PDA

You are viewing a trimmed-down version of the SkyscraperPage.com discussion forum.  For the full version follow the link below.

View Full Version : Conestoga Mall Expansion & Renovations | 8 m | 1 fl | U/C

Pages : 1 [2]

_jyp
Oct 16, 2009, 6:18 PM
So basically the mall still not that good then ?
are there any good stores at least?

rapid_business
Oct 16, 2009, 6:22 PM
/\ /\ Probably not. Both of those stores require a larger CRU space then currently exists in the mall. Usually 12k - 20k sq. ft.

Duke-Of-Waterloo
Oct 17, 2009, 6:19 PM
I'm sure Duke is going to go ape-shit and post a dozen pictures of it, measuring it's opening to the second coming of christ for the region. Ha!

hahahaha thanks Onishenko and Cambridgeite. I read on the 570 news website that "the expansion, featuring a new location for The Bay, a new food court, and new retail stores, is being called the best thing that's happened to Waterloo in years by community leaders." That's all I needed to hear. :P

/\ /\ Probably not. Both of those stores require a larger CRU space then currently exists in the mall. Usually 12k - 20k sq. ft.

There actually is still a large vacant CRU, poised to either have an H&M or XXI sign a lease for it. I think mall owners anticipated an H&M opening there in time for the new expansion, but the deal fell through. This is evident from the job posting that WatDot posted on here a few months ago for an H&M opening in Kitchener-Waterloo for fall 2009. We will probably see some large store open here in the spring.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2417/xxilargecru.jpg

rapid_business
Oct 17, 2009, 6:34 PM
/\ Hmmm... didn't see that large vacant space. Interesting...

_jyp
Oct 19, 2009, 4:55 AM
They should take out some stores like
Winners. Put a better store in there that would get lots of business and attract more people. The stores in this mall aren't that great.

diegaxo
Oct 19, 2009, 5:01 AM
Can anyone explain me why movie theaters in Canada are usually detached from the mall itself? In Mexico and other parts of the world the theaters are inside the mall, which in my opinion is way better and it would work better for here considering the harsh winter. Is it because stores close very early compared to the movies?

rapid_business
Oct 19, 2009, 12:10 PM
/\ You asked this before, and it's not the case (the rule). I can think of dozens of malls that have their movie theaters integrated into the mall in Toronto... Edmonton... Calgary... Vancouver... Winnipeg...

However, modern movie theaters in Canada tend to be built in a power centre setting, which warrents lots of parking. They also have moved to a theater seating format, and more theathers then 3, 6, etc. therefore require larger footprints then malls have available. Lots of new theaters have been built over the past 10-15 years in Canada that have replaced these older, smaller theaters in the mall, with the larger ones you see now.

However, in different settings, (more urban formats [think the new AMC at Yonge & Dundas] or in malls where the owner helps pay for a major expansion [West Edmonton Mall circa 1996]) new theaters are being built in malls. Otherwise they are built in power centres with large fields of parking around them.

Removing people from outside isn't the answer. (And I don't think the short walk to the food court and mall form the theater in question is anything of concern.) Malls have failed in this regard as they were suppose to be salvation of retail in harsh climates. But they were a destination people drove to and from, killing our street life, and replacing it with something fictitious.

My suggestion. Watch movies at the Princess Twin in Uptown. Great theater, great cafe, great price (with membership card) and shows a selection of the better new releases while leaving 'Crank 2' et al. on the curb.

diegaxo
Oct 19, 2009, 1:24 PM
/\ You asked this before, and it's not the case (the rule). I can think of dozens of malls that have their movie theaters integrated into the mall in Toronto... Edmonton... Calgary... Vancouver... Winnipeg...

However, modern movie theaters in Canada tend to be built in a power centre setting, which warrents lots of parking. They also have moved to a theater seating format, and more theathers then 3, 6, etc. therefore require larger footprints then malls have available. Lots of new theaters have been built over the past 10-15 years in Canada that have replaced these older, smaller theaters in the mall, with the larger ones you see now.

However, in different settings, (more urban formats [think the new AMC at Yonge & Dundas] or in malls where the owner helps pay for a major expansion [West Edmonton Mall circa 1996]) new theaters are being built in malls. Otherwise they are built in power centres with large fields of parking around them.

