PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Ottawa Convention Centre | 30.45m | 4-5 fl | Completed

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

waterloowarrior
Feb 5, 2011, 5:40 PM
30 jan 2011 by southfacing (flickr), click to enlarge

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5139/5402890252_d0d1d02fef_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/5402890252/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

(http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/5402890252/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

waterloowarrior
Feb 11, 2011, 1:46 AM
nice shot by flar
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=188703

http://segaert.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v20/p584184188-5.jpg

d_jeffrey
Feb 12, 2011, 12:35 AM
I'm quite surprised to see it's smoked glass. Great design overall.

waterloowarrior
Mar 2, 2011, 4:29 AM
Convention centre, NCC argue over the big picture

Proposal for interactive LED screen sparks debate over fun and forward-thinking versus distasteful advertising

BY MOHAMMED ADAM, OTTAWA CITIZEN MARCH 1, 2011 11:06 PM

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/4368857.bin

An artist?s illustration using a Women in Art gallery promotion, top right, shows what the Ottawa Convention Centre hopes to achieve with a giant interactive screen on the facade overlooking the Mackenzie King Bridge. The OCC says it would show Canadian art, live video of events and possibly sponsorship ads.

A major dispute has erupted between the National Capital Commission and the Ottawa Convention Centre over a proposal to install an interactive LED screen on the south wall of the new building.

Called the Art Wall, the Convention Centre sees the massive screen overlooking Mackenzie King Bridge as an innovative platform to showcase Canadian art, connect Ottawa interactively with the rest of the country, and create a new buzz in the city. It would also show live video of events and could feature sponsorship advertising.

But the Citizen has learned that the NCC, which has responsibility for safeguarding the historic character of the capital, doesn’t like the proposal. The new convention centre, which is on the main ceremonial route, across from the Rideau Canal, and within the sight lines of the War Memorial and Parliament Buildings, sits in a historic centre of the city. And because of the location, NCC officials apparently believe the visual representations on the screen might be incongruous. More importantly, they worry that the screen might be exploited for commercial purposes, and sooner or later, distasteful advertising might appear near hallowed downtown sites. The NCC has the power to approve the convention centre design under a covenant covering the site, which in the distant past, used to belong to the federal government, convention centre officials say.

The dispute goes to the heart of the never-ending debate on the character and ambition of the city, and what kind of capital it aspires to be: a modern capital growing with the times or one steeped in the true and tested traditions that have served it well for a century and half.

Graham Bird, project manager for the convention centre, says the cutting-edge design of the new building represents what Ottawa can do, and using new media for the south wall is designed to push the envelope and help the city banish its reputation as a joyless place.

“We’ve talked about why does Ottawa need to be so ho-hum. This sort of thing can be a lot of fun for the city so we are just not a bunch of monuments under a glass bowl,” Bird said.

“The fear can be ‘this is a big ad.’ That’s not what this is about.”

Bird sees the electronic billboard becoming a part of the fibre of the city, a place where people gravitate.

Karen Mills, a Toronto arts adviser hired by the OCC to work on the art wall, agrees, noting that Ottawa has a chance to do something about its image as a “somewhat dowdy” city.

“There has always been a sense that Ottawa is always afraid of doing something contemporary and really innovative. The art wall will create a platform that no one has in Canada as a permanent venue, and it will be marvellous for the city,” Mills said.

“Sometimes, doing something new and innovative requires a bit of a leap of faith ... and I would beg the powers that be to at least give the Convention Centre a chance to test this for two or three years.”

The NCC will not say publicly how it feels about the art wall because it won’t comment on a proposal under consideration. All spokesman Jean Wolff would say is that the proposal would be reviewed with an eye on the commission’s responsibility to protect the character of the capital. The Citizen however, has learned that the commission’s advisory committee on planning and design is meeting in Ottawa Thursday and Friday and will review the proposal.

“The NCC has received an application for this project and there is a review underway. No timeline has been set to provide the final decision. We have to let the process take its course,” Wolff said.

Mills says cities around the world are tapping into new media to create excitement and the convention centre gives Ottawa a chance to do something bold and different. She said the wall would feature everything from paintings to still photos and live video. A revolving program of public art would be on display and part of the plan is to work with institutions like the National Gallery, the Art Gallery of Ontario, the Banff New Media Centre to feature or announce their works.

Jim Durrell, chair of the OCC board, says he understands the NCC’s concerns but is confident they can be addressed. He says the new convention centre was built to be an architectural model for the city, and the art wall will be an outstanding addition.

“Any time you break new ground and are on the leading edge, change never comes easy. I think they have some concerns that we are respectful of and I believe we can answer all of their concerns,” Durrell said.

“We are building something that’s a game-changer, and we are not going to do anything that will embarrass the convention centre, the city or the NCC. Over the last three years we’ve met all their expectations and the art wall we are going to do will live up to those same high standards.”

Bird says that as custodian of the capital, the NCC has every right to be skeptical about new design proposals, but he wants the agency to keep an open mind.

“The NCC has a difficult job to do and things like this have to be carefully thought out. But it would be way too easy to say ‘No’ to something like this, which is really what the future is about,” he said.

“The city sometimes gets into trouble because it doesn’t find ways to test, to examine and to explore. The excitement often gets stopped because we are too afraid. Rather than be afraid, the question that needs answering is ‘how do we figure out a way to do this.’”

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Convention+centre+argue+over+picture/4368856/story.html#ixzz1FPgQmaiy

waterloowarrior
Mar 2, 2011, 4:46 AM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5131/5490475467_515e87ed25.jpg

kwoldtimer
Mar 2, 2011, 12:15 PM
I'd wonder about the light pollution, but if they could ensure that there would be no commercial content or advertising of convention centre events, I might be tempted to go for it.

reidjr
Mar 2, 2011, 12:33 PM
I'd wonder about the light pollution, but if they could ensure that there would be no commercial content or advertising of convention centre events, I might be tempted to go for it.

The air canada centre has a massive screen on the front of there arena so i see no reason why this would not work in ottawa.

gjhall
Mar 2, 2011, 1:40 PM
How dare they distract from beige limestone!

kevinbottawa
Mar 2, 2011, 6:12 PM
The NCC doesn't know anything about building a vibrant city. The NCC should trust that a team, led by a former mayor, who've built the thing under budget, on time, and continually exceeded their bookings quota, would be professional enough to not make the capital look stupid.

