Wilson, huh?" said Jackson, 47. "A lot's changed since then."

"Yeah," the older man replied. "Hell, I remember when TV was brand new. Radio was still king."

Their exchange typifies the easygoing atmosphere on the Night Owl bus, where guards, hotel workers on the graveyard shift, club-hoppers and homeless people rub shoulders as they travel along routes that link disparate parts of the Bay Area long after BART stops.

Launched in December 2005, the Night Owl network, which involves transit agencies in several different counties, stops at BART stations between 1 and 5 a.m. While it's heavily used in urban areas, the service is struggling in suburban communities like Contra Costa County. The low ridership could threaten the service, officials say.

Loss of the Night Owl would be a major blow, said Seth Schneider, communications director for the Transportation and Land Use Coalition, a transit lobby.

"I think it's critical for everyone, from late-night workers to people who are out for fun and get stranded," Schneider said. "For people who don't have a car, it gives people access to more job opportunities."

The network includes AC Transit, County Connection, Wheels, Muni and SamTrans. The different services coordinate bus schedules to provide service overnight. Most buses run every hour, but some, like the AC Transit 800 line, run every 30 minutes on weekends. The 800 travels from downtown San Francisco through West Oakland and into Richmond.

On a recent Saturday run, three people boarded the 800 line at Market Street and Van Ness Avenue, its San Francisco starting point. Fifteen riders had boarded by the time it rumbled onto the Bay Bridge.

Esteban Allard's body swayed from side to side as he sat reading a book.

"I almost always come to hang out with friends. I was just at the MFA at an art showing, and hanging out at the Castro with some friends," said Allard, 25, of Oakland.

"It's nice to be able to go to events and not be rushed," agreed Marisa Gant, 26, of Berkeley, who was on her way home after a concert.

In another corner of the bus, Reginald Jones of Oakland had struck up a conversation with the man sitting across from him, Burlingame businessman Tom Bertke.

As the bus made its way along the Bay Bridge's lower deck, Jones showed off piece after piece of artwork -- black and white sketches and color prints of James Brown, Malcolm X, Snoop Dogg and a young Michael Jackson.

"When I get confident, I'm going to put it out in the market. I'm not ready yet, though," Jones, 45, said of his art.

Jones has taken the Night Owl several days a week over the past month to visit family in San Francisco. "I didn't even know about it, that it ran this far over," Jones said of the service. "It's convenient and cheap."

Night Owl regulars said they've seen fistfights and drunken partygoers. They've watched total strangers become friends and volunteer to pay others' fares.

"You get a mixed bag," said Night Owl bus driver Tim Davis, who starts his workday at 10:15 p.m. "Sometimes it can get like 'Taxicab Confessions,' people doing strange things."

In April, the bus agencies that make up the Night Owl routes launched an awareness campaign and mailed information packets to 10,000 businesses in Contra Costa, Alameda and San Mateo counties. The campaign focused on convenience stores, hotels, hospitals, restaurants and bars.

Yet many people still don't know it exists.

On a recent evening at BART's Richmond Station, Jasmine Carrington, 17, and Alexis Willard, 16, were headed to San Francisco for their regular weekend trip.

Both girls agreed that BART shuts too early to be convenient.

"It's hecka hard," Alexis said. "We have a curfew, and a lot of the time we don't make it back in time for curfew."

Neither was aware of Night Owl, but they said they would use such a service.

Night Owl service operates in part with funds from Measure 2, a voter-approved initiative that in 2004 added a $1 toll on all local bridges except the Golden Gate. Fares are supposed to make up the rest of the Night Owl budget.

Transit service rarely pays for itself through fares alone. But on some lines, the Night Owl service has failed to earn back its budgeted amount in fares.

For example, Contra Costa's County Connection expected fares to pay for about 10 percent of the county's costs for the Night Owl service. But fares last year covered less than 1 percent of the costs, leaving the agency to pick up an additional $37,000 in operating costs.

The number of passengers on the 820 line, which runs from West Oakland through central Contra Costa to Concord, has increased steadily, from 284 in July 2006 to 659 in March 2007, but is still short of the numbers needed to have the service pay for itself. It's unclear how many people regularly ride all of the Night Owl lines.

"The partners really have a responsibility to use that money wisely, because we don't want it to go away," County Connection spokeswoman Mary Burdick said.

miketoronto
Jun 5, 2007, 3:45 AM
When you are dealing with night owl services, you can not worry about financial issues like how much the fares cover.

The Toronto Transit Commission has very strict rules concerning funding, and if a bus route does not meet it the calculations, then they can't operate it.
However with the night bus service, those rules are not followed. The night bus network is seen as a needed social service for the city, and the cost recovery does not become an issue. The routes are run out of the need, not how much it costs.

Kilgore Trout
Jun 6, 2007, 5:56 AM
mike's right: night buses will almost never be profitable but they are an important social service. without them, thousands of people would be stuck having to drive or take taxis.

fflint
Jun 6, 2007, 10:13 AM
I should point out the lines in danger of being cut are out in the suburbs, not in the city of San Francisco itself, where the Municipal Railway runs its own overnight service (with timed transfers at major stations to and from the regional Bay Area Night Owl lines).

J. Will
Jun 6, 2007, 3:23 PM
Toronto has a pretty strong network of 24-hour transit, but I don't know if there is any 24-hour service in the suburbs. I've seen Mississauga Transit and Brampton Transit buses running at about 3am, so there may be in those places. I couldn't imagine 24-hour buses in places like Oakville though.