Removing people from outside isn't the answer. (And I don't think the short walk to the food court and mall form the theater in question is anything of concern.) Malls have failed in this regard as they were suppose to be salvation of retail in harsh climates. But they were a destination people drove to and from, killing our street life, and replacing it with something fictitious.

My suggestion. Watch movies at the Princess Twin in Uptown. Great theater, great cafe, great price (with membership card) and shows a selection of the better new releases while leaving 'Crank 2' et al. on the curb.

Oh I didn't remember I asked it before, sorry about that. I know removing people from outside isn't the answer and I know malls kill street life, I'm a planner too David! And I also hate big box stores obviously so I try to buy in Uptown whenever possible, for example Words Worth books instead of Chapters.

rapid_business
Oct 19, 2009, 1:43 PM
/\ lol... i know. It isn't a d*ck measuring contest, I'm just saying, I think the whole concept of integrating anything into malls is a dead idea circa 1975. (like the museum...haha) Reinvestment in malls is a good short term strategy for holding companies, but unless integrated better (Oakridges in Vancouver) to other uses and more urban formats, won't be successful in 25+ years.

WatDot
Oct 19, 2009, 1:55 PM
Winners. Put a better store in there that would get lots of business and attract more people. The stores in this mall aren't that great.

Are you nuts?! Winners is one of the busier stores in the mall. I bet they do better business than the Bay.

That large space was intended for H&M, but no one seems to know the status of that now and it is vacant. A friend has been working (construction) on the mall and they don't know what's up with that space now. Style Sense would do well at this mall. As an off shoot of Winners, I could see the mall owners attracting them. Oakville Place and Mapleview are owned by the same people. Look for the same stores here in Waterloo. So far it's true.

razzie13
Oct 19, 2009, 9:19 PM
A source I have within the mall says it's likely going to be XX1. They have also said that the old food court will become a new play area for children.

bauer123
Oct 19, 2009, 9:27 PM
forever 21 would be nice just for the fact that they hardly have any Canadian stores. Maybe once it does well other stores will setup base like Lululemon and Hollister, etc..

Better then half the stores they get that are in every single mall in every single city...

_jyp
Oct 20, 2009, 5:22 AM
If they put an XXI in that would be good. It will bring bring alot of business because one thing its cheap, and it has good style.

I highly doubt Conestoga guna get the same stores as maple view
because the stores in there are high class, Conestoga mall isn't really there yet
fairview park mall is even more high class...

zanate
Oct 20, 2009, 4:38 PM

Dude, I buy most of my clothes at Winners.

Duke-Of-Waterloo
Oct 31, 2009, 3:36 AM
Grand Opening Photo's from Conestoga Mall's Facebook Page: (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Waterloo-ON/Conestoga-Mall/131884907788)

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6988/catered.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6582/ribbond.jpg

Ontario1
Nov 4, 2009, 2:03 AM
Those pipes/roof supports in the food court are not very attractive. I grabbed a bite in there tonight and I kept thinking.....sewer pipes. The seating is kind of cheap looking too. It doesn't look like it will wear well. I guess time will tell.

Cambridgite
Nov 4, 2009, 2:13 AM
I didn't pay much attention to the ceiling pipes, but I'm very impressed with the food court overall. There are a lot of neat food places in there, and it's the best food court in the region as far as I'm concerned. They even have Spring Rolls!! That's high class. The food court is very open concept as well.

watmeer
Nov 4, 2009, 3:51 AM
I didn't pay much attention to the ceiling pipes, but I'm very impressed with the food court overall. There are a lot of neat food places in there, and it's the best food court in the region as far as I'm concerned. They even have Spring Rolls!! That's high class. The food court is very open concept as well.

I have to say I'm not usually a big fan of malls but I give full marks to Conestoga Mall for the upgrades. The new addition looks great, very tastefully done and the foodcourt actually is inviting enough to want to have lunch there! A very good selection of restaurants as well.

Duke-Of-Waterloo
Nov 5, 2009, 2:19 PM
Shoppers Drug Mart will be relocating in the mall to where the old Boathouse and Jacob stores used to be (and before that Bi-Way). I know Shoppers was disappointed that they lost their receiving door outside when the expansion wrapped around that end of the mall. I’m not sure if they will add a small addition to allow for Shoppers to have their own customer entrance outside as well here so that they can build an open-‘til-midnight store. I hope they do though, so that the façade of this end of the mall starts to match the new expansion. This is good too, as it keeps with the company's goal of upgrading all old format stores by 2012 I think...

