15 storey residential tower
Developer: Charlesfort
Web: http://www.charlesfort.ca/continental/
Rendering:
http://charlesfort.ca/continental/images/ext-large-0.jpg

Site Plan: http://www.charlesfort.ca/continental/locations-and-elevations.pdf

eemy
Oct 27, 2007, 5:30 PM
This is a rather strange design, sort of Art Deco meets the International movement.

cityguy
Oct 28, 2007, 12:19 PM
Any Idea When Construction Wall Start?

waterloowarrior
Apr 15, 2008, 1:52 AM
updateOn Saturday I noticed that the site for the Continental has been fenced off and some heavy equipment is now on site.

harls
Apr 15, 2008, 2:07 PM
Thanks, I knew there was a thread here somewhere!

ajldub
Apr 16, 2008, 9:29 AM
Let's get this one built, if only so Charlefort can concentrate on working its magic elsewhere. Weren't some of you guys talking a while back about a building called the Orchid that was to go up next to city hall?

waterloowarrior
Jun 16, 2008, 2:30 AM
it should be interesting with this building and two more (http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/e-decisions/pl070727-May-05-2008.pdf) potentially (at the OMB right now) just across cleary. hopefully some of these buildings have a mixed use component. the continental seems to have some sort of retail/medical office on the ground floor.

Dado
Jun 16, 2008, 2:55 AM
:previous:

This isn't good... that site is one of the few remaining places that a light rail line can be easily shifted from the Parkway corridor to the Byron corridor.

If we had some actual light rail planning in this city we'd have secured the site already or at least assured ourselves of an underground easement. In fact, we should have done it for the site of the Continental. But no, we were too busy playing around for years planning to build a roller coaster line to the south end instead... and now one of the best corridors for integrating high density with light rail will likely pass through our fingers.

There's still Rochester Field, but that route is going to require tunnelling all the way to Cleary.

adam-machiavelli
Jun 16, 2008, 3:05 AM
This was never a viable route for light rail. It's bordered on all sides by other apartments, businesses and the Unitarian church and their large retirement complex.

Dado
Jun 16, 2008, 3:38 AM
Come again? That sounds about perfect... lots of sources of ridership, some of it all day as well.

The line would follow the old CPR alignment from Dominion behind all the townhouse condos and at Cleary (or rather the strip mall) it would enter a short tunnel to go under Cleary and Richmond to then emerge in the Byron tramway corridor. The routing would be better with the Continental site, but still doable with the strip mall site. The strip mall would have to go, but it would be redeveloped over the tunnel.

It makes more sense to run light rail in the Byron corridor west of Cleary than to follow the curving Parkway because it is both shorter and offers a lot more walk-on traffic and potential for intensification. East of Cleary the Byron corridor makes less sense because it is residential, there are far more crossings to deal with and there would be a much greater curve in the line where it passes through/under Rochester Field.

Radster
Jun 18, 2008, 5:08 PM
I agree 100% with Dado. We should bombard the NCC with e-mails that include this exact rationale for not building on the parkway and using the Byron corridor instead for the light rail. Perharps with enough e-mails, they will have the guts to say NO to the City of Ottawa which will then force the City to look at the Byron corridor more seriously.

Mille Sabords
Jun 18, 2008, 5:46 PM
I agree 100% with Dado. We should bombard the NCC with e-mails that include this exact rationale for not building on the parkway and using the Byron corridor instead for the light rail. Perharps with enough e-mails, they will have the guts to say NO to the City of Ottawa which will then force the City to look at the Byron corridor more seriously.

Yes.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jun 18, 2008, 6:29 PM

Done. :)

I also made light of the fact that the decision to use the parkway would affect what kind of vehicle is used and that for the cost of the entire system, what is an extra couple hundred million to get a truly effective transit system, more ridership and a more vibrant city?

Dado
Jun 18, 2008, 7:01 PM
Talk to Alex Cullen as well.

He's hosting a public meeting this evening on extending the Byron tramway park pathway from its current western terminus at Redwood all the way to Richardson. I don't dispute that this is overall a good idea, but I'm sure the sudden impetus behind the idea is to put the pathway down right in the middle where the light rail line would go as a way to prevent it from happening...

