PDA

View Full Version : CHICAGO | Waldorf=Astoria | 1,265' Official / 1,200' Roof | 107 FLOORS | NEVER BUILT

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

BVictor1
Mar 6, 2008, 10:13 PM
Re Pestigo:

I don't see why everyone is so up in arms about that podium, the only view of it that we've seen fronts a veritable freeway. I highly doubt that the angles that front the actually pedestrian streets will look the same as the one that fronts an ugly multi-level freeway...

This podium on the other hand fronts pedestrian spaces on all sides, which is clearly not acceptable.

It's written in the PD for the 319/Waldorf site about maximum effort to place the parking underground at that location.

Alliance
Mar 7, 2008, 2:51 AM
It doesn't even need to be underground, it just needs to be integrated.

StormFire
Mar 20, 2008, 5:18 PM
Bump.

Any news on this one? And good speculation? This and 444 W Lake are my two current favorite proposals in Chicago and I can't recall the level of support this one has (vs. 444 which looks pretty solid as far as I can tell).

Jularc
Mar 20, 2008, 7:47 PM
This is one of those buildings that must be built in Chicago.

intrepidDesign
Apr 15, 2008, 2:40 AM
:previous: I agree with this. Anyone heard whats going on with this project? Last I heard they were still in the design phase and no where close to breaking ground.

Siriusly
Apr 15, 2008, 4:25 AM
:previous: I agree with this. Anyone heard whats going on with this project? Last I heard they were still in the design phase and no where close to breaking ground.

A poster on SSC said that they are planning a 400 ft. antenna to be added atop the Waldorf...

Tom Servo
Apr 15, 2008, 5:04 AM
A poster on SSC said that they are planning a 400 ft. antenna to be added atop the Waldorf...

that would be awesome. i love antennas! :yes:

Nowhereman1280
Apr 15, 2008, 5:12 AM
Where did they say there was going to be an antenna? Can you provide a link to the thread? I would like to read their exact statements.

I don't know how I would feel about an antenna on this puppy, it might mess with the awesome chisel shape of the top. Then again, it would help tie in the height of this building with the height of the Spire...

intrepidDesign
Apr 15, 2008, 7:02 AM
Yeah i don't know if this building would look good with an antenna. I think it would look nice without one. Keep It Simple.

Siriusly
Apr 15, 2008, 7:27 PM
Where did they say there was going to be an antenna? Can you provide a link to the thread? I would like to read their exact statements.

I don't know how I would feel about an antenna on this puppy, it might mess with the awesome chisel shape of the top. Then again, it would help tie in the height of this building with the height of the Spire...

Here is the conversation from SSC:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere but the building is being designed to support up to a 400' antenna on the roof.

Where did you hear that from? A link?

Sorry can't really say where I got that from. Just thought I would throw it out there.

Dr. Taco
Apr 15, 2008, 8:31 PM
^ well, you can't get more concrete than that...

Siriusly
Apr 15, 2008, 9:19 PM
^ well, you can't get more concrete than that...

I agree, he must be a silent partner...:D

Juan_M2118
Apr 15, 2008, 9:37 PM
lets face is, Chicago is going thru a massive construction boom, but at times it looks like its ending???? This is certainly one of my favorites, along with 300 N LaSalle, Trump and Waterview<< but recently the waterview is having problems, and there are even especulations that the CS will never rise, since economy is going DOWN.. Hopefully, this PUPPY(like someone said), will rise, its awesome, it will make chicago MORE unique, the shape, the fadacade, it SIZE, everything?? but my one question is>>>>> is it REALLY possible that this tower will make it????
:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :shrug: :shrug:

simcityaustin
Apr 16, 2008, 6:37 AM
No offense Juan, but I don't feel like we should speculate for speculation's sake. We just need to be patient...we'll hear something when we hear it.

The speculation about CS isn't anything new, and Waterview has always had speculations too (albeit it's more serious now.) Also one question mark is sufficient (and same for emoticons) It makes your posts harder to read.

Finally, of course it's possible that this tower would rise. Developers don't spend the massive amounts of money on buying land, hiring architects and engineers, etc. if they don't think they're project is economically feasible.

BVictor1
Apr 16, 2008, 12:18 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/business/roeder/896613,CST-FIN-roeder16.article

100 stories, no gripes?

REAL ESTATE | Few complaints about Streeterville plan

April 16, 2008

DAVID ROEDER droeder@suntimes.com

Proposals for hundred-story buildings usually provoke controversy in this town. Not so with the plan that's slowly cooking in Streeterville and waiting for a hotter market so it can be served to the public.

