PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Update

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59

markbarbera
May 7, 2009, 12:39 PM
HGA, Hamilton Gallery of Art Problem Solved!!!!

Right, except the G will be reversed, making it comparable to the lowbrow Toys R Us logo.

FairHamilton
May 7, 2009, 12:49 PM
I wish they would take one of these old theatres and make it into a boutique movie theatre. People would pay more money to see a movie and get an authentic old fashioned experience.

You mean like The Movie Palace which I went to to see Coraline on it's opening weekend with only about 8 to 10 other people in the theatre?

Nice in theory, unfortunately I think failure in practice

Millstone
May 7, 2009, 1:06 PM
You mean like The Movie Palace which I went to to see Coraline on it's opening weekend with only about 8 to 10 other people in the theatre?

Don't worry, adam still thinks it's 1925.

highwater
May 7, 2009, 1:22 PM
Right, except the G will be reversed, making it comparable to the lowbrow Toys R Us logo.

Or...an ironic comment on pop culture. Potato, potahto.

emge
May 7, 2009, 2:23 PM

Exactly what i was thinking. Then again, they also show a limited run of movies and have limited amenities. it would need to have an old-school "feel" but not lack in screen size, concessions, anything of the sort. Not genuine of course, but that would be how it makes money.

SteelTown
May 7, 2009, 2:51 PM
Go check out the Movie Palace this weekend. Whenever there's a big blockbuster movie the Movie Palace is packed to the max.

urban_planner
May 7, 2009, 4:11 PM
they could always have the "G" Rotaing!!!

adam
May 7, 2009, 4:27 PM

Why all the bitterness? Would you prefer I didn't offer any comments or ideas?

adam
May 7, 2009, 4:29 PM

What makes Hamilton unique is its excellent stock of old buildings. People aren't going to come to Hamilton to see the brutalist 1970's architecture, but they will come to see excellently restored buildings from the turn of the century. They can't get that in most other cities.

matt602
May 7, 2009, 11:49 PM
While it's optimistic to think that way, an establishment like that just won't make it because there really isn't enough people around that would appreciate that kind of venue, nor would they pay to see it enough. In this day and age, even the big name Silvercity theatres are finding it hard to turn a profit, when they have to compete with the internet and rental movies.

adam
May 8, 2009, 1:44 AM
You are probably right about the movie theatre. I'm still thinking though.. Seattle has a tour of their old underground tunnels and its wildly popular. Its a bigger city than Hamilton but good promos and advertising in Hamilton could go a long way. Of course when people drive into the city and are confronted with massive 1-way streets and 70's brutalist architecture, it doesn't seem like the kind of place they want to stick around in very long..

block43
May 8, 2009, 1:21 PM
http://www.thespec.com/News/Business/article/562380
Troubled building sold again

Lisa Grace Marr
The Hamilton Spectator
(May 8, 2009)
The fate of 220 Dundurn St. is taking yet another turn.

Businessman Michael Corrado represents a consortium of developers that has successfully made a conditional offer on the dilapidated building to owner Denis Vranich.

Corrado said the offer is conditional on several factors. A key one is city approval for a minor variance to allow a more intensive residential development.

The current permitted density is for a four-storey building with 64 units. The developers would like to add another storey and house 170 units inside. Other changes would also have to be OK'd by the city, such as the number of parking spaces.

Corrado said the site is perfect for residential redevelopment, given the location and the plans to extend Frid Street to Longwood Road, next to the new McMaster Innovation Park and McMaster University.

"It's a neighbourhood on the upswing, for sure," he said. "There are 3.1 acres of land on that site -- you try and find that anywhere in west Hamilton. It would be so great to clean up that property. Dundurn Street is the new Locke Street."

Corrado said redevelopment plans are still preliminary.

Vranich purchased the building in January 2007 for $1.5 million. Corrado would not disclose the price of the consortium's offer.

The building on the site has been plagued with problems that have intensified since 2004 when its third floor caught fire under then-suspicious circumstances.

