PDA

View Full Version : LOS ANGELES | METRO Project Rundown 2.0 (non-downtown)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114

Illithid Dude
Oct 16, 2012, 5:33 AM
It looks so uninviting from the streets tho... they should open it up

On the other side of the corner, the building has a huge pedestrian entrance, easily the width of half of one of the buildings. It's just the angle I picked that makes it look a little uninviting, but even then, from the street, the project is really nice.

sopas ej
Oct 19, 2012, 2:42 AM
From Entertainment Weekly:

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/10/18/academy-museum-02_810x511.jpg

Academy reveals plans for Hollywood history museum

OCT 18 2012

by Anthony Breznican

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is moving forward with plans for a Hollywood history museum that would open in 2016.

A movie museum has long been a goal of the group, which also presents the Academy Awards, but it’s an expensive dream that has encountered assorted funding challenges over the years. Last year, the Academy redoubled its efforts with a fundraising campaign spearheaded by some well-known figures: Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger, and actors Annette Bening and Tom Hanks.

Today, the Academy announced it has reached its initial goal of $100 million toward a $250 million capital campaign to build the project.

The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures will be designed by architects Renzo Piano and Zoltan Pali, and will be located next to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art on Wilshire Boulevard in the mid-city area of Los Angeles, inside a 300,000 square-foot building that was once a department store.

[...]

Read the rest here (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/18/academy-hollywood-movie-museum/).

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/10/18/academy-museum_810x501.jpg

Illithid Dude
Oct 19, 2012, 3:12 AM
Nice. As long as they keep the Fairfax/Wilshire facade, I'm happy.

blackcat23
Oct 21, 2012, 4:12 AM
Took the red line home from work today, and decided to stop at Hollywood and Vine to get a look at the future site of Blvd 6200.

http://i.imgur.com/xfWqT.jpg?1

That is one massive hole in the ground.

LosAngelesSportsFan
Oct 21, 2012, 6:34 AM
Massive is the only word to describe that. thanks

citywatch
Oct 21, 2012, 4:30 PM
That is one massive hole in the ground.

what a relief that proj is finally underway! It occupies one of the most visible sections in hollywood....sitting right on the boulevard....so its importance is greater than it otherwise would be. I hope they start work on the south side of the street, which I'm assuming will be the 2nd phase, sooner rather than later. I'm sure the owner of the W hotel wants a nicer neighbor to be next to.

bobbyv
Oct 22, 2012, 1:48 AM
http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-apartments-on-melrose-20121019,0,5147579.story?track=rss

I went to the California landmark group website and don't find their work all that impressive maybe this one will be better

dktshb
Oct 22, 2012, 2:18 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49799436@N06/8111148052/

Illithid Dude
Oct 22, 2012, 5:01 AM
http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-apartments-on-melrose-20121019,0,5147579.story?track=rss

I went to the California landmark group website and don't find their work all that impressive maybe this one will be better

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5081f005/turbine/la-fi-mo-apartments-on-melrose-20121019-001/600

I like it. Plus, California Landmark always uses good materials, which makes my hope for this project higher.

bobbyv
Oct 22, 2012, 5:55 AM
From Curbed
http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2012-10-osh_4th_and_labrea.jpg
Picture credit: Alana Wexler
As part of last weekend's ConstructionWatch we identified the mystery surrounding the dirt moving around 4th and La Brea, site of a former car dealership. After much discussion about the site, we finally received confirmation from the OSH people that yes in fact they were going to build a store on the site. OSH's rep said that they don't have details to share on the store yet, but it will follow in the model of their recently revamped West LA store. Larchmont Buzz blogger Julie Grist has also been following the store opening, noting that the owner of the site is CIM. So hopefully we'll be getting renderings of the store from either CIM or OSH soon.

LAmarODom420
Oct 22, 2012, 5:13 PM
Does anyone know what is being built on Olympic a little west of Lincoln? It is a steel frame building easily visible from the 10. My apologies for not getting a picture.

BrandonJXN
Oct 23, 2012, 10:06 PM
From Curbed

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/10/first_plans_released_for_huge_towers_next_to_capitol_records.php

7aQQhig_bVo

Woo-ee, here we go: Millenium Partners and Argent Ventures have released a website and the first big report (the draft environmental impact report) on Millenium Hollywood, their plan to put two big towers on either side of Vine Street by the Capitol Records Tower in Hollywood. The project was first announced a year and a half ago and the DEIR still presents only a conceptual plan, analyzing a theoretical project "as tall as 585 feet on the east side of Vine and 485 feet on the west side of Vine." (The idea is that the city can approve the theoretical guidelines and the developers will be able to build up to those limits.)

That caginess might have something to do with the opposition this project has faced--neighbors, specifically those in the Hills, are terrified of new towers and their potential impacts on traffic and views. Preservationists are worried that the much-beloved Capitol Records building will be eclipsed by its new, tall neighbors. Millenium, meanwhile, has secured support from Capitol Records and from Louis Naidorf, the staff architect at Welton Becket who designed the building--"Naidorf says he always expected Capitol Records to be surrounded by taller structures and that he is confident it will be able to hold its own," according to a press release (here's a video of him talking with project architect Bill Roschen).

