PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Update

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59

the dude
Aug 2, 2008, 2:43 AM
we're all about the dong here in nam. it's the joke that never gets old.

there are a few sites in hamilton that are cursed to forever fail: the old ponderosa/gliders/crabby joes/dimaggio's/players site at the highway 8/2 intersection; and the aforementioned site. the biggest problem is that it doesn't have any visibility from the street. i don't know of anything that's been successful for a sustained period at that location.

DC83
Aug 2, 2008, 10:31 PM
^^ ya I think the Eden Thai place used to be a Kelsey's??

raisethehammer
Aug 5, 2008, 1:57 AM
an update on the Tivoli Theatre:

http://www.myhamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/35D2B576-E830-4C09-A2BC-F0F5BA4D6EF6/0/Aug05PED08187.pdf

DC83
Aug 6, 2008, 8:37 PM
On the bright side, I noticed a new asian-esq eatery or something opening up next to the Shawarma Hut on John St S @ Jackson. This is a storefront that has sat empty since before the two-way conversion. Pretty excited to see what it actually is!

So it's going to be a Bubble Tea House. Don't know what the name of it is yet? But it looks like it's just about ready to open, so we'll have to wait and see!

raisethehammer
Aug 6, 2008, 8:43 PM
nice! I'll have to check it out.
How many bubble tea places can downtown support?? geez.
Good location though...tons of Asian students live in that area.
I hope some of these places will install sliding front glass in the future (like Gallaghers and the Lionshead).

DC83
Aug 6, 2008, 8:46 PM
^^ This one is too little for that, but the whole storefront is glass. Looks very nice.

I'm not even sure there are Bubble Tea places in the area? Sure there's a hell of a lot of lil Asian bistros, I just have no damn clue what they are since I can't read asian!? There's one up the street right beside Gallaghers, but I think it's one of those hot pot restos like Lui Lui on Walnut @ King.

Regardless, it's better than the empty storefront that has been there since as long as I can even remember!

raisethehammer
Aug 6, 2008, 8:54 PM
oh yeah, don't get me wrong. I love all the Asian places. I wasn't saying it as a negative. The closest bubble tea place is in the ground floor of Landmark place. Try getting into that place in the evening. It's nuts.
Yea, the one south on John is a hot pot place. Friggin sweet.
Hope this Rang Dong place in the goofy plaza at Young does good....I love Pho, so I'll check it out for sure.
I heard great things about Eden Thai though...and it didn't make it so it's gotta be tough being hidden behind that house.

DC83
Aug 6, 2008, 9:20 PM
^^ I believe that place was a Kelsey's in the past. How could a Kelsey's close down? I don't get it... it's the lack of streetview, I think.
On the same note, for the 1st time in my life (that's like 4 yrs of living in Corktown) I saw the owner of that one house that's in the plaza's parking lot!!! She was just as crazy as I had imagined... no cats tho :(

Rang Dong got a new paint job and will be open Friday, August 8th! If you love Pho, you know where to go!

re: Eden Thai, it wasn't horrible... just not nearly as good as My Thai!

flar
Aug 6, 2008, 9:32 PM
Mo' Pho

matt602
Aug 10, 2008, 4:59 PM
Mo' Pho

I see what you did there.;)

northender98
Aug 20, 2008, 2:55 AM
Hey All,
I thought I would inform everyone that the spa on the west side of James is moving to the east side of James. It is called "La Petite Spa". It is next to the Loose Cannon gallery which is near the new headquarters of mixed media. The place looks very nice inside and the outside face is well done. Northender

http://www.lapetitespa.ca/

hmagazine
Aug 20, 2008, 3:00 AM
From Bob Bratina:

The activity currently taking place at James and Vine is the beginning of the demolition of the building closest to Vine on James. I received a message regarding property standards issues and had staff respond. The initial survey of the property suggested that although it was somewhat dilapidated it was not a candidate for demolition. Staff continued their examination of the building, observing it from nearby office windows and determining that the roof was about to collapse, likely because of the recent series of downpours. Staff has determined that it is in fact in danger of collapse and will proceed with a demolition order.

In my opinion this is a step forward for James North. The building had no redeeming qualities in my view and its demolition may well lead to better things for James North.

