PDA

View Full Version : LOS ANGELES | METRO Project Rundown 2.0 (non-downtown)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114

Just-In-Cali
Nov 25, 2015, 10:02 PM
:PExcept Karl Marx didn't expect any light rail or bikes. All he did is some fascist, all plain concrete facades for all others around while of course, he would live the older royal limestone palaces.

I see no reason in complaining here. This is just some densifying, hence gentrifying stuff. It's no billionaire stuff like they show off in NYC, but who's a billionaire? I'm asking.

If brudy wasn't complaining, he wouldn't have anything to say on here. :P
Anyway...the project is nothing to write home about, but it is infill, which is what is needed most of all. Only after all lateral options have been filled in, will vertical ones start to really take hold. :yes:

brudy
Nov 25, 2015, 10:04 PM
Except Karl Marx didn't expect any light rail or bikes. All he did is some fascist, all plain concrete facades for all others around while of course, he would live the older royal limestone palaces.

I see no reason in complaining here. This is just some densifying, hence gentrifying stuff. It's no billionaire stuff like they show off in NYC, but who's a billionaire? I'm asking.

What are you talking about? The street is named after Marx, not built by him.

The point is huge soulless structures that don't contribute to street life. This thing on Wilshire is huge and adds nothing. You don't need billionaire housing to have decent, street-friendly design.

brudy
Nov 25, 2015, 10:05 PM
:P

If brudy wasn't complaining, he wouldn't have anything to say on here. :P
Anyway...the project is nothing to write home about, but it is infill, which is what is needed most of all. Only after all lateral options have been filled in, will vertical ones start to really take hold. :yes:

There's been plenty to like outside of downtown lately. This just isn't one of them.

King Kill 'em
Nov 25, 2015, 10:11 PM
Koreatown is LA's densest non-downtown neighborhood. If it's added density in the coming years only comes for shitboxes, that will have negative effects for development in other neighborhoods.

Just-In-Cali
Nov 25, 2015, 10:26 PM
Koreatown is LA's densest non-downtown neighborhood. If it's added density in the coming years only comes for shitboxes, that will have negative effects for development in other neighborhoods.

Except it really hasn't been. There have been sporadic "shitboxes" (a term that is as tired as the argument around them) around the city, but as we've seen, there are also very large, dense, tall projects also going up. Unfortunately, as long as there is room for both, you will get both. Eventually the only option will be bigger and denser and taller. That's my only point. :cool:

And brudy, I know you aren't always a downer on projects, but the ratio is more like 20 to 1, so to hear you don't like a project is like hearing there is traffic on the 405 at 4:30pm on a Tuesday. Its routine at this point. To those of us that have been on this forum for a while, (I'm going on 10 years now)...the progress since then has been striking. We learned patience back then, knowing we are starting from a difficult place...and now we have the luxury to question design and size, not the "anything will do" mindset we had. But we also know that not everything needs to be a monument to design for it to mean that things are moving in the right direction, whereas the people who have joined this forum recently tend to want everything yesterday.
;)

Just-In-Cali
Nov 25, 2015, 10:31 PM
Any before everyone jumps all over me, its just my thoughts on it. Brudy isn't wrong in his opinions and neither is King. I just take a different perspective. :)

King Kill 'em
Nov 26, 2015, 1:54 AM
In other news I passed by Columbia Square today. Less than 1 floor of glass left

caligrad
Nov 26, 2015, 2:13 AM
Heres my beef with these types of developments. Yes its infill. But not all infill is good infill.

I don't mind 7 story buildings in some areas like this, I honestly don't. The problem is that developers swear they are doing these (horizontal skyscrapers) because "if they go tall, The consumer will be forced to pay more".

Now if that's the case. Why is Ava little Tokyo charging almost the same amount for rents as some of their new high-rise counterparts? Why is 8th and grand on the verge of charging MORE for rents than their high-rise counterparts? I heard somewhere around 2500-4k for a studio-1-2 bedrooms because they are deemed "Luxury"?????

My point is why are these 7 story monoliths with 4 times the amount of units and 5 times the footprints of their high-rise counterparts charging the exact same amount with smaller units but the same amenities ?? Because these developers can care less about adding to the urban fabric of LA, they can care less about the long term affects of these 7 story buildings, All they see is quick and easy money at the expense of prospective tenants who don't do their research before signing the lease papers.

As Brudy said, these large lots need to be broken up because as of right now, they are just taking advantage of a little loophole. "giant lot, smaller units, cram more people in them, add some ground floor retail to charge even more rents and charge ridiculous amounts of rents to tenants for even having the luxury of ground floor retial"

RaymondChandlerLives
Nov 26, 2015, 2:57 AM
My main issue with 3670 Wilshire is the architecture--it's painfully dull and tacky. Not as bad as Wilshire/La Brea or 6th & Bixel, but it's up there.

The project will add 500+ residents to the neighborhood and thousands of square feet of front-facing retail, so it's not a total loss. We're talking about a large patch of dirt that's been sitting there for years and years.

But yeah, the architecture. Absolutely dreadful.

NativeOrange
Nov 26, 2015, 3:16 AM
In other news I passed by Columbia Square today. Less than 1 floor of glass left

No picture? :)

brudy
Nov 26, 2015, 3:17 AM
Except it really hasn't been. There have been sporadic "shitboxes" (a term that is as tired as the argument around them) around the city, but as we've seen, there are also very large, dense, tall projects also going up. Unfortunately, as long as there is room for both, you will get both. Eventually the only option will be bigger and denser and taller. That's my only point. :cool:

And brudy, I know you aren't always a downer on projects, but the ratio is more like 20 to 1, so to hear you don't like a project is like hearing there is traffic on the 405 at 4:30pm on a Tuesday. Its routine at this point. To those of us that have been on this forum for a while, (I'm going on 10 years now)...the progress since then has been striking. We learned patience back then, knowing we are starting from a difficult place...and now we have the luxury to question design and size, not the "anything will do" mindset we had. But we also know that not everything needs to be a monument to design for it to mean that things are moving in the right direction, whereas the people who have joined this forum recently tend to want everything yesterday.
;)

Probably not 20 to 1, but seriously so many of these projects are just bad. They don't deserve to be liked. Maybe they add people, but the design and scale of most of the stumpys are truly awful. These aren't shirts you can just throw away when they go out of style - we're stuck with these things for decades. And you get enough of them and it defines the urban fabric of what our city is about. While I can see some of the positives, I would never cheer on this garbage that drags LA into the architectural and street life gutter.