It wouldn't be the first time things were done to make a light rail alignment difficult over the years in the Dominion-Ambleside corridor:
-houses (!) built on the former CPR corridor east and west of Woodroffe, thereby blocking off the cheapest and least-impact corridor from being easily used
-infill housing project at the west end of the Byron tramway park with access onto Richmond instead of the the side streets that limits routing options for a Byron routing (even though the line could pass right beside the project by moving Richmond, the need for road access makes this more difficult)
-infill at Cleary on both sides further limiting routing options into the Byron corridor with no provision or consideration taken for light rail
-infill at the former RMOC property in Westboro (Amica) that would have provided an alternate route to Rochester Field and potential for a station closer to the west end of Westboro
-and, last, but certainly not least, no EA has been done for the West Transitway between Dominion and Lincoln Fields that would spell out the options to protect them. How is it that we have no EA for this vital part of the Transitway - where the NCC could end its agreement for the Parkway at any time - when we have them for the middle of Kanata and Barrhaven?

Anyway, the pathway should obviously be routed nearer the Byron side of the corridor where it can be used to access the stations.

http://www.alexcullen.ca/PDF/Notice_of_Meeting_18June08.pdf

Ciemny
Jul 25, 2008, 3:46 PM
Does anyone know wahts going on with this project? Every time I pass by the site there is no movement, weeds are starting to grow around the property seems like work ended in the middle of June.................and now nothing....no equipment on site either.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jul 25, 2008, 5:30 PM
They'll probably start on this once they finish Hudson Park II.

Tor2Ott
Jul 26, 2008, 4:41 AM
They'll probably start on this once they finish Hudson Park II.

That'll be well into 2009, maybe even 2010. From their website, sales for the Continental has stalled. I guess they were expecting sales to continue to be strong once they start excavating, but I guess not.

Mille Sabords
Aug 15, 2008, 2:13 PM
Now we know what really happened. I'd be furious too if I was Doug Casey. I hope this won't require changes to the look or setbacks of the building. Take a look:

=====================

Confusion over water main location delays condo project
City 'needs to get better handle' on its infrastructure, councillor says
Cassandra Drudi
The Ottawa Citizen
Friday, August 15, 2008

Confusion about the location of a major city water main has delayed construction on a condominium project near Westboro, infuriating the developer and one of the people who'd hoped to live there.

"Frankly, the city didn't know where the water main was," said Doug Casey, president of Charlesfort Developments.

Excavation at the site of the Continental, a 15-storey, 95-unit building slated to go up at Richmond Road and Cleary Avenue, was delayed when it was discovered that the city's water main lies one metre away from the property line, Mr. Casey said. Speaking with the Citizen yesterday, Mr. Casey and Charlesfort's director of sales, Wendy Bennett, said the developer submitted plans to the city to apply for rezoning of the property and that rezoning had been approved in 2006.

But the discovery of the water main's precise location after rezoning was approved has resulted in additional planning time and means the company will have to use a construction method that will cost $1 million more than it expected to spend, Mr. Casey said.

John Moser, the city's director of planning and the person earmarked to speak on this issue, was unavailable for comment yesterday.

City councillor Christine Leadman, whose ward is home to the development, said the delays speak to a larger issue.

"The city has to get a better handle on where this infrastructure is," she said. "These are things that we need to know."

Excavation on the project had been scheduled to begin in mid-January, with a move-in date in the summer of 2009, Mr. Casey said.

Now, excavation is scheduled to begin in September, and the move-in date has been pushed to the spring of 2010.

This delay has Mae Blanchard frustrated by the unforeseen wait and she's wondering how the developer didn't known about the water main when she bought a two-bedroom condo in the project on March 3.

"I can't have my life on hold for two years at my age," said Ms. Blanchard, 73, who expected to be able to move into her condo next summer. "You are prepared for delays, but you're not expecting to be delayed a year."

She is now looking at other condos, but doesn't think she'll be able to get her $20,000 deposit back.