Bob Bratina.

raisethehammer
Aug 20, 2008, 3:08 AM
it will lead to another parking lot.
but whatever. hopefully someone will build there once all the other properties are fixed up and full.

matt602
Aug 20, 2008, 4:14 AM
I agree with Bob, I don't think there was any use for the building. Apparently the building suffered a fire at some point in the past which took away it's 3rd floor. I'm sure given James North's success, the property won't sit empty for too long. It's gonna be a great space for a potential condo.

SteelTown
Aug 20, 2008, 11:04 AM
City orders 1883 building demolished

August 20, 2008
Daniel Nolan
The Hamilton Spectator

The City of Hamilton has ordered the owners of a dilapidated James Street North building to demolish it after an inspector said it is unsafe and posed a danger to passersby and people who might enter it.

It's the latest building dilemma to hit the downtown after another building partially collapsed and had to be torn down on nearby King William Street in April.

Crews from Power Property Services were called to 123 James St. N. (James and Vine streets) by the city at about 5 p.m. after building inspector John Spolnik placed an order on the building.

He said a Monday inspection found that as a result of a previous fire and recent collapses of the floors, it was structurally inadequate. The building, built in 1883, suffered $400,000 damage in a July 1999 blaze, and it was to be torn down.

The contractors installed a wood awning over the sidewalk and barricades about six metres at the south side of the building and at the rear of the building, as required under the city's order to comply. The order also requires the owners, 123 James Street North Inc. of Waterloo, "under the direction of a professional engineer, (to) demolish the three-storey building, level and clear site."

Vince Lan, owner of the neighbouring Jade Garden restaurant, had sympathy for the building owners when it was struck by what police said was a set fire. He said the boarded up building has been vacant for a long time, but said it does not bother his business. Still, he said, "It's better to see the land vacant than to see something like that."

The owners could not be reached for comment.

The most celebrated collapse involved the late lamented Tivoli Theatre, kitty-corner to the building now facing the city order. The front of the once popular movie house had to be torn down in 2004 after it partially collapsed, but there are plans by a youth ballet company to save its theatre area.

raisethehammer
Aug 20, 2008, 11:33 AM
I agree with Bob, I don't think there was any use for the building. Apparently the building suffered a fire at some point in the past which took away it's 3rd floor. I'm sure given James North's success, the property won't sit empty for too long. It's gonna be a great space for a potential condo.

is this building on the northwest corner of James and vine? next to the parking lot?

SteelTown
Aug 20, 2008, 11:49 AM
Yep, next to that stalled 1 Vine St proposal.

hmagazine
Aug 20, 2008, 3:43 PM
The billboards on top of the new Hamilton Artists Inc. building at James and Cannon are being taken down today...

Lots of action down here today...

matt602
Aug 20, 2008, 5:44 PM
I hope this sign gets preserved for future use. I'm sure the art community could do something with it (although it may not be included in the demo anyway as that building appears to be 129 James N.)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k201/sugarton/Downtown%20Hamilton/leon.jpg

raisethehammer
Aug 20, 2008, 5:53 PM
yup...wicked sign. I love that thing.

raisethehammer
Aug 20, 2008, 5:53 PM
rumour has an Italian Bistro going into Infusions.
Lissa's Bistro is opening on Augusta and includes a patio.

DC83
Aug 20, 2008, 6:13 PM
^^ Wow, I think downtown needs more Italian eateries. It's currently dominated by the Asian cuisine market (ok ok, which downtown ISN'T) so good news!

Where exactly is Lissa's going? (if you happen to know?)

raisethehammer
Aug 20, 2008, 6:20 PM
the old Augustines' space...2 doors down from Aout and About.
Also trying to confirm rumours of a Portuguese eatery going into Imperial Coiffures at John/Young.

SteelTown
Aug 20, 2008, 6:22 PM
More Italian bistros the better! I would absolutely love to have an Italian style sweets store, kinda like Sweet Paradise but a Cafe style not a grocery store.

DC83
Aug 20, 2008, 6:26 PM
the old Augustines' space...2 doors down from Aout and About.
Also trying to confirm rumours of a Portuguese eatery going into Imperial Coiffures at John/Young.

Thanks... and I'm sorry to hear about the Portugese eatery... lets hope the rumour was miscommunicated and is actually a Greek resto! hahaha
Gyro = WAYYY better than dried, salted cod :s

More Italian bistros the better! I would absolutely love to have an Italian style sweets store, kinda like Sweet Paradise but a Cafe style not a grocery store.

