PDA

View Full Version : LOS ANGELES | METRO Project Rundown 2.0 (non-downtown)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114

pesto
Jan 26, 2012, 5:43 PM
Intriguing! The sidewalks need to be wide at that corner to handle the bus crowds. An entry on Wilshire strikes me as ill-conceived, given the traffic and inevitable back-ups. Move the entry to Shatto. No use getting NY style grid-lock if you can avoid it.

Otherwise, clearly an improvement. Hopefully still 25 and 30 stories. A little bit of Seoul, with a nice connection to BH, Century City, Westwood, SM.

Illithid Dude
Jan 26, 2012, 7:03 PM
I totally forgot about the bus situation. Perhaps the little car pull-up zone on Wilshire is for buses? That would actually be really great.

Illithid Dude
Jan 27, 2012, 2:42 AM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/429613_10150557533156941_142919661940_8773356_356386645_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/419275_10150557533231941_142919661940_8773357_1919384664_n.jpg

The sidewalk is strange, but not necessarily suburban. Look how the grassy spaces are being used as outdoor seating for cafes. It's completely different from anything else in the area, but I think it just might work.

The one thing I don't like is the fact that it has 800 parking spaces for 500 residential units. This is literally across the street from a Metro station, don't forget. Complete overkill.

Also of note, this building is being built without any tax-breaks, signage, or shenanigans, and still manages to 'pencil out'. Take note developers.

LosAngelesSportsFan
Jan 27, 2012, 3:21 AM
not too shabby. i like it

Kingofthehill
Jan 27, 2012, 7:34 PM
Very Miami in appearance and aesthetic. And in the sheer amount of parking, too, from the looks of things.

LAsam
Jan 27, 2012, 7:44 PM
^ Well, those do look like coconut palms :)

DistrictDirt
Jan 27, 2012, 7:53 PM
Ugh...

Just noticed this car:

http://i.imgur.com/UtXQx.jpg

...and realized that the entirety of the first 6 floors is podium parking. This is the Solair all over again, just with slightly better camouflage. :yuck:

LAsam
Jan 27, 2012, 9:23 PM
So long as the podium has an architecturally appropriate facade and retail on the ground level, who cares if it is used for parking?

dachacon
Jan 27, 2012, 9:34 PM
:previous: agreed as long as there is ground floor retail to help sustain a lively street vibe, who cares where and how many parking spaces are in the project. Im all for public transit use (i use it myself), but not everyone is going to want to use the bus and subway network. i actually like that they have alot of parking, it allows for everyone who wants to be in the area get there whether its by car, bus, or rail. besides podium cladding can always be changed. a perfect example of a nice cover up is on 7th and Figueroa, the office building next to Dublin's Irish pub and houses HSBC. sorry i don't have a picture to show. illl try and find one.

pesto
Jan 28, 2012, 5:19 PM
Well, I give them an A for drawing and imagination. Gleaming white sidewalks, sun-drenched palms on a northern exposure, tall slim people in suits. If Vermont and Wilshire ever looks even vaguely like that I'll climb the palm trees and pick some coconuts.

But if the Museum Row and Miracle Mile look can be extended to Vermont, so much the better.

colemonkee
Jan 28, 2012, 8:52 PM
That parking podium is no better - and possibly worse - than the one at the Watermarke tower on 9th and Flower, which also has ground floor retail to activate the base. The City really needs to create strict architectural guidelines for above ground parking garages requiring them to have some sort of meaningful facade treatment that adequately disguises the parking aspect while providing adequate ventilation for the garage itself. The parking garage on Spring between 3rd and 4th is a good starting point. Or even the podium on 717 Olympic, which while not the best treatment, at least makes a decent attempt to incorporate the garage into the overall aesthetic of the building (which isn't that good to start with).

This design is embarrassing at best. It's largely open - almost flauntingly so on the sides - and doesn't in any way relate to the aesthetic of the rest of the building. This is clearly where some of the cost savings are taking place, and sitting just above eye level, it will be just as bad of an eyesore on that area as the Watermarke podium is on 9th and Flower.

jamesinclair
Jan 30, 2012, 8:43 AM
Very Miami in appearance and aesthetic. And in the sheer amount of parking, too, from the looks of things.

Exactly what I thought. From the sidewalk, to the grass to the parking to the building itself.

This was originally a Miami proposal.

pesto
Jan 31, 2012, 10:30 PM
That parking podium is no better - and possibly worse - than the one at the Watermarke tower on 9th and Flower, which also has ground floor retail to activate the base. The City really needs to create strict architectural guidelines for above ground parking garages requiring them to have some sort of meaningful facade treatment that adequately disguises the parking aspect while providing adequate ventilation for the garage itself. The parking garage on Spring between 3rd and 4th is a good starting point. Or even the podium on 717 Olympic, which while not the best treatment, at least makes a decent attempt to incorporate the garage into the overall aesthetic of the building (which isn't that good to start with).

This design is embarrassing at best. It's largely open - almost flauntingly so on the sides - and doesn't in any way relate to the aesthetic of the rest of the building. This is clearly where some of the cost savings are taking place, and sitting just above eye level, it will be just as bad of an eyesore on that area as the Watermarke podium is on 9th and Flower.

