PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : [DARTMOUTH] King's Wharf | U/C

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17

Hali87
Feb 24, 2012, 7:21 AM
Frankly, if we saw most new development in HRM's regional centre occuring like this (of course at varrying densities and heights), I wouldn't be upset. In a way, this is kind of setting out Halifax's 'typical style' - much like the glass/steel condos in Vancouver. At least, I think...

I thought the same thing. Bishop's Landing is another development that has always been held up as an example of effective mixed-use waterfront space, and King's Wharf is fundamentally pretty similar. I think developments like King's Wharf and Bishop's Landing will be increasingly common on large parcels of land, and the Vic, Trillium, and Hydrostone Place on smaller lots. By the sounds of it, the rest of Dartmouth Cove will be developed in a similar character and scale to King's Wharf - low-to-highrise mixed use buildings with an emphasis on pedestrians and active transport. The Plans for the next phase of development at Mill Cove are also pretty similar to King's Wharf or Bishop's Landing.

I like the way that the developer has kept the actual building designs pretty close to what is shown in the models. The development as a whole has a very stylized design which also happens to be very LEED-friendly, so maybe this type of building will in fact become part of Halifax's "signature style" for the next several years in the same way that narrow green-and-silver condos have come to define 21st century Vancouver. Maybe in Halifax it will be fancy blue-and-white boxes? We already have Purdy's Wharf and 1801 Hollis.

Hali87
Feb 24, 2012, 7:52 AM
In any case, the middle row of buildings is definitely a better looking study in squares and rectangles than the CD Plus building! ;)

halifaxboyns
Feb 24, 2012, 7:55 AM
The variation in height comes when you travel west to east. The whole area will be hill shaped with 18 story buildings across the road from the 12 story ones being built right now and then less height right on the water.

I had thought it was like that. Essentially like a ( except on it's side.

kph06
Feb 24, 2012, 12:16 PM
Just since yesterday they have scaled back the marketing presence of the Aqua Vista on the website. Floor plans are off and there is no link to its own dedicated page - all you can do now is "Register your interest".

Greenguy
Feb 24, 2012, 4:45 PM
The Aqua Vista is the fourth building in the row... not the third. First is Anchorage (which is rental apartments), second is Keelson which you see now. Third is Big Sea, or something like that, which is a mirror image of Keelson and finally fourth is Aqua Vista.

Keelson (Bldg B) and Big Sea Bldg C) were always meant to be condos but Aqua Vista (Bldg D) was to be an office building... but its designation was changed in Dec and announced in January 2012 due to the soft commercial space market. So now all three, Keelson, Big Sea and Aqua Vista are all condos.

Aqua Vista was always to look different from Keelson and Big Sea. If you look at the original artist's impression you will see the four buildings all there in a row behind the taller ones which will eventually block all their views of Halifax. Aqua Vista will retaint he best water view... hence the name.

I am told that they will be pouring the concrete for Big Sea and Aqua Visita by month's end... hmmm... that would be next week so I will take that info with a grain of salt. :rolleyes: In any case we are suppose to see those two rise at the same time just as Anchorage and Keelson did.

By the way... great photos here. Really great.

bluenoser
Feb 24, 2012, 4:51 PM
Welcome Greenguy and thanks for the info! I love this development and this probably isn't a big deal, but I've always found it strange that they decided to put these shorter residential buildings behind the taller ones (relative to the harbour). It looks like the first three buildings will have a pretty hindered view of the harbour / downtown Halifax. I noticed on some renderings that they almost seem to be advertising a view by blacking out future development. Of course, many views would have been blocked even with the shorter buildings in front but at least they're smaller and spaced further apart.

Likewise, it looks like these buildings won't be overly visible from the Halifax waterfront and so they won't really contribute to the Dartmouth skyline from that angle, whereas there could have been a layered effect. On the other hand, if some taller buildings eventually end up at Dartmouth Cove then it would definitely add to the 'skyline' in that area.

Greenguy
Feb 24, 2012, 4:53 PM
[QUOTE=halifaxboyns;5602765]
But doesn't this building rendering show commercial at grade? Or am I looking at the diagram incorrectly? It appears commercial on the ground floor -

Yes you are right, there is commercial space ont he first floors of Keelson and the next two buildings (Bldg C "Big Sea" and Bldg D "Aqua Vista". They were always meant to have shops, a pharmacy, hopefully a Starbucks or market. KW is calling those floors "commerical" and some others buildings are designated to have offcie space. One bldg is a hotel. So KW seems to be using the term "commercial" to be the businnes resident on the ground floors of the other buildings which are designated in their literature as Apartment, Condo, Office, Hotel, Conference Centre, etc.

kph06
Feb 24, 2012, 5:30 PM
The Aqua Vista is the fourth building in the row... not the third. First is Anchorage (which is rental apartments), second is Keelson which you see now. Third is Big Sea, or something like that, which is a mirror image of Keelson and finally fourth is Aqua Vista.

