PDA

View Full Version : Van Wagner Pedestrian Bridge

SteelTown
Nov 1, 2007, 4:12 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/Bonaducci1/archbridge.jpg

Councillors call for a bridge to the beachB
y Eric McGuinness

The plan is to create a dramatic statement to distract Toronto-bound drivers from bayfront smokestacks and slag piles.

It would safely connect local residents to the lakefront and link with the Beach Recreational Trail and the Bruce Trail through the Red Hill Valley.

To do it, the majority of council's public works committee recommends spending $7.5 million for a curving, "signature gateway" project rather than a simple steel span costing half as much.

Committee members voted 6-2 yesterday to spend $500,000 for a detailed design of the fancier bridge, hoping some of the money will come from upper levels of government, the city's Future Fund, the Lake Ontario Waterfront Regeneration Trust or other sources.

Chris Murray, overseeing construction of the Red Hill Valley Parkway, said a decision is needed now so the Ontario Ministry of Transportation can build the centre support pier on the QEW median this year as part of the parkway interchange project.

Downtown Councillor Bob Bratina said it won't be a gateway to east Hamilton, "because the gateway is where the Stoney Creek sign is" (farther east on the QEW).

Bratina wants the public to decide whether they want an expensive bridge, his fountain proposal in the harbour or some other landmark project.

"Before you commit the dollars, you've got to get the public involved. A lot of east-enders would say spend the money on something else."

Ward 5 Councillor Chad Collins argues the creative design would help counter images of Hamilton's industrial skyline and "everything that's on Eastport Drive."

raisethehammer
Nov 3, 2007, 12:59 PM
Is this being built now along with the final ramp of Red Hill?
I was also told it will be lit up at night.

SteelTown
Nov 4, 2007, 5:40 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/hammer396/pedbridge.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/hammer396/pedbridge1.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/hammer396/pedbridge2.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/hammer396/pedbridge3.jpg

SteelTown
Nov 4, 2007, 5:41 AM
I suppose it's not a proposal.......

Plans for QEW "Gateway" Pedestrian Bridge presented to Public Works Committee

HAMILTON , ON. – April 2, 2007 – As part of Council’s strategic priority, Public Works staff today introduced the design and costs for an enhanced pedestrian bridge crossing the Queen Elizabeth Way in East Hamilton. This bridge, when completed, will link hundreds of kilometres of trail in Southern Ontario, and become a major gateway feature for East Hamilton.

“This bridge will be designed as a unique architectural identifier for East Hamilton, such as the TB McQueston Bridge on York Boulevard, and a key link to connecting the east-west/north-south trails in the area,” said Rob Norman, Manager of Open Space Development and Park Planning.

The pedestrian bridge is proposed to span 300 metres at the top of the former Brampton Street landfill over the QEW ultimately linking to the Hamilton Waterfront Trail. The Ministry of Transportation would undertake construction of the centre pier of the bridge as part of its current contract. The cost of the bridge is forecasted at $6.8 million, however this is intended to be offset with funding partners such as the Ministry of Transportation, the Federal Government and community organizations.

“This bridge will open up more recreational areas to the residents of this community. Not only will it link area trail systems, including the new Red Hill Valley trail, but it also contributes to the Rennie End-Use plan that will introduce more recreational features to the Rennie/Brampton community,” said Chris Murray, Acting Red Hill Valley Project Director.

Completion of the bridge is anticipated for Spring 2009.

raisethehammer
Nov 4, 2007, 2:58 PM
yea, I knew it was a done deal, just not sure when.
wonder why the province wouldn't allow them to put the arch right over the QEW?

HAMRetrofit
Nov 4, 2007, 4:18 PM
Great project. The Arc of the bridge actually looks better over the Red Hill Creek instead of over the highway.

DC83
Nov 5, 2007, 3:07 AM
yea, I knew it was a done deal, just not sure when.
wonder why the province wouldn't allow them to put the arch right over the QEW?

The province wont even allow the City to use it's H logo on the "welcome to Hamilton" sign (remember we had to vote in The Spec?).
I don't understand... but I think I like it better over the creek, too.

raisethehammer
Nov 5, 2007, 1:51 PM
weird...yea, I like this project. They could have easily slapped up a concrete slab bridge at a cheaper cost but chose to take it up a notch considering the prominent location. Good job by council.

SteelTown
Feb 12, 2008, 12:24 AM
Hamilton Enters Provincial Funding Lottery
Feb, 11 2008 - 5:40 PM

Hamilton is hoping the provincial government will pick up the tab, for a cycling and pedestrian bridge over the QEW.

The city is submitting its request for funding of the 14 million dollar East Hamilton Recreational Trail and Waterfront Link project, as part of "ReNew Ontario".

