PDA

View Full Version : Uptown Waterloo Public Square | Approved

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

jcollins
Aug 25, 2009, 1:54 PM
Hopefully the fundraisers can raise enough for the skating rink and then council puts the 227k towards the water wall. I'll be really disappointed if the excess money doesn't get used for the square at all, or at least some other public development.

Plus there's already that ~$165k density bonus. Or has that already been used or factored into those numbers?

rapid_business
Aug 25, 2009, 2:48 PM
I'd really like to see the schematics for the skating rink now.

I might try to see what I can dig up.

jcollins
Aug 27, 2009, 2:14 PM
Rink fundraisers given a deadline

By Greg Macdonald, Chronicle Staff
Aug 26, 2009

http://media.halton2.topscms.com/images/ff/dc/5e03de474422aeb8133ac02d3497.jpeg

A group of volunteer fundraisers has been given a deadline of Sept. 21 to come up with the money for a skating rink in the public square.

If they can’t raise the money by that date, the project will be put on hold for a year, councillors decided Monday.

“By that date we’ll know whether we can do it for this year or wait till next year,” said Coun. Ian McLean.

Councillors are hoping to get the skating rink in the square to make sure it is not left empty for a whole season, as well as to deflect some of the criticism they have been receiving over various issues in the civic space in uptown Waterloo.

They’re relying on a group of four retired hockey coaches who have pledged to do their best to raise the money needed in order to fund the rink.

City staff estimates that the rink will cost $350,000.

Plus, it needs another $70,000 in contingency funding. The servicing for the rink was built in during initial construction, just the surface work needs to be done.

The fundraising group has committed to raising the $350,000.

But, in order to do so, they need more city support, said Paul Rossi, a member of the fundraising team.

“We’re ready to go out and vigorously fundraise,” he said. “But there are a lot of answers we need to know to be able to go out and fundraise and they are currently not available.”

Rossi said potential sponsors will want to know a variety of details that the city hasn’t provided — including how their donation will be recognized, where their kids will be able to put on their skates and the nearest bathroom.

“We need firm answers. We can’t go out and raise $350,000 and not have the answers to these questions,” Rossi said. “We need some information before we can really go out and start our strategy.”

The other thing the group is seeking is some monetary assurance by the city.

“We would like the city to match the donations of 50 cents on the dollar, to a maximum of $175,000. That would be a huge advantage,” Rossi said. “Money says a lot more than words.”

City councillors passed a motion for staff to meet with the group and provide as many specific details about the rink as possible.

While the group is fundraising, staff will continue to work on detailed design in order for plans to be ready in time for Sept. 21.

Councillors didn’t allot the $227,000 they have left over from the square’s initial budget.

Since that money is debentured, their only option is to spend it on the square or put it towards paying off the loans.

Instead, they decided to wait and see the result of the fundraising campaign before deciding what to do with the money.

“This way we can have a fulsome conversation about whether we should use this to pay off the debentures depending on how the fundraising goes,” McLean said.

That gives the city the option of contributing to the features once the deadline approaches, he added.

While the deadline has been set, the group said they couldn’t promise anything money-wise.

“We are prepared to go fundraise right away in September,” Rossi said.

“We think in two or three weeks we can come back to you and relay our success.

“As for having all the money on Sept. 21, I’m not sure that’s realistic. But I don’t want to say it won’t happen.”

Councillors are also looking at plans to install a water feature in the square. The cost of that project would be about $550,000.

jcollins
Aug 28, 2009, 3:18 PM
A not-so-positive editorial from today's Record:

Waterloo skating in an odd pattern around its proposed rink

August 27, 2009

Latest scene in the long-playing farce featuring the $2.6-million wasteland of barren concrete known as Waterloo’s public square has to do with councillors deciding whether to build a skating rink or a wall of water.

The council that usually ends up owing huge amounts of money in a municipality that has one of the highest debt levels in Ontario, now finds itself in the novel position of having $227,000 left over from the amount budgeted for the downtown square at King Street and Willis Way.

Originally, the square was designed to have a rink or waterfall but those items were delayed because the city didn’t have enough cash. Instead, $300,000 worth of underground services were roughed in to eventually allow the features.

Councillors who have taken considerable heat for the sterile facility met earlier this week to decide if they should invest $426,000 to complete a rink that could be ready by December or spend $550,000 for the water wall which could be in place by next fall. Meanwhile, a four-member group of Waterloo residents is trying to improve the square by organizing a fundraising campaign to collect $350,000 that would help finance the rink.

