PDA

View Full Version : LOS ANGELES | METRO Project Rundown 2.0 (non-downtown)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114

LosAngelesSportsFan
Jul 26, 2013, 7:53 PM
i fail to see how hillside homes 1000 feet up and 1/2 a mile away will have their views obstructed or ruined. in fact, this will improve their views. these nimbys are just being misled by greed and robert silverstein or whatever the lawyers name is

ChelseaFC
Jul 26, 2013, 9:12 PM
Right, I was just talking about the idea of property value in the abstract. I have no idea where posters on this site are seeing these complaints. Without some context about which people are complaining, who they are complaining to, and what they are complaining about, it's hard for me to really comment either way. I would just advise against painting all suspected NIMBY's with one broad brush, which tends to be a popular pastime of urbanophiles (i.e. if you don't like a project, screw you, you're automatically a NIMBY). Perhaps they do have legitimate concerns, I'd just need to know more info.

inSaeculaSaeculorum
Jul 26, 2013, 9:59 PM
Complaints dealing with hillside views of Hollywood should be laughed out of any community meeting. But most complaints I read about in the news almost always have to do with traffic congestion and urban blight (because we gotta preserve the charm of chain link fences and surface parking lots). That's why the Casden project near the future Expo extension got shrunk by more than half.

The longer I live in LA without a car, the less I'm likely to sympathize with the complaints of car drivers in LA. I know traffic is frustrating but I would be more sympathetic if these NIMBYs were actually about smart growth instead of trying to preserve some version of the city that ceased to exist in the 1950s. If they were truly concerned about their neighborhoods they would have allowed a top-down implementation of metro's rail system, allowing subway construction of the most dense/high priority corridors in the city so that when the system expands, people would already have at least the core of the metro system built as an alternative to driving in place to get around city. But these same people sabotaged the Wilshire subway in its early days so we have them to thank for this piecemeal, haphazard way Metro's rail system is being built.

Developers are also at fault for building such ugly, pedestrian-phobic buildings. It's nice that L.A. is urbanizing and densifying but too much power is given to developers, businesses, neighborhood associations and other private entities in the process.

Muji
Jul 26, 2013, 11:38 PM
Glass is almost all the way up on both of the Vermont towers. At this rate, it'll probably be done in about 2 weeks.

http://urbandiachrony.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/dsc_1224-e1374881639750.jpg

colemonkee
Jul 27, 2013, 6:34 AM
The gas station and Denny's days are numbered at that corner. That land is simply too valuable.

blackcat23
Jul 27, 2013, 9:36 AM
Right, I was just talking about the idea of property value in the abstract. I have no idea where posters on this site are seeing these complaints. Without some context about which people are complaining, who they are complaining to, and what they are complaining about, it's hard for me to really comment either way. I would just advise against painting all suspected NIMBY's with one broad brush, which tends to be a popular pastime of urbanophiles (i.e. if you don't like a project, screw you, you're automatically a NIMBY). Perhaps they do have legitimate concerns, I'd just need to know more info.

I've read through a lot of the written comments submitted to the LA City Council and those responded to in the Millennium Hollywood FEIR. The two most common complaints (by far) are about the towers blocking views of Capitol Records and traffic.

Wilcal
Jul 27, 2013, 4:26 PM
Glass is almost all the way up on both of the Vermont towers. At this rate, it'll probably be done in about 2 weeks.

http://urbandiachrony.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/dsc_1224-e1374881639750.jpg
I love the transparent blue tinted windows. When residents install window coverings it creates an interesting and unique effect (vs. Apex tower downtown, for example).

Kingofthehill
Jul 28, 2013, 4:38 PM
The gas station and Denny's days are numbered at that corner. That land is simply too valuable.
How a Denny's and gas station are on LA's premier, flagship boulevard in the first place is, I think, pretty sad. I'll be happy to see those go.

SimonLA
Jul 28, 2013, 5:22 PM
How a Denny's and gas station are on LA's premier, flagship boulevard in the first place is, I think, pretty sad. I'll be happy to see those go.

Denny's isn't on Wilshire; it's just north. Vermont north of Wilshire is a mess until Los Feliz (and even then, has problems).

StethJeff
Jul 28, 2013, 6:24 PM
24 hour diners should be in every dense neighborhood, they just shouldn't be in squat buildings surrounded by a parking lot. If anything, we could use more places like Pantry or Denny's to create busier and more dynamic neighborhoods. Sometimes, you just really want a short stack at 3 am.

colemonkee
Jul 29, 2013, 2:30 AM
Speaking of Vermont, I had to drop a friend off in Los Feliz today, and driving down Vermont, the Vermont towers are visible all the way from Los Feliz Blvd. They're pretty impressive.

blackcat23
Jul 29, 2013, 5:57 AM
Speaking of Vermont, it does seem kind of strange that the development wave has passed it by while the other the streets along the Red/Purple line are getting tons of investment. Can't think of anything of note being proposed near the Beverly, Santa Monica or Sunset stations. Probably just a matter of time, I suppose.