King Kill 'em
Nov 26, 2015, 4:36 AM
No picture? :)

sadly no

NSMP
Nov 26, 2015, 8:23 AM
Probably not 20 to 1, but seriously so many of these projects are just bad. They don't deserve to be liked. Maybe they add people, but the design and scale of most of the stumpys are truly awful. These aren't shirts you can just throw away when they go out of style - we're stuck with these things for decades. And you get enough of them and it defines the urban fabric of what our city is about. While I can see some of the positives, I would never cheer on this garbage that drags LA into the architectural and street life gutter.

Amen. Picking on brudy's posting is bizarre, especially considering the general agreement about so many of these bad projects on this board.

Jun
Nov 27, 2015, 3:39 AM
so we went from this:http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2161/2256833920_2d28d997af_o.jpg
to this:http://urbanize.la/sites/default/files/styles/1140w/public/field/image/3670wilshire.JPG?itok=yNRvkhv_

what a waste. reminds me of the bastardization of eighth and grand.

Jaycruz
Nov 27, 2015, 4:10 AM
^^ Yes it really is sad. Thankfully most of these huge lots are gone, hopefully we get denser development now

blackcat23
Nov 27, 2015, 3:14 PM
http://urbanize.la/post/more-multifamily-underway-near-culver-city

Seven-story, 86-unit apartment building breaks ground in Palms, right outside of Downtown Culver City. Developer is California Landmark Group, architecture by Rios Clementi Hale Studios.

http://urbanize.la/sites/default/files/styles/1140wb/public/field/image/20151121_095958.jpg?itok=lHbYWaPZ

http://urbanize.la/sites/default/files/styles/1140w/public/field/image/dunnapartments_0.JPG?itok=eoKjOCHA

Quixote
Nov 27, 2015, 7:16 PM
Another big F U to the sidewalk.

Illithid Dude
Nov 27, 2015, 7:41 PM
Another big F U to the sidewalk.

Eh, it's on a small residential side street, sidewalk integration doesn't strike me as being super important. Obviously I would rather it be better than what it is now, but it's not incredibly detrimental to the area.

Just-In-Cali
Nov 28, 2015, 6:45 AM
Amen. Picking on brudy's posting is bizarre, especially considering the general agreement about so many of these bad projects on this board.

Wow, so having a different opinion is now picking on someone. Got it. :rolleyes:
He has his take on development, which is, by example, mostly the "glass half empty" way of thinking about LA. Sorry if you don't like hearing it. :shrug:
Brudy himself can probably admit to this. That's fine. I just choose not to turn every low profile project that isn't a work of art into a catastrophe. But picking on someone? Really? :uhh:

brudy
Nov 28, 2015, 4:37 PM
Wow, so having a different opinion is now picking on someone. Got it. :rolleyes:
He has his take on development, which is, by example, mostly the "glass half empty" way of thinking about LA. Sorry if you don't like hearing it. :shrug:
Brudy himself can probably admit to this. That's fine. I just choose not to turn every low profile project that isn't a work of art into a catastrophe. But picking on someone? Really? :uhh:

No, my view is not a half-empty one. My view is a basic expectation that LA develop like the second largest city in the country that it is - to become a human friendly place to live and work and get about. Accepting and acquiescing to these very sub optimal designs is to say "Hey, I don't think my city deserves the best." You can have that view, but however long you've been on this forum you haven't apparently learned much about urban planning. Is LA better than it was? Sure, in most ways. But it's also not maximizing its potential, which is all I want.

It's not about being negative or whatever you think I think about it. It's about wanting LA to be the best it can be. If that means not liking every (or even any) shitbox of terrible design that gets dropped on us, so be it. It's the people who think OK is good enough that screws the city over.

NSMP
Nov 28, 2015, 8:16 PM

Picking on as in calling out his opinion specifically out of the number of people saying the same thing. Move on

NSMP
Nov 30, 2015, 12:57 AM
Hamburg out of the Olympic race in the face of declining public support. (http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-hamburg-withdraws-olympic-bid-20151129-story.html) Paris truly has bigger fish to fry at the moment, which of course doesn't mean things can't change before 2017. But Los Angeles remains a very safe pick for the IOC.

caligrad
Nov 30, 2015, 2:43 AM
^^^ I think the attacks might actually work in Paris favor. "A world united in the face of terror". Might be a way to show the terrorists that Paris is strong and etc. and how the world has France back. What better way to do that than to give Paris the summer Olympics.

King Kill 'em
Nov 30, 2015, 4:19 AM
^But they still won't announce it for two more years

cesar90
Nov 30, 2015, 6:53 AM
10000 Santa Monica from 14 miles away

LAiBaC1r1jw

blackcat23
Nov 30, 2015, 3:41 PM
http://urbanize.la/post/first-glimpse-6220-west-yucca-project

First renderings for 6220 Yucca Street

http://urbanize.la/sites/default/files/styles/1140w/public/field/image/6220yucca1_0.JPG?itok=w5dslWDW

NSMP
Nov 30, 2015, 4:28 PM
Thanks for the informative post blackcat. I like the project for the location. I'm hoping that the increased investment on yucca might lead to some improvements to the ped landscape between hollywood and Franklin. Fingers crossed anyway

retina
Nov 30, 2015, 7:18 PM
I am very impressed by the tenacity of the various developers looking to build tall in Hollywood. Despite the NIMBYism and lawsuits that will inevitably follow, perhaps if they overwhelm Silverstein he just won't be able to keep up. This uprising needs to be squashed immediately if this city wants to thrive and reap the benefits of our growing taxpayer funded public transit system. I hope the political will is there.

King Kill 'em
Nov 30, 2015, 11:44 PM
Here's an idea that might actually calm some of the nimbys on this project. The vacant lot next to the site has a lot of tress right? It can easily be turned into a park with a few adjustments. And Hollywood is severly lacking in greenspace no? The developer should buy it and tell Silverstien and the nimbys that they'll make it a public park if they allow them to build their highrise next door.

blackcat23
Dec 1, 2015, 3:53 PM
http://urbanize.la/post/waldorf-astoria-takes-form-beverly-hills

Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills, with a guest appearance by 10000 Santa Monica Boulevard.

http://urbanize.la/sites/default/files/styles/1140wb/public/field/image/20151122_120940.jpg?itok=n7fdLpHD

http://urbanize.la/sites/default/files/styles/1140w/public/field/image/waldorf%20astoria.jpg?itok=v8ogcvMb

hughfb3
Dec 1, 2015, 4:18 PM
Here's an idea that might actually calm some of the nimbys on this project. The vacant lot next to the site has a lot of tress right? It can easily be turned into a park with a few adjustments. And Hollywood is severly lacking in greenspace no? The developer should buy it and tell Silverstien and the nimbys that they'll make it a public park if they allow them to build their highrise next door.

