PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Update

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59

SteelTown
Jan 28, 2008, 8:05 PM
^ Not a new building, just a major renovation to turn the building into research labs. It started last spring and still continuing on. I walk by the building everyday.

raisethehammer
Jan 28, 2008, 8:28 PM
2 new cafes are about to open.

1. Spoons Cafe on King East, 2 doors west of Three16Lounge
2. The Courtyard on Locke St.

the dude
Jan 28, 2008, 11:10 PM
still don't know where the courtyard cafe is.

man, braley must have loads of dough. i'm surprised he hasn't been hit harder given he deals in autoparts. glad he's spending it, though.

raisethehammer
Jan 29, 2008, 12:25 AM
the courtyard is next to Gallery on Locke. Locke and Charlton.

SteelTown
Jan 31, 2008, 9:08 PM
Webcam from downtown Hamilton, you can guess where.....refreshes every 60 seconds.

http://www.liquidesign.ca/webcam/webcam.jpg?23838

matt602
Feb 1, 2008, 12:57 AM
Seems to not be a 24 hour webcam. It's displaying sun light at 8pm. Pretty cool though.

SteelTown
Feb 1, 2008, 12:39 PM
Hmmm seems like the website that holds the webcam isn't working either. I guess I killed them haha.

Shame would have been fun to watch it with this winter storm.

I'm happy this morning! McMaster is closed and therefore no work! YAY extra long superbowl weekend! Wwweeeeee

Check this webcam instead, constrction of the Engineering building

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/newbuilding/webcam/newbuilding.jpg

matt602
Feb 1, 2008, 9:17 PM
Nice stuff. The other cam is up to date now as well.

BCTed
Feb 4, 2008, 6:25 AM
^ I also heard the same news but that was like 4 or 5 months ago. During the same time Jim from RIM wanted to get an NHL team to Hamilton so I assumed it might be RIM but I dunno but I know I heard rumours of a large leasing deal for Stelco tower, erm 100 King West tower.

The idea that RIM would open offices in the Stelco Tower was an extremely wild assumption based on nothing. And yet some people from here who saw that suggestion began posting it as a strong rumour on some of the Canada-wide boards on this forum.

raisethehammer
Feb 4, 2008, 2:35 PM
[QUOTE=BCTed;3329577]The idea that RIM would open offices in the Stelco Tower was an extremely wild assumption based on nothing.

Hey, sounds like most of your posts!

markbarbera
Feb 4, 2008, 3:29 PM
oh great, the BCTed virus has spread to this thread now too...

raisethehammer
Feb 4, 2008, 7:04 PM
everyone MUST pick up a copy of the newest H magazine. It's amazing.
Best one yet.
Great stuff on light rail, endangered buildings and an article about Glasgow.
It's a shame that our 'big' media in Hamilton sucks so bad and can't get as enthusiastic and forward thinking about our city as H-mag does.
Our city has so much potential, but is held back by the intentional 'dumbing-down' of the local populace by the wonks running the Spec and CH etc.....
at any rate, go grab H - you'll get your fix of urban Hamilton in a big way.

DC83
Feb 4, 2008, 7:28 PM
^^ Sweet! I'll grab one from Sky Dragon Ctr on my way home from work!

And the reason CHCH has such lousy coverage is b/c it's on the bottom of the barrell for funding. I'm not making excuses for the station, infact I hate it. I'm just saying that the whole E! thing is a joke... and it's "reporters" are even worse!
Well, I'm being pretty ignorant actually as I haven't watched more than 5mins of CHCH since it converted to E! ...so who knows? They're reporters may have gotten better since? Can anyone confirm this? hahahaha

SteelTown
Feb 4, 2008, 8:18 PM
Well I like the new Entertainment lady and Nick Dixon. I can't stand Laverne, I give her 2 years max. The worst had to be Karen Cumming, I swear it's a man dressed up as a woman and had the most retarded laugh in the world.

BCTed
Feb 5, 2008, 2:25 AM
The idea that RIM would open offices in the Stelco Tower was an extremely wild assumption based on nothing.

Hey, sounds like most of your posts!

Yes, it sounds just like my posts. Ungrounded and made up on the spot.

By the way, have you heard that Daffy Duck is planning on building a new tallest in downtown Hamilton? It will be eighty stories tall and will have a Mountain Equipment Co-op and a patio at ground level.

raisethehammer
Feb 5, 2008, 3:17 AM
Yes, it sounds just like my posts. Ungrounded and made up on the spot.

By the way, have you heard that Daffy Duck is planning on building a new tallest in downtown Hamilton? It will be eighty stories tall and will have a Mountain Equipment Co-op and a patio at ground level.

What?? When did MEC start opening cafes??? How did I miss that??

raisethehammer
Feb 9, 2008, 3:04 AM
check it out:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=3341959#post3341959

We can't even get bus lanes yet. Never mind canals.