Councillors then decided not to support a request from fundraisers for the city to pledge 50 cents for every dollar raised by the group up to a maximum $175,000. They also decided not to decide on a rink or water feature saying — go figure — they want to see how much fundraisers collect by Sept. 21.

Speaking as one of the hundreds of local people disappointed with Waterloo’s ugly square, I have a number of helpful suggestions for councillors as they try to patch up such an unmitigated disaster.

First order of business would be to have Mayor Brenda Halloran and councillors Angela Vieth and Karen Scian repay the estimated $8,000 of taxpayers cash they spent this summer tripping off to attend the Federation of Canadian Municipalities conference in Whistler, B.C. The money could be used to purchase more trees and other greenery desperately needed in the sun-baked square.

My next suggestion would be to dismantle the 3-tonne hunk of rust-covered metal sitting in the square that I’m told is supposed to resemble a bell. It could then be sold for scrap and Waterloo taxpayers could reclaim a few hundred bucks on the $100,000 — I repeat, $100,000 — they wasted to purchase the 3-metre-high piece of eyesore art.

The same taxpayers should remember the bell that never bongs replaced a nine-metre obelisk councillors originally planned to erect in the square — a statue created to recognize Waterloo being selected as one of the world’s most intelligent cities.

Next suggestion would be to charge skateboarders and BMX bikers an hourly fee for using the square and establish a city-owned concession stand to sell them energy drinks, cool shades and Band-Aids.

Final piece of free advice would involve having Mayor Halloran cross-check local philanthropist Jim Balsillie and persuade the supergenerous RIM co-CEO to contribute some small change to help create the 19-by-31-metre rink where he could further hone his skating skills. A few days of accumulated interest on the $219.5 million the hockey-loving billionaire seems so anxious to blow in order to buy and own any NHL hockey team that moves and sweats would be more than enough to build an ice surface in the square.

Councillors could name it the JimRIM rink.

Im not a huge fan of this editorial. Some points are way off, some I actually agree with.

I think the point about the conference the mayor attended is rediculous. Sure it was expensive, but it was a conference for municipalities. It's not like it was a conference about basket weaving. If that were the case, sure pay it back. So should the mayor pay back all of her expenses?

I do agree with the bell. I'm not totally sold on it. I think there could have been a better center piece. But then again there could have been a worse one, or none at all. I don't think though that we should scrap it for a couple hundred bucks :haha:

Finally, the city should get in touch with RIM or other big corporations in Waterloo and try to hit them up for some donations. Allow them to sponsor the rink as the editorial sort of alluded to. The RIM rink would work, Sunlife rink anyone? Company's sponsor things all the time. Make it happen.

rapid_business
Aug 28, 2009, 3:58 PM
I do agree with the bell. I'm not totally sold on it. I think there could have been a better center piece. But then again there could have been a worse one, or none at all. I don't think though that we should scrap it for a couple hundred bucks :haha:

That is what makes art, art. Some people love it, some people hate it. It was (and is) the same way with every famous piece of art. You should read some of the flame-laced editorials in the Parisian newspapers when the Eiffel tower was being built.

Finally, the city should get in touch with RIM or other big corporations in Waterloo and try to hit them up for some donations. Allow them to sponsor the rink as the editorial sort of alluded to. The RIM rink would work, Sunlife rink anyone? Company's sponsor things all the time. Make it happen.

I'm sick of this attitude in the city. (more so with the way the editorial worded it about hitting up Jim specifically) Whenever anyone needs anything to be paid for, they suggest contacting RIM or Jim or Mike. Like every other buck is attempted to be passed on to these guys....

jcollins
Aug 28, 2009, 7:15 PM
I'm sick of this attitude in the city. (more so with the way the editorial worded it about hitting up Jim specifically) Whenever anyone needs anything to be paid for, they suggest contacting RIM or Jim or Mike. Like every other buck is attempted to be passed on to these guys....

While I can't speak for the author, I personally did not mean it as a way of passing the buck. I simply meant, as I stated that this is an opportunity for a company to sponsor the rink. Companys sponsor things all the time. It didn't have to be RIM, it could be any company in Waterloo wiling to do so. I just happened to mention them because they're one of the largest, and the author had just mentioned them as well.

rapid_business
Aug 28, 2009, 8:10 PM
/\ I understand. It was directed at the editorial, not you.

jcollins
Aug 29, 2009, 1:46 PM
DHLawrence brought up an interesting issue in the Buskers thread when the public square was referred to as "controversial."

I for one don't think that is really controversial. Sure some people like it and some don't but that does not make a controversy.