That's a program recently announced by the province, which invites communities to bid for a total of 300 million dollars in municipal infrastructure investment

Submissions are due by Friday.

If the Hamilton project is selected, it would include the construction of a pedestrian gateway over the QEW and the conversion of the former Rennie Street landfill into an active recreational area.

The Waterfront trail would also be extended through the rehabiliated Rennie and Brampton Street landfill sites.

SteelTown
Feb 12, 2008, 12:24 PM
City eyes funding for pedestrian bridge

February 12, 2008
The Hamilton Spectator

The city is asking the province to pay for a pedestrian bridge over the QEW as part of a new infrastructure program.

The government invited all municipalities to apply for special infrastructure funding for one project. City staff compiled a short list of possible projects. The three finalists were restoring Auchmar Estates for $14 million, upgrading part of the Woodward Water Treatment Plant for $30 million or upgrading the East Hamilton recreation trail for $14 million.

The final option scored the highest and staff believes it's most likely to be accepted.

Councillors agreed yesterday.

"It has a lot of sex appeal," said Councillor Chad Collins.

The project includes a pedestrian bridge-gateway feature, new trails and renovation of the former Rennie Street landfill into a recreation area.

The city will know by the end of March if its project is approved.

coalminecanary
Feb 13, 2008, 9:15 PM
THis is pretty cool looking. I still want my gondola though!

markbarbera
Feb 13, 2008, 9:23 PM
I hope the span crossing the QEW is designed with a cover/high walls. I dread that the bridge has the potential to become a suicide magnet, much like the Bloor Street viaduct in Toronto. I know it's a bit morbid, but better that suicide deterrents are incorporated into its initial design, and not implemented years down the road at a much higher cost (financial and social).

SteelTown
Feb 13, 2008, 9:26 PM
The pedestrian bridge over the Linc isn't covered and there's been no suicide.

go_leafs_go02
Feb 13, 2008, 9:51 PM
yeah, make it look ghetto like detroit...great image booster there. and will aid the image of hamilton in a negative manner.

I hate that new overpass in brantford right by Wayne Gretzky parkway on the 403, brand new, and looks like it's from a ghetto.

raisethehammer
Feb 13, 2008, 10:02 PM
I hope the span crossing the QEW is designed with a cover/high walls. I dread that the bridge has the potential to become a suicide magnet, much like the Bloor Street viaduct in Toronto. I know it's a bit morbid, but better that suicide deterrents are incorporated into its initial design, and not implemented years down the road at a much higher cost (financial and social).

not to be morbid either, but if anyone is really at the end of their rope I think they'll continue to use Skyway Bridge nearby. How often do you hear of someone jumping off of a street that crosses a highway?? I've never heard of that.
Sadly, I have a few friends who are cops and they have story after story of suicide on the Skyway Bridge .

coalminecanary
Feb 13, 2008, 10:17 PM
I love how in toronto you can't jump off bloor, but a few transit stops north you can get equally dead off of any number of bridges. Those anti suicide measures are lame. If someone's gonna do it, they are gonna do it whether or not there's a fence.

What I'd be more worried about is hooligans throwing rocks...

HAMRetrofit
Feb 13, 2008, 10:54 PM
^ Better they don't do it on top of the highway and endanger other's lives in the act of taking their own. The Bloor Street viaduct project is not lame. If you or someone you loved were injured by something that could have been so easily prevented I am sure you would understand.

raisethehammer
Feb 14, 2008, 3:20 AM
this is really a non-issue guys. Having lived in the States I can tell you that they have every single bridge covered with fencing to prevent crime - tossing rocks etc....
There's absolutely no need for it here.

BCTed
Feb 14, 2008, 4:01 AM
How often do you hear of someone jumping off of a street that crosses a highway?? I've never heard of that.

Bloor Street Viaduct?

flar
Feb 14, 2008, 4:02 AM
Cootes Drive overpass last year

SteelTown
Feb 14, 2008, 4:40 AM
^ really? I drive over that bridge every day to get to the McMaster parking lot. I'm assuming it's that bridge that lights up at night and over Cootes.

flar
Feb 14, 2008, 4:51 AM
^^That's the bridge. A student from one of the residences jumped last winter.

SteelTown
Feb 14, 2008, 4:59 AM
Wow never knew and I used that bridge last winter as well, must have been during final exam time. I hear a lot more concerns about students crossing Cootes.

flar
Feb 14, 2008, 5:04 AM
Yeah, the speed limit is now 40km/h on Cootes near Mac and there are two traffic lights within a very short distance. Kind of negates the point of having a controlled access highway shortcut into Dundas. Everyone still speeds and students still dart in and out of traffic. They should build a pedestrian bridge or tunnel at Cootes.

