PDA

View Full Version : No more short, ugly buildings downtown, please

someone123
Nov 27, 2007, 5:08 PM
From the Chronicle Herald:

No more short, ugly buildings downtown, please

By ROGER TAYLOR Business Columnists

I USED to believe that most Halifax residents thought the squat, red-brick buildings that have been popping up in the downtown with startling regularity were ugly and unappealing.

And I thought that kind of development is not part of that group’s vision of downtown Halifax.

But that was before I spoke recently to representatives of heritage groups and others who told me that short is in, and the ubiquitous red brick structure actually fits their vision.

This vision, or lack of it, is disconcerting, although I admit it might be partly my fault since I was going on the assumption that the mail I have been receiving — suggesting that Halifax’s fascination with low-rise, red-brick buildings was something the writers opposed — was an indicator of how most people felt.

If short and ugly is the consensus, I disagree with it, even though I now realize Halifax is in danger of becoming known for its red-brick buildings no higher than seven storeys.

Members of the public are expected to be given another chance this week to express their opinions about what the downtown should look like. There will be a public presentation on the downtown plan at 6 p.m. Wednesday in the World Trade and Convention Centre. That is when the HRM by Design task force’s "preferred scenario" will be presented for the first time.

City staff have indicated to me that they support "modern architecture" but for the most part, they back the height restriction proposed for the bulk of Area 2. Area 2 runs from Brunswick Street to the waterfront and George Street to Spring Garden Road and will be designated a heritage conservation district.

That means the bulk of the area will be subject to the low-rise development restrictions with the exception of two newly designated high-rise sites, owned by the province and the Waterfront Development Corp. Buildings of up to 16 storeys would be allowed on those sites.

While there are no current rules about the type of materials used for construction in the downtown, the feeling is that low-rise will mean that developers will be forced to use less expensive designs and materials.

The rules are being established to protect what remains of the heritage properties in the downtown. The assumption is that buildings higher than seven storeys will put pressure on what remains of heritage structures.

HRM by Design’s recommendations, which are supposed to be influenced by feedback from various public presentations, are expected to become policy sometime next year. City staff say the new plan for the downtown will provide as-of-right rules for developers, which will support their economic needs.

But developers I have spoken with suggest the proposed height restrictions are out of touch with the modern reality of building in the downtown core. Downtown real estate is expensive, construction costs are increasing and the amenities demanded by discerning tenants are escalating, they say.

While there is support for HRM by Design making the development process easier to navigate, developers are concerned it might simply kill construction of any high-rise building without considering how the buildings look or what they do for the downtown.

In the meantime, there are financial services companies eager to locate in downtown Halifax, specifically in new buildings large enough to accommodate their whole operations.

While other parts of the plan allow for high rises to be built, such as in the Cogswell interchange area, those plans are many years from becoming reality. Area 2 developers also argue that eventually, when those high rises are built, people will choose to work and shop in that area, far removed from the traditional downtown Barrington Street business district, thus leading to the further decline of the downtown business area.

The fear is that the financial services companies, which would employ thousands of young Nova Scotians and offer them good salaries, will choose to locate in another city if they aren’t able to find the right fit for their company in Halifax. Halifax is competing with Singapore and Toronto for the financial services business, I’ve been told, mainly because development in those cities is easier.

Halifax heritage groups say the potential of losing business to another city is always thrown up as a possibility during planning discussions but they consider it fear-mongering. But, to be honest, the heritage groups also use other cities as examples to help their case.

Quebec City and Savannah, Ga., are the latest I’ve heard about, but others have pointed to the heritage preservation in Venice and Rome and other very large cities around the globe as examples for Halifax to emulate.

This is an important issue for Halifax, not only for this generation but also for generations to come. Downtown Halifax is not what it once was and it will continue to decline without an infusion of energy, which would come from a well-thought-out project located in the city centre.

( rtaylor@herald.ca)

Roger Taylor’s column appears Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

skyscraper_1
Nov 27, 2007, 5:17 PM
Blah! You beat me to it! :D

Great article. I am very worried that these height restrictions will curb any new growth in the core and cost thousands of jobs. We should never sacrifice the future to preserve a nostalgic past.

Jonovision
Nov 27, 2007, 6:23 PM
I'm gonna through out a bold idea.

Turn Burnside into a La Defence type business district?!
Could it ever happen? or is there a more suitable location?

worldlyhaligonian
Nov 27, 2007, 6:56 PM
I like your idea.

Personally, I think that areas around Windsor/Young/Robie are perfect for some high additional highrises and the locale is close to the new bridge.

There are a bunch of military lands that would be perfect. Also there is grocery, fast food, retail, all kinds of supporting business in that area.

Fuck the heritage trust, I'm a young Haligonian and I couldn't find a reasonable job in Halifax if i tried (unless my family was connected, the biggest problem with business, or lack thereof, in our region). These bastards are essentially stalling development and killing business that would have already set up shop given the development climate.

I haven't seen them stop a bad development, lets put it this way. Alot of heritage structures also look like shit right now, why don't they work on that first??

I don't understand, Halifax's heritage isn't even all that special (seriously, go most any old place and it will have 10x the amount of heritage and generally its more important in a historical sense) and is made only worse looking by shitty imitations in its vicinity.

phrenic
Nov 27, 2007, 7:35 PM
Personally, I think that areas around Windsor/Young/Robie are perfect for some high additional highrises and the locale is close to the new bridge.

There is a big empty lot on the corner of Young and Windsor. The Eastlink building (Young Tower) could use some company up there. It may be military lands, though.

skyscraper_1
Nov 27, 2007, 7:56 PM
For a city with the best of old and new, look to Bologna

By LARRY HAIVEN
Tue. Nov 27 - 6:06 AM

Beautiful heritage buildings and skyscrapers: Can they co-exist in a city? Or are they mutually exclusive? The recent debate in Halifax seems to run on the assumption that you must have either one or the other. But if we look at many European cities, we can see that heritage and modernity are not necessarily at odds. A thriving city can have both.

The key is to have the best of both, not the worst. And the worst is precisely what would happen to Halifax if we build tall structures right in the middle of the downtown.

Of course, we could look to Paris, everybody’s idea of a beautiful city. In the city centre, no building can be higher than 66 feet (about six and a half stor-eys). Even the Eiffel Tower, often cited to justify tall struc-tures, was, at the time it was built, on the outskirts of the downtown area, not at the centre. These rules have kept Paris the sane and gorgeous city the world loves.

If you want exciting, modern, tall buildings, you need look just five kilometres from the Arc de Triomphe, down the Champs-Elysées toward the suburb of La Défense, where a literal forest of modern structures, some of them award-winning (some of them atrocious), scrapes the sky.

But, you may say, that’s Paris, a city of over two million people, with over four times that many living within the outer circle. We can’t compare Halifax to that.

So, let’s take something a little more our own size. The north-central Italian city of Bologna fits the bill. With about 375,000 people, it has many other similarities with Halifax.

Home to the oldest university in Europe (founded in 1088), the city is flooded with thousands of students during the school term and throbs with culture. Unlike Florence and Venice (which are arguably museum pieces), but like Halifax, Bologna is a busy working city, the commercial, industrial and service centre of its region.

Yet Bologna’s heritage centre (second only to Venice in size) is a cultural and architectural gem. And both city planners and citizens have aimed to keep it that way. While there are modern buildings in the core, they complement their surroundings and keep within the height restrictions.

In the 1960s, Bologna, like many cities, faced the need to build space for industrial, commercial and finance activity. Rather than destroy the character of the centre, city planners built a new district outside of the core. A mere two and a half kilometres from the city centre, they established the Fiera district, anchored by several striking skyscrapers designed by the Japanese architect Kenzo Tange.

While many enterprises have their head offices there, the district has not sucked life out of the historic city centre. Rather, the two seem to coexist in harmony. The Fiera district houses the second largest exhibition space in Italy and fourth in Europe. Large industrial fairs attract hundreds of thousands of visitors a year, who also stay in and visit the historic city centre.

Ironically, Bologna’s freedom from skyscrapers in its core is only a recent phenomenon (if you consider the last 800 years to be recent). By the early part of the 13th century, downtown Bologna had sprouted no fewer than 300 towers, some as high as 97 metres (over 300 feet or 27 storeys) tall! With the decline of state power, warring aristocratic clans fought pitched street battles (think Romeo and Juliet) and sought protection not through co-operation, but by building upward-reaching fortresses linked by suspended walkways and underground passages. The masses had to take their chances in the streets.

Eventually, saner heads prevailed as the middle classes organized into guilds and societies and seized power from the warring nobles. Town planning took over and the towers were torn down before (or sometimes after) they decayed and collapsed, killing those in the streets.

Only two of these old towers, the Torre degli Asinelli and Torre della Garisenda, remain in central Bologna today, perhaps as monuments to stupidity and greed, while the rest of the old town basks and thrives in the Italian sun.

The doctrine of mutual aid persists, as up to 40 per cent of the gross domestic product in the province is generated by co-operatives.

Can Halifax learn from the old world? Or are we doomed to a future downtown dominated by warring nobles building upward for themselves and their cronies, while the little people scuttle in the windswept shadows below?

Larry Haiven is associate professor, faculty of commerce, Saint Mary’s University.

The idea of creating a new district has some merritt, even if it was just in the Cogswell area. The problem is that our downtown core isn't really 'historical', sure there are some beautiful structures and some with great potential, but a lot of the core is now government highrises from 60-80's, cheaply constructed lowrises.

