PDA

View Full Version : LOS ANGELES | METRO Project Rundown 2.0 (non-downtown)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114

Illithid Dude
Dec 12, 2013, 2:07 AM
In classic LA fashion, a judge rules against Hollywood's new zoning plan and calls it "fatally flawed".

NIMBYs Win Battle Against Transit-Friendly Hollywood Growth (http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/12/nimbys_win_battle_against_transitfriendly_hollywood_growth.php)

So, from what I've gathered, the city is going to have to re-approve the plan, right? It's not so much a crushing blow as much as simply a big delay.

losangelesnative
Dec 12, 2013, 2:33 AM
yeah youre right they have to start the approvals process again, unfortunate big delay though

IMBY
Dec 12, 2013, 4:19 AM
Are referring to the stumpy, seven story, stucco latrines that are so prevalent in our dense DTLA?

Isn't it Paris, France that has a 7-story height limit in the historic part of the city? Is that where that idea comes from?:shrug::D The Asians are in love with the number 8, I'm surprised, with the number of Asians in L.A., they're not going up to 8 stories! And all Asians on the 8th floor, and none of the 4th floor, as they're superstitious about the number 4.

All our newer hotels in Vegas, catering to Asians, have no 4's in the elevators! Don't be deceived by staying at the Palazzo, claiming there's 64 floors, there's only 54 floors. Look at the buttons in the elevator! 37, 38, 39, then? 50, 51, 52! No 4's!

caligrad
Dec 12, 2013, 7:01 AM
Just when we thought that Hollywood would develop into a city center like century city. We get slapped in the face. there's still hope though. This is just a setback. Hollywood has all the potential of being L.A.s next big city center. Its already pretty much set up for it, along sunset blvd... From Cuhenga Blvd/ vine Blvd and pushing towards the 101. that would be an AWESOME location for a new city center. makes perfect sense. especially with the current proposals and current construction, it was money in the bag. still hopeful.... But having its location.... being that close to the hills and the other neighborhood nimbys who feel Hollywood should stay "classic" while other parts of L.A. explode into city centers like santa monica, century city, mid Wilshire and etc..... Hollywood may be left in the dust in the long run trying to catch up to the rest of the city. But as one generation of thinking fazes out... and the new generation, my generation, fazes in... the future looks bright. Hell even Long Beach is in the process of revamping its downtown. Wake up Hollywood. get it together. Don't let a little group of people revert you back to how you were in the 80s and 90s.

edluva
Dec 12, 2013, 5:01 PM
time to finally move. LA will never be the city i want it to be in my lifetime. too many regressive ass backwards people here, too many barriers to progress. every attempt at taking a lead flounders eg mass trans, bike sharing, rezoning, "LA is going to be the next great -insert blank"

Illithid Dude
Dec 12, 2013, 5:20 PM
time to finally move. LA will never be the city i want it to be in my lifetime, if ever. too many ass backwards people are running things here

Hey, at least you put your money where your mouth is, and are actually going to move.

The Illusive Man
Dec 12, 2013, 5:58 PM
time to finally move. LA will never be the city i want it to be in my lifetime. too many regressive ass backwards people here, too many barriers to progress. every attempt at taking a lead flounders eg mass trans, bike sharing, rezoning, "LA is going to be the next great -insert blank"

Good. Now if we could only get the other clowns to move. LA would be a much better place.

edluva
Dec 12, 2013, 6:04 PM
Good. Now if we could only get the other clowns to move. LA would be a much better place.

what? you mean the brain drain is good for LA? doubt it. there's already a shortage of talented people as it is

The Illusive Man
Dec 12, 2013, 6:11 PM
what? you mean the brain drain is good for LA? doubt it. there's already a shortage of talented people as it is

Then leave duke. No harm no foul. The world is a big place and I'm sure there are plenty of cities that has everything you want.

I wish you the best. :-)

Illithid Dude
Dec 12, 2013, 6:14 PM

I guess in this scenario you're representative of the talented people, and we L.A. loving plebeians are the unwashed, ignorant masses L.A. deserves?

Munchitup
Dec 12, 2013, 6:32 PM
Just when we thought that Hollywood would develop into a city center like century city. We get slapped in the face. there's still hope though. This is just a setback. Hollywood has all the potential of being L.A.s next big city center. Its already pretty much set up for it, along sunset blvd... From Cuhenga Blvd/ vine Blvd and pushing towards the 101. that would be an AWESOME location for a new city center. makes perfect sense. especially with the current proposals and current construction, it was money in the bag. still hopeful.... But having its location.... being that close to the hills and the other neighborhood nimbys who feel Hollywood should stay "classic" while other parts of L.A. explode into city centers like santa monica, century city, mid Wilshire and etc..... Hollywood may be left in the dust in the long run trying to catch up to the rest of the city. But as one generation of thinking fazes out... and the new generation, my generation, fazes in... the future looks bright. Hell even Long Beach is in the process of revamping its downtown. Wake up Hollywood. get it together. Don't let a little group of people revert you back to how you were in the 80s and 90s.

It's a set-back, but it's not like Hollywood doesn't have a ton of construction underway and in the planning stages. And maybe the way they went about getting this pushed through was "flawed" even if the plan itself isn't - just shows it does not pay to cut corners (especially in a hostile environment like Los Angeles).

I read the plan and don't see the big fuss against it - there were only a few areas on the plan that allowed for tall buildings. I think a great deal of its critics just read summarizing articles which misinterpreted the plan. I am most disappointed because the plan did do a good job of preserving historic low-density areas and called for increased pedestrian amenities. Personally I don't think Hollywood should become the next Century City, that kind of height would be out of place - but I don't recall that kind of height being allowed under the current plan.

Illithid Dude
Dec 12, 2013, 9:40 PM
In happier news, the OMA project in Santa Monica is back on the table, and with more housing units to boot!

My only question with the Hollywood delay is, how will this affect the projects currently under construction? Are those going to be grandfathered in?

LosAngelesSportsFan
Dec 12, 2013, 9:44 PM
In happier news, the OMA project in Santa Monica is back on the table, and with more housing units to boot!

My only question with the Hollywood delay is, how will this affect the projects currently under construction? Are those going to be grandfathered in?

that would seem to be the logical answer, but who knows. Great news about the OMA project but the 2017 groundbreaking date is so infuriating.