Just walk down James North :P
edit: chances are it would be a Portugese cafe tho :(

SteelTown
Aug 20, 2008, 6:36 PM
Nah, I want stuff like this....

http://www.rimonthly.com/images/2007/October_2007/O7EC100FED.jpg

Like Sweet Paradise, they even make good donuts too haha.

hmagazine
Aug 20, 2008, 7:17 PM
The Imperial Coiffures space on John South is going to be turned into a little diner style takeout place run by the cook who used to be involved with Buddy's in the East End - he's a Serbian guy who wants to serve homestyle burgers, fries, etc.

I'm trying to reach him before he renos the outside - wouldn't it be great if he called it "Imperial Burgers" or "Imperial Grill"

Keep it Imperial!

raisethehammer
Aug 20, 2008, 7:39 PM
yes!! Great news.
Please do tell him to not screw with that wicked facade. I love it.
I used to get my haircut there. The only reason I walked in was because of the facade.

hope he has some eat-in seats too....more diners the better downtown. I'm itching for one to locate in the old GP Grumpy's space. patio and everything!

raisethehammer
Aug 20, 2008, 7:39 PM
Steeltown - go to Franks Sicilia Bakery at Barton and Sherman...you'll love it!
Also, I think Pane Del Sole makes all that stuff too - John/Cannnon.
Perhaps Ola Bakery/Cafe on James North too.

markbarbera
Aug 20, 2008, 8:12 PM
Frank's Sicilia has the best damn cannoli in the city!

raisethehammer
Aug 20, 2008, 8:13 PM
and the best birthday cake. It's unreal.

matt602
Aug 21, 2008, 12:14 AM
Infusions rumour is slightly wrong according to my info. They're just renovating and coming back with a larger eating selection. Notice how the sign has the same colors still after they cleaned it up. The interior is still nearly the same as well, it's just been touched up.

I could very well be wrong though. Looks like we'll find out in a month or less.

DC83
Aug 21, 2008, 12:53 AM
The Imperial Coiffures space on John South is going to be turned into a little diner style takeout place run by the cook who used to be involved with Buddy's in the East End - he's a Serbian guy who wants to serve homestyle burgers, fries, etc.

I'm trying to reach him before he renos the outside - wouldn't it be great if he called it "Imperial Burgers" or "Imperial Grill"

Keep it Imperial!

Great info, thanks HMag! Can't wait to check it out when it opens.

ye
hope he has some eat-in seats too....more diners the better downtown. I'm itching for one to locate in the old GP Grumpy's space. patio and everything!

They've brought some furniture in, and it seems to have a modern look/feel. If he's spending the money to completely re-do the inside, I'm sure he'll be changing the façade too. But ya never know! I'm just glad to see something FINALLY happening with this place! It's been empty for aslong as I can remember... thanks again two-way conversion :)

raisethehammer
Aug 21, 2008, 2:21 AM
Great info, thanks HMag! Can't wait to check it out when it opens.

They've brought some furniture in, and it seems to have a modern look/feel. If he's spending the money to completely re-do the inside, I'm sure he'll be changing the façade too. But ya never know! I'm just glad to see something FINALLY happening with this place! It's been empty for aslong as I can remember... thanks again two-way conversion :)

it hasn't been empty 'forever'. My hair cutting lady just moved out of there about 7 or 8 months ago.

Regardless of the Infusions rumours, I'm glad that it's been spruced up and re-opened. I was worried that we might have another Zig Zag Zebra on our hands.

matt602
Aug 21, 2008, 3:37 AM
I have a prediction that all of the properties on the South side of Gore will be occupied and in-use within the next 5 years so long as the transit terminal project is realized within the 2010 time frame. Realistically though, all that's left un-occupied is Zig-Zag Zebra, the Foster building (for now) and various above-store rental units. Things are not as bad as they sometimes look when you think about it.

flar
Aug 21, 2008, 3:58 AM
Things are not as bad as they sometimes look when you think about it.

Everyone talks about downtown being all boarded up, but most of the buildings are occupied. Even Jackson Square is mostly full. Maybe they aren't businesses people would like to see, or maybe they're too focused on the few notable properties that are boarded up :shrug:

SteelTown
Aug 21, 2008, 11:15 AM
Building coming down
123 James St. N. too dangerous

August 21, 2008
Rachel De Lazzer
The Hamilton Spectator

A heritage building on James Street North will be demolished by the end of the month.