SteelTown
Feb 14, 2008, 5:12 AM
There's cops by the lights nearly every single day since the new speed limit came into affect. City is making good money off that reduced speed limit as cops are literally pulling cars after cars over.

I see a new sign at Cootes saying it's Veterans Memorial highway now.

raisethehammer
Feb 14, 2008, 12:21 PM
Cootes Drive is suprising. It's farily low like most bridges over a road.
At any rate, I don't think we need to worry about redesigning this entire bridge because someone might jump off.
If that's the case, then we should fill in the lower city or blow up the Mountain to rid ourselves of the escarpment, just in case someone wants to jump off the edge.

DC83
Feb 14, 2008, 1:37 PM
Bloor Street Viaduct?

http://www.nickelinstitute.org/multimedia/nickel_and_its_uses/nickel_magazine/archives/2003/October/Viaduct_3_450.jpg
http://www.nickelinstitute.org/index.cfm/ci_id/12592.htm

The BSV actually isn't ghetto at all. Infact, I really like the "safety fence". I live near Bloor/Jarvis when I lived in TO, and walked over this bridge a million times to get the the Danforth & a neat 70-style Loblaws right on the other side of the bridge.

It was really neat and the fence actually acted like a peice of art rather than a ghetto fence we often see in the US.

If the QEW Ped Bridge has to have one of these fences, I hope it's similar to the one on the Bloor Street Viaduct!

BCTed
Feb 15, 2008, 3:55 AM
http://www.nickelinstitute.org/multimedia/nickel_and_its_uses/nickel_magazine/archives/2003/October/Viaduct_3_450.jpg
http://www.nickelinstitute.org/index.cfm/ci_id/12592.htm

The BSV actually isn't ghetto at all. Infact, I really like the "safety fence". I live near Bloor/Jarvis when I lived in TO, and walked over this bridge a million times to get the the Danforth & a neat 70-style Loblaws right on the other side of the bridge.

It was really neat and the fence actually acted like a peice of art rather than a ghetto fence we often see in the US.

If the QEW Ped Bridge has to have one of these fences, I hope it's similar to the one on the Bloor Street Viaduct!

I was actually offering the BSV as a reply to raisethehammer's question of "How often do you hear of someone jumping off of a street that crosses a highway?", but good stuff all the same.

raisethehammer
Feb 15, 2008, 4:06 AM
I was actually referring to typical city streets that cross highways such as all the crossings on the QEW, Linc, 403 etc....
Bloor St is unique given it's incredible height over the valley. It makes sense to have a safety fence that high up.

coalminecanary
Feb 26, 2008, 8:22 PM
^ Better they don't do it on top of the highway and endanger other's lives in the act of taking their own. The Bloor Street viaduct project is not lame. If you or someone you loved were injured by something that could have been so easily prevented I am sure you would understand.

I'm sorry, but when my loved ones get into a car, someone committing suicide onto their roof is the least of their worries. It's such a fringe danger, it's ridiculous to waste so much time and effort on preventing it. Why don't we all walk around with robotic lightning rods in tow? I'm sure getting hit by lightning is more likely than getting landed on by a suicide jumper.

Regarding the Bloor viaduct, what makes such little sense is that literally one major block north or south there is an equally deadly bridge you can jump off with no fences. SO aren't you just moving the problem to a different road?

It's lame -- better to hire a psychologist to walk up and down the road all day :rolleyes:

raisethehammer
Feb 26, 2008, 9:31 PM
so true....it's just so American ghetto to have those big fences up.
Believe me, they aren't up there to prevent suicides. It's all the other crap people toss off the overpass in an effort to cause crashes and kill people.

HAMRetrofit
Feb 26, 2008, 10:00 PM
I'm sorry, but when my loved ones get into a car, someone committing suicide onto their roof is the least of their worries. It's such a fringe danger, it's ridiculous to waste so much time and effort on preventing it. Why don't we all walk around with robotic lightning rods in tow? I'm sure getting hit by lightning is more likely than getting landed on by a suicide jumper.

This probability of being jumped on is besides the point of the larger issues.

The problem was that the Bloor Street Viaduct was a popular jumping location and would tie up the DVP for hours after a jump. With the high frequency of jumping at this particular location an intervention needed to be made. The cause for high jump frequency was similar to a moth flying into a lamp. For some psychological reason, jumpers were attracted to this particular location. The other locations that you mention did not tie up the DVP for hours and were not subject to as high of frequency jumping.