A public meeting on the matter will be held May 21 at 2:35 p.m. in Room 207 at the Hamilton Convention Centre.

lmarr@thespec.com

905-526-3992

emge
May 8, 2009, 4:30 PM
You are probably right about the movie theatre. I'm still thinking though.. Seattle has a tour of their old underground tunnels and its wildly popular. Its a bigger city than Hamilton but good promos and advertising in Hamilton could go a long way. Of course when people drive into the city and are confronted with massive 1-way streets and 70's brutalist architecture, it doesn't seem like the kind of place they want to stick around in very long..

Nope, i agree. there's one sector of the market that comes looking for things like historical architecture and finds it, but there's a very big 'average joe' sector of the market that passes through Hamilton, doesn't easily find things appealing, and heads back out again. First impressions and marketing are big, big, big things, and we need to be making it easier to highlight the good things that don't immediately confront one's eyes downtown, but need to be looked for.

Unfortunately, not much can compensate for the lack of "advertising" that our downtown is doing for us. No one is going to go to the Meadowlands and think "Wow, Hamilton's so great!" But if we have a downtown that gives a great first impression, that's the best advertising for our whole city that's possible. Thinking of our downtown as an advertisement not only for itself but for the rest of the city highlights just how far we have to go.

omro
May 9, 2009, 1:16 PM
Locke Street, Ottawa Street, Westdale and the Waterfront, little oases of the city where you feel like you're in a different city, while still being in Hamilton. Mum was sold on the city thanks to Locke, the others were just icing on the cake.

What Hamilton lacks is any real feeling that there is anything here for tourists to do. The Tourism Hamilton office downtown is full of things to take away to do in the local area, but it itself isn't that well advertised. My Mum has been to the city four times now and this last visit was the only time she went to Tourism Hamilton, because as a non internet savvy person (I'm working on that), she didn't know it was even there before.

I would like to know, I may have missed it myself, if there is a central site for all the different events which go on in the city?

SteelTown
May 15, 2009, 1:42 PM
There's a local guy that wants to start a mini taxi 4 wheeled bicycle service in Hamilton.

Hopefully the City will approve his request, he'll need a new licence for the new service.

SteelTown
May 15, 2009, 5:07 PM
Police adding downtown patrols
Five new cops on beat by year's end

May 15, 2009
Paul Morse
http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/566731

Hamilton police are hiring seven new officers with money from the province’s share of federal policing cash and five of them are going downtown.

The city is receiving $490,000 over the next five years to fund the officers, who will be on the streets by the end of the year, said Hamilton police Chief Brian Mullan at an announcement at police headquarters this morning.

Mullan, flanked by area MPPs Sophia Aggelonitis and Ted McMeekin, Mayor Fred Eisenberger and police board chair Councillor Bernie Morelli, said five officers will be deployed downtown in foot and bike patrol units.

“They are going to help Mr. Balsillie downtown to help make it a safer place,” he said, in a wry reference to RIM billionaire Jim Balsillie’s attempt to relocate the Phoenix Coyotes to Hamilton.

“Five are going to go into high-visibility locations in the core where they will have a significant impact, we hope, on reducing the level of fear within the downtown core."

One officer will go into the family violence resource unit “to ensure we’re providing the absolute best  service possible to victims of family violence.”

The seventh officer will be deployed in the training branch.

The province is doling out $78 million for 125 new OPP officers, $58 million to municipal forces and $20 million for First Nations police officers.

thistleclub
May 23, 2009, 5:02 AM
There was a cherry picker out tonight in front of the Right House. After much prep, they were painting the ornamental architrave. When I passed they hadn't got to the Hughson side of things, and if that's still the case when the sun comes up, it should make an interesting before/after study. If you can cope with "the level of fear within the downtown core," that is.

emge
Jun 12, 2009, 3:43 AM
There was some construction going on today at 47? King Street East - adjoining Delta Bingo on its east side.

It looks to be separate from the bingo hall (as far as I can tell), and the size of a large storefront or average restaurant. Anyone know what's going in there?

matt602
Jun 12, 2009, 4:20 AM
According to a photo I just referenced, this is the building with the "My Convenience Store" and the Salvation Army Thrift Shop on the main floor. I can't really imagine either of them closing up shop, but I guess it's possible. I didn't even notice anything going on when I was down there earlier this morning. I'll take a look tomorrow morning.

SteelTown
Jun 13, 2009, 3:06 PM
Mounties, city cops teaming to patrol core

June 13, 2009
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/582778

They will be no horses, but there will be Mounties.