What do you guys think? Public Square = controversy?

jcollins
Sep 4, 2009, 1:09 PM
Group says it’s ‘making progress’ raising funds for public square rink

September 03, 2009
By Liz Monteiro, Record staff

WATERLOO – Fundraising efforts for a rink in Waterloo’s public square are in full gear, says a member of the community group collecting $350,000.

“We are making progress. It’s going well,’’ said Paul Rossi of Waterloo.

But Rossi wouldn’t say how much money the group has collected or whether they have commitments from local companies or corporations to pay for installing a skating rink.

Rossi said the group will update councillors at a committee meeting on Sept. 21.

“I think we can do it. I’m confident we will reach our goal,’’ said Rossi, a part owner of Gillies Lumber in Cambridge.

The fundraising group also includes chartered accountant Jim Playford, investment counsellor David Martin, and St. Mary’s physician Richard Dubeau. All four men live in the same neighbourhood of upper Beechwood in Waterloo and have coached minor hockey.

“We know each other through our kids,’’ Rossi said.

Rossi said the group of friends decided to raise money for the square after Playford suggested it when he learned the city didn’t have enough money to go ahead with the rink or the water wall in the square.

“We thought it was a worthwhile effort and positive for uptown Waterloo,’’ he said.

Last month, councillors were told by staff that there was an extra $227,000 left over from construction of the $2.5 million square, which opened in May.

Councillors decided to set aside the money and not designate it for the rink or the water wall until the fundraising group reports to council.

The 19-metre by 31-metre rink is projected to cost $426,000, while the water wall is expected to cost $550,000.

When the square was built, the city spent about $300,000 to install the coolant pipes under the concrete to save working crews from ripping out the concrete when the rink was to be built.

Coun. Ian McLean said the four-man group is “out beating the bushes” and “I’m eagerly awaiting Sept. 21 so we can move ahead and skate in the public square this winter.’’

If the money is raised, the city hopes to build the rink this fall and open it by December.

lmonteiro@therecord.com

Leaffan
Sep 11, 2009, 12:44 PM
Not huge news but this is an article featured in this week's Waterloo Chronicle

City adding new features to square

By Greg MacDonald, Chronicle Staff

Sep 09, 2009
Large Medium Small Print This Article Tell a friend While the skating rink and water feature are still up in the air, a few new features will be coming to the Waterloo public square in the next month.
The city is in the process of purchasing planters and furniture to round out the square.

The tables and seats that will eventually be put in place will look a lot different than the current plastic pieces that are in the square now.

“We’re looking at aluminum tables, one of those shiny metals that stays cools when it’s out in the sun. Something like a bistro table,” said Tracy Suerich, the city’s public square programmer.

Suerich hopes to have six small tables that will accommodate one or two people, as well as eight larger tables for larger groups.

“Some of the tables will be fixed in place and others we’ll be able to move,” she said.

The budget for the furniture is $20,000 and that includes “shading” spaces.

In addition to umbrellas on tables, Suerich is looking at structures that could provide shade in the square.

Planters are slated to be installed in the northeast corner of the square.

They will house shrubs and other greenery, said landscape architect, Barb Magee Turner.

They are scheduled to be put in on the week of Sept. 21.

Once those features are installed, it will be the end of major additions for the square until the rink and water feature are finalized.

The other big addition won’t come until December — infrastructure is currently being put in place to house a Christmas tree.

“Once we’ve got this stuff in, we’ll step back and take a look at the square and assess it,” Suerich said.

“We’re not ready to say it’s finished yet.” Meanwhile, fundraising continues for the skating rink.

A group of former minor hockey coaches are working on raising the $360,000 needed to build the rink.

They will come back to council and report on their progress Sept. 21.

jcollins
Sep 12, 2009, 10:14 PM
No more Coke tables/chairs??? :banana:

Im not sure the movable tables is the best idea. Would hate to see them walk away.

taylortbb
Sep 13, 2009, 1:32 AM
Im not sure the movable tables is the best idea. Would hate to see them walk away.

I would have thought the same, but I was in New York recently and I noticed times square (and many other parks) all had movable tables. If tables don't walk in New York I doubt they will here. Of course it does help that New York has a much greater police presence.

DHLawrence
Sep 13, 2009, 1:50 AM
You can't really compare Times Square and Waterloo Square. There may be a bigger police presence, but there's also a much much bigger people presence.

taylortbb
Sep 13, 2009, 4:18 AM
That's true, but it seems to rarely stop thieves. Bikes are often stolen from the front of a house in broad daylight. Anyways, you do have a valid point on times square which is why I also mentioned smaller parks. And this was folding furniture too, very easy to carry away.

jcollins
Sep 13, 2009, 4:27 PM
You can't really compare Times Square and Waterloo Square. There may be a bigger police presence, but there's also a much much bigger people presence.