The owner said he is just waiting to hear from the city how much time he has. It was built in 1883.

"I do have a call into the city ... to see what sort of time frame they're going to give me but we're pretty much ready to go," said the building's owner, Michael Silvestro, 52, of Waterloo-based 123 James Street North Inc.

While a date has yet to be set for demolition, city building services director John Spolnik said the job will take at least a few days to complete. Boarding was placed around the building Tuesday night and crews were barricading the building and disconnecting the gas yesterday.

Silvestro's company bought the building two years ago.

He said he had hoped to purchase adjacent units to the north on the street, tear everything down and build an office building in their place, using some of the heritage features of the old building.

"We were looking at trying to bring in more professionals down into that old area," he said.

"When we couldn't negotiate with the other landowners, we decided to put the building up for sale again ... but now that we're knocking this one down, we may just go ahead and build something on the property anyway."

The property is listed on MLS at $339,900.

At this point, Silvestro said he anticipates constructing a smaller office building.

He said one reason he bought the building was that James Street North was an area his father used to take him to when he was young and lived in Hamilton. He now lives in Kitchener.

"It was kind of a sentimental location."

Jim Alabakopoulos owned the building with his wife, Stephanie, before Silvestro.

He said it was a dump when they bought it in 1994 and they worked hard to renovate it. He had planned to build 14 condominium lofts on the second and third floors where there were then only nine residential units.

The building was severely damaged by fire in 1999, at which point the city removed the damaged roof and fourth floor walls for safety reasons, Spolnik said.

He said the building is on the city's list of properties of architectural or historical interest but had not been designated.

Three businesses operated on the first floor at the time of the fire, including Flowers by Sally, Get Married and Cosmopolitan Travel, which has since moved across the street.

Alabakopoulos said the flower store had been there for 90 years and at some point before he owned it there was a newspaper operating on its ground floor.

He says he asked the city for several years for money to help restore the building but was unsuccessful.

SteelTown
Aug 21, 2008, 11:17 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/Aallen396/vine.jpg

The building between the proposed building and Leon's Fur is getting demolished.

raisethehammer
Aug 21, 2008, 12:01 PM
a new downtown update over at RTH:

http://www.raisethehammer.org/blog.asp?id=1086

flar
Aug 21, 2008, 12:06 PM
In the article it said they wanted to buy and demolish the whole block for an office building. This is why you build up in cities.

raisethehammer
Aug 21, 2008, 12:10 PM
yea, I was thinking to myself "what kind of office building are they thinking about?" that's a HUGE footprint. Will it be 45 stories?? No, probably a 3 storey, McMaster style bunker.
Sheesh...hopefully they move ahead now with a smaller one.

DC83
Aug 21, 2008, 12:30 PM
Ya, smaller in this hood is better. Lets not take away from the intimate atmosphere of James North.

Sorry rth, I had NO idea that imperial coiffures had ever been open. I've walked up and down that street almost every day for the last two years and haven't seen a soul in there :s

re: Zig Zag Zebra... it has a lot more to do than just a business gone under. The owner was involved in some more serious issues that go beyond the restaurant business. I'm sure he got himself into some trouble, hence why it closed. Same with Rainbow lounge before it. I only had the oportunity to eat there twice, and the food was fantastic. Got a tour of the rest of the building and saw why it was even opened in the 1st place. Think SandBar.

hmagazine
Aug 21, 2008, 2:53 PM
Re: Building coming down
123 James St. N. too dangerous

As a business owner on James North, I must say that it is welcome news to hear that 123 James St. N. will soon be demolished. A shell of its former self, this once beautiful late 19th century building has sat empty for close to ten years due to a fire that ripped through its upper floors. Why has the city allowed a building in this condition to remain standing for so long on one of its main streets? Why do we allow absentee building owners from another city the opportunity to sit on their dilapitated properties? This reckless attitude and damaging behaviour should not be tolerated by our city's senior staff and elected officials who promote Hamilton far and wide as a great place to live, work and play. What does it say about our city to investors and visitors when they see burned out buildings in the middle of a historic neighbourhood revitalizing itself? I can tell you what kind of message that sends out - do whatever you want here because we don't care. We are a city who rewards folks like Mr. Silvestro who can afford to play the waiting game. No one at City Hall barked at him to do anything with his building. Thus, giving him the time to convince his neighbours to sell their now devalued properties to him so he can knock down the entire block to build an ill-fitting office tower. He obviously doesn't understand the charm and dynamic of James North if he thinks we need a development like his to bring "more professionals down into that old area". Don't feel sorry for the owner of this problem property, the only folks suffering are the neighbouring businesses across the street who have had to look at this mess for a decade.