Keelson (Bldg B) and Big Sea Bldg C) were always meant to be condos but Aqua Vista (Bldg D) was to be an office building... but its designation was changed in Dec and announced in January 2012 due to the soft commercial space market. So now all three, Keelson, Big Sea and Aqua Vista are all condos.

Aqua Vista was always to look different from Keelson and Big Sea. If you look at the original artist's impression you will see the four buildings all there in a row behind the taller ones which will eventually block all their views of Halifax. Aqua Vista will retaint he best water view... hence the name.

I am told that they will be pouring the concrete for Big Sea and Aqua Visita by month's end... hmmm... that would be next week so I will take that info with a grain of salt. :rolleyes: In any case we are suppose to see those two rise at the same time just as Anchorage and Keelson did.

By the way... great photos here. Really great.

Ahhh, that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up. The Aqua Vista floorplans did look just like the floorplate for the 4th building. I would suspect they will have to drive piles for the next couple buildings before any concrete is poured?

worldlyhaligonian
Feb 24, 2012, 8:49 PM
Seems like Dartmouth has potential to outpace Halifax downtown development given KW and the WDC and other lots. Time will tell, but we've already got 2 KW buildings up, so things are definitely moving along.

pblaauw
Feb 24, 2012, 11:11 PM
Seems like Dartmouth has potential to outpace Halifax downtown development given KW and the WDC and other lots. Time will tell, but we've already got 2 KW buildings up, so things are definitely moving along.

It's too bad HRM is all represented by a single council. A little cross-harbour mayoral "my city's growing faster than your city" rivalry would have been fun in an election year. :)

worldlyhaligonian
Feb 25, 2012, 12:05 AM
It's too bad HRM is all represented by a single council. A little cross-harbour mayoral "my city's growing faster than your city" rivalry would have been fun in an election year. :)

Yeah, seriously. A little competition in the city would be a good thing.

-Harlington-
Feb 25, 2012, 4:32 PM
From Halifax :

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7197/6782482782_246632350e_z.jpg

halifaxboyns
Feb 26, 2012, 9:23 AM
I thought the same thing. Bishop's Landing is another development that has always been held up as an example of effective mixed-use waterfront space, and King's Wharf is fundamentally pretty similar. I think developments like King's Wharf and Bishop's Landing will be increasingly common on large parcels of land, and the Vic, Trillium, and Hydrostone Place on smaller lots. By the sounds of it, the rest of Dartmouth Cove will be developed in a similar character and scale to King's Wharf - low-to-highrise mixed use buildings with an emphasis on pedestrians and active transport. The Plans for the next phase of development at Mill Cove are also pretty similar to King's Wharf or Bishop's Landing.

I like the way that the developer has kept the actual building designs pretty close to what is shown in the models. The development as a whole has a very stylized design which also happens to be very LEED-friendly, so maybe this type of building will in fact become part of Halifax's "signature style" for the next several years in the same way that narrow green-and-silver condos have come to define 21st century Vancouver. Maybe in Halifax it will be fancy blue-and-white boxes? We already have Purdy's Wharf and 1801 Hollis.

Bishop's landing is what I would use as an example of a development that responds to difficult sites where viewplanes are around. If you look at the way it's situated, it's virtually covered in a viewplane, except for where the tower portion is. The rest of the site is height capped through viewplane 6. So by responding to that 'problem' - you get a very nicely scaled building with an internal courtyard and then some additional height where it's allowed.

King's Wharf is an example of the same thing - but the viewplanes aren't as restrictive - so you could get 10+ in most of the site, but the iconic tower is where you can really rip it up and go tall as it's out of the viewplane.

Frankly, I don't have a problem with the viewplanes if a few of them are revisited as part of the regional centre plan. Personally, the one from Brightwood is stupid. It's private land - totally unnecessary. If that one was removed, you would see way taller buildings in DT Dartmouth (which makes me wonder if King's Wharf might come in and ask to amend their DA approval to go taller).

I have a sneaking suspicion you are probably right when it comes to the scale of buildings and parcel size. Vic and Trillium are good examples of mid-to-high rise on smaller parcels, where as KW is a good example of mid-to-high on large parcels.

I suspect over the next few years there will be a lot of land deals being done very quietly in many of the areas the Regional Centre Plan will identify for growth and we'll see the level of development go up. Considering HRM moved the Regional Centre up and pushed back the RP+5 because of the ship contract - there is a huge push to really capture a lot of growth in the RC.

Jstaleness
Mar 4, 2012, 6:56 PM
Here are a few from my cell. They are extending the filling today.

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu360/jstaleness/IMG00064-20120304-1333.jpg

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu360/jstaleness/IMG00063-20120304-1333.jpg

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu360/jstaleness/IMG00065-20120304-1334.jpg

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu360/jstaleness/IMG00066-20120304-1334.jpg

I think I need a cash incentive to remember an actual camera. Zoom stinks on my cell.

fenwick16
Mar 4, 2012, 7:50 PM
Here are a few from my cell. They are extending the filling today.