Sympathize to some extent; but LA is not NY or Chicago. It's closer to SD, Miami and such in weather and therefore in connection to the outdoors. Most Northern cities are built to exclude the weather since it is usually too cold and the rest of the time too hot and humid.

btw, it could very well be that the density of DT is what caused people to move away. The DT style was not replicated anywhere they moved to, with Westlake, Wilshire, Beverly Center, BH, Westwood, etc., getting dense, but with set-backs and gaps.

Illithid Dude
Feb 1, 2012, 1:57 AM
Sympathize to some extent; but LA is not NY or Chicago. It's closer to SD, Miami and such in weather and therefore in connection to the outdoors. Most Northern cities are built to exclude the weather since it is usually too cold and the rest of the time too hot and humid.

btw, it could very well be that the density of DT is what caused people to move away. The DT style was not replicated anywhere they moved to, with Westlake, Wilshire, Beverly Center, BH, Westwood, etc., getting dense, but with set-backs and gaps.

People never lived in downtown L.A. It was always mostly businesses and retail. People always lived in suburbs in L.A. Yes, the suburbs were very urban, but they were suburbs nonetheless. As L.A. grew in size, the suburbs expanded in every direction. As people started living farther and farther from Downtown, they moved farther and farther from the businesses downtown. And so, the businesses downtown moved to the suburbs to be nearer to the people. Moreover, at the time L.A. experienced its biggest growth (1960s), it was extremely car-oriented. The new 'downtown', Wilshire Blvd, was linear because it was oriented to the car. Cars could drive in a straight line all the way across 'downtown'. Historic DTLA was decidedly not car oriented, and as such was becoming more and more 'antiquated'. This was also a time when history was not respected, and everything new and modern was in vogue. Wilshire was new and modern. Downtown was 'antiquated'. As such, guess what was more favored? Wilshire.

You are absolutely correct on the part about L.A.s weather affecting architecture. L.A. is unique in that it is one of the few cities to have its own architectural style, California Modernism. This style takes advantage of the weather of L.A. by making the transition from outdoors to indoors as seamless as possible. This was done by making low, long buildings, glass walls and sliding doors so that it seems like the outdoors and indoors are one, and heavy use of natural materials. It truly is a beautiful architectural style, and many consider it to be the last beautiful architectural style. Some examples:

http://www.craigkrullgallery.com/shulman/images/CSH22_lvgrm.jpg

http://champagneandheels.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/JULIUS-SHULMAN-LA.jpg

Park Fifth was based off of this design, with the sliding doors and large balconies. I wish every day that those towers were built....

pesto
Feb 1, 2012, 7:16 PM
A nice discussion and I generally agree. The people who moved to the westside (or eastside or valley, etc.) could have built a new downtown in the Bway style, but went for other styles, mostly lower rise and with set-backs, which are actuall more appropriate for the climate. Same things when Bunker Hill went from residential to commercial; however, they failed to provide retail, food, and other amenities. It wasn't until South Park and the new Jtown that the new LA urban style is catching on. Wilshire has had similar for many years.

all of the trash
Feb 2, 2012, 5:55 AM
Sympathize to some extent; but LA is not NY or Chicago. It's closer to SD, Miami and such in weather and therefore in connection to the outdoors.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with this. LA did develop around the suburb and it is true that some architectural flourishes in new development are in line with San Diego and Miami. But Los Angeles has a density that far outweighs those cities and approaches a 10,000/sq mi when you factor out the Santa Monica mountains and the Hollywood hills and so it had to deal demographically, politically and economically with issues that older more mature cities face. Hence while LA may seem like Miami and sd on the surface, it has the grit, wear and tear of older cities. It's precisely this crowded sense of space and tension that should be informing developers and architects who are building for LA. Crowded space means community is important that's why I cant stand these towers that are elevated on podiums, essentially removing the structure from the street and creating a suburb-in-the-sky effect. Space is an illusion in LA. One that is as exacerbated by our mild climate. We succumb to car culture and parking requirements, so your suggestion that architecture in LA reflects our sunny climate is suspect for this very bit of reality: we have gorgeous weather but most of us want to be inside our cars. Um hello!?

pesto
Feb 2, 2012, 7:12 PM
I'm not sure I entirely agree with this. LA did develop around the suburb and it is true that some architectural flourishes in new development are in line with San Diego and Miami. But Los Angeles has a density that far outweighs those cities and approaches a 10,000/sq mi when you factor out the Santa Monica mountains and the Hollywood hills and so it had to deal demographically, politically and economically with issues that older more mature cities face. Hence while LA may seem like Miami and sd on the surface, it has the grit, wear and tear of older cities. It's precisely this crowded sense of space and tension that should be informing developers and architects who are building for LA. Crowded space means community is important that's why I cant stand these towers that are elevated on podiums, essentially removing the structure from the street and creating a suburb-in-the-sky effect. Space is an illusion in LA. One that is as exacerbated by our mild climate. We succumb to car culture and parking requirements, so your suggestion that architecture in LA reflects our sunny climate is suspect for this very bit of reality: we have gorgeous weather but most of us want to be inside our cars. Um hello!?

Miami and SD don't have grit? The gaslamp district was whores and heroin 30years ago. Miami's slums are straight 3rd world.