Uniformed RCMP members will be joining Hamilton police this summer as officers patrol the downtown core. The RCMP officers will join with Hamilton Police Core Patrol officers until the end of summer. The initiative has already started.

Hamilton police said two RCMP members, a training officer and a recruit from the Hamilton-Niagara detachment, will be placed with a core patrol team.

The idea is for city police to showcase its community-based policing to the RCMP officers.

Policing teams will be paired off for a three-week period.

During the teamings, RCMP officers will get to interact with the community at a level they usually would not experience.

Hamilton police said the initiative is also allowing city police to expand their partnership with the RCMP.

matt602
Jun 13, 2009, 7:39 PM
So that's why I saw them in front of Jackson. Was really weird.

emge
Jun 14, 2009, 1:20 PM
From what I could see this morning, it appears the construction beside Delta Bingo (it's between the Bingo Hall and the convenience/thrift stores) is going to be a GrandDad's Donuts -- there's doors from the building to the bingo hall and to the street, and there's a GrandDad's sign on the window above the doors to the bingo hall.

matt602
Jun 14, 2009, 11:08 PM
Interesting. I'm surprised they are expanding. I guess their James North store is doing well.

emge
Jun 15, 2009, 1:11 AM
They have a GrandDad's store in St. Catharines right by my parents' house, opened a year or two ago - it used to be a Donut Diner. Irony of ironies that I move to Hamilton and one opens up closer to my old house than my new one...

It's not a bad addition... to that stretch, it's definitely an improvement.. and their donuts are certainly an improvement over Tim's!

matt602
Jun 15, 2009, 1:21 AM
I've honestly never been because that part of James North is usually out of my way. I'm always downtown though, so I'm sure a visit is in my future. It's always good to have alternatives to the Horton empire.

SteelTown
Jun 15, 2009, 12:35 PM
I'm sure they'll do great in the core, wouldn't be surprised if there would be a line up in the mornings. Hamilton do love their donuts.

jgrwatson
Jun 15, 2009, 5:22 PM
Yay!

Something new in the core - something decent beside the bingohall!

RE: "Buisness doing well"

I have colleagues at work who come from the mountain, down to James N, just to get donuts for meetings!

It should do well.

FairHamilton
Jul 6, 2009, 11:44 PM
Unfortunately, not positive news.

I got word this evening the TD at Hughson is closing in November, consolidating with the Jackson Square branch.

matt602
Jul 7, 2009, 2:47 AM
I always thought it was weird that they operated two branches within such close proximity.

drpgq
Jul 7, 2009, 4:32 AM
Unfortunately, not positive news.

I got word this evening the TD at Hughson is closing in November, consolidating with the Jackson Square branch.

That sucks. I use that branch all the time.

Millstone
Jul 7, 2009, 5:39 AM
How about this downtown update, a watermain broke on Rebecca between Hughson and John about 6 hours ago and I still have no water. :|

FairHamilton
Jul 7, 2009, 12:54 PM
I always thought it was weird that they operated two branches within such close proximity.

Since I'm still relatively new to Hamilton so I'm not sure, but I'm willing to guess one was a Canada Trust legacy branch (likely). They had to keep them open for so long before closing (consolidating), as part of the purchase of Canada Trust.

They did the same with the legacy Canada Trust and TD branches in my mother's neighbourhood last year.

It's disappointing because that is the branch I use most frequently. Hopefully the corner unit is not empty for too long.

Jon Dalton
Jul 7, 2009, 5:06 PM
The old Canada Trust in Barrie became a coffee shop recently. Maybe we could get so lucky.

Jon Dalton
Jul 7, 2009, 6:11 PM
Something finally opened in the Claudias building, a thrift store. It's called Magical Mystery Store. They have records, clothes and assorted junk. Mostly garbage, but they did only just open. If you have anything to get rid of, please take it there instead of Value, which is just another big box. I can't see this place possibly making rent in this location, but more power to them for trying.

Closed last week.

matt602
Jul 7, 2009, 8:03 PM
Since I'm still relatively new to Hamilton so I'm not sure, but I'm willing to guess one was a Canada Trust legacy branch (likely). They had to keep them open for so long before closing (consolidating), as part of the purchase of Canada Trust.

