PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to Atlanta

stepper77
Oct 31, 2007, 9:20 PM
I am going to be visiting some friends in Knoxville in January, but, plan on flying into Atlanta and staying for a day (and night) to see the city. Since I will only be there for one full day, I want to make full use of my time. I'd love to hear suggestions on good places to see, particulary for exploring/photographing Atlanta architecture, skyline, etc.

I am staying across from the the Fox Theatre (Georgian Terrace) and want to stick with walking and/or taking MARTA to wherever I go. I know the general areas to see; downtown, midtown, piedmont park, buckhead. At some point, I'd like to go to the "gay district" if there is one particular area...Midtown? And if any one can recommend any good places to eat while I'm there, I'd appreciate that too? I love finding relatively inexpensive restaurants that you'd only find in a particular city.

Anyway, any guidance or suggestions for spending my day in Atlanta would be much appreciated. I hear so many great things about it on this forum that I can't wait to go!

micropundit
Oct 31, 2007, 9:34 PM
Welcome. For dining there are several restaurants almost across the steet from you: Baronda(Pizza); Enoteca Carbonai(Italian) at 4th & Peach and Eno a wine bar down the street.

akiatl261
Oct 31, 2007, 9:37 PM
Welcome to Atlanta and I hope you will like it here. Im sure you will. :-) Well some of my favorite places that I enjoy and I would offer as suggestions. Atlantic Station for one. YoIts got good people watching and great views of the city and some decent resturants. You can ride Marta to the Artys Center Station and hop on the free shuttle to Atlantic Station. Also Downtown. I like the energy around Centennial Park and CNN center also the fairlie popular district is in walking distance of centennial park. Gay district is 14th street and piedmont rd area in midtown and a few bars on peactree towards 14th street. walking distance from your hotel.

(four 0 four)
Oct 31, 2007, 10:03 PM
Restaurants:All are close to the hotel and reasonably priced
Baraonda (as previously mentioned) is across the street from the GT...great pizzas
Little Azio (panini & salads) and Noodle (Asian) at Peachtree and 8th
Flying Biscuit ('comfort food') at Piedmont and 10th
Tap ('gastropub') and Shout (?) at Peachtree and 14th
Mid City Cafe (pub food and great martinis) West Peachtree and 5th
Fresh to Order (salads, pinini) and Vortex (great burgers) Peachtree and 7th

You'll find all the 'fag rags' you need to know what's going on at Outwrite Books at Piedmont and 10th or a neighborhood bar called Blakes just around the corner from the bookstore.

Have a fantastic time!:banana:

Sketching
Oct 31, 2007, 10:04 PM
Most of the gay bars and clubs are located in Midtown along Piedmont Ave north of Tenth Street and along Cheshire Bridge Road. Otherwise they are scattered around the city.

Bars and Clubs

Amsterdam
502 Amsterdam Avenue, Atlanta

Bazzaar
654 Peachtree Street, Atlanta

Blake’s On The Park
227 10th Street Atlanta

BJ Roosters
2345 Cheshire Bridge Road, Atlanta (Tara Shopping Center)

The Body Shop
2675 Johnson Road, Atlanta

Bulldogs
893 Peachtree Street Atlanta

Burkharts
1492 Piedmont Avenue, Atlanta (Ansley Square)

Chaparral
2715 Buford Hwy Atlanta

Eagle
306 Ponce de Leon Avenue Atlanta

Eye Candy Club
4470 Commerce Drive, Atlanta

Felix’s on the Square
1510-G Piedmont Avenue, Atlanta (Ansley Square)

Friends on Ponce
736 Ponce de Leon Avenue, Atlanta

Heretic
2069 Cheshire Bridge Road Atlanta

Jungle now called The Wild Mustang
2115 Faulkner Road, Atlanta

LeBuzz
585 Franklin Road, Marietta

Mary’s
1287B Glenwood Avenue, Atlanta

Miss Q’s
560-B Amsterdam Avenue, Atlanta

The Model T
699 Ponce de Leon Avenue, Atlanta

My Sister’s Room
1271 Glenwood Avenue, Atlanta

Opus 1
1086 Alco Street, Atlanta

The Oscars
1510-C Piedmont Avenue, Atlanta (Ansley Square)