"These people don't care about parks; nor do they really care about the betterment of the community. They are there to stop and extort any large development and developer with money by pleading the status quo all the while not giving any vision on what they feel Hollywood should grow into." That's my mad reaction to the nimbys. At the end of the day though, CIM gave the neighborhood a brand new park attached to the sunset Gordon tower. It's now an empty newly completed high rise and park closed to the community.

In my opinion, what we get to do as a community in Hollywood is figure out how we get to enroll the maximum number of people into the vision for Hollywood stated in the community plan or make a new one; ergo, align the "nimbys" with it or figure something else out. Democracy only works if EVERYONE is involved. It's times like these when a huge majority of people are not voting and being involved that we have loud obnoxious people peppering the government and it can't get things done... And all of hollywoods developments stall and people choose not to invest here and life gets really shi**y

Good news though; The Waldorf looks great and the hotel across the street from this yucca project has its crane being constructed now. This building will be right on the freeway

King Kill 'em
Dec 2, 2015, 12:37 AM
"These people don't care about parks; nor do they really care about the betterment of the community. They are there to stop and extort any large development and developer with money by pleading the status quo all the while not giving any vision on what they feel Hollywood should grow into." That's my mad reaction to the nimbys. At the end of the day though, CIM gave the neighborhood a brand new park attached to the sunset Gordon tower. It's now an empty newly completed high rise and park closed to the community.

In my opinion, what we get to do as a community in Hollywood is figure out how we get to enroll the maximum number of people into the vision for Hollywood stated in the community plan or make a new one; ergo, align the "nimbys" with it or figure something else out. Democracy only works if EVERYONE is involved. It's times like these when a huge majority of people are not voting and being involved that we have loud obnoxious people peppering the government and it can't get things done... And all of hollywoods developments stall and people choose not to invest here and life gets really shi**y

If they don't want a new park, then they can't say they care about their community. Hollywood is probably the most park poor neighborhood in the city. It's been reccomended before that there is 6 acres of open space for every 1000 residents. Do you know how much Hollywood has per 1000 residents? Something like .03 acres. Now 6 acres/1000 is a bit idealistic and I doubt cities
like New York even hit that but the amount Hollywood has is just sad.

If we use this argument against them they'll counter saying new projects will just worsen the ratio. Sometimes true, but don't you think working to raise that ratio by adding more open space instead of working to keep it the same by not letting any one else move in is more productive?

In concluscion we need that Hollywood Freeway Cap Park.

IMBY
Dec 2, 2015, 8:54 AM
As my mom always said, gag a maggot.

Let's hope some paint ball artists take pity on this building some night, and squirt away. Some of these squirt guns can hit targets 50 feet away!:tup:

IMBY
Dec 2, 2015, 9:02 AM
Reading their fragile arguments is a mind bending experience. People want to maintain current zoning so they don't have to drive through construction? What the hell is wrong with people? How stupid, self-centered, and ultimately self-defeating can they be?

This Nimby madness maddens me, but, at the same time, I would more love to see downtown L.A. densify as much as possible, and if this developer says Screw it, I'll just build it downtown, then? A victory for DTLA! With L.A.'s housing shortage, let's just build it! Somewhere!

blackcat23
Dec 2, 2015, 3:46 PM
http://urbanize.la/post/senior-housing-complex-nearing-completion

Progress on the Fountainview at Gonda Westside, 199 senior housing units in Playa Vista from the Los Angeles Jewish Home. Designed by Gensler.

http://urbanize.la/sites/default/files/styles/1140wb/public/field/image/20151128_161737.jpg?itok=LjJBrSzx

http://urbanize.la/sites/default/files/styles/1140w/public/field/image/26-1200x750.jpg?itok=M3O9SXVr

LAsam
Dec 2, 2015, 5:47 PM
^ I've been driving past that senior housing complex on Jefferson quite often. It appears to be of a higher quality than the new rental buildings surrounding it in terms of design and build materials.

King Kill 'em
Dec 2, 2015, 10:59 PM
It also has fantastic greenery.

Busy Bee
Dec 2, 2015, 11:30 PM
^ I've been driving past that senior housing complex on Jefferson quite often. It appears to be of a higher quality than the new rental buildings surrounding it in terms of design and build materials.

Most things by Gensler seem to be top notch, albeit sometimes a tad dull.

King Kill 'em
Dec 2, 2015, 11:39 PM
Gensler either hits it out of the park or fails miserably with their designs.

blackcat23
Dec 3, 2015, 2:47 PM
http://urbanize.la/post/residential-retail-complex-rising-hollywood-and-western

5550 Hollywood Boulevard (Wood Partners, PSL Architects): 280 apartments, 12,600 square feet of ground-floor retail space.

http://urbanize.la/sites/default/files/styles/1140wb/public/field/image/20151128_112140.jpg?itok=017g1Ja-

http://urbanize.la/sites/default/files/styles/1140w/public/field/image/5550hollywood.jpg?itok=zrI_qlmZ

Steve8263
Dec 3, 2015, 3:12 PM
Is this the project formerly with the awful "High Line West" or something name? Hopefully that is long gone.

Wally West
Dec 3, 2015, 6:47 PM
Is this the project formerly with the awful "High Line West" or something name? Hopefully that is long gone.

The name is long gone. They replaced that corny name with "5550 Hollywood Boulevard".

King Kill 'em
Dec 3, 2015, 11:52 PM
Hopefully that is long gone.

Unrelated but that reminded me of this.
n2ObA7vCLS0

sopas ej
Dec 4, 2015, 8:50 PM
The Petersen Automotive Museum reopens December 7.

From Time Out Los Angeles:

The redesigned Petersen is a car museum actually worth visiting (http://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/blog/the-redesigned-petersen-is-a-car-museum-actually-worth-visiting-120315)

https://media.timeout.com/images/102986235/617/347/image.jpg

http://media.timeout.com/images/102986234/image.jpg

retina
Dec 4, 2015, 11:02 PM
The Petersen Automotive Museum reopens December 7.