Few have complained about the proposal that would combine a Waldorf-Astoria hotel with condos in a tower just north of the Sheraton Chicago hotel. Insiders said it should get city planning approval this summer.

Maybe it's the design, a highly regarded effort from the firm DeStefano & Partners. Without being a copycat, the building picks up design elements of the much taller Chicago Spire, proposed for a lakefront site just a couple blocks away.

Maybe it's the location. It's a busy neighborhood, but south Streeterville is still off the beaten path for most downtown visitors and residents, and it won't block the views from many neighbors.

Or maybe it's just that the condo glut makes the building an unlikely prospect to many people.

I find myself asking, "Where are all the high-rise haters," the people I heard from when Donald Trump landed in Chicago to announce his 92-story building. "How dare he?" was the reaction. He had the capital, the background and the zoning, that's how. And now his building, despite economic bumps along the way and trouble with Trump's credibility, is being built.

The Waldorf-Astoria tower is the project of two developers, Christopher Carley and Michael Reschke. Carley owns the controlling stake and Reschke brought the Waldorf, a Hilton brand, into the deal. While it's passing its political test here, having won praise from the influential Streeterville Organization of Active Residents, the project still could flunk economics.

Reschke said he's looking into changing the project so the hotel could be built even if the condo market remains cruddy. He said one possibility is to scratch the 100-story proposal and replace it with two buildings in the 40- to 50-story range, so that the one with the hotel could be built first.

But Carley, in a separate conversation, said the two-building plan hasn't been discussed and that the site, along North Water between Park and New streets, is too small for such a design anyway.

Reschke, Carley said, "has no authority in this matter. He has an economic interest, but that is all. I make the decisions." His voice had a little starch in it.

A while later, Reschke called me to clarify, saying that any changes to the plan pending before the city would happen only if the condo market remains bad for years. I won't make too much of the partnership dispute. The end of the condo boom has confused a lot of people, including builders and serial investors.

At 100 stories, the building would be about 1,100 feet, shorter than the Trump Tower or the John Hancock Center, each of which have fewer floors. The Carley-Reschke building wouldn't need the higher ceilings that commercial space requires, so it can achieve a higher number of floors.

For neighborhood interests, a more pressing problem comes from yet another condo tower that would be built north of the Waldorf. Houston-based Hanover Co. wants a 48-story building along Illinois Street and doesn't need a zoning change to start construction.

The Streeterville civic group doesn't like that Hanover would put the condos on a 125-foot parking structure that presents a towering blank wall on the street. Last year, the group's president, Gail Spreen, likened the design by Solomon Cordwell Buenz to "ugly buildings that have gone up in River North."

Busy Bee
Apr 16, 2008, 1:06 PM
Reschke said he's looking into changing the project so the hotel could be built even if the condo market remains cruddy. He said one possibility is to scratch the 100-story proposal and replace it with two buildings in the 40- to 50-story range, so that the one with the hotel could be built first.

Please Lord, if there is any justice in this world, prevent this from happening.

Alliance
Apr 16, 2008, 1:14 PM
I find myself asking, "Where are all the high-rise haters," the people I heard from when Donald Trump landed in Chicago to announce his 92-story building. "How dare he?" was the reaction.

Hell, I still tell my self that :haha:.

But seriously, Is Kamin looking for haters? SOAR has become a GREAT force on development in Streeterville, hitting developers on the things that really matter. Why chastise them?

Also, Kamin needs to start getting his facts form this site, as more and more often he seem's consisteantly out of date. 1100'? That figure has LONG been updated.

Please Lord, if there is any justice in this world, prevent this from happening.

I don't think we have to worry. We'd have to have a consistantly bad market it seems for that to happen, and we're not even really sure if the market is THAT bad right now.

Besides, Carley wants his supertall, whether he only makes $2 on it or not.

chicubs111
Apr 16, 2008, 1:16 PM
this is david roeder talking ehre people...the guys screws up more facts than a politician...he should learn to do some research before writing his articles...and notice he never mentioned anything about waterview tower?

the urban politician
Apr 16, 2008, 1:59 PM
Hell, I still tell my self that :haha:.

But seriously, Is Kamin looking for haters? SOAR has become a GREAT force on development in Streeterville, hitting developers on the things that really matter. Why chastise them?

Also, Kamin needs to start getting his facts form this site, as more and more often he seem's consisteantly out of date. 1100'? That figure has LONG been updated.

