PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Will you move back?

Pages : 1 [2]

CodyY
Sep 11, 2007, 5:29 AM
I LOVE Coeur d'Alene, Idaho (where I grew up) and I plan on living there after I graduate.

Rail Claimore
Sep 11, 2007, 7:50 AM
I could see myself buying a second home close to my hometown. The mountains and lakes of northern Alabama and eastern Tennessee are absolutely beautiful, just ask all the Atlantans that invade the area every weekend.

MolsonExport
Sep 11, 2007, 1:01 PM
"I don't understand how Canadians say they "move" to LA or New York (or anywhere outside Canada). I emigrated to Toronto from the states in 1997 and it was a very complicated matter that I'd never oversimplify by saying that I "moved" to Toronto. How did you just "move" to NYC?"

It's really simple. Some people have dual citizenship, while others who don't, are employed in fields that allow them to travel much of the world with relative ease. There's nothing difficult to understand about it.

And I also have many friends that have moved to the U.K. and Ireland and other European and Asian countries as well. There's no law that says once you become a Canadian you have to stay put.

Quite so. I am in academia, and there are prospects pretty much everywhere around the globe. In every major university, you will find ethnic diasporas.

Jerry
Sep 11, 2007, 1:10 PM
Halifax England - just can't see myself moving back. Canada has so much to offer.

dan7
Sep 15, 2007, 5:48 AM
I was born in Pittsburgh, PA and won't be moving back there; reasons are the lousy climate (I detest snow and muggy summers).

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and won't move back because that region has become way too crowded. I'll visit from time to time because I still have friends there.

I lived in a small town in southwestern Germany for about two years when I was a kid and won't move back because I don't want to live outside the United States. Most of my family still lives in Germany (my parents emigrated to the United States in the 1950's) and I do go back from time to time to visit family.

I've lived near Portland, Oregon for the last 17 years and have adapted to the climate. Summer is my favorite time of year and Oregon summers are the best! The only thing missing in the Portland metro area is Major League Baseball.

Joemanji
Sep 15, 2007, 10:52 PM
I was born in Fargo, lived there until I was five (never plan on moving back there), and then lived in Minneapolis until I was 23, went to the Univ. of MN too.

I've lived in Central Florida, working as a City Planner, for more than 7 months now. It's pretty cool because I'm close to both coasts. I love the job too.

But, the only reason I left MN was because I didn't want to go to grad school (which seemed like the only way I was going to get a planning job there), and central Florida is growing so fast, they're pretty desperate for planners. Warm weather and beaches are great, but I know I can't live here my whole life.

I could see myself living in the Northwest (Portland, Seattle, Vancouver), Chicago, possibly New York, but my #1 goal is to get back to Minneapolis.

On a side note, this was a wonderful thread to read through. It's brought up a lot of emotions. My coworker is one of those Pittsburgh "refugees". It's (almost) shocking how many people from the Rust Belt have moved to FL.

SuburbanNation
Sep 16, 2007, 4:49 AM
I guess technically I did "move back"...though I didn't grow up in St. Louis City, it's like a new city to me...but such is the strange curse of St. Louis, all of these kids moving away who have never really seen this very urban city proper save for the highly damaged areas of downtown around the ballfield...nowbody knows there are rowhouses, venues, corner bars, and subway stations here. The City just needs 1% of those fresh faces and new blood all streaming into chicago from everywhere, miles of incredible brick walking neighborhoods are just waiting.

SuburbanNation
Sep 16, 2007, 5:40 AM
Move back to Kansas City? Oh HELL no.

I live in Paradise now. Not likely, thank you very much.

--don

--another motorist in phoenix. don't forget to water, tonight.

Don B.
Sep 16, 2007, 3:40 PM
^ Don't need to water. We have an automatic drip system for the desert plants in our yard.

--don

MayorOfChicago
Sep 16, 2007, 10:32 PM
I moved here from Iowa about 6 years ago, and don't think I'll ever leave Chicago.

I do still love Iowa though, it's beautiful, relaxing, good economy. I go back as much as I can, but I don't think I'd live there since I am an urban addict.

Frisco_Zig
Sep 17, 2007, 4:48 AM
I grew up in San Mateo (suburb of SF) which has become one of the most expensive citites in the country. But since I live in San Francisco 5 miles from where I was born and 20 from where I was raised I guess I've never really left

childsplay04
Sep 18, 2007, 12:21 AM
I was born in Clarksdale, MS a town of only 21,000. I would never in my life move back there. I moved to Memphis in 2000 then later moved to Atlanta in 2006. If Memphis' culinary industry take flight the Atlanta has and pay the cooks and chefs more...then maybe theres a 5% of a chance I would. I cant live off 9 and 10$ an hour paying back this high ass culinary loans...

arbeiter
Sep 18, 2007, 6:05 AM
^ Don't need to water. We have an automatic drip system for the desert plants in our yard.

--don

Ooh, you're such an environmentalist! Let me guess, you walk to work and have a compost heap too.