From Time Out Los Angeles:

The redesigned Petersen is a car museum actually worth visiting (http://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/blog/the-redesigned-petersen-is-a-car-museum-actually-worth-visiting-120315)

It looks interesting and I will definitely visit. However, I have a hard time worshiping one of man's most destructive inventions. Thankfully, our love affair is quickly coming to an end.

saybanana
Dec 5, 2015, 12:03 AM
Some construction picture updates mostly in Hollywood.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5829/22889068563_8f84b8f4f0_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ASCsDa)The Camden (https://flic.kr/p/ASCsDa)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/725/22896362833_acd2645184_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ATgQYr)The Camden (https://flic.kr/p/ATgQYr)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/718/22895210364_fa222202d5_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ATaWoh)The Camden (https://flic.kr/p/ATaWoh)

Columbia Square

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/659/22895186044_5509ca79ee_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ATaP9Y)Columbia Square (https://flic.kr/p/ATaP9Y)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/634/23414968682_eaa586ed34_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/BF6QqA)Columbia Square (https://flic.kr/p/BF6QqA)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5817/22887894594_6e0595e7fc_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ASwrEj)Columbia Square (https://flic.kr/p/ASwrEj)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5810/23414970412_6b21f91194_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/BF6QWq)Columbia Square (https://flic.kr/p/BF6QWq)

saybanana
Dec 5, 2015, 12:09 AM
Icon at Sunset Bronson Studios

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5725/23441042681_f69ea47534_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/BHptji)Icon at Sunset Bronson Studios (https://flic.kr/p/BHptji)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5764/23414936342_3bab1e5470_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/BF6EP1)Icon at Sunset Bronson Studios (https://flic.kr/p/BF6EP1)

Metropolitan West Apartments - Across from Icon

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/676/22887892304_8be4c44d09_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ASwqYQ)Metropolitan West Apartments (https://flic.kr/p/ASwqYQ)

The Dream Hotel

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/744/23440998371_4dd395de56_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/BHpf9k)The Dream Hotel (https://flic.kr/p/BHpf9k)

Metro Universal/Studio City Station Pedestrian Bridge

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5702/23155462909_edd4f71e71_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/BhaNp8)Metro Universal City Station Bridge (https://flic.kr/p/BhaNp8)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/621/22895158524_42ef1896c7_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ATaEYu)Metro Universal Station Bridge (https://flic.kr/p/ATaEYu)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/664/23148206159_6c223d0a3a_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/BgwBdK)Metro Universal Station Bridge (https://flic.kr/p/BgwBdK)

a9l8e7n
Dec 5, 2015, 12:24 AM
Great shots @saybanana

Do you know when the predestination bridge will open to the public?
Looks to be pretty far along.

saybanana
Dec 5, 2015, 12:30 AM
No exact date but according to this Metro page it is spring 2016. So it can mean march-june 2016.
http://media.metro.net/projects_studies/capital/RedLine_UnivCity_Ped_Bridge_Factsheet.pdf

Bikemike
Dec 5, 2015, 7:17 AM
Ugh. Is it me or is it completely sad how Gensler dropped the ball with 5901 sunset ?..the sad part is that the parking podium and sub level is actually bigger than the building itself ??? I mean I get that developers have certain needs and they have to design accordingly but this is ridiculous. There will be a LOT of dead space in that building when its done.

If the Nimbys decide to fight this one, i'll be on their side.

Can it even be considered a Tower ?? when its just a massive block.

Blame these enormous parking podiums on the lack of good transit in LA. As long as "everyone" must have a car, parking policy will always remain ass backwards in LA. Even if zoning relaxed parking ratios, developers would still choose to include tons of parking. Economics ultimately wins out.

LA's economy must be able to function with mass transit (rail) as a backbone of movement. Currently it's merely a conciliatory gesture. The real NIMBYs are those who stand in the way of sound, ambitious transit and bike infrastructure expansion. Our lack of car-free mobility is behind EVERYTHING.

hughfb3
Dec 6, 2015, 8:01 PM
Very nice picture of Hollywood Saybanana!!

@caligrad. I'm not sure that fighting against the new office/parking building will result in a net positive. If anything; they would probably completely drop the office component and just build a parking garage or spend the money they had allocated for the project on a lawsuit which would end up in a cost engineered cheaper looking building. I would say fight FOR the addition of office space to surround the exterior of the garage and hide it from outside view or make sure the materials coating the garage are of extreme High quality. As a community we have to fight FOR what we want and not what we don't want. This is the only way to work with developers, otherwise they are going to fight back and nobody wins. As I've said before if developers continue to lose these "nimby" battles, we all lose because no one wants to invest in our community.

caligrad
Dec 6, 2015, 10:12 PM
Very nice picture of Hollywood Saybanana!!

@caligrad. I'm not sure that fighting against the new office/parking building will result in a net positive. If anything; they would probably completely drop the office component and just build a parking garage or spend the money they had allocated for the project on a lawsuit which would end up in a cost engineered cheaper looking building. I would say fight FOR the addition of office space to surround the exterior of the garage and hide it from outside view or make sure the materials coating the garage are of extreme High quality. As a community we have to fight FOR what we want and not what we don't want. This is the only way to work with developers, otherwise they are going to fight back and nobody wins. As I've said before if developers continue to lose these "nimby" battles, we all lose because no one wants to invest in our community.

Fighting FOR what we want is the same as fighting AGAINST what we don't want. Meaning, It will give you the same outcome because in the developers eyes your fighting against them period which will equal the same result = a different design.

They aren't going to scrub the office component all together. At the cost of parking garages alone, they wont make any money by just building a parking garage. The reason why most stand alone parking garages being built now or either attached to a larger project or have some form of office or ground floor retail attached to it. Something that wont fly in this area since its far enough away from the center of Hollywood and metro stops that most people wont use it, retail/office added on the bottom floor or not.

It is sad that Nimbys keep winning all of these battles. I hate it. I hate that nimbys are fighting the Palladium towers, target Hollywood and millennium towers, but at the same time, these developers, in cases like this, need to think smarter. They KNOW that the nimby opposition is coming with a 8-9 story parking garage, especially since its sitting next to 2-3 story apartment buildings. If they were smarter, they could atleast justify the need for all the parking if their was a residential component added or something. Because if I remember correctly, this monolith will also have sublevel parking. 10 floors of parking for a 6-8 story office building????? 3 times the parking needed.