The TTC subway is now a popular location for jumping. I wish there could be some type of change made to prevent this. The trauma of these events have a hiccup effect that causes emotional harm on others. Whether or not you believe that your loved ones are safe from being jumped on or not does not spare you from the trauma of the experience. I am uncertain if you have ever witnessed a suicide before, but I can assure you it is awful. Often witnessing an event like this can have long term implications.

It's lame -- better to hire a psychologist to walk up and down the road all day :rolleyes:

To hire a psychologist would have cost $200 an hour at 24 hours a day at 365 days a year for an annual budget of $1,752,000. After a couple of years this already exceeds the cost of the jump protectors.

coalminecanary
Mar 1, 2008, 10:10 PM
The psychologist comment was sarcasm ;)

For the record, I have witnessed the death of a child in my own driveway. I understand the implications of witnessing or being otherwise involved in suicides or other tragedies. I feel for anyone who has gone through that kind of thing. But man, this is life -- there are risks associated with living. You could die on day! Or you could see someone else die! I mean, if we really cared to reduce the number of people who are traumatized by seeing someone die, or if we wanted to reduce delays on the highways because of tragedies, we should start by banning cars. More people witness car accidents than suicide jumps.

And just like I said, the jumpers have just been displaced. So are we to build fences on every bridge and walls at every subway station and enclose all of the railroads in tunnels and cease sale of razor blades and only allow people to buy sleeping pills one at a time and and and and?

Anyway sorry this is way off topic, I just think that the suicide fences are a bit of a joke. Like, how is it supposed to work?
"Life sucks. I think I'll go jump off the bridge this morning. Darn they put a fence up. I guess I'll go to work instead"...? There have got to be better ways to deal with the problem than putting up fences!

raisethehammer
Mar 2, 2008, 4:30 AM
The psychologist comment was sarcasm ;)

For the record, I have witnessed the death of a child in my own driveway. I understand the implications of witnessing or being otherwise involved in suicides or other tragedies. I feel for anyone who has gone through that kind of thing. But man, this is life -- there are risks associated with living. You could die on day! Or you could see someone else die! I mean, if we really cared to reduce the number of people who are traumatized by seeing someone die, or if we wanted to reduce delays on the highways because of tragedies, we should start by banning cars. More people witness car accidents than suicide jumps.

And just like I said, the jumpers have just been displaced. So are we to build fences on every bridge and walls at every subway station and enclose all of the railroads in tunnels and cease sale of razor blades and only allow people to buy sleeping pills one at a time and and and and?

Anyway sorry this is way off topic, I just think that the suicide fences are a bit of a joke. Like, how is it supposed to work?
"Life sucks. I think I'll go jump off the bridge this morning. Darn they put a fence up. I guess I'll go to work instead"...? There have got to be better ways to deal with the problem than putting up fences!

Lol! I love that bit about "I guess I'll go to work instead".
Like Seinfeld's bit about people who try to commit suicide and don't succeed and then don't ever try again.

anyhow, yea, this is way off topic.
Suffice to say, we don't need suicide fencing on this pedestrian bridge.
By the way, when do we find out if/when this thing is actually a go?

SteelTown
Mar 27, 2008, 10:18 PM
Tomorrow a funding announcement will be made from the provincial government, not sure if Premier Dalton will make the announcement. A post-budget announcement.

$14 million towards the bridge and park development. YAY!!!

SteelTown
Mar 27, 2008, 10:50 PM
Province To Fund Pedestrian Bridge Over QEW
3/27/2008

Another major provincial announcement is expected on Friday in Hamilton.

CHML news has learned that a news conference will be held at the Marine Discovery Center at 3 o'clock, to confirm funding of a cycling and pedestrian bridge over the QEW, as part of the ReNew Ontario program.

Ward 4 Councillor Sam Merulla first presented the idea six years ago. City Council voted to request provincial funding of it during a meeting in mid-February.

In addition to the construction of a signature bridge over the QEW in the city's east end, the 14 million dollar project also calls for the conversion of the former Rennie Street landfill into an active recreational area.

The waterfront trail will also be extended through the rehabiliated Rennie and Brampton Street landfill sites.

raisethehammer
Mar 27, 2008, 11:01 PM
awesome...let's hope construction doesn't take another 6 years.
no wonder things take forever to do around here. Bogota builds a great BRT system and bike system in 3 years. we take 6 years just to fund a 14 million dollar bridge....probably another year or two before it's done. 8 year project. wow. welcome to north america.

thistleclub
Mar 28, 2008, 1:33 AM
awesome...let's hope construction doesn't take another 6 years.
no wonder things take forever to do around here. Bogota builds a great BRT system and bike system in 3 years. we take 6 years just to fund a 14 million dollar bridge....probably another year or two before it's done. 8 year project. wow. welcome to north america.