"The issue here is that with the condo laws, I don't know what legal action there really is," said her son, James Blanchard. "It's so far beyond buyer-beware, it's scary.

Mr. Blanchard has been speaking with the developer and the city, trying to determine what exactly is going on with the project and why his mother wasn't alerted of the issue sooner.

"Surely they must have known about (the water main)," Mr. Blanchard said. "These guys knew that they couldn't deliver at the time of signing the contract."

Charlesfort did know about the water main issue by late February, before Ms. Blanchard bought her condo, but was given no indication by the city that it would take this long to address the issue, Ms. Bennett said.

"It's all in the protection of a water main that isn't even ours," she added.

After Charlesfort had spent time and money on marketing and design and had their rezoning application approved, they didn't expect to run into an issue as large as this, Mr. Casey said.

"It's not the time for them to be coming in saying, 'Oh yeah, we forgot about the water main.'"

cityguy
Aug 16, 2008, 12:34 PM
At least the project isn't cancelled.

Davis137
Aug 16, 2008, 3:53 PM
I like the way that building looks...it would also add a little bit more infill to the west end too...

I like your idea about the light rail along Byron...

harls
Nov 13, 2008, 4:27 PM
reposting Davis' post from the General discussion thread:

Updated pic of the site for the Continental on Richmond...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Drivesthebeast/DSCF1258.jpg

Davis137
Nov 13, 2008, 7:55 PM
I took a lot more pictures of that site, but they all turned out distorted...I don't know why, as I was stationary, and I had the Camera configured properly...lol

I will get some more pics of this, Westboro, 101 Richmond, and everything else in the neighbourhood once it stops friggen raining!

Davis137
Nov 23, 2008, 5:47 PM
Not many changes yet (ground is prepped and they are laying out all of the cast iron frames for the skeleton of the building for welding, and prep for the crane as well)...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Drivesthebeast/DSCF1274.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Drivesthebeast/DSCF1276.jpg

Should expect to see more changes soon though (Crane, more site hoarding, etc)

L8tz

Kitchissippi
Feb 13, 2009, 1:09 AM
Richmond Road has been narrowed temporarily to accommodate the construction activity which seems to be picking up pace. They were busy driving metal piles into the ground.

Davis137
Mar 24, 2009, 11:40 PM
Not only is Richmond narrowed, but they've also built the pedestrian enclosed sidewalk, and put up the hoarding around the property on at least 2 sides...I will get some updated pics of this project soon.

harls
Mar 30, 2009, 12:48 PM
I went by here on Saturday and there is indeed a massive hole in the ground.

No pics. :dunno:

Mille Sabords
Mar 30, 2009, 1:23 PM
I went by here on Saturday and there is indeed a massive hole in the ground.

No pics. :dunno:

I went by there yesterday, it looks like they're pouring. Also saw Westboro Station I, they have the brick up almost all the way through. (no pics either)

AuxTown
Mar 30, 2009, 8:02 PM
You guys suck. Just take our cell phones; it doesn't have to be a work of art. :D

Davis137
Apr 4, 2009, 4:23 AM
I will remedy this on Saturday...as well as take some pics of what's going on on Parkdale, accross from the Teron building at Tunney's (there is finally some work of some kind taking place there)...

Davis137
Apr 4, 2009, 4:05 PM
From Byron...hoarding up for pedestrian walkway...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Drivesthebeast/DSCF1324.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Drivesthebeast/DSCF1323.jpg

Sorry that they are both in the rain again (seems like all of my updated pics are in the rain most of the time...lol). Didn't feel too much like leaving the car to take them...

L8tz

Davis137
Jun 21, 2009, 4:37 PM
Drove past this location this morning, and from what I caught glimpses of, they have a really deep hole dug, and support walls poured and reinfroced with rebar around the outside of the foundation. The hole looks like it's at least 3 levels below grade at the moment...

Skipper
Aug 17, 2009, 10:05 PM
does anyone know whether this project has been postponed or is currently on hold? There doesn't seem to be much activity on this site. We look forward to having this great new building on Richmond Road, along with the 3 phases of Westboro Station. Hopefully this will lead to new restaurants on this area of Richmond Road.