Last time I was on a very late night bus some drunk puked right on the floor in the middle of everyone. Nobody said anything about it. Fun times.

miketoronto
Jun 6, 2007, 4:36 PM
Toronto's 24 hour network extends through all the inner suburbs, that are now part of the City of Toronto. This was the case even before amalgmation with Toronto.

The 24 hour network provides 24 hour service within a 15min walk of over 90% of residents in the inner city and inner suburbs.

24 hour service does not operate in the suburbs that operate their own transit systems. Last buses in the outter suburbs vary, from 2:30AM for York Region Transit(Yonge Street buses), to Mississauga which ends around 2AM also.

All other suburbs end service earlier. Oakville ends at 1:30AM, and Durham Region around 12 midnight to 1AM.

But many of the parts of suburban SF served by OWL service, would be what is the inner suburbs here in Toronto. And all those overnight services are provided eventhough the cost recovery is bad. And they are provided because the TTC has a goal to provide 24 hour transit to most residents no matter what area they live in.

This is from the TTC. BLUE NIGHT is what they call the OWL services.

-------------
The Blue Night network was significantly different, in that it was planned on the basis
of a reasonable walking distance to overnight routes, not on ridership or financial performance.

Some of the overnight routes have a financial performance
which would rank poorly if compared to the daytime network,
but it is appropriate to continue to operate these routes in order
to ensure that the basic overnight network provides coverage
as widespread as possible throughout Toronto. The total costs
and the total route financial performance of the overnight
network are appropriate and acceptable, considering the
community need for travel in the overnight hours. The fact
that ridership has increased over the last two decades on the
overnight network shows that the services are well used.

fflint
Jun 7, 2007, 1:48 AM
But many of the parts of suburban SF served by OWL service, would be what is the inner suburbs here in Toronto.
I'll again remind you of your egregious ignorance of the Bay Area--why do you blather on like this about a region totally foreign to you? The inner suburbs aren't the problem here. Berkeley, Oakland, Daly City etc. produce relatively high overnight ridership and are not in any danger of losing overnight service. It is the outer suburbs--BART extends all the way to the edge of the metropolis--that suffer very low overnight ridership numbers and are in danger of service cuts.

As for your discussion of Toronto, why? Why are we talking about Toronto here?

the94112
Jun 7, 2007, 2:04 AM
I've taken the night owl before around 2 AM and that thing was packed, and everyone seemed to be talking, awake, and more uppity than during the day time, and no, it wasn't people coming from clubs, just the usual riders in my neighborhood.

miketoronto
Jun 7, 2007, 3:08 AM
I'll again remind you of your egregious ignorance of the Bay Area--why do you blather on like this about a region totally foreign to you? The inner suburbs aren't the problem here. Berkeley, Oakland, Daly City etc. produce relatively high overnight ridership and are not in any danger of losing overnight service. It is the outer suburbs--BART extends all the way to the edge of the metropolis--that suffer very low overnight ridership numbers and are in danger of service cuts.

Well then you have to make decision then. Are they going to provide service to everyone as a social service and eat the costs. Or are the buses serving the extreme edges of the metro region just not carrying anyone, and not worth operating. Are these buses carrying like one person?

They will have to make the decision. I assume that in the outter burbs most people that live out there already have cars and did not rely on transit. So the decision will have to be made.

As for your discussion of Toronto, why? Why are we talking about Toronto here?

Because you need to look at other places and how they do it. And Toronto is a great example to use, because we operate one of the best 24 hour networks in North America. And one of the only that serves such a large suburban area outside of the core inner city.

J. Will
Jun 7, 2007, 3:39 PM
I'll again remind you of your egregious ignorance of the Bay Area--why do you blather on like this about a region totally foreign to you?

That's exactly what I think when I see people on this forum talk about Toronto when they haven't been there in years, if ever.

Justin10000
Jun 9, 2007, 12:42 AM
Toronto has a pretty strong network of 24-hour transit, but I don't know if there is any 24-hour service in the suburbs. I've seen Mississauga Transit and Brampton Transit buses running at about 3am, so there may be in those places. I couldn't imagine 24-hour buses in places like Oakville though.

Last time I was on a very late night bus some drunk puked right on the floor in the middle of everyone. Nobody said anything about it. Fun times.

Brampton only runs until 12:30 on many routes. The last bus for many routes is 12:30. Brampton Transit can really use later buses. From what I have heard, there is supposed to be a significant service improvement next year, but I am not sure.

That being said, Mike is correct. The TTC has a stable 24 bus service that serves the city pretty well. It is not perfect. I have used the 320 Yonge, and the 319(?) Finch bus, and it is not perfect. But it gets people home.

The fact that SF has 24 service to the outer suburbs is amazing. Many people in the 905(T.O.s outer suburbs) would kill to be able to have 24 bus service beyond the Toronto bounary.

danvillain
Jun 11, 2007, 2:15 AM
what may happen with the 820 is that if CCCTA no longer wants to operate it, AC transit may step in and pick up the slack. AC was to take the lead on the east bay owl routes, but the smaller providers (CCCTA and LAVTA) wanted in on the all nighter. the (non-)"issue", imo, with letting AC pick up the 820 is that there is concern over having AC operate in the CCCTA service area.

let's get that bay area-wide transit agency merger over with, mmmkay?

the 820 does "best" sunday mornings, before BART starts revenue service. otherwise it's perhaps one person (maybe two) per trip. i've used it a couple times to get to work, but i'm not contributing to revenue, so...

i should add that the 820 requires two operators and a dispatcher. wages for operators hover around $18/hour, plus premium for the night owl. one-way fare within contra costa is $1.75; $3.00 to/from oakland. do the math.