And it's the people presence that keeps things there. It's when the square is empty that they walk away

mpd618
Oct 2, 2009, 12:54 AM
There was a small market in the new square today, for which approval was apparently just obtained from City Council. The card I picked up calls it the "Waterloo Farmers' & Crafters' Market" and proclaims "Sustainably grown heirloom vegetables and herbs, plus local arts & crafts!" The market will be held Thursdays from 4 to 8 pm for the next three or four weeks, I believe, and it is planned for next year as well.

Other things on the card: fruits and vegetables; "Local Food / Local Music!"; the City of Waterloo logo; the Region of Waterloo Public Health logo; and a link to an under-construction web site (http://www.waterloofarmmarket.ca/).

Bauer_buyer
Oct 3, 2009, 5:19 PM
This quote is from this Saturday's Toronto Star which described the new skateboard park near the waterfront in the "east end"

"The park is designed to mimic an urban plaza,
making it one of only three in Canada."

There are more than three out there....I'm sure of it!

jcollins
Oct 17, 2009, 1:12 PM
Good letter to the editor in support of the Square today : http://news.therecord.com/Opinions/LettertotheEditor/article/613987

Did anyone go to this?

It'd be nice to see the square become a more prominent fixture in terms of Oktoberfest, it'd be an ideal spot to have something for the entire week and a half.

WatDot
Oct 17, 2009, 4:53 PM
Last night (Friday) there were all sorts of people Uptown Waterloo. The Oktoberfest tent in the square seemed busy and most definitely brought more action to the core. Most importantly people were walking around and shopping all along King. Not to start something, but it was a huge contrast to downtown Kitchener, where I had just come from after making a purchase at the KW Bookstore. The square is a welcome addition to Uptown in my books!

jcollins
Oct 17, 2009, 6:42 PM
Last night (Friday) there were all sorts of people Uptown Waterloo. The Oktoberfest tent in the square seemed busy and most definitely brought more action to the core. Most importantly people were walking around and shopping all along King. Not to start something, but it was a huge contrast to downtown Kitchener, where I had just come from after making a purchase at the KW Bookstore. The square is a welcome addition to Uptown in my books!

Just as you said, not to start something, and I can't speak for downtown last Friday night, but I was walking around downtown today (same goes for last Saturday) and there were tons of people out on King st enjoying the music (2 bands), classic car display, and the rest of the Oktoberfest stuff (aka food). A lot of the shops and restaurants I looked into had quite a number of people in them as well. It's all about timing. One night does not make a trend.

taylortbb
Oct 17, 2009, 7:16 PM
Last night (Friday) there were all sorts of people Uptown Waterloo. The Oktoberfest tent in the square seemed busy and most definitely brought more action to the core.

That tent is actually for the Quantum 2 Cosmos festival (http://www.q2cfestival.com/), hosted by the Perimeter Institute.

I will saw though, downtown Kitchener is definitely getting better, but most nights I do see more activity in uptown than downtown. Oktoberfest and other festivals make downtown come alive, and there need to be more of them, because outside of them things are a little slow. Not that the uptown square is packed most nights either, but restaurants certainly seem busier.

Ontario1
Oct 17, 2009, 7:52 PM
In Waterloo they shop on King Street for Octoberfest because that is the main that there is to do.

Most of the Octoberfest activities are in Kitchener including 10 festhalls...only 2 in Waterloo.....3 outside in Maryhill, Breslau and Mannheim. Even excluding drinking, the majority of activities during Octoberfest takes place in Kitchener. It always has been that way too.
http://www.oktoberfest.ca/events.php

jcollins
Oct 17, 2009, 8:10 PM
That tent is actually for the Quantum 2 Cosmos festival (http://www.q2cfestival.com/), hosted by the Perimeter Institute.

I will saw though, downtown Kitchener is definitely getting better, but most nights I do see more activity in uptown than downtown. Oktoberfest and other festivals make downtown come alive, and there need to be more of them, because outside of them things are a little slow. Not that the uptown square is packed most nights either, but restaurants certainly seem busier.

You're right. Right now, the festivals and what not is what draws people to downtown kitchener. Until there is something else to draw people downtown on a regular basis, this will continue to be the case, so this makes the festivals that much more important.

In Waterloo they shop on King Street for Octoberfest because that is the main that there is to do.