Davis137
Aug 18, 2009, 11:11 AM
This location seems to be stalled, don't know why/what for, but as far as I've seen, it's not been cancelled...yet...

Tor2Ott
Aug 18, 2009, 3:29 PM
I think Charlesfort screwed up with this project, in terms of its choice of location. It's not quite in Westboro, and it has minimal river view. Sales have been subpar as there has been no change for over a year, and the Charlesfort name cannot even save it.

Sane
Aug 19, 2009, 12:28 PM
Do developpers ever cut prices to sell off remaining units? Or throw in incentives such as parking? Or are the only deals to be had "pre-build"?

deva
Sep 5, 2009, 8:43 PM
I just cycled past the site and saw the crane going up.

waterloowarrior
Nov 17, 2009, 8:07 PM
No pics since April! Anyone want to go by the site and take a picture of what's happening over there?

Citizen 4829
Nov 22, 2009, 9:21 PM
I think Charlesfort screwed up with this project, in terms of its choice of location. It's not quite in Westboro, and it has minimal river view. Sales have been subpar as there has been no change for over a year, and the Charlesfort name cannot even save it.

The official municipal address for The Continental is 75 Cleary AVE and it is an excellent location. Just a twelve minute walk to downtown Westboro, eleven minute walk to the Carlingwood Mall, five minute bike ride to Kitchissippi Beach, twelve minute bike ride to Parkdale Market and a thirty second walk to the best bike and jogging paths in The National Capital Area. It is 66% sold out NOW with first occupancy scheduled for Sept-Oct, 2010. This is a great location for someone who does not want to live in busy downtown Westboro with a Bridgehead coffee shop and Mountain Equipment Coop as your immediate neighbours.

Ottawan
Nov 22, 2009, 10:02 PM
The official municipal address for The Continental is 75 Cleary AVE and it is an excellent location. Just a twelve minute walk to downtown Westboro, eleven minute walk to the Carlingwood Mall, five minute bike ride to Kitchissippi Beach, twelve minute bike ride to Parkdale Market and a thirty second walk to unlimited bike and jogging paths. It is 66% sold out NOW with first occupancy scheduled for Sept-Oct, 2010. This is a great location for someone who does not want to live in busy downtown Westboro with a coffee shop and Mountain Equipment Coop as your immediate neighbours.

While I agree that the location has a number of positive elements, what I find most interesting about your post Citizen is the use of the term "Downtown Westboro". That's definately a new one for me.

Davis137
Nov 22, 2009, 10:02 PM
Great to hear that the place has finally made enough pre-sales to continue...

Citizen 4829
Nov 23, 2009, 2:09 AM
While I agree that the location has a number of positive elements, what I find most interesting about your post Citizen is the use of the term "Downtown Westboro". That's definately a new one for me.

This is not rocket science. If you look up Westboro on Wikipedia you will find that it is defined as the area bounded by Island Park, Scott ST (or the Ottawa River), Woodroff and Carling AVE. The Continental is actually in Westboro but not in the 'downtown' section of Westboro. I would say 'downtown' Westboro would probably be the area nearer to... lets' say....Richmond RD between Churchill / Golden AVE. More of the business dictrict of Westboro. Wouldn't you agree with that Ottawan?

Kitchissippi
Nov 23, 2009, 3:38 AM
The business area is referred to as "Westboro Village"

Ottawan
Nov 23, 2009, 3:58 AM
Sorry if I caused any offence, that was not my intention. In my mind a downtown generally has to do with an entire urban area and not a neighbourhood or district (and if we're looking back historically to Westboro Village as part of Nepean Township, already at that time it was adjascent to Hintonburg, which was annexed by the City of Ottawa, and not truly an independant village, therefore I would argue Westboro never even historically had a downtown).

I definately do agree in where you locate what I would call "Central Westboro", "The Heart of Westboro", "Westboro's Business District", "Westboro's Core", or as Kitchissippi says "Westboro Village".