DistrictDirt
Dec 12, 2013, 9:49 PM
I guess in this scenario you're representative of the talented people, and we L.A. loving plebeians are the unwashed, ignorant masses L.A. deserves?

I'll just leave this here.

Dunning-Kruger effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect)

Illithid Dude
Dec 12, 2013, 9:54 PM
that would seem to be the logical answer, but who knows. Great news about the OMA project but the 2017 groundbreaking date is so infuriating.

I believe the article says groundbreaking by 2017, so technically, the project could enter construction sooner. I think the biggest issue is the existing businesses and building on the site.

brudy
Dec 12, 2013, 10:12 PM
Then leave duke. No harm no foul. The world is a big place and I'm sure there are plenty of cities that has everything you want.

I wish you the best. :-)

You'll be the guy yelling 'keep smiling' as the building is burning down around you.

blackcat23
Dec 12, 2013, 11:18 PM

Blvd 6200, Sunset Gordon, Columbia Square, etc. were approved before the adoption of the Hollywood Community Plan, so the judge's ruling shouldn't affect them. Unfortunately, it does mean that it will continue to be difficult to get similar projects approved for at least the next several years.

The Illusive Man
Dec 12, 2013, 11:53 PM
You'll be the guy yelling 'keep smiling' as the building is burning down around you.

You'll be the guy that actually burned the building down because it didn't fit your criteria for a true urban walkable building or something nitpicky like that. Haha.

mdiederi
Dec 13, 2013, 12:00 AM
It's just one judge's opinion, there might be appeal options.

Planning Department Director Michael LoGrande said he and other planning officials were "disappointed" by the ruling and "will be discussing our appeal options" with the city attorney.
http://www.dailynews.com/government-and-politics/20131211/judges-ruling-a-blow-to-denser-development-in-hollywood

edluva
Dec 13, 2013, 1:43 AM

No, I should have qualified brain drain to mean the skilled or educated class - the class of people who are most likely to make LA a better looking, more progressive, wealthier city. Don't get me wrong, there's still some vindication in size alone. Size means that LA has great stuff but you have to cut through a ton of lameness to find it. Other cities "get it" and are more consistently awesome.

So I'm no attacking our forumers perse, nor am I putting myself up high - I am an average guy with some privilege - highly educated, highly paid, and work in an industry with a really small footprint in LA (as most skilled labor tends to have here). I would like to see more educated people here; the kind of people who have a greater appreciation for urbanism, architecture, transit, etc. The kind of people who are more apt to "get it" as well. The kind of people who, in proportionately greater numbers, push the city to standards we all secretly know we want LA to meet. Every city has a prevailing vibe or culture. LA punches way below its weight for a city and it thinks small. That seems to be the theme here. Talks of ambitious projects falling to petty NIMBYism (see latest), small-time architecture, easy to impress public, failed great-fanfare bike plans, things being poorly conceived or carried out, unprofessionalism in general. The city of two steps back. The city of low capability. It just feels relatively easy to be a big-shot here.

yeah, the failed hollywood plan was a disappointment. we can't even get a fucking plan in hollywood. but we have continental crosswalks and somebody considers union station to be "great". Sorry, but I am not impresssed.

inSaeculaSaeculorum
Dec 13, 2013, 4:48 AM
Completely agree with edluva. While there are some cute things LA is doing to bring itself up to San Diego standards, I'm always reading about and looking at truly ambitious modern things being done in cities across the globe, in new york, in europe and in asia. LA is considered a "alpha global" city but there is a huge disconnect...surely the developers, politicans and designers who are currently constructing this city have education. but what is disconnect here? i feel like these people don't respect the citizens of LA. and even worse i feel like they might be justified in that.

inSaeculaSaeculorum
Dec 13, 2013, 4:50 AM
You'll be the guy that actually burned the building down because it didn't fit your criteria for a true urban walkable building or something nitpicky like that. Haha.

that doesn't even make sense. your reply amounts to "i know you are but what am i" playground taunt. brudy is right. we need to discard people like the "The Illusive Man" if we are ever truly to become a great city.

tommaso
Dec 13, 2013, 4:56 AM
L.A. is like everywhere else. It's taking its time growing. The struggle is when we come up with great ideas and nobody's putting money behind our hopes and dreams. Is it fair to want sweet energetic areas to visit in L.A. and to have pride as a city? Well, the energy is there. We just have to put money behind our vision. I can see L.A. including all of our visions. It's just gonna take patience. We'll get our slice. We'll do it in an L.A. minute. Don't get lulled to sleep. Just enjoy the ride ;)

The Illusive Man
Dec 13, 2013, 7:59 PM
that doesn't even make sense. your reply amounts to "i know you are but what am i" playground taunt. brudy is right. we need to discard people like the "The Illusive Man" if we are ever truly to become a great city.

I just don't believe in the idea of being miserable like you guys. Life is way too short for that. Is there a crime in loving and enjoying what the city has to offer me? I don't understand why loving the city and actually being proud of the city makes me inferior, uneducated, etc according to that guy. LA lovers aren't the problem. It's the people that live here and dislike it.

I mean, it's not like someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to stay. You choose to be in an environment that doesn't appeal to you. I can't grasp that. Let us uneducated, sheepish, inferior fools enjoy the city.

Why not live in the cities with all these ambitious projects if that's the only thing that matters in making a city truly great?

I love LA and truly believe that it's a wonderful place. Yes, I just said that. I'll prepare my flame shield.

ChelseaFC
Dec 13, 2013, 8:19 PM
Having grown up here, I always thought LA was overrated. A little time away and I wanted to come back more than anything in the world. You truly don't realize how much this city has to offer until you're gone. Nothing about the city is homogenuous. It has incredibly interesting and diverse peoples, cultures, and geography. It's probably the best city in the world. There's a reason I have no interest living in Shanghai, Tokyo, or New York. I like what I have and I'm willing to take the good with the bad.

bighomey3000
Dec 13, 2013, 8:32 PM
Oh, did I stumble into the "Is Los Angeles overrated??" thread or "How does Los Angeles compare to other cities???" thread? Oh wait, I didn't. It's the Metro Project Rundown!