Folks3000
Dec 6, 2015, 10:18 PM
Blame these enormous parking podiums on the lack of good transit in LA. As long as "everyone" must have a car, parking policy will always remain ass backwards in LA. Even if zoning relaxed parking ratios, developers would still choose to include tons of parking. Economics ultimately wins out.

LA's economy must be able to function with mass transit (rail) as a backbone of movement. Currently it's merely a conciliatory gesture. The real NIMBYs are those who stand in the way of sound, ambitious transit and bike infrastructure expansion. Our lack of car-free mobility is behind EVERYTHING.

This isn't necessarily true, some may build less, some may build the same. I think we should relax the parking ratios and see what the developers build, you may be surprised.

blackcat23
Dec 7, 2015, 4:18 PM
http://http://urbanize.la/post/mixed-use-development-underway-western-avenue (http://urbanize.la/post/mixed-use-development-underway-western-avenue)

Six-story building underway at 940 Western Avenue in Koreatown. 79 residential units + ground-floor retail.

http://urbanize.la/sites/default/files/styles/1140w/public/field/image/western.jpg?itok=Hvjg9AId

colemonkee
Dec 7, 2015, 5:15 PM
^ Like the density, but the design, good lord! 1986 called. It wants it's design back. I'm calling bullshit on the Hanok "inspiration" for the design, aside from some the patterns on some of the balcony railings and (presumed) stucco panels, and if those orangish protrusions are actually wood. But if you Google "hanok architecture" it becomes very clear that if someone wanted to do something hanok-inspired, you can do something far, far more aesthetically pleasing than this. I think the Hanok inspiration here is just a bullshit explanation to try and contextualize a somewhat boilerplate Type III stucco shitbox design. Really lazy on the part of Grace Partnership., or most likely 950 Western (the developer) who likely value-engineered Grace Partnership into this design. For shame!

brudy
Dec 7, 2015, 7:51 PM
Egads, that's probably a new low.

Muji
Dec 7, 2015, 9:26 PM
Well at the least very least, 940 Western has a decent scale for its location and underground parking. Hideous as it is, it doesn't quite reach the lows set at Palms and Motor (http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/03/hideous_proposal_becomes_hideous_reality_at_palms_point.php)...

Wally West
Dec 7, 2015, 10:04 PM
Well at the least very least, 940 Western has a decent scale for its location and underground parking. Hideous as it is, it doesn't quite reach the lows set at Palms and Motor (http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/03/hideous_proposal_becomes_hideous_reality_at_palms_point.php)...

Easily the worst building in the LA area. I have no idea how anyone could allow that monstrosity pass the planning stages.

sopas ej
Dec 7, 2015, 10:27 PM
^ Like the density, but the design, good lord! 1986 called.

Haha! I literally LOL'd when I read that.

Yeah, 1986 works, except for the color scheme. Add some glass bricks, some pastel colors, like mauve and pale aqua, some sago palms, imitation Nagels in the lobby, and women in shoulder pads, and it'll be set! :P

caligrad
Dec 8, 2015, 3:16 AM
Some news of out of Long Beach. Was just downtown and looks like tower 2 of "the current" is currently getting is foundation dug up. Heavy machinery was onsite and digging down deep. Tower 1 still hasn't even finished yet. They originally stated that tower 2 wouldn't start construction until tower 1 was completely finished and leasing. But I guess that's out the window.

Hopefully I was seeing things correctly, This will be Long Beach new tallest with a spire, first tower with a spire/crown in almost 100 years, i didn't know the helipad lift for downtown LA took affect all across the county as well.

colemonkee
Dec 8, 2015, 5:19 AM
That's great news for Long Beach! You'll have to keep us non-Long Beachers up to date.

And great call on Palms & Motor, Muji. I've driven by that one a few times recently and wanted to throw up on a baby every single time. I'm pretty sure that every time someone lays eyes on that building, a kitten dies somewhere.

Steve8263
Dec 8, 2015, 2:45 PM
Also out of Long Beach-

https://www.bisnow.com/los-angeles/news/other/developer-to-build-new-long-beach-civic-center-in-exchange-for-building-site-52224

http://www.presstelegram.com/article/20151107/NEWS/151109625

Developer to Build New Long Beach Civic Center in Exchange for Building Site

https://imageserver-bisnow1.netdna-ssl.com/Wd0szQ90oA_6SrkWgxqzKHTBTIk=/710x484/publisher/80629_1447175460_LB-Civic-Center-large.jpg

brudy
Dec 8, 2015, 2:52 PM

Yeah, that's true. That one is definitely one of worst. And let's not forget TCA's monument to odiousness at Wilshire and La Brea.

Maybe we need a Hall of Shame thread?

colemonkee
Dec 8, 2015, 3:24 PM
^ That would be quite the thread in LA, but YES.

caligrad
Dec 8, 2015, 3:57 PM
Yeah, that's true. That one is definitely one of worst. And let's not forget TCA's monument to odiousness at Wilshire and La Brea.

I'm all for that Brudy ! I was at a family party on Saturday and drove my mom up La Brea to that target/best buy shopping center on Santa Monica. While I was focused on the Purple line extension construction and happy to see it, my mom was focused on

"The big ugly building that looks like its empty, who made this? I could have made something better"

The words of my mom, someone who has never showed any interest in architecture and shrugged me off when I was a little kid who got excited every time I saw a construction crane. For her to notice the ridiculousness of that building says a lot.

caligrad
Dec 8, 2015, 4:45 PM
Also out of Long Beach-

https://www.bisnow.com/los-angeles/news/other/developer-to-build-new-long-beach-civic-center-in-exchange-for-building-site-52224

https://imageserver-bisnow1.netdna-ssl.com/Wd0szQ90oA_6SrkWgxqzKHTBTIk=/710x484/publisher/80629_1447175460_LB-Civic-Center-large.jpg

I've been on the fence about this project since the day it was announced. The cons out weigh the pros.

Pros :

. We are getting a new civic center, something needed since our current one is sinking and crumbling ( the foundation wasn't nearly as strong as it was suppose to be).

. The monolithic size is being broken up, it currently covers 4 city blocks and cuts off 3 streets just to house 2 buildings and a parking garage.

