PDA

View Full Version : General Update/Rumour thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

AuxTown
Oct 30, 2011, 4:45 PM
Precisely. I was thinking about Bank and Laurier's 'focal point.'

Best dogs in the city!

Jamaican-Phoenix
Oct 30, 2011, 8:13 PM
Precisely. I was thinking about Bank and Laurier's 'focal point.'

that area holds so much potential. It could become Ottawa's version of Dundas Square/Times Square.

kevinbottawa
Oct 31, 2011, 12:21 AM
that area holds so much potential. It could become Ottawa's version of Dundas Square/Times Square.

I thought the same thing when I first moved here from T.O.

Ottawan
Oct 31, 2011, 1:58 PM

I suppose it would be fitting that our Times Square is essentially the lobby for two Shoppers Drug Mart affiliated stores.

RTWAP
Nov 1, 2011, 5:28 PM
That's almost funny!

Yeah, the municipality that bitched about its old downtown being annexed by Ottawa, and then spent decades allowing sprawl, sprawl, sprawl. "Centrepointe" wasn't, and still isn't, much of a centre, nor does it have much of a point!

It's also a bland, generic name that recurs in a number of other English-speaking North American cities.

I'm not sure why you're now attacking land planning policies from decades ago, but it's certainly off-topic.

The point is, they named the new development with a term that described what they were trying to accomplish. If they had named it 'Fairfield' or 'Woodlawn' or something similarly devoid of deeper meaning then you would have a point.

kevinbottawa
Nov 6, 2011, 4:58 AM
I remember someone on this forum saying that Dworkin Furs finally sold their land to Phoenix Homes. I guess it's true. If it is Phoenix it's a shame that the lower quality builders are buying the most important real estate.

Landmark Ottawa retailer Dworkin Furs set to close doors

By Kristy Nease, The Ottawa Citizen

November 5, 2011 10:05 PM

After 110 years of business in Ottawa, despite changing hands and the tumultuous ebb and flow of fur popularity, the Rideau Street landmark Dworkin Furs is closing its doors for good.

An advertisement in Saturday’s Citizen announced a going-out-of-business sale but didn’t say exactly when the store was expected to close. The shop’s website didn’t say, either.

The announcement marks the beginning of the final chapter for the retailer with a long Ottawa history.

When Abraham Dworkin first moved his family into the red-brick Victorian building on Rideau Street in 1901, he ran a tailor shop out of the basement before starting to make and sell fur coats.

Roy Saipe, Dworkin’s son-in-law, joined the business in the 1930s and quickly transformed it into one of Canada’s largest fur outlets.

Dworkin remained a family-run enterprise until 1969, when John Toth bought the business from Saipe. Toth ran it for years with his daughter, Barbara Toth, and Saipe stayed on for the first six years for training.

Before the purchase, Toth had worked at a large Montreal fur manufacturer that supplied furs to Dworkin, and over time he had developed a close relationship Saipe. When Saipe decided he wanted to sell the business, he convinced Toth to take over the Ottawa store.

When the shop celebrated its centennial in 2001, Toth told the Citizen that the retail fur industry had seen a number of ups and downs, including a boom in the 1970s, then a recession in the early 1990s.

“Then there was the backlash against furs, which started in Europe, and it was stronger there than it was here,” Toth said at the time. “It certainly hurt us, but sales have rebounded in recent years.”

Montreal restaurateur and Global Furs Inc. owner Tom Nacos took over two Ottawa fur shops, Dworkin and Burkholder Furs, in November that same year. (Burkholder had been in business for 92 years when Nacos closed it down in 2003.)

Nacos is out of the country and wasn’t available for comment on Saturday night, his son Christopher said.

knease@ottawacitizen.com

twitter.com/kristynease

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Landmark+Ottawa+retailer+Dworkin+Furs+close+doors/5664516/story.html#ixzz1ctUeXLbm

Nepean
Nov 6, 2011, 1:21 PM
I remember someone on this forum saying that Dworkin Furs finally sold their land to Phoenix Homes. I guess it's true. If it is Phoenix it's a shame that the lower quality builders are buying the most important real estate.

Does anyone know for sure if Phoenix bought this property? Reason I ask is because this site seems like an obvious location for Claridge Plaza phases 5 and 6. When I read this story in the Citizen my first thought was that Claridge must have been behind this development, but this is only speculation on my part, so if anyone has any more info I am all ears.

Ottawan
Nov 6, 2011, 2:19 PM
I really hope a heritage designation has been slapped on that building. I think the parking lots surrounding the Dwarkin building are overripe for development, but the house itself is a landmark, and should be preserved on its own, or else incorporated, as is being done for 150 Elgin. Worst-case scenario the facade should be kept, Central-style.

S-Man
Nov 6, 2011, 2:59 PM
I heard Phoenix, and quite some time ago.

Given the uniqueness of this site, it will be interesting to see how the city/developer proceeds with this site. As it is now, the Dworkin house stands all alone surrounded by high rises, sitting on very valuable property.

Absolutely it is heritage property, but behind and around it is this massive parking lot. Keeping the house with any type of high density housing would really look weird.

We'll see.

Ottawan
Nov 6, 2011, 3:41 PM
I heard Phoenix, and quite some time ago.
Absolutely it is heritage property, but behind and around it is this massive parking lot. Keeping the house with any type of high density housing would really look weird.

We'll see.

I agree that it could look weird, but weird isn't necessarily bad. I think some good architecture could solve it.

S-Man
Nov 6, 2011, 4:40 PM
Good architecture? *gulp!*

Let's hope...

Marcus CLS
Nov 6, 2011, 9:13 PM
In addition to Dworkin Furs ad for closing sale, in Saturdays Ottawa Citizen there was also an ad from a Real estate Broker with an unnamed client seeking expressions of interest for 270,000 to 300,000 square feet of office space in Downtown Ottawa and Hull sector only. To be ready for occupation by July 2013 for 5 year lease. Interesting. Are the Feds using brokers now? If not, hopefully the client is the private sector.

Cre47
Nov 7, 2011, 3:44 PM
Update on the new Environment Canada building on Caron and St-Joseph in Gatineau. It is topped out. Sounded like the windows were almost all installed on the north side, I was quite far though. I would hope to shot some images soon with this project and the other towers in Gatineau hopefully.

kevinbottawa
Nov 8, 2011, 12:06 AM
Just saw this tweet from Cory O'Kelly of the CBC.