Most of the Octoberfest activities are in Kitchener including 10 festhalls...only 2 in Waterloo.....3 outside in Maryhill, Breslau and Mannheim. Even excluding drinking, the majority of activities during Octoberfest takes place in Kitchener. It always has been that way too.
http://www.oktoberfest.ca/events.php

Where's the second one in Waterloo? Moses Springer and?

When I first saw the tent up in the square I thought it was going to be similar to the tent at King and Frederick. Maybe that's something they can consider for next year or the year after.

timc
Oct 18, 2009, 3:39 AM
Where's the second one in Waterloo? Moses Springer and?

The Rec Complex?

jcollins
Oct 18, 2009, 3:53 AM
The Rec Complex?

Wow, how'd I forget about that one.

koops65
Oct 20, 2009, 4:58 AM
Reported on CKCO News tonight, Waterloo Council unanimously voted to begin construction work on the ice rink immediately. Set to open Dec. 19th.

jcollins
Oct 20, 2009, 11:23 AM
Waterloo square to get rink

Ice should be set by Christmas, thanks to four former hockey coaches who raised almost $400,000

October 20, 2009
By Liz Monteiro, Record staff

WATERLOO — Residents could be skating on Waterloo Public Square ice rink by Christmas.

Councillors unanimously approved a plan to install a skating rink in the city's square at a finance committee meeting Monday night.

It's set to open to skaters on Dec. 19.

Mayor Brenda Halloran gushed as she thanked a four-man community group who raised $385,000 for the square.

The men, all former hockey coaches in Waterloo, said they would raise $350,000 in six weeks and they surpassed their goal.

“When Jim (Playford) came to meet with me I couldn't sleep that night,'' said Halloran.

“Thank you sincerely for working with us and seeing us through this. It has been a challenge at times.''

Playford, a member of the fundraising group, told council that all the money will come in.

“We intend to cross our T's and dot our I's. We will leave no loose ends,'' he said.

The biggest sponsor was Cowan Insurance Group, which donated $150,000 to the square.

“We wanted to step in and make it a reality,'' said Rick Purdy, chief executive officer of Cowan Insurance Group.

Eastforest Homes donated $50,000, the Kitchener Rangers gave $70,000, and Investors Group donated $25,000. About $80,000 came from single individual donations. Eastforest Homes and Cowan Insurance will have their company logos on the ice rink. Plaques will be erected around the rink for other major sponsors, said fundraising group member Paul Rossi.

“We are thrilled. This is what we worked for,'' said Rossi after the meeting.

Rossi said he expects more money will be collected.

“Once our irons are out of the fire, our total could be $400,000,'' he said.

Council also voted to foot the remainder of the bill and to finance the 2009 and the 2010 operating costs of $138,350 each year from a reserve fund.

The total cost of the 19-metre by 31-metre rink is set at $426,000.

David Calder, general manager of corporate services, told council that phone calls will be made Tuesday to install the rink's refrigeration unit and begin the electrical work needed.

Rossi told council he would like to see organized programming on the rink in addition to free skates for children and their families.

“I'll be getting my ice skates sharpened tomorrow,'' said Coun. Angela Vieth.

During the rest of the year, the ice rink will be dismantled and the square will look as it does today, said David Smith, city manager responsible for programming the square. Pipes will remain under the concrete, he said.

Councillors hope a skating rink will turn the tide on the square.

Since it's inception in May, the square has been the butt of jokes with residents complaining about the skateboarders taking over the square, too much concrete and lack of fun programming.

Recently, the square has had more people strolling through it enjoying Oktoberfest events, the Thursday farmer's market and the ongoing Quantum to Cosmos Festival in the square.

When the square was built, the city spent about $300,000 to install the coolant pipes under the concrete to save working crews from ripping out the concrete.

lmonteiro@therecord.com

WatDot
Oct 20, 2009, 1:39 PM
Great news and great work by the community group!! That kind of determination is what makes this a positive place to live!! :tup:

Duke-Of-Waterloo
Dec 3, 2009, 8:44 PM
Skating Rink Grand Opening!

Sunday, Dec. 20, 2009
2 p.m. to 5 p.m.

From the City of Waterloo's website (http://www.waterloo.ca/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=2438):

This event will feature fun activities for the entire family:
• Enjoy festive music
• Join in a carol singalong
• Drink free cider
• Meet Santa Claus
• Skate around the new rink (weather permitting)

The new skating rink will be up until March 2010. Drop by for a free public skate – it’s open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily throughout the winter, subject to programming, maintenance requirements and weather conditions.

For more information: 519-886-1177, ext. 271

Please note: This event may be cancelled due to unfavourable weather conditions. Watch for updates.