PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : [DARTMOUTH] King's Wharf | U/C

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

hoser111
Oct 19, 2009, 7:34 PM
Anyone know what that spire is supposed to be at the end of the pier by the marina?

hfx_chris
Oct 19, 2009, 7:37 PM
...most of the city isn't exactly quality designed.

:mad:

Dmajackson
Oct 19, 2009, 8:29 PM
:mad:

Awww ... did hurt your feelings? :P

If you want we can both agree that Dartmouth looks a lot better than lets say Spryfield and Sackville.

Spitfire75
Oct 19, 2009, 9:42 PM
Thanks for taking those pics of the models. It's really great for people who can't make it to the sales office. This project looks more amazing every time I see it.

jasonashhh
Oct 19, 2009, 9:47 PM
I can see this project as a boost for dartmouth. People will want to build on this side on the brigde more due to all the complaining halifax does i cant wait to see this goo upp whoopie! :haha: We will be sure to see Dartmouth as our city and there be lots more highrises hopefully ill keep my fingers crossed for this.:yes:

Nilan8888
Oct 19, 2009, 9:48 PM
Dartmouth looks better than Spryfield? Why don't you just pour salt in his wounds?

Wow, that model is... intimidating. I've seen individual shots and the drawings back on the old site but that is still WAY more than I expected. That really has the oppertunity to draw people into Downtown Dartmouth for things to do. And the actual few streets of the downtown always looked nice... it was just that there was nothing really THERE, so to speak, compared to across the harbor.

Are there any older, crummier buildings near the KW site? Something like this might, not long after it's done, spur others to go out and bulldoze nearby crap and build something better.

hfx_chris
Oct 19, 2009, 11:18 PM
If you want we can both agree that Dartmouth looks a lot better than lets say Spryfield and Sackville.
Don't forget to include Bedford.

Dmajackson
Oct 19, 2009, 11:32 PM
Don't forget to include Bedford.

You'll never catch me saying that one ... :P

I have a massive bias but I think Bedford is a contender for the best looking community in HRM.

But back on topic does anyone know how long it will be before they have to tear up the parking lot? Because that thing is quite ugly for the waterfront.

DigitalNinja
Oct 19, 2009, 11:35 PM
You'll never catch me saying that one ... :P

I have a massive bias but I think Bedford is a contender for the best looking community in HRM.

But back on topic does anyone know how long it will be before they have to tear up the parking lot? Because that thing is quite ugly for the waterfront.

Bedford was nice before HRM, after that IMO it went kinda downhill. When they had all the black matching street lights there was something real nice about it.

Dmajackson
Oct 19, 2009, 11:44 PM
Bedford was nice before HRM, after that IMO it went kinda downhill. When they had all the black matching street lights there was something real nice about it.

I personally love the cool sidewalks we have. Unfortunately HRM is being cheap lately and a lot of the new ones are ugly gray concrete.

I am glad they used the stuff in the new boardwalk on the waterfront.

fenwick16
Oct 20, 2009, 12:38 AM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?3eca398291.jpg
In the 6th photo taken by FuzzyWuz above, the tallest tower looks like about the equivalent of a 35 - 36 storey tower including the podium. I hope that this will be similar to the final design.

terrynorthend
Oct 20, 2009, 1:49 AM
Overall I like this project. I love the concept and the ambition, the modern flair and the "Dubai-feel". The signature tower is great, although I preferred an earlier elliptical design they put forward. The four initial towers are nice too, but a little monotonous.

I am attracted to and intrigued by the little "lighthouse" tower on the breakwater , but I realize that design in that phase is not at all concrete yet...which is good, because I am not at all impressed by the blocks of buildings in the future phases. Hopefully the model is just indicating architectural massing, and the actual detail designs will be more thoughtful when they get to it. As it stands right now I find them imposing in a poor block-like way, and have odd graphic features that seem inelegant to me.

I also see problems for their residents. The density and massing of the buildings may create many views of nothing more than the the window across the alleyway. Imagine buying a west facing condo in one of those four buildings with a great view of Halifax, only to have it blocked by construction in 3 years. Not a great investment.