I think I need a cash incentive to remember an actual camera. Zoom stinks on my cell.

Thanks for the updates.

I bought a Cannon Powershot A495 for under a hundred dollars a few months ago. The images are much better than my iPhone.

someone123
Mar 4, 2012, 10:00 PM
I wonder what the highrise count in Halifax is today? In the past there were something like 70 buildings with 12 storeys or more. Recently a lot have been built. Soon there will be 4 at King's Wharf, and 4 built as part of the Panorama development in Clayton Park. There might soon be around 100 or so in the Halifax metro area.

someone123
Mar 4, 2012, 10:03 PM
Bishop's landing is what I would use as an example of a development that responds to difficult sites where viewplanes are around. If you look at the way it's situated, it's virtually covered in a viewplane, except for where the tower portion is. The rest of the site is height capped through viewplane 6. So by responding to that 'problem' - you get a very nicely scaled building with an internal courtyard and then some additional height where it's allowed.

The Bishop's Landing situation was disappointing in that it was a great start that fizzled, for whatever reason. There could have been a large scale multi-phase development along 4 major waterfront lots from the power plant to Summit Place (actually Southwest, the Bishop's developer, even bid on the Salter site). Instead we had one waterfront development and then nothing for a decade. Bishop's Landing is still pretty much surrounded by parking lots. The Cunard block redevelopment should get underway next year but two major developments during a period of about 15 years is really unfortunate.

King's Wharf seems like it has a lot more momentum. We will hopefully see a steady stream of construction and basically get a complete new neighbourhood out of the deal. That is the scale of infill that is needed from a regional planning perspective.

DigitalNinja
Mar 4, 2012, 10:34 PM
I really like how this development is coming along! I can't wait until it's finished and just walk through the place.

Jstaleness
Mar 4, 2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the updates.

I bought a Cannon Powershot A495 for under a hundred dollars a few months ago. The images are much better than my iPhone.

Haha! Sadly it has nothing to do with cost. I own 3 digital camera's ranging from point and shoot to somewhat professional. It's just a matter of never having them when I need them. I don't like leaving electronics in my glove box during winter months.

RyeJay
Mar 4, 2012, 11:49 PM
I'm glad there are no signs of slowing for this project. It was, after all, commenced before the shipbuilding contract came into the picture.

Jstaleness
Mar 7, 2012, 1:22 AM
These 2 buildings alone grab your attention from most view points in Halifax. I was in Summit Place today and when you look over to Dartmouth this is the first thing that grabs your attention whether you want it to or not. The Tower can only add to this.

pblaauw
Mar 7, 2012, 3:41 AM
The first two towers are now visible on Google Maps, as is the Trillium, and probably others that I haven't checked.

The quality of the sat. images is poor, but it's updated. Oh, and the airport parkade is also visible.

hoser111
Mar 7, 2012, 3:43 AM
According to the News letter sent out today, only 6 units left in the Keelson and Aqua Vista is already %30 sold. Impressive!

Also makes one wonder why other proposals like the Alexander have not moved forward. There seems to be an appetite out there.

someone123
Mar 7, 2012, 4:05 AM
Also makes one wonder why other proposals like the Alexander have not moved forward. There seems to be an appetite out there.

It does seem like a great time for the Alexander. Maybe we'll hear about it soon.

Hopefully they'll uncover the restored Keith Hall facade soon as well.

halifaxboyns
Mar 7, 2012, 3:13 PM
Wow, those are impressive stats for how well this development is doing. Certainly supports the position I've felt for a while: HRM is under built for urban condoes in the regional centre.

I wonder if the group that could be doing the brewery is still running into financing problems? There were a number of projects which we heard were starting up but have run into financing hickups since.

worldlyhaligonian
Mar 7, 2012, 5:37 PM
Wow, those are impressive stats for how well this development is doing. Certainly supports the position I've felt for a while: HRM is under built for urban condoes in the regional centre.

I wonder if the group that could be doing the brewery is still running into financing problems? There were a number of projects which we heard were starting up but have run into financing hickups since.

I doubt its financing, it wasn't that long ago that they finished Salter's Gate... plus its obvious that work is going on with the facade.

someone123
Mar 7, 2012, 7:27 PM
For condos don't you normally see them try to pre-sell the units in order to obtain financing? As far as I know the Alexander has not been marketed at all. I figured that was because they'd prefer to wait until they could be sure to sell units at a reasonable rate.