No one cares if you think LA is overrated / underrated / not rated. No one. Not your mom, not Jesus, not your dog, not your off-and-on again girlfriend who's cheating on you with a waiter. No one.

Both LA threads are full of pointless, endless bickering. Just stop it. Jesus. Post about development projects. Moderators please shut this crap down.

The Illusive Man
Dec 13, 2013, 8:47 PM
Oh, did I stumble into the "Is Los Angeles overrated thread?" or "How does Los Angeles compare to other cities???" Oh wait, I didn't. It's the Metro Project Rundown!

No one cares about if you thinks LA is overrated / underrated / not rated. No one. Not your mom, not Jesus, not your dog, not your off-and-on again girlfriend who's cheating on you with a waiter. No one.

Both LA threads are full of pointless endless bickering. Just stop it. Jesus. Post about development projects. Moderators please shut this crap down.

Hey, at least it keeps things interesting and these threads alive. :)

ChelseaFC
Dec 13, 2013, 9:07 PM
Oh, did I stumble into the "Is Los Angeles overrated??" thread or "How does Los Angeles compare to other cities???" thread? Oh wait, I didn't. It's the Metro Project Rundown!

No one cares if you think LA is overrated / underrated / not rated. No one. Not your mom, not Jesus, not your dog, not your off-and-on again girlfriend who's cheating on you with a waiter. No one.

Both LA threads are full of pointless, endless bickering. Just stop it. Jesus. Post about development projects. Moderators please shut this crap down.

Kinda ruins the impact when you have to edit your "angry" post.

The Illusive Man
Dec 13, 2013, 9:09 PM
Kinda ruins the impact when you have to edit your "angry" post.

hahahahaha. I love it when that happens.

bighomey3000
Dec 13, 2013, 9:51 PM
Hey, at least it keeps things interesting and these threads alive. :)

There are plenty of projects to discuss that we can avoid this. Edit: There is nothing wrong with editing.

Kingofthehill
Dec 13, 2013, 9:57 PM
Having grown up here, I always thought LA was overrated. A little time away and I wanted to come back more than anything in the world. You truly don't realize how much this city has to offer until you're gone. Nothing about the city is homogenuous. It has incredibly interesting and diverse peoples, cultures, and geography. It's probably the best city in the world. There's a reason I have no interest living in Shanghai, Tokyo, or New York. I like what I have and I'm willing to take the good with the bad.

I fully agree. I grew up here, went to school here, lots of friends/family here, and had a casual/marginal appreciation of the city. Since growing up, I've lived in Buenos Aires, Washington, DC, Berlin, and have spent lots of time in Norway. Man, I love LA more than ever now! No doubt LA has alot of work ahead of itself, but the diversity, architecture, food, weather, and general laissez-affaire secular and liberal society are all unique and very distinct upon having resided elsewhere. Knowing what LA was like in the past (troubled, suburban, violent, punching under its weight culturally, nonexistent transit, etc) makes me even more appreciative of the strides LA has been and continues to make.

I saw Chinatown last night at the Million Dollar Theater on Broadway last night. Epic. The neighboring Grand Central Market was packed, and vendors and shopkeepers extended their evening hours to accommodate the crowd. It was one of the first times that I have felt that I lived in a truly big, urban, and sophisticated city.

http://distilleryimage4.s3.amazonaws.com/743e52f663c011e3af0c12857895c600_8.jpg

jtown,man
Dec 14, 2013, 12:40 AM

And LA also has countless narcissistic people just like you.

blackcat23
Dec 16, 2013, 2:14 PM
I spoke to a PR rep for Rios Clementi Hale, who told me these are updated renderings for Columbia Square, albeit still not finalized.

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.com/2013/12/another-new-look-for-columbia-square.html

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-c84pNCQsRQk/UqgBM7wcZxI/AAAAAAAABkA/43a92vnNccg/s1600/columbiasquare1.jpg

caligrad
Dec 16, 2013, 5:29 PM
I spoke to a PR rep for Rios Clementi Hale, who told me these are updated renderings for Columbia Square, albeit still not finalized.

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.com/2013/12/another-new-look-for-columbia-square.html

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-c84pNCQsRQk/UqgBM7wcZxI/AAAAAAAABkA/43a92vnNccg/s1600/columbiasquare1.jpg

Not too bad.... I can accept this more than the previous two design concepts. it fits in nicely with the area so not bad at all.

BrandonJXN
Dec 16, 2013, 5:37 PM

I 100% agree with this. I'm a born and raised Angelino (with chunks of my youth spent in San Diego, and Riverside). I'm currently in Chicago which is the most impressive 'city' I've ever been in. Totally captures what it means to be American. In terms of quality architecture, you are not going to find a better city than Chicago. It's a museum of different times, and styles. But all my possessions for a Sunday at Venice Beach. There is no city that I would rather spend the rest of my life in than Los Angeles. Seeing how far it's come in a short period of time and seeing it's potential excites me more and more. How many cities of 4 million people have room to grow?

Illithid Dude
Dec 16, 2013, 5:42 PM

Damn, that's really hot. I can deal with this.

Kingofthehill
Dec 16, 2013, 8:52 PM
Those new renderings look amazing! That stretch of Sunset really is bulking up. It feels legit urban with all of these new projects. And to think, there is a ton of room to grow!

WonderlandPark
Dec 16, 2013, 11:14 PM
Wonder if the Hollywood Plan getting thrown out will kill Columbia Square and everything not out of the ground yet.

blackcat23
Dec 16, 2013, 11:24 PM
Columbia Square was approved back in 2010, so it predates the adoption of the Hollywood Community Plan. It should not be affected by the ruling.

Repealing the Hollywood Community Plan also doesn't mean that it's now impossible to build tall in Hollywood. The status quo remains, where developers have to jump through tons of hoops and apply for lots of extra entitlements.

kalifese
Dec 17, 2013, 3:10 AM
still trolling the forum with your egotistical highfalutin commentaries, eh edluva? if you despise LA so much, then why dont you do all los angelenos a favor and leave the city? it's a smart decision and win-win for everyone. :tup:

No, I should have qualified brain drain to mean the skilled or educated class - the class of people who are most likely to make LA a better looking, more progressive, wealthier city. Don't get me wrong, there's still some vindication in size alone. Size means that LA has great stuff but you have to cut through a ton of lameness to find it. Other cities "get it" and are more consistently awesome.