In other news, J.H. Snyder is taking over development of 1601 Vine.

http://www.crala.org/internet-site/Meetings/Board_Agenda_2013/upload/Aug_1_2013_Item_3.pdf

http://www.saifulbouquet.com/images/saiful/80/selmaandvine__large.jpg

Illithid Dude
Jul 29, 2013, 7:01 AM
Bodes well for the project. One of my favorites in Hollywood, so it's nice to see some (any) progress being made.

202_Cyclist
Jul 29, 2013, 10:55 AM
http://www.saifulbouquet.com/images/saiful/80/selmaandvine__large.jpg

DC wants its 10-story box back.

colemonkee
Jul 29, 2013, 2:26 PM
^ Ha! Well, I think a lot of people would agree with me here that in many cases we'd be happy to take DC's 10-story boxes. This particular one is a Gensler design and a block away from a subway stop, so it's perfect for the location.

202_Cyclist
Jul 29, 2013, 2:40 PM
^ Ha! Well, I think a lot of people would agree with me here that in many cases we'd be happy to take DC's 10-story boxes. This particular one is a Gensler design and a block away from a subway stop, so it's perfect for the location.

The building looks fine but we'd be happy taking some of your skyscrapers!

Munchitup
Jul 29, 2013, 4:49 PM
I like the look of the building, the height seems appropriate compared to other buildings on the street (1600 Vine, Montalban Theater, Vine Street Garage, The Broadway). That lot is real eye-sore too - not only is it a surface lot but it has the derelict Molly's shack and an old abandonded key-maker / flower shop building. That corner is particularly attractive to the homeless population.

DistrictDirt
Jul 29, 2013, 6:42 PM
Speaking of Vermont, I had to drop a friend off in Los Feliz today, and driving down Vermont, the Vermont towers are visible all the way from Los Feliz Blvd. They're pretty impressive.

Likewise, I was driving through South LA yesterday and was impressed that the towers are perfectly visible from MLK/Vermont.

DistrictDirt
Jul 29, 2013, 6:44 PM
DC wants its 10-story box back.

Totally. That's a K Street box if I ever saw one. Unlike DC boxes though, I'm guessing it will actually have a decent ceiling height in the lobby :D

sopas ej
Jul 30, 2013, 1:26 AM
From the eastsiderla.com

Echo Park housing development to make room for commercial space and parking

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-IgEbiDp61pM/UbicF8vaoFI/AAAAAAAAmt4/lBepKZD8qsE/s618/do%2520it%2520project.jpg

By Tony Cella

July 29, 2013

The Canadian developer seeking to build a large housing development on the site of an Echo Park hardware store has tweaked the design of the Sunset Boulevard project to include more commercial space and parking in response to feedback from residents.
Aragon Properties had initially proposed building 201 units of housing on a 2.5-acre site on Sunset Boulevard near Everett Street. After meeting with criticism from some residents over failing to include ground floor commercial space, the company expanded the size of its project by adding more than 8,000-square feet of commercial space, 58 parking spaces and several housing units that can double as work spaces, said company’s the director of planning and development, David Roppel.
The director said the additional parking and commercial space were added in response to community requests for a mixed use space, which would “animate” and “bring more uses” to Sunset Boulevard.

[...]

Source: http://www.theeastsiderla.com/2013/07/echo-park-housing-development-to-make-room-for-commercial-space-and-parking/

Wilcal
Jul 30, 2013, 2:12 AM
Totally. That's a K Street box if I ever saw one. Unlike DC boxes though, I'm guessing it will actually have a decent ceiling height in the lobby :D

Maybe it's not stunning, but at least it fills in the too numerous gaps that exist in the area. It's the lack of continuity that literally evacuates the energy that should exist on the urban streets of Hollywood. I remember so many years ago (probably about thirty) that when exploring Hollywood, I found a landscape which was pocked, with emptiness, parking lots, run down buildings--you name it. And when leaving I become sad, and angry by the condition of the area that the city completely ignored. When looking at such great buildings (cross roads of the World, and Tiny Naylors were my favorites), I though of such great potential. And now I think it has finally arrived.

blackcat23
Jul 30, 2013, 3:37 AM
Filling the two surface lots at the Selma/Vine intersection will do a lot to tie that section of Hollywood together.

The developers of 1540 Vine on the opposite side of the intersection submitted their final plans to DBS for construction/excavation permits last week, so we'll probably have both projects underway at the same time.