On the Fares website there are renderings of the models and also hand-drawn concepts of the at-grade retail. Those concept drawings look amazing, vibrant and organic, lots of curved surfaces and activity.. i wish they could capture more of that in the models which instead come across as staid and square. The model renderings seem to give it a "sim-city" or a "fisher-price village" feel; Here's the brick walkway around the cookie-cutter pool, here's typical uncreative landscaping.. I dunno, just something doesn't sit right with me.

I have this foreboding sense of doom.

Keith P.
Oct 20, 2009, 1:58 AM
Overall I like this project. I love the concept and the ambition, the modern flair and the "Dubai-feel". The signature tower is great, although I preferred an earlier elliptical design they put forward. The four initial towers are nice too, but a little monotonous.

I am attracted to and intrigued by the little "lighthouse" tower on the breakwater , but I realize that design in that phase is not at all concrete yet...which is good, because I am not at all impressed by the blocks of buildings in the future phases. Hopefully the model is just indicating architectural massing, and the actual detail designs will be more thoughtful when they get to it. As it stands right now I find them imposing in a poor block-like way, and have odd graphic features that seem inelegant to me.

I also see problems for their residents. The density and massing of the buildings may create many views of nothing more than the the window across the alleyway. Imagine buying a west facing condo in one of those four buildings with a great view of Halifax, only to have it blocked by construction in 3 years. Not a great investment.

On the Fares website there are renderings of the models and also hand-drawn concepts of the at-grade retail. Those concept drawings look amazing, vibrant and organic, lots of curved surfaces and activity.. i wish they could capture more of that in the models which instead come across as staid and square. The model renderings seem to give it a "sim-city" or a "fisher-price village" feel; Here's the brick walkway around the cookie-cutter pool, here's typical uncreative landscaping.. I dunno, just something doesn't sit right with me.

I have this foreboding sense of doom.

I didn't want to say anything at risk of being called out by that great arbiter of planning and design, hfx_chris, who seems to consider himself a moderator here. But I looked at the pics of the models and I felt much the same way. The boxy structures stacked alongside each other in a tight grid separated by narrow canyon-like streets look somewhat confining and have the feel of a 1960s NYC public housing project. I don't like the vibe at all.

Ramako
Oct 20, 2009, 3:40 AM
I have it from a very good source that sales have gone quite well. The 30-story tower is 30% sold. 60% would be required for construction financing.

someone123
Oct 20, 2009, 9:08 AM
I like the tightly-packed buildings. I think they could make a lot of sense, depending on how they are designed. Consider being down there in the winter, for example. If the middle is well-sheltered then it will be a much more pleasant spot for retail, while the boardwalk will be available whenever it is nice out.

The biggest issue surrounding this project is, I think, how will it get integrated into the rest of downtown Dartmouth. The area will need the equivalent of a second King's Wharf to fill in all the nearby holes.

Once this scale of infill happens I think we'll see a huge improvement as it will finally be possible to support a broad range of services. A real grocery store would make a big different, for example.

Nilan8888
Oct 20, 2009, 10:25 AM
The boxy structures stacked alongside each other in a tight grid separated by narrow canyon-like streets look somewhat confining and have the feel of a 1960s NYC public housing project. I don't like the vibe at all.

Well, I think the marina might make up for anyone about to make that mistake.

hfx_chris
Oct 20, 2009, 2:36 PM
I didn't want to say anything at risk of being called out by that great arbiter of planning and design, hfx_chris, who seems to consider himself a moderator here.
Huh?

FuzzyWuz
Oct 20, 2009, 2:42 PM
I like the tightly-packed buildings. I think they could make a lot of sense, depending on how they are designed. Consider being down there in the winter, for example. If the middle is well-sheltered then it will be a much more pleasant spot for retail, while the boardwalk will be available whenever it is nice out.

The biggest issue surrounding this project is, I think, how will it get integrated into the rest of downtown Dartmouth. The area will need the equivalent of a second King's Wharf to fill in all the nearby holes.