The (conceptual!) plan is to build two towers on 4.47 acres "using the Capitol Records Tower as a centerpiece"; they'll hold "approximately 492 residential units, 200 luxury hotel rooms, 250,000 square feet of Class A office space including Capitol Records and the Gogerty Building, 35,000 square feet of restaurant space, 40,000 square feet of sports club use, and 15,000 square feet of retail space." Millenium Hollywood will also include about 2,000 parking spaces in eight levels of above-ground parking (in podiums at the bottom of the buildings) and up to three levels of below-ground parking. (The project will replace multiple surface parking lots.)

The new buildings will be designed by Gary Handel Architects and Roschen Van Cleve Architects, but these renderings, like the rest of it, are conceptual. Landscape starchitect James Corner Field Operations (of New York's High Line and Santa Monica's Civic Center Parks) will design "extensive open space, street-level plazas, and enhanced pedestrian circulation encompassing approximately 25 percent of the entire site."

The major find in the DEIR is that the project will have an impact on traffic (surprise!), specifically at five intersections. The developers plan to widen intersections to add turn lanes, donate money for an upgrade of the city's traffic signals, and create "a traffic demand management program," which they say will get that number down to two intersections.

According to the press release, Mayor Villaraigosa is on board with the project, although there's no word from the area's councilmember, Eric Garcetti (he's running for mayor, so maybe he wants to keep a low profile on something this potentially explosive). Public review on the DEIR officially starts on Thursday; the developers hope to start work on getting city approvals in early 2013.

Kingofthehill
Oct 23, 2012, 10:49 PM
I am honestly...conflicted on this project. While I welcome increased density and urbanity to LA, the height seems a bit overkill and rather unnecessary.

LosAngelesSportsFan
Oct 23, 2012, 11:37 PM
i like it a lot and i think its about time Hollywood grows up. The infrastructure is there to support it

Quixote
Oct 24, 2012, 12:41 AM
i like it a lot and i think its about time Hollywood grows up. The infrastructure is there to support it

Literally and figuratively.

I also think it's time for us as a city to start embracing the DC model of building increased density (around 20-25 stories) around our HRT stations. Generic and modest 5-6 story infill just seems like such a waste.

LosAngelesDreamin
Oct 24, 2012, 2:37 AM
Literally and figuratively.

I also think it's time for us as a city to start embracing the DC model of building increased density (around 20-25 stories) around our HRT stations. Generic and modest 5-6 story infill just seems like such a waste.

I agree... i understand that building 5-6 story makes more sense for todays market... but it'll be a wasted opportunity in the future... building taller 20-25 like you said or taller is preparing for the future... population not only in LA is growing fast, but all over the world.. building taller just makes a lot more sense to me even tho yes right now it doesnt... but in the future it will

Illithid Dude
Oct 24, 2012, 2:48 AM
I am honestly...conflicted on this project. While I welcome increased density and urbanity to LA, the height seems a bit overkill and rather unnecessary.

I figure, if the height looks unnecessary now, it will look better in 20 years when more towers in Hollywood reach these heights. And besides, I subscribe to the Tokyo model of mid-rises punctuated by high-rises, which this project exemplifies. I'm a little more worried about the architecture itself, which isn't that good.

Quixote
Oct 24, 2012, 3:04 AM
I'm a little more worried about the architecture itself, which isn't that good.

These are conceptual renderings. I'm assuming you're reacting to the brown towers with the hanging shrubbery?

blackcat23
Oct 24, 2012, 3:21 AM

To an extent, I agree. Based on the perspective pictures that Curbed posted, the 500+ foot renders seemed out of scale with the rest of the neighborhood.

I did like the 400 foot renderings though. Still the tallest thing around by far, but looked much better in the context of the existing buildings.

Illithid Dude
Oct 24, 2012, 3:56 AM
These are conceptual renderings. I'm assuming you're reacting to the brown towers with the hanging shrubbery?

I am reacting to the towers. And I realize these are conceptual, but I'm not expecting them to change drastically.

Quixote
Oct 24, 2012, 4:42 AM
I am reacting to the towers. And I realize these are conceptual, but I'm not expecting them to change drastically.

If you're referring to this, then I would agree:

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/508706ba85216d6d09007d39/Millennium-Hollywood.jpg

However, there are other renderings that instead show two glassy towers. I think those look prett good, although I need better renderings.

Mojeda101
Oct 24, 2012, 4:48 AM
However, there are other renderings that instead show two glassy towers. I think those look prett good, although I need better renderings.

They're too tall. Granted, they did pass the 50+ story thing in Hollywood, but they're just so massive with relitivaly small buildings around them. 30 floors would be perfect, and then onward towards the Dolby Theater. I'd love an mini urban canyon there =P

Illithid Dude
Oct 24, 2012, 4:58 AM
Incredible- SSP actually thinks something is too tall! Now I've seen everything.

Anyways, I guess I'm going to create a page for these towers over in Highrise and Supertall Proposals.

Valyrian Steel
Oct 24, 2012, 5:39 AM
I don't think they're too tall. This area will likely have more buildings like this later on. And since it's two towers with one being shorter, I think they look OK sticking out in the mini skyline.