The purpose of the screen is clear; it's for artistic purposes.

But even if they were advertising convention centre events, what's the problem?

citizen j
Mar 2, 2011, 9:06 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5131/5490475467_515e87ed25.jpg

Hmmm, very Warhol. Nice.

Richard Eade
Mar 3, 2011, 3:28 PM
It might detract from the ever-so-inspiring south view of the old Union Station.

waterloowarrior
Mar 4, 2011, 2:23 AM
NCC guarding capital’s character by questioning big screen near the canal, CEO says

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/guarding+capital+character+questioning+screen+near+canal+says/4380036/story.html
BY MOHAMMED ADAM, OTTAWA CITIZEN MARCH 3, 2011 7:02 PM BE THE FIRST TO POST A COMMENT

OTTAWA — The proposed LED screen on the south wall of the Ottawa Convention Centre has wider implications for the capital and the National Capital Commission has a responsibility to ask tough questions in order to make the right decision for the future, NCC chief executive Marie Lemay said Thursday.

The convention centre is due to open next month, and it hopes to install a large viewscreen on a blank wall facing the Mackenzie King Bridge, next to the Rideau Centre. It could be used for art displays and to promote cultural events, according to the centre, which is negotiating with the NCC over whether the screen can be installed.

Lemay said the NCC has a mandate to safeguard the “inner character of the capital,” including scenic landscapes and views along the Rideau Canal, and any proposal that might affect the surrounding environment has to be vetted. She said the NCC hasn’t made up its mind on the proposal, and at this stage its permanent staff don’t know whether they would recommend the screen to their board for approval or not.

But they have enough concerns to raise for a healthy discussion. Among the questions: Is this the right thing to do, is this the right time to do it, and is it a good fit?

“We’ve been talking about a vibrant capital and how you can make it livable and exciting, and is a digital screen part of that strategy? Is this a sign of the times? And is it something we have to move to?” Lemay said.

“The Rideau Canal corridor is important to the character of the capital, and the question becomes, ‘Is a digital screen compatible with the character of this particular location? Is it a good thing but maybe not in that location?’”

According to the proposal by the convention centre, the LED screen measuring about 10 metres by 12 metres would be a platform to showcase Canadian art, connect Ottawa interactively with the rest of the country, and show live video of events, including Canada Day celebrations. It would also feature sponsorship advertising. But Lemay said that in the proposal, 50 per cent of the content would be of “commercial nature,” and the NCC has to decide “how that would fit.”

The Citizen has learned that the NCC worries that the screen might turn into a giant billboard for ads, some of which might not be tasteful.

But convention-centre chair Jim Durrell said the screen will be subject to the same high standards that went into the new building, and nothing embarrassing will appear on the media board.

Convention Centre executives appeared before the NCC’s advisory committee on planning and design Thursday to present their proposal to a panel of architects, planners and designers drawn from across the country. The panel’s comments will go to NCC staff who will make a recommendation to the board for a decision.

Lemay couldn’t say when the board will take the issue up, even though the centre is hoping to set up the screen in time for Canada Day.

Whatever happens, Lemay said the proposal has opened up a serious discussion about what kind capital Ottawa should be, and whether innovations like new media screens should be part of its future.

“I don’t know where this is going to end, and at the end of the day I don’t know if we would recommend to the board to go down that path or not. But it is important that we seriously look at this and maybe it will also help us take a good look at the future,” she said.

O-Town Hockey
Mar 4, 2011, 5:00 AM
I would love to see this board advertising cultural attractions and conventions in Ottawa. It could focus on NAC events, conventions, new exhibits at National Gallery/Nature/War/Civilization, and (of course) NCC festivals/events (i.e. Winterlude, Tulip Festival, Canada Day). I see nothing wrong with that and the Convention Centre could make a bit of revenue off of the NCC. I really wouldn't want to see other crap up there like McDicks or SDM adverts.

kwoldtimer
Mar 4, 2011, 12:36 PM
From "Art Wall" to billboard. At least the discussion should be more honest. The wall was obviously built for that purpose and the screen will no doubt be installed as there is money to be made.

Ottawade
Mar 13, 2011, 4:33 PM
I would love to see this board advertising cultural attractions and conventions in Ottawa. It could focus on NAC events, conventions, new exhibits at National Gallery/Nature/War/Civilization, and (of course) NCC festivals/events (i.e. Winterlude, Tulip Festival, Canada Day). I see nothing wrong with that and the Convention Centre could make a bit of revenue off of the NCC. I really wouldn't want to see other crap up there like McDicks or SDM adverts.

What he said!

reidjr
Mar 13, 2011, 4:34 PM

Most cities have screeens like this downtown if its done right i think it would wake up the downtown core.

aesthetic
Mar 22, 2011, 6:45 AM
The OCC site has some interior construction (http://ottawaconventioncentre.com/en/media-centre/construction-photo-gallery) pictures up for Feb.

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6383/photobywilliammcelligot.jpg (http://img836.imageshack.us/i/photobywilliammcelligot.jpg/)

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/7862/phototakenbywilliammcel.jpg (http://img811.imageshack.us/i/phototakenbywilliammcel.jpg/)

Aylmer
Mar 22, 2011, 10:50 AM
OHNO! The dreaded Convention Centre carpet! :yuck:

But everything else is awesome.

kevinbottawa
Mar 22, 2011, 7:15 PM
Is it just me or has the OCC website been down for a long time?

Harley613
Mar 22, 2011, 11:27 PM
OHNO! The dreaded Convention Centre carpet! :yuck:

But everything else is awesome.

dreaded but INCREDIBLE for hiding dirt ;)

O-Town Hockey
Mar 23, 2011, 12:07 AM
Such a cool project. All we need is another larger adjoining hotel (Rideau Centre Expansion) and we can start hosting some world-class events.

Cre47
Mar 24, 2011, 5:36 PM
Video coming from the Ottawa Citizen.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Sneak+peek+Ottawa+Convention+Centre/4497000/story.html

K-133
Mar 24, 2011, 6:00 PM
Very cool - with quite the view too.

Each panel is unique? Must be quite the expense to replace!