Jstaleness
Mar 7, 2012, 11:39 PM
I will be near this again on the weekend. I will look out for starting signs of Aqua Vista and Big Sea. We have to assume that they won't technically rise until the first 2 no longer need a crane?

kph06
Mar 10, 2012, 9:08 PM
They are starting to shape up the breakwater for the future marina with the most recent infill, photos by me from today.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7199/6824264606_200d455b73_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7063/6824264850_34b6def616_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7060/6824261878_da94b94130_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7200/6970383907_2dd251a2e6_b.jpg

Greenguy
Mar 14, 2012, 1:31 AM
Your photos show the Keelson all buttoned up with windows from ground floor to the penthouse. Sadly no windows for the Archorage building, which was up first, but is rental apartments not a condo. Does this reveal a soft rental market?

kph06
Mar 14, 2012, 1:38 AM
Your photos show the Keelson all buttoned up with windows from ground floor to the penthouse. Sadly no windows for the Archorage building, which was up first, but is rental apartments not a condo. Does this reveal a soft rental market?

I would say its more a rush to get people who have paid a deposit on their condo, once they take up residency and the condo permit is approved the developer gets his money, and profit. The condo is money up front, where the apartment is a long term investment. So it makes sense he is pushing to free up capital for the next phases.

Greenguy
Mar 14, 2012, 4:08 PM
Yes, I thought this was the case, but with buildings B C and D (Keelson, Big Sea and Aqua Vista) all being condos, why start the construction with the apartment at all then? Why not wait to build Anchorage until after the condos are up, cash is in-flowing, and the the community established in order to then attract the long term returns of a rental market?

HRM
Mar 14, 2012, 5:23 PM

The Keelson actually topped out well before the Anchorage.

Greenguy
Mar 14, 2012, 11:49 PM
I see from the Kings Wharf website they are now advertising leases for Anchorage apartments, so I guess they expect to get working quickly on Anchorage.

kph06
Mar 15, 2012, 11:55 PM
Yes, I thought this was the case, but with buildings B C and D (Keelson, Big Sea and Aqua Vista) all being condos, why start the construction with the apartment at all then? Why not wait to build Anchorage until after the condos are up, cash is in-flowing, and the the community established in order to then attract the long term returns of a rental market?

Apartments have been fairly easy to get financing for compared condos during the economic slump in the last few years. This development is mostly financed through the developer and his friends and family, I assume much of that money would have been eaten up the site work and one building. So maybe they got bank financing for the Anchorage, then used the family/friend financing for the Keelson to avoid the hold ups with the pre-leasing banks require? The Aqua Vista was suppose to be office space, but they switched to residential due to the commercial slump - presumably they could have done rental or condo once this switch was made. I would assume the success of the Keelson led them to believe they could go condo.

kph06
Mar 26, 2012, 1:11 AM
Here are some photos I took today:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7046/7014910715_4640e01078_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7067/6868802204_197d44cbb0_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7207/7014914837_cd4b3e836a_b.jpg
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6117/7014909777_b34ee81315_b.jpg
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6051/7014913743_97980ea853_b.jpg
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6036/6868806212_9bc631d386_b.jpg
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6036/7014908729_d301435af1_b.jpg
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6234/6868807182_e3ab2ffcc9_b.jpg
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6223/6868805298_3bcaa04a23_b.jpg

And the view of Halifax from the site:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7120/6868808188_84c2ef4415_b.jpg

fenwick16
Mar 26, 2012, 4:27 AM
Here are some photos I took today:

And the view of Halifax from the site:

Thanks for the pictorial update.

I like the last shot (Halifax skyline). It will be interesting to see more cranes (Waterside, Nova Centre, TD Tower expansion ...). Hopefully something will happen with the TexPark site soon.

Chadillaccc
Mar 30, 2012, 4:45 AM
Wow they actually look pretty great for prefab! The second tower went up super quick. Anyone know when and which tower is going up next?

someone123
Mar 30, 2012, 5:13 AM
Next up I think is Aqua Vista (condo) and an apartment building -- basically two more buildings like the first two. I would guess that they'll be starting soon.

Here's the Aqua Vista rendering:

http://kingswharf.ca/images/uploads/aquavista-360.jpg
from kingswharf.ca

I agree that they look good for precast. With good design it is possible to build nice buildings even without high-end materials. There isn't a good excuse for ugly projects.

kph06
Apr 3, 2012, 7:29 PM
This is up at Community Council for a few changes, mainly Building D from commercial to residential. Judging by the report below, it looks like Building C will have a different look than originally proposed. It was supposed to be a clone of the Keelson, but judging by the reworked renderings it seems to be a blend between Building D and the Keelson.

Case 17308 (http://www.halifax.ca/Commcoun/hecc/documents/10.1.3Case17308KingsWharfsupplementaryreport.pdf)

someone123
Apr 4, 2012, 2:33 AM
In an article in ANS tonight Fares stated that he expects a late 2013 start for the main King's Wharf tower.