They did the same with the legacy Canada Trust and TD branches in my mother's neighbourhood last year.

It's disappointing because that is the branch I use most frequently. Hopefully the corner unit is not empty for too long.

You're right, it was a Canada Trust before. I still didn't see the sense of operating both branches at the same time, I figured it would just be easier to merge everything into the one branch right from the time the company's merged.

omro
Jul 7, 2009, 8:38 PM
In a lot british cities, when the downtown branches closed, the old buildings became pubs, winebars, restaurants, etc.

thistleclub
Jul 7, 2009, 9:10 PM
In a lot british cities, when the downtown branches closed, the old buildings became pubs, winebars, restaurants, etc.

And when the pubs close down?

matt602
Jul 7, 2009, 9:32 PM
And when the pubs close down?

I don't think that happens in the UK.

emge
Jul 8, 2009, 2:42 PM
There's a residential building on the west side of Victoria (north of Wilson? around that area) that's been undergoing slow, slow renovation for the past couple years. It still had a flat roof on it through the whole thing, but when I went past it a couple weeks ago, it now has a sloped shingled roof on it and dormers. I still don't know what's happening with it but it looks good.

Millstone
Jul 9, 2009, 4:21 AM
Victoria between Wilson and Barton is really a gem... with 4 lanes of one-way traffic dividing it.

thistleclub
Jul 10, 2009, 4:04 AM
I don't think that happens in the UK.

http://www.thepublican.com/story.asp?storyCode=58307

Blurr
Jul 12, 2009, 12:21 AM
Does anyone know what the plan is for the north west corner of Ferguson and Wilson?

I noticed crews demolishing the school on Friday.

SteelTown
Jul 12, 2009, 8:37 PM
They are rebuilding the Dr. Davey School with a new Beasley Community Centre. Plus renovation to Beasley Park.

drpgq
Jul 14, 2009, 7:03 PM
Is Joe Butt's closed? Looked kind of vacant when I just walked by.

emge
Jul 14, 2009, 9:09 PM
It looks like the big "could be a really awesome Keg Mansion" building on the northeast corner of Main/Queen has been bought and the paint is being removed from the brick --- I just got a quick glimpse a couple days ago though, there were workers out front.

SteelTown
Jul 24, 2009, 10:46 PM
That bingo hall has a giant screen, obviously trying to lure people inside. Dunno when it was put up. But it's REALLY bright and helpful, finally a clock for Gore Park.

thistleclub
Jul 24, 2009, 11:02 PM
That bingo hall has a giant screen, obviously trying to lure people inside. Dunno when it was put up. But it's REALLY bright and helpful, finally a clock for Gore Park.

Yeah, they're all about giving back to the community.

The thing is like a low-res street-level version of the sign at York and Bay, minus the nuclear whites. It's about 6' by 20' and prone to typographic conniptions and scrolling wipes. It definitely grates on the eye after dusk, but ShowWorld seems less lonely.

SteelTown
Jul 24, 2009, 11:22 PM
Couldn't care what they say on the giant screen. I just enjoy the big ass lettering for the clock, which you can see anywhere in Gore Park.

Happiness is playing BINGO! haha

FairHamilton
Jul 25, 2009, 3:11 AM

Saw it for the first time last Friday (17th), and could only think; "Does Hamilton have any sign bylaws...."

Pathetic something like that is allowed to be displayed.

Millstone
Jul 25, 2009, 5:19 AM
Delta is a client of my company's, but jesus that sign is way too bright.

emge
Jul 29, 2009, 7:23 PM
There's a BBQ place opening at the corner of King and Locke in the former G.P. Grumpy's space, and they've been working on the interior this week.

I forget the name, but they have a sign and website in the window and I'll take a look when I go by again. It looks like a chain I haven't seen before - might even be authentic southern-style slow-cooked bbq, but haven't got my hopes up that far yet.

jgrwatson
Jul 29, 2009, 8:01 PM
I love the independants (LuLu all the way), but seriously, we need a friggin' chain in dt Hamilton already.

Besides, Locke, personally, is not downtown nor is as defined by the Secondary Plan! ;0

emge
Jul 29, 2009, 9:54 PM
The chain looked cheesy (cartoon character and all) but I just care if it's real bbq. It seems like a tough location to survive on that corner, though.