Steve2726
Jul 30, 2013, 4:11 PM
Filling the two surface lots at the Selma/Vine intersection will do a lot to tie that section of Hollywood together.

The developers of 1540 Vine on the opposite side of the intersection submitted their final plans to DBS for construction/excavation permits last week, so we'll probably have both projects underway at the same time.

Sadly, it's looks like TCA Architects is still responsible for the design of this project-

http://tcaarchitects.com/selma-and-vine/

http://tcaarchitects.com/wp-content/themes/tca/assets/images/portfolio-arch-projects/selma-and-vine/selma-and-vine-large-01.jpg

LosAngelesSportsFan
Jul 30, 2013, 6:13 PM
its like they go out of their way to make all their projects so cheezy and cookie cutter. horrible firm

blackcat23
Jul 30, 2013, 8:13 PM
its like they go out of their way to make all their projects so cheezy and cookie cutter. horrible firm

Also the fact that they seem to be the go-to architectural firm for 5-7 story buildings in Los Angeles means that we see their cookie cutter buildings everywhere.

Those design standards can't get here fast enough. Hopefully they'll expand them outside of Downtown sooner rather than later.

Illithid Dude
Jul 30, 2013, 8:41 PM
In TCA's defense, the building has looked like that since it was announced during the boom years. The architecture shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

LosAngelesSportsFan
Jul 30, 2013, 10:28 PM
definitely not a surprise, but still crap nonetheless

inSaeculaSaeculorum
Jul 31, 2013, 12:33 AM
I wouldn't mind a building like that if it were built out in glendale or west covina or something.

When I go to traditional urban cities I love the effect of driving *into* a city and by looking at the built urban form you know you've arrived somewhere different. This doesn't happen in LA, and its not necessarily that the density doesn't change much from the suburbs into LA proper, its that LA's buildings also look similar to anything in monterey park or azusa for the most part. Designating zones like DTLA, hollywood and wilshire blvd for minimum design standards would really separate the CITY of LA from its surroundings and work more toward the 'center(s)' we've been seeking as long as this city has been around.

JDRCRASH
Jul 31, 2013, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't mind a building like that if it were built out in glendale or west covina or something.

?!

Don't erect that sh*tbox anywhere NEAR here.

inSaeculaSaeculorum
Jul 31, 2013, 11:46 PM
?!

Don't erect that sh*tbox anywhere NEAR here.

you SGV people should be so lucky to get something like that out there :D

JDRCRASH
Jul 31, 2013, 11:56 PM
you SGV people should be so lucky to get something like that out there :D

Actually, somehow I think i'd feel a little better if it was built somewhere like Azusa, Baldwin Park, or El Monte.

But, to me, cities like West Covina, Walnut, Covina, and Glendora deserve something more architecturally pleasing than that.

StethJeff
Aug 1, 2013, 4:07 AM
Actually, somehow I think i'd feel a little better if it was built somewhere like Azusa, Baldwin Park, or El Monte.

But, to me, cities like West Covina, Walnut, Covina, and Glendora deserve something more architecturally pleasing than that.

They're all the same to me, 'burbs. :shrug:

brudy
Aug 1, 2013, 4:22 PM
Also the fact that they seem to be the go-to architectural firm for 5-7 story buildings in Los Angeles means that we see their cookie cutter buildings everywhere.

It's like ordering off the architectural dollar menu at the drive through.

colemonkee
Aug 2, 2013, 2:43 PM
^ Ha! That's a great analogy. The only problem with it is that every now and then, an item on the dollar menu might actually taste good. The same can't be said for TCA's designs.

inSaeculaSaeculorum
Aug 2, 2013, 2:47 PM
Did TCA also do the atrocity that's going up on wilshire/la brea? I rode my bike past it yesterday and I couldn't believe how something like that could go up in that part of town in 2013. I hope the corner where the metro visitor information building currently sits/future purple line stop gets developed into something tall and elegant just to balance it out.

202_Cyclist
Aug 2, 2013, 3:39 PM
Is this a legitimate safety concern? The geological concerns cited by the Beverly Hills NIMBYs in trying to re-route the westside subway seem to be mostly BS but with these towers, it could very well be a valid issue.

Skyscraper site in Hollywood may sit on active fault, state says
Because fault is so close to planned project, more seismic testing is urged for Millennium Hollywood project, which would create two of Hollywood's tallest towers.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-51fb1528/turbine/la-1488790-me-0801-hollywood-fault-millennium-01-r-20130801/600
An escarpment — a steep slope — that is evidence of a fault can be seen north of Hollywood Boulevard and Argyle Avenue near the Millennium Hollywood site. At issue is exactly where the Hollywood fault runs. (Ricardo DeAratanha, Los Angeles Times / July 31, 2013)

By Rong-Gong Lin II, Rosanna Xia and Doug Smith
August 1, 2013
Los Angeles Times

"California's state geologist has declared that the Hollywood earthquake fault is active and may run directly underneath a skyscraper project approved by the Los Angeles City Council last week.