But this is not about density; it's about climate. You can crowd people in hot cities as well as cold ones. But the point of architecture in colder cities is to conserve heat and minimize time outside. Cities with mild climates (LA, SD, Honolulu, etc.) open to the outdoors because it is preferable to being crowded indoors.

strange_brew
Feb 3, 2012, 6:39 AM
I have a question directed towards anyone knowledgeable with the fiscal aspects of development in Los Angeles. It's self evident that L.A. is built out horizontally and for the past 10 or 15 years there's been a dearth of new housing supply. Land prices are high. Current stock prices are high. Shoddy dingbats from the 70's and 80's command prices in the 3 or 400$/sq. ft. range in certain areas. Yet currently, all that seems to be proposed and built are wood framed building 5-7 stories tall. I understand that wood frame construction is significantly less expensive than steel or concrete, but by how much on a cost per sq. ft. basis? With land prices being what they are, would the economies of scale gained by building taller justify the increased construction costs? How can cities like Miami and Chicago build tall and sell in the $300/sq. ft. range, but Los Angeles Can't? Is it a confluence of zoning, litigation, and funding keeping builders on the sideline?

Illithid Dude
Feb 3, 2012, 6:49 AM
I have a question directed towards anyone knowledgeable with the fiscal aspects of development in Los Angeles. It's self evident that L.A. is built out horizontally and for the past 10 or 15 years there's been a dearth of new housing supply. Land prices are high. Current stock prices are high. Shoddy dingbats from the 70's and 80's command prices in the 3 or 400$/sq. ft. range in certain areas. Yet currently, all that seems to be proposed and built are wood framed building 5-7 stories tall. I understand that wood frame construction is significantly less expensive than steel or concrete, but by how much on a cost per sq. ft. basis? With land prices being what they are, would the economies of scale gained by building taller justify the increased construction costs? How can cities like Miami and Chicago build tall and sell in the $300/sq. ft. range, but Los Angeles Can't? Is it a confluence of zoning, litigation, and funding keeping builders on the sideline?

I'm not quite sure either. However, I know that, in the next year, at least ten apartment buildings with concrete construction will by underway in L.A. My guess is developers were simply hesitant because of the economy.

LosAngelesSportsFan
Feb 3, 2012, 7:24 AM
i think parking minimums are a huge hindrance. Also the economic collapse of the last few years didnt help much. However, as Illithid dude points out, 2012 will see a slew of new projects.

strange_brew
Feb 3, 2012, 7:39 AM
I have a feeling that, more than anything, it's the opaque quagmire of local zoning and bureaucracy that's holding some major Sao Paulo or Tokyo style development at bay.

Illithid Dude
Feb 5, 2012, 12:46 AM
Reposted from Skyscraper Page:

http://www.laobserved.com/manage/assets/pdc-red-kenneth-johansson.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7018/6793920827_850649f6d2_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7155/6793919147_05a6fe3b76_z.jpg

Looking good. Still some of my favorite pomo in L.A. County.

BrandonJXN
Feb 5, 2012, 5:00 PM
Too bad The Red Building is having trouble singing tenants. Or so I've heard.

all of the trash
Feb 5, 2012, 5:11 PM
That's too bad. Red building is sexy, who wouldn't want to work there. Wish we had stuff like that in downtown.

Illithid Dude
Feb 5, 2012, 7:27 PM
Too bad The Red Building is having trouble singing tenants. Or so I've heard.

Mostly because the developer is charging absurd amounts per square foot. Like, even higher then most buildings in New York. He thinks that people will move in just because it is the Pacific Design Center.

bobbyv
Feb 6, 2012, 11:01 AM
Does anyone know anything about this project? It seems like a pretty cool development wish there was more of it.
http://www.willowwalkhomes.com/la-is-closer-than-you-think/

all of the trash
Feb 6, 2012, 2:47 PM
^is it me or is it really weird seeing row housing in LA, much less the LA Area?

Lovetowers
Feb 6, 2012, 8:20 PM
^is it me or is it really weird seeing row housing in LA, much less the LA Area?

no not really out here in Riverside and San Bernardino Counties theres that and similar complexes . . . now more SKYSCRAPER talk lol :tup:

StethJeff
Feb 7, 2012, 1:57 AM
they look cheap and out of place.

DistrictDirt
Feb 7, 2012, 2:13 AM

There's some honest to god rowhouse type buildings in both Koreatown and Westlake. I'll try to dig up some streetview shots if I can find the locations.

EDIT: Found the ones I was thinking of in Westlake. They're at Columbia Ave + 2nd St.

http://i.imgur.com/oSsis.jpg

LosAngelesBeauty
Feb 7, 2012, 9:53 PM
Beautiful! We need more rowhouses in Downtown LA. They add such a wonderful element to the urban landscape. Love seeing them in Manhattan every time I'm there!

pesto
Feb 10, 2012, 8:39 PM
Beautiful! We need more rowhouses in Downtown LA. They add such a wonderful element to the urban landscape. Love seeing them in Manhattan every time I'm there!

Absolute crapola; instant ghettoes. How could you compare it to decent quality NY townhouses with steps, stoops, iron gratings, brickwork, stonework, window decorations, roof lines, etc.? I don't think the worst part of the Bronx would accept this.

The quickest and surest way to kill downtown.

Kingofthehill
Feb 10, 2012, 8:57 PM
There some double-wide 20's apartment duplexes in the Central Core - even some in close proximity - but I would hesitate to call them proper, attached rowhouses.

Now, these are what you call rowhouses:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7160/6798273725_d2b497a544_b.jpg

DistrictDirt
Feb 11, 2012, 11:50 PM
There some double-wide 20's apartment duplexes in the Central Core - even some in close proximity - but I would hesitate to call them proper, attached rowhouses.