DC83
Feb 9, 2008, 12:35 PM
Great story about a great localy-started reatil outlet.
Now if only every retailer could learn from them!

Jumping into retail Duo turns love for hip hop into chain of stores

Lisa Grace Marr
The Hamilton Spectator

(Feb 9, 2008)

The Jump Off in downtown Hamilton is really more of a landing spot for Kevin Hall and his business partner Diarmid Kane.

Hall, 34, is just hitting his stride with his mini-chain of 10 retail stores spread across southern Ontario, with three in Hamilton.

This week he's heading to Wisconsin to seal a franchise deal with a businessman he met at a U.S. trade show.

It's a long way from a few years ago when he was hustling hip-hop T-shirts out of the trunk of his car.

Hall's business success is not only huge for him, it's huge in Canadian retail.

Derek Nighbor, vice-president of national affairs at the Retail Council of Canada, says historically, Canadian retailers have not fared well south of the border.

"The market there is very different. The people who shop at a major discount store there are not the same kind of people who shop at the same store here. We're just two different countries."

Then again, The Jump Off has had a very different history.

Hall got into retail six years ago while working as a barber in Mississauga. Kane, one of his customers, was selling hip-hop shirts. Hall started helping him, selling them out of his car. They'd make runs to New York and run back to the GTA to sell.

"I got a car and then I couldn't fit the clothes in the car so I bought a minivan," said Hall. "Pretty soon I couldn't fit everything in the minivan."

Kane, now 25, already had Mississauga's Dixie Mall flea market sewn up and Hall didn't want to tread on his turf. So he turned to Hamilton, where he had lived for six years.

He found a spot at a flea market in a strip plaza at Strathearne and Barton. But soon, that, too, proved too small. Kane had the same problem.

They had combed the planet for hip-hop clothes they liked and got some suppliers who gave them great deals.

So they opened SSauga, a combination barber shop/clothing store in Mississauga. It was OK, but not enough. Those great deals required they buy a lot of clothes. That meant they needed to sell them. They needed a jumping off point.

So Hall opened The Jump Off (thejumpoff.ca) at Centre Mall on Barton in 2003. In hip-hop slang, Jump Off means something new, something exciting.

It is this intimate awareness of all things hip hop: the music, the culture, the flash, the bling that is the cornerstone of their business.

"I've been into the music since Day 1 from Fat Boys and Grand Master Flash," he said.

"You have to know hip hop to know the market. It changes constantly. Everything could shift in two weeks. It's the way people express themselves."

It's the same way Burlington-based West 49 president and CEO Sam Baio took his love of boarder culture from the fringe to the mall. He opened three stores in 1995, went public in 2004 and has grown the business into a national chain.

Nighbor said entrepreneurs usually start a store because there's a passion for something, like Baio's for boarding, Hall's for hip hop.

"Those regional chains are the fastest-growing segment of our (RCC) membership," he said.

Some grow into national chains.

Aside from the U.S. deal, Hall hopes to take The Jump Off to 20 stores in southern Ontario by this fall in franchise deals.

He says the stores have a broad-based appeal.

"Older people come in here and they're in shock because they don't realize they are going to like it," he said.

Most of Hall's business decisions are made by instinct and street smart know-how about how to market it and where.

The King Street store windows are steaming with dry ice and on the weekends there's a D.J. doing his thing on the second-floor balcony "to liven things up a bit.

"I have the three busiest corners in Hamilton: King and John, Kenilworth and Barton (as of March 1) and Upper James and Fennell," said Hall.

In 1990, Hall moved from his home in government housing and a mostly black high school in Toronto to Delta Secondary.

"I had a culture shock. No one knew anything about hip hop."

He transferred to Sherwood Secondary and moved on to study business at Mohawk, an education he said was good to get but credits success with a strong work ethic and God.

"Everything I do belongs to God, my business, everything. But I got there through working extremely hard," he said.

There are no plans to bring any more stores to the Hamilton area. They're enjoying strong sales and that alone sends a message. "I want people to see this success and know that it's possible in Hamilton if you just work hard."

DC83
Feb 9, 2008, 12:41 PM
^^ So if he credits his great success to his prodominant STREETFRONT locations and creating a fun shopping atmosphere (live DJs, etc), why can't other retailers follow suit?
If only every retailer downtown (or anywhere in the city) cared as much as these guys. I don't even shop here and this store is fast becoming my favourite downtown retailer! hahaha

raisethehammer
Feb 9, 2008, 1:39 PM
you're right DC.
People or business owners always try blaming others or blaming their surroundings instead of learning to do whatever it takes to thrive.
Look at the Downtown BIA - always saying they need more from the city.
How about start by not totally sucking and acting clueless yourself and maybe you'll see your business district succeed more than you ever realized.
Instead they sit around dreaming of ways to add more parking lots in the parking lot capital of Canada and blame everyone else for THEIR stupidity and poor business sense.