The problem is that most people don't factor in Merulla's years in the wilderness (unless they happen to be on his press release list, in which case they'll get regular reminders of how far out in front of everyone his thinking is). They caught wind of the bridge around this time last year when council approved the project, then forgot about it again until last month, when it became a news story again. So they see a compacted timeline of anywhere from 1-12 months. Anyway, I hope the bridge turns out well. That end of town isn't particularly accommodating to pedestrians and cyclists.

Less excited about the idea of a Rennie Street Landfill Play Zone.

SteelTown
Mar 28, 2008, 2:15 AM
City gets $14 million for new landmark pedestrian bridge

http://media.hamiltonspectator.com/images/e4/84/bba93f9344d1a40c3576fc78cd6d.jpeg
March 27, 2008
By DANIEL NOLAN

HAMILTON – The Ontario government is set to give $14 million to Hamilton to help build a splashy eye-catching pedestrian bridge over the Queen Elizabeth Way in east Hamilton.

The funds, coming from $300 million geared to infrastructure, are to be unveiled by local Liberal MPPs Ted McMeekin and Sophia Aggelonitis at the Marine Discovery Centre Friday afternoon.

“I want to thank Premier Dalton McGuinty and the Ontario government for recognizing how merited this initiative is,” said Ward 4 Councillor Sam Merulla, who first pushed council to make a “gateway” bridge a priority in 2004. “I’m very pleased and it’s a good day for the east end of Hamilton.”

Merulla said about $8 million will go towards building the bridge and the rest is slated for new trails and renovation of the former Rennie Street landfill into a recreation area.

He couldn’t say when construction will start, but said it couldn’t start soon enough.

The bridge is to be built over the QEW between Burlington Street and Centennial Parkway.

It will link the Beach Recreational Trail and the Bruce Trail through the Red Hill Valley.

SteelTown
Mar 28, 2008, 2:17 AM
Less excited about the idea of a Rennie Street Landfill Play Zone.

Millions were spent during the construction of the Red Hill to remove all the landfill from Rennie.

raisethehammer
Mar 28, 2008, 2:52 AM
great looking bridge....will light up at night too.

thistleclub
Mar 28, 2008, 12:12 PM
Millions were spent during the construction of the Red Hill to remove all the landfill from Rennie.

I was being cheeky but could've used an emoticon. I know the Rennie history and I'm aware that other landfills (eg. Kay Drage, Bayfront Park) have been successfully used for recreational ends. It's practical land stewardship with powerful symbolic value and it makes sense in conjunction with the bridge – gives people an additional destination on a very connected trail.

DC83
Mar 28, 2008, 12:21 PM
^^ There's also the Heritage Green Sports Park up at Mud / Isaac Brock in Upp SC. That half used to be a dump as well... now it's a huge sportsplex and looks great. The city certainly has done a lot of good things with old dumps.

This bridge is great and I also hope it takes less than 5 years to get built. But this IS Hamilton afterall ;)

I love the Beachfront Trail, and this will be a great addition! I can't wait for the day one can walk/run/bike/blade/stroll ALL around the bay on one, continuous trail!

SteelTown
Mar 28, 2008, 12:39 PM
The bridge is suppose to be up by Spring of 2009.

DC83
Mar 28, 2008, 12:48 PM
Is this the right spot?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/DC_83/bridge.jpg

SteelTown
Mar 28, 2008, 12:52 PM
Yea that looks about right.

northender98
Apr 20, 2008, 9:54 PM
Hi All,
I wanted to introduce an idea that could connect confederation park trails to downtown Hamilton and Princess Point (West End). I noticed that the proposed bridge will connect to Globe park which is a short distance to the train tracks that run parallel to Barton street. My suggestion would be that the city put up a chain link fence along the tracks for safety allowing bicyclists to travel a path going west and then through Ferguson street to the downtown as well as Bayfront park and eventually Princess Point. I don't know where to start in introducing this idea to city officials. If any of you reading this feel it is an interesting idea, please feel free to contact city officials or offer suggestions. Thanks.
Northender

the dude
Apr 21, 2008, 6:39 AM
i'm always in favour of more bike paths. would this be using city or cn property?

NuclearNerd
Apr 21, 2008, 7:13 AM
Why stop at Ferguson? I posted a few years back that we should put a trail right accross to Stoney Creek, then over the new pedestrian bridge to reconnect with the waterfront trail. There are so many neat "back of old factory" spots along the route that it would make a really cool heritage route, plaques and all.