Once this scale of infill happens I think we'll see a huge improvement as it will finally be possible to support a broad range of services. A real grocery store would make a big different, for example.
Fares has an option on most of the remaining land in that area and could exercise it depending on how successful they are in the development. We all need to sit back and think of what a huge change this could be down the road. Thank you, peninsular Halifax for dropping the ball. King's Wharf will take it from here.

Nilan8888
Oct 20, 2009, 4:15 PM
I do have one particular concern about this project which is: Fares itself.

Looking on thier website they only list two properties that they've undertaken... does Fares have a particular track record behind them or are they fairly new to the scene?

The other property they list on thier site is the new condo building that's at the old Shell station on the Bay Road. And while that development could probably have been a lot worse, IIRC the actual product doesn't quite match thier renderings, which make the place look more appealing than it ended up being.

That doesn't mean KW won't be kick-ass in the end, but it could be a reason for caution at being overly optomistic about the project's results.

spaustin
Oct 20, 2009, 5:17 PM
Good pics! Downtown Dartmouth could certainly use the boost. The one thing I see that I really don't like, but they couldn't do much about it is the corkscrew interchange. Of course it doesn't look bad in model form, but if built it's going to be one big twisting mess of concrete on Alderny Drive. I get though that they didn't have much in the way of options since they need to provide one access point that can't be blocked by the train incase of emergency and the position of the tracks makes that really difficult. The overall pluses of the project certainly outweigh this negative, but it would have been nice if something else could have been done. Maybe like emergency access above the tracks off of Canal Street for example.

hfx_chris
Oct 20, 2009, 10:48 PM
They could have gone under the tracks, built a little tunnel.

fenwick16
Oct 21, 2009, 12:11 AM
I didn't want to say anything at risk of being called out by that great arbiter of planning and design, hfx_chris, who seems to consider himself a moderator here. But I looked at the pics of the models and I felt much the same way. The boxy structures stacked alongside each other in a tight grid separated by narrow canyon-like streets look somewhat confining and have the feel of a 1960s NYC public housing project. I don't like the vibe at all.

Overall I like this project. However, the most favorable response from people on the SSP forum seems to be for the tall slender building. At 150 units they will only have about 5 units per floor. It would probably be possible to even design this tower so that all units have at least one window with a western view of the harbour and Halifax. If all the buildings could be designed taller and slimmer then there would be fewer buildings and more open space so that more people could have a harbour view. However, most likely the reason for going with several shorter building with fewer units is for financial security in case the condo units don't sell very well. Perhaps they could entice people to buy the shorter building units by allowing access to the tallest tower's top floor as an observation floor.

Will all units be condominium or is there a mix of rental and condominium?

Jonovision
Oct 21, 2009, 1:39 PM
The only rentals will be in the building on the back corner by alderney drive. The one closest to the canal. All others will be condos.

I really like the density of it. I think a bunch of tall slender towers would be look strange and it would be even harder to mesh into the existing urban fabric. And it would not create a very walkable area. The tight buildings work well because this as is stands is a very open site. It is subject to all the winds that come right up the harbour and it is very exposed. Creating such a dense cluster will surely help reduce the impact of the weather on the site so it becomes a walkable area all year round.

eastcoastal
Oct 22, 2009, 10:47 AM
I have to say that I'm interested by a lot of this - I have a lot of hopw for it - but projects of such a scale have increased odds of being a total disaster in a few years. Any urban planning and design miscalculations get magnified by such a scale.

First potential problem: the overpass and ramp. This whole development will be an entity unto itself with very little actual connection to the rest of Dartmouth. If it develops a lively street-level life, it will be isolated from the rest of the city. If it doesn't, it will be an island of empty streets.

pascalosti
Oct 22, 2009, 1:49 PM
If this was simcity I would level 80% of downtown Dartmouth and rebuild.

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 22, 2009, 3:27 PM
I have to say that I'm interested by a lot of this - I have a lot of hopw for it - but projects of such a scale have increased odds of being a total disaster in a few years. Any urban planning and design miscalculations get magnified by such a scale.

First potential problem: the overpass and ramp. This whole development will be an entity unto itself with very little actual connection to the rest of Dartmouth. If it develops a lively street-level life, it will be isolated from the rest of the city. If it doesn't, it will be an island of empty streets.