DC83
Feb 9, 2008, 1:44 PM
^^ Exactly!! Maybe Mr Hall & Mr Kane need to take over the Downtown BIA?
If they can make their small store exciting, think of what they could do for the Gore! haha

raisethehammer
Feb 9, 2008, 9:44 PM
there's another piece in today's business section about the Beanermunky chocolate stall at the entrance to the Farmers Market. Spec website isn't working so I can't link to it, but they said that sales have increased by 123% in the past year and they plan a downtown storefront location with a glass facade so people can look inside and see the chocolate-making process.
I hope they go ahead with this, and once again, it's great to hear of another business success story downtown.

matt602
Feb 9, 2008, 9:51 PM
That is beautiful to hear about and I REALLY hope it comes to fruition. Those types of stores that draw you in for a closer look (and offer a subject everyone loves, CHOCOLATE) are what downtown needs again.

BTW Liason(sp?) College opened their new location in Jackson Square. It's pretty unimpressive. There's one small sign to tell you that it's even up there, the escalator doesn't work and you can't even see into it at all unless you actually go upstairs. The plus? There was a ton of "Chef's in training" buying stuff in the pathetic little food court there (and probably in the farmers market as well).

raisethehammer
Feb 9, 2008, 10:01 PM
I was going to walk up there today and see how the reno turned out. Looks to be blank, white walls on either side of the escalator. Future use perhaps? I know they plan an outdoor patio in the summertime so we'll see.
That food court was really busy today too...mind you, it's only 2 restaurants anymore, but the new Taste of Vietnam was doing a great business.

realcity
Feb 9, 2008, 10:05 PM
Only two restaurants left in jS food court? For real?

matt602
Feb 9, 2008, 10:11 PM
He is referring to the Market Court, not the main one. That one is bustling as always (I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be any plans to enlarge it or attract different chains).

DC83
Feb 10, 2008, 12:31 PM
So if that opened up there, what's going in that huge hole across the hall from the Library?
I was under the impression LC was opening there... but last week when I was in JS, I noticed nothing had been done to that section there and it's still empty yet it looks like it's under construction?

matt602
Feb 10, 2008, 1:33 PM
They seem to be dragging their feet on it. I haven't seen them working inside of it for weeks now. They've just reduced the space to the support columns.

raisethehammer
Feb 10, 2008, 1:56 PM
rumour has it that the farmers market will move there as their temporary location for a year or two while the market is renovated.

markbarbera
Feb 10, 2008, 2:05 PM
So if that opened up there, what's going in that huge hole across the hall from the Library?
I was under the impression LC was opening there... but last week when I was in JS, I noticed nothing had been done to that section there and it's still empty yet it looks like it's under construction?

The food court is expanding into this area.

DC83
Feb 10, 2008, 2:08 PM
The food court is expanding into this area.

Really? That's perfect! This section is SO dead now that the Market Court is almost empty, and that hall from the Library up to Roots has had NO retail in it for years.

The one thing JS needs is to be opened up as much as it can! The whole dark, cold, cellar feel is what scares potential shoppers away.

HAMRetrofit
Feb 10, 2008, 4:27 PM
Large areas of the JS Mall can just be demolished. It is grossly overbuilt, market retail demand for that space in its current format will not likely ever return. Just get rid of it and create an outdoor pedestrian gallery. Move retail back onto the city streets where it belongs.

DC83
Feb 10, 2008, 4:48 PM
Large areas of the JS Mall can just be demolished. It is grossly overbuilt, market retail demand for that space in its current format will not likely ever return. Just get rid of it and create an outdoor pedestrian gallery. Move retail back onto the city streets where it belongs.

That's exactly what I've been wanting for YEARS!! hahaha make Jackson Square an actual public SQUARE! Move retail back into the City Centre and street-front and voila!

HAMRetrofit
Feb 10, 2008, 5:52 PM
Here is an idea for Jackson Square.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2038/2255547288_b7a628fcdc_o.jpg

Demolish the areas approximately in white. Convert this area into outdoor space with a large public plaza at street grade. Convert the spaces fronting this area into street facing retail space. Secure major retail tenants in the redevelopment. Allow vehicles on the extensions of Summers Lane and King William Streets.

ihateittoo
Feb 10, 2008, 9:07 PM
For some reason I consider this big news:

But I noticed last night that a new hot dog vendor has opened up at ferguson station for the saturday night crowds in that area. I know it isn't a big deal - but I think it just adds to the atmosphere of the int. villiage. Finally some spin-off from the busyness at absinthe. It was still open at about 1:30am too.

raisethehammer
Feb 10, 2008, 10:00 PM
nice...that IS good news. Hess has always had late night vendors, John South usually does too around Jackson St.
There's actually a lot more late night activity around there than just Absinthe. the Asian Karaoke Bar - Red Lounge or something like that. The Hot Pot/Bubble Tea cafe at King and Walnut. 316 Lounge. They're all open late on weekends....let's hope more and more businesses open in this area.