I had Bob Bratina's ear for a time, and I think he did a little digging, but I'm not sure what the block was (I assume it would be hard to get the land from CP)

Hi All,
I wanted to introduce an idea that could connect confederation park trails to downtown Hamilton and Princess Point (West End). I noticed that the proposed bridge will connect to Globe park which is a short distance to the train tracks that run parallel to Barton street. My suggestion would be that the city put up a chain link fence along the tracks for safety allowing bicyclists to travel a path going west and then through Ferguson street to the downtown as well as Bayfront park and eventually Princess Point. I don't know where to start in introducing this idea to city officials. If any of you reading this feel it is an interesting idea, please feel free to contact city officials or offer suggestions. Thanks.
Northender

SteelTown
Oct 9, 2008, 11:29 AM
East Hamilton Trail and Waterfront Link

http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/CityandGovernment/ProjectsInitiatives/RedHill/East+Hamilton+Trail+and+Waterfront+Link.htm

raisethehammer
Oct 9, 2008, 1:08 PM
when is construction???

SteelTown
Oct 9, 2008, 1:13 PM
Early 2009 and should be finished by 2010, that includes Rennie Park redevelopment. Thanks to provincal money.

flar
Oct 9, 2008, 3:26 PM
Check out this new pedestrian bridge that connects two states: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=158582

raisethehammer
Oct 9, 2008, 3:42 PM
wow...that is awesome!! I wish we'd do stuff like that here.

Omaha looks pretty decent...the downtown looks good from the skyline shots anyhow.

I'm always reminded of the movie Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - "Lady Fannie of Omaha!"

SteelTown
Oct 31, 2008, 1:09 AM
I guess they decided to name the bridge, Van Wagner Pedestrian Bridge.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v343/208/98/664610742/n664610742_2021953_4063.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v343/208/98/664610742/n664610742_2021952_3113.jpg

SteelTown
Dec 2, 2008, 12:16 PM
One red-hot design for pedestrian bridge
Gateway over QEW to be 'unique colour'

December 02, 2008
Special to the Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/475401
http://media.hamiltonspectator.topscms.com/images/b4/84/9aea1ccc4059a901a623ff163b3f.jpeg

Hamilton's new pedestrian bridge over the QEW will be a vision in red.

City staff told councillors yesterday that the planned bridge, which will also serve as a gateway feature, should be painted an earthy red to make it stand out from the backdrop of the highway and wetlands.

The original plan called for white, like the Humber River pedestrian bridge in Toronto.

"We need a unique colour to Hamilton," said city staffer Steve Barnhart, noting the colour will be similar to that of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

Barnhart said red better symbolizes the city's steel heritage and the soil in the Red Hill Valley.

The pedestrian bridge, which will span 300 metres over the highway from the former Brampton Street landfill to the waterfront, is to be paid for by a $14-million grant from the province.

The grant will also pay for trail improvements.

Annual maintenance of the bridge is expected to cost anywhere from $250,000 to $400,000.

The city hopes to find a contractor to build the bridge by next spring. It will take another year to fabricate the steel structure.

The grand opening is planned for 2010.

"I really appreciate the design," said Mayor Fred Eisenberger, noting the special attention to nighttime lighting on the bridge. "I think it looks terrific."

Councillor Tom Jackson agreed, suggesting the gateway will help "change the overall image of our city."

SteelTown
Dec 2, 2008, 1:48 PM
I'm very pumped and excited about this new bridge. I think it's going to be great, especially with the red colour.

I saw an animated fly over of the bridge, I'll try to find it and post it here.

SteelTown
Dec 2, 2008, 1:52 PM
I changed the title of the thread to Van Wagner Pedestrian Bridge, since that will be the name of the new pedestrian bridge.

Anyone know the history of Van Wagner?

LikeHamilton
Dec 2, 2008, 4:14 PM
[B]http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/475401
http://media.hamiltonspectator.topscms.com/images/b4/84/9aea1ccc4059a901a623ff163b3f.jpeg"

The concrete bridge abutment at the right in the picture has already been built by MTO as they work on the QEW & Red Hill Connection.

FairHamilton
Dec 2, 2008, 4:37 PM
I'm riding it the first weekend it's open!!!

astroblaster
Dec 2, 2008, 4:55 PM
from what i remember:

The Van Wagners were a Loyalist family who owned farmland in northern Stoney Creek/Saltfleet township, around the area of the beach.

MsMe
Dec 2, 2008, 6:02 PM
I wonder if this new bridge will make it easier for the around the bay race?

astroblaster
Dec 2, 2008, 6:15 PM
I wonder if this new bridge will make it easier for the around the bay race?

where does it go now? eastport ?

MsMe
Dec 2, 2008, 6:25 PM
where does it go now? eastport ?