So I'm no attacking our forumers perse, nor am I putting myself up high - I am an average guy with some privilege - highly educated, highly paid, and work in an industry with a really small footprint in LA (as most skilled labor tends to have here). I would like to see more educated people here; the kind of people who have a greater appreciation for urbanism, architecture, transit, etc. The kind of people who are more apt to "get it" as well. The kind of people who, in proportionately greater numbers, push the city to standards we all secretly know we want LA to meet. Every city has a prevailing vibe or culture. LA punches way below its weight for a city and it thinks small. That seems to be the theme here. Talks of ambitious projects falling to petty NIMBYism (see latest), small-time architecture, easy to impress public, failed great-fanfare bike plans, things being poorly conceived or carried out, unprofessionalism in general. The city of two steps back. The city of low capability. It just feels relatively easy to be a big-shot here.

yeah, the failed hollywood plan was a disappointment. we can't even get a fucking plan in hollywood. but we have continental crosswalks and somebody considers union station to be "great". Sorry, but I am not impresssed.

ConstructDTLA
Dec 17, 2013, 5:22 AM

It's crazy to me that so many people hate on Edluva. Just incapable of stepping back and looking at your home objectively? :shrug: If everyone expected / demanded better of LA we would get a better LA. This defeatist attitude of "you dont love it just move away!" is counterproductive.

Criticism - especially from someone as educated as Edluva - is key to a better future.

The Illusive Man
Dec 17, 2013, 5:43 AM
It's crazy to me that so many people hate on Edluva. Just incapable of stepping back and looking at your home objectively? :shrug: If everyone expected / demanded better of LA we would get a better LA. This defeatist attitude of "you dont love it just move away!" is counterproductive.

Criticism - especially from someone as educated as Edluva - is key to a better future.

It's not defeatist. It's living in reality. Many of us love Los Angeles for what it is. If we wanted something else, we'd move somewhere else. Get it? You guys are trying to make into something it will likely never be. So in reality, you're just wasting all of this energy. It's kind of silly really. I don't want to become a clone of SF, Chicago, or NYC. I'm fine with development being spread around.

The Illusive Man
Dec 17, 2013, 5:56 AM
That new tower looks pretty awesome though. I look forward to seeing that thing go up.

ConstructDTLA
Dec 17, 2013, 6:28 AM
It's not defeatist. It's living in reality. Many of us love Los Angeles for what it is. If we wanted something else, we'd move somewhere else. Get it? You guys are trying to make into something it will likely never be. So in reality, you're just wasting all of this energy. It's kind of silly really. I don't want to become a clone of SF, Chicago, or NYC. I'm fine with development being spread around.

Nobody is saying they want LA to be a clone of another city - that would be impossible with how far inland DTLA is and how spread out the nodes are. Those of us who understand how far behind the rest of the world LA is simply want it to be more like ::insert great city:: and less like ::insert 3rd world city:: For the betterment of everybody.

XAVIERinSF
Dec 17, 2013, 7:09 AM
The stupidity of this amateur photographer is amusing.

There is something appealing about LA that other cities cannot come close to in comparison. As a resident of SF, I'm looking forward to coming home for the holidays. If I disliked SF, I wouldn't live here. If I disliked LA, I wouldn't go back. Is this hard for people to understand?

If you don't like LA...LEAVE! 'Cause trust me, nobody cares about what these losers think (this is the laughable part about this)..I can see them bouncing back and forth stomping their feet like silly school children: "I hate LA...I hate LA"

caligrad
Dec 17, 2013, 7:19 AM
Nobody is saying they want LA to be a clone of another city - that would be impossible with how far inland DTLA is and how spread out the nodes are. Those of us who understand how far behind the rest of the world LA is simply want it to be more like ::insert great city:: and less like ::insert 3rd world city:: For the betterment of everybody.

Not trying to start an argument, nor am I trying to start a debate or skyscraperpage war/beef, just trying to get your perspective without any sarcasm attached. I hear people compare L.A. to "3rd world cities" all the time, and its kind of annoying to see it on all the L.A. threads including the WG thread....so why do u feel at some times L.A. is more like a third world city ? ..............now since I actually have something to talk /ask about in regards to the thread we are actually on since I believe most of you guys have forgotten........ QUESTION ABOUT THE METRO ! has anyone else ever looked at an aerial view of century city using google maps, or is it just me :nerd:, but my question is.... there aren't many empty lots in THAT area anymore.... especially when u pencil in the proposals and construction happening there.... so do you guys think development will get pushed back to downtown even more or will developers start developing mid Wilshire more and other nodes of the city... if you think about it... it looks like Hollywood is on fire right now just because of that reason... century city is built up already and surrounded by houses on most sides, a golf course on one side and a high school and more houses on the other.... now what ? it may be a totally random/stupid question.... but anything is better than the constant arguing and bickering between some of you guys about the same thing over and over again:brickwall:

sofresh808
Dec 17, 2013, 2:32 PM
This "Love it or Leave it" was the same stance the neo-cons took in the Bush years, that made any criticism un-American and got us the Patriot Act and the Iraq War. Criticism can be constructive, and wanting something/someone to transform into something better is actually a way of showing your love and appreciation of their abilities and potential.

Having more people be critical and demand improvements in transportation, the LAUSD, infill developments will lead to more well-thought out strategies to address the concerns and problems that exist. It will get more people to feel invested and connected to city, and actually come out and take part in civic affairs.

ConstructDTLA
Dec 17, 2013, 3:10 PM

There is something appealing about LA that other cities cannot come close to in comparison. As a resident of SF, I'm looking forward to coming home for the holidays. If I disliked SF, I wouldn't live here. If I disliked LA, I wouldn't go back. Is this hard for people to understand?

If you don't like LA...LEAVE! 'Cause trust me, nobody cares about what these losers think (this is the laughable part about this)..I can see them bouncing back and forth stomping their feet like silly school children: "I hate LA...I hate LA"

Anyone upset with bickering should take a look at XavierinSF's posts. His account was made for the sole reason of hating on people smarter than him whom he doesn't agree with. Unbelievable to me that the account isn't banned yet.