BCTed
Feb 10, 2008, 11:12 PM
Here is an idea for Jackson Square.

Demolish the areas approximately in white. Convert this area into outdoor space with a large public plaza at street grade. Convert the spaces fronting this area into street facing retail space. Secure major retail tenants in the redevelopment. Allow vehicles on the extensions of Summers Lane and King William Streets.

I kind of like Jackson Square and I think that big indoor shopping centres have a place. I would rather keep it as is, as I would also prefer that the Centre Mall be kept intact.

DC83
Feb 10, 2008, 11:15 PM
sweet! Love streetmeat! That just means ppl r noticing how happening the area is.
There's also that new karaoke bar, King Karaoke. Maybe it should be renamed Karaoke Village! haha
can't wait to see the place once ppl move into the Terraces.

raisethehammer
Feb 10, 2008, 11:30 PM
I'm hoping that there are 2 spaces in that King Karaoke. There were rumblings of a Pho restaurant going in one of them. Man, IV could use some pho. I would be all over that.
The bistro place just east of King Karaoke isn't giving me much hope with this crummy looking front windows and badly painted signage.
However, Liu Liu Hotpot on Walnut St now has a bubble tea cafe on their second floor. It's a great building. Walnut just south of King is friggin gorgeous.

Goldfinger
Feb 12, 2008, 1:49 AM
This Parcel has changed hands again, corner of Ferguson.

Closing Date: 8 Jan 08

212 KING WILLIAM ST
City of Hamilton, Hamilton-Wentworth

Sale Price $3,300,000
Vendor: 1473580 Ontario Ltd

Purchaser: 2147718 Ontario Inc

Description High-Rise Res Site - retail bldg on about 0.7 Ac

For development of high-rise condo bldg with 20,000 sf retail on ground, 11-13 storey and 177 units

raisethehammer
Feb 12, 2008, 2:02 AM
hmmm, I'd like to know who bought it. the old owner came down with cancer.

LikeHamilton
Feb 12, 2008, 5:18 PM
see

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=142908

raisethehammer
Feb 15, 2008, 5:49 PM
a great new restaurant just opened on Augusta St. http://www.thespottedpig.ca/

awesome menu. organic, fair trade coffee beans. patio.
I saw it the other day walking by. Used to be a Parisian tea house with crappy hours. This place should do great with that nice patio.

DC83
Feb 15, 2008, 6:29 PM
a great new restaurant just opened on Augusta St. http://www.thespottedpig.ca/

awesome menu. organic, fair trade coffee beans. patio.
I saw it the other day walking by. Used to be a Parisian tea house with crappy hours. This place should do great with that nice patio.

Thanks! This place sounds great, rth! I'll definately have to check it out. I hit up Augusta for pub fare pretty often. Better/cheaper than Hess and it's a 5 min walk away!

And BYOW (Bring Your Own Wine)??? AWESOME! I feel so Montréalais!

Fun article about the Winking Judge on Augusta from yesterday (feb 14th)'s Spec: http://thespec.com/article/324856

Augusta should be the "Haunted Pub District"! haha

raisethehammer
Feb 19, 2008, 12:16 AM
I can't find a thread on the Asian Business Centre, so I'll post here.
Just came back from dinner across the road and this building is done...at least the outside is done. Not the greatest colour stucco I've ever seen, but hey, it's stucco. what can you do?
any word on tenants?

ihateittoo
Feb 22, 2008, 7:37 PM
didn't see it anywhere yet - but apparently the "starbucks: coming soon" banner is up at 158 Locke St now.

raisethehammer
Feb 22, 2008, 10:23 PM
yup, it is.

IronWarrior
Feb 24, 2008, 8:31 AM
Looks like theres renovations being done in the old ODEON theatre....? I wonder whats up?

IronWarrior
Feb 24, 2008, 8:32 AM
didn't see it anywhere yet - but apparently the "starbucks: coming soon" banner is up at 158 Locke St now.

I know....Cant wait!:) right around the corner from my house!

matt602
Feb 24, 2008, 9:01 AM
Looks like theres renovations being done in the old ODEON theatre....? I wonder whats up?

It will be the Lincoln Alexander Banquet Centre for the hotel next adjoined to it. Should be open for the summer or fall. They've been working on it for the past couple of years, they stepped it up in the last year.

LikeHamilton
Mar 3, 2008, 5:48 PM
New eateries on King Street East!

King Karaoke

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/3808/img4164ff9.jpg

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6885/img4165pe6.jpg

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9181/img4166cz8.jpg

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1858/img4167ma8.jpg

CBE Bistro & MC Lounge

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4424/img4169hh2.jpg

CBE Bistro

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6209/img4170gg2.jpg

MC Lounge

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5536/img4171po2.jpg

That makes 5 restaurants in a row on that block. 7 in total for that side of that block.