Quixote
Oct 24, 2012, 6:01 AM
Edit.

Illithid Dude
Oct 24, 2012, 6:26 AM
Some of you guys are forgetting that Farmers Field would double as convention center space and play host to Super Bowls, Final Fours, etc. It would be a multi-purpose venue.

The topic of a stadium in Chavez Ravine has long been discussed, but no concrete proposals have ever come forth. The only reason why this idea has resurfaced is because of the situation surrounding the sale of AEG. It should be noted that the NFL has never expressed dissatisfaction with the idea of Farmers Field (they would much rather have that than Grand Crossing). I think they know in their hearts that a Chavez Ravine stadium isn't going to happen. We'll see.

And as a rabid sports fan, I take offense to anyone who suggests that LA doesn't an NFL team. I'm sure LASF does too.

All true, but I think you accidentally posted this on the wrong thread. ;)

StethJeff
Oct 24, 2012, 7:26 AM

I actually agree. Everyone on this site agrees that Hollywood especially needs to mature, build over surface lots, and increase its density with taller buildings. With that said, that 500+ tower juts out a little too far on its own for my liking and does appear somewhat out of place. If this stretch of Hollywood already had several 300-400 foot towers in the area, I'd feel different. The way it is now however, that huge tower would be overkill.

BOYCOTT 90210
Oct 24, 2012, 3:39 PM
All ya'lls sound like NIMBYs, get over it. If a developer proposes a tall tower, I'll take it all any hour and day of the week.

blackcat23
Oct 24, 2012, 9:34 PM
In other news, the Vermont/Wilshire towers are progressing quickly; they're now working on the decking for the 4th floor on the 28 story tower. They have started assembling the 2nd crane adjacent to the shorter tower.

http://i.imgur.com/0BRN5.jpg?1

The 22 story tower is currently on the third level.

http://i.imgur.com/Rf7u8.jpg?1

Quixote
Oct 24, 2012, 11:20 PM
Amazing progress.

Mojeda101
Oct 25, 2012, 12:06 AM
Wish the Courtyard Marriott had this much speed and anticipation. Great photos!

a9l8e7n
Oct 25, 2012, 3:18 AM
Great Update BlackCat23...
I am making a progress gallery using ur photos so thats great that you are posting them on a steady basis.

LosAngelesDreamin
Oct 25, 2012, 10:51 AM
I actually agree. Everyone on this site agrees that Hollywood especially needs to mature, build over surface lots, and increase its density with taller buildings. With that said, that 500+ tower juts out a little too far on its own for my liking and does appear somewhat out of place. If this stretch of Hollywood already had several 300-400 foot towers in the area, I'd feel different. The way it is now however, that huge tower would be overkill.

well let them build this and then they could build the 300-400 ft towers later and it will seem normal... i think ppl just need time to get used to it.. it might look odd for a bit... but you'll get over it... downtown started off with the 150 height limit.. all of a sudden the bunker hill development started and they out of nowhere built towering skyscrapers.. on1, 2, 3, etc looked odd at first and too tall... but look at it now. Let them build these towers and it'll look normal later on.

LosAngelesDreamin
Oct 25, 2012, 10:56 AM
All ya'lls sound like NIMBYs, get over it. If a developer proposes a tall tower, I'll take it all any hour and day of the week.

SERIOUSLY!!! Look at Taipei 101, Empire State Building, Eiffel Tower, CN Tower and maybe theres more.... those are too tall to their surroundings yet nobody says anything

colemonkee
Oct 25, 2012, 3:02 PM
^ The difference between those examples and the proposed towers are that those examples were - and are - iconic designs in architecture that strongly reflect both the design and culture of the time (ESB, Taipei) and the advances in building technology at the time (CN, Eiffel). It's also well-documented that some of these towers were widely criticized for a period of time before they became icons of their respective cities. Each one has setbacks and massing that create verticality so that they stand on their own as practically sculptural designs.

These proposed towers have none of the above, save for the height relative to their surroundings. They are condo towers with some greenery. They say nothing about engineering advancements or culture (other than that people enjoy high-rise patios) at this moment in time. They make no architectural statement, other than "this design will pencil out to a reasonable enough profit to get financing." As a result, you get even ardent skyscraper fans - like myself - saying "they seem a tad bit too tall.

Had they come out with a statement design (think Zaha Hadid or Richard Rogers), I think the reaction here would be far, far different. It would likely be dancing bananas and "OH MY GOD, BUILD IT!!!" But as they are now, the 40-story version - or even a 30-story option - looks more aesthetically appealing, given the surroundings.

Personally, I think they should build one of the shorter options (I lean toward the 40-story version because it still ads significant height without being ridiculously out of scale), or they need to go back to the design drawing board and come up with an iconic design at 500-600 ft. that even NIMBY's will have to admit is an innovative, thought-provoking design.

blackcat23
Oct 25, 2012, 5:28 PM
^ The difference between those examples and the proposed towers are that those examples were - and are - iconic designs in architecture that strongly reflect both the design and culture of the time (ESB, Taipei) and the advances in building technology at the time (CN, Eiffel). It's also well-documented that some of these towers were widely criticized for a period of time before they became icons of their respective cities. Each one has setbacks and massing that create verticality so that they stand on their own as practically sculptural designs.