^ It's David Roeder, not Kamin.

And it would be a huge let down if this project is turned into some lackluster ho-hum 2 tower development. Lets just hope..

BVictor1
Apr 16, 2008, 2:05 PM
I've been told by a "very reliable source" that once again, ROEDER HAS IT WRONG

Besides, you can't built 2 seperate buildings on the site along with Hanovers project. The PD won't allow it because of the view corridor.

honte
Apr 16, 2008, 2:09 PM
this is david roeder talking ehre people...the guys screws up more facts than a politician...he should learn to do some research before writing his articles...and notice he never mentioned anything about waterview tower?

... yet he never fails to get a nice pitch in for Donald Trump. I've dropped my idea that Trump bribed him. Now, I think Roeder must be on Trump's ghost payroll.

CenIL_LA
Apr 16, 2008, 2:22 PM
I heard that Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum had bought Chicago with the plastic hotels and houses he sold on monopoly, and plans to take the buildings to Dubai. Seriously Roeder kind of steps on his own article by stating that this is a rare building to be approved by the neighborhood but the developer would want to change the project? People accepted it because it was a good design in the right place, not because they are forseeing doom. Average people do care when something probable, has the potential to destroy thier neighborhood. People fight the most unlikely projects. He uses bad common sense that people would praise it because it would be unlikely to get built. This is the sign that says it would fail and need to change? pppft

the urban politician
Apr 16, 2008, 2:28 PM
I've been told by a "very reliable source" that once again, ROEDER HAS IT WRONG

Besides, you can't built 2 seperate buildings on the site along with Hanovers project. The PD won't allow it because of the view corridor.

^ Maybe you should write for the Sun Times, because so far your info has always been more reliable than Roeder's :haha:

Dr. Taco
Apr 16, 2008, 3:14 PM
geez, back in the day, i kind of liked roeder, but he has just been terrible lately. maybe its time for retirement?

Steely Dan
Apr 16, 2008, 5:20 PM
Besides, Carley wants his supertall, whether he only makes $2 on it or not.

well, he's still a businessman, so i'd assume he's interested in making more than $2, but there is a larger kernel of truth in your general point, and that is Carley is a bit different from other developers in this town. he does seem to have a genuine interest in building a legacy tower for himself, something he can point to and say "look at that, i built it. i know some of my earlier projects were architectural disasters, but i finally got it right and did this city proud". from hearing him speak wen he was running the spire project, he does have a genuine love for chicago and i do think he now wants to build something that will truly stand out and be a net benefit to the cityscape and to our collective civic pride. i know most developers scoff at such dewy-eyed romanticism, but i think carley has had a real change of heart and wants to make up for some of his previous mistakes.

honte
Apr 16, 2008, 6:26 PM
^ Absolutely.

Alliance
Apr 16, 2008, 6:33 PM
^ It's David Roeder, not Kamin.
*faceplam* My apologies.

well, he's still a businessman, so i'd assume he's interested in making more than $2, but there is a larger kernel of truth in your general point, and that is Carley is a bit different from other developers in this town. he does seem to have a genuine interest in building a legacy tower for himself, something he can point to and say "look at that, i built it. i know some of my earlier projects were architectural disasters, but i finally got it right and did this city proud". from hearing him speak wen he was running the spire project, he does have a genuine love for chicago and i do think he now wants to build something that will truly stand out and be a net benefit to the cityscape and to our collective civic pride. i know most developers scoff at such dewy-eyed romanticism, but i think carley has had a real change of heart and wants to make up for some of his previous mistakes.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Juan_M2118
Apr 16, 2008, 8:33 PM
:D I've been told by a "very reliable source" that once again, ROEDER HAS IT WRONG

Victor, it seems that you are a very reliable person to talk to when it comes to this! It seems like you know your stuff, and actually give out lots of information! so, IN YOUR OPINION, do you think there is a chance for this tower to go up anytime this year or begining of next?

harryc
Apr 17, 2008, 2:34 AM
SideKick - future posts will be to Chicago Boom Rundown.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SAa2cENr0LI/AAAAAAAAiAs/C5bRsHBkfvc/P1300624.JPG?imgmax=640

http://lh3.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SAa2dUNr0MI/AAAAAAAAiA4/OYPh-BQU0FU/2008_04_16d.JPG?imgmax=800

bnk
Apr 18, 2008, 12:39 AM
nevermind

Dalton
Apr 19, 2008, 12:36 AM
Someday there will be a civic group dedicated to the preservation of downtown Chicago's rapidly dwindling surface parking lots.