WatDot
Nov 5, 2009, 4:56 PM
You know too much Duke! Be careful, "they'll" come for you soon.
But seriously.... people working on the construction had no idea what they are doing with those two vacant stores. Now I know. Thanks to the Jedi! Interesting change that adds to the excitement which is long overdue at this Mall.

VIS
Nov 6, 2009, 4:25 PM
My first post. I hope you like the pictures.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8632/31585301.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3806/84741916.jpg

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2797/26937272.jpg

metropolis
Nov 7, 2009, 6:03 AM
Those are great CAD drawings VIS. Do you know if those multi angled beams that show up in purple in the drawings are load bearing or strictly decorative? I love the way they meet the ceiling in real life. A great visual accomplishment!

VIS
Nov 8, 2009, 4:05 AM
Main purpose of those beams (pipes) is Architectural feature although they provide some additional support for roof beams at the same time.

Duke-Of-Waterloo
Nov 25, 2009, 3:33 AM
As per Oliver & Bonacini's Twitter Page (http://twitter.com/Oliver_Bonacini), they will be opening at Conestoga on November 27th.

As a side note, I am really impressed with some of the restaurants that are opening soon in Waterloo - O&B, Spring Rolls, Bauer Kitchen, Moxies...these are definitely great additions to the Region. :tup: You also have your franchises/roadhouses seen elsewhere in the Region that are opening, or have recently opened in Waterloo - Cora's, another Boston Pizza, and a Crabby Joes on University Avenue.

Cambridgite
Nov 25, 2009, 3:37 AM
As per Oliver & Bonacini's Twitter Page (http://twitter.com/Oliver_Bonacini), they will be opening at Conestoga on November 27th.

As a side note, I am really impressed with some of the restaurants that are opening soon in Waterloo - O&B, Spring Rolls, Bauer Kitchen, Moxies...these are definitely great additions to the Region. :tup: You also have your franchises/roadhouses seen elsewhere in the Region that are opening, or have recently opened in Waterloo - Cora's, another Boston Pizza, and a Crabby Joes on University Avenue.

Where on University Avenue is Crabby Joe's opening?

Duke-Of-Waterloo
Nov 25, 2009, 3:43 AM
/\ @ 65 University Avenue East. That's in the plaza by Weber & University where King Street Trio is. If I could guess, unfortunately I would think that Crabby Joes is replacing King Street Trio. :(

Here is where I found out: I noticed an ad (http://www.therecord.com/pdfs/20091121/E02.pdf) in the Classified section of The Record on Saturday for a Crabby Joes franchise opportunity in Waterloo.

TripleQ
Nov 25, 2009, 8:51 PM
/\ @ 65 University Avenue East. That's in the plaza by Weber & University where King Street Trio is. If I could guess, unfortunately I would think that Crabby Joes is replacing King Street Trio. :(

That would be a real downer.. King St Trio has been in this area for longer than I can remember. I do recall them offering a lot of 1/2 price specials and such recently, not a good sign.

Duke-Of-Waterloo
Dec 11, 2009, 1:39 AM
Looks like the possibility of an H&M opening at Conestoga Mall is moving forward and back on.

There's various job postings on their website for a new store opening in Kitchener-Waterloo, like this one (https://hm.myvurv.taleo.net/main/careerportal/job_profile.cfm?szOrderID=10595).

gghtransit
Dec 11, 2009, 3:17 AM
That would be a real downer.. King St Trio has been in this area for longer than I can remember. I do recall them offering a lot of 1/2 price specials and such recently, not a good sign.

I remember when King Street Trio was at the corner of King/College where the Shoppers Drug Mart is now, even ate there once...where does the time go?

WatDot
Dec 13, 2009, 2:10 PM
Looks like the possibility of an H&M opening at Conestoga Mall is moving forward and back on.

There's various job postings on their website for a new store opening in Kitchener-Waterloo, like this one (https://hm.myvurv.taleo.net/main/careerportal/job_profile.cfm?szOrderID=10595).