Paris Decatur
308 W. Ponce de Leon Avenue, Decatur

The Play Ground
253 Auburn Avenue, Atlanta

Stage Door
4431 Hugh Howell Road, Tucker

Swinging Richards
1400 Northside Drive, Atlanta

Tower II
735 Ralph McGill Boulevard, Atlanta

TRAXX at Atlanta Live
3595 Clairmont Road

Tripps
1931 Piedmont Circle, Atlanta

WETbar
960 Spring Street, Atlanta

Woofs
2425 Piedmont Road, Atlanta

Tombstoner
Nov 1, 2007, 2:39 AM
You picked a great hotel to be in the most happening part of Atlanta. Can't speak to the gay club issue, but there are a couple upscale restaurants that I think are special: Trois (easy access from the Arts Center MARTA Station) and FAB (close to the Civic Center MARTA). On a good night, these are as good "nouvelle" French places as you will find just about anywhere (though both have a commitment to the classics as well). On a bad night, they are still good. The thing separating a good night from a bad night is the service (I've had amazingly good service but also pushy/indifferent service at times). Enjoy.

vandynole
Nov 1, 2007, 2:04 PM
There are some good suggestions on this thread, but some of them don't take into account that you'll only be here one day/night and mostly want to explore by foot. Given your location, that's totally feasible. I'm also assuming that you'll be alone. That said, I'd highlight these recommendations from others:

--TAP at Peachtree and 14th. A decent walk (~14 blocks) from your hotel, but would allow you to check out most of Midtown's buildings--and if you keep walking past 14th, you can check out the High Museum. TAP has a limited menu but great bar/scene. I wouldn't call it inexpensive, but hey, you do live in San Fran. It's also very close to Crescent Avenue, which is its own little nightlife district.

--Flying Biscuit at 10th/Piedmont for breakfast. Some call it overrated, but it's undeniably an Atlanta institution.

--If you love burgers, the Vortex at 7th-ish and Peachtree. Another option is the very famous Varsity at Spring/North. It's fast-food, but a true throwback.

--Corner of 10th and Piedmont for the gay scene. Check out Outwrite Books and Blake's. I haven't actually been to Blake's, but if you're just going to walk to one Midtown gay bar while you're in town, this should be just fine.

--Piedmont Park if the weather is nice. Aside from enjoying the park itself, you'll get great views of the Midtown skyline.

--If you want to see Buckhead's skyscrapers up-close, take MARTA to the Buckhead stop. Keep in mind there's not much to do in that part of Buckhead, though, unless you walk to the mall.

Andrea
Nov 1, 2007, 2:21 PM
Most of the gay bars and clubs are located in Midtown along Piedmont Ave north of Tenth Street and along Cheshire Bridge Road. Otherwise they are scattered around the city.

Is Bazzaar the place next door to the Fox at North Avenue and Peachtree? I've been in there several times and didn't realize it was a gay bar.

atl2phx
Nov 1, 2007, 2:33 PM
if you have any desire/interest in southern cooking, you might want to hit mary macs. it's just a few blocks east on ponce from the georgian terrace. some like it, some love it, but it is most definitely an atlanta institution.

i wouldn't call it 'gay' per se, but it is a gay owned business.

http://www.marymacs.com/

trainiac
Nov 1, 2007, 2:55 PM
--Piedmont Park if the weather is nice. Aside from enjoying the park itself, you'll get great views of the Midtown skyline.

This is a must! There's a ridge line along the 10th street side of the park (Oak Hill) with great views and if you have another 15 minutes or so keep heading east and walk the circle around the meadow. Great views of midtown/downtown and good people watching.

Have fun!

sprtsluvr8
Nov 1, 2007, 3:48 PM
Joe's on Juniper and/or Einstein's are two restaurants within walking distance of your hotel that are very popular gay establishments. The food is okay, but the atmosphere at both places is the real draw. Both are located on Juniper, which is parallel to Peachtree about 8 or 9 blocks North from your hotel.

stepper77
Nov 1, 2007, 4:55 PM
Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond. I am getting even more excited about going now. I'm glad to know that I chose a hotel in a good location, I really had no idea other than thinking midtown was somewhat central.

And there are so many good restaurants suggested here that it's a good thing I'm going to be walking everywhere to work of all the good food! A couple of you mentioned Vortex for burgers, so, I might try that. Does anyone have other suggestions for breakfast? I am arriving at like 5:30 in the morning and will probably just hit a Dunkin Donuts for something quick as we don't have those in California. But, I'd like to have a real breakfast the next day before I leave. Vandynole mentioned Flying Biscuit.

Also, is Buckhead worth visiting architecturely? I'm not really going to have any time for shopping, but, I also don't necessarily want to just stick to downtown/midtown depending on how much time I have. I will probably check out Outwrite Bookstore and maybe Blakes just to get my "gay fix", but, I also don't plan on spending my whole time there either.