I think the weather will dictate how lively this place will be moreso than faults in the design... I mean, public space on the waterfront is always used when its nice out.

IMO it will be fine and everybody underestimates how close these towers will seem to the rest of downton Dartmouth... just look at the site plan.

Spitfire75
Oct 22, 2009, 10:35 PM
If this was China I would level 80% of downtown Dartmouth and rebuild.

Fixed that for you.

pascalosti
Oct 23, 2009, 2:54 PM
@spitfire :-)

anyone know where the office is where model is displayed?

JET
Oct 23, 2009, 6:17 PM
@spitfire :-)

anyone know where the office is where model is displayed?

Probably is at their sales office at the old marine slips; where KW will be built. JET

Jonovision
Oct 23, 2009, 7:13 PM
Yes, the model is down at the sales centre on site.

FuzzyWuz
Oct 29, 2009, 1:25 PM
Just drove by the site and noticed that they're doing lots of infilling. I couldn't see from the Alderney side so I went to the walkway on the other side of the coastguard place and you can see it from there. Lots and lots of dumptrucks.

hoser111
Nov 6, 2009, 2:53 PM
King's Wharf video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZktT2FbPdOo

worldlyhaligonian
Nov 6, 2009, 7:30 PM
sick, its good to see dexter and kelly showing their support.

Dmajackson
Nov 6, 2009, 8:27 PM
Thats a nice video. :)

hfx_chris
Nov 7, 2009, 2:43 AM
Did anyone else get a little freaked out by Kelly's eyes?

worldlyhaligonian
Nov 7, 2009, 4:43 AM
:eeekk:

sdm
Nov 7, 2009, 4:49 PM
Did anyone else get a little freaked out by Kelly's eyes?

Looks like he's taking a big poop

someone123
Nov 8, 2009, 12:33 AM
Frightening.

MonctonRad
Nov 8, 2009, 1:06 AM
Methinks he looks a trifle exophthalmic......I wonder if he has Grave's Disease.

phrenic
Nov 8, 2009, 6:37 PM
Good to see Tim Olive in there as well, although he's been a big proponent of this since the get-go.

Kicker
Nov 8, 2009, 8:38 PM
Great video. Love seeing Francis Fares so obviously passionate about the project.

FuzzyWuz
Nov 9, 2009, 2:57 PM
Check out HalifaxRealEstateGuy.com for a video slideshow with good views of the model.

pascalosti
Nov 9, 2009, 5:12 PM
Not sure if this short video has already been posted, it basically goes around the model in the show room.

http://vimeo.com/7112601

got the video from
http://sellnovascotia.blogspot.com/?gclid=CImSsPqz_p0CFaM45Qodpk93pg

worldlyhaligonian
Nov 9, 2009, 9:21 PM
Wow, I didn't realize there was so much density on the north side.

This development is going to give Dartmouth a serious skyline... especially considering there are already some decently tall buildings in the vicinity of the development.

sdm
Nov 9, 2009, 9:28 PM
Wow, I didn't realize there was so much density on the north side.

This development is going to give Dartmouth a serious skyline... especially considering there are already some decently tall buildings in the vicinity of the development.

This is a 10-15 year build out, of which the 33 story tower still needs to be approved. So it will gradually change the skyline.

Site & concept look great, now the developer needs the clients now.

Dmajackson
Nov 13, 2009, 4:31 AM
I was just reading a report from HECC and to nobody's surprise Phase I and II have been switched to allow the construction of the four mid-rises in all of the renderings on the Cove side.

One thing of note is because of the civic numbering system in DD, King Street will not officially extend onto the property. Instead a new street name will be created to avoid renumbering all of King Street. For the first phase this street will be constructed to serve the mid-rises.

Dmajackson
Dec 4, 2009, 8:44 PM
Apparently the Stage II Development Agreement for Phase I was before Harbour East CC last night;

Case 01355 (http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/NWPAC/documents/Case01355StageIIKingsWharf.pdf)

Jonovision
Dec 5, 2009, 3:50 PM
Looks great to me!

pascalosti
Dec 5, 2009, 4:25 PM
Just a guess but I would say its gonna take a long time before this whole project gets finished. Maybe the first phase will go quickly but after that who knows.

worldlyhaligonian
Dec 5, 2009, 4:54 PM
Each one of those buidings is like a Hydrostone Place building, so I hope they can put them all up pretty fast.