Buddies Greek Takeout at King William and John has closed as of March 1st. The owner Sabena has moved to Upper Paradise and Stone Church into a plaza. She had a real problem with the landlord. He is spending no money on the building to try and clean it up. He rents only to crack heads and other types of low life. She complains to him that they are hanging around the building and scaring off her customers. They have told her they will not go into her place or down the street because of it. She told me she spends a fortune every week to have bug and pest controls come in and try to keep the bugs and mice at bay. The owner will do nothing to the building. She tried to convince him to fix up the building and the front. He is not interested in spending any money. The last straw was a rent increase.

She is a very smart girl. She is from Montreal and has a law degree from McGill. She got a better offer on the mountain. A clean building, free parking and less rent.

I loved her food.

Flar. Maybe when the weather is nicer, a project for your wonderful camera is to take pictures of just eating places in the core? Bay to Wellington, the base of the mountain to the waterfront. Just a thought.

RePinion
Mar 3, 2008, 6:01 PM
What's she doing running running a Greek takeout if she's got a law degree from McGill? That's one of the best schools in the country and McGill law grads are almost as a rule very sought after in Ontario (they have designation in both civil and common law, and are usually bilingual). Where I work we had one McGill grad and she left - I'm sure we'd hire another as there's still a vacancy left.

RePinion
Mar 3, 2008, 6:02 PM
Aaaacccchhh ... more stucco. But at least they look clean. Not the sort of aesthetic I'd be promoting on King Street though, looks hopelessly cheap.

DC83
Mar 3, 2008, 6:24 PM
Wow. I'm actually really upset as I LOVE My Buddies (both John St & Fennell). I'm very sad to see this leave the core... but don't blame her for doing so!

The core seems to be full of slumlords who care nothing about their bldgs. The city needs to take action to kick these losers out and replace them with caring investors who will actually take the city's grants and fix up their properties!

RePinion
Mar 3, 2008, 6:39 PM
The core seems to be full of slumlords who care nothing about their bldgs. The city needs to take action to kick these losers out and replace them with caring investors who will actually take the city's grants and fix up their properties!

I wish this were easy to do. It would solve so many of the downtown's problems.

To begin with, very strong disincentives for neglect are what is called for. But then again, we'd need a progressive city government actually willing to enforce them ... and to get that, we'd have to get over this city's terrible collective action problem and elect a truly outstanding administration without ties to developers, property speculators, etc.

raisethehammer
Mar 3, 2008, 6:44 PM
dang! buddy's was awesome...I'm sure she could have found a good deal around the corner on King or in Jackson Sq.
I could see a 3rd location going out to Upp Paradise, but moving right out of downtown seems strange. Places like that make a killing late night and on weekends.
Oh well, Tony's Corner is still there along with LaLuna, Harvest Burger and Eat a Pita.

HAMRetrofit
Mar 3, 2008, 7:06 PM
I wish this were easy to do. It would solve so many of the downtown's problems.

To begin with, very strong disincentives for neglect are what is called for. But then again, we'd need a progressive city government actually willing to enforce them ... and to get that, we'd have to get over this city's terrible collective action problem and elect a truly outstanding administration without ties to developers, property speculators, etc.

When the market strengthens these individuals will be squeezed out through natural selection. The city needs to to subsidize this environment heavily. The downtown loans program is a good start, but there needs to be more. Proper enforcement and grants for renovations would be another good start. Also, rewarding good property owners for setting high standards is another.

RePinion
Mar 3, 2008, 7:28 PM
^ In principle that should happen. But relying on market forces alone isn't always a wise decision ... and it can take a very long time to effect a desired goal. It is contingent upon when the market strengthens, where it strengthens, and the degree to which it does strengthen. Intervention such as issuing grants and imposing penalties can accelerate latent market forces by encouraging the actions of owners whose efforts will increase property values while at the same time punishing those whose actions can stagnate or decrease them.

HAMRetrofit
Mar 3, 2008, 7:44 PM
I think if the right financial environment is created and the right guidelines are in place it is the best option for renewal. If not, there is not really much else that can be done besides the city acting as developer.

RePinion
Mar 3, 2008, 7:47 PM
On a macro level, I'm usually very opposed to government intervention. On a micro level, such as here, I think it is utterly necessary. I agree with you. The area needs to be heavily subsidized. I wish the city would pour everything it had into revitalizing the downtown through loans, grants, tax breaks, etc. It would be nice if the province would chip in too (I won't even get started on the Feds ...).

HAMRetrofit
Mar 3, 2008, 8:01 PM
The Feds are too busy with arctic sovereignty and tar sands to do anything for cities like Hamilton. Tar sands are their new money pit. It really think Ontario is going to get royally screwed by this eventually.