RTWAP
Nov 23, 2009, 3:59 PM
Sorry if I caused any offence, that was not my intention. In my mind a downtown generally has to do with an entire urban area and not a neighbourhood or district (and if we're looking back historically to Westboro Village as part of Nepean Township, already at that time it was adjascent to Hintonburg, which was annexed by the City of Ottawa, and not truly an independant village, therefore I would argue Westboro never even historically had a downtown).

I definately do agree in where you locate what I would call "Central Westboro", "The Heart of Westboro", "Westboro's Business District", "Westboro's Core", or as Kitchissippi says "Westboro Village".

I think the meaning of 'downtown' has blurred a bit in the last few decades to overlap significantly with related terms like 'core' or 'central'. But like many such word blurs in English, the change is not universal.

Somewhat OT, but where does the term 'downtown' come from? It seems like every city has a downtown but do they also have uptowns? Or is it only New York that has an uptown?

Norman Bates
Nov 24, 2009, 12:16 AM
I actually like this project. It's remote enough that you can have some level of privacy and exclusivity. Yet it's also close enough that you're not doing the Queensway when you want to get somewhere. Definitely a place where you would still need a car. Plus the views towards the river are clean and attractive.

I would have bought there, excepting that the unit that would have worked best for me, the Atlantique, was sold out at all but the lowest level before I even heard about the project.

In fact, that's one of the reasons why I'm here so that I can get an inside scoop on things coming up that may fit my needs.

Dado
Nov 24, 2009, 12:52 AM
No pics since April! Anyone want to go by the site and take a picture of what's happening over there?

I walked past a few weeks ago. They still seemed to be engaged in shoring in a few places, but by and large the exterior foundation walls are in place. They've also started to build the interior basement/garage walls.

But that was a few weeks ago.

Davis137
Nov 24, 2009, 8:12 PM
I haven't seen much going on other than the excavation is finished, and that the exterior walls were done on the main foundation...

Citizen 4829
Nov 26, 2009, 1:59 AM
My wife & I recently bought the Victoria model on the 9th floor. It is a corner unit and has SE-S-SW exposure so it should be bright and sunny in the winter. This location was very attractive for us as we did not want to live in the busy, commercialized Westboro village. The building entrance off Cleary AVE will be only a few feet from the NCC paths and trails as well.

Mille Sabords
Nov 26, 2009, 3:32 AM
My wife & I recently bought the Victoria model on the 9th floor. It is a corner unit and has SE-S-SW exposure so it should be bright and sunny in the winter. This location was very attractive for us as we did not want to live in the busy, commercialized Westboro village. The building entrance off Cleary AVE will be only a few feet from the NCC paths and trails as well.

Congratulations, it truly is a classy and gorgeous building. I hope you'll post some pictures of and from the inside of your new home when you take possession. Has the builder said what they were going to do with the retail space on the ground level? Will it be a little store or will they use it as amenity space for the condo?

archie-tect
Nov 26, 2009, 5:20 PM
Has the builder said what they were going to do with the retail space on the ground level? Will it be a little store or will they use it as amenity space for the condo?

Gee...I wonder, it's Charlesfort so its parking, an underused excercise room or a commercial space that's almost too small for anything...but I am not bitter about the Glasgow :)

Mille Sabords
Nov 27, 2009, 1:49 AM
Gee...I wonder, it's Charlesfort so its parking, an underused excercise room or a commercial space that's almost too small for anything...but I am not bitter about the Glasgow :)

One can hope... I mean, some builders DO pick up lessons from one building to the next over the course of a 20-year building career...

Dado
Nov 27, 2009, 3:48 AM
FWIW, on the other side of Cleary there is a strip mall with a number of fairly stable businesses (including a Polish deli); that strip mall itself is slated to become a slightly shorter condo so there may be an opportunity for some of those businesses to move over.

Radster
Nov 27, 2009, 8:25 PM
FWIW, on the other side of Cleary there is a strip mall with a number of fairly stable businesses (including a Polish deli); that strip mall itself is slated to become a slightly shorter condo so there may be an opportunity for some of those businesses to move over.