Fair enough that its not truly "downtown" -- I mention it because there's still a lot going on west of Queen, especially along Main. Although not technically in the boundaries, it's still downtown to me along Main and King till you hit the highway, and as an intro/exit to our city as people come in and out, I think that section's important.

SteelTown
Sep 17, 2009, 2:44 PM
There's a new crane up at St. Joseph's hopital. So that's 3 in the lower end of Hamilton? Two at Innovation Park and one at St Joe's.

highwater
Sep 17, 2009, 2:54 PM
Should we change the name of this thread to cranespotting?;)

SteelTown
Sep 17, 2009, 3:17 PM
Cranespotting is fun. It's a sign of development and it's even better to have it in the downtown core.

Imagine winning the 2015 Pan Am bid. The proposed stadium will probably require two or three cranes alone.

highwater
Sep 17, 2009, 4:41 PM
Yeah. We might even need more hotel space downtown!

FairHamilton
Sep 17, 2009, 4:43 PM
Interesting all the cranes (exisiting and perhaps) are tied to goverment/public institutions.

highwater
Sep 17, 2009, 5:04 PM
Depressing all the cranes (exisiting and perhaps) are tied to goverment/public institutions.

Fixed it for you.

FairHamilton
Sep 17, 2009, 6:14 PM
^I was just trying to keep a slightly positive spin on a frustrating day ;)

matt602
Sep 17, 2009, 11:45 PM
Yeah. We might even need more hotel space downtown!

Yup. Too bad we just lost one today.

Maybe that 'ol Hilton proposed for the HMP might get off it's feet though. I gotta say it would also be good to see the Sheraton's exterior spruced up a bit as well. It's not exactly ugly but it's bordering on dated.

SteelTown
Oct 8, 2009, 9:24 PM
I know I've mentioned about that former Indian restaurants at Longwood and Main before, I know it's outside of downtown Hamilton. Well it's Popeye's now, the sign went up today. There's still that empty property.

SteelTown
Oct 14, 2009, 1:45 AM
Here's an interesting motion from Whitehead.....

M O T I O N
Council Date: October 14, 2009

MOVED BY COUNCILLOR WHITEHEAD………………………………..…………..…
SECONDED BY COUNCILLOR………………………………………………………

That the Economic Development and Real Estate and the Downtown Renewal Divisions be directed to prepare a report for the Economic Development and Planning Committee regarding the development of a downtown office attraction strategy.

Further that this strategy investigate the potential of new innovative incentives to recruit new companies to the City's core.

And, that this report be included in the Community Redevelopment component of the city's new Economic Development Strategy now in progress.

http://www.myhamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/5A40B0D8-A034-4F01-AC9A-23D30AE85579/0/Oct14Motion72.pdf

highwater
Oct 14, 2009, 4:42 PM
Good on Whitehead.

astroblaster
Oct 14, 2009, 5:46 PM
seconded by: ASTROBLASTER

SteelTown
Oct 14, 2009, 5:51 PM
It's a great start and I support it. But recruiting new retail to the downtown core with incentives I would support as well.

highwater
Oct 14, 2009, 6:19 PM
But recruiting new retail to the downtown core with incentives I would support as well.

Hopefully this initiative will include some retail as well. After all, don't they always play the 'jobs' card to justify converting industrial lands to commercial?

SteelTown
Oct 14, 2009, 6:24 PM
Tru Dat! Tru Dat!

astroblaster
Oct 14, 2009, 9:36 PM
It's a great start and I support it. But recruiting new retail to the downtown core with incentives I would support as well.

i'm all for retail incentives, but the biggest incentive for retail is customers with money to spend.

i think attracting high quality & high quantity employers is step 1.
retail will follow.

not saying we should ignore retail, just stating my opinion on priorities.

omro
Oct 14, 2009, 10:54 PM
To quote a learned friend....

Actually there is no surprise with this kind of motion. City
Councillors are always asking staff for reports. Often, when they
don't like what they say, they will choose to ignore them. Most
city councillors do not know the rules under which the city must
play - that is why actions are often better left to the better-
educated staff.