Not sure where it's going to connect. I wonder if we can find a site on that. I know it has been mentioned it will connect to the waterfront trail. Doesn't the waterfront trail go around most of the bay?

MsMe
Dec 2, 2008, 6:37 PM
I found this site on it. I was totally mixed up on where it was going to go. Anyhow this is a good site about it. I wished that one pic was larger though.
It will be good when it's done. :)

http://www.myhamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/C8C75FDD-CE76-463F-8545-A478A86E6DCB/0/NewsletterNovember2005.pdf

SteelTown
Sep 15, 2009, 2:07 AM
Pedestrian Bridge Moves Forward

Ken Mann
9/14/2009
http://www.900chml.com/Channels/Reg/NewsLocalGeneral/Story.aspx?ID=1139831

We're about one year away from the completion of a new pedestrian bridge over the QEW in Hamilton's east end.

Dufferin Construction has started preliminary work on the project, doing some excavating at the old Brampton Street landfill site.

Gary Moore, a spokesman with the city's public works department, adds that the necessary approvals are also in place from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans and the Hamilton Conservation Authority.

He adds that fabrication of the 80 mete long span itself will take the most time since it has to be put together, then taken apart again and shipped to the site in three large pieces.

The pedestrian bridge is being built thanks to a 14 million dollar grant from the provincial government, which also includes money to build new trails and other amenities on the north side of the QEW.

The project is scheduled for completion next September.

Jon D
Aug 18, 2010, 11:27 PM
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/2567/dsc00181j.jpg

sorry about the poor quality...cellphone camera. Looks like its coming along nicely though...

markbarbera
Aug 19, 2010, 1:18 PM
This has got to be the slowest-moving bridge construction project in the history of the province. It has been at least a year since the piers for the bridge went in. Does anyone know what the holdup is on this thing?

coalminecanary
Aug 19, 2010, 1:42 PM
I'm assuming it's a question of priority. The aberdeen overpass was installed over a weekend.

Jon D
Aug 19, 2010, 11:16 PM
The article posted above from last september mentions fabrication was supposed to take a long time. I can believe this, as these aren't exactly stock steel shapes you can order from a catalogue like for some boring overpasses. There's actually a fair bit of complexity and uniqueness to this design. It must have been a challenge to design and build. I like it!

markbarbera
Aug 20, 2010, 2:36 PM
The central arch was in position but was recently removed. Must have been incorrectly designed and prepared. My grandpa used to always say "measure twice, cut once!"

I am trying to understand why the focal point is positioned so deeply offset from the highway. It is as if the designers want the drivers' eyesight to be distracted both upward and off to the side of the highway. I'm wondering if any consideration was given to the impact it will have on the accident rates along this stretch of highway.

mishap
Aug 20, 2010, 4:02 PM
I am trying to understand why the focal point is positioned so deeply offset from the highway. It is as if the designers want the drivers' eyesight to be distracted both upward and off to the side of the highway.
From what I read, the MTO did not want the arch over their highway, as they felt that would have been a distraction. I'm thinking the location of the arch puts it over city lands. Yeah, I can't see how the "look-over-here" approach makes it safer.

SteelTown
Nov 16, 2010, 12:17 PM
QEW walkway provides missing link between city’s waterfront, east end

Teri Pecoskie
http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/276342--qew-walkway-provides-missing-link-between-city-s-waterfront-east-end

From its clay-red hue to its slanted steel arch, the new pedestrian bridge spanning the QEW and Red Hill Creek was designed to reflect the city and capture its unique character.

And in just a few weeks, Hamiltonians will be able to see the city’s new landmark firsthand, as construction on the project wraps up.

“The community has been waiting a long time for this,” said Marco Oddi, senior project manager for the public works department. “Hamilton has some wonderful trail systems and this was always the missing link.”

Unlike other areas of the city, such as Cootes Paradise and Dundas, the heavily industrial east end has long been alienated from green space, separated from the Lake Ontario waterfront by old landfills and a tangle of high-speed roadways.

But with the construction of the new bridge, residents will soon have easy access to an expansive system of trails of parklands, without ever having to risk life and limb on busy city streets to get there.

“For us in the east end, we’ve always been looking for a better connection to the waterfront,” said Councillor Chad Collins. “It’s a huge boost for our image.”

“I think the bridge is symbolic that we’re making significant upgrades in the east end and in the city.”

The $14-million project, which was funded by a municipal infrastructure grant from the province, is the last piece of a continuous system that connects the Bruce Trail to the Waterfront Trail through the Red Hill Valley Trail.