Speaking of that Polish deli, if anyone is interested in trying authentic Polish pierogis, go that that Polish deli, they have very good ones which they get from Toronto. Try the sauerkraut/mushroom ones, my favourite!

Never, ever get that garbage they sell in groceries stores, those are not real pierogies, trust me, I am Polish and a pierogi expert!

Citizen 4829
Nov 28, 2009, 12:39 AM
Congratulations, it truly is a classy and gorgeous building. I hope you'll post some pictures of and from the inside of your new home when you take possession. Has the builder said what they were going to do with the retail space on the ground level? Will it be a little store or will they use it as amenity space for the condo?

There is only one small space devoted to retail in The Continental and it fronts on Richmond RD. The sales staff at Charlesfort have said that it will be used for a medical/dental or legal office but my guess is it won't be used for that. Quite frankly, that's good in my opinion. This is the residential building we will be living in. There is plenty of commercial space a short walk away in Westboro village. Were not interested in having commercial space mixed in the same building we will be living in, like some of those condo developments in Westboro village.

Citizen 4829
Nov 28, 2009, 12:42 AM

I talked to the owner of that Polish deli last week. He said that strip mall is not being demolished and that The City has denied the developers request for development?

Citizen 4829
Nov 29, 2009, 11:49 AM

I have some pics taken 28/11/2009....not sure how to post ?

RTWAP
Nov 29, 2009, 7:14 PM

Go to imgur.com and upload a picture.

http://imgur.com/4UW77.jpg

Browse to the image location on your local machine and select the picture file.

http://imgur.com/buaUK.jpg

Click Continue.

http://imgur.com/PuHVt.jpg

Right click on the link under 'The Image' (circled in red) and select 'copy link location' or 'copy shortcut'.

Then when creating a post here, just click on the little yellow picture of a mountain (show below with a red circle). In the box that pops up, replace the highlighted text (starting with http://) with the full link you copied from the imgur.com page (which should also start with http://).

http://imgur.com/64UA8.jpg

You should end up with a line in your post something like the following:

http://imgur.com/64UA8.jpg

Citizen 4829
Nov 30, 2009, 1:42 AM

http://imgur.com/1ZpOU.jpg
Looking E on Richmond RD, Polish Deli in background.

http://imgur.com/J0RaR.jpg
Looking W on Richmond RD

Level B parking level complete and Level A parking level roof about to be poured.

333fun555
Dec 1, 2009, 12:08 AM
http://imgur.com/1ZpOU.jpg
Looking E on Richmond RD, Polish Deli in background.

http://imgur.com/J0RaR.jpg
Looking W on Richmond RD

Level B parking level complete and Level A parking level roof about to be poured.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2787/4148142354_7c688f8e13.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2643/4147383439_a55bd82259_o.jpg

There is an easy way to post these pictures......

Davis137
Dec 15, 2009, 12:31 AM
I drove past there this afternoon on my way home from school (I'm on a course in Kanata this week), and I saw that they are going to be at ground level very soon...

reidjr
Dec 19, 2009, 4:54 PM
What is the target year for it to open.

waterloowarrior
Dec 19, 2009, 5:08 PM
http://www.charlesfort.ca/images/home/continental-on.png

Norman Bates
Dec 22, 2009, 1:28 AM
I went by on the Parkway today and saw that they now have a giant-sized crane working the site.

Davis137
Dec 24, 2009, 4:09 PM
It should be able to rise above street level by the end of January I think...

Norman Bates
Dec 25, 2009, 5:59 PM
I just drove by and they're at ground level.

Davis137
Jan 4, 2010, 12:55 PM
Yup, drove past there last night, and they are at ground level...this is cool, as this will be the tallest building between Woodroffe and Golden when it's finished...

harls
Jan 4, 2010, 2:02 PM
If you take a look west along Richmond near MEC, the crane looks like it is standing right in the middle of the road.