Me want tower!!! :banana:

DigitalNinja
Dec 5, 2009, 4:55 PM
Me want tower more!

Dmajackson
Dec 5, 2009, 4:58 PM
Me wannie a tow-ee!

But seriously its good that the residential part first. I'll add people to the area and make the commercial area more viable and easier to market.

worldlyhaligonian
Dec 5, 2009, 5:02 PM
Well, they are a bit bigger, but I bet they will take about the same amount of time to go up.

terrynorthend
Dec 5, 2009, 5:51 PM
All four combined are about the same scale as Gladstone ridge, but with a great view. I think the report above said 251 units. It should build and fill pretty quickly. I can't wait to see the crane(s)!

hoser111
Dec 5, 2009, 7:37 PM
According to the KW web site, the "Keelson" has 40 units sold. Don't know if that's building A or B but they are 92 units & 79 units respectively.

fenwick16
Dec 5, 2009, 8:11 PM
http://www.kingswharf.ca/images/pdfs/keelson/Keelson_Pricing.pdf

The units certainly aren't cheap by Halifax standards. Are these units considered to be luxury units?

sdm
Dec 6, 2009, 1:11 AM

The units certainly aren't cheap by Halifax standards. Are these units considered to be luxury units?

the pricing, if memory serves me correct, isn't too much more then what Bishops landing came out at when it started.

I mean its far from cheap at some units being 290-300 per square foot.

FuzzyWuz
Dec 7, 2009, 3:30 PM
So any news or details about the harbour east council meeting?

Jonovision
Dec 7, 2009, 11:51 PM
According to the KW web site, the "Keelson" has 40 units sold. Don't know if that's building A or B but they are 92 units & 79 units respectively.

The Keelson is building B. Building A is the apartment building. I would think they will probably wait until the Keelson and part of the Building C is sold before starting building A.

FuzzyWuz
Dec 9, 2009, 4:11 PM
I think actually that they are "halfway to" the 40 units who qualify for the no-fee thing. 20 sold.

scotiasam
Dec 14, 2009, 12:23 PM
As of December 9, 2009, there are 31 units sold in the Keelson, according to the online price list

fenwick16
Dec 14, 2009, 12:27 PM
As of December 9, 2009, there are 31 units sold in the Keelson, according to the online price list

This would be about 50% sold. It seems to be quite popular.

Jonovision
Dec 14, 2009, 2:45 PM
I got an email update from them the other day and they said they were very successful at the Harbour East Community Council and are hoping that shovels will be in the ground early in the new year.

mcmcclassic
Dec 14, 2009, 3:36 PM
I got an email update from them the other day and they said they were very successful at the Harbour East Community Council and are hoping that shovels will be in the ground early in the new year.

That's great to hear! I'll be excited to see the crew move into the area and start building up.

-Harlington-
Dec 14, 2009, 4:43 PM
im very exited to see this start construction, its a great project, and the sooner they start the better:tup:

Jonovision
Dec 14, 2009, 8:44 PM
There was a steady flow of fill coming on to the site today.

2B1B
Dec 29, 2009, 7:12 PM
Friends of mine just purchased a unit - they caught the condo bug after they saw my place. I was interested in this development, but I decided to jump to the Halifax side - nice to see a spark starting on the "Darkside"

JET
Dec 30, 2009, 1:00 PM
- nice to see a spark starting on the "Darkside"

It's a light that usually only people in Dartmouth have been able to see.
It's interesting that it's only recently that people in Halifax are beginning to see the light. JET

2B1B
Dec 30, 2009, 2:55 PM
It's a light that usually only people in Dartmouth have been able to see.
It's interesting that it's only recently that people in Halifax are beginning to see the light. JET

When I lived on the Dartmouth side, I always said the view was much better from over there since my house had an unobstructed view of Purdy's Wharf. Since living on the Halifax side, I still agree the view is better in Dartmouth, but I have to say that's about all that is (to me).