SekishikiMeikaiHa
Apr 12, 2012, 11:51 PM
King's Wharf fills a gap in the skyline:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7264/6926114928_4f0f9b40bd_b.jpg

Keith P.
Apr 13, 2012, 1:08 AM
Does anyone know the story on that breakwater or whatever it is in the foreground of that pic? It is obviously man-made and has been there for a long time from the looks of it, but I have never heard why or when it was built.

hoser111
Apr 13, 2012, 2:11 AM
What a waste of prime waterfront with that shunt yard there....

alps
Apr 13, 2012, 6:13 AM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l217/halps00/852f183a.jpg

The Keelson has a very different character from the back. I like the variety among these shorter towers.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l217/halps00/bfb3eccf.jpg

(own photos)

Haligonian88
Apr 16, 2012, 7:46 PM
Just received the King's Wharf newsletter update, for those of you who don't get it:

"Spring time at King's Wharf! It is now time to move forward into the warmth of the sun and start making plans to move into The Keelson. Not far now, we have approximately 5-6 months before we reach the estimated completion date of our first occupiable building at King's Wharf! The Keelson exterior finish has been completed and pre dry wall trades are almost finished on most of the floors. Drywall has begun on the lower levels concealing the wiring, water and gas lines. Tiling will begin next week on the lower floors.

The Anchorage, our rental building, is due at the beginning of December, 2012. Window installation has begun and is estimated to take 2 months to complete. Please see below for contact information on leasing a unit in The Anchorage.
We continue to sell options in our Iconic Tower, the luxury condo building due for late 2015. We are up to Option #109 out of a possible 150 units. This gives us great confidence in the absorption of this building into the real estate market. Stay tuned for the plans and pricing for The Iconic Tower due later this year."

resetcbu1
Apr 16, 2012, 8:10 PM
Just received the King's Wharf newsletter update, for those of you who don't get it:

"Spring time at King's Wharf! It is now time to move forward into the warmth of the sun and start making plans to move into The Keelson. Not far now, we have approximately 5-6 months before we reach the estimated completion date of our first occupiable building at King's Wharf! The Keelson exterior finish has been completed and pre dry wall trades are almost finished on most of the floors. Drywall has begun on the lower levels concealing the wiring, water and gas lines. Tiling will begin next week on the lower floors.

The Anchorage, our rental building, is due at the beginning of December, 2012. Window installation has begun and is estimated to take 2 months to complete. Please see below for contact information on leasing a unit in The Anchorage.
We continue to sell options in our Iconic Tower, the luxury condo building due for late 2015. We are up to Option #109 out of a possible 150 units. This gives us great confidence in the absorption of this building into the real estate market. Stay tuned for the plans and pricing for The Iconic Tower due later this year."

That is great news on the iconic tower, I am beyond excited to see that tower start and will be even beyond that to see a completion :D:D:D

Empire
Apr 16, 2012, 9:40 PM
King's Wharf fills a gap in the skyline:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7264/6926114928_4f0f9b40bd_b.jpg

You're right, it fills a gap in an ugly skyline. (Metropolition Place is not part of the ugly skyline)

cormiermax
Apr 16, 2012, 9:51 PM
I hope the super 8 gets re-branded.

kenandpat
Apr 16, 2012, 11:29 PM
Does anyone know the story on that breakwater or whatever it is in the foreground of that pic? It is obviously man-made and has been there for a long time from the looks of it, but I have never heard why or when it was built.

I grew up in this part of Dartmouth and know that area quite well. This was originally a long wooden wharf which was used commercially in the 50's and 60's. I remember the sealing ships laid up there in the summer months in the late 60's. It was abandoned in the late 60's or early 70's and quickly deteriorated and was condemned. It was owned by the National Harbour Board and was fenced off to the public but it had a lot of locals fishing from it and kids like myself playing on it in the mid 70's. It was becoming more and more dangerous and in either the summer of 1978 or 79 the remaining deck was removed and they trucked in hundreds of loads of fill and buried what was left of the pilings.There was talk of a large marina between it and what is now the current small marina next to the ferry terminal parking lot but it never materialized. I remember on the south side there were one or two quite large sunken barges that you could see submerged at low tide. This may have been an issue if they did decide to go with a marina.

fenwick16
Apr 17, 2012, 1:45 AM
I grew up in this part of Dartmouth and know that area quite well. This was originally a long wooden wharf which was used commercially in the 50's and 60's. I remember the sealing ships laid up there in the summer months in the late 60's. It was abandoned in the late 60's or early 70's and quickly deteriorated and was condemned. It was owned by the National Harbour Board and was fenced off to the public but it had a lot of locals fishing from it and kids like myself playing on it in the mid 70's. It was becoming more and more dangerous and in either the summer of 1978 or 79 the remaining deck was removed and they trucked in hundreds of loads of fill and buried what was left of the pilings.There was talk of a large marina between it and what is now the current small marina next to the ferry terminal parking lot but it never materialized. I remember on the south side there were one or two quite large sunken barges that you could see submerged at low tide. This may have been an issue if they did decide to go with a marina.

Thanks for the information. I was curious about this also.

Jonovision
Apr 19, 2012, 1:13 PM
A few from my phone yesterday.