Admiral Nelson
Mar 30, 2011, 4:55 AM
Progress as of March 28, just over two weeks before the centre opens. Only finishing touches left.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3976/img2998b.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1386/img2999b.jpg

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1500/img3001b.jpg

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1717/img3002b.jpg

kevinbottawa
Mar 30, 2011, 4:01 PM
I wonder if that waterfront plaza will actually attract people. If it'll actually become a gathering place or if it'll just be an empty place that looks nice.

O-Town Hockey
Mar 30, 2011, 4:52 PM
I wonder if that waterfront plaza will actually attract people. If it'll actually become a gathering place or if it'll just be an empty place that looks nice.

Well, I think the gang of homeless (and wannabe homeless) teenagers will be happy to have their hangout back.

reidjr
Mar 30, 2011, 4:54 PM

My fear is it will be a gathering place for protesters.

ThePlanner
Mar 30, 2011, 6:00 PM
My fear is it will be a gathering place for protesters.

That fear is a highly undesirable quality for citizens of a free and democratic country such as Canada to have.

reidjr
Mar 30, 2011, 6:37 PM
That fear is a highly undesirable quality for citizens of a free and democratic country such as Canada to have.

Its not about the right to protest everyone has that right ottawa has massive amount of protests we have many aeas that are good for protests my point is this area i would hope this would not just be a protest area and thats it.Some would even say protests in canada are a bit out of control and somefail to understand there rights yes you have a right to protest you don't have a right to cause damage buildings or shut metting or events down you don't agree with.

ThaLoveDocta
Mar 30, 2011, 6:37 PM

But an entirely reasonable one for the citizens of a city prone the hosting the entire nations grievances... Some of us still have to drive to work.

reidjr
Mar 30, 2011, 6:44 PM
But an entirely reasonable one for the citizens of a city prone the hosting the entire nations grievances... Some of us still have to drive to work.

The only point i was trying to make is i don't want this to be just a protest zone.

DarkArconio
Mar 30, 2011, 11:38 PM
It's interesting that the building extends under the bridge. If you drive under, you can see glass has been put into the bridge supports along the road. Also driving underneath the rideau centre has become way cooler, the glass face actually extends halfway over the road.

Davis137
Mar 31, 2011, 12:50 AM
It looks like some updates to the ceiling fascia and lighting on Daly under the mall is taking place as well, to better tie-in the new complex...

Radster
Mar 31, 2011, 3:29 PM

I see in the picture that there is ramp leading into this area from Colonel By, so this leads me to believe that it will be used by TV stations to drive their vans into this area and set up shop during high profile events at the Convention Centre.

ThaLoveDocta
Apr 4, 2011, 3:56 PM
I understand PCL earned occupancy at the end of last week.
Looks like they're going to pull it off.

c_speed3108
Apr 4, 2011, 6:40 PM
I understand PCL earned occupancy at the end of last week.
Looks like they're going to pull it off.

The wall inside the Rideau Centre has come down. There are doors again.

The owners have been given the keys.

The new stairway from the Bridge down to Col. By is now open.

c_speed3108
Apr 6, 2011, 12:30 PM
...and now hotel needs

THE NEW OCC: The next downtown build

Elizabeth Howell
Published on April 6, 2011

With convention centre complete, focus turns to potential new hotel on Viking-Rideau land

That blank stretch of parking lot next to the Rideau Centre could become a four-star hotel in the coming years, analysts say, as the Ottawa Convention Centre increases the demand for downtown accommodations.

The 46,300-square-foot development site near Nicholas and Rideau streets has been temporarily zoned as a parking lot since 1992, and in December, owner Viking Rideau Corp. requested that be extended for another three years.

Along with the site at Rideau and Nicholas streets, Viking Rideau also owns a 34,600-square-foot development site that runs along Nicholas Street, between the Mackenzie King Bridge and Daly Avenue, that features the old Land Registry Office building.

An expansion of the shopping mall and a new hotel are the developments most often talked about for the sites.

“With a good conference centre, the number of delegates attending will create a demand for more hotels,” said Barry Nabatian, the director of research at real estate appraisal and consulting firm Shore Tanner & Associates.

“We have had no new downtown hotel for quite some time, and I think it’s time.”

The proximity of high-profile hotels nearby, such as the Westin Ottawa and the Fairmont Chateau Laurier, will likely make this hotel a four-star facility aimed at a more budget-conscious traveller, he added.

A residential development might be a more lucrative option in the long term, but Alam Pirani, the executive managing director of Colliers International Hotels, agrees a hotel is a strong possibility.

“If a hotel gets built, I think the only hotel you can justify building is a select service – a Hilton Garden Inn or Homewood Suites, or a Starwood Aloft or Element,” he said.

“(Something) that’s branded with one of the international brands, but that doesn’t have the full beverage and meeting facilities as it’s costly to build.”

Still, the executive director of the Ottawa Gatineau Hotel Association said he was skeptical that a hotel development would take place any time soon.

“I’m not aware of any new development (activity) and it would be a surprise,” said Dick Brown.

He estimated such a development would cost $120 million to $150 million, were it to go forward, and he still foresees plenty of slack in the Ottawa hotel market for visitors given there was an overall occupancy rate of about 68 per cent across the city last year, up from 67 per cent in 2009.

“The overall investment market is very depressed, and to build a hotel close to the convention centre would cost a lot.”

Rideau Centre general manager Cindy VanBuskirk declined to comment on the development possibilities for the site.

In a December interview, Ms. VanBuskirk said there was no set timeline for the development of the land. She said Viking Rideau is constantly evaluating the best use of the land, but acknowledged the hospitality sector would be a good fit.

“There is going to be a requirement over time for an additional hotel in the downtown core, which could very comfortably end up on our site,” Ms. VanBuskirk said at the time.

“Prime real estate in the heart of the nation’s capital is not going to sit undeveloped for long.”

A timely development?

1979: Rideau Centre and Congress Centre built under a partnership between the federal, regional and municipal governments.

1983: Congress Centre opens.

1988: A proposal is put forward to triple the centre’s space to 225,000 square feet, which Laventhol and Horwath Consultants turn down.

1997: A regional government committee asks Viking Rideau Corp. and Minto Developments Ltd. for proposals to expand the centre for about $100 million.