. Lincoln park is getting expanded since its current form is covered in overgrown trees and is currently a homeless encampment ( literally the largest in the county outside of skid row)

Cons:

. The city is pretty much being shafted. We are giving them WAY to much in exchange for all of this. They are building the new civic center for Long Beach yes, but we are giving them acres of land in the heart of downtown easily valued at a billion dollars. and in tern we are leasing the buildings for 40 years at 480 million. So basically we are paying them 1.4-6 billion for a new civic center ??????

. Our current Civic Center is iconic ( it was used in the first star trek movies and in the first remake a couple of years ago) at 14 floors. We are in exchange getting a smaller, 10 story box, with a larger footprint.

. The Density for the area is much higher than 10 floors. This civic center will be outdated in 20 years tops.

Looks like the developer is just in this for a quick/easy buck and giant plots of free land.

hughfb3
Dec 8, 2015, 4:56 PM
I'm all for that Brudy ! I was at a family party on Saturday and drove my mom up La Brea to that target/best buy shopping center on Santa Monica. While I was focused on the Purple line extension construction and happy to see it, my mom was focused on

"The big ugly building that looks like its empty, who made this? I could have made something better"

The words of my mom, someone who has never showed any interest in architecture and shrugged me off when I was a little kid who got excited every time I saw a construction crane. For her to notice the ridiculousness of that building says a lot.

Oh my gosh!!!! This is too funny!!!

But wow, I forgot about that palms project... By far the worst of anything I've seen in recent memory

citywatch
Dec 8, 2015, 7:36 PM

I rarely post in this thread but your comment made me chuckle enough (but to also go :( ) to want to insert this pic, which indicates that hall of shame....whatever its size.....will regrettably have to be fairly large.....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GmQj3LxBW7A/SffDGFeUOtI/AAAAAAAACFo/d03fh4b7PFY/s400/Lincoln+Blvd+-+21+(Small).JPG
experiencingla.com/2010/05/venice-blvd-venice-ugly.html

caligrad
Dec 8, 2015, 8:15 PM
^^^ It would actually help if you told us what we were actually looking at ? lol I don't see any poorly designed building or massive parking podiums.

I will go on to guess that this is referring to the above ground power lines and suburban looking street?

Since that stretch of Venice is actually considered suburban ( mostly 1-3 story buildings), power lines aren't a big deal. It fits the neighborhood for the time being.

Now if you were to give me a picture in the middle of a downtown district ( LA, Long Beach, Century City, Santa Monica, etc. ) THAN that would be cause for an emotional outburst on my part, and others.

Since power lines in suburban areas of the city are expected, since there isn't a need to burry them yet, I don't think its a big enough deal to be posted on the hall of shame since EVERY suburban district of Every major city in this country and across the world has power lines all over the place, especially the burbs.

People drive past these power lines everyday, including me, and I rarely even notice them... But when I do, you're right, They are UGLY. yes they are eyesores but as long as they are confined to the burbs, that's fine....Until neighborhoods start to densify.

King Kill 'em
Dec 8, 2015, 10:46 PM
Suburban areas can get away with more in terms of ugly buildings. In Burbank there are a some very ugly 4-6 story apartment buildings but I don't mind them because they increase the density of the area.

sopas ej
Dec 9, 2015, 2:19 AM
Also out of Long Beach-

I like that this plan reintroduces the street grid that was lost when the current civic center was built. Hopefully these plans pan out, and will help to further revitalize Long Beach's downtown.

caligrad
Dec 9, 2015, 2:41 AM
^^^ Me too. I love that the street grid is coming back, the old civic center was so freaking massive with lots of wasted space.

I will miss the old city hall though. Very cool design. to bad they couldn't recreate the design in a modern version.

Steve8263
Dec 9, 2015, 3:37 AM
Holy Crap!-

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20151208006767/en/

$2.5 Billion Century Plaza Development to Get Underway in March 2016

The Century Plaza Hotel development project featuring two 46-story luxury residential towers, restaurants, retail shops and a newly designed 400 room 5-star hotel will get underway in March 2016, according to Michael Rosenfeld, CEO of Woodridge Capital Partners who is leading the $2.5 billion project. The historic hotel will close its doors on March 1, 2016 and is expected to re-open in early 2018.

http://mms.businesswire.com/media/20151208006767/en/499953/5/Woodridge_SouthEastAerialOverall2_SDHR_02_FINAL.jpg?download=1

caligrad
Dec 9, 2015, 4:35 AM
^^^WHOA ! that's big news indeed. I was just wondering about these twins today. Great news. Cant wait for them to be added to the century city skyline.

Its crazy how most of the key proposed projects from the past 5-10 years are actually under construction or about to break ground......minus the obvious notorious stallers.

I wonder whats up with the 2.5 billion dollar price tag though. These 2 shouldn't cost a billion each to build with 500 million going to renovations of the old hotel......numbers aren't adding up. someone is charging high dollar to build these.

King Kill 'em
Dec 9, 2015, 4:39 AM
Century City is weird

caligrad
Dec 9, 2015, 5:00 AM
^^ LOL why is that ?

Century city is pretty awkward, especially at night. I always considered it to be what a downtown would be based on a suburban design. Meaning. No buildings that actually meet the street. lots of parking. No ground floor retail. Plazas/parks separating the buildings and breaking up the street wall affect. Not to mention the big A$$ mall that takes up 1/4 the entire district haha. Suburbia on a taller scale.

Another reason its weird is because everyone acknowledges Century City for its tall buildings and downtownish qualities, but I have never heard anyone referring to it as our "second downtown", which in some weird way it is and that's what it was designed to be. Designed to be the west sides downtown. Where the millionaires and billionaires drive in for business and drive out the short distance back to Beverly hills and surrounding rich hoods.

ChelseaFC
Dec 9, 2015, 5:34 AM
Century City isn't designed to be walkable, which everyone knows. It reminds me of a city set in the future where everyone is flying around on jetpacks and levitating vehicles.

Anyone see that Tomorrowland movie with George Clooney that came out this year? Like that.

caligrad
Dec 9, 2015, 5:44 AM
Century City isn't designed to be walkable, which everyone knows. It reminds me of a city set in the future where everyone is flying around on jetpacks and levitating vehicles.

Anyone see that Tomorrowland movie with George Clooney that came out this year? Like that.

oh well yeah. I don't anybody was arguing that lol. Century city in my eyes is literally a hybrid between Suburbia and dense downtown. a failed hybrid experiment at that. But you're so right. It does have that futuristic "flying car/ jetpack" quality to it. Wide open spaces where people can land and take off. Maybe future generations who are blessed with those 2 techs will appreciate it haha.