Davis137
Jan 7, 2010, 8:45 PM
Yeah, it does actually...lol...

waterloowarrior
Jan 21, 2010, 12:57 AM
Charlesfort's website now is saying "Occupancy 2010-2011" (it previously said "Occupancy 2010")

waterloowarrior
Feb 1, 2010, 1:09 AM
Gary Musson flickr... (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmusson/4310887918/in/set-72157623126770499/) 27 Jan 2010

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4042/4310887918_520741cf7f.jpg

Davis137
Feb 2, 2010, 11:18 AM
Drove by here on the wkd, and it looks like they have some of the ground floor formed/built...

Donald Ed
Feb 18, 2010, 3:07 AM
605 checking in.Starting to look like a great place to live.

Mille Sabords
Feb 18, 2010, 4:04 PM
605 checking in.Starting to look like a great place to live.

Welcome to the forum 605! By the way, 605... can't tell from the builder's website but do you have one of those huge rooftop terraces? If so we expect invitations when you take possession :D and then pictures from your terrace!

:tup:

Cntrtwnr
Mar 8, 2010, 1:15 PM
605 is on the north west corner...so no giant terrace. Rumour has the new move in date as April 2011.....original purchase date when first launched - '07

harls
Mar 9, 2010, 3:15 PM
took a shot of the crane this weekend, from Deschenes rapids in Aylmer

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4054/4419993604_a9b90e19a6_b.jpg

RTWAP
Mar 10, 2010, 2:40 PM
took a shot of the crane this weekend, from Deschenes rapids in Aylmer

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4054/4419993604_a9b90e19a6_b.jpg

Nice shot.

What's the structure in the water?

harls
Mar 10, 2010, 2:57 PM
:previous: it's the ruins of the Ottawa area's first hydro-electric dam. A lot of people don't know about this place.. the water is pretty turbulent around here.

Robert Conroy, an Irish settler, harnessed these rapids in the mid-1800s to run his flour and saw mills. In 1895, Conroy’s sons Robert and William built the region’s first hydro-electric plant here. It powered the Hull Electric Railway, which began service between Ottawa and Aylmer in 1896.

http://www.quebecheritageweb.com/trail/trail_details.aspx?&trailId=15

Davis137
Mar 11, 2010, 1:20 PM
Man, if the water is that rough there now, I wonder how it will be with added spring runoff...I bet the water is moving even faster under the surface...

Davis137
Mar 13, 2010, 3:35 AM
Drove past the Continental today, and I saw that they are already pouring the 5th floor, and getting ready to do the 6th soon too. This building has started going up like crazy compared to when it hit gound level. Will be great to see this building rise, and it's location with views of the Ottawa river, and the parkway will be really good for the people that bought in that building. It was hard to guage how it faced the river, until it went above grade and above the treeline behind it, until now. I think they might be doing at least 1 floor or more per week at the rate they are going now...

citizen4829
Mar 14, 2010, 4:11 PM
Drove past the Continental today, and I saw that they are already pouring the 5th floor, and getting ready to do the 6th soon too. This building has started going up like crazy compared to when it hit gound level. Will be great to see this building rise, and it's location with views of the Ottawa river, and the parkway will be really good for the people that bought in that building. It was hard to guage how it faced the river, until it went above grade and above the treeline behind it, until now. I think they might be doing at least 1 floor or more per week at the rate they are going now...

I agree Davis.....This is a great location. Far enough removed from Westboro village and all the commercial activity there and just a few meters to the bike / jogging trails and parkway greenspace. :tup:

ajldub
Mar 14, 2010, 6:11 PM
Who's going to be the photo hero on this one, boys??

Davis137
Mar 15, 2010, 1:32 AM
It's also in good proximity to Carlingwood, Lincoln Feilds, and Westboro Village...I also love the exterior design on it, and if they use dark coloured exterior finishes, it will look a lot nicer than the older buildings along Richmond.

Radster
Mar 15, 2010, 8:20 PM
:previous: it's the ruins of the Ottawa area's first hydro-electric dam. A lot of people don't know about this place.. the water is pretty turbulent around here.

