PDA

View Full Version : La Tiffani I&II and Riverpath Retirement| 20-25 fl Complete | 8fl U/C

Pages : [1] 2

Cre47
Oct 29, 2007, 7:03 PM
This is another major future project by Cladrige and quite resembling that the current project on Rideau Street, that is currently under preparation for removing the contaminants there.The number of floors is not sure, because some plans show about 25 floors and others 20 so I've put 20-25 floors.

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...M-APR-0217.htm

gatt
Oct 29, 2007, 10:30 PM
it was suppose to be 25 storeys but it's going to be 20.nimby's.

Yroc
Oct 30, 2007, 12:53 AM
Current pics of contruction

http://ca.geocities.com/coryanddeanna@rogers.com/pic4011.jpg

http://ca.geocities.com/coryanddeanna@rogers.com/pic4014.jpg

harls
Nov 6, 2007, 1:02 AM
Rendering - it's a little nicer than the one on Claridge's site:

http://www.claridgehomes.com/s/ottawa/condos/edinburgh/siteplan.html

credit - DCYSA Architects

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2191/1880126581_b5098a98b1_o.jpg

clynnog
Nov 6, 2007, 2:33 AM

Minor point Harls...I believe the architectural firm is known as DCYSM...they are Montreal based with a minor office here in Ottawa. Interesting that 3 of the cars are all blurry and one car is in focus.

harls
Nov 6, 2007, 2:53 AM
Hm, really? I think the 'M' was replaced recently.. could be wrong.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 6, 2007, 3:08 AM
Wow, that new artist's concept of the Edinburgh Common has the exact same colours and layout as Claridge Plaza. Methinks someone got confused during construction... :haha:

waterloowarrior
Nov 6, 2007, 3:09 AM
http://www.dcysa.ca/images/landing/dcysm_logo.jpg (http://www.dcysa.ca/)

Montreal, August 29th. 2007
To our valued colleagues, clients and friends,
The associates at DCYSM Architecture + Design are pleased to announce the re-organization of their firm, designed to best manage the ongoing growth of their practice.
As of October 1, 2007, the following will come into effect:
Alain-Serge Marchandwill operate as Groupe Marchand and Associates Architecture & Design. Alain-Serge will continue to serve his clientele with the help of his team of more than 25 staff members in their existing premises, and with the full support of his current partners. As always, his clients can count on Alain-Serge and his team’s full dedication, talent and expertise to complete all projects currently under his management and those in the future.
Roger Desmarais, André Cousineau, Harry Yaghjian and Bruno St-Jean will see their partnership grow to welcome a number of new associates, and will now operate under the name of DCYSA Architecture + Design. Together with the founding partners, these new associates and their dedicated team will continue to provide their clients with the highest level of professional service that has made them leaders in their field.
We are happy to share this news with you and look forward to continuing to work together in the future.
Roger Desmarais & Alain-Serge Marchand

eemy
Nov 6, 2007, 5:12 AM
Am I the only one who finds this trend to stick these 'crowns' on the top of buildings rather disappointing? It's a rather dissatisfying architectural flourish.

citizen j
Nov 6, 2007, 6:11 AM
^Yes, I'd rather see set-backs or a point tower, or something a little more architecturally integral in the way of ornamentation. I think the proposal for Bank/James is a good example. But give me a building with a crown/party hat over the kind of unadorned box seen in that photo further up the thread. Reminds me of the Pruitt-Igoe housing project, and we all know what came of that.

cityguy
Nov 6, 2007, 12:30 PM
cLARIDGE PROBABLY SAVED MONEY BY PHOTOCOPYING,THR PLANS OF CLARIDGE PLAZA.

clynnog
Nov 6, 2007, 1:12 PM
Hm, really? I think the 'M' was replaced recently.. could be wrong.

Harls...my apologies re DCYSM/DCYSA. I dealt with that firm about 2-3 years ago when they were DCYSM.

harls
Nov 6, 2007, 8:10 PM
^ no problem - it happened fairly recently, anyways.

Ottawade
Jan 8, 2008, 1:21 AM
I went and took a look at the sales center this weekend. The internal layout of the units is pretty bad compared to the Plaza ones, but the price is substantially lower when you factor in everything they throw in.

It kinda got me thinking although its further out of centertown or the market than I'd like to be from one of those higher floors facing the Vanier parkway you probably have a half decent view of downtown Ottawa and the river.

Surrealplaces
Jan 24, 2008, 2:05 AM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2191/1880126581_b5098a98b1_o.jpg

Not bad looking buildings.