Alliance
Apr 19, 2008, 12:40 AM
They are an important part of Chicago's history ;)

Nowhereman1280
Apr 19, 2008, 12:51 AM
There are two huge dumpsters inside the fenced off area. What could they be for? The remains of the gate, the metal barrier, and the light poles?

Juan_M2118
Apr 19, 2008, 2:03 AM
There are two huge dumpsters inside the fenced off area. What could they be for? The remains of the gate, the metal barrier, and the light poles?

it would be awesome if the dumpster would be for site cleaning or anything like that, it would mean that they are probably going to build it, who knows.
This project is not talked as much as it would( being a very tall proposed building in the chi) Please It would be awesome if you can take pics and post them, maybe people can especulate more about what might happen.

BVictor1
Apr 19, 2008, 2:11 AM
:D

Victor, it seems that you are a very reliable person to talk to when it comes to this! It seems like you know your stuff, and actually give out lots of information! so, IN YOUR OPINION, do you think there is a chance for this tower to go up anytime this year or begining of next?

That'll depend on the housing markets.

This year no.

The beginning of next year, probably not.

Jibba
Apr 19, 2008, 2:12 AM
Someday there will be a civic group dedicated to the preservation of downtown Chicago's rapidly dwindling surface parking lots.

Walking around River North makes me think that that day is pitifully far off. Good to hear about some kind of activity occurring in the parking lot of discussion though.

BVictor1
Apr 19, 2008, 2:20 AM
it would be awesome if the dumpster would be for site cleaning or anything like that, it would mean that they are probably going to build it, who knows.
This project is not talked as much as it would( being a very tall proposed building in the chi) Please It would be awesome if you can take pics and post them, maybe people can especulate more about what might happen.

Remember that they are going to start construction on the rental tower soon.

W=A still needs to go before the plan commission.

Also, don't expect a 400' tall anteanna on top of W=A. I was told that if any broadcast equipment was incorporated into the building, it would be incorporated into the screen/wedge at the top of the structure.

This building wasn't designed as a point tower I was told.

Juan_M2118
Apr 19, 2008, 2:30 AM
Remember that they are going to start construction on the rental tower soon.

W=A still needs to go before the plan commission.

Also, don't expect a 400' tall anteanna on top of W=A. I was told that if any broadcast equipment was incorporated into the building, it would be incorporated into the screen/wedge at the top of the structure.

This building wasn't designed as a point tower I was told.

Well then, the only thing we could do is hope everything goes right with the construction of the new tower. IF everything goes right, maybe there could be more hope, but ive been looking at this thread and somewhere it said that W=A would start after half of next year(july, august). I hope that comes true, but still, there's a long wait. One last question, you said that the construction would start soon, do you know how soon this is? like next month or july?:)
THANKS

jet cm
Apr 19, 2008, 12:10 PM

Those are the containers they use to haul away Thorium. Those familiar with that area have seen them at the neighboring sites at their startups.

It is a very good sign of forward movement.

Juan_M2118
Apr 19, 2008, 3:44 PM
Those are the containers they use to haul away Thorium. Those familiar with that area have seen them at the neighboring sites at their startups.

It is a very good sign of forward movement.

Yes those containers could be a sign of farward movement, lets hope it is like

that. I just want this building to be built, I think it's so much more unique,

and different than the spire, this could actually be my favorite building out of

this boom.

harryc
May 3, 2008, 3:22 AM
Activity on the site of the partner tower
April 30
http://lh3.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SBvZsmARGeI/AAAAAAAAkSw/pEdjC8iYktA/P1320595.JPG?imgmax=800

http://lh4.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SBvZn2ARGcI/AAAAAAAAkSY/LnBw9xC0D14/2008_04_30A.JPG?imgmax=800

May 2 Asphault scrapped off - trees & landscaping removed.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmichael/SBvZomARGdI/AAAAAAAAkSk/s_d089TN4yo/2008_05_02A.JPG?imgmax=800

mediaman
May 3, 2008, 3:23 AM
Excavators have begun digging up the parking lot. Is this more soil testing or are they starting to excavate the rental building here?

Nowhereman1280
May 3, 2008, 4:40 AM
Nice it looks like they have begun construction in earnest by beginning removal of the asphalt.