ChelseaFC
Dec 17, 2013, 4:14 PM
I think LA is pretty great already, and can get even greater. It sounds like a lot of people just want downtown LA to look like Chicago. Which inherently would make it a "clone" of that city. I'm all for making downtown more lively, but that's not going to affect whether I consider it to be a world-class city or not. And since this is the METRO thread, and not the downtown thread, based on my experience with greater Chicago, New York, Boston, Dallas, and Washington, I have to say that LA is doing just fine.

brudy
Dec 17, 2013, 5:14 PM

Ever the cry of the small minded - "If you don't like the way I think then leave." Especially coming from a guy who left.

Valyrian Steel
Dec 17, 2013, 7:03 PM
Both sides should probably relax. To some of you who rag on LA, it wouldn't kill you to tone down the hyperbole. And others need to stop being so offended over any criticism. Multiple rail lines are under construction right now because people wanted change. Los Angeles is a great city, but that doesn't mean there's no room for improvement.

ChelseaFC
Dec 17, 2013, 8:17 PM
Both sides should probably relax. To some of you who rag on LA, it wouldn't kill you to tone down the hyperbole. And others need to stop being so offended over any criticism. Multiple rail lines are under construction right now because people wanted change. Los Angeles is a great city, but that doesn't mean there's no room for improvement.

I’m no sunshine pumper, but I certainly don’t dislike LA (that’s why I came back after college and still live here). And never has anyone said that LA doesn't have any room for improvement, that's a complete straw man put forward by people who don't appreciate when others push back against their incessant negativity.

It’s not so much being offended, as it is just tiresome, rehashing the same BS all the time. As if we haven’t heard the same complaints for hundreds of pages now. Basically these people won’t shut up until every cracked sidewalk is repaved.

DistrictDirt
Dec 17, 2013, 8:32 PM
I’m no sunshine pumper, but I certainly don’t dislike LA (that’s why I came back after college and still live here). And never has anyone said that LA doesn't have any room for improvement, that's a complete straw man put forward by people who don't appreciate when others push back against their incessant negativity.

It’s not so much being offended, as it is just tiresome, rehashing the same BS all the time. As if we haven’t heard the same complaints for hundreds of pages now. Basically these people won’t shut up until every cracked sidewalk is repaved.

Its not what you say, its how you say it. I never had a problem with EdLuva pointing out the areas where LA could use some improvement. But his presentation is always hyperbolic, critical of LA residents (not just the built environment) and egotistical.

There's a big difference in saying:

LA really needs to get past these cheap, 7-story stucco buildings.

and

The reason LA is and always will be a dump is because residents are too stupid and not well-traveled enough to know that 7-story stucco buildings are crap.

The first is observational, the 2nd is inflammatory and judgmental.

StethJeff
Dec 17, 2013, 9:50 PM
Not trying to start an argument, nor am I trying to start a debate or skyscraperpage war/beef, just trying to get your perspective without any sarcasm attached. I hear people compare L.A. to "3rd world cities" all the time, and its kind of annoying to see it on all the L.A. threads including the WG thread....so why do u feel at some times L.A. is more like a third world city ? ..............now since I actually have something to talk /ask about in regards to the thread we are actually on since I believe most of you guys have forgotten........ QUESTION ABOUT THE METRO ! has anyone else ever looked at an aerial view of century city using google maps, or is it just me :nerd:, but my question is.... there aren't many empty lots in THAT area anymore.... especially when u pencil in the proposals and construction happening there.... so do you guys think development will get pushed back to downtown even more or will developers start developing mid Wilshire more and other nodes of the city... if you think about it... it looks like Hollywood is on fire right now just because of that reason... century city is built up already and surrounded by houses on most sides, a golf course on one side and a high school and more houses on the other.... now what ? it may be a totally random/stupid question.... but anything is better than the constant arguing and bickering between some of you guys about the same thing over and over again:brickwall:

ummm . . . what? :uhh:

The Illusive Man
Dec 17, 2013, 10:44 PM
Its not what you say, its how you say it. I never had a problem with EdLuva pointing out the areas where LA could use some improvement. But his presentation is always hyperbolic, critical of LA residents (not just the built environment) and egotistical.

There's a big difference in saying:

LA really needs to get past these cheap, 7-story stucco buildings.

and

The reason LA is and always will be a dump is because residents are too stupid and not well-traveled enough to know that 7-story stucco buildings are crap.

The first is observational, the 2nd is inflammatory and judgmental.

This post is perfect. This exactly what I mean. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being critical of projects and not liking every project. Projects should be looked at critically. Some of these people take it too far though. They get frustrated and take it out on the people that love the city by trying to put us down with their constant negativity and back-handed comments. That's a line that shouldn't be crossed. They use that second example more frequently than the first one.

Muji
Dec 18, 2013, 12:03 AM
We haven't seen the Vermont here for a little bit, so I thought I'd show some progress they've made on the podium. It looks like most of the bottom 3 floors facing Wilshire Boulevard will get some glass, and some decorative panels are going up on the floors above that. The picture is from a couple of days ago.

http://urbandiachrony.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/img_2123-e1387324688952.jpg

LosAngelesSportsFan
Dec 18, 2013, 12:44 AM
If they cover that podium, it will dramatically improve this project. lets hope the glass keeps on climbing up. thanks for the update

Illithid Dude
Dec 18, 2013, 1:01 AM
Wow, I actually really like the glass they used. Not a terrible filler project for a developing part of Wilshire.

StethJeff
Dec 18, 2013, 3:36 AM
Add me to the list. Dramatic improvement over the bare podium. As long as podiums don't stick out completely and can be blended into the project, they aren't such a bad thing.

citywatch
Dec 18, 2013, 4:01 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being critical of projects and not liking every project. Projects should be looked at critically. Some of these people take it too far though. They get frustrated and take it out on the people that love the city by trying to put us down with their constant negativity and back-handed comments.

I rarely post in this thread since my curiosity about new devlpt in LA tends to peter out the further removed it is from dtla....although I still consider nice devlpt throughout LA to be interesting & important.