UserName01010
Dec 9, 2015, 5:49 AM
Le Corbusier would be very much proud of Century City.

citywatch
Dec 9, 2015, 5:50 AM
^^^ It would actually help if you told us what we were actually looking at ? lol I don't see any poorly designed building or massive parking podiums.

what do you call those unattractive squat retail bldgs on both sides of the street?! the type of commercial properties typical of what was put up all over LA back when most of us were either youngsters or, more likely, yet to be born.

As for CC, I didn't think such an ambitious proposal for highrise residential towers would get off the ground...at least by even 2016....due in part to that section of LA still having a very burban ethos. At least meaning that nimbys would create so much interference, the devlpr would give up & instead put in shorter wood framed condos.

This thread does make me realize how much of my interest in....& excitement about....new devlpt tends to droop the further away a proj is from dtla. I don't know why. It's not like I don't care about what's going on throughout LA in general. I do think it's nice making the areas around CC....& CC itself....less dormant or less boringly burban. It's important that hoods like hollywood....or the miracle mile.....be fixed up. Similarly, it's great seeing the coastal sections of Long Beach growing & maturing. But for whatever reason such parts of town are less compelling to me.....although not nearly as much as hoods even farther away....in the SF valley or OC.

If the news about the devlpr of the proj next to the century plaza hotel breaking ground in march 2016 instead was about the related cos finally....finally.....starting work on their proj on grand ave in dt, I'd be way more excited. Still, best of luck, Century city.

caligrad
Dec 9, 2015, 6:20 AM
^^^ Fix it Jesus. :( :shrug:

Citywatch I'm not trying to argue with you or anything. I actually like your point of view on some subjects.

what do you call those unattractive squat retail bldgs on both sides of the street?! the type of commercial properties typical of what was put up all over LA back when most of us were either youngsters or, more likely, yet to be born.

BUT. Those squat buildings were actually built all across the country. over time. Go to small town America and you will see these same types of buildings. Go to Texas and you will see the same types of buildings. Go to San Fran and you will see the same type of "squat" buildings in the lower peninsula and across the bay. Go to NYC, Boston, Baltimore, Chicago, Milwaukee and you will see these buildings.

Point being. They may be ugly to some. But. With a little TLC, paint, window upgrades, trees and plants, it isn't that bad. Having these "squat" buildings varying in design, and placed in suburbia where they belong, it adds to an urban feel instead of having them torn down for non distinctive/ uninspiring "squat" seven story monoliths that seems to be the trend now.

Its suburbia. I rather have blocks of 1-3 story buildings built in all periods of time rather than a Seven Story monolith that will be one singular design across an entire city block.

colemonkee
Dec 9, 2015, 3:18 PM
Great news on the Century Plaza site. Now that I'm working in CC, I'll be able to document the shit out of that one.

brudy
Dec 9, 2015, 3:59 PM
^^^ Fix it Jesus. :( :shrug:

Citywatch I'm not trying to argue with you or anything. I actually like your point of view on some subjects.

BUT. Those squat buildings were actually built all across the country. over time. Go to small town America and you will see these same types of buildings. Go to Texas and you will see the same types of buildings. Go to San Fran and you will see the same type of "squat" buildings in the lower peninsula and across the bay. Go to NYC, Boston, Baltimore, Chicago, Milwaukee and you will see these buildings.

Point being. They may be ugly to some. But. With a little TLC, paint, window upgrades, trees and plants, it isn't that bad. Having these "squat" buildings varying in design, and placed in suburbia where they belong, it adds to an urban feel instead of having them torn down for non distinctive/ uninspiring "squat" seven story monoliths that seems to be the trend now.

Its suburbia. I rather have blocks of 1-3 story buildings built in all periods of time rather than a Seven Story monolith that will be one singular design across an entire city block.

While that wouldn't solve any density problems, I agree about street feel. Bleecker St being the perfect example.

brudy
Dec 9, 2015, 4:06 PM
^^ LOL why is that ?

Century city is pretty awkward, especially at night. I always considered it to be what a downtown would be based on a suburban design. Meaning. No buildings that actually meet the street. lots of parking. No ground floor retail. Plazas/parks separating the buildings and breaking up the street wall affect. Not to mention the big A$$ mall that takes up 1/4 the entire district haha. Suburbia on a taller scale.

If you were describing Bunker Hill along Hope and Grand, I wouldn't have argued either.

BrandonJXN
Dec 9, 2015, 4:38 PM
^^ LOL why is that ?

Another reason its weird is because everyone acknowledges Century City for its tall buildings and downtownish qualities, but I have never heard anyone referring to it as our "second downtown", which in some weird way it is and that's what it was designed to be. Designed to be the west sides downtown. Where the millionaires and billionaires drive in for business and drive out the short distance back to Beverly hills and surrounding rich hoods.

Century City isn't supposed to be a secondary downtown in the traditional sense. To me, it feels like what someone from the 1960s thought that the year 2000 would look like.

But if you look at Century City from above, you'll notice that when the Century Plaza towers are built, CC will be almost totally symmetrical with the Century Plaza Hotel mirroring 2000 Ave of the Stars and the Century Plaza residential towers mirroring the Century Plaza towers across the street.

Not to mention that almost every building in CC complements each other in some way or another. CC really has a very unique skyline that is grossly unappreciated.

blackcat23
Dec 9, 2015, 4:48 PM
http://urbanize.la/post/renderings-revealed-new-sawtelle-developments

Not as big of news at what's going on in Century City, but these are renderings for two new developments in Sawtelle.

Sawtelle Terrances (1650-54 Sawtelle Blvd) - five stories, 48 residential units (4 affordable)

http://urbanize.la/sites/default/files/styles/1140w/public/field/image/sawtelle1_0.JPG?itok=ERyxZbTW

Regents Park (1854 Sawtelle Blvd) - five stories, 25 residential units, 640 sq. ft. ground-floor retail space.

http://urbanize.la/sites/default/files/styles/1140w/public/field/image/regents1.JPG?itok=irezNljl

caligrad
Dec 9, 2015, 7:30 PM
Century City isn't supposed to be a secondary downtown in the traditional sense. To me, it feels like what someone from the 1960s thought that the year 2000 would look like.