AuxTown
Jan 24, 2008, 2:32 AM
I hope those green accents are not the same colour used in Claridge Plaza. That colour leaves a lot to be desired and really doesn't fit in on Rideau. Maybe it will fit in better in the summer once there is more green around.

Mille Sabords
Jan 24, 2008, 5:36 PM
The condo building at Edinburgh Common has been renamed The Lalique (I noticed the new ad this weekend in the paper).

Ottawade - did you happen to count the red dots on the sales board?

Ottawade
Jan 24, 2008, 6:41 PM
I would say about 50% of the town homes were sold. I'm unsure about the "urban flats". I think they literally just got the plans for the condos the weekend i visited because they didn't even give me the prices for the individual units yet, just the min/max. They also had tons of freebies, granite counters, all appliances, free parking space, etc for the earlier buyers and the prices were definitely low. If the unit layouts weren't so bad I might have even considered it, but its a little farther out of the core than I would like to be.

To more directly answer your question I would say very few units were sold.

Mille Sabords
Jan 24, 2008, 7:43 PM
I would say about 50% of the town homes were sold. I'm unsure about the "urban flats". I think they literally just got the plans for the condos the weekend i visited because they didn't even give me the prices for the individual units yet, just the min/max. They also had tons of freebies, granite counters, all appliances, free parking space, etc for the earlier buyers and the prices were definitely low. If the unit layouts weren't so bad I might have even considered it, but its a little farther out of the core than I would like to be.

To more directly answer your question I would say very few units were sold.

Thanks. That is one site where Claridge badly misread the market. They would've been better off covering more of the site with stacked towns, leaving no green space, and doing away with the towers. There's enough green space next to the water anyway. I've headr that the second tower will be a rental - makes you wanna buy one of their condos even more, doesn't it? (I'm being ironic here - but most of the Mr. & Mrs. Buyer out there would definitely wince at buying next to a rental - believe you me)

Ottawade
Jan 24, 2008, 9:17 PM
Ya, its funny everything is just off the mark by a tiny amount, but those tiny amounts compound into a giant "meh".

Location is just a step further out of the core than desired for a tower, the floorplans are kinda weird, the common space especially and as the squarefootage rises within a category the majority of the space ends up being used for hallways and other useless space. It's got a nice view (at least facing the parkway) and good greenspace, but out your front door is vanier which has little appeal. Transpo is kinda meh. Too bad the price is right.

Your right tho. I would probably townhouse if I had the money. They start at 306k and have much nicer layouts.

gringos
Apr 15, 2008, 1:48 AM
Lalique? What were they thinking? Who would name a condo building after anything that remotely sounds like LEAK? BC condos, anyone?

Funny they would choose a french name though, seeing that they completely ignore the Vanier location they are in. Not a word of french, written or spoken in their sales centre.

A more appropriate name would have been "La Toxique" considering the history of the site as a toxic waste dump.

And did you get a load of the floorplans named after Canadian Prime Ministers? They even sank to naming one after Harper. Claridge really has no clue.

waterloowarrior
Apr 15, 2008, 1:51 AM
^welcome to the forum! funny post :D

Cre47
Apr 15, 2008, 1:53 AM
^welcome to the forum! funny post :D

:haha:

Anyways, summer is "near", so I may check in that area soon to see how things are going there. Although, not sure if they will start construction this year.

c_speed3108
Apr 15, 2008, 12:35 PM
The floorplans are actually really nice. Much better than much of what is getting built in this city.

Why the hell would they name them after PM's????? :koko:

gringos
Apr 15, 2008, 6:07 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the look of the La Leak, but there is nothing 'common' about this supposed 'master planned' community. I mean what does this have in common with the La Leak :

http://www.claridgehomes.com/s/ottawa/condos/edinburgh/img/floorplans/TownhousefinalApr4-FD.jpg

Nothing! It looks like something they built in Kanata twenty years ago. Same goes for the rowhouses, which look like they were copy and pasted from a previous development :

http://www.claridgehomes.com/s/ottawa/condos/edinburgh/img/floorplans/Navarra-I.jpg

And help me out here, I live nearby, but have never seen this 'feature' shown in the top part of the following photo montage:

http://www.claridgehomes.com/s/ottawa/condos/edinburgh/img/content/images_features.jpg

Is Claridge planning on building a dock on the Rideau River ?

Acajack
Apr 15, 2008, 7:36 PM
Sounds illegal to me!