These proposed towers have none of the above, save for the height relative to their surroundings. They are condo towers with some greenery. They say nothing about engineering advancements or culture (other than that people enjoy high-rise patios) at this moment in time. They make no architectural statement, other than "this design will pencil out to a reasonable enough profit to get financing." As a result, you get even ardent skyscraper fans - like myself - saying "they seem a tad bit too tall.

Had they come out with a statement design (think Zaha Hadid or Richard Rogers), I think the reaction here would be far, far different. It would likely be dancing bananas and "OH MY GOD, BUILD IT!!!" But as they are now, the 40-story version - or even a 30-story option - looks more aesthetically appealing, given the surroundings.

Personally, I think they should build one of the shorter options (I lean toward the 40-story version because it still ads significant height without being ridiculously out of scale), or they need to go back to the design drawing board and come up with an iconic design at 500-600 ft. that even NIMBY's will have to admit is an innovative, thought-provoking design.

Very well put.

I'm all for density/height, but if you're going to build something with such a large visual impact, it needs to be aesthetically pleasing. Also agreed that he 40 story model looked much better in the context of the surrounding buildings.

JDRCRASH
Oct 25, 2012, 5:56 PM
The height doesn't necessarily bother me, but in my opinion, the real focus on the bigger picture, for now at least, should be on infill development replacing as many parking lots as possible, not just in Hollywood, but in Downtown, mid city, and everywhere else. The sooner that happens, the better.

Doesn't Millenium Partners also own the corner parking lot on Hollywood/Vine? maybe if the developer were to chop the taller building in half, and build a third shorter tower on that corner, at least some of the NIMBYs would go away? And to us urbanists, it would be great, because instead of replacing just two parking lots, we can knock out three birds with one stone.

StethJeff
Oct 25, 2012, 6:10 PM
SERIOUSLY!!! Look at Taipei 101, Empire State Building, Eiffel Tower, CN Tower and maybe theres more.... those are too tall to their surroundings yet nobody says anything

Colemonkee already laid it out beautifully, but I really couldn't let this one go. How the f*** are you comparing this to Eiffel, ESB, Taipei 101, or CN Tower?? You have got to be kidding. Nobody's talking about an instantly recognizable icon here. Far from it. It's a condo box.

BrandonJXN
Oct 25, 2012, 9:49 PM
A larger rendering.

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/508706bb85216d6d09007d3c/Millennium-Hollywood.jpg
http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/508706bb85216d6d09007d3c/Millennium-Hollywood.jpg

LAsam
Oct 25, 2012, 11:32 PM
Agree that they may be out of scale, and I'd prefer more horizontal infill (ie: replacement of more parking lots), but isn't the tower at Sunset and Vine a similar height?

XLucky4LifeX
Oct 26, 2012, 12:17 AM
Sunset and Vine Tower is the tallest building in Hollywood at 297ft, comparing to the Capitol Records Building at 182ft. The proposed tallest tower would be the tallest building outside of Downtown L.A. if reached to maximum height (585ft). It would be weird to see another "Century City" type of skyline in Hollywood, but I am going to go with the flow of whatever's going to be built. As long as the final design of the structure itself is iconic and qualitative, and uses the land wisely to bring activity to the street, then I'd be satisfied. It would make a huge impact on the skyline viewed from Mulholland Dr., where we would still be able to see the Capitol Records Building. The towers could resemble the start of high-rise boom in Hollywood since the height restrictions, but I would love to see tall towers built around the Hollywood & Highland area rather than the Hollywood and Vine area.

112597jorge
Oct 26, 2012, 1:09 AM
I think this is great news, I hope they build the tallest towers of 585 ft so later on towers reching 300 - 600 ft in hollywood wont be extreme and will be built and get Hollywood Gentrified and looking even beter.

LosAngelesDreamin
Oct 26, 2012, 5:57 AM

Well i agree the design isn't very appealing, its OK, so-so... but people were complaining about the height which i think is not even a big deal.. if its tall its tall.. so what? if thats how tall they plan on building it then aright, leave it alone. design ok i'll give u that but these aren't even final designs....

LosAngelesDreamin
Oct 26, 2012, 6:02 AM
Colemonkee already laid it out beautifully, but I really couldn't let this one go. How the f*** are you comparing this to Eiffel, ESB, Taipei 101, or CN Tower?? You have got to be kidding. Nobody's talking about an instantly recognizable icon here. Far from it. It's a condo box.

I was referring to the height.. not design... people say its too tall... honestly it really isn't too tall...

BrandonJXN
Oct 26, 2012, 8:42 PM
It's too tall for that area. Plus it ignores the Capitol Records building. I'm all about height and density but only if it's on a human scale.

LosAngelesBeauty
Oct 26, 2012, 9:26 PM
I think those two towers are way too tall in relation to the Capital Records building. Like others here, I'm all about height, but not when it completely overpowers the most iconic building in Hollywood.

LosAngelesDreamin
Oct 27, 2012, 12:50 AM
It's too tall for that area. Plus it ignores the Capitol Records building. I'm all about height and density but only if it's on a human scale.