OhioGuy
May 3, 2008, 5:32 AM
I thought the neighborhood residents were still against this building from happening in its current design due to the big awful parking podium? Yet they're starting to dig already?

ardecila
May 3, 2008, 5:43 AM
Right, but I think a building of this size has already been approved in the Cityfront Center PD a decade ago, so the rental tower doesn't need new approval. Hopefully, the developers will be responsive to SOAR's demands.

Alliance
May 3, 2008, 2:27 PM
Hopefully, the developers will be responsive to SOAR's demands.

Seconded.

BVictor1
May 3, 2008, 3:54 PM
If we are going to post poctures for the rental tower in this thread, I suhggest we change the name so that people don't get confused.

Nowhereman1280
May 3, 2008, 4:04 PM
^^^ Isn't it going to be nearly 700'? What is the height on the rental again? I say if its more than 650', then give it its own thread just because its too big to let it get lost in the Boom Rundown and too confusing to put this and W=A into the same thread.

OhioGuy
May 3, 2008, 4:08 PM
If we are going to post poctures for the rental tower in this thread, I suhggest we change the name so that people don't get confused.

I agree... or just separate the posts regarding the rental tower and create a new thread for it. That way if/when Waldorf=Astoria begins construction, this thread can remain for it since the majority of the posts already in this thread are about W=A.

BVictor1
May 3, 2008, 4:20 PM
^^^ Isn't it going to be nearly 700'? What is the height on the rental again? I say if its more than 650', then give it its own thread just because its too big to let it get lost in the Boom Rundown and too confusing to put this and W=A into the same thread.

No,

It's more between 550' - 600'

Alliance
May 3, 2008, 4:25 PM
Did they cut floors? I remeber it being 700' as well.

aaron38
May 3, 2008, 6:00 PM
No, the first rough estimate I ever saw was ~600', then it came in as 576' from the architect.

andydie
May 3, 2008, 6:14 PM
cool, probably a future tower to cover with my vids:) You should make an extra thread in skyscraper construction as anything above 500ยด is allowed there

SkyscraperMan
May 4, 2008, 10:39 PM
Glad to see some activity has begun. Yet another great skyscraper for Chicago! :tup:

Alliance
May 5, 2008, 12:31 AM
Lets not get too excited. We're starting with the warm-up round.

jcchii
May 5, 2008, 2:24 AM
can someone put up at least a quick link to a render (if there is one)?

jc5680
May 5, 2008, 2:56 AM
can someone put up at least a quick link to a render (if there is one)?

Not sure if this is the absolutely most recent render, but this was posted originally a few pages back by Rocket1

https://community.emporis.com/images/6/2007/12/577384.jpg

Beck4ABigChicago
May 5, 2008, 6:41 AM
Not sure if this is the absolutely most recent render, but this was posted originally a few pages back by Rocket1

https://community.emporis.com/images/6/2007/12/577384.jpg

Not a bad looking little building for a warm-up I'd say. Just out of curiosity, are they putting the second tower at risk by putting up the first one, or is the second tower completely different as far as the market they are targeting? Seems like they could decrease supply by skipping this smaller tower.

Sir Isaac Newton
May 5, 2008, 7:11 AM
Not a bad looking little building for a warm-up I'd say. Just out of curiosity, are they putting the second tower at risk by putting up the first one, or is the second tower completely different as far as the market they are targeting? Seems like they could decrease supply by skipping this smaller tower.

1st tower will be a rental apartment, so it won't be increasing the supply of condos in any way.

gramsjdg
May 5, 2008, 5:21 PM
This tower would complement WA nicely.

gratenate
May 25, 2008, 2:50 AM

I'm going to need to be a founding member. I just read through this whole thread drooling at the W=A, only to find it's being built where I park when we go to the movie theater?!

I guess you can tell I'm a little behind on the movies... :haha:

spyguy
May 30, 2008, 7:34 PM
A proposed amendment to Residential Business Planned Development No. 368
and Lake Michigan and Chicago Lakefront Protection Application No. 535
submitted by TFC Park Street, L.L.C. The applicant proposes to amend the
planned development and seeks Lake Michigan and Chicago Lakefront Protection
District approval to develop Parcels 7 and 7A of Subarea B of the planned
development, generally located at 435 - 457 North Park Drive, 320 - 342 Upper
East North Water Street, and 432 - 456 North New Street, with a 107-story hotel/
residential building containing approximately 348 hotel rooms, 353 residential
units, and 570 off-street parking spaces and an approximately 0.6-acre public
plaza. (42nd Ward)

VA_Gentleman
May 30, 2008, 8:44 PM
What exactly does this mean to the project?

cbotnyse
May 30, 2008, 9:10 PM
0.6 acre public park is weak. We dont need another mid-rise rental tower with an ugly brick parking garage on this site, but whatever.