Kitchissippi
Apr 15, 2008, 8:24 PM
Lalique? What were they thinking? Who would name a condo building after anything that remotely sounds like LEAK?

But then again, we have a car dealership called Kanata Ford.

Salesman: Would you like to buy this car?

Customer: No, I Kanata Ford it.

kwoldtimer
Apr 30, 2008, 2:00 AM
The floorplans are actually really nice. Much better than much of what is getting built in this city.

Why the hell would they name them after PM's????? :koko:

That was my impression too. I could see being in a nice west facing unit with a great view of the Rideau and downtown. Beechwood is a nice area too. The townhouses are not to my taste, but how do the towers shape up, compared to some of the other big condos going up? The prices seem considerably lower than downtown and west-end too. Still seems sales are slow, though. What's the deal?:shrug:

c_speed3108
Apr 30, 2008, 2:35 AM

adam-machiavelli
Apr 30, 2008, 5:07 AM
That's a very arrogant statement to make. It's pretty cruel to suggest that you'd destroy a whole neighbourhood just because poor people live there. There's much more subtle forces that do the same job...like gentrification.

c_speed3108
Apr 30, 2008, 12:42 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound arrogant :-( ...I guess that is what happens when I am tried from working late. whoops. :ahhh: Yikes that really came off the wrong way!

That post came out terribly wrong so I am going to delete it and try again....

Destroy a whole neighbourhood....not required, but some new buildings along Montreal Road with some decent apartments above for instance would spruce the place up. Replace some of the old ruin down stuff. Give the neighbourhood some dignity. Tear down the crack houses. Make it family friendly - the way it used to be. Use some space to build some of the things like a home improvement store which at are presently only found way out in the ‘burbs. You begin to create a nice urban area. It has lots of single family homes - but none of these zillion square feet things that cost too much to heat. Most of them are in reasonable condition.

The problem is when you have an area like it that gets to the point that people lving there are treated as complete sorta outcasts in a sense. They never gets anything new - it is too hard to justify. The place becomes a burden rather than an asset...and the people are treated as such. It is one reason it gets left out of so many things like the new transit plan. There is a disproportionately low number of commuters in that part of the city- so they lose out - again. I actually know people that do their morning commute from the east end on the 2 bus since it hardly picks anyone up in that area so you get downtown quick. The same trick does not work in the afternoon.

The other problem when a certain area get too high in the number of rental properties is it tends to get a really run down feel to it. Most people – rich, poor, doesn’t matter – do not care for rental properties the way they do a place they own. They don’t have that sense of self pride.

Don’t forget Westboro was a slum not so long ago – as was Hintonburg. The long time residents have benefited the most.

I hate the use of poor as a modifier on people. Poor is an economic state not a type of person. People are not doomed to be "poor" their entire life...or at least they shouldn't be. The trick is to help people locate economic opportunities available to them and get them what they need - be it education, money to start to a business, tools to perform a trade, even encouragement - to take full advantage of economic opportunities available. We do have plenty of opportunities but the trick for society is getting people matched to them....that is what we are presently horrible at.

Aylmer
Apr 30, 2008, 4:11 PM
WELCOME TO SSP! GRINGOS!!!!

:banana: :worship: :omg: :jester: :5: :drunk: :righton: :dancing: :thrasher: :upload_71700: :banaride: :angel: :thankyouthankyou: :grouphug: :apple: :cucumber:

:)

c_speed3108
Jul 28, 2008, 3:56 PM
Supposedly, according to Claridge's weekly ad in the citizen, this thing is under construction.....

I have not been around that area in ages.

Renaissance Dandy
Aug 10, 2008, 9:57 PM
Was in the presentation centre yesterday. They say that they've started excavation. There are a healthy number of red dots on the big board, 60-70% of units I would guess. July 2010 is the target date for opening. It's an appealing project in a lot of ways.

c_speed3108
Aug 11, 2008, 3:55 PM
This is excellent news. I am thrilled that there is getting to interest in this part of the city. It's time has come.

It has the river right there. It is right beside Rockcliffe and New Ed. It is also much close to downtown than areas like Westboro that have become so popular.

peter_w
Aug 14, 2008, 8:23 PM
I bought my "Barcelona 2 End-Unit" townhouse at 345K. I visited Claridge's office today. The same unit is now going for 408K!!!???

What's up with that price increase?