The assertion raises new doubts about whether the 1-million-square foot Millennium Hollywood project — which would create two of Hollywood's tallest towers — should go forward without significantly more seismic safety testing than the city has so far required.

While the Hollywood fault has been known for several decades, geologists have never mapped its precise route on a block-by-block level. Steep slopes formed by old fault ruptures are visible from the street on both sides of the project location, where developers want to erect 39-story and 35-story towers..."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-hollywood-fault-millennium-20130802,0,2672188.story

Trojan
Aug 2, 2013, 3:51 PM
Fuck it, the whole damn city is on a fault line.

blackcat23
Aug 2, 2013, 4:07 PM
If the state geological survey is correct, Capitol Records also sits on top of the fault scarp. If the Millenium Hollywood project is unsafe, isn't the Capitol Records Building also unsafe?

elcoronel
Aug 4, 2013, 5:03 PM
Does anybody know if there have been any updates on the Wagon Wheel development in Oxnard?

WonderlandPark
Aug 4, 2013, 7:26 PM
Does anybody know if there have been any updates on the Wagon Wheel development in Oxnard?

drove past that last weekend, nothing, nada, zip.

blackcat23
Aug 4, 2013, 10:49 PM
Sunset Gordon, now working on the 14th floor.

http://i.imgur.com/WEJ6Yc2.jpg?1

simms3_redux
Aug 5, 2013, 4:05 PM
The Vermont taken yesterday.

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/thevermont_zpsa5080874.jpg

202_Cyclist
Aug 5, 2013, 4:47 PM
Thank you for the photo. Other than the awful parking garage, those buildings look pretty good.

112597jorge
Aug 5, 2013, 10:28 PM
I like how the architect used the AC unit outline And made it part of the design, nice little detail IMO.

colemonkee
Aug 6, 2013, 3:23 AM
Sunset & Gordon looks.... okay.

On another note, I drove by Wilshire & LaBrea on Saturday, and holy shit, it's as bad as everyone says it is. It's almost like TCA took the very worst part of the very worst period of Michael Graves' career and put it all into one design, and used stucco. They should be fined - along with the developer - for putting a design like that on such a prominent corner, and saddling us with that view for the next 20-30 years.

Illithid Dude
Aug 6, 2013, 11:52 PM
Surprised no one said anything about this, but Curbed LA reported yesterday that the huge project on Sunset with the hotel towers and residential towers is about to start construction. Yay!

WonderlandPark
Aug 7, 2013, 12:57 AM
Yes, saw the yesterday, crappy useless rendering, would be nice to see what they are planning, and its not TCA, yay.

Illithid Dude
Aug 7, 2013, 3:01 AM
Yes, saw the yesterday, crappy useless rendering, would be nice to see what they are planning, and its not TCA, yay.

The EIR had many more renderings. I think I posted a few a while back. And it's SOM/ Koening Eizenberg! Architecturally, I think it's gonna be, if not great, then at least very nice.

Steve2726
Aug 7, 2013, 1:51 PM
Surprised no one said anything about this, but Curbed LA reported yesterday that the huge project on Sunset with the hotel towers and residential towers is about to start construction. Yay!

Fencing is up on the east side of La Cienega and demolition is nearly finished already on the small house there.

colemonkee
Aug 7, 2013, 2:49 PM
They're gonna have to take down the 6-story Peterson office building on the southeast corner, which will take a few months. So it will be a while before we see any real construction activity, as least on the eastern half. The western half may be quicker, as that building should come down a lot quicker.

RST500
Aug 8, 2013, 5:15 PM
Fencing is up on the east side of La Cienega and demolition is nearly finished already on the small house there.
Can you post a pic of what the area looks like now?

elcoronel
Aug 9, 2013, 6:47 PM
From Curbed:
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/08/enormous_santa_monica_blvd_mixeduser_back_on_in_hollywood.php

It appears The Lexington Project "with six 5 to 6 story buildings holding 786 residential units and 22,000 square feet of commercial space fronting on Santa Monica Boulevard" is once again planned... but no groundbreaking until 2017.

blackcat23
Aug 10, 2013, 12:57 AM
http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.com/2013/08/here-are-your-palladium-residences.html

Here Are Your Palladium Residences

..two new buildings which would be up to 28 stories and approximately 350 [feet] in height.