Dave Kuruc
Member of the James North Initiative

FairHamilton
Aug 21, 2008, 3:40 PM
^ Well said. Here, here!!

raisethehammer
Aug 21, 2008, 7:56 PM
great letter Dave.
Yea, I'd really like to know what kind of 'tower' he was planning...that's a HUGE block.

flar
Aug 22, 2008, 1:53 AM
I 'm sure he planned a two story building with loads of parking around it.

Bob Bratina
Aug 22, 2008, 7:05 AM
The guy who bought the building at John and Augusta is Croatian. Voyo is a super young man who talked to me about the neighbourhood before deciding to buy, and has an excellent business plan for the property.

On 123 James North, (" He says he asked the city for several years for money to help restore the building but was unsuccessful") sometimes things are lost in translation by reporters. I wouldn't count as gospel that he "asked the City for money" because we don't give out money in our Downtown renewal programs. We did meet with Jim on several occasions, outlining what was available but he never made formal application to us for any of them. After those discussions he decided rather than develop, simply to sell the property. Our Downtown Residential Loans Program is just that....not a cash give-away. The Enterprize Program provides for tax breaks upon completion of a building, and our Commercial Property Improvement Grant (CPIG) gives a matching grant for facade improvements. We do provide a limited grant for designated heritage properties Downtown, but 123 James North was not designated. The full list of City incentives is available at www.myhamilton.ca
under City Departments, Projects and Initiatives, Downtown Renewal. The residential loans program has been an outstanding success, generating almost $200 million dollars in development on about $1.3 million dollars applied to the interest on our loans, which have had zero default.

raisethehammer
Aug 22, 2008, 11:25 AM
thanks Bob.
Yea, I chatted with Voy yesterday. Great guy. He loves the neighbourhood and seems to know what he's doing.
I think his working name for the place at this point is "Street Meat BBQ".

Jon Dalton
Aug 22, 2008, 5:14 PM
Speaking of John and Augusta, I often gaze over at the parking lot on the southwest corner and wonder why it isn't bought up and developed. In an established pub area like this wouldn't that just be a slam dunk of a project? I'm thinking bar/restaurant on the lower level with high end quality apartments on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

markbarbera
Aug 22, 2008, 5:32 PM
thanks Bob.
Yea, I chatted with Voy yesterday. Great guy. He loves the neighbourhood and seems to know what he's doing.
I think his working name for the place at this point is "Street Meat BBQ".

The name 'Street Meat' would infer that it's going to be a take-away place. Will there be seating or just counter service?

raisethehammer
Aug 22, 2008, 6:13 PM
both, seating and counter service.

FairHamilton
Aug 22, 2008, 7:05 PM
I hope he can think up a better name.

DC83
Aug 23, 2008, 12:10 PM
Ya great name... for a hot dog stand!! haha

Not really a 'downtown' update, but one from one of my favourite inner-city villages:
Pepe Panini Sandwiches has just opened in the Main/Kenilworth Village (ps I just made that name up since I don't think it has one?) on Main near Barons Ave.

This area is already quite busy and full of pedestrian activity. Only thing it needs is more patio space. Aceti's patio is always empty :(
Once LRT stops here, watch out! Could be another inner-city real estate hot spot!

flar
Aug 23, 2008, 12:20 PM
^^I agree, I think the whole area from the Detla eastward has a lot (perhaps the most) to gain from LRT. Plenty of storefronts along Main and King. The houses out towards Kenilworth and Parkdale may not have the Victorian grandeur of those in the west part of the city, but they are solid houses and the prices are good.

DC83
Aug 23, 2008, 12:45 PM
^^ They're fantastic starter homes, that's for sure.
My brother's friend bought one just N/ Main on Weird and it's a perfect size for a young professional. Very walkable, has everything one would need on Main.
Rosedale, however, is the starter-home mecca of Hamilton IMO anyway.

fastcarsfreedom
Aug 23, 2008, 2:21 PM
Rosedale is a great area - my dad grew up there - my grandparents bought a house on Cochrane when it was new -- actually a "suburban" subdivision at the time.