Deez
Aug 25, 2008, 5:13 PM
Update:

Excavation for Tower
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Reersmeer/DSCN2822.jpg

Townhouses u/c
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Reersmeer/DSCN2824.jpg

peter_w
Aug 28, 2008, 4:24 AM
[QUOTE=Deez;3757361]Update:

Excavation for Tower

Townhouses u/c
/QUOTE]

Wow... time for me to visit the site...

thanks for the pix..

Uncle Ned
Sep 4, 2008, 8:09 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound arrogant :-( ...I guess that is what happens when I am tried from working late. whoops. :ahhh: Yikes that really came off the wrong way!

That post came out terribly wrong so I am going to delete it and try again....

Destroy a whole neighbourhood....not required, but some new buildings along Montreal Road with some decent apartments above for instance would spruce the place up. Replace some of the old ruin down stuff. Give the neighbourhood some dignity. Tear down the crack houses. Make it family friendly - the way it used to be. Use some space to build some of the things like a home improvement store which at are presently only found way out in the ‘burbs. You begin to create a nice urban area. It has lots of single family homes - but none of these zillion square feet things that cost too much to heat. Most of them are in reasonable condition.

Let me respond to some of these as a Vanier resident. We moved here about five years, bought a small house on a pleasant street and continue to be happy with our choice. First, it's a mixed community: there are crack-house streets and there are streets that have loads of "dignity". Its an urban environment, close to urban amenities. We can walk to a Home Hardware (Beechwood) & to a Cdn Tire (Coventry). We chose to live here because its close to the core, affordable and there is plenty of greenspace, too. Its quirky not cookie-cutter. We like that.

The problem is when you have an area like it that gets to the point that people lving there are treated as complete sorta outcasts in a sense. They never gets anything new - it is too hard to justify. The place becomes a burden rather than an asset...and the people are treated as such. It is one reason it gets left out of so many things like the new transit plan. There is a disproportionately low number of commuters in that part of the city- so they lose out - again. I actually know people that do their morning commute from the east end on the 2 bus since it hardly picks anyone up in that area so you get downtown quick. The same trick does not work in the afternoon.

Ok, I took the 2 to work downtown for 3 years. Its neither fast nor empty in the morning during rush hour. By the time it got to Vanier, there was never any chance of getting a seat and by the time you got towards the bridge, a very good chance of not getting on at all.

We're very fortunate that we can afford to live in many parts of the city but we consciously chose Vanier. The money we saved on the purchase price on our house allows to us to live comfortably, yet we never feel we compromised disposable income for our safety or comfort.

I'm ambivalent about the Claridge project from 2 perspectives. [There are other infill projects that are more promising, including the school conversion into condos on St. Denis.] The first is aesthetic (not a great design). The second is the impact on traffic. The two intersections with the parkway at Montreal Road and at St Patrick are already problematic and will only get worse. At some point, too, the Rockcliffe air base is going to be developed and that, absent any traffic/public transportation planning at all, will make the whole zone a mess.

Mille Sabords
Jan 19, 2009, 3:02 PM
Tower almost to ground level:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Ottawa/Janvier2009009.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Ottawa/Janvier2009010.jpg

This whole site is an insult to urbanity. It perpetrates the worst type of suburban infection at a location that had a real shot at being an actual part of the neighbourhood, just steps from water. What a waste.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Ottawa/Janvier2009012.jpg

Davis137
Jan 19, 2009, 4:02 PM
I think this must be the other crane that I can see off in the distance when looking out of the windows at NDHQ...

Mille Sabords
Feb 11, 2009, 8:11 PM
Anyone notice that they changed the name of the condo again? First it was Edinburgh Common, then "Lalique"... and now according to their ads in the paper it's "La Tiffani"..

I guess "La Leak" wasn't all that good a name...

AuxTown
Feb 12, 2009, 12:06 AM
When I hear "Lalique" all I can think of is:

http://www.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/archives/wtreno-flood-0308.jpg

Probably not the best choice of condo names.

"La Tiffani" on the other hand, now that's a real winner.

http://www.homotron.net/images/homotron/tiffany.jpg

waterloowarrior
Feb 12, 2009, 12:08 AM
Is that first picture from Claridge Plaza? :D

waterloowarrior
Mar 7, 2009, 4:13 PM
Fire destroys townhome under construction

THE OTTAWA CITIZENMARCH 7, 2009 11:01 AM

A fire early Saturday destroyed a townhouse under construction in Vanier and damaged the two adjoining units.

The blaze in the new Edinburgh Common development, just off the Vanier Parkway, caused an estimated $500,000 damage to the three units, said District Chief Lyle Fraser of the Ottawa Fire Department. No one was hurt.