Hear Claridge is paying about double the market value for Beth Shalom site on Rideau Street. Big plans ??No call-back from company.

c_speed3108
Nov 8, 2011, 12:07 AM
Claridge Homes bought synagogue at Rideau and Chapel for $15m plus up to $9m more depending on what density they can get the city to agree to. Apparently they own one next to it as well (the motel?)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2011/11/07/ottawa-synagogue-sale-beth-shalom.html

kevinbottawa
Nov 8, 2011, 12:21 AM
Claridge Homes bought synagogue at Rideau and Chapel for $15m plus up to $9m more depending on what density they can get the city to agree to. Apparently they own one next to it as well (the motel?)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2011/11/07/ottawa-synagogue-sale-beth-shalom.html

Hopefully they actually build something on it instead adding it to other abandoned lots on that part of Rideau Street.

Uhuniau
Nov 8, 2011, 1:27 AM
Hopefully they actually build something on it instead adding it to other abandoned lots on that part of Rideau Street.

Isn't there some technical impediment to some of the redevelopment plans on rideau? Sewage capacity or electrical lines or something?

gjhall
Nov 8, 2011, 2:35 AM
Isn't there some technical impediment to some of the redevelopment plans on rideau? Sewage capacity or electrical lines or something?

Being redone in 2012 I believe...with this Claridge will own almost all the developable land on this stretch, so like Ashcroft on Richmond Road at Island park, they want to dominate the market.

blackjagger
Nov 8, 2011, 3:13 AM
Being redone in 2012 I believe...with this Claridge will own almost all the developable land on this stretch, so like Ashcroft on Richmond Road at Island park, they want to dominate the market.

Richcraft owns atleast two lots by Charlotte St. This area could use some new development.

blackjagger
Nov 8, 2011, 3:17 AM
As per the Dalhousie Community Association meeting minutes, Phoenix has revised their 801 Albert development to two 33 storey office towers. Could we have a new tallest proposal??

http://dalhousiecommunityassociation.blogspot.com/2011/11/dca-minutes-5-oct-2011.html

Skipper
Nov 10, 2011, 2:48 AM
Please someone tell me that they will not re-use the design of the Claridge Plaza. :yuck: It would be nice to see Claridge continue on better designs based on what they are doing at the Tribeca site and Waterstreet.

Cre47
Nov 13, 2011, 11:56 PM
Update on the new Environment Canada building on Caron and St-Joseph in Gatineau. It is topped out. Sounded like the windows were almost all installed on the north side, I was quite far though. I would hope to shot some images soon with this project and the other towers in Gatineau hopefully.

I would say about 80-90% of the outside windows are installed on the entire building, same thing with the building on La Carriere.

c_speed3108
Nov 14, 2011, 8:11 PM
From the Ottawa Business Journal

Richcraft eyes 20-storey Centrepointe towers

Published on November 14, 2011
OBJ Staff
Ottawa Business Journal

Richcraft Group of Companies plans to build two 20-storey-plus condo towers in Centrepointe in an area dominated by low-rise buildings.

The Ottawa-based developer is targeting a 22-storey tower and a 24-storey tower on a 0.76-hectare piece of land at 19 Centrepointe Dr., according to a planning rationale submitted to the city.

The site is just southwest of Baseline Road and Woodroffe Avenue. It is a few hundred metres west of Baseline Station and the Transitway, as well as College Square, a shopping plaza.

Link: http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Residential/2011-11-14/article-2804216/Richcraft-eyes-20-storey-Centrepointe-towers/1

Actually it says 24 and 26 on the city website

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__8UV7EU

McC
Nov 16, 2011, 3:31 PM
SW Corner of Daly and Eddy: a hole's been dug a couple of storeys deep, but I don't recall a thread about a new building at that location, did we all miss one, or was it just me?

S-Man
Nov 16, 2011, 3:38 PM
Daly Square, by Phoenix Homes

AuxTown
Nov 17, 2011, 2:40 AM
SW Corner of Daly and Eddy: a hole's been dug a couple of storeys deep, but I don't recall a thread about a new building at that location, did we all miss one, or was it just me?

Here's the thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=166571

McC
Nov 17, 2011, 12:38 PM
Here's the thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=166571

thanks; no updates since March, no wonder it seemed that the thread was hiding from me! ;-)

kevinbottawa
Nov 18, 2011, 2:14 PM
According to Eric Darwin Claridge bought the lot at the north east corner of Carling and Preston.

Sim Preston: Claridge strikes again

The Soho Italia project by Starwood Mastercraft has been controversial since it first became public knowledge through this blog early in the year. The + or – 35 storey condo tower put a major hole in the established urban plan for the neighborhood and multi-year traditional main street plans. The tower, a short block south of Carling Avenue, is aggressively positioned to maximize views.

Not being in the “first row” along Carling, it runs the risk of being blocked by competing towers should ones be built where the CIBC is, or Dow Motors (whose site has NO height limit on it) or other vacant lots along Carling, all of which have the enviable position of marvelous south views over the Lake and Farm, a huge NCC park at the doorstep, and fine dining and pubbing along Preston. More recently, signals have been insifying from the Feds that some of the Natural Resources Canada lands along Booth and Rochester will up for disposal very soon (like, within a year; soil remediation has been done and we are in the “wait one year” cooling off period). Once approved, the Soho Italia project will have to get shovels in the ground quickly to sell the pieds a ciel before another condo developer announces.

[as an aside, I have several times mentioned to developers or their agents that they should be going after the Sir John Carling Building, which the Feds propose to raze to the ground, even though all the grassy area between it and Carling is already zoned for high rises. The obsolete office building should be gutted, reclad, and sold out as a condo]

The arguments for the Soho Italia project have always been of concern. They will look immensely credible to the OMB. And the proponent is stickhandling the deal through the political process rather than through the planning process, which is much less favorably inclined to the project. These arguments to permit a high rise apply equally well to all the adjacent lots — indeed, they apply to virtually the entire length of Preston.

Imperial Oil, I think, owns the lot at the NE corner of Preston and Carling. I recall it as one of the very well decorated gas stations at Christmas time, back in the day when businesses did such a thing. The site was decontaminated a little over a year ago, and approved for sale.

Now Claridge definitely positions itself as a leading condo developer, and is careful to line up a string of developable properties. It has a number of Centretown and West Side sites either approved for development or coming on stream. They own the ex-Chinese supermarket lot at Breezehill and Somerset, immediately north of Devonshire School. They have approved towers in the 28 storey range on Queen and Lyon (3); Nepean and Gloucester (2), and Lisgar just south of Place Bell (where the Big Square Hole is) (3 towers).