2000: The Ontario government and others suggest a $150-million expansion to go on top of the former Eaton’s store, which closed in 1999.

2002: Then-provincial finance minister Jim Flaherty offers $25 million for the expansion if matched by the federal and city governments. The next year, provincial and federal officials each chip in $30 million for expansion, while the city contributes $25 million, the private sector $3.6 million, and Viking Rideau $10 million.

2003: Consultant Doug Fyfe estimates Ottawa lost $150 million over six years because there is not enough convention space.

2005: The city criticizes the Congress Centre for the estimated $115-million expansion price tag, as well as for not signing an agreement with Viking Rideau.

2006: Viking Rideau rejects the centre’s proposal.

2007: Pat Kelly named the centre’s new president after David Hamilton retires, and fires the centre’s chief operating officer. Congress Centre officials approve a plan to demolish the centre and replace it with a 200,000-square-foot building in the same footprint.

2008: The provincial and federal governments each contribute $50 million to the expansion, and the city offers $40 million. PCL Constructors Inc. and Brisbin Brook Beynon Architects win the construction contract to build the centre. Work begins in October.

2009: Officials decide to name the new facility the Ottawa Convention Centre.

2011: The centre opens on time and on budget in April.

Source: OBJ files

kevinbottawa
Apr 6, 2011, 4:12 PM
That blank stretch of parking lot next to the Rideau Centre could become a four-star hotel in the coming years, analysts say, as the Ottawa Convention Centre increases the demand for downtown accommodations.

Sounds like these analysts are saying that the space between the Ogilvie building and the Rideau Centre may be a site for a hotel. It would make more sense to put stores there.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Apr 6, 2011, 8:51 PM
Sounds like these analysts are saying that the space between the Ogilvie building and the Rideau Centre may be a site for a hotel. It would make more sense to put stores there.

Compromise: much awaited and needed Rideau Centre expansion can take up 3-4 floors, and the hotel can go above that.

c_speed3108
Apr 7, 2011, 3:54 PM
Compromise: much awaited and needed Rideau Centre expansion can take up 3-4 floors, and the hotel can go above that.

Make it 4....we can have an expanded theater! :)

JacquesGréber
Apr 8, 2011, 2:55 AM

How about no compromise? street level retail only and try to encourage retail development east along Rideau st and in the market?

kevinbottawa
Apr 8, 2011, 3:46 PM

I didn't think of that. Sounds good.

Admiral Nelson
Apr 9, 2011, 5:45 PM
Yesterday crews washed the windows. Looks much better now.

eternallyme
Apr 9, 2011, 7:56 PM
How about no compromise? street level retail only and try to encourage retail development east along Rideau st and in the market?

I think the expanded Rideau Centre should take up the 2nd and 3rd floors of land over the surface parking lot and the 2nd to 5th floors of the old Ogilvy building, that portion would be strictly for department or large stores due to the uneven heights (L2 and L3 from Ogilvy would be accessible from L2 of Rideau, L4 and L5 from Ogilvy would be accessible from L3 of Rideau).

The surface lot ground level should be converted to a bus terminal for terminating OC Transpo and intercity buses with shopping above (buses would also load on Nicholas Street, which would be converted to one-way in the area). A staircase and elevator from the central platform would go directly into the Rideau Centre. Intercity buses would use the curb lane on Nicholas and bays closest to the Ogilvy building. L1 of the Ogilvy building would be strictly for bus ticketing and operations. Layover space for up to 8 buses would be provided as well.

O-Town Hockey
Apr 10, 2011, 4:41 PM
Yesterday crews washed the windows. Looks much better now.

I biked by yesterday. They weren't quite done the windows on the North end of the building (90% done), but it looked awesome! Compared to what things used to look like:

http://rlv.zcache.com/ottawa_congress_center_ottawa_ontario_canada_card-p137473969570241276q6k5_400.jpg

This is a great thing for Ottawa. Props to Jim Durrel for making it happen! Food and wine show is gonna be sick next year!

Ottawan
Apr 10, 2011, 5:45 PM
I second that. I've been away from Ottawa for the past three months, and was in-and-out for much of the year before, so I've been mostly following developments through this forum. I passed the new Convention Centre on the transitway for the first time earlier this week and the sight brought to me such a feeling of astonishment and civic pride that it nearly brought tears to my eyes. For once we've really done something right.

waterloowarrior
Apr 10, 2011, 11:29 PM
9 april by southfacing @ flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5066/5604718974_88d7060aa9_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/5604718974/

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5108/5604719772_0a62f12fe9_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/5604719772/in/photostream/

ajldub
Apr 30, 2011, 2:03 PM
Couldn't have put it better myself, Ottawan. I saw this for the first time when I was back in Ottawa over Easter and she is a bold beauty. And on time and under budget, no less. The joke's over: bring back Durrell!

WW thanks for the photos. The Westin and the DND are begging to be torn down now and redeveloped. This stretch of road has the potential to be a fantastic postmodernist mile that introduces drivers to the market district/federal precinct. Keep going Ottawa!

aesthetic
Jun 29, 2011, 4:46 PM
I just saw on CTV local news that the NCC has approved the installation of the LED sign on the side of the CC. It's approved on the terms of a three year pilot project.

kevinbottawa
Jun 29, 2011, 4:55 PM
I just saw on CTV local news that the NCC has approved the installation of the LED sign on the side of the CC. It's approved on the terms of a three year pilot project.

It's funny how closed the NCC was to the idea. At one point they weren't even sure they wanted to bring the idea to the NCC board. Now, according to CTV, they believe the screen may help to boost tourism.

Hopefully the screen will be visible from Confederation Park and City Hall/the Rink of Dreams to help them attract people.

McC
Jun 29, 2011, 6:47 PM
9 april by southfacing @ flickr
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5108/5604719772_0a62f12fe9_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/5604719772/in/photostream/
Just noticed the letters from the old EATON (now "ONTAE") sign are just hanging out on the roof of Sears'
HA!

rakerman
Jun 30, 2011, 1:40 AM
The Westin and the DND are begging to be torn down now and redeveloped. This stretch of road has the potential to be a fantastic postmodernist mile that introduces drivers to the market district/federal precinct. Keep going Ottawa!