The blaze was called in at 4:22 a.m. and, given that none of the units are yet occupied, “the timing isn’t good,” Fraser said.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

kwoldtimer
Mar 7, 2009, 4:35 PM
Fire destroys townhome under construction

THE OTTAWA CITIZENMARCH 7, 2009 11:01 AM

A fire early Saturday destroyed a townhouse under construction in Vanier and damaged the two adjoining units.

The blaze in the new Edinburgh Common development, just off the Vanier Parkway, caused an estimated $500,000 damage to the three units, said District Chief Lyle Fraser of the Ottawa Fire Department. No one was hurt.

The blaze was called in at 4:22 a.m. and, given that none of the units are yet occupied, “the timing isn’t good,” Fraser said.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

So it would be better timing if the townhouse had been occupied before it burnt down? Chief Fraser, we need to talk! :shrug:

waterloowarrior
Mar 7, 2009, 4:40 PM
So it would be better timing if the townhouse had been occupied before it burnt down? Chief Fraser, we need to talk! :shrug:

hahaha... I read it the same way at first!

eemy
Mar 7, 2009, 7:53 PM
Does he mean that he thinks it was arson? I'm not sure how to interpret that.

rocketphish
Mar 18, 2009, 6:23 PM
I see that we don't have a siteplan up here yet, so here it is:

http://www.claridgehomes.com/s/ottawa/condos/edinburgh/img/content/large_siteplan.jpg

kwoldtimer
Mar 18, 2009, 11:14 PM
Cement for the first tower (Lalique) is now above grade and the first street of townhouses looks nearly ready for occupancy (well, maybe not the ones that burned down ....). I am thinking that this is going to give a real boost to Beechwood Village, which is already a fairly decent commercial strip.

waterloowarrior
Apr 1, 2009, 6:39 AM
southfacing

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3598/3393806432_b1131afdf8.jpg?v=0
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/3393806432/

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3557/3404763653_12f2963230.jpg?v=0
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/3404763653/

waterloowarrior
Apr 3, 2009, 9:29 PM
they changed the website so it's now 'La Tiffani'

http://www.claridgehomes.com/s/ottawa/condos/latiffani/

Acajack
Apr 9, 2009, 2:26 PM
I read in Le Droit this morning that one of the streets in the Edinburgh Common development has been named “Madeleine Meilleur Private".

This surprised me for two reasons.

First, I thought that you couldn’t name something for a living person. Especially not a street. I guess this may only be the rule in Quebec (and most other places in the world I believe), but not in Ontario?

Secondly, Edinburgh Common has been unanimously slammed from the beginning by francophone activists (which Ms. Meilleur is noted for being, in addition to being Minister for Francophone Affairs) for “hiding” the fact that it’s in Vanier by riding on the New Edinburgh and Beechwood images, and for English-only signage, Web sites and documentation...

BTW, does anyone know of cities other than Ottawa that have streets with the “Private” generic suffix that is equivalent to “Avenue”, “Road”, etc.?

eemy
Apr 9, 2009, 3:45 PM
Well, the airport in Anchorage is named after Ted Stevens, who is still alive, so this would appear to be done in the US as well.

Acajack
Apr 9, 2009, 4:09 PM
Well, the airport in Anchorage is named after Ted Stevens, who is still alive, so this would appear to be done in the US as well.

Thanks. I know it’s not a hard and fast rule, and that it’s rather flimsily applied.

International conventions (including those from the UN) on toponymy do advise against naming stuff for living people, but how this is enforced from place to place is pretty much a hodge-podge I guess.

Mille Sabords
Apr 9, 2009, 6:31 PM
I read in Le Droit this morning that one of the streets in the Edinburgh Common development has been named “Madeleine Meilleur Private".

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Vomit_7L6JUI.gif

(this is fitting for my 1,500th post!)

harls
Apr 9, 2009, 6:51 PM
BTW, does anyone know of cities other than Ottawa that have streets with the “Private” generic suffix that is equivalent to “Avenue”, “Road”, etc.?

After a fruitless google search, I'm inclined to say that Ottawa is alone on this one.

There must be some other places that use it.. no? Sounds sort of British to me.

Acajack
Apr 9, 2009, 7:30 PM
After a fruitless google search, I'm inclined to say that Ottawa is alone on this one.

Never seen it ("Private") elsewhere.