Both options offer 14,000 square feet of retail split between a low rise structure at the corner of Argyle and Sunset, as well as at the ground floor of the tower along El Centro. The initial study also indicates that the project will feature an gym, a spa, an outdoor pool terrace, a rooftop terrace, and private balconies (the outdoorsy type of amenities that LA really should have). The towers would provide up to 1,900 (!) parking spaces (isn't this a block away from a subway station?), as well as up to 820 bike parking stalls.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JACakbbFIAs/UgWJorqKdsI/AAAAAAAAAOE/fXqVVp9A8sc/s1600/4.PNG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-oHbXoMVLyy8/UgWKC-TaOaI/AAAAAAAAAOM/Vym38j4Qmdc/s1600/5.PNG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rOC5BKXTHk4/UgWLFyIhwhI/AAAAAAAAAOc/owNtLM4laKM/s1600/6.PNG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yYw0f8nfBEA/UgWLkDUymcI/AAAAAAAAAOk/D2zYsKPQJ-Y/s1600/1.PNG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0wplrt-O8Yo/UgWMFjNyEgI/AAAAAAAAAOs/bipqkiIe6Yg/s1600/2.PNG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mhNgVsutoYU/UgWMk621OBI/AAAAAAAAAO0/nggpIvT8Jlc/s1600/7.PNG

StethJeff
Aug 10, 2013, 1:49 AM
^^^ Yes, I'll take it.

JRinSoCal
Aug 10, 2013, 3:45 AM
I really like those towers. But couldn't they redesign the exterior of the ugly ass Palladium?

WonderlandPark
Aug 10, 2013, 4:42 AM
I had no idea Sunset Gordon wss downscaled thst much. Always thought it was 30 ish stories.

Illithid Dude
Aug 10, 2013, 6:51 AM
I really like those towers. But couldn't they redesign the exterior of the ugly ass Palladium?

The Palladium is awesome!

Munchitup
Aug 10, 2013, 9:33 AM
The Palladium is awesome!

As lame as the acts that play at the Palladium are, the building itself it quite nice to walk past.

202_Cyclist
Aug 10, 2013, 10:45 AM
1900 parking spaces is absurd.

Muji
Aug 11, 2013, 9:13 PM
It can't be said enough. 1900 parking spaces is tragic. Otherwise, the towers look very sharp.

Anyhow, here's Blvd 6200 from yesterday afternoon.
http://urbandiachrony.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/img_1849-e1376255280119.jpg

Munchitup
Aug 13, 2013, 6:24 AM
Some new developments from the west side of Hollywood:

1735 N. La Brea Condos:

18 Condo units, 2 density bonuses - giving it four additional units, a reduced parking allowance and additional height allowances. It was given density bonuses because it has a single affordable unit for a Very Low income household. It still has 36 parking spots, but on the bright side, at least it shows an effort to cut down parking.

It is being built on an empty lot next to the Woman's Club of Hollywood. They are about three stories up - it's not exactly a gorgeous design but will fit in well with other low-slung stucco boxes in the area.

From the Environmental Report:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1094605_689494201483_461817217_o.jpg
http://www.hhwnc.org/files/1735%20N.%20La%20Brea%20PLANS.pdf

I posted about this lot at Yucca and Las Palmas (https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/q71/s720x720/7172_681388395583_1663145768_n.jpg) a month or so ago, and it has barely changed - maybe gone up a single floor.

And this is an older story, but 1811 Orchid Ave is under construction and must have been for quite some time. It looked like it has been "topped off".

CIM Group plans to remove three existing buildings on the lot. There's talk of underground parking with 31 spaces. The entrance would be from Orchid Avenue. The design would aim to echo the Spanish style of the Las Orchidias building. The project would be three stories high, with five 1-bedroom, nine 2-bedroom and two 3-bedroom units.

http://hollywood.patch.com/groups/editors-picks/p/what-s-going-on-at-1811-orchid-avenue

From the CIM Group website:
http://cimgroup.com/ViewImage.aspx?f=TWLF_orchid_apartments_01.jpg
http://cimgroup.com/investments/byProductTypeInvestmentDetails.aspx?id=115

But uh, looks like no plans of what this thing is actually going to look like, other than like the Las Orchidias building (not exactly sure what that is).

Muji
Aug 13, 2013, 10:25 PM
Glass is now all the way up on the shorter Vermont tower. They've stalled a little bit on the taller one, but I imagine that it'll be done in the next week or two.

http://urbandiachrony.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/img_1854-e1376432411103.jpg

Also, the Southwestern Law School housing has finished on time for the new school year. I'm sure we all would've liked to see a more transparent ground floor, but otherwise I think it turned out well. They've planted two rows of street trees along 7th Street, which is a very nice touch.

http://urbandiachrony.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/img_1852-e1376432392938.jpg

http://urbandiachrony.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/img_1853-e1376432401127.jpg

Illithid Dude
Aug 13, 2013, 10:36 PM
White goes a long way. If this building was brown, it would be significantly worse. All in all, not great, but certainly still better than 90% of the things that are getting built around the city.