BVictor1
May 30, 2008, 9:19 PM
0.6 acre public park is weak. We dont need another mid-rise rental tower with an ugly brick parking garage on this site, but whatever.

The park really isn't weak because if real money is invested then you can also get a renovated Ogden Plaza, which the developers have consdered doing.

cbotnyse
May 31, 2008, 12:40 AM
The park really isn't weak because if real money is invested then you can also get a renovated Ogden Plaza, which the developers have consdered doing.and if that doesn't happen? a half an acre is weak.

Ogden Plaza sorely needs a face lift. Does the city own that property?

Alliance
May 31, 2008, 1:25 AM
...because what the city desperately needs is more boring, unused plazas.

cbotnyse
May 31, 2008, 1:42 AM
...because what the city desperately needs is more boring, unused plazas.park space, Alliance, park space. And a well design one is non-existent in Streeterville, so yes, it desperately needs one.

It doesnt desperately need another rental tower with a street level brick parking garage.

the urban politician
May 31, 2008, 2:07 AM
It doesnt desperately need another rental tower with a street level brick parking garage.

^ I'm gonna have to go ahead and AGREE with that

honte
May 31, 2008, 3:36 AM
^ Parkview should take care of the needs of open space in this area. And there is also a dinky little plaza planned on the McClurg Ct. proposal. Don't forget about Cityfront Plaza either, which has a nice little green swath that people seem never to use.

Add to this the riverfront, Pioneer Court, and the fact that the Lakefront is about 2 blocks east, and I think the area is pretty rich in various open spaces. It was nicer along those lines before NW Hospital started bulldozing everything, since a lot of those buildings had green elements, but it's too late now.

Hopefully also the Lakeshore East park will soon be accessible from the lakefront trail, making it more than a dog run for the people who live there.

Beck4ABigChicago
May 31, 2008, 7:25 AM
park space, Alliance, park space. And a well design one is non-existent in Streeterville, so yes, it desperately needs one.

Lake-front...no more open space/park space needed. However, yes, clearly they could do more with the tower, but hey, I like rentals in that area....at least until I can afford to buy :-)

cbotnyse
May 31, 2008, 12:45 PM
I know the lakefront is a few blocks away, but I am thinking more grass and trees, than sand and water. I haven't seen the park plans for Parkview so hopefully thats good. And honte, people use that little patch of green all the time at cityfront. My buddy and I have gone to throw the football around a few times and every time I've seen people sitting there, so I dont really know what you're talking about.

I just really think the rental tower on this site will greatly reduce the pedestrian experience of Illinois St. W=A is a beautiful structure that is perfectly setback from the street and something like this (http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/cbotnyse/my%20photos/southmichiganavepark.jpg) and this (http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/cbotnyse/my%20photos/flowers.jpg)(photos by me) would be a much better use of the land, than another tall, brick parking garage for Streeterville.

(I know spyguy or BV are going to jump in here and say the developer had to sell the land to build W=A, blah blah blah. I get it, dont bother. It still sucks.)

honte
May 31, 2008, 3:57 PM
And honte, people use that little patch of green all the time at cityfront. My buddy and I have gone to throw the football around a few times and every time I've seen people sitting there, so I dont really know what you're talking about.

Good, I guess I get there at the wrong times. I used to go sit there for hours in the evening and I was usually alone or close to it.

In any case, I don't know how a building can be worse for the "pedestrian experience" than a surface parking lot. The road from Michigan Avenue to Navy Pier should be lined with activity in my opinion, and I believe this rental tower has retail in the base, no? I used to be so embarrassed of that ugly and empty stretch, I would tell people to head down Chicago to the lake and go south from there.

Also, by the way, as far as I understand it, the rental tower base will be clad in metal panels similar to the Parkview tower, not brick.

cbotnyse
May 31, 2008, 4:06 PM
In any case, I don't know how a building can be worse for the "pedestrian experience" than a surface parking lot.Good God no! I'd rather see a landscaped park. I NEVER said or even suggested keeping a surface lot.
Also, by the way, as far as I understand it, the rental tower base will be clad in metal panels similar to the Parkview tower, not brick.Thats good news, I hope it looks good, but I doubt it will. There are other examples in Streeterville that have retail on the first level and then a tall brick garage above it. It gives the street a very sterile, uninviting feel, that this area doesn't need more of.