RePinion
Mar 3, 2008, 8:06 PM
Did you read the budget? The Feds don't have any new money pit. That's the big problem. They aren't spending much on anything (except debt reduction and of course politically motivated projects like increased transfer payments to Quebec). $1b for urban infrastructure across the board is paltry. Ontario is going to get screwed for sure, as it has been getting screwed for decades.

DC83
Mar 5, 2008, 3:21 PM
So I noticed this morning that the Tim Horton's at John/Jackson is being reno'd.
It's such a shame the city isn't making Tim's push the store up to the streetfront. It's just getting a new interior (I believe).

I guess that means my hopes of that store eventually being pushed up to the street will never happen.

highwater
Mar 5, 2008, 6:34 PM
Aaaacccchhh ... more stucco. But at least they look clean. Not the sort of aesthetic I'd be promoting on King Street though, looks hopelessly cheap.

And hopelessly uninviting with those nasty little windows. People like to see and be seen. The food would have to be pretty amazing before I could screw up the courage to storm that stucco fortress.

raisethehammer
Mar 17, 2008, 10:12 PM
word on Locke St today is that this company

http://www.lululemon.com/home

is opening a store in half of the Trident Variety store across from the Bad Dog. The variety store is already moving all of their stuff into one half of the space and then the store will be divided into 2 spaces with lululemon occupying the new 'half'.

SteelTown
Mar 17, 2008, 10:34 PM
^ If that's true Locke Street is definitely on the up swing.

fastcarsfreedom
Mar 17, 2008, 10:49 PM
Lululemon at least in the short run is an honest-to-goodness destination store--that will drive retail traffic onto Locke.

SteelTown
Mar 17, 2008, 11:00 PM
Locke Street is getting pretty tight already. I wouldn't be surprised now that we start to see retail owners making bids to buy out current owners to take their spot away.

SteelTown
Mar 17, 2008, 11:10 PM
Another thing Lululemon usually are in shopping malls so this is a good trend. I personally would love to see a fashion district, Main St W just isn't going to work. Perhaps in the future Main St W will get the spill out effect of Locke St.

raisethehammer
Mar 17, 2008, 11:39 PM
also, Starbucks opens Wednesday and on a sad note, the new owners of the Bad Dog have ruined the place.
instead of a 'Cheers' type atmosphere, laid back and friendly, now it's like an 80's niteclub at 8:00am. Don't get me wrong. I love the 80's, but not at 8 in the morning when I'm trying to read the paper or chat.
Also, rudeness seems to be the new operating motto. I've been in touch with a bunch of the old 'gang' that used to congregate at the Dog most mornings to see if I was losing my mind or in fact things have gone downhill...sure enough, everyone has already moved on looking for their new relaxed spot - Bailey's on James North is picking up some of the business based on a few folks I chatted with...also, the Courtyard a block up the street is winning new customers from the cast-off Bad Dog crowd.
There may never be another cafe like it in Hamilton...it was a fun ride and one of the most unique social phenomenon I've ever seen spring up in a small, hidden-away cafe.
So long Bad Dog...it was real.

thistleclub
Mar 17, 2008, 11:48 PM
Locke South is tight on the half-kilometer south of Hunter but airy on the other side of the bridge, so spilling onto Main West might be a way off yet. Even within the current cluster, there's room for more businesses, especially ones with built-in consumer cachet. Locke has always seemed to embrace turnover, reinventing itself as much as somewhere like Westdale has, probably more.

SteelTown
Mar 18, 2008, 12:06 AM
Where extactly is Courtyard? I tried to find the place for the crepes but couldn't find it. Ended up trying that new Mexican/Italian place instead.

highwater
Mar 18, 2008, 12:29 AM
Locke has always seemed to embrace turnover, reinventing itself as much as somewhere like Westdale has, probably more.

Way more. Westdale has a ways to go. It's having a bit of an identity crisis at the moment, IMO. It can't decide whether to cater to students with tanning parlours, computer stores, and fast food joints, or court the professionals, academics, and tree huggers with cafes, bistros, and unique shops. It's an uneasy mix.

Goldfinger
Mar 18, 2008, 2:53 AM
also, Starbucks opens Wednesday and on a sad note, the new owners of the Bad Dog have ruined the place.
instead of a 'Cheers' type atmosphere, laid back and friendly, now it's like an 80's niteclub at 8:00am. Don't get me wrong. I love the 80's, but not at 8 in the morning when I'm trying to read the paper or chat.
Also, rudeness seems to be the new operating motto. I've been in touch with a bunch of the old 'gang' that used to congregate at the Dog most mornings to see if I was losing my mind or in fact things have gone downhill...sure enough, everyone has already moved on looking for their new relaxed spot - Bailey's on James North is picking up some of the business based on a few folks I chatted with...also, the Courtyard a block up the street is winning new customers from the cast-off Bad Dog crowd.
There may never be another cafe like it in Hamilton...it was a fun ride and one of the most unique social phenomenon I've ever seen spring up in a small, hidden-away cafe.
So long Bad Dog...it was real.