Apparently H&M and that Forever 21 (XXI) were battling over who would take over the spot in front of the restaurants (O&B and Spring Rolls)... as per Contractors working on the mall. Since then, as you Duke pointed out, Shoppers is slated to be relocated over by Zellers. I think both of these retailers are being accommodated now by Ivanhoe. One will be located in the old foodcourt/space Shoppers is vacating, which is a huge space btw and the other in the area in front of the restaurants. That's my guess at least.

myfaceisonfire
Jan 4, 2010, 5:58 PM
I was at the mall the other day and noticed quite a few vacancies. I realize some of these are due to relocations, but it seems a number of other stores have closed up shop, and all at around the same time. Did the mall raise rent or were these stores just hoping to ride out the christmas rush as long as they could? Two mainstays have closed, Scholar's choice and Japan Camera, as well as a few of the other smaller stores.

Duke-Of-Waterloo
Jan 4, 2010, 7:44 PM
/\ A little combination of everything you mention, plus some additional factors. The main reason for all the vacancies is the re-merchandising and re-branding of the mall plus the fact that many existing stores chose to relocate to the new expansion. Some of the more local independent stores decided not to renew their lease because it was just too expensive, and other old and tired stores did not have their lease renewed in favour of bringing in new and exciting tenants to their units. My guess too is that December 31 is a common date for leases to expire. This in turn gave these tenants the chance to milk the Christmas season for all it was worth and then liquidate their inventory on Boxing Day/Week before closeout at the end of the month. Many of the vacated stores also had temporary tenants come in just for the Christmas Season.

This is a perfect time to do this as January is typically a very slow month for retail. Sales volumes will have minimal disruptions, and improvements will be all ready when things get busier in March or so.

If you notice where Japan Camera was, there are four vacancies in a row, suggesting a new tenant or two is coming in. I don't think this is a just a coincidence. This wing of the mall in my opinion looks the most shabby and tired and is in desperate need of remerchandising. Also where the old La Senza was, the Zacks store's lease expired, leaving room for new tenants. If I can recall, the mall expects to have about 15 new stores open by Spring 2010, including H&M.

LNahid2000
Jan 5, 2010, 8:27 AM

WatDot
Jan 13, 2010, 2:30 PM
I honestly don't care about H&M but it is good news for Conestoga Mall and relevant to this thread:

H&M, the international design-driven clothing retailer, will open a new store in Waterloo at Conestoga Mall in Spring 2010. The new store will occupy over 15,000 square feet and will carry a wide range of fashion for women, men, teenagers and children.

H&M currently has 52 stores in Canada including 25 in Ontario. H&M was established in Sweden in 1947. Today there are around 1800 H&M stores on 35 markets.

H&M has a wide product range that is divided into a number of different concepts for women, men, teenagers, children and cosmetics.

http://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news/article/199587

WatDot
Jan 13, 2010, 2:36 PM
I do like the Spring Rolls restaurant. Thought it was your typical North American chain, but the story behind it is a great one. Speaks a lot to politics and the whole "refugee/immigration" debate. Great success, glad to have one in Waterloo. Wish the family continued prosperity.

Springing up
Popular GTA chain Spring Rolls ventures west with Waterloo location
By Charlotte Prong Parkhill, Chronicle Staff
Business
Jan 13, 2010

Thai Hua arrived in Canada 30 years ago, one of the first wave of “boat people” who left Vietnam.

With his sister, an uncle and his family, he fled Vietmam and crossed to Malaysia in a small boat. When they arrived offshore, they were relieved to see people coming out to meet them.

“We were naïve. We thought they were coming out to help us,” Thai said. Instead, they were pulled further out to sea and abandoned. With only one of their motors still working, the family limped back to shore a second time and sank their boat themselves. They were then beaten and robbed before being taken to a UN refugee camp. Six months later, they arrived in Canada. It was Halloween.

“We thought, ‘Wow! Party town,” Thai said. “And I have loved Canada since the beginning.”

This is the country where the Hua family started a thriving business, one that has been successful in Toronto for over a decade and recently set up shop in Waterloo.

Spring Rolls opened its 13th and 14th locations at Conestoga Mall just before Christmas. Spring Rolls Go is in the food court, and there is a separate dine-in location with an entrance off King Street.

The bar and lounge at the front of the restaurant has the feel of a contemporary Tokyo hotel. The sleek, modern furniture will be moved on weekends to make way for live jazz performances.

The separate dining room boasts an awe-inspiring design, with a massive 10-foot high chandelier draped from end-to-end down the centre of the room.

Family members and staff strung and hung the 150,000 individual crystals by hand. It’s indicative of the team effort put into the business, and the amount of dedication required from Thai’s position as president right down to the people who bus tables.