MsMe
Aug 23, 2008, 2:25 PM
One problem with Rosedale area now is depending how close to the Redhill Hwy you are due to noise etc. But it has been the most desirable and higher priced locations in the east end areas over the years.

DC83
Aug 23, 2008, 2:45 PM
Rosedale is a great area - my dad grew up there - my grandparents bought a house on Cochrane when it was new -- actually a "suburban" subdivision at the time.

Although most houses are new'ish, as Flar has pointed out in the past, Rosedale (aka Bartonville) is one of the oldest communities in Hamilton. Check out the cemetery there! Needs a better commercial base along King St tho, imo.

MsMe
Aug 23, 2008, 2:51 PM
If you are refering to the cemetery on King and Bell Ave. Yea those are really old graves. We used to play there in that cemetery when we were kids. We used to scare the crap out of one my friends and we would hide behind these big stones and put our hands around the stones to make it look like a hand was coming out of the grave, and tell her it was a hand from the grave trying to grab her. Then my friend would run home screaming. I know we were so bad. LOL

bornagainbiking
Aug 23, 2008, 3:36 PM
One problem with Rosedale area now is depending how close to the Redhill Hwy you are due to noise etc. But it has been the most desirable and higher priced locations in the east end areas over the years.

Rosedale is the hidden treasure of Hamilton. As for the Redhill sometimes you can hear a big truck on the RHVP but as the trees thicken after the valley work it will deaden the sound (think DVP). For the downside, but the upside is the new Kenilworth Stairs (stairmaster)and the Valley itself (treadmill). Skate at the Rosedale arena. Great area for a family except closing the separate school. HSR Bus runs thru every 10 mins in the morning.

Like going to to grandmothers house you can trot thru the valley and over the RHVP to the 24 hr store at Mount Albion and Greenhill.

The new road I can get to Pearson in 40 mins on a Sat afternoon. Or the new Upper Stoney Creek Home Depot/Silver city in what 5 mins. So will commuters use this as the new base.

Most definately the area could use some new business as the King/Rosedale plaza is limited and the BARN there is soooooooooooooo slow.....

Did I mention that the new Centre Mall is only 5 mins going down Kenilworth...

So yes it is a great starter or empty nest area.

MsMe
Aug 23, 2008, 3:43 PM
Yea it needs more businesses in the area. But not sure there is much space to put much since there is so many residential housing there.

raisethehammer
Aug 23, 2008, 4:44 PM
^^ They're fantastic starter homes, that's for sure.
My brother's friend bought one just N/ Main on Weird and it's a perfect size for a young professional. Very walkable, has everything one would need on Main.
Rosedale, however, is the starter-home mecca of Hamilton IMO anyway.

I assume you meant to say "Weir"? Lol.

I used to live on Cochrane. Learned to ride my bike over there.
I've driven Red Hill/Linc and am amazed at how much nicer the neighbourhoods are when you get off Red Hill and go west on King compared with getting off anywhere on the Linc and driving in any direction.
I'll have to check out Pepe's. My office is at Main/Gage so it's nearby.

DC83
Aug 23, 2008, 5:23 PM
I assume you meant to say "Weir"? Lol.

omg hahaha my bad! I absolutely meant 'Weir'!

I think Pepe's just opened last week. I saw a bunch of balloons outside, assuming that means they had their grand opening.

I love indy sandwich shops. MUCH better than Mr Sub, Subway + Quiznos put together!

MsMe
Aug 23, 2008, 5:43 PM
Mind you I did know some weird people on Weir St. when growing up in that area. LOL

raisethehammer
Aug 23, 2008, 6:21 PM
apparently MegaSubs at King/Cochrane is really good. I've never been though.

DC83
Aug 23, 2008, 7:05 PM
apparently MegaSubs at King/Cochrane is really good. I've never been though.

I'm pretty sure they have a patio, and their store is always busy whenever I pass by. But I've never had it either.

On the same note, Queens Subs (King/Hilda -- The Delta area) is now called Funky Munky or something and they have added a really sketchy-looking patio themselves :s
Used lawn furniture, stuffed animals and plastic plants... oh my!