Ya the Westin and NDHQ really have to go - the beauty of the Convention Centre makes it glaringly obvious how odd it is to put ugly buildings next to prime canal land in the heart of downtown. I also wish they would just close Colonel By so there would be a natural flow from the Convention Centre across to the canalside walkway.

gjhall
Jun 30, 2011, 4:23 AM
Ya the Westin and NDHQ really have to go - the beauty of the Convention Centre makes it glaringly obvious how odd it is to put ugly buildings next to prime canal land in the heart of downtown. I also wish they would just close Colonel By so there would be a natural flow from the Convention Centre across to the canalside walkway.

What utter nonsense. Neither are gems, but is there really anything particularly offensive about either? And don't say it's because they don't interact with the waterfront or street, as there are PLENTY of other assets/opportunity areas to try that in the immediate area before we start imploding 20 storey buildings for the sake of contemporary aesthetic considerations.

waterloowarrior
Jun 30, 2011, 4:32 AM
Convention centre screen OK’d

Pilot project approved

BY MARIA COOK, THE OTTAWA CITIZEN JUNE 29, 2011 11:01 PM

OTTAWA — The National Capital Commission has approved a three-year pilot project for a giant outdoor digital screen on the Ottawa Convention Centre.

In total, there will be 291 square metres of electronic surface on three screens: two on the south side facing the Mackenzie King Bridge and one on the west side beside the outdoor conical elevator.

The screens will simultaneously broadcast a mix of advertising, promotion of local events, and artistic images between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m.

Eight members voted in favour on Wednesday.

Board members Adel Ayad, and Richard Aubry and Frieda Martselos voted against the proposal.

A large screen on the south side of the convention centre will occupy 223 metres and have two components: a low resolution LED screen for artistic presentations and a high resolution screen that on an hourly basis will show:

— 30 minutes of commercial advertising for products and services such as cars, hotels and energy providers.

— 20 minutes of artistic content from potential sources such as the National Gallery of Canada, the Ottawa Art Gallery, the National Film Board and public and private broadcasters.

- 10 minutes of promotions for activities at the convention centre, Ottawa Tourism, and special events such as Winterlude, Remembrance Day or the Throne Speech.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Convention+centre+screen/5024575/story.html#ixzz1QjMHxGQS

Luker
Jun 30, 2011, 5:10 AM
cool, flashy big city ottawa: suck on that NIMBYS

Zach6668
Jun 30, 2011, 10:09 AM
50% product commercials seems high, but I'd have no idea what to compare it to. Figured they'd be advertising events, festivals, etc a bit more.

Oh well, sounds cool.

McC
Jun 30, 2011, 11:46 AM
What utter nonsense. Neither are gems, but is there really anything particularly offensive about either? And don't say it's because they don't interact with the waterfront or street, as there are PLENTY of other assets/opportunity areas to try that in the immediate area before we start imploding 20 storey buildings for the sake of contemporary aesthetic considerations.

agreed, and in more practical terms, the Westin recently completed a major round of renovations inside (haven't seen much of it, but the new lobby's gorgeous), so it's not going anywhere.

All that said, it would be nice to see the Westin improve its front entrance to make it more welcoming to the new plaza and intersection that the NCC may someday get around to. (but there's not much point in the Westin doing anything until they know what it's going to look like)

McC
Jun 30, 2011, 11:53 AM
50% product commercials seems high, but I'd have no idea what to compare it to. Figured they'd be advertising events, festivals, etc a bit more.

Oh well, sounds cool.

They cite displaying adverts for special events, but not whether it c/would broadcast the special events themselves? It would be much easier to put up the Canada Day speeches on those screens than to erect tempo screens for example. (I've always found MacKing Bridge to be a good place to hang out on Canada Day because of the commanding views, and having the screen broadcasting the feed from the Hill would just make it even better!)

kevinbottawa
Jun 30, 2011, 1:12 PM
I don't know anything about electronics/tech. Why would they do high resolution for the advertisements and low resolution for the artistic content?

Convention centre screen OK’d

Pilot project approved

BY MARIA COOK, THE OTTAWA CITIZEN JUNE 29, 2011 11:01 PM

OTTAWA — The National Capital Commission has approved a three-year pilot project for a giant outdoor digital screen on the Ottawa Convention Centre.

In total, there will be 291 square metres of electronic surface on three screens: two on the south side facing the Mackenzie King Bridge and one on the west side beside the outdoor conical elevator.

The screens will simultaneously broadcast a mix of advertising, promotion of local events, and artistic images between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m.

Eight members voted in favour on Wednesday.

Board members Adel Ayad, and Richard Aubry and Frieda Martselos voted against the proposal.

A large screen on the south side of the convention centre will occupy 223 metres and have two components: a low resolution LED screen for artistic presentations and a high resolution screen that on an hourly basis will show:

— 30 minutes of commercial advertising for products and services such as cars, hotels and energy providers.

— 20 minutes of artistic content from potential sources such as the National Gallery of Canada, the Ottawa Art Gallery, the National Film Board and public and private broadcasters.

- 10 minutes of promotions for activities at the convention centre, Ottawa Tourism, and special events such as Winterlude, Remembrance Day or the Throne Speech.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Convention+centre+screen/5024575/story.html#ixzz1QjMHxGQS

kwoldtimer
Jun 30, 2011, 1:17 PM
:previous:

Priorities and economics. It is a billboard, after all.

reidjr
Jun 30, 2011, 1:21 PM
Does anyone know if sporting events can be shown on this screen such as the all star game?

McC
Jun 30, 2011, 1:22 PM
I don't know anything about electronics/tech. Why would they do high resolution for the advertisements and low resolution for the artistic content?

it does seem bass ackward, doesn't it?

kevinbottawa
Jun 30, 2011, 2:52 PM
Does anyone know if sporting events can be shown on this screen such as the all star game?

In Cardiff, Wales they have a big video screen outside their convention/performing arts centre which is in St. David's Square and they show both artistic/cultural and sports programming, especially soccer (aka football) and rugby. These new screens would be a good place to watch Sens/Ottawa CFL playoff games (if they reach the finals), and the Olympic hockey/world juniors finals (if Canada is playing).

Dado
Jun 30, 2011, 4:14 PM
:previous:

Priorities and economics. It is a billboard, after all.