Well now that your mornings are free, maybe you can find yourself a job.

the dude
Mar 18, 2008, 8:36 AM
there was so much confusion regarding the bad dog. i didn't think anything was going to change. too bad. sounds like a bizarre-o remodel.

SteelTown
Mar 18, 2008, 7:35 PM
I saw Mayor Fred and his posse today at Mohawk College, they were walking and talking together down a hallway. Perhaps Mayor Fred is trying to push a Lister Block deal with Mohawk.

BCTed
Mar 19, 2008, 12:32 AM
I saw Mayor Fred and his posse today at Mohawk College, they were walking and talking together down a hallway. Perhaps Mayor Fred is trying to push a Lister Block deal with Mohawk.

SteelTown, I love you and all, but sometimes your speculation is a huge stretch. You have to be careful because people sometimes actually take what you say and run with it.

SteelTown
Mar 19, 2008, 12:37 AM
He was talking to the Dean of the Communication Department, which we all know needs space as the portables aren't doing it anymore and currently house at the F wing, which was built to be temporary (been well over 15 years now lol)

DC83
Mar 19, 2008, 2:02 AM
Interesting news, Steeltown!! We'll have to keep our eyes peeled to find out more. And to be honest, I LOVE ur enthusiasm & excitement u bring to this Forum!!
... Hamilton needs more 'Steeltowns' who get excited over what's going on in our awesome City.

raisethehammer
Mar 19, 2008, 2:37 AM
SteelTown, I love you and all, but sometimes your speculation is a huge stretch. You have to be careful because people sometimes actually take what you say and run with it.

you, on the other hand, never have to worry about that.

SteelTown
Mar 19, 2008, 2:40 AM
I do try to steer away from getting too excited and making wild suggestions. I remember when I was informed from work about a possible medical centre for the downtown core and I totally kept my mouth shut for awhile. Names came up like Balsillie and Braley, never said a word until the Hamilton NHL thing came up and so I mentioned Balsillie. Then once it became crystal clear Braley will definitely donate (our lab got $10 million, which we haven’t received the money yet) to create a medicine centre in the downtown core I warned you guys of a big announcement at McMaster. Some of you asked if it was related to the downtown. I basically lied and said no, did that to keep the excitement down and to keep you off my back lol. Weeks later when the announcement came you all got surprised lol.

the dude
Mar 19, 2008, 4:03 AM
you're kinda like santa claus, steeltown. you always bring good tidings and plenty of cheer. keep up the good work.

incidentally, if the lululemon news is true, then it's absolutely ginormous. my wife's an avid shopper [arg], so i'm familiar with their work. it's a massive destination store. i think the closest one is in mississauga, so this will draw large numbers of people to locke...now, where will they park? also, i wonder if we'll see some of the antique shops get displaced. it could be that locke is undergoing another transformation. dundurn could definitely benefit from this possibility.

BCTed
Mar 19, 2008, 4:22 AM
you, on the other hand, never have to worry about that.

That's true... because I am full of hooey and speak mistruths on an hourly basis.

HAMRetrofit
Mar 19, 2008, 4:41 AM
Don't feed the troll everyone.

raisethehammer
Mar 19, 2008, 11:18 AM
I do try to steer away from getting too excited and making wild suggestions. I remember when I was informed from work about a possible medical centre for the downtown core and I totally kept my mouth shut for awhile. Names came up like Balsillie and Braley, never said a word until the Hamilton NHL thing came up and so I mentioned Balsillie. Then once it became crystal clear Braley will definitely donate (our lab got $10 million, which we haven’t received the money yet) to create a medicine centre in the downtown core I warned you guys of a big announcement at McMaster. Some of you asked if it was related to the downtown. I basically lied and said no, did that to keep the excitement down and to keep you off my back lol. Weeks later when the announcement came you all got surprised lol.

Steeltown...no need to explain yourself to the troll.
You're probably the best source of real, level-headed info on this board. I alway look forward to reading what you've got to say. Keep it up.

BCTed
Mar 19, 2008, 12:38 PM
Steeltown...no need to explain yourself to the troll.
You're probably the best source of real, level-headed info on this board. I alway look forward to reading what you've got to say. Keep it up.

I did not try to have SteelTown silenced in the manner that you try to have me silenced. I merely cautioned him not to make too much of a stretch.

I have tried to accord you respect and I have tried to make peace with you in the past. You have never done the same with me. Stop it.

raisethehammer
Mar 19, 2008, 1:12 PM
ooh, threatened by a troll! yikes.

oldcoote
Mar 19, 2008, 1:52 PM
incidentally, if the lululemon news is true, then it's absolutely ginormous. my wife's an avid shopper [arg], so i'm familiar with their work. it's a massive destination store. i think the closest one is in mississauga, so this will draw large numbers of people to locke...now, where will they park? also, i wonder if we'll see some of the antique shops get displaced. it could be that locke is undergoing another transformation. dundurn could definitely benefit from this possibility.