Empire
Dec 30, 2009, 5:03 PM
When I lived on the Dartmouth side, I always said the view was much better from over there since my house had an unobstructed view of Purdy's Wharf. Since living on the Halifax side, I still agree the view is better in Dartmouth, but I have to say that's about all that is (to me).

Dartmouth needs a new downtown from end to end.

JET
Dec 30, 2009, 5:18 PM
Dartmouth needs a new downtown from end to end.

Not really; just add a few things (King's Wharf) and get rid of a few things: tattoo parlours, bars that only have VLT machines, pawn shops, and the CN marshalling yards. JET

Empire
Dec 30, 2009, 5:50 PM
Not really; just add a few things (King's Wharf) and get rid of a few things: tattoo parlours, bars that only have VLT machines, pawn shops, and the CN marshalling yards. JET

What's nice about downtown Dartmouth in its current state besides the view?

Josh M
Dec 30, 2009, 5:59 PM
I like downtown Dartmouth the way it is now

hfx_chris
Dec 30, 2009, 7:21 PM

The pace. I love that the sidewalks aren't crowded with hundreds of people over lunch. The streets aren't congested and backed up. You can easily walk to get your lunch and be back in no time at all. Plus the library, and Alderney Landing. The ferry terminal park and the waterfront. The nice beautiful sidewalks on Portland, Queen and Alderney.
Plus a lot more that I can't think of at the moment.

JET
Dec 30, 2009, 7:41 PM
The pace. I love that the sidewalks aren't crowded with hundreds of people over lunch. The streets aren't congested and backed up. You can easily walk to get your lunch and be back in no time at all. Plus the library, and Alderney Landing. The ferry terminal park and the waterfront. The nice beautiful sidewalks on Portland, Queen and Alderney.
Plus a lot more that I can't think of at the moment.

Ditto, plus: Celtic Corner, Janet's Flowers, Two if by Sea, La Perla, Dartmouth Common, my house; just to name a few; but shhh...
not too loudly, don't let the secret out. JET

hfx_chris
Dec 30, 2009, 7:48 PM
Ah, I can't believe I forgot Celtic Corner! Great place for lunch, great atmosphere. And don't forget MacAskills.
And of course the Common. I love walking through there in the summer.

I tried some sort of baked thing at Two If By Sea the other day, and I was unimpressed. It tasted (and felt) like it was made with a whole stick of butter. Maybe the scones are better.
Ever try Duckies in the bottom level of Alderney Landing? They make awesome sandwiches and soups.

JET
Dec 30, 2009, 7:56 PM
Ah, I can't believe I forgot Celtic Corner! Great place for lunch, great atmosphere. And don't forget MacAskills.
And of course the Common. I love walking through there in the summer.

I tried some sort of baked thing at Two If By Sea the other day, and I was unimpressed. It tasted (and felt) like it was made with a whole stick of butter. Maybe the scones are better.
Ever try Duckies in the bottom level of Alderney Landing? They make awesome sandwiches and soups.

Probably was a whole stick of butter, and Duckies and MacAskills are also good.

terrynorthend
Dec 30, 2009, 8:31 PM
Sullivan's Pond and surrounds. Leighton Dillman Park. Lake Banook and Silver's Hill.

worldlyhaligonian
Dec 30, 2009, 11:26 PM

Its not that bad, lol.

Nice pubs, parks, and a few other things could be improved. Dartmouth is as nice as most whole cities in the rest of the martimes and is possibly nicer than SJ.

kwajo
Dec 30, 2009, 11:56 PM
Its not that bad, lol.

Nice pubs, parks, and a few other things could be improved. Dartmouth is as nice as most whole cities in the rest of the martimes and is possibly nicer than SJ.
Woah, let's not go nuts ;)

Empire
Dec 31, 2009, 12:33 AM
Its not that bad, lol.

Woah, let's not go nuts ;)

Saint John has far more historic buildings. It seems to take a long time to see redevelopment though.

hfx_chris
Dec 31, 2009, 12:48 PM
Last time I was in Saint John I couldn't wait to leave for Fredericton.