What is fascinating to me is how a particular forumer....who shall go unnamed....& who I consider the essence of a troll, & who once personal messaged me a weirdly snotty comment....should be so happy bashing LA & its ppl & then turn around & react with such indignation towards some of my comments about the city. Comments, btw, that I think reflect the opinions of far more ppl than not....of the typical, average person, who either lives in LA or is visiting it....& not just fanboys & fangirls of obscure urban concepts or vague or overly generalized ideas on urbanism, or highrise devlpt.

I figure when I create resentment in anti LA trolls, or their defenders, I must be on the right track.

IMBY
Dec 19, 2013, 4:59 AM
We haven't seen the Vermont here for a little bit, so I thought I'd show some progress they've made on the podium. It looks like most of the bottom 3 floors facing Wilshire Boulevard will get some glass, and some decorative panels are going up on the floors above that. The picture is from a couple of days ago.

http://urbandiachrony.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/img_2123-e1387324688952.jpg

I'm dumbstruck as to why they didn't add balconies to this building! Given the climate in L.A., I'd demand a balcony, to eat some meals, read a book, watch a sunset, or even sleep out there at night!:tup:

bobbyv
Dec 19, 2013, 5:15 AM
I'm dumbstruck as to why they didn't add balconies to this building! Given the climate in L.A., I'd demand a balcony, to eat some meals, read a book, watch a sunset, or even sleep out there at night!:tup:

Nah that would be too Miamish:yuck:

112597jorge
Dec 19, 2013, 11:54 PM
Nah that would be too Miamish:yuck:

not really, there are many buildings in LA with balconies. I dont mind if/ or if it didnt have balconies both would fir well in LA, but mostly balconies and towers go on the beach cities and westside.

Quixote
Dec 20, 2013, 5:42 AM
+1, City of Los Angeles :cheers:

City makes a move to buy Taylor Yard riverfront parcel

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-58k7hk5h-80/UrM2PSSPypI/AAAAAAAAr94/PjrOWqKZOok/s618/ParcelG2.jpg

By Tony Cella
December 19, 2013

The City Council has moved to begin negotiations to buy more than 40 acres of the former Taylor Yard rail yard on the border of Cypress Park and Glassell Park and turn the contaminated land into public green space and restored wetlands along the L.A. River.

City staff has been directed to “immediately enter” into negotiations with Union Pacific Railroad Company to purchase what is known as Taylor Yard parcel G2, a 42-acre wedge of riverfront that sits between the L.A. River and Rio de Los Angeles State Park. The city has been interested in purchasing the property, which has been described as a “crown jewel” of riverfront properties, for more than a decade.

“The site is ideal for the development of a vast wetlands/water cleansing landscape and public green space in an area of the city with limited open space,” according to the motion by Councilman Gil Cedillo. “If the Taylor Yard G2 parcel is acquired, it will be the region’s premiere urban ecosystem, greenspace-supporting riparian habitat, diverse native vegetation and abundant wildlife.”

The motion was approved by the City council but how much is this going to cost? Cedillo declined to comment for this story but at one point about $25 million in Prop. 0 funds - used to for clean-water projects – had been budgeted for the project. A spokesman for councilmember Mitch O’Farrell said that the price of the parcel is not known.

The negotiations to buy the property were given the green light as city and other local leaders lobby for a $1 billion plan to restore the L.A. River.

http://www.theeastsiderla.com/2013/12/city-makes-a-move-to-buy-taylor-yard-riverfront-parcel/

Quixote
Dec 20, 2013, 6:50 AM
Thought this was worth posting... Emerson College and Sunset Gordon in the same photo (taken about a month ago), along with the Technicolor Building that opened 5 years ago. Hollywood is changing for the better. And as much as I love Arby's (along with In-N-Out, the only fast food I eat), its days are hopefully limited.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5512/11197285073_fc303b9498_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23161425@N08/11197285073/sizes/l/

Close-up view and its impact at street level...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3796/11197258173_b73bafd3da_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23161425@N08/11197258173/sizes/l/

Quixote
Dec 20, 2013, 7:20 AM
Sunset Gordon, taken 2 months ago (yeah, I know). I remember being very underwhelmed with the facade. Perhaps it was the lighting? It looks pretty good here on a bright, sunny day.

And I must say that I'm bitterly disappointed in the decision to demolish the vestige of the Old Spaghetti Factory. It was integrated beautifully into the design, based on what I saw from the renderings. Oh well.

http://anotherperfectday.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG_0512.jpg
http://anotherperfectday.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG_0512.jpg

blackcat23
Dec 20, 2013, 4:14 PM
Sunset Gordon's facade looks quite a bit different than the renderings, put perhaps other elements will be added on later. I believed they're required to recreate the Old Spaghetti Factory facade on the ground floor of the new building, since the original structure was too decayed to save.

The nondescript buildings/Arby's to the east of Emerson are probably toast in the near to mid term future. Hudson Pacific Properties also wants to build an office building (http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.com/2013/09/new-17-story-office-building-for-sunset.html) on the parking lot next to the Sunset Gordon tower, seen in first black and white pic.

Munchitup
Dec 20, 2013, 6:07 PM
Sunset Gordon's facade looks quite a bit different than the renderings, put perhaps other elements will be added on later. I believed they're required to recreate the Old Spaghetti Factory facade on the ground floor of the new building, since the original structure was too decayed to save.

The nondescript buildings/Arby's to the east of Emerson are probably toast in the near to mid term future. Hudson Pacific Properties also wants to build an office building (http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.com/2013/09/new-17-story-office-building-for-sunset.html) on the parking lot next to the Sunset Gordon tower, seen in first black and white pic.

Yes I seem to remember the Old Spaghetti Factory was too far gone to use. Quixote those are some great shots of that stretch of Sunset. I think the Emerson Campus may be my favorite new development in the city. It's very striking in person, though your photos do great justice.

inSaeculaSaeculorum
Dec 20, 2013, 7:23 PM
i was conceived at that arby's, it will be sad to see it go

Quixote
Dec 20, 2013, 8:27 PM
i was conceived at that arby's, it will be sad to see it go

That explains everything! :haha:

Quixote
Dec 20, 2013, 8:35 PM
If they cover that podium, it will dramatically improve this project. lets hope the glass keeps on climbing up. thanks for the update

This rendering (and it looks a lot like the current product) clearly shows that part of the podium will be left exposed:

http://i.imgur.com/14gcqbA.jpg?1

inSaeculaSaeculorum
Dec 20, 2013, 11:31 PM
This rendering (and it looks a lot like the current product) clearly shows that part of the podium will be left exposed:

not necessarily. they're putting some white iron fencing on the top 3 levels of the parking podium right now. still ugly but not totally exposed. I don't understand why they just don't put some nice paneling that blends in

the towers are beautiful, the glass looked great on thursday when the storm clouds left a spectacular sunset.