Quixote
Aug 13, 2013, 10:44 PM
Wow, is that a granite base?

JDRCRASH
Aug 13, 2013, 11:01 PM
Wow, is that a granite base?

Wow is what i was thinking, too. Usually I only see that kind of stuff in the office towers of Bunker Hill and the Financial District.

Kingofthehill
Aug 14, 2013, 4:49 PM
White goes a long way. If this building was brown, it would be significantly worse. All in all, not great, but certainly still better than 90% of the things that are getting built around the city.
Yeah....white makes it look like Tel Aviv, or Miami :haha:

blackcat23
Aug 15, 2013, 3:56 AM
More talk about the Hollywood fault line, but this time in regards to a project that hasn't made a peep in years: 6230 Yucca.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-hollywood-fault-20130815,0,1434970.story

brudy
Aug 16, 2013, 2:18 AM
The Southwestern Law building looks really good. I wish the low rises in downtown would be designed and built like this...

StethJeff
Aug 16, 2013, 5:03 AM
This is the part where non-architects like myself go "what's the big effing deal?" Honestly I don't see how everyone is impressed. Totally forgettable white version of Glo on the drive-by test.

Steve2726
Aug 16, 2013, 5:37 PM
Can you post a pic of what the area looks like now?

Sorry, been traveling for the last week, just got back. Fencing is now up on the west side of La Cienega and Sunset also. (the Tiffany Building portion.) Interior demo has started there and part of the far west end is being removed already. Interior demo has begun on the tall Peterson Building tower also.

This link has photos of the current condition-
http://laindependent.com/sunset-la-cienega-project-coming-down-going-up/

Demolition of the house on the far east end-

http://laindependent.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/SUNSET-AND-LA-CIENEGA-DEMO-4051.jpg

http://laindependent.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/SUNSET-AND-LA-CIENEGA-DEMO-4059.jpg

And the fence up around the Tiffany Building-

http://laindependent.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/SUNSET-AND-LA-CIENEGA-DEMO-4097.jpg

Steve2726
Aug 16, 2013, 6:17 PM
And we have some new renderings finally, I think it looks pretty damn good, great addition to the neighborhood.-

http://www.sunsetlacienega.com/

http://www.sunsetlacienega.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2-hotel-parcel-aerial.jpg

http://www.sunsetlacienega.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/6-la-cienega.jpg

http://www.sunsetlacienega.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/5-residential-parcel_east.jpg

http://www.sunsetlacienega.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/4-residential-parcel_plaza.jpg

http://www.sunsetlacienega.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/3-residential-parcel-sunset.jpg

http://www.sunsetlacienega.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/1-hotel-parcel-sunset1.jpg

Quixote
Aug 16, 2013, 6:48 PM
^ Beautiful. That's what quality development looks like.

BrandonJXN
Aug 16, 2013, 7:48 PM
This. All of this is a great and wonderful thing. This is quality. Why can't we get this in downtown?

inSaeculaSaeculorum
Aug 16, 2013, 9:01 PM
The western part of the city always gets the more understated, respectable and elegant designs for buildings of this height.

Very nice building but its nearly ruined with those ginormous billboards tacked on to the facade. I guess it's fitting for the area *shrug*

Steve2726
Aug 16, 2013, 9:30 PM
Very nice building but its nearly ruined with those ginormous billboards tacked on to the facade. I guess it's fitting for the area *shrug*

Agreed, but the Peterson Building is covered in billboards (see photos from earlier post) so it's really a wash in that regard. Also, their existence might make the more expensive final product pencil out, whereas without them it might have ended up being a TCA designed 7 story pile of crap.

StethJeff
Aug 16, 2013, 11:36 PM
La Cienega side is just a big wall.

brudy
Aug 16, 2013, 11:52 PM
This. All of this is a great and wonderful thing. This is quality. Why can't we get this in downtown?

What you said. This just depresses me more about a lot of the designs we're getting downtown.

Illithid Dude
Aug 17, 2013, 12:17 AM
dat SOM/Koning Eizenberg combo

NYC2ATX
Aug 17, 2013, 9:50 AM
Great great project, but one thing I'm confused on: is the midrise on the SE corner going to be demolished, or will be it remodeled/incorporated into the new structure?