This makes me think that Toronto does have some weird street names as well that sound like ”Coach Liteway” or “Sierra Greenway” or “Bridle Vistaway”, and are spelled exactly the way I wrote them.

m0nkyman
Apr 9, 2009, 8:28 PM

Is it only used for privately owned roads?

harls
Apr 9, 2009, 8:33 PM
^I have seen roads in Chelsea with "chemin privée" on the signs, but they are usually subscript written under "Ch. Whatever".

I don't think these Ottawa streets are necessarily 'private'.

kwoldtimer
Apr 10, 2009, 1:18 AM
^.....

I don't think these Ottawa streets are necessarily 'private'.

The "Privates" (Georgeton, Anjou, Jardin, etc) in Domicile's "Manor Park East" development are in fact private (though ungated). They are part of the common areas surrounding the freehold homes in the development (the homes themselves have small yards that are part of the freehold). Domicile purchased the entire site, including the roadways. The residents are responsible for maintenance, cleaning, snowploughing etc. The cost (weep, condo dwellers!) is $38 per month. :cheers: Unlike new suburbs, however, mail is delivered to the door, rather than to common post boxes. All in all, a nice arrangement.

Acajack
Apr 10, 2009, 3:44 AM
The "Privates" (Georgeton, Anjou, Jardin, etc) in Domicile's "Manor Park East" development are in fact private (though ungated). They are part of the common areas surrounding the freehold homes in the development (the homes themselves have small yards that are part of the freehold). Domicile purchased the entire site, including the roadways. The residents are responsible for maintenance, cleaning, snowploughing etc. The cost (weep, condo dwellers!) is $38 per month. :cheers: Unlike new suburbs, however, mail is delivered to the door, rather than to common post boxes. All in all, a nice arrangement.

This is what I thought the private streets were all about as well. I think the private roads in Chelsea are like this as well, with residents responsible for maintenance and snow clearing.

I think there are some like this in Wakefield (La Pêche) as well. I know a guy who lives on one of them and his share of the road's snow clearing bill for the winter was something like $800 (!), and that doesn`t even include his own laneway.

Mille Sabords
May 6, 2009, 1:58 AM
Here are some pictures I took yesterday while in the neighbourhood. The tower has soared past its tenth floor and cladding has begun:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Condos/Mai2009014.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Condos/Mai2009013.jpg

This will be a brutal little piece of streetscape:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Condos/Mai2009011.jpg

From a distance, though, there are some eye-pleasing (though certainly not eye-watering) views starting to take shape:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Condos/Mai2009009.jpg

I can think of a few more angles from which this tower will become a new fixture on the Vanier skyline, but couldn't snap them - next time!

Davis137
May 10, 2009, 2:25 AM
Good Pics Mille

waterloowarrior
May 27, 2009, 12:02 AM
southfacing http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/3568628542/
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2426/3568628542_d42c05378f.jpg

Deez
Jun 22, 2009, 2:57 AM
this puppydog is now topped out. i'll take some pics eventually.

gringos
Jun 24, 2009, 2:07 AM
Anyone notice that they changed the name of the condo again? First it was Edinburgh Common, then "Lalique"... and now according to their ads in the paper it's "La Tiffani"..

I guess "La Leak" wasn't all that good a name...

Lalique isn't a good name when you don't bother to contact the copyright owner (www.lalique.com) and ask them if it's alright to use their name and imagery to sell your condos.

Hence, the purposeful mispelling of the new name. I guess they didn't like our spelling variation of "La Leak".

Deez
Jul 13, 2009, 3:13 AM
from this afternoon (by me):

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Reersmeer/IMG_1784.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Reersmeer/IMG_1785.jpg

shingles? does anyone know if they're real?

AuxTown
Jul 13, 2009, 4:33 AM
Lots of brick, looks good!

Yroc
Jul 13, 2009, 6:51 PM
The view from Strathcona Park (taken by me yesterday)

http://ca.geocities.com/coryanddeanna@rogers.com/008.JPG

Davis137
Jul 14, 2009, 1:58 AM
What's funny about Ottawa, is that there are so many low-rise/stubby buildings around, that anything that's over 15-20 storeys actually looks kinda tall...

waterloowarrior
Jul 21, 2009, 10:12 PM
from the Cummings Bridge
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2584/3743526795_8054e45b5f_b.jpg

Bonus Vanier Skyline shot...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3518/3743529047_aff539c3aa_b.jpg

harls
Jul 21, 2009, 11:09 PM
Another cool vantage point for this place is at the roundabout at St Joseph/Allumettières in Hull. I'd take a pic from there if I ever found the time.

harls
Jul 28, 2009, 6:08 PM
You can just see the building poking out on the top left behind East Market.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2624/3765660025_0c57961a2d_b.jpg

ajldub
Jul 28, 2009, 7:20 PM
Please don't ever leave us again, Harls... I don't know what would become of the rest of us...

kwoldtimer
Jul 29, 2009, 12:43 AM
I will reserve judgement until I see the finished exterior, but this condo is starting to look incredibly .... beige, even for Ottawa. Two of them together may be a bit hard to take. Maybe other exterior finishes will liven it up a bit.

Kitchissippi
Jul 29, 2009, 1:09 AM
Nah, it looks like it will get the same teal green glass as the Claridge Plaza. This building could have been sharp with black glass and tinted windows. Beige and black would remind me of a pint of Guinness, and I would welcome two of those anytime.

I'd la-lick my lips
http://www.seattlemet.com/image_cache/assets/0001/5415/guinness-is-good-for-you.jpg

waterloowarrior
Aug 13, 2009, 3:30 AM
photo by southfacing... (bottom left) http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/3809658425/
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3531/3809658425_b054c106d3.jpg

Mille Sabords
Aug 22, 2009, 12:15 AM
Photo by me from Strathcona Park this evening:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Condos/Aot20091020.jpg

Proof Sheet
Aug 22, 2009, 12:05 PM
Photo by me from Strathcona Park this evening:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/CortinaFan/Condos/Aot20091020.jpg

That townhouse development in the foreground on the left is an interesting little development.

waterloowarrior
Sep 12, 2009, 2:37 PM
Ad for LaTiffani 2 in the Citizen today

and on
http://www.claridgehomes.com/Coming%20Soon/index.html
http://www.claridgehomes.com/images/logos/condos/laTiffani2.png

Senators1
Sep 30, 2009, 8:14 PM
Hey guys,

I've been lurking here for a while and had a question. I was informed that the "La Tiffani 2" condo building will open up for sale this weekend and was curious as to what your thoughts were on the location and the potential future value of buying in the area (New Edinburgh / Vanier)? I'm looking into a 1 + Den and I like New Edinburgh, but it's kind of right on the outskirts of it and some people would not necessarily consider these building to be "in" New Edinburgh.

Anyways, I understand that some of you are not fond of Claridge, so I'm not really looking for a response regarding the builder but more as to whether it would be a good investment to buy there? I would ideally move in the place once it's done, but who knows where I"ll be in two - three years from now when the building is actually built...

I've learnt a lot from this board and look forward to reading your thoughts!

Cheers!

AuxTown
Oct 1, 2009, 12:53 AM
I feel like anything new inside the Greenbelt is a reasonably good investment. Being very close to the Rideau River and its pathway system will be a huge plus as well. It may not be as sure an investment as downtown/Glebe/Westboro etc. but I think it's a safe bet.

kwoldtimer
Oct 3, 2009, 8:39 PM
Hey guys,

I've been lurking here for a while and had a question. I was informed that the "La Tiffani 2" condo building will open up for sale this weekend and was curious as to what your thoughts were on the location and the potential future value of buying in the area (New Edinburgh / Vanier)? I'm looking into a 1 + Den and I like New Edinburgh, but it's kind of right on the outskirts of it and some people would not necessarily consider these building to be "in" New Edinburgh.

Anyways, I understand that some of you are not fond of Claridge, so I'm not really looking for a response regarding the builder but more as to whether it would be a good investment to buy there? I would ideally move in the place once it's done, but who knows where I"ll be in two - three years from now when the building is actually built...

I've learnt a lot from this board and look forward to reading your thoughts!

Cheers!

I find the location to be excellent, especially if "your Ottawa" is the Market and points east. There is good shopping/pubs/restaurants, etc nearby and the transit links are great as is road access to pretty well everything. The prices in the condo towers surprised me as I thought there might be more of a difference between them and comparable projects downtown than seems to be the case.

There is no way this project is in New Edinburgh, however. It is in Vanier (the neighbourhood that dare not speak its name in real estate development circles, it would seem). Perhaps a compromise would be to label it as part of "Beechwood Village".:rolleyes:

Senators1
Nov 14, 2009, 5:36 AM
I just put in an offer in the second tower of La Tiffani and was curious if removing the bathtub and replacing it with a stand up shower would lower the value of the condo? I'm considering to either have a full sized stand up shower (from wall to wall) or going 3/4 length and using the other 1/4 as a linen closet....

waterloowarrior
Nov 17, 2009, 8:40 PM
by southfacing, Oct 25
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575605@N08/4047401205/
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3490/4047401205_f66423e398.jpg

Kitchissippi
Nov 17, 2009, 9:15 PM
I just put in an offer in the second tower of La Tiffani and was curious if removing the bathtub and replacing it with a stand up shower would lower the value of the condo? I'm considering to either have a full sized stand up shower (from wall to wall) or going 3/4 length and using the other 1/4 as a linen closet....