That doesn't explain going to extra effort and expenditure to put in a second, low-res screen in what I would guess is a dual-screen system for the sole purpose of presenting artistic content at a lower resolution. Economics would suggest just having one screen - high resolution - for everything.

It could be that we are also misinterpreting a poorly-written article. Perhaps the secondary screen is for older content (i.e. some artistic content from the NFB, etc.) that is not available in HD, while all newer content, both artistic and advertising, will be on the high-res screen.

ThaLoveDocta
Jun 30, 2011, 8:21 PM
agreed, and in more practical terms, the Westin recently completed a major round of renovations inside (haven't seen much of it, but the new lobby's gorgeous), so it's not going anywhere.

All that said, it would be nice to see the Westin improve its front entrance to make it more welcoming to the new plaza and intersection that the NCC may someday get around to. (but there's not much point in the Westin doing anything until they know what it's going to look like)

Actually i believe its for sale....

There was a for sale ReMax sign on the front pier

waterloowarrior
Sep 8, 2011, 4:40 PM
RFP out for the screen, closes sept 27
http://www.merx.com/English/SUPPLIER_Menu.asp?WCE=Show&TAB=1&PORTAL=MERX&State=7&id=227375&src=osr&FED_ONLY=0&ACTION=&rowcount=&lastpage=&MoreResults=&PUBSORT=0&CLOSESORT=0&IS_SME=Y&hcode=1tPXAQh0A1zrP9eGvN8w4Q%3d%3d

Digital Display Screens Request for Proposals

The Ottawa Convention Centre (OCC) is currently in the final close-out stage of its redevelopment project which has transformed the centre into a state-of-the-art convention facility in downtown Ottawa.

On November 12, 2008, the OCC executed the Design/Build Agreement with PCL to demolish, design, build and short-term finance the new centre. At the end of 2009, AVW Telav was selected to implement the required infrastructure for the OCC technology program and to manage these services as an integrated partner to the OCC for a specified term.

Not included in either PCL’s or AVW Telav’s scope is the infrastructure, systems and services necessary to deliver the recently approved addition of a 3-year Art Wall Pilot Project to the south façade of the new facility. As such, this document covers the requirements of the digital display screens with detailed scope outlined in sections 4 and 6.

The new facility is expected to achieve LEED silver certification and in the spirit of this accomplishment the OCC is expecting the art wall to further contribute to minimizing the environmental and energy impacts of operating the new facility.

All RFP Proponents must respond to mandatory criteria as outlined in this RFP to ensure their proposal is deemed compliant. However, RFP Proponents are urged to provide alternate solutions to the requirements where better value or increased operational effectiveness can be realized.

bobcage
Oct 22, 2011, 5:12 PM
Anyone know when these big screens will be put up ?

Kitchissippi
Nov 3, 2011, 7:43 PM
I went inside the building for the first time today. The views are truly spectacular, but I was a bit disappointed with the interior fit and finish. They could not have picked a more drab and depressing carpeting for such a light filled space, it reminds me of grey late-winter days when the snow is dirty and crap is defrosting. I just don't get the the heavy orange-brown metal panels along the ramps and railings, some of them are off-coloured — is something supposed to go on them? In a modern building like this, badly executed details really stick out, for example, going up to Trillium Ballroom there are perforated metal panels beside the escalators that look like they've been made and installed by amateurs, all dented. Other than these superficial blemishes, it is WAY better than the old congress centre.

That_Chris
Nov 4, 2011, 12:35 AM
What a beautiful development. I can't help but contrast this to the Toronto ROM. This just further reiterates what an ugly job the ROM turned out to be. Can't wait to head up to Ottawa some time and see this.

waterloowarrior
Apr 18, 2012, 11:46 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2012/04/18/ottawa-ncc-lrt-station-elgin-national-arts-centre.html?cmp=rss

Art wall project on hold
Lemay made her comment at the annual public meeting of the National Capital Commission on Wednesday.

She also told reporters that the controversial plan to put up an "art wall" on one side of Ottawa Convention Centre has been put on hold.

The centre wanted to use the digital wall to promote events but also to act as a form of art, similar to the large, digital screen at Times Square in New York City.

Some community groups argued it would be too commercial for the nearby Rideau Canal, a UNESCO-approved World Heritage site.

"We've been informed that the OCC and their board has suspended the project," she said. "I think the financial model of the wall is something they are questioning, so they would like to suspend the project and possibly revisit it later."

Admiral Nelson
Apr 19, 2012, 12:54 AM
What a pity. I wonder if the OCC actually arrived at that decision independently...

citizen j
Apr 19, 2012, 2:13 AM
No doubt some ladies-who-lunch from the Golden Triangle threatened to march down to the OCC and bust the joint up if the screen got installed and blighted the landscape with unsightly electric lighting.
And before I get called sexist, let's say that I'm using the term 'ladies' inclusively.

S-Man
Apr 19, 2012, 3:19 AM
Bust the joint up...love it.

"Listen here you NCC whippersnappers. Deep six the screen or we'll put you on ice!"

waterloowarrior
Apr 23, 2012, 1:53 AM
16 April 2012 jcm @ flickr
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7140/7104087341_ca4d933fe7_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/-jm/7104087341/in/photostream/

J.OT13
Feb 1, 2013, 9:01 PM
Proposed tunnel would link new convention centre with Conference Centre.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Proposed+tunnel+would+link+convention+centre+with+Conference+Centre/2238309/story.html

BY PATRICK DARE , THE OTTAWA CITIZENNOVEMBER 18, 2009 6:43 PMBE THE FIRST TO POST A COMMENT

OTTAWA — The Ottawa Convention Centre is proposing to build a tunnel to link its new building with the Government Conference Centre.

The National Capital Commission’s planning staff briefed its board of directors Wednesday about the plan, saying the tunnel would be the first of two underground pedestrian links between important buildings in that part of downtown. A second tunnel link could later be built under the Rideau Canal, connecting the Conference Centre with the National Arts Centre.

Patrick Kelly, president of the Ottawa Convention Centre, said his group is bringing the project to the federal and provincial governments because now is the time to build a pedestrian link if it’s ever going to be done.

The old Ottawa Congress Centre on Colonel By Drive has been demolished and the new Ottawa Convention Centre is being built, including an entirely new treatment of the road with one lane eliminated and two pedestrian crossings added. New greenspace along Colonel By will include a stand of trees and benches by the Rideau Canal.