Even the developer or architect whatever said he always saw the Capitol Records Building surrounded by taller buildings... i think a taller building would highlight the time of era when the CRB was built... height restrictions on the city except for those iconic towers i believe... not sure if that was the code. correct me if im wrong.

BrandonJXN
Oct 27, 2012, 2:03 AM
Even the developer or architect whatever said he always saw the Capitol Records Building surrounded by taller buildings... i think a taller building would highlight the time of era when the CRB was built... height restrictions on the city except for those iconic towers i believe... not sure if that was the code. correct me if im wrong.

Yeah taller but not dwarfing the Capitol Records Building. Something so tall that it makes the more significant building insignificant. That's the point those who are against it being so tall is trying to make.

Virtual Urban Vision
Oct 27, 2012, 2:48 AM
The Hollywood Sign, the Capital Records Building and Chinese Theatre are iconic landmarks not only for Hollywood but the SoCal region. I oppose the height of this building for the same reason I don't feel there should be houses built next to the Hollywood sign, it takes away from their visual impact.

LosAngelesDreamin
Oct 27, 2012, 5:07 AM
Yeah taller but not dwarfing the Capitol Records Building. Something so tall that it makes the more significant building insignificant. That's the point those who are against it being so tall is trying to make.

I doubt a taller building will make it insignificant... if the Capitol Records is striking enough.. it should and would never become insignificant no matter what is built next to it... it would always be appealing to ppl no matter what.. but whatever, its really pointless to argue

Quixote
Oct 28, 2012, 12:16 AM

This is obviously a bit nicer than what's shown in the other render.

http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2012-10-millenium_towers_capitol_records.JPG

dktshb
Oct 28, 2012, 7:04 PM
:previous: yeah, nicer rendering. I think the scale of the towers could be a bit lower though. I can't imagine this will ever come to fruition though, unfortunately. Regardless, would love to see this happen.

lenstern
Oct 28, 2012, 7:56 PM
When will some of you guys who consistently post comments here understand that the correct word is RENDERING not "render" as in architectural rendering?

colemonkee
Oct 28, 2012, 8:01 PM
^ Haha! Good call, lenstern.

rendering = noun, and verb in present tense
render = verb, and only verb

Quixote
Oct 28, 2012, 11:53 PM
When will some of you guys who consistently post comments here understand that the correct word is RENDERING not "render" as in architectural rendering?

Cry me a river.

I think that's the first time I've ever used "render" instead of "rendering."

bobbyv
Oct 29, 2012, 12:06 PM
http://www.trbimg.com/img-508dda91/turbine/la-la-fi-high-line-west.jpg-20121028/600
By Roger Vincent, Los Angeles Times
October 29, 2012
A $100-million apartment and shopping complex is being planned for a formerly neglected stretch of Hollywood Boulevard that once held a legendary rehearsal studio where generations of actors learned to dance and wield swords.

Commercial real estate developer Sonny Astani said he bought a 1.9-acre site on Hollywood near Western Avenue for almost $11 million. Among the structures on the property is a building that was part of Falcon Studios, a performing arts school founded in 1929.
http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/la-fi-property-report-20121029,0,489968.story

Kingofthehill
Oct 29, 2012, 12:16 PM
Great news for an especially shabby and down-at-the-heels, but potential-laden, part of Hollywood Blvd. But the name, though. How cheesy! I hope the whole Hollywood/Western nexus can capitalize on its superb location and unique demographic/architectural mix, and really start to take off.

Quixote
Oct 29, 2012, 12:31 PM
Right across the street is 5555 Hollywood Blvd. It's under construction and might even be topped out.

http://www.urbanstrategies-ca.com/images/portfolio/5555/hw1.jpg
http://www.urbanstrategies-ca.com/portfolio/5555hw.php

LosAngelesSportsFan
Oct 29, 2012, 5:00 PM
What a fantastic development. I've always liked that area and have seen the potentials it good to see investment. The scale is great, the fact that there is no set back and the historic integration All make this a winner

Illithid Dude
Oct 29, 2012, 5:48 PM
Right across the street is 5555 Hollywood Blvd. It's under construction and might even be topped out.

http://www.urbanstrategies-ca.com/images/portfolio/5555/hw1.jpg
http://www.urbanstrategies-ca.com/portfolio/5555hw.php

Unfortunately, they changed the look of this building from this, IMO, very austerely beautiful Koening Eizenberg design to a value-engeneered shlock-fest.

But the new project looks nice. Depending on the materials, it could even look great. Astani does it again!

Quixote
Oct 29, 2012, 11:44 PM
Another rendering...

http://la.curbed.com/uploads/Hollywood%20%26%20Westernrenderingfacingwest.jpg

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/10/high_line_west_bringing_apartments_retail_elevated_park_to_hollywood_and_western.php

Muji
Oct 30, 2012, 12:56 AM
:previous: awesome rendering. I like the way it complements the historic building next door. Oddly enough, it's also by PSL Architects who designed 5555 Hollywood just across the street.