Quixote
Dec 20, 2013, 11:43 PM
^ I see some of that so-called "iron fencing" in this rendering and the podium is still very conspicuous. Are they really so cheap that they can't simply cover 3 more decks with the same glass?

http://visitkoreatown.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/vermont_wilshire_aerial-horiz_crop.jpg
http://visitkoreatown.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/vermont_wilshire_aerial-horiz_crop.jpg

Leo the Dog
Dec 21, 2013, 4:29 PM
Maybe it's open to diffuse carbon monoxide from cars or to keep the garage at a reasonable temp?

Wilcal
Dec 21, 2013, 5:13 PM
Maybe it's open to diffuse carbon monoxide from cars or to keep the garage at a reasonable temp?

All of these renderings and comments create interesting questions. Is there some sort of city building restriction which forbids the complete enclosure of a parking podium (e.g. hazardous fumes)? Are they supposed to be ventilated? Anyone know? I forgot the name of the design firm (Johnson Fain? Jerde Partnership?,) but I had the impression that they were pretty good. But then why the oddness of the podium? So far, any design work on the podium seems to clash with the intricate facade; why not just blend the damned things in and get finished, already? Too bad.

mdiederi
Dec 21, 2013, 6:05 PM

But what about projects that have underground parking, what do they do?

Muji
Dec 21, 2013, 6:08 PM
Here's a picture from yesterday showing the work starting at Vine and Selma. The Sunset Gordon tower is also visible in the distance.

http://urbandiachrony.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/img_2134-e1387649008581.jpg

Leo the Dog
Dec 21, 2013, 7:35 PM

Good point. I'm sure they have huge fans to pump in fresh air. If the garage is underground then climate control isn't an issue. If it's above ground and wrapped in glass then I'd imagine temps would soar not only from sunlight but hot engines.

My apartment sits atop a two story garage with openings to the outside. There are carbon monoxide monitoring stations located throughout the garage even with the openings.

colemonkee
Dec 21, 2013, 9:47 PM
Enclosed parking garages, whether above or under ground, require pretty expensive ventilation and circulation systems to mitigate exposure to carbon monoxide from car exhaust. In the case of the Wilshire, the developers probably did the math on having a complete glass enclosure and a more expensive ventilation system on the garage portion, and opted for a more open design instead. It's a pity, because they easily could have made a partially covered glass enclosure that mimicked the fenestration pattern of the tower, with every other panel open air, and it would have looked a lot better and likely wouldn't have resulted in a more robust ventilation system. But I would wager that that would still add several million dollars to the cost of the project in materials and labor, so they took it out of the design from the get-go.

Sunset & Gordon looks pretty awfully value-engineered. Whoever thought those iron balcony railings would make a decent replacement within this design aesthetic should have their AIA membership revoked immediately. And be locked in a cell with the majority of TCA's design architects.

Wilcal
Dec 22, 2013, 4:42 AM

Deleted

Wilcal
Dec 22, 2013, 4:46 AM
Enclosed parking garages, whether above or under ground, require pretty expensive ventilation and circulation systems to mitigate exposure to carbon monoxide from car exhaust. In the case of the Wilshire, the developers probably did the math on having a complete glass enclosure and a more expensive ventilation system on the garage portion, and opted for a more open design instead. It's a pity, because they easily could have made a partially covered glass enclosure that mimicked the fenestration pattern of the tower, with every other panel open air, and it would have looked a lot better and likely wouldn't have resulted in a more robust ventilation system. But I would wager that that would still add several million dollars to the cost of the project in materials and labor, so they took it out of the design from the get-go.

Sunset & Gordon looks pretty awfully value-engineered. Whoever thought those iron balcony railings would make a decent replacement within this design aesthetic should have their AIA membership revoked immediately. And be locked in a cell with the majority of TCA's design architects.

Let's make it more punitive and chain them together.

Quixote
Dec 23, 2013, 12:12 AM
Google Maps Satellite View shows the lot directly north of Sunset Gordon to be a pile of dirt. That project is The Gordon. Click on the link for a high-resolution image.

http://www.americancommunities.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Gordon.1-300x162.jpg
http://www.americancommunities.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Gordon.1.jpg

The design won't be winning a Pritzker Price anytime soon, but it should be a decent looking building when finished. There's a pretty good looking apartment building across the street and the beautiful Metropol is just up the block:

http://www.metropolhollywood.com/images/home/home_pic4.jpg
http://www.metropolhollywood.com/images/home/home_pic4.jpg

Now throw in Columbia Square, Palladium Towers, Millennium Hollywood, Sunset Bronson Studios, Selma and Vine, BLVD 6200, and the proposed office building next to Sunset Gordon and you have a legitimate boom!

kelbeen
Dec 23, 2013, 12:29 AM
I don't specifically take photos of development but here are some that were captured in my photos.

The "Waffle" building could be seen in the center foreground of the photo
Buildinglosangeles mentioned this structure from October:
http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.com/2013/10/breakfast-food-in-hayden-tract.html

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7418/11504921056_ab45bae720_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelifornia/11504921056/)
DSC_0639 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelifornia/11504921056/) by Kelifornia (http://www.flickr.com/people/kelifornia/), on Flickr

Spaghetti Factory Building, and on the very left you could see that an old building is going through some sort of restoration.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5483/11504774185_4dc677b7d4_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelifornia/11504774185/)
Hollywood Freeway (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelifornia/11504774185/) by Kelifornia (http://www.flickr.com/people/kelifornia/), on Flickr

6200 Hollywood:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7289/11504886934_be12fafb12_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelifornia/11504886934/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelifornia/11504886934/) by Kelifornia (http://www.flickr.com/people/kelifornia/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7451/11504866345_6b56ed5e3c_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelifornia/11504866345/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelifornia/11504866345/) by Kelifornia (http://www.flickr.com/people/kelifornia/), on Flickr

Driveway?
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2862/11504870065_d2f45fc9b2_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelifornia/11504870065/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelifornia/11504870065/) by Kelifornia (http://www.flickr.com/people/kelifornia/), on Flickr

Valyrian Steel
Dec 23, 2013, 12:47 AM
Spaghetti Factory Building, and on the very left you could see that an old building is going through some sort of restoration.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5483/11504774185_4dc677b7d4_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelifornia/11504774185/)
Hollywood Freeway (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelifornia/11504774185/) by Kelifornia (http://www.flickr.com/people/kelifornia/), on Flickr

Love this pic.