SamInTheLoop
Jun 4, 2008, 3:10 AM
Seen on preliminary agenda for this month's Plan Commission meeting (Spyguy posted the agenda item descritption above). Hopefully all the details have been hammered out so this isn't one that gets repeatedly pulled at the last minute!

spyguy
Jun 4, 2008, 10:16 PM
http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.com/cgi-bin/page.pl?id=2166

Chicago: Waldorf-Astoria Hotel and Residence Tower, E North Water St. and North Park Dr., 2-acre mixed-use development, November 2009, $500 million.

VivaLFuego
Jun 4, 2008, 11:58 PM
Does anyone have a site plan or detailed rendering of the Parkview park? might that take care of Streeterville's park needs?

And a big :tup: for the construction bid...

Pandemonious
Jun 7, 2008, 2:19 AM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b276/Pandemonious/parkview.jpg

Thats the best I could come up with. A pathway leading into the park flows under the rectangular protruding part of parkview west that floats above it on columns.

emathias
Jun 15, 2008, 6:03 AM
I know the lakefront is a few blocks away, but I am thinking more grass and trees, than sand and water. ...

This statement has me wondering if you know the area well enough to be qualified to comment on whether or not it needs parkland. The area in front of Navy Pier to the south is all grass and trees, as is the area directly north of Grand and Lake Point Tower, and then there's Olive Park with a lot of open grass and trees and fountains.

Then about a 7 minute walk to the north, you have that parkland along Chicago Avenue, east of the MCA. And just across the River is the grassy path along the south side of the River.

Parks are great, but we really don't need one on every block.

cbotnyse
Jun 15, 2008, 2:07 PM
This statement has me wondering if you know the area well enough to be qualified to comment on whether or not it needs parkland. The area in front of Navy Pier to the south is all grass and trees, as is the area directly north of Grand and Lake Point Tower, and then there's Olive Park with a lot of open grass and trees and fountains.

Then about a 7 minute walk to the north, you have that parkland along Chicago Avenue, east of the MCA. And just across the River is the grassy path along the south side of the River.

Parks are great, but we really don't need one on every block.know the area? I've lived a half mile from the W=A site for well over 3 years. does that qualify me? :rolleyes: I am well aware of the tiny green patches you mention, thanks. All of them, you notice, are along the lake front. How about one inland? is that too much to ask?

And please tell me what parks there are on every block in Streeterville and River North.

this patch of grass is about all Streeterville residents get away from the lake.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/cbotnyse/trump/cityfrontplazamx7.jpg

VivaLFuego
Jun 17, 2008, 7:36 PM
^cbotnyse,
Might the new park atop the parking garage at Parkview assuage your park demands? It's actually a rather large site, though it's pleasantness as a park/greenspace will of course depend on how it is landscaped and so on.

BVictor1
Jun 17, 2008, 7:52 PM
know the area? I've lived a half mile from the W=A site for well over 3 years. does that qualify me? :rolleyes: I am well aware of the tiny green patches you mention, thanks. All of them, you notice, are along the lake front. How about one inland? is that too much to ask?

And please tell me what parks there are on every block in Streeterville and River North.

this patch of grass is about all Streeterville residents get away from the lake.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/cbotnyse/trump/cityfrontplazamx7.jpg

There is also this thing called the riverwalk, both sides of the river mind you and DuSable Park which will hopefully be completed within the next 5 years. We know theat there aren't parks on every corner, but the area isn't totally barren. As mentioned above, there will be the park at Parkview and there will be a pocket park at the CBS site.

cbotnyse
Jun 17, 2008, 8:06 PM
^cbotnyse,
Might the new park atop the parking garage at Parkview assuage your park demands? It's actually a rather large site, though it's pleasantness as a park/greenspace will of course depend on how it is landscaped and so on.The Parkview park space will hopefully be nice yes. I haven't seen a nice render yet, but the site is big enough to accommodate good park space.

There is also this thing called the riverwalk, both sides of the river mind you and DuSable Park which will hopefully be completed within the next 5 years. We know theat there aren't parks on every corner, but the area isn't totally barren. As mentioned above, there will be the park at Parkview and there will be a pocket park at the CBS site.tell me how much greenspace/parkland is on the north side of the river from Michigan Ave. to the Spire? right, none. (but yes DuSable park will be nice)

I'm not asking for parks on every corner and away from any water, the area is totally barren of green space. IMO, the W=A site is perfect for that, not some boring rental tower with an above ground, brick parking garage.

BVictor1
Jun 17, 2008, 8:09 PM
The Parkview park space will hopefully be nice yes. I haven't seen a nice render yet, but the site is big enough to accommodate good park space.

tell me how much greenspace/parkland is on the north side of the river from Michigan Ave. to the Spire? right, none. (but yes DuSable park will be nice)

I'm not asking for parks on every corner and away from any water, the area is totally barren of green space. IMO, the W=A site is perfect for that, not some boring rental tower with an above ground, brick parking garage.

talk to the alderman...

spyguy
Jun 17, 2008, 8:10 PM
^cbotnyse,
Might the new park atop the parking garage at Parkview assuage your park demands? It's actually a rather large site, though it's pleasantness as a park/greenspace will of course depend on how it is landscaped and so on.

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/8892/23225070dr0.jpghttp://img107.imageshack.us/img107/4500/52049923as2.jpg
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/2615/pvw4ja2.jpg

cbotnyse
Jun 17, 2008, 8:15 PM
^^ I like that a lot. thanks for posting. any guesses how big that is? (I want to compare it to the 0.6 acres slated for W=A)

BVictor1
Jun 17, 2008, 8:21 PM
^^ I like that a lot. thanks for posting. any guesses how big that is? (I want to compare it to the 0.6 acres slated for W=A)

Bout 70,000 sq ft.

BVictor1
Jun 19, 2008, 11:33 PM
APPROVED

I was told that they'd like to start marketing this tower sometime this year.

The sales center will be in NBC Tower, so I assume those who come out of the spire sales center who can't afford it will just go to the next floor or something :cheers:

JMO_0121
Jun 19, 2008, 11:37 PM
APPROVED

The sales center will be in NBC Tower, so I assume those who come out of the spire sales center who can't afford it will just go to the next floor or something :cheers:

BEST NEWS EVER I can't wait till they start marketing, to see how this baby will shape up.

Alliance
Jun 19, 2008, 11:40 PM
Superb news. :banana:

Actually, now that I think about it...Carley could use hsi cut from the Spire to finance Waldorf.

cbotnyse
Jun 19, 2008, 11:44 PM
APPROVED

The sales center will be in NBC Tower, so I assume those who come out of the spire sales center who can't afford it will just go to the next floor or something :cheers:I wish I was one of those people! :slob:

honte
Jun 20, 2008, 1:43 AM
Excellent news... and highly ambitious.

I was envisioning this tower while coming down LSD yesterday... the way W=A, the Spire, and Trump will "unfold" to the west in progression will be truly amazing.

Chicagoguy
Jun 20, 2008, 1:55 AM
APPROVED

I am so excited to see this one. It will add greatly to our skyline and the Waldorf Astoria will be a great luxury hotel to add to our city!

cbotnyse
Jun 20, 2008, 1:57 AM
I was envisioning this tower while coming down LSD yesterday... the way W=A, the Spire, and Trump will "unfold" to the west in progression will be truly amazing.I do that every time. That view looking down the main branch from LSD is one the greatest urban views in the world.

the urban politician
Jun 20, 2008, 2:03 AM
Approved? Marketing next year?

Awwwww......HELL YEAH BABY

Was there any mention about when the rental tower will start?

cbotnyse
Jun 20, 2008, 2:05 AM

Was there any mention about when the rental tower will start?I know at least site prep has started, but I dont think foundation work has yet.

Nowhereman1280
Jun 20, 2008, 5:18 AM

Bvic actually said this year...

Hot dog, Chicago continues to amaze!

honte
Jun 20, 2008, 6:02 AM
Do: Get excited about this tower.

Don't: Forget that Carley is a man with big ideas... which are sometimes a bit bigger than he can muster. I really like the guy and wish him all the luck in the world, but either the market had better improve or he'd better be ready to sit it out for a while. Or maybe he'll go on an "international road show" :).

BVictor1
Jun 20, 2008, 2:47 PM

Was there any mention about when the rental tower will start?

NO!!!

I said marketing would start this year...

The rental tower has nothing to do with the developers of Waldorf. 2 seperate companies. As mentioned, site prep has begun.

Steely,

I was wondering if we should have a combo thread with the rental tower and Waldorf combined? I know they are seperate developers, but I think we should be discussing the parcel as a whole and just post the construction pics of the rental tower here?

cbotnyse
Jun 20, 2008, 2:51 PM
^^ is there a separate thread for the rentail tower? Whats the latest news on that parking garage? Hasn't SOAR tried to stop it? or demand it be underground?