LosAngelesSportsFan
Aug 17, 2013, 6:15 PM
its being demolished

blackcat23
Aug 17, 2013, 6:17 PM
http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.com/2013/08/selma-and-vine-moving-towards.html

Newer renderings of Selma and Vine.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1DJ8XAfxZ14/Ug7G8SMKMTI/AAAAAAAAASA/PnQLy9XdFjE/s640/1.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-x5XTqinR5j8/Ug7L7Pa7coI/AAAAAAAAASQ/JBplPSsQ8ok/s640/2.jpg

Not that bad, considering the usual TCA project.

StethJeff
Aug 17, 2013, 8:32 PM
See now that don't look too bad. I'd welcome a ton of those in the right neighborhoods. Not tall enough for DTLA, Wilshire, Hwood, etc. but pretty darn good for filler. Way better than that shitbrick in CityWest that people seem to inexplicably love.

inSaeculaSaeculorum
Aug 18, 2013, 12:47 AM
not great, not bad. huge ass driveway. oh well decent infill for LA standards (which is not saying much)

Muji
Aug 19, 2013, 6:27 AM
The Line Hotel, the Sydell Group's renovation of the old Motor Inn at Wilshire and Normandie, now has its website up: http://www.thelinehotel.com/. They are apparently taking reservations for November 2013. Also they've got a few pictures of their rooms:

Photos by the Sydell Group (http://www.sydellgroup.com/projects/hotels/the-line/).
http://www.sydellgroup.com/content/slides/wilshirehotel-333-finalp-675x350.jpg

http://www.sydellgroup.com/content/slides/wilshirehotel-94-final-675x350.jpg

On the outside, most visible work so far has been repainting of the building from yellow to light grey. The ground floor lobby has been completely gutted, though without much construction yet. Eventually, I'll get around to some photo updates when there's more to see.

superhugh3
Aug 19, 2013, 7:16 AM
http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.com/2013/08/selma-and-vine-moving-towards.html

Newer renderings of Selma and Vine.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1DJ8XAfxZ14/Ug7G8SMKMTI/AAAAAAAAASA/PnQLy9XdFjE/s640/1.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-x5XTqinR5j8/Ug7L7Pa7coI/AAAAAAAAASQ/JBplPSsQ8ok/s640/2.jpg

Not that bad, considering the usual TCA project.

In this rendering; Camden claims to have Equinox Fitness Clubs renting out space for a Hollywood location. Is this just a placeholder or did Equinox really sign on?

By the way, I miss the bigger scaled project... oh well, I guess it still kinda looks the same

DistrictDirt
Aug 19, 2013, 5:18 PM
See now that don't look too bad. I'd welcome a ton of those in the right neighborhoods. Not tall enough for DTLA, Wilshire, Hwood, etc. but pretty darn good for filler. Way better than that shitbrick in CityWest that people seem to inexplicably love.

At least 1111 Wilshire doesn't have a 20' wide curbcut and driveway running through it, and more brick than glass at street level. That's suburban stuff. But hey, this forum would be really boring if we all had the same opinions on stuff. ;)

BrandonJXN
Aug 19, 2013, 6:24 PM
From Curbed:

As Los Angeles inches away from its car-centric past, the car-focused Petersen Automotive Museum is turning its back on the mid-century autopia too--the converted 1962 department store on Wilshire Boulevard that it calls home is about to get "a complete exterior transformation and a dynamic redesign of the interior," as a press release puts it. Goodbye vertical fins, hello wild ribbons. (Wilshire is the original car-oriented boulevard, but is changing its image as it plans for the arrival of the Purple Line subway.) Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates have designed the new look: "Long ribbons of stainless steel will wrap around three sides and over the top of the deep red building, making a visceral statement that evokes the imagery of speed and the organic curves of a coach-built automobile. At night, the color and forms will be lit from within to accentuate the steel sculpture and act as a beacon in the neighborhood known as The Miracle Mile."

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/5212549cf92ea161bb0317d4/INTERIOR-April-2013-R02-(2).jpg

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/08/inside_and_outside_the_petersen_museums_speedy_new_look.php

Mojeda101
Aug 22, 2013, 3:42 AM
Vermont Towers

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7385/9568027490_bc99850e3d_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21978107@N08/9568027490/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21978107@N08/9568027490/) by mojeda101 (http://www.flickr.com/people/21978107@N08/), on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/9565237937_0bbc626419_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21978107@N08/9565237937/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21978107@N08/9565237937/) by mojeda101 (http://www.flickr.com/people/21978107@N08/), on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3746/9565241835_1473eb7565_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21978107@N08/9565241835/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21978107@N08/9565241835/) by mojeda101 (http://www.flickr.com/people/21978107@N08/), on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2892/9568035496_67c1f709df_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21978107@N08/9568035496/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21978107@N08/9568035496/) by mojeda101 (http://www.flickr.com/people/21978107@N08/), on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2864/9565256899_19e00dcb8b_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21978107@N08/9565256899/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21978107@N08/9565256899/) by mojeda101 (http://www.flickr.com/people/21978107@N08/), on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3701/9565259367_f67bd94402_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21978107@N08/9565259367/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21978107@N08/9565259367/) by mojeda101 (http://www.flickr.com/people/21978107@N08/), on Flickr

JDRCRASH
Aug 22, 2013, 4:09 AM
Sooo much parking... :(

I hope at some point it would be structurally feasible to convert all these stupid podiums into residential or office space.

Valyrian Steel
Aug 22, 2013, 4:14 AM
Wow, I never knew how huge that parking podium is. :koko:

Muji
Aug 22, 2013, 5:04 AM
I'd completely forgotten about this project, but Curbed reports that CIM's renovation of an old apartment tower at 7th and Ardmore in Koreatown is done. Mostly good, minus the inexplicable orange stripe and a big wasted opportunity to landscape their very wide sidewalk.

Picture courtesy of Curbed LA (http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/08/revamped_midcentury_apartments_with_yoga_open_in_ktown.php)
http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/521553abf92ea149600345b1/view5.jpg

blackcat23
Aug 22, 2013, 6:07 AM
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2864/9565256899_19e00dcb8b_c.jpg

Really like this shot. Partially because Bullocks Wilshire is one of my favorite buildings in the city, and partially because it shows how much potential the neighborhood still has in it. Densest part of LA, but still plenty of empty land waiting to be developed.

202_Cyclist
Aug 22, 2013, 3:04 PM
Wow, I never knew how huge that parking podium is. :koko:

I absolutely agree, this is absurd. It seems that LA is a bit bipolar. The county is spending billions of dollars investing in rail transit while at the same time allowing buildings like this to have a ridiculous amount of transit, directly limiting transit ridership.

It looks the these apartments or condos will have great views, however.

Wilcal
Aug 22, 2013, 5:17 PM
I absolutely agree, this is absurd. It seems that LA is a bit bipolar. The county is spending billions of dollars investing in rail transit while at the same time allowing buildings like this to have a ridiculous amount of transit, directly limiting transit ridership.

It looks the these apartments or condos will have great views, however.

You're right, it is an absurd waste of money and resources. Think about all the concrete and steel (rebar) needed to build such a monstrosity. I don't think that the Snyder Development Company opted for this (they are too smart), I think that the "brilliant" planning dept. of the city did.

Wilcal
Aug 22, 2013, 5:24 PM
I'd completely forgotten about this project, but Curbed reports that CIM's renovation of an old apartment tower at 7th and Ardmore in Koreatown is done. Mostly good, minus the inexplicable orange stripe and a big wasted opportunity to landscape their very wide sidewalk.

Picture courtesy of Curbed LA (http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/08/revamped_midcentury_apartments_with_yoga_open_in_ktown.php)
http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/521553abf92ea149600345b1/view5.jpg

I like the orange stripe, I think that it looks funky. The CIM Group does good work. I have yet to see any designs which are of poor quality. I'm hopping that they "get with it" for their project in downtown. I have a feeling that they are waiting to see the response for higher end (e.g. very expensive) housing such as iHope and 8th and Olive. In which case, it will be a few years before they commit to building.

202_Cyclist
Aug 22, 2013, 5:37 PM
You're right, it is an absurd waste of money and resources. Think about all the concrete and steel (rebar) needed to build such a monstrosity. I don't think that the Snyder Development Company opted for this (they are too smart), I think that the "brilliant" planning dept. of the city did.

Perhaps as this area continues to develop, excess parking from this garageg can be used for shared-parking at neighboring developments and buildings. How can LA get parking so wrong? They seem to be doing a good job with transit, bike lanes, etc...?

Munchitup
Aug 22, 2013, 5:59 PM
Sooo much parking... :(

I hope at some point it would be structurally feasible to convert all these stupid podiums into residential or office space.

This might be a stupid question, but there is ground floor retail on this building, right?

blackcat23
Aug 22, 2013, 7:01 PM
If I recall correctly, the ground floor of the Vermont is supposed to include a full sized grocery store. That's probably one of the contributing factors to the excessive parking accommodations.

Chef Boyardee
Aug 23, 2013, 9:47 AM
Haven't been here in some time so haven't been keeping up with the latest news. Last year there were a number of high rises approved for century city (century plaza, the one right by BHHS, etc.). Are any of them under construction/about to be?

Illithid Dude
Aug 23, 2013, 3:37 PM
1000 Santa Monica Blvd is under construction, as is the mix use in Hollywood where the old CBS building is, and Burton Way is complete.