Now, these are what you call rowhouses:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7160/6798273725_d2b497a544_b.jpg

Patterson Park, Baltimore?

DistrictDirt
Feb 11, 2012, 11:59 PM
Absolute crapola; instant ghettoes. How could you compare it to decent quality NY townhouses with steps, stoops, iron gratings, brickwork, stonework, window decorations, roof lines, etc.? I don't think the worst part of the Bronx would accept this.

These are modest rowhouses, but I certainly wouldn't call them "instant ghettoes" or "absolute crapola". Not all rowhouses are fancy brownstones. You'll see plenty of modest, 2-story rowhouses in Baltimore and even in Capitol Hill in DC. In Baltimore you could still probably pick up one in a sketchy neighborhood for a song, but one like this in DC would easily sell for $600k.

all of the trash
Feb 12, 2012, 7:02 AM

Agreed. It's really the little things at the street level that can make a difference in neighborhoods. These things look cheap, cheap, cheap. Fortunately they are being built in Covina and Montebello rather than LA city proper.

Illithid Dude
Feb 16, 2012, 3:47 AM
Updated renderings for the new Sunset Junction buildings, courtesy of Curbed L.A. For generic infill, they look pretty good.

http://la.curbed.com/uploads/4000_Sunset_01.jpg

The picture above is 4100 Sunset.

http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2012.02_41001.jpg]

http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2012.02_41002.jpg

The other two pictures are of 4000 Sunset. Not bad.

LosAngelesSportsFan
Feb 16, 2012, 6:02 AM
actually, they are pretty damn good. i especially like 4100. looks very sexy.

any word on blvd 6200 breaking ground? should be any week now

Illithid Dude
Feb 16, 2012, 6:10 PM
New 8500 Burton Way construction pic. Looks topped out.

http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2012.02_8500burton.jpg

pesto
Feb 16, 2012, 7:29 PM
New 8500 Burton Way construction pic. Looks topped out.

http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2012.02_8500burton.jpg

btw, from the renderings, this also looks to be very much in an appropriate style for the 'hood.

I am a bit surprised they got away with this big a project since they dwarf their neighbors to the west. My guess is that BH and WeHo wouldn't have allowed it, but they are a block or two away.

colemonkee
Feb 16, 2012, 7:35 PM
^ It dwarfs the neighbors to the immediate west (and south of San Vicente/Burton), but it's not completely out of scale for the neighborhood. The building where that picture was taken from is far taller (10-12 stories), and is effectively across the street, though it is a big street, so it "feels" further away. Go north one more block and you have both the Beverly Center and the new Cedars Sinai tower, both of which are taller. Go a half block south, and you have the SLS Hotel, which is 8 stories or so. So it actually fits in pretty well with it's surroundings.

Illithid Dude
Feb 17, 2012, 12:12 AM
Aaaaaand.... more construction. Yay! So, in Santa Monica, a huge complex has broken ground, one with heights of up to 10 stories. It is... The Village! This has been in the wings since around 2006, so it is great for it to break ground now.

http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2012_02_smvillage.jpg

Quixote
Feb 17, 2012, 12:19 AM
^ Where is that?

Illithid Dude
Feb 17, 2012, 12:24 AM
^ Where is that?

It's on Ocean next to the new park they are building.

sopas ej
Feb 17, 2012, 3:26 AM
:previous:

Here's a Curbed article about it:
Work Starts Today at Big Mixed-Use The Village at Santa Monica (http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/02/work_starts_today_on_350mm_mixeduse_village_at_santa_monica.php)

You gotta love Santa Monica.

As an aside, here's an ode to what would become 3rd Street Promenade.
Now a Barnes and Noble, here's what was once a Ralphs on the SE corner of 3rd and Wilshire, circa 1940:
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics45/00042489.jpg
LAPL

Criterion Theater on what will become the 3rd Street Promenade, 1949. The building still exists.
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/5440/3rdstreetpromenade1949v.jpg
Vintage LA collection

Circa 1966
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3141/3rdstreetpromenade1966.jpg
Vintage LA collection

Sorry, I'm really obsessed with the LA area's past. OK, back on topic.

RST500
Feb 18, 2012, 12:32 AM
^ It dwarfs the neighbors to the immediate west (and south of San Vicente/Burton), but it's not completely out of scale for the neighborhood. The building where that picture was taken from is far taller (10-12 stories), and is effectively across the street, though it is a big street, so it "feels" further away. Go north one more block and you have both the Beverly Center and the new Cedars Sinai tower, both of which are taller. Go a half block south, and you have the SLS Hotel, which is 8 stories or so. So it actually fits in pretty well with it's surroundings.

If anything that project is not tall enough for the area. I envision it with 20-40 stories. Still considering the economy and NIMBYS its not a bad design either it just needs to be taller.

pesto
Feb 18, 2012, 7:06 PM

As you say, not with its immediate neighbors to the west and south, which are right across narrow residential streets. I'm not saying it was a bad idea to permit it, but it is a big shadow over it's closest neighbors and I'm not sure WeHo would have allowed it.

pesto
Feb 18, 2012, 7:14 PM
INBYS

If anything that project is not tall enough for the area. I envision it with 20-40 stories. Still considering the economy and NIMBYS its not a bad design either it just needs to be taller.

Where is there 40 story residential in that area? Or 20? There are single famly homes within a block and most apartments are 2-4 story. The tallest buildings in the area are about 10 stories at Cedars, and they have NO housing surrounding them, not even apartments.