The bridge — a 200-metre-long Z-shaped structure that traverses 12 lanes of traffic — is the centrepiece of the plan, but extending the existing Red Hill Valley Trail and creating paved, accessible pathways from the foot of Brampton Street to the waterfront was also a key concern for developers.

As was the design of the bridge itself, which city officials wanted to act as a unique gateway to Hamilton — something that would catch the eye and delineate the city from the surrounding urban sprawl.

“The city wanted some sort of signature structure and in the end the tilted arch was the one we preferred,” said Bob Stofko, senior project manager for Mississauga-based engineering and transportation consulting firm, McCormick Rankin Corporation.

“You don’t see a lot of these around. It’s a pretty unique style and design.”

According to Stofko, who oversaw the plans for the bridge, the material and hue of the structure were also chosen with Hamilton in mind.

The steel was selected to “reflect the steel in the city” and the “fireweed red” colour — the exact tint used on San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge — resembles the clay cliffs throughout the Red Hill Valley, Stofko said.

Other aspects of the structure, such as the angled, irregular spokes on the handrails, were designed to cast shadows that mimic the grasses in the wetlands below.

The bridge and surrounding trails were initially expected to be complete and open to the public by the end of October, but city officials say a string of setbacks have delayed the opening until early December.

Gary Moore, director of engineering services for the public works department, said a scheduling conflict dating back to June is ultimately what put the project off track.

“The bridge was fabricated in Dartmouth, N.S., so it had to be shipped in parts on oversized loads, and that needs a police escort,” he explained.

But for the two weeks leading up to the G20 conference in Toronto — the time period during which the massive steel arch and girders were slated for transport — there were no OPP officers available to accompany the load from the Ontario border to Hamilton.

“That put them behind on delivery by two weeks,” he said. “Then, when they tried to put it up, they ran into a problem erecting the arch, which took about another 10 days to resolve.”

As for why the steel was trucked in from the East Coast rather than sourced locally, city officials said no companies in the area could match the bid. Most of the contracts on the project, however, such as concrete, asphalt, hand rails and labour, were awarded to businesses in the Hamilton area.

Setbacks to the bridge’s construction weren’t the only thing city planners and engineers had to worry about — they were also faced with the difficult challenge of building a structure within an environmentally sensitive and protected wetland.

Jim Stollard, board member and past president of the Hamilton Naturalists Club, said he recognized the negative effect the construction would have on the area in the early stages of the project.

In fact, he said his group opposed the initial plan for the site, which involved routing the trail through Van Wagner’s pond.

“It still has had some deleterious effects because the construction has removed some previously existing wetland areas,” Stollard said. “But you can always mitigate some of the effects that you’ve caused by planting natural species and making efforts to screen sensitive areas from pathways.”

City officials said this was taken into consideration during the planning stages and a portion of the project’s budget will be devoted to restoring the wetlands once construction is done.

The Naturalists Club isn’t alone in speaking out against the bridge. City Councillor and mayor-elect Bob Bratina also criticized the project in his recent election campaign, saying the funds should have been devoted to remediating Beasley Park, a contaminated inner-city green space, instead.

Environmental and political concerns notwithstanding, the bridge and surrounding trail systems are poised to bring positive change to a neighbourhood that has been all but cut off from the recreational and social opportunities the waterfront affords.

For Steve Miazga, chief administrative officer for the Hamilton Conservation Authority, the new link will not only promote active living, but benefit local businesses as well.

“It’s a great boon for the community,” he said.

By the numbers

76: the tilt, in degrees, of the bridge’s signature arch.

12: the number of lanes of traffic the bridge will traverse over the QEW.

200: the length, in metres, of the bridge’s deck.

14,000,000: the budget, in dollars, for the East Hamilton Recreational Trail and Waterfront Link.

7,600,000: the cost, in dollars, for the bridge alone.

1996: the year in which the idea for a pedestrian pathway across the QEW was initially raised.

2008: the year in which construction formally started on the project.

mishap
Nov 17, 2010, 5:01 AM
"City Councillor and mayor-elect Bob Bratina also criticized the project in his recent election campaign, saying the funds should have been devoted to remediating Beasley Park, a contaminated inner-city green space, instead."

...or sticking a fountain in the Bay?

SteelTown
Feb 23, 2011, 4:01 PM
http://media.mmgdailies.topscms.com/images/7b/14/df3c51ea4346a979c77c7e4a1d68.jpeg
John Rennison/The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/news/business/article/490777--city-s-growth-to-slow-this-year

ganjavih
Feb 26, 2011, 12:41 PM
http://media.mmgdailies.topscms.com/images/40/77/a83329054839a40476a3e20e926f.jpeg

http://www.thespec.com/print/article/276342

Old article but nice photo.