Cambridgite
Nov 27, 2007, 9:58 PM
Welcome to the land of mid-size Canadian cities who are afraid of "becoming Toronto". :rolleyes:

High rises are scary. Cheaply done low-rise crap preserves heritage buildings so much better..:rolleyes:

Wishblade
Nov 27, 2007, 10:07 PM
Welcome to the land of mid-size Canadian cities who are afraid of "becoming Toronto". :rolleyes:

High rises are scary. Cheaply done low-rise crap preserves heritage buildings so much better..:rolleyes:

Whew, and I thought we were the only ones dealing with this. I just thought it was general Halifax naysayerism lol.

skyscraper_1
Nov 27, 2007, 10:36 PM

God forbid!

Obviously Toronto is doing something right.

Keith P.
Nov 27, 2007, 10:41 PM
I wish Taylor would stop talking about buildings under 100m tall as high rises. They are not. Perhaps someone should explain the term mid-rise to him. And the sad thing is, we can't even build a mid-rise in most of downtown.

Wishblade
Nov 27, 2007, 10:51 PM
I wish Taylor would stop talking about buildings under 100m tall as high rises. They are not. Perhaps someone should explain the term mid-rise to him. And the sad thing is, we can't even build a mid-rise in most of downtown.

I thought a high rises was anything considered 10 stories or taller, and a skyscraper was anything 100m or taller? I don't know if those are the defined terms though.

someone123
Nov 28, 2007, 12:06 AM
The distinction is kind of unimportant. What's more important is that buildings in the 15-30 storey range seem to make the most sense (these are what developers propose when they can) and yet these are usually not permitted.

As for Quebec City and Savannah, they have seen very little downtown construction and their economies are dominated by tourism in a way that's just not feasible in the case of Halifax given how far it is from other cities. Furthermore, as other have said, the downtown area is dominated by post-WWII buildings. There are historic buildings, yes, but they are in the minority. The kind of historic integrity that new development might supposedly destroy in Halifax never existed in the first place.

Haliguy
Nov 28, 2007, 12:44 AM
The distinction is kind of unimportant. What's more important is that buildings in the 15-30 storey range seem to make the most sense (these are what developers propose when they can) and yet these are usually not permitted.

As for Quebec City and Savannah, they have seen very little downtown construction and their economies are dominated by tourism in a way that's just not feasible in the case of Halifax given how far it is from other cities. Furthermore, as other have said, the downtown area is dominated by post-WWII buildings. There are historic buildings, yes, but they are in the minority. The kind of historic integrity that new development might supposedly destroy in Halifax never existed in the first place.

I don't think these heritage groups are so much about protecting heritage as they are about keeping things the same.

Aya_Akai
Apr 27, 2008, 4:00 AM
I'm gonna through out a bold idea.

Turn Burnside into a La Defence type business district?!
Could it ever happen? or is there a more suitable location?

I know this thread is *old* but I totally second that idea, and not necessarily Burnside, since its already a kind of real industrial park. If say- the new Sackville Expressway" were to be constructed, why not do it on the sides of that, it will be accessible by all the highways, and be right next to Burnside.

When I had visited Paris, I had been a tad confused as to why the central area had nothing significant, then found out about the huge business district, made a b-line to get there asap and was absolutely awestruck, the place was incredible!

Takeo
Apr 27, 2008, 1:02 PM

Amen. People here are so horrified of Toronto. Right or wrong (that's a separate debate)... the point is... it'll never happen!!!!

Like people who use small weights at the gym because they "don't want get big and bulky". It'll never happen!!!! Those folks are the rare few. They often have genetics on their side, spend hours a day at the gym and a large part of their diet consists of supplements and/or ridiculous amounts of protein. Just doing your little 15 min routine a few times a week at NuBodys with "heavy" weights is not going to suddenly turn you into the Incredible Hulk! And adding a few tall building in Halifax is not going to turn Halifax into Toronto! I know that's an odd analogy... but it's the one that sprang to mind.

Canopus
Apr 28, 2008, 1:01 PM
Boring brick buildings always remind me of the Neptune Theatre missed opportunity.

Decent inside but outside it's less than mediocre and sans banners you wouldn't even know it was there.

Now that was an opportunity to create a piece of cultural architecture that could have been a showpiece. Instead, it's what it is.

Takeo
Apr 28, 2008, 9:38 PM
Boring brick buildings always remind me of the Neptune Theatre missed opportunity.

Decent inside but outside it's less than mediocre and sans banners you wouldn't even know it was there.

Now that was an opportunity to create a piece of cultural architecture that could have been a showpiece. Instead, it's what it is.

Amen. It's not a very "theatrical" building... to say the least.

Canopus
Apr 29, 2008, 11:25 AM
It was a total disaster from a design perspective. I mean how often do you get to build a brand new theatre, museum, art gallery, etc right?

They should be showcases in themselves and not squat little red brick boxes.