Forty story may be OK in Ktown or DT or Hollywood, but it isn't even in the discussion here.

pesto
Feb 18, 2012, 7:18 PM
Circa 1966
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3141/3rdstreetpromenade1966.jpg
Vintage LA collection

Sorry, I'm really obsessed with the LA area's past. OK, back on topic.[/QUOTE]

Great pictures. I can remember those days. When first developed, 3rd St. was a colossal flop, in spite of money poured in. Businesses went broke and the street people outnumbered shoppers for at least a decade. It wasn't until much later that it started to catch on, when the trend to urban living started and the westside continued to boom with jobs and denser housing.

all of the trash
Feb 18, 2012, 7:45 PM
Just walked past wilshire+Vermont today and a crane is set up on the site now.

Easy
Feb 18, 2012, 8:28 PM
Just walked past wilshire+Vermont today and a crane is set up on the site now.

:banana:

Thanks for the update!

colemonkee
Feb 18, 2012, 11:14 PM
^ That's great news.

On another front, here are some model pics of the 8-story Selma & Vine office tower from Gensler's offices downtown. They have a model display window in the underground shopping area with some studies and models of real projects. Pictures taken with my phone and shaky hands after working a bit too hard at the gym, so take the quality with a grain of salt. And a shot of tequila.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1884/vineandselmamodel2.jpg

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4772/vineandselmamodel1.jpg

Illithid Dude
Feb 19, 2012, 1:16 AM
^ That's great news.

On another front, here are some model pics of the 8-story Selma & Vine office tower from Gensler's offices downtown. They have a model display window in the underground shopping area with some studies and models of real projects. Pictures taken with my phone and shaky hands after working a bit too hard at the gym, so take the quality with a grain of salt. And a shot of tequila.

I actually love this building. Just simple, nice, glassy infill, and a perfect density. Do they have any other models of any other buildings?

DowntownCharlieBrown
Feb 19, 2012, 2:51 AM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/429613_10150557533156941_142919661940_8773356_356386645_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/419275_10150557533231941_142919661940_8773357_1919384664_n.jpg

Is this the Wilshire/Vermont project where the crane was seen?

Can someone confirm this project is under construction?

Illithid Dude
Feb 19, 2012, 4:01 AM
Is this the Wilshire/Vermont project where the crane was seen?

Can someone confirm this project is under construction?

Yes, this would be the project on Wilshire and Vermont that is supposedly under construction.

Also:

Wow! You're back! I haven't seen you post in a loooong time. Is there any chance, since you are active again, that you could move some of the buildings that are 'Under Construction' according to Page 1 into recently completed? The Century, Beverly West, The Red Building, The Avenue, and 3429 W. Olympic Blvd are all completed. Thanks, and welcome back.

Muji
Feb 19, 2012, 4:13 AM
There has indeed been a crane at Wilshire/Vermont for the past few days, though it doesn't look like there's any sort of site prep just yet. It was mentioned a few pages ago I think that construction is expected in April.

Easy
Feb 19, 2012, 5:31 PM
There has indeed been a crane at Wilshire/Vermont for the past few days, though it doesn't look like there's any sort of site prep just yet. It was mentioned a few pages ago I think that construction is expected in April.

I wouldn't think that they would have a crane there if they didn't intend to use it directly. It's fairly expensive.

colemonkee
Feb 19, 2012, 7:20 PM
Do they have any other models of any other buildings?

They have a lot of models - including a study of the entrance to the now-completed Ritz Carlton/Marriot Hotel - but the vast majority of models are studies, not actual projects. The Vine & Selma one is the only one I recognized.

pesto
Feb 19, 2012, 11:38 PM
^ That's great news.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1884/vineandselmamodel2.jpg

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4772/vineandselmamodel1.jpg

Could be very nice. Reminds me of a simpler and shorter version of 560 Mission St in SF. A highly regarded work with a nice plaza next to it. But it's hard to tell about the detail for Vine/Selma from what we have so far.

DowntownCharlieBrown
Feb 21, 2012, 12:38 AM
Yes, this would be the project on Wilshire and Vermont that is supposedly under construction.

Also:

Wow! You're back! I haven't seen you post in a loooong time. Is there any chance, since you are active again, that you could move some of the buildings that are 'Under Construction' according to Page 1 into recently completed? The Century, Beverly West, The Red Building, The Avenue, and 3429 W. Olympic Blvd are all completed. Thanks, and welcome back.

Thanks Illithid Dude!

New job hasn't left me much free time, but I do check in here regularly.

Completed projects removed from page 1:
Century
Beverly West
The Red Building
The Avenue
3429 W. Olympic Blvd

If anyone has a good picture of any of the completed projects above, please post it so i can update post #2 on page 1.

a9l8e7n
Feb 21, 2012, 1:28 AM
I am very skeptical of the Wilshire/Vermont project being listed as under construction. There has been no legitimate sources for its groundbreaking. A huge project like this would have numerous articles for the start of construction.

Anyways, does anyone know the height of the 30 floor tower? It seems like it rises above all the other buildings in that area which is pretty impressive.

LosAngelesBeauty
Feb 21, 2012, 1:29 AM
I am very skeptical of the Wilshire/Vermont project being listed as under construction. There has been no legitimate sources for its groundbreaking. A huge project like this would have numerous articles for the start of construction.

Anyways, does anyone know the height of the 30 floor tower? It seems like it rises above all the other buildings in that area which is pretty impressive.