Robert Conroy, an Irish settler, harnessed these rapids in the mid-1800s to run his flour and saw mills. In 1895, Conroy’s sons Robert and William built the region’s first hydro-electric plant here. It powered the Hull Electric Railway, which began service between Ottawa and Aylmer in 1896.

http://www.quebecheritageweb.com/trail/trail_details.aspx?&trailId=15

I believe this is also a favourite spot for some crazy surfers, who do river surfing there in the summer. There are videos on Youtube, search Ottawa river surfing.

citizen4829
Mar 20, 2010, 10:18 PM
Who's going to be the photo hero on this one, boys??

Here are a few.........<a href="http://imgur.com/Lv2YO.jpg" title="Hosted by imgur.com">http://imgur.com/Lv2YO.jpg</a>
http://i<a href="http://imgur.com/Lv2YO.jpg" title="Hosted by imgur.com">http://imgur.com/Lv2YO.jpg</a>mgur.com/Lv2YO.jpg" title="Hosted by imgur.com">http://imgur.com/Lv2YO.jpg</a>

citizen4829
Mar 20, 2010, 10:39 PM
http://imgur.com/Lv2YO&8hDUt&vDNmslhttp://imgur.com/8hDUt.jpg[QUOTE=citizen4829;4756537]Here's one.........

Davis137
Mar 22, 2010, 2:29 PM
I bet this building is already upto it's 7th or 8th floor now since I last went past there...

citizen4829
Apr 11, 2010, 6:55 PM
http://imgur.com/XUBEf.jpghttp://imgur.com/31lyj.jpg
http://imgur.com/i3U1O.jpghttp://http://imgur.com/QgQQ0.jpg

Just working on the ninth floor and coming along very nicely!!
All photos taken Sunday, April 11, 2009 :-)

ajldub
Apr 11, 2010, 7:57 PM
Thanks for the update, citizen. This puppy should be topped off by summertime.

Davis137
Apr 12, 2010, 3:05 AM
Sweet, last time I was past here, they were only upto the 5th floor...

blackjagger
Apr 12, 2010, 1:05 PM
I am still waiting on how the cladding will look, but the massing and how its built right out to the side walk make me excited to see the finished result. 15 storeys is going to look massive in this location. I'm gald the pushed forward with this project even with all the headaches.

Cheers,
Josh

citizen4829
Apr 12, 2010, 8:54 PM
http://imgur.com/oFt18.jpg

[COLOR="Blue"]Another shot looking NW toward the river.[:tup: /COLOR]

citizen4829
May 25, 2010, 12:29 AM
http://imgur.com/WlnRr.jpghttp://imgur.com/17wFY.jpghttp://imgur.com/lS4OU.jpg

Now working on the fourteenth floor.
Will be capping off in the next week or two...

Pics taken by me on on 22/05/2010.

Ottawan
May 25, 2010, 1:27 AM
Drove by it on the Ottawa River Parkway side this weekend, and it's quite a nice sight from the river side. The views from that building will be beyond spectacular.

Kitchissippi
May 25, 2010, 4:29 AM
Here's a shot I took on the river. Just for fun, I lined it up with the tall building on Carling (?)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/4633767997_33f1d0d6f1_b.jpg

Davis137
May 25, 2010, 4:52 PM
Great shots, and it's great to see the building is close to being topped out...

citizen4829
Jun 9, 2010, 1:12 AM
:cheers: Looking good. Top floor is now in place. What a great building in a spectacular location!

http://imgur.com/8NFun.jpg http://imgur.com/b77pp.jpg

Davis137
Jun 13, 2010, 4:00 AM
It actually looks tall now that it's upto it's top floor...awesome pics!

harls
Jun 13, 2010, 2:41 PM
Here's a shot of it I took yesterday from across the river...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4055/4696412976_fc5cd64bde_b.jpg

Davis137
Jun 13, 2010, 6:40 PM
Wicked shot Harls...can really see how tall this building is now from that perspective...though it's no Metropole, it's still the tallest structure in it's immediate area...

citizen4829
Jun 29, 2010, 12:28 AM
http://imgur.com/CtZmZ.jpg (http://imgur.com/CtZmZ.jpg)

Shot taken on 28/06/2010