If I was paraphrasing the motion, City Council wants to know what it
can do to attract offices to locate in the downtown core. It is also
signalling that it is willing to be innovative. This is good news.
The bad news is that there is very little which the City can do.

Its most successful incentive has been a loan program for businesses
that want to locate in the core. The loan can be used to renovate
or modify the building. Now, the key to this is that it is a loan
which must be repaid. This is perfectly legal within the confines of
economic development. What the City cannot do is provide a grant
(which is never repaid). As you would note, the City can play a little
with payment terms and even the rate of interest but if it was giving
out zero interest loans repayable over 1,000 years, that would be
investigated by provincial authorities and ruled out.

SteelTown
Oct 14, 2009, 11:20 PM
There's been probably been less than 5 motions so far this year and most have been acted on, some still waiting on the report. One example is the motion from Merulla regarding the flood.

I think a good incentive would be to help finance office space to class A office space. There's just way too many B and C class office space in Hamilton and because of that we don't attract companies locating to downtown Hamilton.

omro
Oct 14, 2009, 11:31 PM
I think a good incentive would be to help finance office space to class A office space. There's just way too many B and C class office space in Hamilton and because of that we don't attract companies locating to downtown Hamilton.

What is "Class A" office space?

SteelTown
Oct 14, 2009, 11:58 PM
Here's some examples

Class B office space - 20 Hughson Street South
http://www.bbsrealty.com/property-details/802/

Class C office space - 200 James Street South
http://www.bbsrealty.com/property-details/786/

Class A office space - 25 Main Street West
http://www.bbsrealty.com/property-details/789/

Out of 8 downtown properties only 2 of those office space is Class A
http://www.bbsrealty.com/property-listings/

emge
Oct 15, 2009, 2:16 AM
I wonder if it's possible to create some office space really geared to technical and computer jobs - specialize different spaces for different applications so that a lot of the work is already done for businesses to move in.

omro
Oct 15, 2009, 12:42 PM
I'm still of the opinion that this is politicking, a tactical "Look how supportive I am of the downtown, but it's a shame there's not a lot that can be done. The report says so. But I'm so supportive"

I'm getting so cynical in my old age. Maybe good will come of it.

SteelTown
Oct 22, 2009, 1:49 PM
Gotta give big thumbs up for the Cleaning crew in downtown Hamilton. In the last two weeks I've waited for the bus at Gore Park and saw the same guy going around Gore Park picking up litter. Yesterday this moron just threw his pizza box from Gino's at the ground and within say five minutes the guy came around and picked up the pizza box.

Though I think the City should buy one of those outdoor litter vacuum cleaner, McMaster has one and it goes around campus literally everyday picking up crap.

http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/outdoor-litter-vacuum-cleaner-166699.jpg

realcity
Oct 22, 2009, 4:40 PM
Here's some examples

Class B office space - 20 Hughson Street South
http://www.bbsrealty.com/property-details/802/

Class C office space - 200 James Street South
http://www.bbsrealty.com/property-details/786/

Class A office space - 25 Main Street West
http://www.bbsrealty.com/property-details/789/

Out of 8 downtown properties only 2 of those office space is Class A
http://www.bbsrealty.com/property-listings/

This has changed. BBS will do that to be able to charge $ accordingly
Before only Standard Life and CIBC were A Class.
BDC/25 Main giving that A is generous, if that's A then Stelco is.

My office is in the Port Authority bldg and I don't know what class ?? B at least, it's Fed owned, so well maintained, security is sick, and cleaned everyday.

Actually after seeing this I'm calling about 200 James South. I like that bldg and location. C class seems low, there's a cosmetic surgeon in there.

drpgq
Nov 12, 2009, 7:52 PM
Anyone know what happened with the fire at Hart's today that closed down the City Centre?

SteelTown
Nov 13, 2009, 12:33 AM
Separate fires cause closure of City Centre – twice

November 12, 2009
Daniel Nolan
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/671806

The Hamilton City Centre was evacuated twice this afternoon after two suspicious fires were set in separate department stores.

These are the second and third suspicious fires to hit the centre in the last six months. At the end of June, a fire broke out in the linen section of Liquidation World and caused the centre to be evacuated and closed for an afternoon.