It depends. If it one of those prefab showers, then a tub would have better resale value. If it is one of those well done walk in tiled showers with glass walls, it could have better appeal than a basic tub and shower.

If you opt for a shower stall, get a lower spout installed. In a condo, a tub is sometimes the only place to fill up a bucket or wash some odd things, and having a spout will give you the same flexibility.

I've seen some badly laid out bathrooms, and one of my pet peeves are tubs that are positioned so that when you are soaking your head is right next the toilet bowl. If I had to settle for a layout like that, I'd go for the shower stall instead.

ServiceGuy
Dec 12, 2009, 2:24 PM
I haven't seen it myself yet but what I'm hearing from some of the trades involved is that finishing quality of workmanship is quite good and especially the drywall. Many different companies involved than what Claridge typically uses with a good site super. La Tiffani I is about 4 months ahead of schedule so expect phone calls to move up closing dates if you've bought in this building.

ServiceGuy
Jan 25, 2010, 11:46 PM
The roof over-hang thingie on the South_West corner still needs to be completed and common elements on the lower floors are just starting to take shape but they have started taking down the construction hoist today, 2 of 3 elevators have been certified, and the first few floors have had most of their finish installs done. Had the chance to poke around a bit today and was quite impressed with how the site is being managed. Not a fancy building by any stretch but things like a double wide ramp between parking levels, common element washrooms just off the front lobby, a loading dock, a very large "party room", and great views of the Rideau River (and all it's retirement homes) certainly stand out. The La Tiffani will not be the hot investment flipper that the Plaza is but for someone who wants to live in this area of town with easy access to downtown... not bad at all.

c_speed3108
Apr 11, 2010, 2:17 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2078/4510415249_91ae17eab0_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2179/4511057096_a4afbe91cf_b.jpg

(pics by me)

ServiceGuy
Jun 5, 2010, 12:36 AM
Roof detail completed, paving completed, landscaping completed, occupancy on 19 of 20 floors. This project should be updated to "completed" IMO.

Ottawan
Jun 5, 2010, 12:45 AM
:previous:

My understanding is that this thread deals with both towers and the townhomes, in which case the project is far from complete.

Uhuniau
Jun 7, 2010, 5:00 PM
I feel like anything new inside the Greenbelt is a reasonably good investment. Being very close to the Rideau River and its pathway system will be a huge plus as well. It may not be as sure an investment as downtown/Glebe/Westboro etc. but I think it's a safe bet.

Maybe not as sure, but at least as far as Vanier is concerned, I think the percentage return would be higher, since the buy-in price is lower (for now).

Some of the best-kept residential secrets in the city are in Vanier. Shhhhhh...

waterloowarrior
Jul 5, 2010, 3:57 PM
the 'crown' is up at the top corner of the building

20 June 2010 by Janusz ZL @ flickr
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1256/4720168555_be8b953983_z.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19900502/4720168555/sizes/l/in/photostream/

waterloowarrior
Aug 15, 2010, 5:36 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4894703710_d65456ec9f_z.jpg
14 August 2010 by me

ServiceGuy
Aug 15, 2010, 6:55 PM
Tower 2 should get started sometime in February / March with the retirement residence planned for the same site not far behind.

concrete06
Aug 15, 2010, 6:57 PM
Some up-close photos. Taken early August 2010 by me

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/sci99/Brownfield/IMG_2685.jpg

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/sci99/Brownfield/IMG_2684.jpg

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/sci99/Brownfield/IMG_2679.jpg

DarkArconio
Aug 16, 2010, 2:04 AM
Is it just me, or does the tower in a couple of those shots look just like a render photoshopped in? :P

ServiceGuy
Jan 14, 2011, 11:52 PM
Seems Tiffani II is also underway. Construction fences are up with staff and heavy equipment on site.

shyu13
Feb 3, 2011, 3:47 PM
Right next to the two towers, there will be a 10-storey retirement home being built. Is that true? How would that affect the property value of the two towers given that you are high enough and your view is only partially blocked?