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t513/jn434892/IMG294.jpg

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t513/jn434892/IMG295.jpg

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t513/jn434892/IMG296.jpg

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t513/jn434892/IMG297.jpg

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t513/jn434892/IMG299.jpg

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t513/jn434892/IMG300.jpg

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t513/jn434892/IMG301.jpg

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t513/jn434892/IMG303.jpg

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t513/jn434892/IMG304.jpg

Jstaleness
May 16, 2012, 10:44 PM
2 as I was driving by tonight.

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu360/jstaleness/IMG-20120516-00009.jpg

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu360/jstaleness/IMG-20120516-00010.jpg

resetcbu1
May 17, 2012, 10:51 PM
great presence from alderny.dr will really change yhe lanscape n this area when this is all done and said. :)

bluenoser
Jun 11, 2012, 4:35 PM
This photo (from the herald community section) is from more than a week ago so I'm guessing that most of the windows are in now. I think it looks good, and will look even better with all the balcony glass.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/mackinnon_toon_full/community/photo/DSC01856.jpg
http://thechronicleherald.ca/community/photos/halifax-and-area/kingswharf

RyeJay
Jun 11, 2012, 5:03 PM
^ This is turning into something rather charming :)

Such a great addition to downtown HRM.

resetcbu1
Jun 11, 2012, 9:17 PM
^ This is turning into something rather charming :)

Such a great addition to downtown HRM.

downtown HRM , I like that :)

there is no reason that the two downtowns can't harmoniously function as one , these are the type of developments that will help unite one centre core:tup:

kph06
Jun 12, 2012, 12:49 AM
I drove by here tonight to do a bit of an update, its been a while. The crane with a pile driver is on site, most likely to start work on the foundations of The Blue C and Aqua Vista. This is a link (http://kingswharf.ca/images/uploads/20120420_KW_SitePlan%20copy_e2.pdf) to an updated map which shows The Blue C as 13 floors, which seems to be new.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5449/7363611220_ef8ccc66e0_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7213/7363606580_212ae5c34d_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7091/7363615240_7bba406af1_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7212/7178385923_0f5a705063_b.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5240/7363608144_7e0b2bfdfe_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7092/7178387033_0583c073d7_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7104/7178381073_9672a63ac1_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7229/7363612472_2f2a054d73_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7216/7363607580_c733d832a5_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7099/7363610718_56cf0a5c24_b.jpg

HaliStreaks
Jun 12, 2012, 2:57 AM
http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/mackinnon_toon_full/community/photo/DSC01856.jpg

Just imagine how that is going to look with the 2 other buildings, the tower and the other buildings on the other side of the road in place. That is going to be a killer view, or even from the other bridge.. my photographer senses are tingling lol. :tup:

worldlyhaligonian
Jun 12, 2012, 5:25 PM
Stunning!

Halifax looks like its becoming an actual city, to the chagrin of the anti-development folks! Muhahahaha.

FuzzyWuz
Jun 13, 2012, 11:29 PM
I noticed the other day a pile driver is again on the site.

Jstaleness
Jun 14, 2012, 12:50 AM
Stunning!

Halifax looks like its becoming an actual city, to the chagrin of the anti-development folks! Muhahahaha.

With Dartmouth's help, Halifax will become a real city.

HaliStreaks
Jun 14, 2012, 12:52 AM
They've got a mobile Irving crane set up on the road in front between the 2 buildings, my bets are they're probably going to be taking the crane down tomorrow, hopefully with the pile driver on site as well we'll see it go back up pretty soon!

RyeJay
Jun 14, 2012, 3:16 AM
With Dartmouth's help, Halifax will become a real city.

Yes, a real city, under the banner of 'Halifax'.

Marcel_B
Jun 21, 2012, 11:17 AM
They've got a mobile Irving crane set up on the road in front between the 2 buildings, my bets are they're probably going to be taking the crane down tomorrow, hopefully with the pile driver on site as well we'll see it go back up pretty soon!

Drove by this morning and noticed the crane is down.

kph06
Jun 23, 2012, 7:25 PM
It looks like site work is underway for the next two buildings, two crawler cranes are on site along with a few rock trucks and excavators. Photos by me:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7119/7426404988_f320ef28dc_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8004/7426404220_582f6abab5_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8151/7426404608_ecded31953_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8158/7426403792_cd8e4ffeb5_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7265/7426403240_d5699011bc_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7253/7426402200_98462cd750_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7133/7426401772_5bab7721f4_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8011/7426402850_974ba42670_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8021/7426401244_b04d994afc_b.jpg

q12
Jun 23, 2012, 7:50 PM
I see King's Wharf is in the latest Nova Scotia Job's Here T.V. commercial (A.K.A. NDP ad campaign with Nova Scotian Taxpayer 's Dollars).

http://novascotia.ca/jobshere/

fenwick16
Jun 23, 2012, 8:11 PM
It looks like site work is underway for the next two buildings, two crawler cranes are on site along with a few rock trucks and excavators. Photos by me:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7265/7426403240_d5699011bc_b.jpg

The water-side perspective is fascinating. It appears as though these towers are built right on the water. Not many cities (big or small) have such developments (many cities don't have an ocean to build next to).