MsMe
Aug 23, 2008, 7:12 PM
Used lawn furniture, stuffed animals and plastic plants... oh my!

Only in Hamilton eh. LOL

fastcarsfreedom
Aug 23, 2008, 8:06 PM
Been to the Rosedale Barn many times--except it was Miracle Food Mart at the time -- used to take my grandma shopping, she stuck close to home and ended up in the 2020 King complex after the house was sold.

Good sandwiches are hard to find. I have been to a few fantastic independent spots over the years - but also have good things to say about the chains -- remember, those are franchises -- independently operated by local business people -- to that end I favor Quiznos...and one that hasn't come to Canada yet called Jimmy John's...fantastic. I have nothing at all against regular old subs - but sometimes I wonder why it took so long for people to figure out they tasted better out of an oven.

astroblaster
Aug 23, 2008, 9:23 PM
i grew up in rosedale. its such an awesome neighbourhood.

megasubs is fantastic.
endzone bar and grill (in the king/rose plaza) is a decent neighbourhood bar.
shanghai chinese at cochrane and lawrence is great too..

im also interested in learning more about bartonville's history. there are a few old houses still around in that area (Weir's Flowers is in one of them).

MsMe
Aug 23, 2008, 10:18 PM
The white house at the end of Montgmery Park is fairly old too. I remember when I was a kid they had a couple of horses there. We would go watch them train them sometimes while sitting in the park section. Then around the mid 60s they brought in the bylaw no farm animals allowed in the city. So I assume they sold the horses then, rather then board them. Which can be expensive.

raisethehammer
Aug 24, 2008, 3:04 AM
wow...shanghai is still there?? awesome. I used to go there.

raisethehammer
Aug 27, 2008, 1:47 AM
according to a poster on RTH, Al Centro will open up in 1-2 weeks in the former Infusions space.
Let's just hope it's a good cafe and not some pile of crap right near the Gore.

matt602
Aug 27, 2008, 2:22 AM
Interesting.

DC83
Aug 27, 2008, 1:56 PM
according to a poster on RTH, Al Centro will open up in 1-2 weeks in the former Infusions space.
Let's just hope it's a good cafe and not some pile of crap right near the Gore.

I dont' think it'll be a piece of crap. The guys seem pretty dedicated. I was walking by around 10pm last night, and there was one guy working his butt off inside.

I'll be checking it out regardless.

raisethehammer
Aug 27, 2008, 6:10 PM
me too.

also, a new place called White Elephant Vintage opening in the new Mixed Media building.
I'm not sure what it is, but hopefully clothes or vinyl, or both.

hmagazine
Aug 27, 2008, 6:35 PM
www.whiteelephantvintage.com

hmagazine
Aug 27, 2008, 6:47 PM
While I'm giving out info - the new Mixed Media building will house artists' studios upstairs come November 1st.

More details to come...

raisethehammer
Aug 27, 2008, 6:56 PM
www.whiteelephantvintage.com

hot dang...this looks sweet!

ryan_mcgreal
Aug 27, 2008, 8:28 PM
also, a new place called White Elephant Vintage opening in the new Mixed Media building. I'm not sure what it is, but hopefully clothes or vinyl, or both.

My guess is that it sells classic downtown renewal plans on consignment.

raisethehammer
Aug 27, 2008, 10:32 PM
My guess is that it sells classic downtown renewal plans on consignment.

hahaha....nice one.
by the looks of them, they were all on consignment in the first place.

matt602
Aug 28, 2008, 9:38 PM
Well, that didn't take long.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k201/sugarton/Downtown%20Hamilton/demo-jamesnorth.jpg

raisethehammer
Aug 28, 2008, 10:10 PM
we have demolition down to a fine art in Hamilton.

adam
Aug 29, 2008, 2:15 PM
Its amazing that after all these demolitions, Hamilton still has so many great architectural works. A structural engineer friend of mine who visits a lot of Ontario cities said Hamilton has "great bones" and that's something a lot of other cities will never have.
I just looked at Google maps over the old Thistle Club and it looks like a bloody bomb went off. I remember when they demolished it and didn't have the fence up yet (for a few weeks!), people could just go and rummage around the rubble, take some of the old bricks perhaps (ahem - of course, I would never do such a thing :coolugh: )

FairHamilton
Aug 29, 2008, 3:33 PM
Unfortunately, they now knock the buildings down so quickly there's not even the chance to reclaim the bricks for other uses and that in itself is a shame.