Just sayin...

Dr SweetLove
Dec 31, 2009, 12:56 PM
Dartmouth is a joke :haha: wow it has a park anda crap main streeet :haha: and a lack of people dartmouth pride is same. Jet I only hear you write sad things do you hate most of this world?:rolleyes:

FuzzyWuz
Jan 2, 2010, 2:59 AM
So does anyone know:
1. when they're getting rid of that damn coast guard ship?
2. when they're getting rid of that damn big building?

Dr SweetLove
Jan 2, 2010, 4:13 PM
Last time I was in Saint John I couldn't wait to leave for Fredericton.

Just sayin...

I have meet so many wonderfull people from St John, Dartmouth chris, why can I not say the same about the people from the Darkside?

hfx_chris
Jan 2, 2010, 5:24 PM
Oh I wasn't referring to the people from Saint John, I'm sure they're all great. I was referring to the city itself.
As to why you can't find any nice people in Dartmouth, I don't know, but maybe your own attitude has something to do with that.

Dr SweetLove
Jan 2, 2010, 6:03 PM
rite, like the fine attitue Jet has

a shining example of Darkside at it's best. no everyone from the good saint john is not great, but there gene pool is so much more sexy:P

reddog794
Jan 2, 2010, 7:35 PM
rite, like the fine attitue Jet has

a shining example of Darkside at it's best. no everyone from the good saint john is not great, but there gene pool is so much more sexy:P

Say what you will of it's people SweetLove, your grasp of written English, is a clear benchmark of what we can expect, of any judgement, of any city.

Having lived in both, I find SJ, very much like Dartmouth. Dartmouth just have a better waterfront, compared to how SJ uses its own. As well as not as many derelict buildings, or at least in the core. Shoot, Main St. even has wider, and more level sidewalks, than Rothesay Ave. I'd walk the former, sooner I would the latter, any day of the week, hill and all.

This comparison is silly, one is predominantly suburbia, the other is the first incorporated city. Both can learn from the other. Kings Wharf, however, is going to start some shit!

pchipman
Jan 3, 2010, 3:55 PM
Dartmouth is a joke :haha: wow it has a park anda crap main streeet :haha: and a lack of people dartmouth pride is same. Jet I only hear you write sad things do you hate most of this world?:rolleyes:

You are a fool.

Jonovision
Jan 3, 2010, 10:19 PM
I was just checking the diagrams section today and someone has gone ahead and made a diagram for the iconic tower. It looks good, however I'm not sure if the height was speculated or not. As I was assuming this tower would be taller then Fenwick.

worldlyhaligonian
Jan 4, 2010, 3:39 AM
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=83898

Edited, thought it was the old one at first.

Phalanx
Jan 4, 2010, 5:34 AM
Since diagrams were mentioned... is anyone going to take a stab at the Trillium? Or am I missing it in the list?

worldlyhaligonian
Jan 4, 2010, 4:23 PM
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=67932

No diagram yet...

-Harlington-
Jan 4, 2010, 4:58 PM
kings wharf looks good in that diagram, and it would be nice to see the trillium there as well, the TD building should also be changed maybe when construction starts though.

Jonovision
Jan 14, 2010, 3:58 AM
I think I spotted a new excavator on site today on my way home from the gym.

FuzzyWuz
Jan 14, 2010, 2:51 PM
Indeed you did. Though I don't see much digging involved. More filling/piling/building up. Maybe they'll use it to tear down some buildings.

Jonovision
Jan 14, 2010, 4:06 PM
I also got their january news letter today and they are preparing to break ground and actually start construction on the apartment building and the Keelson at the end of this month!

FuzzyWuz
Jan 18, 2010, 8:24 PM
Saw a bunch of steel I-beams being unloaded today by crane.

FuzzyWuz
Jan 24, 2010, 1:03 AM
Now there are two excavators sitting there. Unlikely that they'll spend money to just let them sit there so it looks like stuff is very close to happening.

Jonovision
Jan 24, 2010, 4:26 AM
Yes, they started digging some sort of trench on friday along the driveway leading up to the sales centre. And the plot for the first building has been staked out.