DigitalNinja
Jun 23, 2012, 9:57 PM
I love how these two buildings transition into one another, it just looks so good!

cormiermax
Jun 23, 2012, 11:32 PM
This may be the best development since Purdy's Wharf.

JustinMacD
Jun 24, 2012, 12:26 PM
Amazing pics! Still should've been higher though, it's hard to really notice these from across the water.

resetcbu1
Jun 24, 2012, 11:22 PM
I wonder how those lower balconies will hold up in a similar storm to say, "Juan" ???

spaustin
Jun 25, 2012, 4:12 AM
I wonder how those lower balconies will hold up in a similar storm to say, "Juan" ???

My hunch is not too badly given that they're on the back of the building facing into Dartmouth Cove. The water would have to rise an awful lot and the entire development creates a kind of breakwater for waves. That same unit on the other side facing the harbour might be a different story!

someone123
Jun 25, 2012, 5:31 AM
As far as I know Juan didn't cause any direct structural damage to modern buildings in good condition. Most of the damage was from flooding related to storm swells, fallen trees, etc.

Jstaleness
Jun 25, 2012, 7:55 PM

I don't think Juan caused swells much over 3 feet or so. On the back side of that building the water might rise by 3 feet but it wouldn't have much force behind it. King's Wharf should be fine.

JET
Jun 26, 2012, 12:29 PM
I don't think Juan caused swells much over 3 feet or so. On the back side of that building the water might rise by 3 feet but it wouldn't have much force behind it. King's Wharf should be fine.

there was afair amount of damage on the Dartmouth waterfront, the boardwalk was torn up and a few railcars knocked over. A few lobters a fair distance from the water

HaliStreaks
Jun 27, 2012, 4:29 AM
there was afair amount of damage on the Dartmouth waterfront, the boardwalk was torn up and a few railcars knocked over. A few lobters a fair distance from the water

Allow me to use my rather extensive knowledge from Juan I've put a lot of time researching to practical use lol. The damage was so extensive specifically along that section of the waterfront was solely from the fact the southeast wind from Juan was coming right up from the mouth of the harbour *directly* against the park/ferry terminal and that little cove where the railyard is, driving the waves from the surge, combined with an abnormally high tide that night, waaaay up the shore. I was at Lawrencetown an hour or so before Juan made landfall, and being in a spot where the wind comes right off the open ocean uninhibited really makes a difference for the wind-driven waves atop the surge. It was like that all up the eastern side of the harbour all the way from about Dartmouth Cove up to the passage, anywhere with a direct south-east facing orientation of the water got it bad. I know a couple of people up on shore road near Hartlen point in the passage who had seaweed on their doorsteps lol.:haha:

kph06
Jul 3, 2012, 7:32 PM
Here are some I snapped yesterday:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7137/7493233974_342f45fd54_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8144/7493233362_54cb9a347c_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7268/7493233646_c1df276e32_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8427/7493233088_982139dc48_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7139/7493232310_a4e4f699bd_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8151/7493232036_c989a81699_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8025/7493230802_eebde507ac_b.jpg

FuzzyWuz
Jul 9, 2012, 10:01 PM
I see they have started driving piles again. Does that mean they have officially started the next building(s)?

hoser111
Jul 9, 2012, 10:47 PM
I see they have started driving piles again. Does that mean they have officially started the next building(s)?

I guess maybe...

Just for grins, I went back through this thread to compare with the 1st two buildings. The piles started going in around June 11th, 2010 with the first forms showing up about the end of July and the crane erected around August 20th of 2010. Extrapolating from that, we should see a crane back up there by mid-September +/-???

Jonovision
Jul 10, 2012, 8:54 PM
I wonder what that crane is doing out on the end of the land? Maybe it is doing some early work for the iconic tower?!

Marcel_B
Jul 11, 2012, 12:02 PM
I guess maybe...

Just for grins, I went back through this thread to compare with the 1st two buildings. The piles started going in around June 11th, 2010 with the first forms showing up about the end of July and the crane erected around August 20th of 2010. Extrapolating from that, we should see a crane back up there by mid-September +/-???

Nice detective/forensic work. I'm curious to see how accurate your research will prove to be. :)

Waye Mason
Jul 11, 2012, 11:41 PM
I wonder what that crane is doing out on the end of the land? Maybe it is doing some early work for the iconic tower?!

The tower doesn't have a DA yet. Phase one of King's Wharf is what is approved right now, four buildings. Right now they are working starting buildings C and D, same size/mass as the current ones, A & B. C is residential and will be very similar to B (not a mirror image as was the original plan) and D is residential with some possible commercial the first couple floors. D was originally going to be a business tower and in April Fares asked to change it to residential.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Fares requested that D be allowed to become a residential tower because the office market was too soft - this has implications for the strength of the market throughout the core.