Went by there this weekend and saw a large crane/construction equipment in there, so it is actually prepping for ground breaking! :tup:

Steve2726
Feb 22, 2012, 1:54 AM
BLVD 6200 on the other hand remains a pay by the hour parking lot. Drove by today, no signs of imminent construction there.

Illithid Dude
Feb 22, 2012, 2:28 AM
BLVD 6200 on the other hand remains a pay by the hour parking lot. Drove by today, no signs of imminent construction there.

I'm not terribly worried about this project. I know it will start eventually.

And Steve2726, is there some special significance to the building in your avatar? I ask this because I live right near it, and drive by it almost every day.

San Frangelino
Feb 22, 2012, 3:25 PM
This might be old news, but I walked by the Old Spaghetti Factory on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood yesterday. It was fenced off and there were about a dozen men in hardhats hollowing out the building.

image from :http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2007-10-spaghetti_factory.jpg
http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2007-10-spaghetti_factory.jpg

Steve2726
Feb 22, 2012, 4:23 PM
And Steve2726, is there some special significance to the building in your avatar? I ask this because I live right near it, and drive by it almost every day.

I lived there for 10 years, moved out just last week in fact. It's a great building and will miss it, having a bit of sellers remorse. (the 2726 in my login name is the street address ;-)

LosAngelesSportsFan
Feb 22, 2012, 6:41 PM
This might be old news, but I walked by the Old Spaghetti Factory on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood yesterday. It was fenced off and there were about a dozen men in hardhats hollowing out the building.

image from :http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2007-10-spaghetti_factory.jpg
http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2007-10-spaghetti_factory.jpg

this would be huge news. that eyesore has been dragging down that area for years.

pesto
Feb 22, 2012, 7:29 PM
this would be huge news. that eyesore has been dragging down that area for years.

Agree completely. Hollywood is still grim in that direction and anything spreading activity and density would be welcome.

Is the latest plan still for 20 stories plus?

Illithid Dude
Feb 23, 2012, 2:55 AM

And this is why:

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/02/hollywoods_old_spaghetti_factory_razed_but_tower_groundbreaking_remains_a_mystery.php

http://la.curbed.com/uploads/sunsetgordon1-thumb.jpg

They demolished it. Apparently, groundbreaking for the tower will be this Monday (EDIT: rumored to be this Monday).

It's starting to get a little busy here in L.A..... This makes this the fourth high rise to break ground this year (Emmerson and the two Wilshire/Vermont towers). How many towers need to break ground before one could consider this a boom?

dktshb
Feb 23, 2012, 5:41 AM
Man this is going to be a big year in my Hollywood hood. I will have to take many picture updates. Very exciting.

Mojeda101
Feb 23, 2012, 7:04 AM
And this is why:

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/02/hollywoods_old_spaghetti_factory_razed_but_tower_groundbreaking_remains_a_mystery.php

http://la.curbed.com/uploads/sunsetgordon1-thumb.jpg

They demolished it. Apparently, groundbreaking for the tower will be this Monday (EDIT: rumored to be this Monday).

It's starting to get a little busy here in L.A..... This makes this the fourth high rise to break ground this year (Emmerson and the two Wilshire/Vermont towers). How many towers need to break ground before one could consider this a boom?

The new Marriot and Wilshire Grand should finish the job calling it a boom. We cannot forget the smaller projects such as the Broad, the nearby 22 and 19 story towers next to the broad that have been proposed and of course the new courthouse.

pesto
Feb 23, 2012, 7:09 PM
And, down at ground level, a new alley is opening East of Cahuenga. The development of this kind of nice urban space makes it easy for the people from the new office and residential towers (if and when done) to hang out and, of course, for tourists.

It's getting to where I can almost expect retail to fill in on and around the Boulevard.

LosAngelesSportsFan
Feb 23, 2012, 7:13 PM
And, down at ground level, a new alley is opening East of Cahuenga. The development of this kind of nice urban space makes it easy for the people from the new office and residential towers (if and when done) to hang out and, of course, for tourists.

It's getting to where I can almost expect retail to fill in on and around the Boulevard.

hopefully. im still perplexed why there hasnt been more new development between vine and highland on Hollywood BLVD. its the ideal location for a few boutique hotels.

BrandonJXN
Feb 23, 2012, 7:49 PM
I don't know if any of you saw this but it's pretty cool.

KLT9BCwKvPs

a9l8e7n
Feb 24, 2012, 12:37 AM
Man this is going to be a big year in my Hollywood hood. I will have to take many picture updates. Very exciting.

We have the Emerson under construction, the Old Spaghetti Factory plot almost under construction, blvd 6200 which sources said would start in January of this year but no word of it since (I'm assuming very soon), the selma/vine office project which I presume is soon as well as the selma/cahuenga hotel. If all these projects do go through in the coming months I'd say Hollywood is at a boom.

Have I missed any other approved projects?

Illithid Dude
Feb 24, 2012, 1:16 AM
We have the Emerson under construction, the Old Spaghetti Factory plot almost under construction, blvd 6200 which sources said would start in January of this year but no word of it since (I'm assuming very soon), the selma/vine office project which I presume is soon as well as the selma/cahuenga hotel. If all these projects do go through in the coming months I'd say Hollywood is at a boom.

Have I missed any other approved projects?

There are a couple 15-25 story apartment buildings that, I suppose, could go under construction this year. It's starting to look like apartment buildings of that height are financially viable.