But if you look at Century City from above, you'll notice that when the Century Plaza towers are built, CC will be almost totally symmetrical with the Century Plaza Hotel mirroring 2000 Ave of the Stars and the Century Plaza residential towers mirroring the Century Plaza towers across the street.

Not to mention that almost every building in CC complements each other in some way or another. CC really has a very unique skyline that is grossly unappreciated.

Right! I actually like Century City, based purely on its skyline. As you said, every building somehow compliments another in the city. Its funny, When I drive to take family from out of town to Santa Monica, using the 10, family and friends always say

"What city is that? looks big"

The struggle of trying to explain it in the simplest terms LOL.

caligrad
Dec 9, 2015, 7:42 PM
While that wouldn't solve any density problems, I agree about street feel. Bleecker St being the perfect example.

Right. I mean I'm all for density, I don't mind 7 story blocks and adding some floors in our older districts that need some new blood, Like Hollwood is doing now.

What I was trying to get across to Citywatch was that in the heart of a suburban district, there really isn't a need for a public outcry about power lines or 1-3 story squat buildings since they are to be expected in suburbia. Now if it were korea town, Wilshire corridor, Hollywood, santa monica, long beach or any other dense area, THAN lets bring out the torches.

If you were describing Bunker Hill along Hope and Grand, I wouldn't have argued either.

I was wondering if anybody would have caught what I did there LOL.

Steve8263
Dec 9, 2015, 8:56 PM
More info on the Century Plaza project here, including what looks like a render of the subway portal-

http://www.pcf-p.com/a/p/1035/s.html

-Two 600-foot-tall, 46-story residential towers

Their website explicitly states that images may not be posted so I took them down. Go directly to the link for them instead.

colemonkee
Dec 9, 2015, 10:50 PM
Looking at the Pei Cobb Freed images, it appears that they'll be demoing or at least closing the Equinox on Constellation as well, which should piss off any number of CAA agents who use that as their go-to gym. But the end result will be far better than what we lose temporarily.

King Kill 'em
Dec 9, 2015, 11:04 PM

And that's why I don't like it. Skylines look best when there's a variability of architectural styles and heights with minimal "holes in the skyline". If it were to receive a grade on each of these criteria I'd give it a C- for variability of architectrual styles (It's mostly shitty box with small window modernism and mediocre postmodernism. The only memorable buildings are the 2 Yamasaki ones), a D for height variability, and an F for holes in the skyline.

King Kill 'em
Dec 9, 2015, 11:21 PM

Along Grand I don't think the problem is the same. The Western side of Bunker Hill is almost as bad as Century City but not Grand where great strides have been made recently with the Broad and Emerson opening. In Century City the problem stems from the streets being 10 lanes wide. Grand is only 5. It's also worth noting how much better the architcure of the California Plaza towers and Wells Fargo towers are than all the Century City towers. They're much closer to the street level, their plazas are friendlier though still poor, and their parking entrances/exits as well as those of the other buildings on the street are located on the other side of the block.

The problem on Grand is there's too much office and not enough residential and it's kind of cut off from the rest of downtown. Going forward we only need to do a few things to make it walkable. The Regional Connector station will help fix this in a few years and maybe the Grand Avenue project will better connect it to the civic center if it ever actually happens. We need to reopen angel's flight of course and fix up that park. Then we should tear down the freeway pass on 4th street and make it a normal street that intersects with all the north/south streets. Then Bunker Hill will be more walkable and other stuff etc. For a cherry on top a residential tower in the 800-1000 range on the 4th/Olive lot with an entrance on grand would be nice.

King Kill 'em
Dec 9, 2015, 11:31 PM
Just gonna tie together what I said with my last two posts. What the hell were they on when they designed Century City? Soldiers came back from World War 2 with PTSD but the war gave urban planners and architects a disease called modernism. It made them design transportation systems for machines instead of people and buildings more fit for prisoners than law abiding citizens. Century City is just the epitome of cringeworthy failed modernist ideas and the only way to fix it is to start from the begining. This means redesigning the street grid so the blocks are tighter and the streets have less lanes, extending the purple line, destroying parking garages the ugliest buildings and building residential over office.

BrandonJXN
Dec 10, 2015, 2:45 PM
And that's why I don't like it. Skylines look best when there's a variability of architectural styles and heights with minimal "holes in the skyline". If it were to receive a grade on each of these criteria I'd give it a C- for variability of architectrual styles (It's mostly shitty box with small window modernism and mediocre postmodernism. The only memorable buildings are the 2 Yamasaki ones), a D for height variability, and an F for holes in the skyline.

I think we all need to see this.

Ux0K5QoH2Fg

BuildingsR' Us
Dec 10, 2015, 4:55 PM
Excellent film! I enjoyed the watch.

LAsam
Dec 10, 2015, 6:25 PM
That video is amazing Brandon, thanks for sharing! The first building completed in Century City, Century West office tower, was recently demolished along with much of the original Century Square Mall structure. Century East still stands though!

caligrad
Dec 10, 2015, 11:25 PM
Great video Brandon. I know we whine about the huge plazas and parking structures but back then.......It almost felt like the right thing to do LOL if that makes sense. I get why they designed Century City the way they did, and like someone else stated earlier, Its as if they designed Century City to be the front runner for the "Jetsons" age they thought would be here by the year 2000, sadly we aren't there yet, but I get what they were trying to do.

I think the cool thing about Century City is that we look past it without a second thought, but if you were to place It in any other state, Minus Texas and New York and Florida, it would be considered a major downtown district. If it were placed In Arizona it would give Phoenix a run for its money, especially with the 2 new twins likely breaking ground next year, where as we drive past in on the 10 or Santa Monica Blvd. and just say......"Meh"

King Kill 'em
Dec 10, 2015, 11:57 PM
Wow so much I learned from that video. I take it back Century City's biggest problem isn't it's wide streets, it's the way the commercial, office, and residential buildings are seperated rather than mixed together. Also what happened with all the other residential highrises they planned to build? The rest of the residential section is mostly big auto oriented low rise condos.

bobbyv
Dec 11, 2015, 2:54 AM
City planning commission backs two 30-story towers in Hollywood

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-planning-commission-hollywood-palladium-20151210-story.html

112597jorge
Dec 11, 2015, 3:10 AM
City planning commission backs two 30-story towers in Hollywood

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-planning-commission-hollywood-palladium-20151210-story.html

That's great news, glad the city council are going against the ridiculous accusations being made by the AIDS Foundation.