Now that Emera is built, RBC Waterside is going and the WTCC2 is about to get underway, and in light of that statement from Fares, I think we won't likely see a lot of new commercial getting started for a while. Market needs to shake out first.

HI6HRI5E
Jul 15, 2012, 12:04 AM
Any one have any clue when the 18 story will be going up this year?

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 16, 2012, 3:53 PM
18 story?

someone123
Jul 16, 2012, 4:55 PM
18 story?

In the concept plan there is another row of condos to the west of the ones currently under construction, and the tallest of those has 18 floors.

I thought the plan was to build the first four at the eastern end of the site and then work on the "iconic tower" in 2013. I don't recall any details about the timing of future phases.

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 16, 2012, 7:50 PM
In the concept plan there is another row of condos to the west of the ones currently under construction, and the tallest of those has 18 floors.

I thought the plan was to build the first four at the eastern end of the site and then work on the "iconic tower" in 2013. I don't recall any details about the timing of future phases.

Thanks for the info. That's great, 18 stories is perfect as a step down.

SekishikiMeikaiHa
Jul 17, 2012, 3:25 AM
Towering over the Halifax skyline:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8433/7587738232_b9bbbe7084_b.jpg

JET
Jul 17, 2012, 4:58 PM
it would be nice to have an aerial shot, given the amount of infill

someone123
Jul 17, 2012, 6:06 PM
it would be nice to have an aerial shot, given the amount of infill

There are quite a few good aerials here, including one shot that has Dartmouth in the foreground: http://www.visionairimages.com/Other/Halifax-EasternShore/11987489_ttwmbt#!p=5&n=20

teddifax
Jul 27, 2012, 10:51 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7267/7658895060_ceeb844a7f.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/81832891@N04/7658895060/)
King's Wharf (http://www.flickr.com/photos/81832891@N04/7658895060/)
Finished site rendering directly from King's Wharf site: http://www.kingswharf.ca/

haligonia
Jul 27, 2012, 11:09 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7267/7658895060_ceeb844a7f.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/81832891@N04/7658895060/)
King's Wharf (http://www.flickr.com/photos/81832891@N04/7658895060/)
Finished site rendering directly from King's Wharf site: http://www.kingswharf.ca/

:previous: I don't know if it's the best idea to upload someone else's content to your Flickr account.

teddifax
Jul 27, 2012, 11:15 PM
Trying to get this posted, I acknowledged their site, hope it is OK! Thank you for your concern, should I remove it then?

haligonia
Jul 27, 2012, 11:22 PM
Trying to get this posted, I acknowledged their site, hope it is OK! Thank you for your concern, should I remove it then?

It's fine that you posted the image here and linked back to the King's Wharf site, but having their image hosted on your Flickr account may be claiming a copyright that you don't have... I'm not sure. :shrug:

pblaauw
Jul 27, 2012, 11:30 PM
It's fine that you posted the image here and linked back to the King's Wharf site, but having their image hosted on your Flickr account may be claiming a copyright that you don't have... I'm not sure. :shrug:

"King's Wharf by teddifax57" is probably a bad idea. You're essentially claiming ownership of someone else's work.

EDIT: And, as we've seen before, people involved with these projects watch this forum.

Dmajackson
Jul 28, 2012, 12:17 AM
"King's Wharf by teddifax57" is probably a bad idea. You're essentially claiming ownership of someone else's work.

EDIT: And, as we've seen before, people involved with these projects watch this forum.

On the odd occassion where I have to host a photo its usually for editing purposes (ie to show current progress). The best way to do it for that is "Progress of West Bedford edited by Dmajackson on photo/map from [website]". The other case is printscreening out of PDF's. For that make sure to note its is a screen capture and state the source.

As for "involved" people just off the top of my head I can think of Councillors Outhit, Sloane and Watts (though Keith's rantings may of scared her off :P), many HRM Planning staff, developers from Citadel Hotel, Pete Polley, and I think King's Wharf.

Heck just last month I was emailed by a local construction firm to get permission to use my photos of King's Wharf. As for the compilation thread I have seen that posted many times on other sites.

BTW I will point this out to anyone who reads this. The compilation list and any photos I have taken and posted on this website are my property, however, I am very open to allowing their use for other's profit with permission. If you seek to use one of my items just email me (dmajackson@hotmail.com) or PM on the forum.

spaustin
Jul 29, 2012, 2:57 AM
Went past it today. Noticed a big "Now Renting" banner has appeared on the side of the apartment building. Could possibly have been there a while and I'm just now noticing it, but it felt new.

kph06
Jul 30, 2012, 1:24 AM
Photo by me from today:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8424/7673066970_b4bf9a90cc_b.jpg

fenwick16
Jul 30, 2012, 1:55 AM
Photo by me from today:

I can't wait to see cranes for the next two buildings. Hopefully the next two will turn out as well. (and then the iconic tower)

resetcbu1
Jul 30, 2012, 4:05 AM
how many buildings total is there going to be when all said and done?