EDIT: Also, here are some buildings under construction in downtown Santa Monica.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7062/6778408640_1322a949b9_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7195/6778408494_3692d116eb_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7058/6778408308_91919e781b_b.jpg

I really think DT Santa Monica is a great model for the rest of L.A. Country. Dense, urban, but still low-risy enough for NIMBYS not to spew there shit everywhere. If a quarter of L.A. country looked like DT Santa Monica does, then it would be in great shape.

pesto
Feb 24, 2012, 7:25 PM
There are a couple 15-25 story apartment buildings that, I suppose, could go under construction this year. It's starting to look like apartment buildings of that height are financially viable.

I really think DT Santa Monica is a great model for the rest of L.A. Country. Dense, urban, but still low-risy enough for NIMBYS not to spew there shit everywhere. If a quarter of L.A. country looked like DT Santa Monica does, then it would be in great shape.

My thoughts exactly. In most areas 5-7 is either acceptable to the locals or they will not oppose it strongly. And it is much more conducive to looking and feeling like a real city than scattered high-rises among vacant lots and sfh's.

But I think SM is a bit too restrictive on height.

pesto
Feb 24, 2012, 7:40 PM
I don't know if any of you saw this but it's pretty cool.

KLT9BCwKvPs

Very cool. Hopefully much more to come.

202_Cyclist
Feb 24, 2012, 7:49 PM
pesto:
My thoughts exactly. In most areas 5-7 is either acceptable to the locals or they will not oppose it strongly. And it is much more conducive to looking and feeling like a real city than scattered high-rises among vacant lots and sfh's.

Our smart growth advocacy group here in DC, Ward 3 Vision, had a smart-growth panel discussion earlier this week with Chris Leinberger (Brookings/University of Michigan), Roger Lewis (architect professor at the U. of Maryland) and Harriet Tregoning, the head of DC's Office of Planning.

Roger Lewis said that the most important part of buildings are the bottom 30 feet of them. He said whether they have cupolas or spires is not at all important. What is important is the street-level detail (amount of windows and doors, width of the sidewalks, number of curb cuts).

This has been discussed frequently here before but DC doesn't have a bulding taller than 12-13 stories. Most buildings in Madrid or Paris are less than 7 stories. If there are more buildings like the ones in Santa Monica posted above and these regions were connected by good rail transit, Southern California would be doing fine.

202_Cyclist
Feb 24, 2012, 7:54 PM
pesto:
My thoughts exactly. In most areas 5-7 is either acceptable to the locals or they will not oppose it strongly.

Here in DC, over-entitled NIMBYs with too much time and money will still fight 5 story buildings as too dense, even if there are existing 9-10 story buildings on the same street. You're being too charitable to the NIMBYs.

Muji
Feb 24, 2012, 8:13 PM
The affordable apartment complex at 6th and Mariposa/Normandie seen this morning. I'm glad that it's going to be a bit taller than I'd expected.

http://urbandiachrony.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/img_0757-e1330113976456.jpg

202_Cyclist
Feb 24, 2012, 8:18 PM
What is with all the wood multifamily buildings in LA?

DistrictDirt
Feb 24, 2012, 8:29 PM
The affordable apartment complex at 6th and Mariposa/Normandie seen this morning. I'm glad that it's going to be a bit taller than I'd expected.

http://urbandiachrony.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/img_0757-e1330113976456.jpg

Good progress! I walked by there a few weeks ago and it was much shorter then. Between this and the Hotel Normandie rehab, this section of 6th street is looking good.

Incidentally, I'm moving from Downtown to Koreatown this weekend, so I'm looking forward to doing some K-town updates and photo threads in the future.

pesto
Feb 26, 2012, 10:59 PM
Good progress! I walked by there a few weeks ago and it was much shorter then. Between this and the Hotel Normandie rehab, this section of 6th street is looking good.

Incidentally, I'm moving from Downtown to Koreatown this weekend, so I'm looking forward to doing some K-town updates and photo threads in the future.

Good to see this. Looks like they broke through the 5-7 story trend that is sweeping from DT to the sea.

6th is definitely improving; nice foot traffic and shops. Vermont is looking better as well. Next needs to be Western, which seems busy but is still shabby.

pesto
Feb 26, 2012, 11:04 PM
pesto:

Here in DC, over-entitled NIMBYs with too much time and money will still fight 5 story buildings as too dense, even if there are existing 9-10 story buildings on the same street. You're being too charitable to the NIMBYs.

You're probably right. You can oppose anything if you really try. But I love this trend of 5-7 stories that is taking hold all over. That is the best way to get rid of the blighted areas between DT and La Brea most quickly. Hopefully a few more towers right DT or around MacArthur or Lafayette, along Wilshire, etc.

Easy
Feb 28, 2012, 3:13 AM
I drove by Vermont/Wilshire and there was no crane that I could see from my car nor any sign of any pending activity.

Illithid Dude
Feb 28, 2012, 3:28 AM
I drove by Vermont/Wilshire and there was no crane that I could see from my car nor any sign of any pending activity.

My god, the crane is up, the crane is down, there is activity, there is no activity. This is quite the roller coaster of a development. Could someone post pictures?

BrandonJXN
Feb 28, 2012, 3:41 AM
The project on Wilshire and La Brea is green fenced. That area is going to look pretty neat pretty soon.

Illithid Dude
Feb 28, 2012, 3:52 AM
The project on Wilshire and La Brea is green fenced. That area is going to look pretty neat pretty soon.

Good density, but shame that the building itself is so damn ugly.

Illithid Dude
Mar 2, 2012, 7:37 AM
L.A. Times might have just revealed something big....

Linking to SSC:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=89059510#post89059510

So, in an article about the Emmerson College, they revealed some choice information.

Across Sunset Boulevard from the college, preliminary work has begun by Hollywood landlord and developer CIM Group on a long-planned residential and retail complex. Next door to that, another development is being planned by Hudson Pacific, but Coleman declined to reveal details.

This means that A) Old Spaghetti Factory is underway, and B) something new and unannounced is happening by Hudson Pacific.... Hmmmmm....

EDIT: Looking into this, I found that the Hudson Pacific site might be the KTLA campus a block down. And what was revealed for that camus about a year and a half ago?

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/09/post_ktla_studiorenovation_a_new_sunset_boulevard.php

http://cdn.cstatic.net/cache/gallery/4131/5015398774_e00ae7bce6_o.png

If this is moving forward... Well, with the Emmerson College Building, the Old Spaghetti Factory Building, and this, that long-blighted area of Sunset will start to have some life to it.

pesto
Mar 2, 2012, 7:01 PM
L.A. Times might have just revealed something big....

Linking to SSC:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=89059510#post89059510

So, in an article about the Emmerson College, they revealed some choice information.

This means that A) Old Spaghetti Factory is underway, and B) something new and unannounced is happening by Hudson Pacific.... Hmmmmm....

EDIT: Looking into this, I found that the Hudson Pacific site might be the KTLA campus a block down. And what was revealed for that camus about a year and a half ago?

If this is moving forward... Well, with the Emmerson College Building, the Old Spaghetti Factory Building, and this, that long-blighted area of Sunset will start to have some life to it.

Not exactly spectacular, but some nice height and open spaces, pretty close to the Red Line. Looks like Sunset is rivalling La Brea for activity.

Illithid Dude
Mar 8, 2012, 8:09 AM
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/03/touring_carusos_under_construction_8500_burton_apartments_1.php

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/4f57ef2285216d6d6900819e/8500.jpg

So, Curbed did a little tour of 8500 Burton Way. Of note:

-In addition to the Trader Joes, Caruso is looking for a small, hip, coffee shop to take over a corner retail space.

-This are truly luxury apartments. High end finished, designer furniture, etc. Concerierge (I can't spell) service to stock your fridge with Trader Joes.

-Interest is 'strong'. Leasing to begin this summer.

-Rents are higher then at The Americana.

-The Trader Joes will look more higher end.

If what they say is true, and interest is really that strong, then I expect to see many more of these types of developments (tall-ish, luxury, high density) to break ground in the area in the area or be proposed in the near future. Namely, I'm thinking of the building next to the Four Seasons that was proposed, the 12 story high-end apartment tower.

Chef Boyardee
Mar 17, 2012, 1:42 AM
Kinda dead in here. Anyway, i'm never in san pedro but this is interesting.

http://www.scpr.org/news/2012/03/16/31646/la-city-leaders-break-ground-san-pedro-waterfront-/

pesto
Mar 17, 2012, 6:00 PM
Kinda dead in here. Anyway, i'm never in san pedro but this is interesting.

http://www.scpr.org/news/2012/03/16/31646/la-city-leaders-break-ground-san-pedro-waterfront-/

Interesting. Technically part of LA City but like another world.

Is the goal to go after tourists or locals? A marketing campaign could bundle this with the LB attractions, but most tourists are bound to head for Disneyland or Hollywood/DT. Could be a rival for DT Long Beach if they can develop positive street cred.

JDRCRASH
Mar 19, 2012, 2:22 AM
New development?

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-hollywood-parking-lot-20120316,0,7488479.story

Chef Boyardee
Mar 21, 2012, 3:45 AM
Apparently the NIMBYs were out in full force against the old spaghetti factory tower. Seems the construction is about to start anyway.

http://parklabreanewsbeverlypress.com/news/2012/03/going-up-in-hollywood-23-stories/

Illithid Dude
Mar 21, 2012, 5:12 AM
Apparently the NIMBYs were out in full force against the old spaghetti factory tower. Seems the construction is about to start anyway.

http://parklabreanewsbeverlypress.com/news/2012/03/going-up-in-hollywood-23-stories/

And now, some choice quotes from the news article....

When seeking the entitlements, the project had twice the allowed density, half the required parking, was 215 feet higher than the zoning allowed and didn’t satisfy open space requirements

They may have meant that to sound bad, but it sounds fantastic to me. I love it. Also, open space requirements? I haven't heard much about those. I don't think many projects in Hollywood have much open space. Can someone clarify?

“It’s a highly unusual situation for a building in Hollywood,” McAvoy said. “We don’t often recreate things.”

Also, funniest quote of the year.

LosAngelesSportsFan
Mar 21, 2012, 6:06 AM
Excellent news. what ridiculous arguments by the nimby. when is this supposed to break ground?

WonderlandPark
Mar 21, 2012, 8:08 PM
This Guy at Wilshire/Barrington seems to be U/C got a glimpse driving by the other day, looks like the ground is covered in rebar and construction is on.

http://www.californialandmark.com/wilshire_barrington.html

OneMetropolis
Mar 21, 2012, 9:35 PM
Whats the status on that Blvd 6200, project? I am curious to see that get built.