When Starwood Mastercraft applied for heights in the mid-thirties for Soho Italia, I heard through the grape vine that Claridge vowed to get every one of their 28 storey approvals revised to also be 35. This would add about 7 floors to each building. This would be quite profitable.

So now that Claridge has bought the lot at Carling and Preston, will they want to add 7 stories to the Soho total and go for 42? Why not, the sky’s the limit.

Claridge's new tower will block some of the Soho Italia views of Dows Lake and Commissioner's Park

Shown below is the SimPreston photoshop done up by my graphic artist (aka dependent child), which replaced Dow Motors and CIBC with tall condos; and also the vacant Esso station lot on the right (east) of Preston, now owned by Claridge. We don’t know what will be proposed yet, but we will know shortly tall-ly.

McC
Nov 18, 2011, 2:37 PM
lots of interesting general updates and rumours in that post! here's the link so you can see the illustrations: http://westsideaction.wordpress.com/2011/11/17/sim-preston-claridge-strikes-again/#comments
Most interesting to me (because it's the most directly relevant to me) was the tip that Claridge owns the former Asian grocer on Somerset and Breezehill, right by the viaduct. That lot is perfect for a 6-storey trad main street style building (like the Picadilly or 111 Richmond), but if it goes taller, it would also be an interesting location for a Vancouver-style point tower with townhouses fronting on to Breezehill, and could offer excellent opportunities to leverage improvements/expansions for Devonshire PS as part of the 'public benefit' of approving increased height/density. That said, a poorly-designed tall tower there would have significant shadow impacts on the Breezehill townhouses to the north (which are already downhill, and could be easily shadowed in general). I don't know how tall buildings affect wind patterns in the real world (as opposed to people's imaginations), but it would also be very unfortunate if a tall building in that location caused a Tower-C-style Wind Cyclone* in the school yard or on the street just when the Somerset Square area is finally starting to become the nice urban place (rhymes with 'glass') that it always promised to be.

*this is a real thing, I walk along the Ottawa River and up to Sparks St every day, and what is a light breeze along the river immediately turns into a whiplashing frenzy as soon as you get to Lyon. It's very different from the 'wind tunnel effect' that sometimes plagues streets like Laurier (as well as people's imaginations about the future of say Richmond Road), where the wind sometimes does get concentrated into a clear straight line along the street; whereas around Place de Ville, the wind whips around in crazy directions, so I call it a 'cyclone' instead of a 'tunnel'.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 18, 2011, 3:03 PM
I like that version of Preston. Keeps the tall buildings in the area where they've been going for a while, and where it makes the most sense. This will give Little Italy a veritable skyline of its own.

eternallyme
Nov 18, 2011, 3:27 PM
I have no problems with sky-high buildings in the Preston area. They have little influence on the Parliament skyline, so I would approve even 50+ storey buildings there.

S-Man
Nov 18, 2011, 3:35 PM
Agree with McC that the Breezehill lot not be overwhelming to the schoolyard - I really like that area of the city. That said, a good site for a good looking development.

As for the middle-of-centretown sites - build, baby, build. There's no reason why the Lyon/Queen site couldn't be built taller, as it is sandwiched by tall office buildings and hotels. Nowhere would it be more appropriate.

Zach6668
Nov 18, 2011, 11:21 PM
I browsed through this thread a little, but don't really even know what to look for.

Does anyone know what they're putting up on the Airport Parkway just north of Hunt Club?

kwoldtimer
Nov 18, 2011, 11:28 PM
I have no problems with sky-high buildings in the Preston area. They have little influence on the Parliament skyline, so I would approve even 50+ storey buildings there.

I'm with you - I'd let them go as high and as dense as the infrastructure can handle down there.

Ottawan
Nov 19, 2011, 12:35 AM
I browsed through this thread a little, but don't really even know what to look for.

Does anyone know what they're putting up on the Airport Parkway just north of Hunt Club?

Yep - the Hunt Club (neighbourhood) to South Keys (station and mall) pedestrian bridge. There is a thread somewhere where it is discussed...

The City intends it to be a "landmark", which is part of why the construction seems (at least in my mind) a bit over-engineered for a ped bridge.

Cre47
Nov 19, 2011, 1:19 AM
Yep - the Hunt Club (neighbourhood) to South Keys (station and mall) pedestrian bridge. There is a thread somewhere where it is discussed...

The City intends it to be a "landmark", which is part of why the construction seems (at least in my mind) a bit over-engineered for a ped bridge.

Wow, it really took an eternity to get this project going.

Davis137
Nov 22, 2011, 3:33 AM
They have also constructed a new tunnel underneath the railroad tracks that will connect Southkeys station with the pedestrian path system too, as well as a new ramp coming up to the main platform. I'm wondering if they are going to open the wall on the bottom of south keys to have a doorway that leads into the tunnel under the transitway. While all of this is awesome, I'd still love to see the pathway system extend further north past Wakley, so that cyclists and other persons don't have to go onto the main roads to get from there, to Heron or Riverside to get on pathways again...

Uhuniau
Nov 22, 2011, 4:04 AM
Wow, it really took an eternity to get this project going.

N! C-C!

(You have to do that little sing-song from their radio ads.)

Uhuniau
Nov 22, 2011, 4:05 AM
They have also constructed a new tunnel underneath the railroad tracks that will connect Southkeys station with the pedestrian path system too, as well as a new ramp coming up to the main platform. I'm wondering if they are going to open the wall on the bottom of south keys to have a doorway that leads into the tunnel under the transitway. While all of this is awesome, I'd still love to see the pathway system extend further north past Wakley, so that cyclists and other persons don't have to go onto the main roads to get from there, to Heron or Riverside to get on pathways again...

Have constructed? Looked to me like that wasn't finished the last time I was down that way.

AuxTown
Nov 25, 2011, 1:42 PM
from www.cbc.ca

I can't imagine that Ottawa will ever do something this progressive, but it would be an excellent chance to build a high-density mixed-use neighbourhood. I'm sure, with all that space, they would be able to house most of the current workers and build some high- and mid-rise residential at the same time. Gotta leave some parkland though (of course). Move the remaining workers into new digs at Standard Life 3, 150 Elgin, and the next phase(s) of Place de Ville. One can dream I guess....

Ottawa councillor wants new role for Tunney's Pasture

CBC News
Tunney's Pasture is a valuable piece of real estate for Ottawa and is being underused in its current role as an office complex for the federal government, say a number of observers.

The land at the corner of Scott Street and Holland Avenue is mostly fields and parking, but sits on the city's main transit line and close to downtown.

The site is home to 22 federal buildings housing thousands of public servants, including most of Statistics Canada's employees. But many of the buildings, built in the '50s and '60s, are past their prime and in need of repairs.

Nearby resident Evan Thornton, the editor of the online urban issues magazine Spacing Ottawa, calls the government complex a waste of space.

"There's nothing for the surrounding community. There is no way for the community to get much out this space, either," Thornton said.

Ottawa councillor Peter Hume wants the Tunney's Pasture goverment complex to be turned into a new urban neighbourhood.

Hume, the councillor for Alta Vista and the head of the city's planning committee, said Tunney's Pasture needs to be revitalized. He said the city would look to the federal government to develop the land because light rail is soon coming nearby.

And he said the city would push for some change.

"We're not going to sit back and wait for the federal government to do this. We believe it is our role to be the catalyst for change with these federal properties and others across the city and we're going to do that," Hume said.

Public Works and Government Services Canada would not comment on the future of the Tunney's Pasture site.

kevinbottawa
Nov 25, 2011, 2:38 PM
from www.cbc.ca

I can't imagine that Ottawa will ever do something this progressive, but it would be an excellent chance to build a high-density mixed-use neighbourhood. I'm sure, with all that space, they would be able to house most of the current workers and build some high- and mid-rise residential at the same time. Gotta leave some parkland though (of course). Move the remaining workers into new digs at Standard Life 3, 150 Elgin, and the next phase(s) of Place de Ville. One can dream I guess....

I've driven through Tunney's Pasture a few times to fantacize about what it would look like as a high-density, mixed used area. It would be an amazing place to live, work and hang out.

S-Man
Nov 25, 2011, 3:17 PM
Don't bother reading the comments for that CBC story - mostly remarks on loss of green space, evil developers, Harper and the like...:rolleyes:

Back to planning and real life: The space Tunney's occupies is woefully underutilized. So much wonderful, Greber-style expanses of grass and miles of surface parking lots punctuated with short-life Brutalist office towers. While the taller buildings still have life in them, the low rises between them are on their way out. Put the parking underground, and you'll have tons of space of office/retail/residential.

I doubt many people think of Tunney's as heritage green space. I've yet to see people playing frisbee on the lawn outside.

reidjr
Nov 25, 2011, 4:23 PM
Don't bother reading the comments for that CBC story - mostly remarks on loss of green space, evil developers, Harper and the like...:rolleyes:

Back to planning and real life: The space Tunney's occupies is woefully underutilized. So much wonderful, Greber-style expanses of grass and miles of surface parking lots punctuated with short-life Brutalist office towers. While the taller buildings still have life in them, the low rises between them are on their way out. Put the parking underground, and you'll have tons of space of office/retail/residential.

I doubt many people think of Tunney's as heritage green space. I've yet to see people playing frisbee on the lawn outside.

While i am not a huge supporter of more parks and green space what i would like tos ee is this area turned into a new mixed use area plus have some new soccer/football fields as well as a park.

umbria27
Nov 25, 2011, 7:07 PM
I've driven through Tunney's Pasture a few times to fantacize about what it would look like as a high-density, mixed used area. It would be an amazing place to live, work and hang out.

The place has a very apocalyptic air of abandonment once the public servants have left. I've been there on weekends for the start of a couple of 10k races, and all it needs is a few creaky swings and a windy soundtrack to turn into the set of Day of the Triffids.

They need to keep the office space, but add retail, residential and recreational to turn this into a real human space. Why is mixed use such a difficult concept for Ottawa?

Uhuniau
Nov 25, 2011, 8:01 PM

What was really hilarious was the CBC TV "teaser" for this story showed all the buildings that AREN'T on the tear-down list.

Uhuniau
Nov 25, 2011, 8:03 PM
They need to keep the office space, but add retail, residential and recreational to turn this into a real human space. Why is mixed use such a difficult concept for Ottawa?

But what about the green space! the open space! and for god's sake think about the children and the traffic!

Ottawans wouldn't know good city-building if it bit them in the tits. They go off to Europe, and come gushing back about how Paris is this and London is that and if only we had a thing like that thing in Stockholm or Barcelona... and then demand the exact goddamn opposite, and oppose everything that would make Ottawa less North American and more Europy.

waterloowarrior
Nov 25, 2011, 10:46 PM
HOK Canada is doing (has done?) a master plan for the site that will guide future redevelopment of Tunney's
http://www.hok.com/cfm/NewsArchiveDetail.cfm?Category=&instanceID=525cd56f-1422-77e3-d2cd-7af25a82142e

cityguy
Nov 26, 2011, 11:55 AM
I love the work EUROPY.makes me laugh.

kevinbottawa
Nov 26, 2011, 1:21 PM
Here's a follow-up article from the CBC. There's a chart with the condition of the different buildings with the actual article on the CBC website.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2011/11/23/ottawa-big-fix-tunneys-pasture-old-buildings.html

Tunney's Pasture buildings past their prime

CBC News ⁠ Posted: Nov 24, 2011 8:16 AM ET ⁠Last Updated: Nov 24, 2011 10:16 AM ET  

Some Tunney's Pasture government buildings will be vacated by 2015, a PSAC representative tells CBC News.

Nobody from Public Works and Government Services Canada responded to requests for information about the future of these buildings, but PSAC told the CBC's David Gerow some buildings would have new plans in four years.

Big Fix: 7 federal buildings in rough shape

Dominic Lavoie, who is in charge of health and safety for PSAC, said some workers could be moved to other buildings while other services might be privatized.

The large space of land at Tunney's Pasture, which includes 22 buildings and much of Statistics Canada, features four government buildings rated in "poor" condition, five in "fair" condition and five in "good" condition.

The four buildings rated in "poor" condition have caused some health issues, Lavoie said.

"There is a significant impact that we've noticed over time in people that are working in these older buildings," he said.

Long-term health problems among workers are hard to measure or link to old buildings, though, because the issues normally arise when employees no longer work in the building, he said.

Many workers have also said a lack of clean water is among the most common concerns of employees at Tunney's Pasture, according to PSAC.

Structural engineer predicts buildings will be demolished, not renovated

Many of the buildings were built in the 1950s and 1960s at a time when the emphasis was on quick construction and not on making things built to last, said Ottawa structural engineer Ted Sherwood.

Sherwood said many government buildings are deteriorating faster than they can be renovated and the problem is compounded at Tunney's Pasture.

"They weren't built in the expectation that they would last forever," said Sherwood, who teaches civil engineering at Carleton University.

He added many of the buildings are reaching the end of their "design life." The government has committed millions of dollars to fix the five buildings deemed to be in "good" condition, but the other nine continue to further deteriorate.

Sherwood said he has an explanation for that thinking.

"It's often cheaper just to demolish a building and rebuild it than to try to upgrade an existing poor building," he said.

Public Works, however, has not given any indication as to what its future plans for the buildings are.

kwoldtimer
Nov 26, 2011, 2:44 PM
If I were King, I would start by tearing down what needs to go, selling the land fronting on Parkdale to private developers for mixed use development, and then call for PPP proposals to redevelop either side of the grand boulevard (which should be saved in any redevelopment). Being Fed land, however, they'll probably go for some kind of "grand plan" that will take decades to develop. At the end of the day it should remain an area where thousands of civil servant work, but hopefully where they and others would want to live as well.

gjhall
Nov 26, 2011, 11:37 PM
HOK Canada is doing (has done?) a master plan for the site that will guide future redevelopment of Tunney's
http://www.hok.com/cfm/NewsArchiveDetail.cfm?Category=&instanceID=525cd56f-1422-77e3-d2cd-7af25a82142e

Is doing.

Uhuniau
Nov 27, 2011, 3:02 AM
If I were King, I would start by tearing down what needs to go, selling the land fronting on Parkdale to private developers for mixed use development, and then call for PPP proposals to redevelop either side of the grand boulevard (which should be saved in any redevelopment). Being Fed land, however, they'll probably go for some kind of "grand plan" that will take decades to develop. At the end of the day it should remain an area where thousands of civil servant work, but hopefully where they and others would want to live as well.

Why should the "grand boulevard" be saved? I don't take that as a given.

Ottawan
Nov 27, 2011, 1:32 PM
Why should the "grand boulevard" be saved? I don't take that as a given.

I do. Part of making intensification human is retaining elements of what was there before and enhancing them. To fail to do so is to risk repeating the mistakes of the urban renewal movement of the 50's-60's (think of the destruction of functioning neighbourhoods near Preston/Gladstone and in Lowertown, and their replacement with suburban-like development) in a new setting and with a new goal. Of all the elements of 1950s-planning tower-in-the-park Tunney's, the two Grand Boulevards are those easiest to keep while simultaneously transforming the area into a dense, walkable, mixed-use neighbourhood.

There is far and away enough land to develop elsewhere on site, and other opportunities to create smaller, more intimate streets. I also think it would be a real victory to turn currently sterile boulevards, appreciable currently only at a distance or by automobile, into vibrant pedestrian friendly boulevards, flanked by mixed use buildings & towers with ground-level services, shaded by trees.

McC
Nov 28, 2011, 1:25 AM
There is far and away enough land to develop elsewhere on site, and other opportunities to create smaller, more intimate streets. I also think it would be a real victory to turn currently sterile boulevards, appreciable currently only at a distance or by automobile, into vibrant pedestrian friendly boulevards, flanked by mixed use buildings & towers with ground-level services, shaded by trees.
I agree with you completely, but there are some tricky challenges that would have to be worked out to do this, namely the way the entire Tunney's Pasture complex turns its backs on the neighbourhoods on either side, e.g., the the location of Main Stats at the east side of the complex, and the complete row of houses on Northwestern to the west of the complex make it very difficult to integrate Tunney's into the street grids of those neighbourhoods; but I believe that doing so would be a key component of making it a vibrant community with a vibrant boulevard. To achieve this, I think it would need a busy high street cutting through the site on the east-west axis; otherwise it's a dead end, and must be a standalone destination, because no one would ever pass through it. But connecting Clearview to Eglantine to Burnside, and Sunnymeade to Sorrel to Lyndale would be difficult to say the least...

Uhuniau
Nov 29, 2011, 3:02 AM

The "grand boulevard" is a windswept economic, cultural, and physical dead space, and a great generator of "edge vacuum".

If it goes, good riddance. It would be better off replaced with two streets the width and scale of Banks or Elgins or Wellington Wests.

Uhuniau
Nov 29, 2011, 3:03 AM
To achieve this, I think it would need a busy high street cutting through the site on the east-west axis; otherwise it's a dead end, and must be a standalone destination, because no one would ever pass through it. But connecting Clearview to Eglantine to Burnside, and Sunnymeade to Sorrel to Lyndale would be difficult to say the least...

"No one would ever pass through it", in Ottawese, is an indicator of "vibrancy". Heaven forbid anyone who doesn't live in your neighbourhood would ever pass through it! :)

Ottawan
Nov 29, 2011, 3:03 PM
The "grand boulevard" is a windswept economic, cultural, and physical dead space, and a great generator of "edge vacuum".

Right now yes, potentially in the future, no. We'll just have to continue to disagree on this one.

If it goes, good riddance. It would be better off replaced with two streets the width and scale of Banks or Elgins or Wellington Wests.

There is room for several of those elsewhere on the site. Let's try to create something that is 'unique' here. The fact that the Boulevard extends a view of the site south along Holland all the way to the Queensway opens up the site and has the potential to draw people into it & connect it to the surrounding neighbourhood in a way that smaller streets would not. Do not get me wrong - I would expect the Boulevard to be flanked with large, pedestrian friendly, ground-oriented, mixed-use buildings for it to succeed.

Davis137
Dec 2, 2011, 1:48 AM
Noticed a crane up, and the first 4 floors or more of something going up behind the Leon's out towards pinecrest area...anyone know what this is?

ThaLoveDocta
Dec 2, 2011, 3:23 PM
Noticed a crane up, and the first 4 floors or more of something going up behind the Leon's out towards pinecrest area...anyone know what this is?

Bayshore expansion?
PCL is doing that one.

MountainView
Dec 2, 2011, 3:36 PM

I believe it is this, but I could be wrong:

2611 Queensview Drive - 4 Storey Office tower - LEED certified

links:

http://matrix.cwcanada.com/user/website/CWLePage/ls_TransListingProfilePublic_en.asp?TransID=368635

http://matrix.cwcanada.com/filecabinet/Trans/368635/Flyer%20-%20Queensview%202611%20Update.pdf

rocketphish
Dec 2, 2011, 5:48 PM
I believe it is this, but I could be wrong...
Yes, that's the one.

Marcus CLS
Dec 3, 2011, 1:03 PM
Went for a walk through Westboro yesterday. Don't know if this was posted already but 72 Richmond is closed and boarded up and next door at 70 Richmond is a for sale sign. These are East of Qwest and West of Island park drive.

Ottawan
Dec 4, 2011, 3:40 PM
Went for a walk through Westboro yesterday. Don't know if this was posted already but 72 Richmond is closed and boarded up and next door at 70 Richmond is a for sale sign. These are East of Qwest and West of Island park drive.

Interesting... I always thought that these would be the very last car lots to go, as both properties have been significantly renovated/rebuilt quite recently (sometime in the last 5 years).

gjhall
Dec 5, 2011, 12:32 PM
Big planning committee today:

203 Catherine
450 Churchill
335 Roosevelt

All on the agenda.

ThaLoveDocta
Dec 5, 2011, 6:56 PM
Big planning committee today:

203 Catherine
450 Churchill
335 Roosevelt

All on the agenda.

203 Catherine got the okay - Diane Holmes didn't like it, but she doesn't get to vote.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Committee+Catherine+Street+condos/5812909/story.html

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/5813277.bin

Committee OKs Catherine Street condos

An artist’s rendering of planned condo tower at 203 Catherine St. by Brad J. Lamb, a Toronto developer. City council’s planning committee approved it Monday.

An artist’s rendering of planned condo tower at 203 Catherine St. by Brad J. Lamb, a Toronto developer. City council’s planning committee approved it Monday.

OTTAWA — A condo tower proposed by a Toronto-based developer for 203 Catherine St. by the downtown Queensway got the go-ahead from the city’s planning committee Monday.

The committee approved the plan for a 23-storey tower unanimously, but over the objections of Councillor Diane Holmes, who spoke to the committee but couldn’t vote because she isn’t a member.

The plan calls for a major rezoning of the site, now occupied by a three-storey “Media Arts Building,” and many of the immediate neighbours object because it’ll put them in shadow and, they say, overwhelm parking demand for the area.

“This is an area that we do want more development. We do want more height. It’s just that this height is way over the top,” Holmes said.

The area is the subject of a community design plan, a joint effort of the city’s planning department and neighbourhood residents to define how it’s supposed to be redeveloped over time, but it isn’t finished yet and the proposal by Brad J. Lamb violates the existing zoning.

Resident Dan Mullaly, who addressed the committee, warned that the plan “sets an extreme precedent.”

Holmes said that although the preliminary draft of the community design plan imagines taller buildings along Catherine Street, and the Lamb project is roughly consistent with that, the plan is actually unrealistic: Most of Catherine Street is spoken for by buildings that aren’t going anywhere.

Police headquarters at Elgin Street, for example, along with new and shorter apartments run by the non-profit Centretown Citizens Ottawa Corp., Galashan public school and the bus station. Despite the plan, the block between Bank and O’Connor is likely to be the only one that’s actually redeveloped soon, she said.

But these worries ultimately weighed very little with the committee.

Orléans Councillor Bob Monette was the only councillor to actively speak out for the building, saying that when it comes to density, “We have to start being more creative,” and the three-layer tower is attractive. He wouldn’t vote for a 23-storey block, he said, but the Lamb proposal isn’t that.

Indeed, the planning department says, it’ll add pedestrian-friendly features to a car-dominated block (including ground-floor stores) and the builder is promising to build a new water main to replace a narrower one running along Catherine that dates from 1889, from which the entire neighbourhood will benefit.

With the committee’s approval, the project heads to city council for a final sign-off on Dec. 14.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com

Uhuniau
Dec 5, 2011, 11:26 PM
The NAC is a gem of its era, and must be preserved.

The NAC is a turd. Bar none, the butt-ugliest public building in Ottawa. (And that's saying something.)

kevinbottawa
Dec 6, 2011, 1:23 AM
The lot at Montgomery and MacArthur (just west of Vanier Parkway) where there's an application for an 8-storey condo is now roped off. It was a mechanic and I think it was being used as a parking lot but now there's a big sign saying "Coming Soon" or "Opening Soon". It was dark so I couldn't read exactly what it said.

Kitchissippi
Dec 6, 2011, 6:50 AM
203 Catherine got the okay
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/5813277.bin?size=620x400s

Isn't it odd that the rendering does not show the mass of their own development at the Central?

c_speed3108
Dec 6, 2011, 2:12 PM
The lot at Montgomery and MacArthur (just west of Vanier Parkway) where there's an application for an 8-storey condo is now roped off. It was a mechanic and I think it was being used as a parking lot but now there's a big sign saying "Coming Soon" or "Opening Soon". It was dark so I couldn't read exactly what it said.

That would be this one:

http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Residential/2011-07-08/article-2641490/Longwood-proposes-Vanier-condos/1

I forget if we have a thread or not...I also know there was a rendering of this thing somewhere.

rocketphish
Dec 6, 2011, 6:15 PM
That would be this one:

http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Residential/2011-07-08/article-2641490/Longwood-proposes-Vanier-condos/1

I forget if we have a thread or not...I also know there was a rendering of this thing somewhere.

That would be this one:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=192427

c_speed3108
Dec 6, 2011, 7:01 PM
That would be this one:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=192427

ServiceGuy
Dec 7, 2011, 12:14 AM
Just heard from one of the Taggart guys that Plaza 3 & 4 are going from P6 to P8 for excavation. Going to be a deep hole if that's the case. Just wondering the the building would have to be re-angered for that or just the additional two levels underground?

rakerman
Dec 8, 2011, 3:37 PM
Isn't it odd that the rendering does not show the mass of their own development at the Central?

203 Catherine is by Brett Lamb, Central is by Urban Capital.

amanfromnowhere
Dec 8, 2011, 4:23 PM
proposed construction of a new facility for University of Ottawa:

UNIVERSITY BUILDING AND LIBRARY Proj: 9147111-5
Ottawa, Ottawa-Carleton Reg ON CONTEMPLATED
University of Ottawa, Learning Centre, Morisset Library, 65 University Private St, K1N
$35,000,000 est
Note: Expression of interests (EOI) for architectural services closed on December 5, 2011, at the owner. Solicitation #: 2011059-rfp. Information: Louis D'Aoust, tel: 613-562-5800 ext 6548. List of short listed firms is expected to be announced by December 12, 2011. Pre-design stage that will include detailed programming, site analysis and schematic design is anticipated to be completed by March 1, 2012. Further update winter, 2011/2012.
Project manager will be separately retained by the owner.
Project: proposed construction of a new facility that will include the following major components: library expansion (4,000 sq m), integrated student services (one stop shop, 2,300 sq m) and classrooms (up to approx 1000 seats in various configurations, 1,900 sq m).
Scope: 5,500 m²
Development: New
Category: Educational bldgs

dcn (http://www.dcnonl.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=57c1053956421c1144f4dfad4b50d66605fe2ba9&projectid=9147111&region=ontario)

gjhall
Dec 8, 2011, 4:53 PM
203 Catherine is by Brett Lamb, Central is by Urban Capital.

*Brad Lamb.

And his firm did some part in the sales/marketing.

Cre47
Dec 11, 2011, 11:35 PM
Demolition of the CTV Ottawa building on Merivale. Lets put some decent stuff on this entire stretch from Baseline to Clyde, not just seas of parking. I know a plan that was posted somewhere in this forum had an enormous (excessive) amount of parking planned with few buildings planned.

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/gallery/html/OTT_Merivale_Demolition_December_2011/photo_0.html

S-Man
Dec 12, 2011, 12:58 AM
I heard a rumour of a residential proposal somewhere in the middle of that Clyde-Merivale triangle. Given the amount of retail adjacent to the site, it's not a bad location for something like that. I can't imagine a shadow would bother anyone, either.

Uhuniau
Dec 12, 2011, 11:53 PM
I heard a rumour of a residential proposal somewhere in the middle of that Clyde-Merivale triangle. Given the amount of retail adjacent to the site, it's not a bad location for something like that. I can't imagine a shadow would bother anyone, either.

Bother? In this town, shadows will KILL you.

S-Man
Dec 13, 2011, 5:06 AM
I see the basis of an amusing short horror film here....

rakerman
Dec 17, 2011, 10:42 PM
Dec 9, 2011 - Running some numbers on an interesting site we just saw in Somerset Village #Ottawa

https://twitter.com/#!/fortressrealcap/status/145143244022484992

Fortress I guess is the investing group that includes Lamb?

There's Somerset House and there are also parking lots at Somerset & O'Connor and Somerset & Metcalfe.

Anyone know the official definition of Somerset Village? Is it from Bank to Metcalfe? (Not that Fortress hasn't been one for stretching or even inventing neighbourhood definitions before.)

S-Man
Dec 17, 2011, 11:56 PM
There's no village. The term is made up, so it could exist in multiple imaginary boundaries.

McC
Dec 18, 2011, 12:29 AM
Anyone know the official definition of Somerset Village? Is it from Bank to Metcalfe? (Not that Fortress hasn't been one for stretching or even inventing neighbourhood definitions before.)

It's mostly about the one block from Bank to O'Connor:
http://www.somerset-village.com/

waterloowarrior
Jan 12, 2012, 12:47 AM
Somerset and Breezehill (168 Market) purchased by Claridge... maybe some height?
http://www.offhand.ca/index.php?section=dmv&name=20120106_Breezehill_Development_

S-Man
Jan 12, 2012, 4:59 AM
Probably not too high - it's a pretty tight space.

I like the neighbourhood, though. It's kind of a forgotten little corner of the city. I'd be surprised if it was more than 6-8 floors.

blackjagger
Jan 12, 2012, 2:05 PM
Probably not too high - it's a pretty tight space.

I like the neighbourhood, though. It's kind of a forgotten little corner of the city. I'd be surprised if it was more than 6-8 floors.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was more in the 12-15 storey range. There are a couple of taller apartment buildings to the west and only that auto body shop and O-Train cut to the east. South is Devonshire and some light commercial/industrial. Because the School is South there will not be any shade concerns on the schoolyard. I see no reason a strong "gateway" tower could not be placed here.

I guess will wait and see.

Cheers,
Josh

Luker
Jan 12, 2012, 6:48 PM
I live on Breezehill N and have been thinking and talking about this property for months since the Asian food market went out of business due to two years of construction on somerset in front.

Some quick notes:

- It is a dingy property with a mechanics bay in the rear.

- Very large

- Directly on the O-train route

- Within 2.5km of Parliament Hill

- A block to the west on Bayswater lies a 7-8 story apartment on the eastern sidewalk, and a 20 story apartment building on the western sidewalk (Bayswater/Somerset)

- The City Center lies directly North standing about 10 storys, however its ground floor is about 3 story's below the height of this properties current grade.

- It is a part of Somerset and Wellington that needs to be rejuvenation and could use substantial at-grade retail in the podium

- Will play a large role in bridging the gap and dead space in the streetscape at this area.

With that being said I would expect to see the developers push for a 15-18 floor condo building. I would be in favor of 8-12 maximum, similar standards to the buildings at the west of Westboro which comprise the 'Gates of Westboro'

Uhuniau
Jan 13, 2012, 3:48 AM
Because the School is South there will not be any shade concerns on the schoolyard.

This is Ottawa, where the sun rises in the north and sets in the south and buildings that are more than one inch taller than any neighbouring building, in any direction, casts that building into PERPETUAL SHADE!!!!

(See also: WIND TUNNEL EFFECT!)

S-Man
Jan 13, 2012, 6:14 AM
Whirlwinds of death, indeed. I heard one brought down the Bluesfest stage....

That said, I agree with 8 or so storeys. Maybe 12. Can't recall how deep the lot is from memory...

Luker
Jan 13, 2012, 3:08 PM
Very deep... There is the retail/grocery size store component fronting on to Somerset, and a five car mechanics bay in the rear with a good size parking lot... also parking spaces on west side in alleyway..

^
This is why I think they will try an be ambitious with a very large podium (for community uses) and a good size tower (15-20).. The condos will commend tremendous views, on the cusp of the CBD and bordering multiple desired neighborhoods (and mechanicsville :P).

waterloowarrior
Jan 14, 2012, 5:20 PM
211 Clarence
http://www.yourottawaregion.com/news/article/1279331--lowertown-feels-tension-over-heritage-sensitive-developments

looks good, but would have liked to see what the old proposal looked like

waterloowarrior
Jan 22, 2012, 6:29 PM
285 Selby - Coming soon from Uniform Urban Developments

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7014/6743527355_2c172d2ab1.jpg

from Westboro Beach CA's site

3. 285 Selby Ave and 266, 268, 270 Ferndale Ave. (developer Uniform Urban Developments). The developer asked to sever the existing lot into 4 lots and to have reduced lot size (20%) and lot width.