As a young teenager, I accompanied my Dad to an old farmhouse on a big lot he owned at Steeles & Kennedy (across for what's now Pacific Mall), we dutifully striped large sections of the house of it's brick prior to demolition.

The old farmhouse is gone, but the bricks made up kitchen fireplaces in 2 of my parent's homes. When visiting my mother, I still admire how unique and great the reclaimed brick fireplace looks.

raisethehammer
Sep 2, 2008, 10:19 PM
saw a sign today for a new wing joint coming to Aberdeen/Dundurn - Wing It.

http://www.bestwings.ca/index.htm

I wonder what would make a good use of the former Horton's space at the same corner?? It's a bustling neighbourhood with a pile of money. I'd like to think it's got to be a desirable spot.

SteelTown
Sep 2, 2008, 10:22 PM
I used to stop by that Tim Hortons for water or ice ted after jogging up and down the stairs. Now it's Big Bear boo!

raisethehammer
Sep 2, 2008, 10:30 PM
it is?? I thought it was still empty? the Big Bear is across the street isn't it?

SteelTown
Sep 2, 2008, 10:31 PM
No I mean I get water from Big Bear now across from old Tim Hortons. That Timmies was a great community hang out, everyone in the hood hanged out there.

raisethehammer
Sep 2, 2008, 10:36 PM
Horton's doesn't care about that. They care about drive-thru's.

The one at York/Locke was also a great community hang out spot, but alas...no drive thru potential.

adam
Sep 2, 2008, 11:20 PM
someone's sitting on it i think... i'm surprised starbuck's hasn't tried to get the place

fastcarsfreedom
Sep 3, 2008, 1:03 AM
First nostalgia for malls, and now nostalgia for a couple of 1970s era Tim Hortons stores. Tim Hortons is a business--needless to say they need customer turn-around--not a bunch of people "hanging out". That being said, Starbucks operates a bit differently and can tolerate more longer-term dine-in customers...would be a good spot for them or Second Cup.

adam
Sep 3, 2008, 1:28 AM
Maybe we could do a partial demolition and keep certain "ruin" qualities - use an old coffee pot as a flower bed - and turn the place into a park? :haha:

raisethehammer
Sep 3, 2008, 1:50 AM
First nostalgia for malls, and now nostalgia for a couple of 1970s era Tim Hortons stores.

yea, pretty bad eh?
Shows how much worse our society is getting.

FairHamilton
Sep 3, 2008, 12:33 PM
yea, pretty bad eh?
Shows how much worse our society is getting.

Worse, or different?

Don't people usually wax nostalgic for the 'good ol' days'? Doesn't mean the were better, it just means they were from our youth and we'd all like to recapture those days.

Trust me, as some of you get older you'll look back even fonder.......

raisethehammer
Sep 3, 2008, 2:48 PM
I think it's pretty bad when we start having nostalgia for malls and old Hortons stores. I never go to Hortons and never go to malls.
Pretty bad when the new alternative is so much worse that it actually makes me miss them.

adam
Sep 3, 2008, 3:57 PM
I don't think anyone will ever yearn for the good ol' days when Horton's drive-thrus were packed with a line up of cars..

DC83
Sep 9, 2008, 11:49 AM
(Another) East End update:

The old Pardon My French (Main & Gage) has reopened as Shirley's Diner.

I believe she just opened over the weekend. They have a menu posted in the window. I'll have to take a look next time I'm in the area. Sadly I'm never really in the Delta since I don't work around there anymore :(

adam
Sep 12, 2008, 2:20 AM
I am almost 100% sure they just narrowed all the lanes on King St around Queen and Dundurn. The far rightmost lane is also noticeably wider - looks like its ready to have a bike lane installed.. anyone know anything about this?

raisethehammer
Sep 12, 2008, 2:33 AM
I live right there and haven't noticed anything.
That right lane has been disgustingly wide for years.

northender98
Sep 12, 2008, 2:34 AM
Just was told this evening that construction on the banquet hall next to Acclamations should begin "any day now". Apparently they will also have a night club to be called "Acclamations after dark". I have been looking forward to this development for a long time, it will house "high end" condos above as well!! Woohoo!!!
Northender