Kelly said the tunnel between the convention centre and the conference centre — the historic Union Station opened by prime minister Wilfrid Laurier — would cost between $9 million and $10 million.

That cost isn’t part of the convention project, so would require federal and provincial funding.

“The response so far has been encouraging,” said Kelly. But he said the approval would have to come soon because construction must be completed for the opening of the new centre in 16 months.

The board of the NCC, which has members from across Canada, appeared interested in the tunnel idea. The board approved the landscaping project, which is the NCC’s responsibility. Board member Jacquelin Holzman said the idea of pedestrian linkages among important downtown buildings went back many years.

Former NCC chairman Jean Pigott, who said such a project was important for visitors of such a northern capital city, most passionately advocated the concept and commissioned a study on it.

Holzman noted that the federal government built a wooden pedestrian linkage between the conference centre and the NAC for one international conference. She said pedestrian linkages are important for both tourists and convention delegates.

Linda Dicaire, senior manager of design review with the NCC, said issues such as lighting and ventilation would have to be worked out. She said it was important that any tunnel be “a connection that is pleasing and that people want to use.”

There is a long-established pedestrian tunnel between the Chateau Laurier and the Government Conference Centre that has been well used for years. As well, the convention centre will have a strong pedestrian link to the Westin Hotel and the Rideau Centre.

Dick Brown, president of the Ottawa Gatineau Hotel Association, said the tunnel project makes a lot of sense.

“We just think it’s an opportunity,” said Brown. “It starts the underground community for Ottawa.”

Whatever happened to this? Forget a covered pedestrian sidewalk from the OCC to the NAC (would cut off views and look stupid), skip Union Station until they figure something out and build a short tunnel between the OCC and NAC.

BTW, thread still says U/C.

waterloowarrior
Feb 13, 2013, 10:40 PM
"art wall" may be coming back again... naming rights for the convention center under discussion
http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/sites/default/files/pubs/e08.00_-_2013-p81e_-_ottawa_convention_centre-all.pdf

kevinbottawa
Feb 14, 2013, 1:37 AM
Maybe Apple will get the rights and they could call it the "Apple iCentre", the digital wall could be a giant ipad, and there could be ipads throughout the convention centre. Actually...nevermind, that would suck. Anyway, I'm sure a lot of companies would want their name on a convention centre and digital wall in the nation's capital, especially a beautiful building like that. They'll make some good money selling those naming rights.

J.OT13
Feb 14, 2013, 1:52 AM
Maybe Apple will get the rights and they could call it the "Apple iCentre", the digital wall could be a giant ipad, and there could be ipads throughout the convention centre. Actually...nevermind, that would suck. Anyway, I'm sure a lot of companies would want their name on a convention centre and digital wall in the nation's capital, especially a beautiful building like that. They'll make some good money selling those naming rights.

I've always despised the idea of selling naming rights, especially when we are talking about signature buildings like the Convention Centre (or the Civic Centre, I wasn't thrilled when we lost the Palladium either).

I hope that money brings a better solution to connect the NAC to Rideau Station than a covered walkway on the Mackenzie King.

Boxster
Feb 14, 2013, 5:32 PM
"art wall" may be coming back again... naming rights for the convention center under discussion
http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/sites/default/files/pubs/e08.00_-_2013-p81e_-_ottawa_convention_centre-all.pdf

I just cannot believe the amount of red tape one has to go through to get anything done in Ottawa. No wonder we are decades behind Toronto and Vancouver.

kevinbottawa
Feb 14, 2013, 7:10 PM
I've always despised the idea of selling naming rights, especially when we are talking about signature buildings like the Convention Centre (or the Civic Centre, I wasn't thrilled when we lost the Palladium either).

I hope that money brings a better solution to connect the NAC to Rideau Station than a covered walkway on the Mackenzie King.

I was iffy about it too until I saw the one in Calgary is called the "Calgary Telus Convention Centre" and the Niagara Falls one is the "Scotiabank Convention Centre" with "Niagara, Canada" in the logo. I'd preferred the current name, but I can't blame them for capitalizing on an opportunity, especially if it helps to make the art wall a reality.

kevinbottawa
Jul 16, 2013, 6:13 PM
Convention Centre hires Toronto firm to sell naming rights

Published on July 16, 2013
OBJ Staff

The Ottawa Convention Centre says it has hired a marketing firm as part of its search to find a corporate sponsor to purchase the naming rights sponsor for the downtown facility.

Wakeham & Associates Marketing Inc. will represent the facility as it seeks a sponsor.

In a statement, the Toronto-based firm said the successful applicant would receive benefits such as advertising, signage, hospitality opportunities and unspecified “intellectual property and promotional rights.”

Additionally, the proponent may be identified as the “official supplier” of “relevant products and services,” the announcement stated, subject to competitive procurement and pricing.

Plans to auction off the naming rights were first announced this spring. At the time, officials said they hoped a sponsor would pay $500,000.

The convention centre opened in 2011. Last year, it hosted more than 600,000 people across dozens of events, with representatives coming both locally and from outside of the city. Major recent events include the Ottawa Wine and Food Festival and the NHL All-Star Fan Fair.

If successful, the Ottawa Convention Centre would be the latest local facility with a new moniker.

In 2012, the CE Centre awarded naming rights to Ernst & Young and renamed the 220,000-square-foot airport-area convention centre after the accounting firm. The cost of the naming rights, and duration of the deal, was not disclosed.

Last month, the Ottawa Senators renamed its hockey arena The Canadian Tire Centre. Financial terms were not disclosed, but officials said the deal runs for eight years with an option to renew it for another decade.

http://www.obj.ca/Local/2013-07-16/article-3317072/Convention-Centre-hires-Toronto-firm-to-sell-naming-rights/1

J.OT13
Jul 16, 2013, 10:47 PM
Why do they have to hire someone to find a company willing to pay for the naming rights? I would like to know how much they will be paying these people. Is it worth it for just half a million?

Harley613
Mar 27, 2014, 7:38 PM
I love how detailed the corner of the 4th floor ballroom is
http://imgur.com/rRcoaWt.jpg

J.OT13
Mar 28, 2014, 1:22 AM
Weird, I never liked that detail. It looks like when you have too much cloth and you bunch it up and tie it down. Would have preferred a cleaner "end" to the curved wall.