Quixote
Oct 30, 2012, 1:06 AM
Here's a good-looking project in Hollywood -- the Villas at Gower. It's been completed for the better part of a year, but I don't think anyone posted about it. Designed by Killefer Flammang.

http://kfarchitects.com/images/dynamiimages/projects/996.jpg
http://kfarchitects.com/libraries.php?nStartLinks=0&projid=244&catID=1#

http://www.kfarchitects.com/images/dynamiimages/projects/997.jpg
http://kfarchitects.com/libraries.php?nStartLinks=0&projid=244&catID=1#

LosAngelesSportsFan
Oct 30, 2012, 5:22 AM
That's absolutely gorgeous

Illithid Dude
Oct 30, 2012, 5:26 AM
That's absolutely gorgeous

And I believe it's senior housing, no less.

tujunga
Oct 30, 2012, 5:29 AM
I was referring to the height.. not design... people say its too tall... honestly it really isn't too tall...

They should design the towers to complement the capital records building no matter how tall they are. Two towers creating a "V" shape that cradles the Capital Records building. I think the hight is fine.

Quixote
Oct 30, 2012, 5:42 AM
It seems as if I'm the only one who doesn't have an issue with the height. Would you guys accept the project in its current iteration if it was guaranteed to look exactly like this:

I would in a heartbeat. That's a very classy design.

LosAngelesSportsFan
Oct 30, 2012, 6:47 AM
agreed. i think that it looks fantastic honestly. We gotta start somewhere in regards to height in that area

LosAngelesDreamin
Oct 30, 2012, 10:20 PM
It seems as if I'm the only one who doesn't have an issue with the height. Would you guys accept the project in its current iteration if it was guaranteed to look exactly like this:

YES!! I like it as well.

LosAngelesDreamin
Oct 30, 2012, 10:22 PM
agreed. i think that it looks fantastic honestly. We gotta start somewhere in regards to height in that area

Exactly, thank you!

mdiederi
Nov 1, 2012, 11:03 PM
Hollywood Palladium Sells Amid Luxury Tower Rumors
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/11/hollywood_palladium_sells_amid_luxury_tower_rumors.php

112597jorge
Nov 2, 2012, 12:26 AM

theres an apple store in the render, on ground level, i hope they build an apple store there if this project goes foward.

Chef Boyardee
Nov 2, 2012, 6:24 AM
Emerson college construction cam

http://www.emerson.edu/about-emerson/campuses-facilities/los-angeles/construction-cam

BTW, does anybody know if that sunset/gordon tower across the street is actually under construction or is it tied up in courts?

blackcat23
Nov 3, 2012, 1:19 AM
Not sure if anyone really cares about what happens out in Marina Del Rey, but since I had some time to kill while waiting for a friend, I took some photos of the nearly completed Stella apartment complex and the on-going remodeling of the Marina Marketplace.

http://i.imgur.com/jCjy8.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/5cUdy.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/c88UR.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/WjchK.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/K9Eld.jpg?1

LosAngelesBeauty
Nov 3, 2012, 6:51 PM
This one really made me stop and get out to check this thing out!

It's definitely a dramatic addition to the busy intersection near Beverly Center and SLS Hotel. Still far from being pedestrian oriented, but it's definitely better than nothing.

I kept thinking to myself, "If Caruso made The Grove look more like THIS, I wouldn't have as much a problem with it."

Hell, I hope he eventually develops a similar caliber project in Downtown LA!

http://imageshack.us/a/img195/9669/20121028175139572.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/8005/20121028180056892.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img441/4749/20121028180159783.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img210/3378/20121028175736613.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img713/7055/20121028180038895.jpg

LosAngelesSportsFan
Nov 3, 2012, 8:19 PM
WOW that came out beautifully. We need more of this asap!

Muji
Nov 7, 2012, 8:18 PM
The Wilshire/Vermont towers, now onto the 4th floor, viewed today from 7th Street:

http://urbandiachrony.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/img_1161-e1352318857567.jpg

Also, the Southwestern Law dorms at 7th and Shatto are now onto their top floor.

http://urbandiachrony.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/img_1162-e1352318873853.jpg

http://urbandiachrony.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/img_1159-e1352318834131.jpg

circuitfiend
Nov 7, 2012, 11:34 PM
So there's been no activity at 10000 Sta Mon Blvd since July, when a large trench was dug, bisecting the property. However, this week, workers have completely filled in the excavation and have leveled the lot, essentially taking us back to square one.

Don't know what that means, but I doubt we'll see anything happening there anytime soon.

Illithid Dude
Nov 8, 2012, 6:07 AM
So there's been no activity at 10000 Sta Mon Blvd since July, when a large trench was dug, bisecting the property. However, this week, workers have completely filled in the excavation and have leveled the lot, essentially taking us back to square one.

Don't know what that means, but I doubt we'll see anything happening there anytime soon.

Bummer, but my guess is that they were soil testing.

Robertpuant
Nov 8, 2012, 6:12 AM
I don't know what the consensus is among you guys, but I find the 8500 Burton project to be pretty unique. Definitely a style we're not getting here in Canada.

blackcat23
Nov 11, 2012, 9:23 PM
Vermont at Wilshire Construction Progress, taken today.

http://i.imgur.com/V9gar.jpg?1

Mojeda101
Nov 11, 2012, 10:50 PM
My jaw dropped. That is rising faster than Shanghai tower! Welcomed addition to Wilshire Blvd =]

HowardL
Nov 12, 2012, 12:20 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img210/3378/20121028175736613.jpgThis corner detail is tote brill. Love the flips.

Chef Boyardee
Nov 14, 2012, 12:18 PM
Plans Announced to Extend the Purple Line

http://www.atvn.org/news/2012/11/plans-announced-extend-purple-line

BrandonJXN
Nov 15, 2012, 5:50 PM
From Curbed:

The art set in Culver City bid adieu to the Branded Arts Building this weekend, with a party held in the mural-covered structure near Washington and National, across the street from the Expo Line light rail station. The Culver City Times reports that the BAB, used as a temporary gallery, is coming down in January to make way for developer Joseph Miller's upscale retail concept The Platform (likely akin to Hollywood's Space1520; see renderings). While it will be nice to see this area come alive--there is already one other development starting early work and another planned--the well-executed murals at this corner will be missed. Miller allowed artists like Meggs, Miss Van, Robert Standish, Herakut, and Andrew Hem to decorate the BAB and nearby buildings while he got The Platform plans approved by the city. Ah, the pains of progress.

Renderings here: http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/11/new_look_for_expoadjacent_retail_the_platform_in_culver_city.php#50a4483cf92ea13e06005305

blackcat23
Nov 17, 2012, 12:57 AM
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/11/city_approves_huge_universal_studios_expansion.php

City Approves Huge Universal Studios Expansion

by Adrian Glick Kudler

...the NBC Universal Evolution Plan, which has been kicking around in one form or another since 2008, has just gotten approvals from the City Council today (it'll still need to go another round with LA County). This is a huge expansion of the Universal Studios lot, adding two 500-room hotels, studio space, production facilities, offices, theme park attractions, retail, and restaurants (although it used to be even bigger, with 2,900 housing units, dropped from the plan this past summer). NBCUni will also add a new off-ramp for the 101, widen streets, and create a bikeway along the LA River.

DistrictDirt
Nov 20, 2012, 6:22 PM
I'm thinking of doing a La Brea Ave development photo expedition today. Any requests?

Illithid Dude
Nov 28, 2012, 12:57 AM
New project for Westwood, designed by LOHA. Looks amazing architecturally, IMO. Incredible design and a nice, dense height. Love it.

http://archpaper.com/uploads/image/westwood_approved_01.jpg

http://archpaper.com/uploads/westwood_approved_05.jpg

http://archpaper.com/uploads/westwood_approved_02.jpg

http://archpaper.com/uploads/westwood_approved_04.jpg

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=6372

ChelseaFC
Nov 28, 2012, 6:26 AM
With construction beginning in 2015, Ikea plans to build (http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_22077577/ikea-plans-build-biggest-u-s-store-burbank) their largest store in North America in Burbank, and will be twice the size of its current location.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site200/2012/1127/20121127__C_DN28-IKEA-RENDERI+PC76M9K.JPG

202_Cyclist
Nov 28, 2012, 3:40 PM
Playa Vista ‘Fills’ Up

By ROBBIE WHELAN
Wall Street Journal
11/27/12

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/MI-BS695_INFILL_NS_20121127180905.jpg
Image courtesy of the Wall Street Journal.

"More buildings are set to rise in Playa Vista, one of the largest undeveloped areas left in Los Angeles, as developers turn their focus from the exurbs to the “infill.”

Consisting of roughly 1,000 acres near Los Angeles International Airport, Playa Vista for decades was home to little more than an airplane runway and a hangar that at one point stored Howard Hughes’ infamous “Spruce Goose” aircraft prototype. But over the past decade 2 million square feet of office space and more than 3,000 homes have been built.

Now a group of investors led by Brookfield Homes, of Fairfax, Va., has reached an agreement to pay more than $250 million for the remaining 110 acres of undeveloped land in Playa Vista, according to people familiar with the terms of the deal..."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324784404578145572308360156.html

blackcat23
Nov 29, 2012, 11:52 PM
It's amazing that there is still that much empty land left in the Playa Vista development. I've lived half a mile from there for most of my life; it's hard to believe how much they've already built there.

On the bright side, the area would be well served by a future Sepulveda corridor rail line, as well as the long term plan of a Green Line extension down Lincoln.

I swung by the Vermont at Wilshire site today to check on the progress. They're now working on the decking for the 6th level.

http://i.imgur.com/LveE2.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/FeFtB.jpg?1

Muji
Nov 30, 2012, 9:06 PM
Very cool news from EaterLA about the former Wilshire Hotel at Wilshire and Normandie. Even if it came a bit late to the game, I'm very happy to see Koreatown starting to get its deserved slice of the redevelopment pie.

Source: http://la.eater.com/archives/2012/11/30/the_nomad_hotel_group_roy_choi_the_houston_brothers_sean_knibb_at_the_line_hotel_next_summer.php
The NoMad Hotel Group + Roy Choi + The Houson Brothers + Sean Knibb at The Line Hotel Next Summer
Friday, November 30
By Kat Odell

http://la.eater.com/uploads/2012_12_linehotel-thumb.JPG

The Sydell Group (The NoMad, NYC) is currently in the process of gut-renovating the Wilshire Hotel on Wilshire at Normandie with an all-star team. Chef Roy Choi (Kogi, Chego, A-Frame), nightlife brothers Mark and Johnny Houston (La Descarga, Harvard & Stone), and designer Sean Knibb (A-Frame) are together joining creative forces at The Line, a new urban boutique hotel that will celebrate - through food, drink, and design - all that Korea Town has to offer when it opens next summer.

[...]

For those unfamiliar with The NoMad Hotel in Manhattan, this property plays host to The NoMad restaurant, one of the hottest and toughest reservations in The City (and an Eater nominee for Restaurant of the Year), a restaurant run by Daniel Humm and Will Guidara, those of Eleven Madison Park, NYC's three Michelin-star fine dining destination. The Sydell Group is responsible for forging this deal and bringing in these power players, so it's no surprise that here in LA they're filling The Line with another high caliber team.

[...]

Chef Boyardee
Dec 4, 2012, 8:21 AM
Hotel Normandie is getting renovated as well.

http://hotelnormandiela.com/

Wally West
Dec 4, 2012, 4:22 PM
Hotel Normandie is getting renovated as well.

http://hotelnormandiela.com/

This is a pretty nice pic showing some of the changes to the hotel. But it is pretty outdated since the picture was uploaded to the hotel's Facebook in March.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/462905_253110154777221_858081722_o.jpg

San Frangelino
Dec 4, 2012, 11:21 PM
I had the day off, so I took the Metro Rapid 780 from Los Feliz to the Grove, and had myself a long walk back to Hollywood and Highland. I took a few pictures of the some the projects under construction along La Brea.

La Brea & Willoughby
Not much action here. Just a bit of dirt that had been moved around.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8059/8244882737_1b7bcd2ce2_b.jpg

La Brea & Romaine
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8065/8245951224_c6d8246d4c_b.jpg

La Brea & Santa Monica(Former Carls Jr.)
Currently 1 story high
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8479/8244885045_6934c2312f_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8198/8245957036_ce5d191e6f_b.jpg

Near La Brea & Lexington (north of McDonalds)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8339/8244886669_67ae17d026_b.jpg

La Brea & Fountain (Former Jons Grocery Store)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8348/8244887599_a666104c9b_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8350/8244888245_7c6a23b022_b.jpg

The crane from Hollywood and Highland
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8484/8244886189_421eda3c37_b.jpg

The only house I found decorated on my journy.:rolleyes:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8485/8244885795_dc0bbd454b_b.jpg

Easy
Dec 5, 2012, 1:08 AM
Nice update. I don't get to see enough of these.

Illithid Dude
Dec 5, 2012, 3:03 AM
Jesus, La Brea is booming! Sure, the projects themselves aren't very nice (with one exception), but you can't fault the density.

DistrictDirt
Dec 6, 2012, 12:10 AM
I had the day off, so I took the Metro Rapid 780 from Los Feliz to the Grove, and had myself a long walk back to Hollywood and Highland. I took a few pictures of the some the projects under construction along La Brea.

Excellent post, San Frangelino...thank you for taking those photos.

As an addendum, I wanted to post this article I found from a couple months back. Its a well-thought out analysis of all the development going up on La Brea right now, including most of the projects you snapped photos of.

La Brea: Los Angeles’ Linear Laboratory for Urban Density (http://www.thefastertimes.com/design/2012/08/22/la-brea-los-angeles-linear-laboratory-for-urban-density-3)
by Daniel Safarik
The Faster Times (http://www.thefastertimes.com/design/2012/08/22/la-brea-los-angeles-linear-laboratory-for-urban-density-3)

http://www.thefastertimes.com/design/files/2012/08/wilshirelabrea.jpg

A vision of the dense future of Los Angeles appears to be underway on a long stretch of La Brea Ave. from Wilshire Blvd to Fountain Ave. The typically low-rise commercial strip is quickly being transformed by a number of projects that are rising simultaneously, like formerly sleeping Goliaths, from their recessionary slumbers.

By early 2014, more than 1,000 apartment units will have popped up along the Avenue, along with more than 165,000 square feet of commercial space. At Fountain, Santa Monica, Romaine and Wilshire, forests of concrete columns and rebar have already risen above construction-fence level.

When these projects are considered alongside District La Brea, a conversion of the Continental Graphics building between 1st and 2nd streets into a complex of specialty retailers, La Brea seems well on its way to becoming more than a dividing line between the perceived “east” and “west” sides of Los Angeles. It stands poised to become a linear laboratory where Los Angeles figures out what kind of city it wants to be.

More (http://www.thefastertimes.com/design/2012/08/22/la-brea-los-angeles-linear-laboratory-for-urban-density-3)...

blackcat23
Dec 8, 2012, 12:39 AM
Here's one we don't see a whole lot of: the massive Blvd 6200 project at Hollywood and Argyle.

http://i.imgur.com/sE6UR.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/6AHSA.jpg?1

BrandonJXN
Dec 8, 2012, 6:53 PM
Awesome.