Thanks again for all the wonderful suggestions, I can't wait!!

L41A
Nov 1, 2007, 8:23 PM
Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond. I am getting even more excited about going now. I'm glad to know that I chose a hotel in a good location, I really had no idea other than thinking midtown was somewhat central.

And there are so many good restaurants suggested here that it's a good thing I'm going to be walking everywhere to work of all the good food! A couple of you mentioned Vortex for burgers, so, I might try that. Does anyone have other suggestions for breakfast? I am arriving at like 5:30 in the morning and will probably just hit a Dunkin Donuts for something quick as we don't have those in California. But, I'd like to have a real breakfast the next day before I leave. Vandynole mentioned Flying Biscuit.

Also, is Buckhead worth visiting architecturely? I'm not really going to have any time for shopping, but, I also don't necessarily want to just stick to downtown/midtown depending on how much time I have. I will probably check out Outwrite Bookstore and maybe Blakes just to get my "gay fix", but, I also don't plan on spending my whole time there either.

For breakfast, and in addition to the Flying Biscuit, the Landmark Diner in the Fairlie-Poplar district on the corner of Luckie Street and Forsyth is an option for breakfast. It's a 24 hour diner and is located near the Peachtree Center MARTA station which is a couple of MARTA stops south from the North Avenue Station near your hotel. You also may consider the Majestic on Ponce de Leon Avenue although its proximity to a MARTA station is not really in walking distance. However, a bus from North Avenue Station is an option.

While near the Peachtree Center Station, you may also want to consider a visit to the King Center on Auburn Avenue which is fairly walkable from the Peachtree Center Station. For a shorter walking distance try the King Memorial Station on the East line. Also, some great photos may be taken from Woodruff Park or Centennial Olympic Park areas. The CNN Center is also in the area next to Centennial Olympic Park.

Buckhead is interesting and is worthy of a visit but Im not sure if you will have enough time in a day to do half (or a quarter) of what has been suggested in the Midtown and Downtown areas.

shanthemanatl
Nov 1, 2007, 11:13 PM
I frequent the Broadway Diner for breakfast. It'll be right across the street from your hotel on Peachtree.

seattlefoo1
Nov 19, 2007, 6:00 PM
I will also be traveling to Atlanta later this month for work....so I thought this would be a good place to post my question. I am into sports and would like to see a Hawks/and or Thrashers game while I am there (both will be in town while I am there). I am not a big fan of buying tickets online because of all the fees....so I would like to buy tickets in person at the arena. Do either of those teams sell their games out? I am trying to figure out if I need to buy tickets ahead of time (online and pay the fees) or if I will be safe just buying them there. Thanks in advance for your help!

trainiac
Nov 19, 2007, 8:15 PM
I will also be traveling to Atlanta later this month for work....so I thought this would be a good place to post my question. I am into sports and would like to see a Hawks/and or Thrashers game while I am there (both will be in town while I am there). I am not a big fan of buying tickets online because of all the fees....so I would like to buy tickets in person at the arena. Do either of those teams sell their games out? I am trying to figure out if I need to buy tickets ahead of time (online and pay the fees) or if I will be safe just buying them there. Thanks in advance for your help!

You'll be fine buying them there (ie they won't be sold out). I think the scalping perimeter ends right around the intersection of Marietta Street and Centennial Olympic Park Blvd (mouthful, huh?). You should find plenty of tickets for sale under the enormous clock by the parking deck there.

If you want a neat treat, walk 100 yards east to the building on the corner of Marietta St. and Spring St. and enter the Glenn Hotel. Take the elevator up to the rooftop bar. You don't have to buy anything up there to take in the view of the downtown skyline, park, CNN Center and Philips Arena.

Have fun

seattlefoo1
Nov 21, 2007, 4:38 PM
You'll be fine buying them there (ie they won't be sold out). I think the scalping perimeter ends right around the intersection of Marietta Street and Centennial Olympic Park Blvd (mouthful, huh?). You should find plenty of tickets for sale under the enormous clock by the parking deck there.

If you want a neat treat, walk 100 yards east to the building on the corner of Marietta St. and Spring St. and enter the Glenn Hotel. Take the elevator up to the rooftop bar. You don't have to buy anything up there to take in the view of the downtown skyline, park, CNN Center and Philips Arena.

Have fun
Thanks for the info trainiac. I will be sure to check out the Glenn Hotel and take some pics. Also, I will try and bring over some of our rain from here in Seattle. I hear you guys need it over there.