Dundas
Mar 28, 2014, 2:25 AM
Is this digital art wall going to become a reality once the find a company for the naming rights?

EdFromOttawa
Mar 28, 2014, 9:45 AM
Is this digital art wall going to become a reality once the find a company for the naming rights?

God I hope so. Ottawa desperately needs some more flash and pizzazz in the downtown. Large size digital signage/art walls/video screens a la Times Square, Piccadilly Circus, or Maple Leaf Square would do wonders in Ottawa.

Dundas
Mar 28, 2014, 12:44 PM
Once light rail is running who will see this art wall anyway? Wont people be boarding the train from elsewhere than the bridge. If no one is waiting for the bus who will look at it?

Kitchissippi
Mar 28, 2014, 3:08 PM
That photo exposes the lack of finesse and low level of fit and finish of this building. The trim pieces were not sized properly and those gawd-awful tabs holding the window panes are just brutal. The least they could have done was invest in dark coloured fasteners instead of the cheap silver screws. There's a difference between an elegantly bound book and one that's stapled together.

bradnixon
Mar 28, 2014, 3:48 PM
That photo exposes the lack of finesse and low level of fit and finish of this building. The trim pieces were not sized properly and those gawd-awful tabs holding the window panes are just brutal. The least they could have done was invest in dark coloured fasteners instead of the cheap silver screws. There's a difference between an elegantly bound book and one that's stapled together.

Wow, that's extraordinarily nit-picky. I'm still a big fan of this building.

J.OT13
Mar 28, 2014, 4:31 PM
Once light rail is running who will see this art wall anyway? Wont people be boarding the train from elsewhere than the bridge. If no one is waiting for the bus who will look at it?

The bridge will still be served by west and south bound urban bus lines, and in the case of the south bound buses, we will probably see many more than we do today thanks to Lansdowne.

Other than that, people driving north on Colonel By and thousands of people on the canal in summer and winter will also see it.

kevinbottawa
Mar 28, 2014, 6:12 PM

They were supposed to have found someone to purchase the naming rights by now. I think the Winnipeg convention centre launched their naming rights competition after the Ottawa Convention Centre and they've already sold theirs.

Harley613
Mar 28, 2014, 6:33 PM

Strange...I find that this photo highlights the high level of fit and finish of this building. The trim pieces are creatively well cut to accommodate an interesting shape and the tabs holding the window panes look solid and secure, giving the impression the windows are snugly fastened. The only thing I agree on is the colour of the fasteners.

Kitchissippi
Mar 28, 2014, 7:10 PM
Fine architectural detailing is something that has really slipped in this town in the last half century. Modern architecture shouldn't be an excuse to just build things cheaper. Simple forms need a higher calibre of execution because the lack of decoration highlights the slightest misalignments or engineering compromises.

Sure that curved glass wall makes a strong statement for Ottawa, but compared to buildings elsewhere, the execution is mediocre.

Compare it to how the Louvre pyramid was done over 20 years ago:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bNLJBE3GwCc/UbXXw944YAI/AAAAAAAABt8/-5aNjPIKMGA/s1600/Louvre+Jan+2013+5.jpg

Or this building (http://www.dezeen.com/2012/06/18/kingkey-100-by-farrells/), where you won't see any ugly tabs and cheap fasteners:

http://static.dezeen.com/uploads/2012/06/dezeen_Kingkey_100_by_Farrells_11.jpg

Harley613
Mar 29, 2014, 1:37 AM
Neither of those buildings have underhanging glass. All the panes sit vertical or overhanging, thus not requiring large external tabs to hold them in place for safety. At the convention centre I assume they used the tabs on the whole project simply for uniformity since the entire underhanging section requires them.

Harley613
May 13, 2014, 1:58 AM
I love this building. It looked great this evening with the silhouettes on the top floor.

http://i.imgur.com/LvsmPit.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/L5QkU41.jpg

Detail of the glass wall
http://i.imgur.com/qqJ38iH.jpg

Boxster
May 13, 2014, 4:51 PM
Very nice pictures Harley613. Love the building.

LeadingEdgeBoomer
Jul 11, 2014, 1:42 AM
:)
Ottawa Convention Centre second best in world

By Amy Yee , Metro Ottawa

The Ottawa Convention Centre (OCC) has tied for 2nd place with Montreal’s Palais des congrès for the title of World’s Best Convention Centre.

The award was announced on July 1 by the International Association of Congress Centres (AIPC) in Berlin.

The Adelaide Convention Centre of Australia won top prize while a total of twenty seven centres from Kyoto to Switzerland were nominated for the award.

“To be nominated is one thing, but to be runner-up amongst so many elite centres is another,” said Paul Keogh, OCC senior vice-president of sales and client service.

The APIC Apex Award is based on client feedback and experience, taking in consideration the centre’s overall performance, services and amenities. The evaluation started in the fall of 2013 and was conducted by Ipsos.

Staff, said Keogh, were key to the centre’s placing.

“I am proud of this centre, but mostly of the people that work inside here,” said Keogh. “Everyone, regardless of positon, is the recipient of the award because it’s without them that we wouldn’t be in the position that we are.”

The consistency and future of the centre relies on that aspect, said Keogh.

“I think our quality of service will be really dedicated upon our hospitality and dedication to our craft,” he said.

The centre opened in April 2011 and replaced the Ottawa Congress Centre. In 2012 about 1,289 employees were staffed at the centre, hosting 527 events and serving 315,300 attendees.

At least they did not use the overdone phrase--world class :)

Uhuniau
Jul 11, 2014, 4:15 AM
:)At least they did not use the overdone phrase--world class :)

Give it (a very short amount of) time.

Boxster
Jul 12, 2014, 12:02 PM
Give it (a very short amount of) time.

This is surely WORLD CLASS...if not, what is? :cheers:

acottawa
Jul 12, 2014, 3:16 PM
This is surely WORLD CLASS...if not, what is? :cheers:

The award was for client rating, which is a nice achievement (like a restaurant getting a good rating on tripadvisor) but hardly seems an indication of "world class"

Also weird that the article identified Adelaide as the winner when the actual winner was Cairns - the two cities are thousands of kilometers apart.