You're right.

Lululemon is currently a destination store and will be great for Locke St.

There is one in Sherway and downtown (old) Oakville. The company recently went public as a means to raise money and aggressively expand. It's a great thing they chose Locke St.

A word of warning though (especially if you have teenaged daughters). The stuff is trendy and very expensive.

DC83
Mar 19, 2008, 2:03 PM
You're right.

Lululemon is currently a destination store and will be great for Locke St.

There is one in Sherway and downtown (old) Oakville. The company recently went public as a means to raise money and aggressively expand. It's a great thing they chose Locke St.

A word of warning though (especially if you have teenaged daughters). The stuff is trendy and very expensive.

There's also one at the Yonge & Eglinton area, Forest Hill, Toronto... the ultimate yuppy hood! haha

It's always busy up there (when I'm in the area anyway), and I can see it doing well on Locke as well.

I hope this trend continues... then retailers wont be able to ignore Downtown Hamilton for much longer!

block43
Mar 19, 2008, 2:21 PM
I'd heard from one of my friends that drafted one of the questions for the mayor that the Mayor was at Mohawk to talk with a communications class on what it is like to be the Mayor.

Goldfinger
Mar 19, 2008, 3:01 PM

I know you would be shitting your skirt if this were in person.:haha:

raisethehammer
Mar 19, 2008, 4:28 PM
I noticed today on Locke that the old variety store is already being divided into two storefronts. the variety store will take the unit to the south. the new store will go at the corner.
also, apparently starbucks opens tonight.

BCTed
Mar 20, 2008, 4:01 AM

I was not threatening anybody. I am not a troll.

HAMRetrofit
Mar 20, 2008, 5:30 AM
The fact that you don't contribute relevant discourse to the thread makes you a troll.

FairHamilton
Mar 20, 2008, 12:56 PM
There's also one at the Yonge & Eglinton area, Forest Hill, Toronto... the ultimate yuppy hood! haha

And on Queen West in TO.

DC83
Mar 20, 2008, 1:16 PM
And on Queen West in TO.

Hey kewl, thanks! I didn't know that! I haven't spent much time on Queen West since I was a teenager.

Queen West & Forest Hill are two established shopping districts, so it looks good on Hamilton to get one in our downtown!

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope big name retail stops ignoring downtown now that the yuppy shops (Lulu & Starbucks) are moving in!!

raisethehammer
Mar 20, 2008, 2:57 PM
Hey kewl, thanks! I didn't know that! I haven't spent much time on Queen West since I was a teenager.

Queen West & Forest Hill are two established shopping districts, so it looks good on Hamilton to get one in our downtown!

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope big name retail stops ignoring downtown now that the yuppy shops (Lulu & Starbucks) are moving in!!

hmmm, I asked this very question over in the Locke St discussion and only recieved one reply so far - from BCTed stating that the big retailers/chains don't operate like that, following each other into new neighbourhoods.
Queen West in TO seems to indicate otherwise, but I really have no idea...does anyone know if the presence of two mega-chains like Lulu and Starbucks will help draw other big retail downtown or is Ted right?

SteelTown
Mar 20, 2008, 3:14 PM
does anyone know if the presence of two mega-chains like Lulu and Starbucks will help draw other big retail downtown or is Ted right?

Simple answer....yes!

It's called gentrification. Starbucks will be known for kicking it off. On CH they mentioned a new jewelry store will open up directly across from Starbucks, there opening up there because that's the kind of clientele that they seek. Lulu coming to Locke will definitely signal gentrification is alive and on steroid. Maybe up next is American Apparel, I know they’ve been hunting for locations in the Golden Horseshoe area.

I bet the owner of West Town has probably received a lot of offers for that empty store at the corner. That spot would be PERFECT for a clothing retail store.

RePinion
Mar 20, 2008, 3:33 PM
American Apparel would certainly be an option for Hamilton given the popularity of the store with university students. That being said, Westdale might prove the better location for that chain. AA's image really isn't a yuppy one.

Lululemon strikes me as possibly the most appropriate new apparel store for Locke. I could also see a Mendocino on that street (they have one on Queen street in the Beaches in Toronto, which kind of has a similar feel to Locke).

raisethehammer
Mar 20, 2008, 3:42 PM
work is progressing in the corner building owned by the WestTown guys. Not sure what's happening in there, but reno's are underway.
American Apparel would do good on Locke, Westdale or downtown.
Hopefully Stinson can fend off LIUNA and get the Connaught and do some good retail in the streetfront retail space. He already mentioned Starbucks for King and John.
And Williams Coffee Pub is continuing to negotiate for the space in the Foster/MacKay buildings on the Gore...I hope they go there...would be awesome to get a new patio/cafe downtown.