Result: Application approved. "It is the opinion of the Committee that the scale and massing of the proposed development is appropriate for the subject property. The Committee acknowledges that corner lots provide unique opportunities for intensification, and find this particular corner lot provides a suitable lot area to accommodate the four proposed parcels, with minimal adverse impact on surrounding development and existing vegetation.”

S-Man
Jan 22, 2012, 10:44 PM
Definitely overextremificationexplosion. As Ken Grey would argue, you can have intensification without adding new units or changing anything.

Cre47
Jan 22, 2012, 11:23 PM
Definitely overextremificationexplosion. As Ken Grey would argue, you can have intensification without adding new units or changing anything.

The height argument would be poor here. Isn't there by chance an existing 25-story building on Clearview right near this site? And the Metropole not too far as well?

S-Man
Jan 23, 2012, 12:33 AM
It often is a poor argument, but that doesn't stop red-faced residents from making them.

waterloowarrior
Jan 31, 2012, 3:31 AM
530 Tremblay Road update
http://www.ceaa.gc.ca/050/details-eng.cfm?evaluation=65458
NOTICE OF COMMENCEMENT
of an Environmental Assessment

Proposed Property Development Project at 530 Tremblay Road, Ottawa, Ontario
Ottawa (ON)
December 14, 2011 (Updated January 12, 2012) -- Public Works and Government Services Canada and the National Capital Commission are required to ensure that a screening is conducted pursuant to the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act commencing on December 1, 2011 in relation to the project: Proposed Property Development Project at 530 Tremblay Road, Ottawa, Ontario.
Public Works and Government Services Canada is proposing to complete a property development project at 530 Tremblay Road, Ottawa, Ontario. The project will be completed in two (2) or more separate phases. The Environmental Assessment screening report is limited to the activities to be completed in Phase 1 of the project.

Proposed activities for Phase 1 of the project are:
- The construction of two to three office buildings totalling between 90,000 m2 to 105,000 m2 together with a parking facility in the form of an underground and above ground parking structure;
- The construction of a pedestrian bridge (either simple structure, truss, or arched) crossing over Highway 417 connecting to the St. Laurent transit station;
- The realigning of Tremblay Road through the site to maximize the development potential of the site; and
- Installation of a storm water management facility in the southern part of the property.

An environmental assessment is required in relation to the project because Public Works and Government Services Canada is the proponent for the project and may provide federal lands and because the National Capital Commission may provide federal lands.

Public Works and Government Services Canada will act as the Federal Environmental Assessment Coordinator for this environmental assessment.

For further information on this environmental assessment, please contact:
Rachelle Besner

Acting Head, Environmental Assessment and Sustainable Project Delivery
Public Works and Government Services Canada
380 Hunt Club Road
Ottawa ON K1A 0S5
Telephone: 613-993-6795
Fax: 613-993-6642
Email: Rachelle.Besner@pwgsc.gc.ca

and refer to Registry reference number 11-01-65458

http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/530tremblay.jpg

S-Man
Jan 31, 2012, 7:31 AM
Good to have another employment node attached to current Transitway/future LRT. Would also help de-isolate those homes off of Belfast.

Davis137
Jan 31, 2012, 3:05 PM
Ummm, so they have money to build more office space for PWGSC, but they are doing substantial job cuts at the same time...? (yes, I know that a lot of the cuts will actually be through attrition).

However, this does bode well for the neighbourhood that's beside it, and will likely increase the property values and/or spur renovations to start happening more frequently (a lot like in Hintonburg in the last couple of years).

rocketphish
Jan 31, 2012, 6:51 PM
285 Selby - Coming soon from Uniform Urban Developments

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7014/6743527355_2c172d2ab1.jpg

from Westboro Beach CA's site

3. 285 Selby Ave and 266, 268, 270 Ferndale Ave. (developer Uniform Urban Developments). The developer asked to sever the existing lot into 4 lots and to have reduced lot size (20%) and lot width.

Result: Application approved. "It is the opinion of the Committee that the scale and massing of the proposed development is appropriate for the subject property. The Committee acknowledges that corner lots provide unique opportunities for intensification, and find this particular corner lot provides a suitable lot area to accommodate the four proposed parcels, with minimal adverse impact on surrounding development and existing vegetation.”

Uniform Urban Developments' Selby site is up:
http://www.uniformdevelopments.com/online/Selby/

kevinbottawa
Jan 31, 2012, 8:44 PM
530 Tremblay Road update
http://www.ceaa.gc.ca/050/details-eng.cfm?evaluation=65458
NOTICE OF COMMENCEMENT
of an Environmental Assessment

Proposed Property Development Project at 530 Tremblay Road, Ottawa, Ontario
Ottawa (ON)
December 14, 2011 (Updated January 12, 2012) -- Public Works and Government Services Canada and the National Capital Commission are required to ensure that a screening is conducted pursuant to the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act commencing on December 1, 2011 in relation to the project: Proposed Property Development Project at 530 Tremblay Road, Ottawa, Ontario.
Public Works and Government Services Canada is proposing to complete a property development project at 530 Tremblay Road, Ottawa, Ontario. The project will be completed in two (2) or more separate phases. The Environmental Assessment screening report is limited to the activities to be completed in Phase 1 of the project.

Proposed activities for Phase 1 of the project are:
- The construction of two to three office buildings totalling between 90,000 m2 to 105,000 m2 together with a parking facility in the form of an underground and above ground parking structure;
- The construction of a pedestrian bridge (either simple structure, truss, or arched) crossing over Highway 417 connecting to the St. Laurent transit station;
- The realigning of Tremblay Road through the site to maximize the development potential of the site; and
- Installation of a storm water management facility in the southern part of the property.

An environmental assessment is required in relation to the project because Public Works and Government Services Canada is the proponent for the project and may provide federal lands and because the National Capital Commission may provide federal lands.

Public Works and Government Services Canada will act as the Federal Environmental Assessment Coordinator for this environmental assessment.

For further information on this environmental assessment, please contact:
Rachelle Besner

Acting Head, Environmental Assessment and Sustainable Project Delivery
Public Works and Government Services Canada
380 Hunt Club Road
Ottawa ON K1A 0S5
Telephone: 613-993-6795
Fax: 613-993-6642
Email: Rachelle.Besner@pwgsc.gc.ca

and refer to Registry reference number 11-01-65458

http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/530tremblay.jpg

Wow. A second pedestrian bridge going over the 417 in this area.

reidjr
Jan 31, 2012, 9:39 PM
If its at the environmental assessment now whats everyones best guess when could they break ground?