112597jorge
Dec 23, 2013, 1:01 AM
Love this pic.

me too :cheers:

Quixote
Dec 23, 2013, 7:03 AM
West Hollywood Park redesign:

http://www.wehoville.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ShowImage.jpg

http://www.wehoville.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ShowDocument.jpg

http://www.wehoville.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ShowDocument-1.jpg

http://www.wehoville.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ShowDocument-2.jpg

http://www.wehoville.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ShowDocument-3.jpg

http://www.wehoville.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ShowDocument1.jpg

http://www.wehoville.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ShowDocument3.jpg

http://www.wehoville.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ShowDocument-11.jpg

http://www.wehoville.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ShowDocument4.jpg

http://www.wehoville.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ShowDocument-12.jpg

http://www.wehoville.com/2013/12/10/design-firms-present-concepts-phase-ii-west-hollywood-park-redevelopment/

bobbyv
Dec 23, 2013, 9:35 AM
^^^looks like a Texas office park:yuck:

Quixote
Dec 23, 2013, 8:52 PM
^ I don't know what you're talking about... at all.

All three designs are viable proposals, each possessing their merits.

LWI is definitely my least favorite of the three. From what I see in the rendering, the park is elevated and rather barricaded from the sidewalk. The open, expansive grass lawn is nice.

My preference is RCH's design. While the lawn/garden space may be a tad bit (just a tad) overdone, it's still beautiful. They put much more thought into the stair design than FFP and the rooftop garden (an actual garden, not just a series of planter boxes) is a nice touch.

inSaeculaSaeculorum
Dec 23, 2013, 9:05 PM
Yeah I hope they go with RCH too. I'm loving all the greenspace in that proposal.

Quixote
Dec 23, 2013, 9:08 PM
Once again, West Hollywood sets itself apart from the rest of LA metro (even Santa Monica). It is without question the closest thing we have to true urbanism in the Southland. The big missing piece is a subway underneath Santa Monica Blvd. After that, all you'd need to do is widen some sidewalks here and paint some continental crosswalks there and you'd have a legit, quality urban 'hood.

DJM19
Dec 23, 2013, 10:24 PM
WeHo is nice but its not as good as Downtown if you are looking for true urbanism.

Quixote
Dec 23, 2013, 10:34 PM
^ DTLA is a given, so I'm inclined to exclude it. It will continue to densify, regardless of what's happening in the rest of the city. It very much exists on its own island (bounded by three freeways and the LA River).

We need more than just an urban city center in LA. Portland and Pittsburgh can get away it, but here in LA we need miles and miles of neighborhoods with solid medium-level density (3-6 stories) bounded by walkable corridors and rail stations (subway and light rail).

The place closest to matching that description is West Hollywood. It's a great model for the rest of LA metro.

And given all the activity Hollywood is seeing at the moment, it's not unreasonable to suggest that Hollywood -- specifically the area bounded by Franklin, Fountain, La Brea, and Bronson -- could become a legit urban neighborhood in 10-15 years. The transit's already there, but we need a more consistent critical mass of mid-rise and high-rise.

Santa Monica, as great as its reputation is, has a ways to go if you take a look at everything east of Lincoln. But they are getting a rail line in a few years and the city is pro-density (for the most part), so we'll see.

inSaeculaSaeculorum
Dec 23, 2013, 10:57 PM
It's probably more accurate to say WeHo does urban policy better than the rest of LA Metro, rather than saying that it is more urban.

blackcat23
Dec 29, 2013, 11:56 PM
http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.com/2013/12/k2las-last-two-buildings-under.html

K2LA update

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-j-EjLY1T4Tc/Ur9Cld9qeuI/AAAAAAAABuM/38sLrkT2nRk/s640/DSC02363.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qGJCwQbnFH8/Ur9DaruvENI/AAAAAAAABuc/I3SDLkItNJQ/s640/DSC02351.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6tKbPUQfukk/Ur9D0dfvDqI/AAAAAAAABuk/aSVKKtNY5Jc/s640/DSC02355.JPG

All three buildings now underway. The entire thing should be finished in Fall/Winter 2014.

elcoronel
Dec 30, 2013, 12:01 AM
Why can't the other buildings be white too. There's a strange fascination in this city with light brown.

Also, do these buildings have no street level retail?

Quixote
Dec 30, 2013, 12:01 AM
Pretty decent infill, but yes it's stucco. Cue the rants.

Quixote
Dec 30, 2013, 12:04 AM
Why can't the other buildings be white too. There's a strange fascination in this city with light brown.

Totally agree. And not just light brown/tan/beige, but a weird affinity for bright orange and yellow and even puke green (Glo).

A stucco building can look nice if it's white with quality windows, nice railings, and lush landscaping.

Illithid Dude
Dec 30, 2013, 12:35 AM

No street level retail because they are on a residential street. None of the buildings on that street have it.

elcoronel
Dec 30, 2013, 12:39 AM
Ah I see. It's not on a purely residential street but a residential section.

Muji
Dec 30, 2013, 2:44 AM
I can't agree more on the light vs. dark stucco problem. I find dull orange to be truly the worst offender on lots of rehabs nowadays. K2LA's design is pretty uninspired, but I would still love to see all of the vacant lots on the blocks just off of Wilshire filled up with similar buildings. I'm hoping that by next year, the new residents in K2LA and the Vermont will build up enough critical mass for some substantial new retail in the neighborhood.

Just for laughs, I'm sure we can all imagine the flame wars that would happen if K2LA made its way into the Downtown forum. :haha: