PDA

View Full Version : Missed opportunities in downtown Phoenix

HX_Guy
Oct 12, 2007, 11:42 PM
Browsing through the FAA archives for past projects, quite a few come up that already made it to the FAA review process, which means they must have been somewhat along.

Does anyone have information on what happened to these? Why they never broke ground?

2003: 40 story hotel - NW Corner of 3rd St and Jefferson - Approved @ 405'

2001: BUILDING 385FT. PLUS 45 FT ANTENNA TOWER - County of Maricopa (Builder?)

1999: BUILDING AT CENTRAL AND WASHINGTON - 450'

NIXPHX77
Oct 13, 2007, 12:04 AM
Good research - thanks!

i think the hotel was part of Collier Center (Marriott)

i think the county bldg was the Plaza de Maricopa project
for county admin. hq

the other, at central and washington, I'm not sure; perhaps
original plans for Phelps-Dodge?

Phxbyrd211
Oct 13, 2007, 1:57 AM
I'd respond to your question HX, but then you might not answer me and send the thread you opened to the bottom like you did to that one trashing DT's future compared to Tempe.

DevdogAZ
Oct 16, 2007, 10:35 PM
Yes, the first one was part of the Collier Center master plan, and it stalled when the hotel market floundered, and when things looked good again, there were already several other hotel proposals in the works. It's a great site for a hotel, with the Convention Center directly across the street, so it will still probably happen, but I think developers are probably waiting to see what CC business will be like and whether the Sheraton and whatever hotel will be part of CityScape fill the need.

I'm not sure if that was the Plaza de Maricopa, since it doesn't list the location. Perhaps it was at the site where they're building the new courthouse, just south of Jefferson.

As for the third one, I agree with NIX, it was probably the Phelps Dodge site.