The former Eaton Centre at James Street North and York Boulevard, which temporarily houses City Hall staff, was first evacuated around 1:30 p.m. after a mattress was set on fire at the Hart department store.

The fire was quickly put out by store staff and there were no injuries. Initial damage has been estimated at $1,500. The ceiling sprinklers did not activate as the fire had not generated enough heat to set them off.

The mall was reopened about 3 p.m., but was cleared again half an hour later when knapsacks and computer bags were set on fire at Liquidation World.

The fire was again doused by store staff.

The centre reopened at about 4 p.m., but the two department stores remain closed and not are expected to be back in business until Friday morning.

The fire department will inform the Ontario Fire Marshal’s office, which will determine whether to send investigators to the two fire scenes.

SteelTown
Nov 13, 2009, 12:12 PM
Bratina wants core cleanup prior to Pan Ams

November 13, 2009
Eric McGuinness
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/672030

Downtown Councillor Bob Bratina is calling for a pre-Pan Am Games cleanup of the city core, especially the north side of King Street from James to Catharine.

He says the high-profile strip facing Gore Park is largely to blame for giving downtown the image of being dirty and unsafe.

"Now that we're getting buses out of the Gore, I'm really pushing council and staff to take action," he said in an interview. "Let's commit ourselves to fixing the downtown once and for all.

"We have to do something with the peep show, bingo parlour and thrift store," he said, complaining about what visitors encounter.

"We also have to deal with the people who have taken control of downtown by squatters' rights. They're an undefinable group, not winos, not bums, but it's daunting for other people who go down there."

"Attitude surveys show people still think the core is unclean and unsafe, and until we change that perception we won't have succeeded," Bratina said.

Kathy Drewitt, executive director of the Downtown Hamilton Business Improvement Area, says cleaning up the core is exactly what her organization wants.

"He's hearing that from all sides, and I'm glad he's taking up the cause," she said.

The BIA is trying to pull together members of the hospitality industry and city departments responsible for things such as parking, policing and litter to help downtown put "its best foot forward" for large events such as the Games.

Bratina is pleased two more buildings between John and Catharine streets are about to be renovated and restored, but says more must be done.

The two are the former strip club (Bannister's, then Maxim's) at 95 King St. E., bought by CityHousing Hamilton last December, and the former Joe Buttinsky's bar at 103 King, recently bought by a local restaurateur. It was once the entrance to the old Capitol Theatre.

Bratina said he told city manager Chris Murray this week: "We will never have a healthy downtown until we deal with the north side of King between Catharine and James. That's Ground Zero, and something has to be done in conjunction with the Gore Master Plan."

The plan is to redevelop the park and the south leg of King that's been used as a bus terminal, soon to be replaced by a facility on MacNab Street between King and Main.

On the west side of the former strip club is CityHousing's new Gore Building, 87-89 King E., which has three floors of apartments and still-unrented storefronts. The city-run housing corporation plans to spend $3.5 million turning 95 King into an arts centre with 10 live-work studios upstairs.

Tim Yee, who owns the Harvest Moon Chinese restaurant and banquet hall on James North across from the Hamilton City Centre, confirmed he recently bought Joe Buttinsky's, with 6,000 square feet spread over three floors opposite the former Royal Connaught Hotel. He said he hopes to firm up plans for the property early next year.

Bratina described the bar as an eyesore, and said its patio should never have been allowed to extend so far out across the sidewalk.

"I'm glad it's gone," he said. "I wish Tim Yee the best."

highwater
Nov 13, 2009, 2:25 PM
Why bother, since he's chasing all the venues to Burlington?

SteelTown
Nov 13, 2009, 3:24 PM
Perhaps they can finally push for the new Cannon Streetscape project before 2015?

Hopefully parts or all of the West Harbourfront development plan will be done before 2015, especially the cafes, urban park at the foot of James Street, restaurants and boardwalks.

Obviously King and Main will be redeveloped if they go ahead with LRT before 2015.

highwater
Nov 13, 2009, 5:15 PM
In the meantime, enjoy this new addition to the Cannon streetscape:

http://www.raisethehammer.org/blog.asp?id=1562

FairHamilton
Nov 14, 2009, 11:14 PM
Does anyone know what's going on with the Canada Post building on Cannon? Today I noticed it's under some type of construction/renovation, but can't recall seeing any info on what's going on at that location.

Next Day Edit; I've now heard it's going to be a Shoppers Drugmart.

woreg75
Nov 15, 2009, 3:17 PM
did this used to be a Mr. Grocer? I was a kid then and remember a grocery store here.. I may be way off..
anyone remember?

Gurnett71
Nov 15, 2009, 9:34 PM
did this used to be a Mr. Grocer? I was a kid then and remember a grocery store here.. I may be way off..
anyone remember?

Can't remember the store banner, but I think you are right in that it once was a grocery store.

bigguy1231
Nov 16, 2009, 3:47 AM
anyone remember?

Originally, it was a Dominion store. I remember that because when I was a kid my grandmother used to shop there. When she took me with her she would leave me at the snack bar with a hotdog and pop while she did her shopping. They had the best hotdogs at Dominion stores in those days.

I think it was a Mr Grocer for a short while after that.

realcity
Nov 16, 2009, 5:13 PM
A Shoppers.... wonderful.... Shoppers' execs know an aging/senior city when they see it.... lots of Rx sales.

emge
Nov 16, 2009, 9:33 PM
A Shoppers.... wonderful.... Shoppers' execs know an aging/senior city when they see it.... lots of Rx sales.

Another Shoppers just opened at Main/Hess instead of what was there before too.

Does anyone know what's happening with 117 King E? (N side of King between John and Catharine?)

There's been lights on and fresh drywall/clean brick are shown inside, and I saw a few people walking around the other week pointing/writing things down. It looked like a couple and their realtor or possibly general contractor. I think that might be the same building I've seen used once or twice by movie crews filming across the street as well.

I saw a real estate listing for it from 2008, so I wonder if that means it's finally been sold.

markbarbera
Nov 19, 2009, 1:07 AM
Does anyone have further information on the City Centre fires last week? I thought it was a small fire in Hart, but there was an ad in the Spec today saying Hart will be closed indefinitely due to the fire. Must have been serious smoke damage to the store inventory. Still, can't they just dump it downstairs in Liquidation World and restock?

My heart still aches when I think about this space's glory days as Eaton's.

Gurnett71
Nov 19, 2009, 2:51 AM
My heart still aches when I think about this space's glory days as Eaton's.

It is rather heartbreaking walking through there now - depressing even. I worked at Eaton's starting in '87 or so - the old store. Helped move the merchandise over to the shiny new HEC330 as it was called in Eaton talk (Hamilton Eaton Centre, store#330).

NorthEndRules
Nov 19, 2009, 2:51 AM
The Shoppers on Cannon will sell produce ie veggies

SteelTown
Nov 25, 2009, 10:47 PM
The city has been installing Christmas lights around downtown Hamilton and it appears all the lights are new. They even have Christmas lights that goes across the street such as at James St South near YMCA.

highwater
Nov 26, 2009, 2:39 AM
Yup. New lights here in Westdale.

emge
Nov 28, 2009, 3:25 AM
The wreaths on Barton are just really, really sad... the IV/King's trees/lights are looking good though.

SteelTown
Dec 3, 2009, 8:23 PM
Part of the 2010 Budget...

John/Rebecca Urban Park Land Purchase - $1,100,000
Public Art - James and Hunter - $200,000
Public Art - Main and Queen - $50,000
Gore Pedestrianization Pilot Project - $110,000
Victoria Park - Phase 3 - $815,000
York - Caroline to James - $3,050,000
King William / Hughson / Rebecca - $1,800,000

matt602
Dec 3, 2009, 8:31 PM
What is "York - Caroline to James"? and "King William / Hughson / Rebecca"?

Jon Dalton
Dec 3, 2009, 8:36 PM
Part of the 2010 Budget...

John/Rebecca Urban Park Land Purchase - $1,100,000

STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID

SteelTown
Dec 3, 2009, 9:01 PM
What is "York - Caroline to James"? and "King William / Hughson / Rebecca"?

Streetscape.

realcity
Dec 3, 2009, 10:28 PM
wtf is an urban park? because nothing gets built we'll make useless parks everywhere... that land should be dense mixed use buildings.

Does a downtown urban park conform to density set out in Places to Grow Act?

Ya like people will flock there to fly a kite and have a picnic.