“This family is demanding but appreciative and respectful,” said Patti Hone, part of the Spring Rolls marketing team. “They hire people who know what they’re doing, and then they let them do it.”

Their motto is “Style without attitude, quality without the price.” The expansive menu focuses on Viet/Thai food but brother Hai Hua, the executive chef, travels frequently, returning with new regional food ideas from Korea, China and Singapore among other places.

There are a wide variety of appetizers including dim sum starting at $3.99 and several varieties of spring rolls. Lunch specials start at $8.99 and dinner specials at $10.99, with soup or salad. Some new items, such as the lobster and avocado salad and the sea bass with olive black bean sauce, are unique to the Waterloo location.

“There’s a little bit of everything,” Hone said. “I challenge anyone to come and not find something they like.”

Thai said the pan-Asian influences at the restaurant come from years working with his uncle as a grocery retailer, then opening his own Asian grocery store.

“When I first came to Toronto, I was only the third Asian kid at Oakdale Junior High,” he recalls. “We came at the right time. I was able to observe the growth of the Asian population and the influx of all the foods across all Asian cultures.”

Next door to his grocery store, brother Hai was running a restaurant, Pho 88. When the restaurant started to become popular with Caucasians, Thai took notice.

“They loved the food,” he said. “It’s fresh, it’s light, and it’s fast service.”

They came up with the idea for Spring Rolls, combining an upscale, Western front-of-house experience with authentic Asian food, “not Chinese-Canadian food,” and opened their first location in 1996.

When the Hua family started scouting for their first location outside the big city, Waterloo seemed a natural fit. Commuters and Toronto students are already familiar with the Spring Rolls brand, which has 12 locations across the GTA and Mississauga.

Thai said it’s important to expand the business organically. Today, 10 family members are involved. The Waterloo location, more than two years in the making, is run by the brother of a brother-in-law. The company logo even symbolizes the emphasis on family: two chopsticks represent the Hua parents, while seven grains of rice personify the kids.

“We’ve come a long way, but I think we can go further,” Thai said. “We’re very passionate about what we do. We live and breathe this restaurant.”

myfaceisonfire
Jan 13, 2010, 5:36 PM
It's a great story and all but I'm not really that impressed. My wife and I stopped by a few weeks ago. The food was bland, the service was bizarre, and the actual space looked like it was designed well but VERY poorly constructed.

I prefer Ben Thanh's food by far.

Cambridgite
Jan 14, 2010, 12:39 AM
^ I dunno about you, but I thought it was great and had none of those complaints personally.

Elmira Guy
Jan 14, 2010, 5:31 AM
Anyone know what's happening with the Scholastic store at Conestoga Mall?

As I'm in the education field, I quite like this store.

Duke-Of-Waterloo
Jan 14, 2010, 4:55 PM
^ I dunno about you, but I thought it was great and had none of those complaints personally.

In my opinion, it's better than Thai Sun Uptown and for a fraction of the price.

As for Scholar's Choice, I have no idea...rent was too high probably. They will likely relocate somewhere else in the area, likely in a plaza or something.

taylortbb
Jan 14, 2010, 7:32 PM
In my opinion, it's better than Thai Sun Uptown and for a fraction of the price.

Thai Sun isn't really a high bar. I've been there a couple times and every time the food has been quite lacking in flavour by Thai standards, I do not intend to ever return.

I haven't been to Spring Rolls Waterloo, but I have been to their Yonge and Dundas location in Toronto a couple times. The food there used to be really good, but quality has declined as they've turned into a chain. It's still a good meal for a reasonable price, but this region has other places with better food. I'm still going to try the Waterloo location to see how it compares, but I'm not expecting anything exceptional.

I did try Spring Rolls To Go in the Conestoga food court. The food there was not nearly as good as the Spring Rolls restaurants I've been to, so don't use their To Go locations to judge the food from the restaurant.

plam
Jan 14, 2010, 8:21 PM

For Thai food, my favourite is Northern Thai in downtown Kitchener (95 Queen South). Some of the other options in Waterloo are OK, but not as good.

rapid_business
Jan 15, 2010, 12:30 AM
/\ Yup, been 3 times to the Spring Rolls Go in the food court. I have to say I was very disappointed. Next to no flavor and way too much salt. I might give the sitdown restaurant a chance, but I'm not a fan so far.

But Salad King... now that is a place I'd like to see out here.